The Charlton Athletic Thread: Season 04/05

FMaddick

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Every team loses. THis whole end of season slump is being completely exaggerated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, if we lose everyone starts going on about same as usual, just give the players a chance.

We have to keep 4-5-1, Jeffers needs to play, Im listening on the Internet radio thing, Jeffers hasn't started since September!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scoham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Every team loses. THis whole end of season slump is being completely exaggerated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, if we lose everyone starts going on about same as usual, just give the players a chance.

We have to keep 4-5-1, Jeffers needs to play, Im listening on the Internet radio thing, Jeffers hasn't started since September! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I got a bit over worried bout the slump

But having just checked how we've done last 10 games of 02/03 and 03/04, we've done awfully in comparison to the season, and last week plus the start to this week seemed very ominous

Cmon lads, 4-2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

Scoham are you going to be adding Konchesky's ability to play cm in FM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its already there icon_wink.gif train him to play DMC or CM and it won't take very long until it is visible. Same with Thomas for MR/AMR. I might make it visible, not sure yet.

Sun Mar 02 Arsenal 12:00 A L 0-2 Premiership

Sat Mar 15 Newcastle United 15:00 H L 0-2 Premiership

Sat Mar 22 Middlesbrough 15:00 A D 1-1 Premiership

Sat Apr 05 Leeds United 15:00 A L 1-6 Premiership

Sat Apr 12 Blackburn Rovers 15:00 A L 0-1 Premiership

Sat Apr 19 Birmingham City 15:00 H L 0-2 Premiership

Mon Apr 21 Liverpool 15:00 A L 1-2 Premiership

Sat Apr 26 Southampton 15:00 H W 2-1 Premiership

Sat May 03 Manchester United 12:30 A L 1-3 Premiership

Sun May 11 Fulham 15:00 H L 0-1 Premiership

Sat Mar 20 Newcastle United 17:30 A L 1-3 Premiership

Sat Mar 27 Aston Villa 15:00 H L 1-2 Premiership

Sat Apr 10 Portsmouth 15:00 H D 1-1 Premiership

Mon Apr 12 Liverpool 15:00 A W 1-0 Premiership

Sat Apr 17 Birmingham City 15:00 H D 1-1 Premiership

Tue Apr 20 Manchester United 20:00 A L 0-2 Premiership

Sat Apr 24 Fulham 15:00 A L 0-2 Premiership

Sat May 01 Leicester City 15:00 H D 2-2 Premiership

Sat May 08 Leeds United 15:00 A D 3-3 Premiership

Sat May 15 Southampton 15:00 H W 2-1 Premiership

Sat Mar 05 Fulham 15:00 A D 0-0 Premiership

Wed Mar 16 Tottenham Hotspur 20.00 H W 2-0 Premiership

Sat Mar 19 West Bromwich Albion 15:00 H L 1-4 Premiership

Sat Apr 02 Manchester City 12:45 H D 2-2 Premiership

Sat Apr 09 Portsmouth 15:00 A Premiership

Sat Apr 16 Bolton Wanderers 15:00 H Premiership

Wed Apr 20 Aston Villa 19:45 A Premiership

Sat Apr 23 Norwich City 15:00 A Premiership

Sun May 01 Manchester United 16:05 H Premiership

Sat May 07 Chelsea 12:45 A Premiership

Sun May 15 Crystal Palace 15:00 H Premiership

Same as ever again this season???

I think we'll get 3 or 4 points the rest of the season, no chance vs Chelsea or United, might beat Norwich or Palace and get a draw at the other

Ave it icon_wink.gif

I thought Danny Murphy was outstanding today for you. Jeffers didn't look interested.

As I said to Scoham earlier in the week the last thing you needed was to play against a Pompey team with a new manager.

Kamara's goal is a peach though icon_wink.gif

Well we never do well against Man Utd, we won't now against 'new' Chelsea with their superteam, I can't see us doing well against Bolton. We will have to do something very special to get into Europe now.

Jeffers needs a run in the team, the other strikers have, its about time he does.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by King Jeff:

As long as we can relegate Palace on the last day, I don't really give a **** about any of the other results this year tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly the way I'm feeling at the moment icon_biggrin.gif

Though if we lose conceding 4 in any more matches this season, i will be very icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

is it still mathematically possible to get relegated? if so i'm worried. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Southampton can get 45 points by winning every game, we have 44.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sivy:

i'm worried.

Bartlett is out for the rest of the season according to skysports, so at least Jeffers will get a few games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a way I'm pleased, because it should now give Jeffers a run, and if he doesn't it will show everyone how wrong Curbishley can sometimes be

I'm pretty sure we won't get relegated, we'll tonk Palace on the last day of the season icon_cool.gif

lol relegation is not what we should be thinking about. but our europe hopes are screwed. we need to do what everton did this year and get there mega early ready for this phase we go through EVERY YEAR!

in summer we need 2 positions: A commanding DC to play w/ Talal and a striker who can score!

yeah we definitely need a new CD (Danny Gabbidon?) and a striker. Perhaps another midfielder on the cheap, just for cover (the news of the world are still saying Damien Francis is a Charlton target)

just booked my tickets for the Bolton game.

i'm hoping my presence can inspired them to get a win icon_biggrin.gif

of course it is, i don't seriously think there's any chance of relegation. but if the lower positioned teams keep winning and we keep losing we may end up in the lower third of the table.

it's just disappointing that yet again we get to the later stages of the season and it all goes to pot.

I think we'll wind up on 50 points. The Man U and Chelsea games are write-offs (although Chelsea should have already clinched who knows what team they'll play) and I think Bolton will beat us too.

In terms of where I think we'll get our points between now and the end of the year, I can see us grabbing at least a draw at Villa and I'd be happy with a point at Norwich. The team better be fired up to play Palace on the last day so we can take three points off them. Realistically, I'm thinking we'll end the year around 11th, which is exactly what I had us doing at the start of the season.

In terms of next year, pretty much what Sivy said: a central back and striker for sure and I'd want another midfielder in case there are ongoing problems with Matty Holland's fitness...

ok lets start the transfer speculation

as for strikers here's a list of players we could get linked with come the summer...

Derek Riordan - valued at £1m, Bolton & Spurs apparently interested.

Nathan Ellington - unlikely, seeing as wigan are going up. clubs might wait to see how he performs in the premiership before making a move.

Darren Bent - Probably wont want to move as Ipswich are probably going to be promoted. Plus its doubtful that Ipswich would lower their valuation.

Matty Fryatt – a few premiership sides are keeping an eye on this promising forward. I doubt Walsall would be unwilling to sell if the price was right.

Craig Bellamy – either Celtic and Birmingham will probably sign Bellamy but depending on what Newcastle’s asking price is it might be worth bidding.

Robbie Keane – Everton look set to sign Keane, although Newcastle are also interested. Probably out of Charlton price range.

Patrick Kluivert – looks like Newcastle might be releasing Kluivert in the summer. Could be a target – if he lowers his wage demands.

Darius Vassell – we were linked to Vassell last summer, if villa go on a spending spree Vassell might become surplus to requirements.

Lisandro Lopez – apparently charlton scouts went to watch him during the winter. no move was made, but maybe there will be at the end of the season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Darius Vassell – we were linked to Vassell last summer, if villa go on a spending spree Vassell might become surplus to requirements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No chance - especially after how sharp he's been looking for us since he came back from injury.

Alot of it depends where we finish in the league and how much the board will stump up

We're not going to get into Europe now for certain, so we won't get brilliant players IMO yet we need to buy those who will take us to the next level

Players I would like would be Robbie Keane and the like, but it's unlikely they would join us

Hopefully we can clear out Euell and Lisbie for half decent prices

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheer Class:

No doubt Yakubu will be added to that list as well icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably, but don't you want around £10m for him? Maybe you will go down and we will get him for £4m + Fish and Lisbie icon_wink.gif

No one will surely be stupid enough to pay £1-2m for Lisbie would they icon_biggrin.gif

Riordan is amazing in the FM data update, is Vassell good enough to get at least 10 goals every season?

Can't imagine us signing someone like Kluivert, but them everyone would say that about Di Canio.

£500k for Lisble if we're lucky

there's no way we could get yabuku.

Portsmonth were turning down £10m bids for him in the winter.

however Julius Aghahowa might be a target. he's been looking to come to the premiership for awhile, almost went to Bolton i believe. i don't think Shakhtar Donetsk could stand in the way if a premiership club came in.

i think Kluivert is a real possibility. He knows all about us now and can probably see that a player like him could get us to the next level.. The main rival I would say for his signature is AZ Alkmaar as they have qualified for the champions league and have got the money to offer him even more wages than he getting right now. But then having had a taste of the premiership I think he would want to stay, plus having not done so well at Newcastle he might still think he’s got something to prove. He took quite a pay cut when he went to Newcastle but he would need another one if he went to Charlton.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">there's no way we could get yabuku.

Portsmonth were turning down £10m bids for him in the winter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then again Holland nearly went to Villa for £4.5m. If he requests a transfer and a club comes in that he wants to go to it will be hard for them to get £10m+.

We'll probably end up signing players we don't get linked with again.

Teletext has lists of 5 players from each club to vote for as their player of the season

Charlton's are:

Danny Murphy

Dean Kiely

Jerome Thomas

Hermann Hreidarsson

And...

Francis Jeffers icon_biggrin.gif

Mark Fish is on the injury list now, Bartlett's injury is not as bad as first thought but could still rule him out for the rest of the season, and Kish is still feeling pain from his nose

its a close call between Kiely and Thomas.

if it wasn't for Kiely we would be in the bottom half of the table for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Mark Fish is on the injury list now </div></BLOCKQUOTE> \o/

Hreidarsson and Jeffers??? What a joke, how are they ahead of El Karkouri who has been a a great defender and scored important goals. Young has been consistent as well.

Thomas hasn't done as well recently, I've already seen people call him lazy.

understable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats meant to say 'understandable'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedRob:

1. Young

2. Kiely

3. Thomas

4. Perry

Is probably my list icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I thought you was one of the very few Charlton fans who actually knew abit about the club.

El Kak >>> The rest.

Though Young is a good shout, improved so, so much since his terrible first season with us

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZanteMatt:

1. Young

2. Kiely

3. Thomas

4. Perry

And I thought you was one of the very few Charlton fans who actually knew abit about the club.

El Kak >>> The rest.

Though Young is a good shout, improved so, so much since his terrible first season with us </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really it's personal opinion

Some people prefer those who score the most goals, while other like those who create or those who stop goals

Alot depends if you're comparing to previous performances or just this season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZanteMatt:

1. Young

2. Kiely

3. Thomas

4. Perry

El Kak >>> The rest.

Though Young is a good shout, improved so, so much since his terrible first season with us </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops, forgot el kak from the list icon_redface.gif It's because he's gone off the radar since his suspension.

Anyways, he has been fantastic but there have been quite a few good performers this season. Perry has put in some fantastic performances (newcastle comes to mind)but has been out of the team quite a bit. HH has been his usual brilliantly consistant self (apart from the City horror show) whilst Young has been really really good. Very solid in defense, and providing some top quality crosses as well. Although putting him first was probably a little over the top.

Murphy would certainly have got it from me if he had the form he showed in the middle part of the season throughout the whole season. He has been running the show. unfortunately his bad spell recently and at the beginning of the season put him out of it this season. Pretty similar with Thomas, who for 100k has been fantastic. Surpassed any expectation I had of the guy, but once again, form is suffering at the moment.

It's actually quite a hard one to call. Thomas, El Kak, Murphy, Young, HH and Kiely all have a shout.

ZanteMatt do you have any info on our u18 players? Some of the players still have their prefered foot missing, and most have hardly any attributes. I would defintly like more info on Tanska, since he is highly rated (have you seen him play?).

just saw this on skysports.com

they've done a list of subs that have had positive impact on games. at the end it says this....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A special mention most also be made for Charlton Athletic's Jason Euell, who has failed to alter the destination of any Premiership points in each of his 15 substitute appearances this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

why didn't we sell him to palace again?

Archived