Preferred Squad Numbers

It annoys me when AI managers decide to just give a player their preferred squad number regardless of the situation. For example, Messi has just retired and their bench striker who plays like 8 games a season prefers the number 10 so its given to him. It really isn't realistic and I was wondering if anyone else feels the same and wants it moderated or am I just being over the top?

8 hours ago, DP said:

I hate it when I leave a club and all their shirt numbers are auto changed when a new manager takes over. 

This. I arrange the squad numbers all neatly, then look a year later and find they've given the 3rd choice goalie the 1 shirt and the right winger's now wearing 12 instead of the 7 I gave him.

1 hour ago, TheDecentOne said:

Just as a sub-question to this;

Does assigning players their preferred squad number make any difference? Personally I've never had any feedback from a player on it but you never know!

It can't do any harm, but the opposite to that is that I don't know of any downside to not giving them their preferred number

20 hours ago, DP said:

I hate it when I leave a club and all their shirt numbers are auto changed when a new manager takes over. 

I know what you mean, a bit like when a new manager takes over, changes the tactics and wins stuff.

PITA!

Seriously though - why does it annoy you so much when you have left? They aren't your players anymore.

On 27/02/2019 at 11:43, FrazT said:

It can't do any harm, but the opposite to that is that I don't know of any downside to not giving them their preferred number

I saw somebody have an issue on Twitch because they'd promised the player their number and then didn't let them have it, so it can happen.

For squad numbers to be distributed in a realistical way in-game you would have to enter certain factors into the database of positions, tactical roles, clubs, national teams (nations) and managers as well as individual players preferred squad numbers.

Squad nr 5 is, for instance, associated with left fullbacks in Sweden (especially in the NT). In England and continental Europe, it perhaps is more of a central-defender number and in Argentina it is a defensive midfielder. So if a swedish left fullback (who has worn nr 5 since ever and prefers that) moves to an english club where the manager is argentinian, which squad number will Football Manager assign to the player? (Assuming that nr 5 is available and squad-status is ignored). You see how this is getting complicated? A working squad number selection-algorithm should as well, according to me, take into account squad-status, the fact that many individuals don't care at all and that some players stick with their first senior squad number for years even though they advance in the footballing world.

There is a huge difference in demand for this type of in-game-mechanism. We are many FM-players who are more or less obsessed with squad numbers but I guess there are more FM-players that doesn't care at all about squad numbers.

On 27/02/2019 at 19:57, Snorks said:

I know what you mean, a bit like when a new manager takes over, changes the tactics and wins stuff.

PITA!

Seriously though - why does it annoy you so much when you have left? They aren't your players anymore.

Because it’s completely unrealistic? I, like many others, attribute importance to squad numbers and it irritates me when they are all randomly changed when I leave. 

Granted, my quoted post was a bit flippant, but I sill can't see where the annoyance comes from though.

I guess it doesn't happen like that in real life because of the paperwork involved, and perhaps because the incoming manager isn't that bothered either. 

We all play the game differently and for different reasons, this point makes no difference to my enjoyment of the game.

Archived