Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '09

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reading through the pages here wwfan says that we should not give free roll to strikers (ST), only forwards (FC). But how about Strikers (ST) that are accomplished in AMR/L/C positons? I.E Karim Benzema or Strikers that have the moves into channels PPM i.e David Villa. Surely these types of ST would benefit from free rolls?

reading through the pages here wwfan says that we should not give free roll to strikers (ST), only forwards (FC). But how about Strikers (ST) that are accomplished in AMR/L/C positons? I.E Karim Benzema or Strikers that have the moves into channels PPM i.e David Villa. Surely these types of ST would benefit from free rolls?

The reason why wwfan says that is whilst FCs and STs are both forwards, an FC has a hidden attribute for Free Roles of 15 or higher. What that means is that if you had two otherwise identical forwards one of which had a FR rating of 8 and the other 16, the former would be shown as an ST in the game and the latter an FC. Of all the positions in FM this is the easiest way to know a player's hidden Free Role rating (roughly).

Players with a low Free Role rating will not be suited to that instruction but for those that do, pay close attention to their Creativity and Decisions ratings as these also affect their ability to perform the Free Role well.

Furthermore, in a tactical sense, I think wwfan would agree that there are advantages to not having your most advanced forward deviate too much from his position. An example would be if your wingers are instructed to cross the ball - they need to have a consistent target to aim for. Assigning the Free Role to AMCs or advanced wingers allows them to roam and find space, when they receive the ball they can look to play a ball to, or cross for, the striker. If your FC/ST has wandered out of position to either flank then there's less oportunity for the chance to be finished. This is particularly important if using a single striker formation like me!

OKAY, WOW! Let me add my comment of thanks. Incredibly detailed and easy to read guide, really well written.

Further more, the epiphany moment:

CM93/94 was a game of picking a tactic and watching.

FM09 is not the same game. You need to guide your players by changing things about through the game.

Thanks so much. Massive difference in my results, and more importantly, my enjoyment of the game.

Help, yes i really need some help, ive have really tried to understand how the new tactics work, ive spent the last few days messing around with different tactics, trying to make one, but is it me or is it really complicated now, i dont know what im doing wrong or doing right for that matter.

Im managing Arsenal at the moment and cannot for the life of me get Fabergas to do anything at all, the best thing ive made is the def, absolutly fantastic but the rest of the team falls apart.

I playing a 442, and also can you tell me the different between short and direct passing.

I just need someone out there to give me a helping hand, please.

You can post me a private message if you want or write on here, i look forward to here. Cheers

Hi Guys!

I decided to try out these kind of things with a more powerful squad like Real Madrid... Everythings seems to be fine, we have played 20 games so far won 13 and drawn 7 which is quite a lot because we are unable to score many of our good chances... my players play well, creating wonderful chances but just can not find the back of the net... We conceded only 8 goals in this 20 match run but scored only 29 although we have 3-4 clear cut changes per match as well :S

Any idea?

reading through the pages here wwfan says that we should not give free roll to strikers (ST), only forwards (FC). But how about Strikers (ST) that are accomplished in AMR/L/C positons?

ST's that are retrained to AMC become AM/FC's or at least they did in FM08.

I assume they also gain points in Free Role when this happens.

Hi Guys!

I decided to try out these kind of things with a more powerful squad like Real Madrid... Everythings seems to be fine, we have played 20 games so far won 13 and drawn 7 which is quite a lot because we are unable to score many of our good chances... my players play well, creating wonderful chances but just can not find the back of the net... We conceded only 8 goals in this 20 match run but scored only 29 although we have 3-4 clear cut changes per match as well :S

Any idea?

I was having trouble scoring too when someone suggested squad gelling was a major factor.

He was right.

You'll just have to put up with your players missing easy chances for the time being. Especially if your strikers are new.

After 6-18 months my new players are no longer "having serious problems blending into the squad" and my strikers are scoring bags of goals.

ST's that are retrained to AMC become AM/FC's or at least they did in FM08.

I assume they also gain points in Free Role when this happens.

I was having trouble scoring too when someone suggested squad gelling was a major factor.

He was right.

You'll just have to put up with your players missing easy chances for the time being. Especially if your strikers are new.

After 6-18 months my new players are no longer "having serious problems blending into the squad" and my strikers are scoring bags of goals.

The problem is with Nistelrooy and Raul as well... They should be blended enough imo :)

Just a quick Question. I am playing a 4-2-3-1 with Liverpool, Torres as a 'complete forward/poacher', Gerrard as an 'advanced playmaker', Mascherano as a 'deep lying playmaker' and Veloso as a 'box-2-box' midfielder. I am having problems with the mentality of the players. Any suggesitons??? Role theory doesnt seem to work as i need to give Gerrard and Torres high mentality but Gerrard is playing a supporting role not attacking and Torres is too attacking to fit into the attacking role as suggested in the guide thingy

Just a quick Question. I am playing a 4-2-3-1 with Liverpool, Torres as a 'complete forward/poacher', Gerrard as an 'advanced playmaker', Mascherano as a 'deep lying playmaker' and Veloso as a 'box-2-box' midfielder. I am having problems with the mentality of the players. Any suggesitons??? Role theory doesnt seem to work as i need to give Gerrard and Torres high mentality but Gerrard is playing a supporting role not attacking and Torres is too attacking to fit into the attacking role as suggested in the guide thingy

I would play Veloso as a Deep Playmaker and Masch as MCd with hard tackling.

Gerrard with mixed FwR

I play Liverpool in a 4-4-2 role theory how should I set up Torres and Michael Owen in my 4-4-2? And which one should be the FCd/FCa? Thx..

I use Keane as sub witch positions/instuktions shut he benefit from, he haven scored for months.

Can anyone help me. I have downloaded all the tactics provided in TTandF for my Liverpool team, yet none of them work. It is seriously ****ing me off. I am losing games to Wigan and Fulham. Can anyone suggest what tacgtic I should use? I like to play controlling football that gets lots of chances and is solid defensively. Anyone able to help me?

I play Liverpool in a 4-4-2 role theory how should I set up Torres and Michael Owen in my 4-4-2? And which one should be the FCd/FCa? Thx..

I use Keane as sub witch positions/instuktions shut he benefit from, he haven scored for months.

I would have Torres as the FCa and Owen as the FCd because Torres is really quick, while Owen is more creative and slower.

Keane is tricky. I usually play him in a free role as the FCd, but Im not sure if thats the best option.

I would have Torres as the FCa and Owen as the FCd because Torres is really quick, while Owen is more creative and slower..

Also my first though. Any suggestions to settings rwb, cf etc.

And should I assign one of them as targetman.

Keane is tricky. I usually play him in a free role as the FCd, but Im not sure if thats the best option

I now, usually I play him as you do, but I cant get him to perform

Great work here guys Im trying to learn how to make tactics and trying to understand existing ones and this is a huge help to

explain so many aspects.

One question I have - Im trying to create a tactic for Arsenal like the invincible season. The wingers though didnt really cross alot and

seemed to cut inside at almost every opportunity. How can this be set out instruction wise? Cross rarely, free role, mixed through balls?

I had tried it before but they still seemed to cross most of the time

Also for the mentalities if I understood it correctly and I try to adapt it to this would it be the following

RB - Attack

CB - Defensive

CB - Defensive

LB - Attack

RM - Attack

DM - Defensive

CM - Support

LM - Attack

SS - Support

CF - Attack

great work again

I simply wanted to say that this document makes the game understandable for me. I can see in the match engine what my players are doing, and why they are doing what they do.

For me, that's what makes this version of the game worth playing. In prior versions, I tried out wonder tactics and saw them work, but never understood why they worked. I'm pleased to see I can plot out Morinho tactics, tweak them for the skills of my players, and see them carried out--or foiled by better teams like Premiership match ups in the Cups.

I don't mind at all that I can't win every game by 5-0. Simply seeing players trying their best to follow instructions--I can live with those results.

Playing as Leeds and winning promotion, then having to struggle until I can develop or buy better players is real to me. Having ordinary sorts who score because they occupy the 'magic pixel' was never worth it to me.

Thanks again for all your work.

I'd like to reiterate for anybody who missed it, but no tactic will give you instant success, especially if you've signed several new players.

My advice - build a tactic set, then play for at least half a season before deciding your poor performances are down to your tactics. Because team gelling is a HUGE factor in this edition of the game.

Once I took the advice of (I think it was mitja) and allowed my team to gel, I found most tactics worked pretty well.

RB - Attack

CB - Defensive

CB - Defensive

LB - Attack

RM - Attack

DM - Defensive

CM - Support

LM - Attack

SS - Support

CF - Attack

Why can't you people use the abbreviations that come with the game?

When I see RB, CB and LB I think of Running Back, Cornerback and Linebacker. CM means Championship Manager, SS is Shortstop, a position on the baseball field and CF means Creative Freedom.

What's wrong with using the in-game abbreviations?

GK

DR

DC

DL

MR

ML

MC (you can expand this by using the agreed upon MCa and MCd)

ST or FC

Because when you make up your own you just make it harder for people to understand what you're trying to say. I mean, what next? We call a DC a CH because some people still refer to them as centre-halves? It's ********.

except he wasn't making up his own, RB/LB/RM/LM/SS are very widely used acronyms in the footballing world, at least in britain / europe when it comes to publications. i do understand your point though assuming you are american noticing your AF/baseball intrepretations there but really, i'd guesstimate 95% of the people who play this game or watch football would use RB etc over DR when speaking if not typing as well (since the position is a right back, not defender right - full back after all) if anything it's a mistake in FM. DC in the real world would be CB of course.

SS is a bit contentious, support striker / second striker / tre quartisa but generally i'd think most people would understand that too.

edit: now that you've brought it up, i can't believe i never realised how ******** FM (and previously CM)'s abbreviation system is! FC? what the **** is a FC? centre forward! not forward centre. DC?DR?DL? WBR? WBL? MC?ML?MR? etc... none of these things are correct! of course, i've never actually tried saying those abbreviations or their supposed full forms before which'd explain that completely passing me by for a decade.

except he wasn't making up his own, RB/LB/RM/LM/SS are very widely used acronyms in the footballing world, at least in britain / europe when it comes to publications. i do understand your point though assuming you are american noticing your AF/baseball intrepretations there but really, i'd guesstimate 95% of the people who play this game or watch football would use RB etc over DR when speaking if not typing as well (since the position is a right back, not defender right - full back after all) if anything it's a mistake in FM. DC in the real world would be CB of course.

SS is a bit contentious, support striker / second striker / tre quartisa but generally i'd think most people would understand that too.

edit: now that you've brought it up, i can't believe i never realised how ******** FM (and previously CM)'s abbreviation system is! FC? what the **** is a FC? centre forward! not forward centre. DC?DR?DL? WBR? WBL? MC?ML?MR? etc... none of these things are correct! of course, i've never actually tried saying those abbreviations or their supposed full forms before which'd explain that completely passing me by for a decade.

Listing the echelon first (Defence-Wingback/Defensive Midfield-Midfield-Attacking Midfield-Forward) then the side of the field (Left-Centre-Right) makes it easier to organise players: defenders-midfielders-forwards.

I'm aware that the positions aren't referred to IRL by their FM abbreviations - I played football and used the same terms you do (left back, right back, centreback, etc) but this game is a lot more precise than real life descriptions (it has to be) and DM is a very different position to a defensively minded MC (though in real life they're often called the same thing). In the same way, MR and ML are different positions to AMR and AML even though in real life they are both usually referred to as wingers.

The sloppiness of real-life football naming conventions was illustrated in Thierry Henry's biography. The writer tried to explain one of the reasons Henry sucked when he went from Monaco to Juventus was due to him playing ML at Juventus after playing AML at Monaco. Of course he didn't have these terms so he described ML as a "wide midfielder who had to help out his fullback". Sometimes you hear the term "left/right side of midfield" which is better but not as good as ML/MR. And while you could use LM/RM, the fact that the player is a midfielder is more of a defining characteristic than what side of the field he plays on. Hence why SI (and myself as it happens) believe DR/DL/DC/MR/ML/MC/etc is better than the alternatives.

Why can't you people use the abbreviations that come with the game?

When I see RB, CB and LB I think of Running Back, Cornerback and Linebacker. CM means Championship Manager, SS is Shortstop, a position on the baseball field and CF means Creative Freedom.

What's wrong with using the in-game abbreviations?

GK

DR

DC

DL

MR

ML

MC (you can expand this by using the agreed upon MCa and MCd)

ST or FC

Because when you make up your own you just make it harder for people to understand what you're trying to say. I mean, what next? We call a DC a CH because some people still refer to them as centre-halves? It's ********.

No offense but Ive only asked for some help here not a lecture on naming conventions, why would you think of SS as short stop when were talking about a football game? I thought the term SS was used in FM previously, fair enough on the CF that does stand for creative freedom so i shouldve used something else

Just wanted to add my voice to all the appreciation this guide has so deservedly got. For the first time since 07 I'm actually constructing tactics which work because I understand them, not just because I saw someone give a set of proscribed instructions.

My team are now not just winning, but controlling games, dominating possession and playing beautiful looking football.

Hats off to you!

Has anyone managed to tweak the Queiroz tactic in the pack to get performances outta Berbatov?

I'm playing as United and have gotten great performances outta Roomey and Ronaldo both averaging over 7.5 for the first season and scoring 63 goals between them. But I just can't get Berbatov to do much. He manage 11 goals last season despite playing over 40 games.

I've play berbatov in the AMC role except I have him pushed up front alongside Rooney so it's more of a 442 now.

Would really appreciate any help from anyone!

I can make a suggestion but can't guarantee it'll work.

Stick with what you're doing. It might have taken Berbatov a whole season to settle.

Seems like a very long time for him to be settling in. I wrote off the first 6 months of the season as him just settling in but my assistant stopped saying around December that he was having problems adapting

WWFAN -

Im using a 'role theory' mentality structure like so -

This is the mentality setting for my standard tactic.

When creating a defensive tactic, would you lower the mentalities of all players by say 2 notches? I fully understand you would change a couple of player roles from support to defensive and have done and its like this -

So basically, ive changed the FB's roles to defensive and also changed their other individual settings to match them acting as defensive role players.

My question is though, should it be more like this? -

This would be the role theory, but with all roles (defend/ support/ attack) mentalities reduced a little.

Is this right? I cannot see a mention of in in TT&F.

Thank you.

Yes that is how i would work it and is how im playing with arsenal. I changed the roles to suite the defensive (5d,2s,3a), standard (3d,4s,3a), attack (3d,2s,5a) and control tactics. I then increase or decrease the players set role points by 3 notches. what is not explained and is percieved in the document is that the ratings in the notches stay the same but the number of defensive , support and attacking players change only. I believe this to be incorrect and therefore you need to change the mentalities as well. I have found that if you dont then on the attacking version you dont have enough support or simply are not attacking enough therefore invite pressure.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of the advice on here, it has helped me huge ammounts! I am getting to grips and putting some decent tactics together but am still struggling getting the correct balance with two rather fundamental issues;

Defending - I leak goals frequently, even with generally low closing down my players seem to get pulled around and out of position very easilly. What are the best combinations for Zonal / Man marking Tight marking etc? Also I am still not sure i am linking the defencive line correctly, i tend to have it in line with my MCd mentality?

Attacking - I am struggling to get my forwards to link up, i am finding that my 2 ST's play far apart and I struggle to get good performance ratings for my STd. I was initilly following the advice as per page 1 of this topic but recently have tried bringing there mentalities closer togetether but still not much joy. I'm not sure i'm using the CF and Free Roles setting correctly. Any Advice?

Cheers for your help.

And btw,I wouldn't classify Torres as a complete forward.Firstly because he is an St,not an FC

I play Ibrahimovic with Complete Forward settings(as second striker) and he's awesome

an arbitrary free role stat does NOT define whether a player can play with a free role or not; just think of the usual things you would look for in a player to give such an instruction to eg. decisions, off the ball, flair, creativity etc etc. a 'ST' can play free role perfectly well if he has a lot of said attributes already but not a free role one of above 15. don't be fooled by that! additionally, torres can play as a complete forward perfectly well because he can perform as a fast striker and a target striker; a supportive and an offensive role (think: the way he played for liverpool last year to the way he played for spain in the EC)

Hi guys ... i have a question .. will the new patch 9.2 affect the guide ?? i mean do we have to change anything in our tactics which based purely on the information given in the guide ?? Thanks in advance

Everything should work fine in 9.2.0. Some things may work slightly better or worse than previously, but nothing will be broken.

Sadly though I think wwfan is wrong, on a 21 game unbeaten run, then patched and lost 3 of the next 4 and played horribly

Accuracy of passing has been toned down a little, which might explain why, especially if you are trying to play pretty football with a less than great team. I finished off my season post-patch and found pretty much no difference in results, although the methods of scoring/conceding were different.

Just a little something I've been playing around with:

You may remember a few pages back I posted on the subject of my attacking players getting too far forwards and leaving my midfield without any real passing options. I had sort of resolved the problem by reducing forward runs, but it still wasn't really working out how I wanted. So I decided to try looking at it from the other direction: mentality.

The standard theory is that "attack" players have high mentality and high FWRs, while "support" players have average mentality and mixed/few FWRs. I decided to try swapping the mentalities around.

The "theory" is this: the support players - (A)MC playmaker and link up forwards - stay forward and don't get caught up so much with defending, hence they're more likely to be in space when we regain the ball, and, with the higher mentality, they're always looking for attacking passes. The attacking players - wingers and striker/attacking AMC - drop off a bit deeper, help out more in a defensive role, and, while they look to get forward whenever possible, they don't rush right up to the opponents d-line and get marked out of the game.

I've not had that much time to test it - 15 or so games - but it's looking promising. There does seem to be more passing options for my midfielders, and there doesn't appear to be much less in the way of the attacking players getting chances.

I'm using the role theory so the mentality swaps are easy to work out.

Not saying this is a tactical breakthrough or anything, but I'll like to see what the great TT&F minds think of it.

Just a little something I've been playing around with:

You may remember a few pages back I posted on the subject of my attacking players getting too far forwards and leaving my midfield without any real passing options. I had sort of resolved the problem by reducing forward runs, but it still wasn't really working out how I wanted. So I decided to try looking at it from the other direction: mentality.

The standard theory is that "attack" players have high mentality and high FWRs, while "support" players have average mentality and mixed/few FWRs. I decided to try swapping the mentalities around.

The "theory" is this: the support players - (A)MC playmaker and link up forwards - stay forward and don't get caught up so much with defending, hence they're more likely to be in space when we regain the ball, and, with the higher mentality, they're always looking for attacking passes. The attacking players - wingers and striker/attacking AMC - drop off a bit deeper, help out more in a defensive role, and, while they look to get forward whenever possible, they don't rush right up to the opponents d-line and get marked out of the game.

I've not had that much time to test it - 15 or so games - but it's looking promising. There does seem to be more passing options for my midfielders, and there doesn't appear to be much less in the way of the attacking players getting chances.

I'm using the role theory so the mentality swaps are easy to work out.

Not saying this is a tactical breakthrough or anything, but I'll like to see what the great TT&F minds think of it.

I came to the same conclusion, as you may have seen, but down to the fact that I wanted my CMd to try attacking balls (therefore high mentality) but forward runs on rarely, but I wanted my CMa to get himself about (has high stamina and fitness) close down, provide an extra man up top and finish some moves off (low mentality, high forward runs) works fantastic ATM.

I then did this for the strikers too, see my thread at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=83545 for more info

I came to the same conclusion, as you may have seen, but down to the fact that I wanted my CMd to try attacking balls (therefore high mentality) but forward runs on rarely, but I wanted my CMa to get himself about (has high stamina and fitness) close down, provide an extra man up top and finish some moves off (low mentality, high forward runs) works fantastic ATM.

I then did this for the strikers too, see my thread at http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=83545 for more info

Yeah, I'm still using a classic MC(d) to win the ball and give it to my playmaker (who has a high mentality but no FWR). I thought about giving him more freedom to get forward, and I probably will on my more attacking tactic, but I've not got a great team atm - I'm quite often the underdog - so keeping the dedicated defensive player in the middle is something I'd prefer.

Yeah, I'm still using a classic MC(d) to win the ball and give it to my playmaker (who has a high mentality but no FWR). I thought about giving him more freedom to get forward, and I probably will on my more attacking tactic, but I've not got a great team atm - I'm quite often the underdog - so keeping the dedicated defensive player in the middle is something I'd prefer.

sounds like a good idea :thup:

I am a big team so am often the favourite (oh but that's easy... anyone can win with Utd! :D) so my playmaker sometimes has mixed fr, if i'm really pushing them back

I couldn't tell you what the great TT&F minds think but I will share my experience.

I'm managing Torhout in the Belgian First Division, so we don't have any Premiership-class players but our squad is average for the division (just finished 7th after being tipped to finish 16th).

I play a 4-3-3 (with DM, 2 x MC, AMR, AML and ST) which I built by the book from TT&F.

I found that with one MC playing like an FCa I got nothing out of him - he was constantly dominated by the DC he would run into. I also noticed that in my Control tactic that both MC's played well (they were both support players in the Control tactic as opposed to one being attack and one support in my other tactics).

So on wwfan's advice I lowered the mentality of the attacking MC to match the support MC and he played better but still not how I wanted. So I tried making him identical to the support MC and I haven't looked back.

So I have a 4-3-3 with only 2 attacking players (the wingers) in my Standard, Defence, Shut Up Shop and Control tactics and 4 (wingers and fullbacks) in my Attack tactic.

I'm kicking arse.

Archived