My Coaches NEVER impact my team (especially the goalkeeping coach)

In FMM 18 this wasn't an issue, but in FMM 19 it is. My second season at Real Madrid, Alisson was my goal keeper, with Donarrumma as the backup. During the course of season (like matchday 6, 7 of the La Liga season), but of them became sloppy in goal. Like conceding to Alaves and Levante, it was frustrating. So i headed to my staff screen and checked out my Goalkeeping coach, his aptitude was Natural and he had a Gold Coaching bad, so I was like, "Cool!" But he hadn't impacted my keepers in anyway, I decided to leave him for a while. The Goalkeeping issue didn't improve but my attack was to praise as they were scoring a lot of goals, so matches were ending 4-3, 5-4 and my defense wasn't to blame. Anyways at the end of the season, the coach still hadn't Impacted at all so I terminated his contract. I sold Alisson in a swap deal for Manuel Neuer and I got another goalkeeping coach with the same qualifications as the one I sacked. Fast forward to the end of my 3red season and same thing, he hadn't impacted Donarumma in anyway.

Why is this happening?

-Ebun

• Sebastian Szlenkier changed the title to My Coaches NEVER impact my team (especially the goalkeeping coach)
  • SI Staff

Can you also check your keepers coaching profile and how he looks on his training page? - if the player has already 'peaked' then its likely your coach is helping him maintain his current level but might not be able to improve upon his ability because he's already learnt at much as he can.

Do you have any other coaches at the club? - especially younger ones? ... if you do and they appear to have potential to grow but aren't then it might be an issue or (as Seb indicated) a need to make sure you have the latest update.

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, NickThomas said:

If matches are ending 4-3 & 5-4 I’d be looking at the tactic to be honest. You can’t simply blame the goalkeeper’s in this situation, you need to be looking at why are the opposition being allowed to score 3/4 easy goals.

Normally when this happens I find its one of several possible causes ...

(1) I'm in the lower leagues on the way up and I managed to secure some stellar attackers in the lower divisions and they've propelled me past where my team can really cope. My defense simply isn't up to scratch, but the forwards are still firing on all cylinders.

(2) I've a very young team and they lack leadership, so when we conceed a goal things tend to fall apart somewhat.

(3) I've a team which lacks stamina and it hurts when we get to the end of the game.

(4) I've a team which lacks skill but is physically very strong and so we come back into things towards the end of the game when the other team tires.

2 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

Normally when this happens I find its one of several possible causes ...

(1) I'm in the lower leagues on the way up and I managed to secure some stellar attackers in the lower divisions and they've propelled me past where my team can really cope. My defense simply isn't up to scratch, but the forwards are still firing on all cylinders.

(2) I've a very young team and they lack leadership, so when we conceed a goal things tend to fall apart somewhat.

(3) I've a team which lacks stamina and it hurts when we get to the end of the game.

(4) I've a team which lacks skill but is physically very strong and so we come back into things towards the end of the game when the other team tires.

Yeah exactly. Or he could be rocking with a 1-2-7 formation, who knows :lol: I wouldn’t blame the coaches failing to have an effect on the players if I conceded 4 goals though.

Personally I don’t think the coaches make that much of a difference anyway. So long as you give players enough Matchday experience they’ll improve regardless of coaches from my experience.

• 1 month later...
On 02/03/2019 at 23:48, NickThomas said:

Yeah exactly. Or he could be rocking with a 1-2-7 formation, who knows :lol: I wouldn’t blame the coaches failing to have an effect on the players if I conceded 4 goals though.

Personally I don’t think the coaches make that much of a difference anyway. So long as you give players enough Matchday experience they’ll improve regardless of coaches from my experience.

1-2-7 is real funny😂😂😂. I use a standard 4-2-3-1 formation

• SI Staff
On 02/03/2019 at 17:48, NickThomas said:

Match experience is obviously a huge boost to players if they're performing well - however coaches do have a significant effect (esp. the better ones) and will also help shape various things with your squad outside of the immediate improvement of players:

(1) Having strong coaching in an area will help bias which players come through your youth setup. Have lots of attacking coaches? ... you'll find more attacking players coming through your youth system.
(2) Motivational coaches will help with the mental side of the game, that is developing players in positive ways - find your team struggle in big matches, motivational coaches can help with the hidden personality ratings on players making them cope with pressure better, be more professional etc.
(3) Having good youth coaches will help young players by supporting them when they do badly meaning they'll be slightly less 'gusty' in terms of morale and performances than they might be otherwise.
(4) Fitness coaches help your players develop physically and also will help older players retain their fitness and decline more slowly.
(5) VERY good players might not be able to progress fully without adequate coaching around them (similarly poof facilities might prevent a player from reaching the very top of their game). 

Most of these will have 'pointers' to their effects in news items and through individual players training profiles if you keep an eye out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2019 at 00:33, Marc Vaughan said:

Match experience is obviously a huge boost to players if they're performing well - however coaches do have a significant effect (esp. the better ones) and will also help shape various things with your squad outside of the immediate improvement of players:

(1) Having strong coaching in an area will help bias which players come through your youth setup. Have lots of attacking coaches? ... you'll find more attacking players coming through your youth system.
(2) Motivational coaches will help with the mental side of the game, that is developing players in positive ways - find your team struggle in big matches, motivational coaches can help with the hidden personality ratings on players making them cope with pressure better, be more professional etc.
(3) Having good youth coaches will help young players by supporting them when they do badly meaning they'll be slightly less 'gusty' in terms of morale and performances than they might be otherwise.
(4) Fitness coaches help your players develop physically and also will help older players retain their fitness and decline more slowly.
(5) VERY good players might not be able to progress fully without adequate coaching around them (similarly poof facilities might prevent a player from reaching the very top of their game). 

Most of these will have 'pointers' to their effects in news items and through individual players training profiles if you keep an eye out.

Thank you so much for this, Marc! The game doesn't really explain the effect of each coaching style, so this really helped me. I do have some questions though, just so I can unlock my team's full potential.

Regarding motivational coaches and how they can develop player's professionalism, mentality in big matches or coping with pressure..are these developments permanent? For instance, once a player has developed well from training with a motivational coach and I sack the motivational coach afterwards, would all the effects still remain?

Do youth coaches also speed up the level younger players gain CA? Or are they only to support them when they play badly?

And lastly, is there any difference between a coach with a Gold badge and Poor aptitude vs a coach with a Gold badge and Natural aptitude?

• SI Staff

Regarding

motivational coaches and how they can develop player's professionalism, mentality in big matches or coping with pressure..are these developments permanent? For instance, once a player has developed well from training with a motivational coach and I sack the motivational coach afterwards, would all the effects still remain?

The effect is permanent HOWEVER do bear in mind that a player can deteriorate with regards to professionalism and such and motivational coaches can mitigate against this ... deterioration normally happens when players at your club get away with things (ie. skive training with repercussion, get sent off for violent conduct without repercussion etc.).

The likelihood of a deterioration depends on the player involved and the players witnessing it, for instance let your key pro's get away with things and the youth players are more likely to think that is acceptable practice.

More professional players might not turn bad, but will likely look down on the players in question which in itself can cause problems.

Do youth coaches also speed up the level younger players gain CA? Or are they only to support them when they play badly?

Yes Youth Coaches will help youngsters develop a little faster.

And lastly, is there any difference between a coach with a Gold badge and Poor aptitude vs a coach with a Gold badge and Natural aptitude?

No - the aptitude is just regarding the likelihood of them progressing as a coach, once they gain a badge they have it and it works the same regardless of aptitude.

3 hours ago, Marc Vaughan said:

The effect is permanent HOWEVER do bear in mind that a player can deteriorate with regards to professionalism and such and motivational coaches can mitigate against this ... deterioration normally happens when players at your club get away with things (ie. skive training with repercussion, get sent off for violent conduct without repercussion etc.).

The likelihood of a deterioration depends on the player involved and the players witnessing it, for instance let your key pro's get away with things and the youth players are more likely to think that is acceptable practice.

More professional players might not turn bad, but will likely look down on the players in question which in itself can cause problems.

Yes Youth Coaches will help youngsters develop a little faster.

No - the aptitude is just regarding the likelihood of them progressing as a coach, once they gain a badge they have it and it works the same regardless of aptitude.

Wow, this has been a real eye-opener. Having their mentality potentially deteriorate without a motivational coach around sounds fair, whereas having a permanent effect certainly makes hiring motivational coaches more worthwhile.  I admit I've never used any motivational coaches since my players are generally on high morale, either from winning or from player interactions. Well this explains why they tend to slip up in cup matches though.. time to find a motivational coach quick :D

Youth coaches developing youth faster was what I originally expected, but having them help with youth performances and morale is a big plus I had no idea about, which is fantastic.

And with all gold coaches being the same, I can finally stop sacking the ones with poor aptitude and hiring new staff, so this will save me so much time and frustration!

Thanks again, Marc!

Archived