Impact of a large database size

Hi, I've just installed FM19 and when setting up the season, I noticed that it's giving me a 4* performance rating on a large database. Normally I'd select load all players in top leagues from Europe and South America which is around 68k players but has 1.5* performance. The large database gives you 38k. 

If I manage Manchester United, then how much of a difference is there in the database sizes? I'm not going to miss out on signing anyone major am I as United would typically be looking for more established players (even youngsters) who should be included in the large database right? Presumably having all players loaded would benefit a smaller team looking for a greater range of bargains? 

Is that right? 

Thanks 

To be honest, I never take that much notice of the star rating for computer performance.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that it only indicates the current state of your computer - so if there are a lot of things running on the processor/RAM then it will be lower.

I usually run the game on 1 or 2 stars performance rating without too much issue. Yes it is  little slower, but liveable. 

As far as database size and player numbers - it's up to you. It does have an effect on transfer markets, and newgen creation, and some international teams and tournaments depending on leagues and nations loaded, but it does go without saying that the larger the database, and the more leagues active, the slower it will process between days.

I'm not one who can give you tested figures, but for me, it is more important to have a balanced database, than it is to save a few tenths of a second in processing.

Edited by Snorks

1 hour ago, Snorks said:

I'm not one who can give you tested figures, but for me, it is more important to have a balanced database, than it is to save a few tenths of a second in processing.

By balanced database, are you referring to having more nations added? If speed is not a concern is bigger better? 

Database size will just slow down processing, if you can live with that, it is okay.

The other problem you may face with using a large database is selling players. Particularly if you have a lot of players active but not many leagues. Teams in inactive leagues tend to be a little more passive in the transfer window. What that means is that there are more players available to fill a certain position in a club, which means there is often a cheaper option available and you may find no interest in your players.

If you are playing as Man Utd, you will probably not miss out on anyone in the database who is good and well known even on a large database. I like to keep all top division players when only running a few leagues just to keep the european competitions a bit more realistic for the smaller clubs.

Usually i only used 2 nation league playable, setup large database and advance database to add continents ( based in country + players with nationality ). 

I result, there's about 334k players available eventhough i only used 2 nations playable. My Laptop only a half star :lol:

15 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

By balanced database, are you referring to having more nations added? If speed is not a concern is bigger better? 

A good balance between the number of clubs active, and number of players in the database.

Too many players and not enough clubs (and vice versa) can skew the transfer market in the save.

Personally, I tend to just load the leagues/nations and leave it at the default size.

Edited by Snorks

larger database (read load lots of players) and 1 or 2 league can end up with teams rarely buying players from other teams since there will be better players in lower leagues/free agency lowering transfers fees in the process.

having less player can make the price of the players skyrocketing to Neymar's fee since good players will be rare, i prefer going for the less players since i prefer seeing teams moving a lot in the transfer windows

is up to u and what league are u playing, if u will play as united a good setup would be a medium-small database, adding all top 7 leagues, some good youth nations like netherlands, belgium, turkey, Croatia, etc. add brazil and argetina is a must, maybe add colombia in there, mexico, Japan and South Korea are good options too, remember to add nations that are near your nation too, like for england you could add scotland and both irelands, maybe Wales

this are recomendations, i like to add say bolivian and venezuelan leagues just for the lols to see if those two can somehow qualify to world cup or generate a decent regen

• 1 year later...

I got a new computer for work that has 16 GB RAM and a 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 processor vs the 8 GB RAM I used to have on my personal computer, so I'm trying to load more leagues - about 50! - for a more immersive, "realistic" game world this time.

Because I'm starting in Italy's 3rd tier, I also want to include lower leagues in some of these nations to increase the level of player I will be in the market for. My thought is that once I make it to the top flight I will remove some of these lower leagues that are no longer useful to offset the increase in the game database's size as time goes on.

My question is, should I use a medium or large database with these ~50 leagues? I'm getting mixed signals in different forums, some say that that you should only use the large database if you have lots of leagues loaded to support it, while some say that if there are too many total players in the game the transfer market can suffer. I want more leagues regardless to balance the game world and I love to do a lot of extensive scouting and I love to look up players in my save that I hear about in real life and it's always annoying when they're not loaded.

I remember in the past when I used a large database I really struggled to offload some deadweight when I take over a new topflight club. But sometimes that is exactly how real life works, and perhaps I hadn't loaded enough leagues then, while in theory I should be loading enough leagues now to create enough active clubs to be buying in the transfer window, right?

This save with a large database has 125k players and .5* (yikes), while the medium database knocks the player could down but the star rating didn't go up. Would using this spread things out thinner but fairer, or would it just leave a lot of clubs without enough players? Where are they being taken from to cut down if the number of active leagues stays the same?

9 hours ago, Weston said:

I got a new computer for work that has 16 GB RAM and a 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 processor vs the 8 GB RAM I used to have on my personal computer, so I'm trying to load more leagues - about 50! - for a more immersive, "realistic" game world this time.

Because I'm starting in Italy's 3rd tier, I also want to include lower leagues in some of these nations to increase the level of player I will be in the market for. My thought is that once I make it to the top flight I will remove some of these lower leagues that are no longer useful to offset the increase in the game database's size as time goes on.

My question is, should I use a medium or large database with these ~50 leagues? I'm getting mixed signals in different forums, some say that that you should only use the large database if you have lots of leagues loaded to support it, while some say that if there are too many total players in the game the transfer market can suffer. I want more leagues regardless to balance the game world and I love to do a lot of extensive scouting and I love to look up players in my save that I hear about in real life and it's always annoying when they're not loaded.

I remember in the past when I used a large database I really struggled to offload some deadweight when I take over a new topflight club. But sometimes that is exactly how real life works, and perhaps I hadn't loaded enough leagues then, while in theory I should be loading enough leagues now to create enough active clubs to be buying in the transfer window, right?

This save with a large database has 125k players and .5* (yikes), while the medium database knocks the player could down but the star rating didn't go up. Would using this spread things out thinner but fairer, or would it just leave a lot of clubs without enough players? Where are they being taken from to cut down if the number of active leagues stays the same?

If you are running loads of league. Any database is fine. Small is better then its given credit for as there are less players and more chance of a club going in for your unwanted players. 

On 11/12/2018 at 07:53, sporadicsmiles said:

Database size will just slow down processing, if you can live with that, it is okay.

The other problem you may face with using a large database is selling players. Particularly if you have a lot of players active but not many leagues. Teams in inactive leagues tend to be a little more passive in the transfer window. What that means is that there are more players available to fill a certain position in a club, which means there is often a cheaper option available and you may find no interest in your players.

If you are playing as Man Utd, you will probably not miss out on anyone in the database who is good and well known even on a large database. I like to keep all top division players when only running a few leagues just to keep the european competitions a bit more realistic for the smaller clubs.

Maybe you could help me. I have this problem, seeing my players not really wanted while they are good in Dutch division. I was asking what is best to use. Because i went for a medium or large database and added players of first division of other countries. I only use one team save in one playable country. I add some other divisions just to see, watchable. I notice my transfermarket is very unbalanced. Should i just use a small database in this case or? 

And for example, i will go for Real madrid save too, one playable division. If i want my players being sold easily, should i go then for small database instead of advanced and adding more in, to keep the balance? 

Hope you can really help me here, because the unbalance make it very unhappy playing. 

I use medium, I don't want to mess up the transfer market. I actually want to be able to sell players when I need to. I start with 15 leagues, and then cut leagues when I climb the charts. I reach end game with 12 leagues with a medium database.

I don't run more leagues because I want my game to be snappy (with a Core i5 3.2 GHz).

The issue is not as much in the database, but in facepacks / logopacks. For those of you with external graphics, I would advise seeing the "rating" with and without the additional graphics.

Getting the megapacks was the first thing I always did on previous FMs, but on FM20, I've grown more accustomed to play without them and just enjoy the game in its "full speed" :)  

17 hours ago, oche balboa said:

If you are running loads of league. Any database is fine. Small is better then its given credit for as there are less players and more chance of a club going in for your unwanted players. 

So if I have a large database with 50+ leagues will I have an unrealistic level of difficulty selling players or will it be a realistic level of difficulty?