4-1-4-1 Midfield Spacing issue

I just got into FM 2019 a few days ago after skipping FM 2018.

I'm running into a recurring issue with my 4-1-4-1 (as the game calls it).  Namely, 2 centrals and my DM bunch up constantly, creating no central passing options, resulting in a lot of passes being sent to the wing or pointless unproductive passing to a player 3 meters away.

I'm managing L1 Peterborough, who are a top half projected side.  I'm currently in a playoff spot halfway through the season.  I get tons of possession, but typically win 1-0 with almost no CCCs.

I'm running balanced mentality, an AP(A), CM(S) and a DM(D).  I've tried tweaking those roles, alternating duties, adding and removing roaming for various players as well as forward runs, and it doesn't seem to matter.  My side overall plays short passing and a high line and standard attacking width.

See the attached screenshots. These are typical, not exceptions.

Suggestions?  Or is this just the way the engine works?

In #1, the DM has the ball, and again, VAST space to the right, but the AP instead is tight in near the ball and obstructed by the marker, unable to receive the ball.

FMBunched3.JPG

In #2, my FB has the ball, and the 3 players forward and to the right are the DM, CM, and AP.  Notice the VAST space to the right which is completely unoccupied.  Instead, all 3 players can be marked by a single man.

FMBunched2.JPG

In #3, I have the ball up front on the wing, and my two CMs are basically running side by side within touching distance.

FMbunched1.JPG

1 hour ago, Gegenklaus said:

Use the PI with stay wider for the two central midfielders - it makes them split so they don’t bunch up too much. That’s what worked for me of course. :)

I always get that advice and I agree with you that actually works, but this is just such a weird issue, isn't it? Like those players should recognise that there is space next to them, why not move there?

1 minute ago, robot_skeleton said:

I always get that advice and I agree with you that actually works, but this is just such a weird issue, isn't it? Like those players should recognise that there is space next to them, why not move there?

A million dollar question. I don't know, to be honest. :)

3 horas atrás, Experienced Defender disse:

Mate, you'll need to post a screenshot of your tactic, so that we could analyze what is potentially causing your issues. Otherwise, we can only speculate.

I bet he's using 2 playmakers.

Consider the roles and formation your using.  The AP regardless of duty looks to collect the ball deeper and he's paired with a CM-S who stays in the middle of the pitch. They're doing what you've told them to do. 

Regarding them not being available what are there mental attributes? Are they good at making themselves available?

Archived