The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

Kinsella was getting on when he left and past his best, Parker hasn#t had a game which was obviously going to happen as soon as he left, Jensen's been injured since he left but he's playing for not such a great team, and Carlton was rubbish for us, and for Villa

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bellz2002:

this is the time of the season when we fall away so i expect the same again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nah, thats not going to happen this season. i mean, we can't sell parker again can we? and the season before that we just ran out of legs.

i think this season we got all our bad results out of the way at the begining. hopefully this season we will finish on a high!

*crosses fingers*

Well we have to hope Chelsea win the League Cup, Man Utd Arsenal FA Cup final, which would mean 6th and 7th are UEFA Cup places. Still it will be very hard to finish 7th again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMaddick:

I actually do feel that on the back of the Leicester match we will collapse the rest of the season like normal and finish 11th or 12th

I want to be pleasantly suprised though! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>10th!!!

what about the Intertoto?

should we enter it this season if we don't qualify for Europe?

i think we should

we should of entered in it last season, but curbs said it would take too much out of the players... so instead took them on a tour in china, which was probably worse.

Taking over the South-East: icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Valley Ex-pand!

The Valley Express coach service is expanding again - and now fans can travel to The Valley from Sussex and Essex as well as Kent.

Additional pick-up points will be in operation from the West Bromwich Albion match on Saturday, March 19th (3pm) for the final five matches of the Premiership season.

And from its relatively small beginnings bringing supporters to SE7 from the likes of Ramsgate and Margate, Valley Express has grown to encompass three counties in the space of just seven months.

Indeed, fans can now take advantage of organised coach travel to The Valley for just £5 per head from more than 70 pick-up points - double the number available just one month ago.

The new routes are:

Bromley: Biggin Hill, Bromley Common, Bromley North; West Wickham and Hayes; Locksbottom, Orpington, St Mary Cray, Petts Wood and Chislehurst.

Essex: South Benfleet, Pitsea, Basildon, Grays, Thurrock; Chelmsford, Brentwood and Romford.

Sussex and Kent: Eastbourne, East Grinstead and Edenbridge; Westerham; New Romney and Tenterden.

In addition, the service will be adopting the existing A21 coach operated by the local supporters' club branch for the last 10 years, with pick-ups at Bexhill, Hastings, Ore, Battle, Robertsbridge and Pembury.

Co-founder and travel secretary of the Hastings and Bexhill branch, George Noble, said: "One of the biggest problems we have down here is persuading people that tickets for matches are available.

"Transport to London from here is very difficult, to the extent that the little bit of snow we got in midweek meant all trains from Hastings were cancelled.

"A coach to Charlton in around two hours, with a number of pick-ups en route, is incredibly convenient and cheap at just £5."

The Hastings and Bexhill branch is predominantly travel-based, and Noble is hoping a surge in numbers travelling to The Valley will also lead to a branch membership increase.

He said: "At the moment we take 35-40 season-ticket holders to every game, plus people who ask for the occasional match.

"It's hard so far away from the club, but if enough people show an interest we hope to be able to start running social events as well."

Key to the success of the scheme's expansion will be advertising, and Valley Express organisers are planning to run adverts promoting the availability of tickets and travel to Charlton matches in a dozen different newspapers, all but two of which will be for the first time.

"Before we were promoted to the Premiership we took seven coaches to a match against Reading and we took the same number to the play-off final," said George.

"The interest is there but the only coverage of the club down here is on Teletext, or occasionally on Meridian or BBC South East. Promoting ticket availability and the easy travel is the first step and then I'm sure the fanbase will grow."

Valley Express started prior to the opening home game of the 2004/05 campaign against Portsmouth, when fans in Thanet benefited, with further pick-up points subsequently added in Birchington.

By mid-October the route encompassed Deal and Sandwich and Herne Bay and Whitstable soon followed.

By the home match against Birmingham City on January 15th there were more than 30 pick-up points across the county as the Valley Express service was officially launched by Addicks boss Alan Curbishley at The Valley, and more than 1,000 supporters used the coaches to travel to see Charlton take on Liverpool at the start of February.

Now, over 500 bookings have been made more than three weeks in advance of the West Brom game, so the service is going from strength to strength.

And with no trains between Blackheath and Charlton - closing off the Blackheath/Lewisham connections to the Bexleyheath, Sidcup and Hayes lines - on Saturday, March 19th (the day of the match against West Bromwich Albion), organisers are expecting the coach service to again take the strain caused by engineering work.

Details of the exact departure points and timings can be found at www.cafc.co.uk/valleyexpress.

Combined ticket and travel bookings for the West Brom match are open from 8am-6pm Monday to Friday on 0800 587 1100, as well as online. Five-match ticket and travel packages are also available and existing season-ticket holders are welcome to book travel only.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=21761

*Waits for Paul Scally to start saying how wrong we are for doing this*

And another bit of news, Nathan Ashton (England u18, left back) has signed a pro contract until 2006. We seem to have a few doing that now (Walker, Randolph and Elliot not long ago). Probably means they are the ones staying, the others will leave.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

yeah, we got some good youngsters. But will they ever get a chance though? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully, thing is its not as easy like it was 8-10 or so years ago, when Parker and Konchesky came into the team at 16/17, eventually playing more until they played regularly. Shame it will probably take a load of injuries for them to get a chance though, or Curbishley taking a risk in a cup game like with Thomas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tragic death on Charlton Euro course

A man tragically died in Spain on Thursday while taking part on a course being run by the Charlton Athletic European Soccer School.

Robert Smith, believed to be in his mid-30's, suffered a suspected heart attack during a Football Association Level One coaching certificate session in Deportivo Pilar, near Torrevieja.

"Despite the best efforts of our staff and paramedics he could not be revived, and our thoughts and prayers at this time are with Robert's family," said Charlton chief executive Peter Varney.

"I would like to pay tribute to all of the club's staff in Spain for the professional and caring way in which they are handling this tragedy."

Community scheme manager Jason Morgan flew out to Spain on Thursday night and will compile a report on the incident for the club, which will be passed to the authorities both in Spain and England.

With the permission of the Spanish FA, several members of the Addicks community scheme flew out to Spain earlier this week to run a series of coach education courses to help the soccer school to expand.

Matt Parish and Sean Daly, along with soccer school co-founder David Greene, were among the coaches running the three-day course in Torrevieja.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

some bad news there. icon_frown.gif

icon_frown.gif

Some good news, the FM 2005 2nd patch will have a data update, so Jerome Thomas (and some changes to El Karkouri, Bartlett etc, our finances, staff), its much more realistic although the updated PPMs I wanted couldn't be added. Jani Tanska is also there now, but as the potential is random its a good idea to look out for all the youngsters (I've loaded new games to test the patch, their potential can be completely different every time) as even someone with 0 potential might be a great player if you're lucky icon_smile.gif

I'd bite their hand off for him, I think Curbishley could do something with him if he provides Kezman with alot of chances unlike Jeffers, and it seems we can waste £2.5m a la Jeffers and just have him play occasionally so even if Kezman got 5 goals a season it'd be worth the risk

Cmon you addicks for the game against Boro, I really hope we play 4-4-2 but it's very unlikely

another draw againat fulham. icon_frown.gif

we should have won that game, but its the same old story... if we had teeth our bite would be dangerous.

i don't see why in the second half when we were dominating the game curbs didn't stick on jeffers.

it was even more annoying seeing as every other team between 4th and 9th lost (apart from bolton who play tonight) so another 2 points would have been a real boost.

i hope we can get a result against spurs tomorrow. i think we could nick it 1-0.

anyone hear about the Damien Francis rumour?

Curbs was at the man c v norwich game and its reported he went to watch him.

i don't care who we buy as long as we get a decent striker.

I caught the bit of the norwich match when Curbishley was on, slightly annoyed me that he was wearing a burberry scarf icon_biggrin.gif

I guess he probably was looking at Francis, as it was pointed out I doubt there were any Man City players that would interest us

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FMaddick:

I caught the bit of the norwich match when Curbishley was on, slightly annoyed me that he was wearing a burberry scarf icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the same! I guess it was real burberry though.

Yea the Spurs game is next Wednesday.

I saw that Francis rumour, he could have been looking at other players as well though, it just sounds realisitic so they probably guessed it was Francis.

Sivy do you mean you don't care if we buy Francis as long as we get a striker as well, because he is a midfielder icon_confused.gif

Yea, it would likely be a lot less if we did sign him, a player would have to be very good for us to pay £3m (probably only strikers at the moment?).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

Sivy do you mean you don't care if we buy Francis as long as we get a striker as well, because he is a midfielder icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, i mean that we need a striker, so i don't care who else we buy as long as we buy a striker as well. we need someone who can score goals regularly, right now it’s the only thing holding us back.

Well hopefully, really it depends who is avaliable. Its unlikely we will pay £3m+ unless they are proven enough, so Darren Bent for £5m isn't going to happen.

3 home games coming up now, would be good if we tried 4-4-2 with Bartlett and Jeffers and just go for the win.

With the 5.0.5 patch (well same happens with 5.0.3) our youngsters really develop well, mainly Tanska and Walker for me icon_cool.gif-

Tanska at the start-

http://img94.exs.cx/img94/3089/tanska20049ef.jpg

Tanska in 2 years later in 2006-

http://img94.exs.cx/img94/1696/tanska20066ux.jpg

Walker at the start-

http://img94.exs.cx/img94/6200/walker20047kx.jpg

Walker 2 years later in 2006-

http://img94.exs.cx/img94/5584/walker20068pg.jpg

yes, good job. the new data is a lot more accurate... unfortunately icon_biggrin.gif

Rommadahl used to get 9s and 10s all the time and i would end up selling him to chelsea for £20m... now , like real life, he's a lot more inconsistent, but still has moments of genius now and again.

Jerome Thomas is more accurate too, although he seems to get tired a lot.

as for the youngsters- Randolph, Ashton and Sankofa seem to progess well, but i find that Long and Sam don't do well at all when they go out on loan and usually come back with average ratings of between 5 & 6.

however i'm loving the fact that i can actually sell Kishishev now. he usually goes to Southampton £600k icon_razz.gif

It'll be even more realistic in FM 2006, such as our strikers finishing icon_frown.gif

I didn't put Thomas stamina too high as he has looked a bit tired at times IRL, but he will improve I think so he won't be as bad in future I don't think. Ashton and Sankofa haven't improved much for me, I guess you were lucky with their random attributes, hopefully I get more info on them so they aren't so random. The game also makes Thomas worse, although there should be some improvements to stop that in FM 2006 icon_smile.gif

I sold Rommedahl to Wigan for £4m icon_biggrin.gif

The reserves play tonight, basically just Lisbie from the first team.

woohoo!! we beat coventry! good to see kevin lisbie back to scoring ways.

can someone please tell me why if a player gets sent off in a reserve match, he is ineligible for the premiership? seems a bit harsh to me.

as for curbs to man city, well he is always getting linked to every club! i suppose we will have to get used to it. but he won't uproot from his stable home and move to manchester. if he is going to leave us he will go to arsenal when mr wenger goes. thats my opinion. seems logical.

sir alan wont leave us for another team on the same level. he wants to go to a big club when his contract is up which i believe to be when he is 50. either arsenal or england.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHARLTON ATHLETIC against Tottenham is the 24th London Premiership derby of the season, pitting two sides sitting adjacent to each other in mid table. The Addicks are the superior by one point, with a total of 40 - three behind Bolton in sixth place, despite drawing their last three Premiership matches. Their last game was also a capital clash - goalless, away to Fulham - while their most recent run out at the Valley resulted in an embarrassing 1-2 defeat by Championship side Leicester, in the fifth round of the FA Cup.

These clubs have met five times in the Premiership at the Valley and six times at White Hart Lane, and only two of those fixtures have been home wins - both on Charlton turf. But if Athletic are beaten this time around, it will be their 400th defeat in top flight football. The Addicks have won 333 top flight games in their history, while Spurs have collected 3,333 points from top flight football.

Charlton took full advantage of Tottenham's troubles when they won the reverse fixture in November 2-3, with two superb strikes from Shaun Bartlett. The game came the day after Jacques Santini's shock resignation as Tottenham manager. The Addicks are therefore on course for only their second 'double' over Spurs in their history. They've been competing against each other since 1929, but Athletic's only previous home and away maximum was in 2001/02.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR finally achieved a victory this season in a London Premiership derby at the eighth attempt when they beat Fulham 2-0 in their most recent home game last month. It was only Spurs' second maximum in 23 League derbies, the first was at the Valley - now they're looking to complete two in a row.

Martin Jol's side have won eight of 16 top flight games since his permanent appointment as manager, but have lost their last three away from home. They're searching for a first maximum on the road since the 0-2 triumph at Norwich on Boxing Day, and need to bounce back from Sunday's disappointment in the FA Cup at Newcastle.

Spurs are chasing a third successive League victory at the Valley. Last season's corresponding fixture in February 2004 ended 2-4. Spurs raced into a three goal lead for the second time in a week, but held onto it this time having lost a dramatic FA Cup tie to Manchester City just days previously. A late goal from Johnnie Jackson put the issue beyond any doubt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Referee:

Chris Foy (St Helens)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">woohoo!! we beat coventry! good to see kevin lisbie back to scoring ways.

can someone please tell me why if a player gets sent off in a reserve match, he is ineligible for the premiership? seems a bit harsh to me.

as for curbs to man city, well he is always getting linked to every club! i suppose we will have to get used to it. but he won't uproot from his stable home and move to manchester. if he is going to leave us he will go to arsenal when mr wenger goes. thats my opinion. seems logical.

sir alan wont leave us for another team on the same level. he wants to go to a big club when his contract is up which i believe to be when he is 50. either arsenal or england. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scoring ways... and Kevin Lisbie icon_eek.gif When has he ever been in scoring ways icon_biggrin.gif

Agree on the ban thing, but Im not too bothered about rushing Lisbie back, Jeffers should be ahead of him.

Thing is Arsenal etc will want a manager with European experiance, at the moment Curbishley has none. I can't see why he would go to Man City or someone though icon_smile.gif

Curbs will only leave if he is offered a job from one of the top four prem clubs or the england job.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Scoring ways... and Kevin Lisbie icon_eek.gif When has he ever been in scoring ways icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol

Getting up at 4am to watch tonights game here in KL. We better play well icon_mad.gif

Got the beers, crisps, and dip in. Will only be about the 6th times i've seen us live this season icon_frown.gif

Making up for it when I get back next week though. Going to as many games as I can. Already booked the fratton park tickets.

Charlton favourites to sign Danny Gabbidon from Cardiff City...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Fulham boss Chris Coleman faces stiff competition from Blackburn and Charlton for the Welsh international Gabbidon as Cardiff City look to offloaded the player as they are in serious financial problems.

Charlton are the favourites to win the race for the defender's services, but Blackburn boss Mark Hughes knows the player from the Wales international set-up so must still be in with a chance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gabbidon is a good player so i wouldn't mind him coming to charlton as long as we don't pay over the odds for him.

Skysports's Prediction for tonight's game against spurs: 2-1

i hope they are right.

Anyone seen the thread 'Jerome Thomas', everyone is just making the goal sound as poor as possible, yet you know if it was scored by a lot of other players it would be goal of the month or something icon_biggrin.gif

That ref (Foy) was terrible, wouldn't touch his cards in the first half, then used them in the 2nd for small things. Why did Euell get booked for carrying on and shooting after being offside yet Defoe didn't icon_confused.gif

On Sky Sports they show that Murphy tackle, yet the ref didn't book the Spurs players, or Sky or anyone else mention/show those terrible tackles from Paramot hacking down Thomas twice, and all the moaning and poor tackles from Keane, Brown and Reid. icon_mad.gif

Then Liverpool draw and they aren't catching up with Everton, they should be worrying about 5th/6th place instead of expecting 4th as some sort of right.

it was a good goal and Thomas has been our player of the season so far IMO

i don't really care about the ref's performance... mind you I wouldn’t say that if we hadn’t of won though icon_biggrin.gif

hopefully we'll get another 3 points against west brom.

5-0 would be good, that will get our GD into the positive icon_biggrin.gif

after that we got Man City, Portsmouth and Bolton. could we win 5 in a row? that would be nice seeing as we got Man U and chelsea still to play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bellz2002:

im going for a comfortable 2-0 win against spurs.

as for FM2005, congrats scoham. keep it up!

plus we got a reserve game against coventry soon. hopefully win that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh yes! \o/ i thank you!

glad we beat spurs, i knew we would. we will crank it up a gear now and hopefully noone will be able to stop the Valley Express marching onto Europe!!

west brom score? i will go for 3-0.

and our gd is -4 \o/ lets see if we can get positive gd by the end of the year!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

Anyone seen the thread 'Jerome Thomas', everyone is just making the goal sound as poor as possible, yet you know if it was scored by a lot of other players it would be goal of the month or something icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's just the way it is isn't it icon13.gif I remember Jensen's goal at Highboury about 3 years? ago when we won 4-2. Probably one of the most technicly superb goals I have ever seen, and although it did win goal of the month, you know if that had been Bergkamp there would've been utter disbelief at it.

Archived