2nd and 3rd tactics

How do you approach your 2nd and 3rd tactics? Do you train 3 completely different tactics?

Just started a game with West Ham, sorted out my main tactic and now I'm about to sort out the other 2, in 1 of them I'm thinking of keeping the formation the same but changing roles/duties and in the other training a completely different one but just interested to see how others approach it.

It depends on the team and squad  I have. Not familiar with West Ham so can;t offer specific advice but I start with the Media Prediction - I am guessing West Ham a re somewhere around mid-table?

In which case I would have my primary tactic set up to get the best out of the Key Players - this is now West Ham's way of playing. I will have another tactic set up which is more attacking than the first - to use against weaker teams or when chasing a goal. The third is the opposite, a defensive 'park the bus' to use against stronger teams or when holding a lead and closing the game out.

If in charge of a top team I will look at more attacking/dominating tactics and as a lower level team have three tactics that are more cautious. Either way, I will have one defensive, one possession/counter and one attacking tactic that suits the players I have.

I rarely have more than one tactic with the same formation - I prefer to adjust mentalities and roles/duties on the fly - but I do generally have three tactics that can easily be switched without relying on too many substitutions. EG: 4141 DM Wide (4123) can be switched with a 4231 with one substitution (possibly none if the right players are there).

As I ways play 4-4-2, my 2nd and 3rd is meant for late game situations where I need to score a late equalizer or protect a winner draw. The former is 3-4-3 and i sub a full back out, replaced by an attacking mid in the final 15 minutes. OR...I go 4-5-1 with 5-10 minutes remaining, putting in a d+mid for a forward. The player roles are all set accordingly, more attack or defense.

Archived