PSG- Chasing the European Dream

lblanc

After that bottle job last night I've decided my next save shall be PSG

Only question will be whether I'll go with the Winter update or from original DB.(Only real addition was Paredes plus the talented Yacine Adli leaving so at the moment I'm leaning towards the original DB).

The goal shall obviously be to get the one PSG want in winning the Champions League.

Overhauling Saint Etienne's record title wins (10) also shall be a target.

So I've decided to go with the Winter Update so below is run down of First Team Squad

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

The two main keepers in the squad are both World Cup winners

Gianluigi Buffon

image.png.930fe8b9d43f167b538bfde8de785176.png

After 17 years with Juventus Gigi moved to the French capital in the summer on a free transfer. At 40 he might not have much time left but he is still the best keeper at the club.

Alphonse Areola

image.png.742dc304ab432cbb03a2d37fa8801b4c.png

The 3rd choice for France in the summer, Alphonse is home grown and at 26 is capable backup to Gigi hopefully he will learn from him and develop.

Verdict and plans

Paris do have some young keepers on the books but no one really capable of challenging the above two, so this is probably one area I will look to recruit more someone to replace Buffon and challenge Areola for that number 1 jersey. My earlier thoughts are the reliable Predrag Rajković (not sure what he is like in the winter update perhaps someone has used him let me know) or Dominik Livaković from Dinamo Zagreb two young keepers who won’t cost too much and would be happy to go out on loan for a season. We do have Kevin Trapp out on loan but he will most likely be sold.

Defence

An area which I feel Paris have some very good options but perhaps need some backup first up the centre backs

Thiago Silva

image.png.bfea34894b37e6cf4e874cd27a3e4df0.png

Club captain at 33 going on 34, Silva obviously won’t be around for too much longer but for the moment he represents the best option and a great mentor for the younger players.

Marquinhos

image.png.0b8ec976d740ce5381f0fb1136b3c3c8.png

The other Brazilian centre back in the defence, a key player for the team as he is capable of playing in a defensive midfield role if needed too. At only 24 he has years ahead of him.

Presnel Kimpembe

image.png.6dd507485cd4598b0eb9851dd4cf2362.png

Another home grown 2018 World Cup winner at 22/23 he still has some development to do but very capable as a starter or backup to the two Brazilians.

Thilo Kehrer

image.png.5a46547c31ea5151fe86dbb4fc7ba838.png

At €37M Thilo is probably one the shows Paris aren’t afraid to pay if they really want someone at 21 going 22 the German is one for the future but like the above is well capable to start or be backup.

Stanley Nsoki

image.png.5ce8d3155492d9b36eb11fa65fee6293.png

Another home grown product from the youth team at 19 is definitely one for the future, may be retained for Home Grown CL rules but if I can send him out on loan to develop I will.

Verdict and plans

With Silva not getting any younger this may be another area I’ll look to add to, perhaps I may go out and try get Matthias de Ligt from Ajax but I may look to go French and go for Malang Sarr or perhaps Boubacar Kamara.

Onto the Wing backs first up the right hand side.

Thomas Meunier

image.png.d53dadca7bdf0e83886d31a65b1963ef.png

The Belgian wing back is extremely capable in attack, perhaps some doubts over his defensive work but with Dani Alves out injured he is first choice for the moment. He is attracting interest so may be used to increase the already €60m heavy transfer budget and a younger player brought in to replace him.

Dani Alves

image.png.f8fbc4729577162ba1e0474d4c5539ae.png

Another of the Brazilian contingent at the club at 35 and injured at the start of the season his best days may be behind him. Vital for the team dynamics though as his experience will help the younger players in the squad.

Colin Dagba

image.png.d8c33c11d5877a084411ba9cfdb9e293.png

The young right in the squad whether he’ll be good enough remains to seen, Home Grown so shall stay for that reason 

Onto the left hand side

Juan Bernat

image.png.a2cd213631d3ac31197a82b7947fbd73.png

The Spaniard was brought in from Bayern on a somewhat cheap fee of only €5m (his injury record may have been one of the main issues) the best left back at the club.

Layvin Kurzawa

image.png.88425392f0fc9c404a7cec022da29d8b.png

Another full back who starts out with a long term injury but a player I’ve always liked in FM hopefully injury doesn’t hamper him.

Verdict and plans

This was an area Tuchel wanted to strengthen seeing the current injuries and lack of quality depth it’s clear to see why. For the right back slot I’m thinking Kevin Mbabu who I’ve heard develops quite nicely as for left back I’m not too sure perhaps I’ll go French again a look at Lucas Hernandez or Ferland Mendy. Mitchel Bakker will join in the summer but depending on Bernat’s fitness I may need someone for now given that Bakker would be one for the future.

Midfield

Depending on the formation I play this area is well stocked with talent, it probably lacks a true number 6 which again I believe Tuchel wanted but there are players capable of playing that role to a accomplished level.

Marco Verratti

image.png.8a4f177dec590a97f6a8178cffbfa8d8.png

the Italian playmaker has been at the club since 2012 and has developed into a real class act, capable of deep lying role and using his great vision and passing to feed the front men, only issues would possibly be his injury record and his temperament in the tackle.

Leandro Paredes

image.png.be23610c8ae301d07bb1db391942a4c0.png

The winter acquisition, the Argentinian is another versatile playmaker at 23 is could grow to be real star.

Christopher Nkunku -

image.png.718799a8880c136eceae0145f0a6c9e9.png

Home grown talent at 20 Christopher is most likely no more then backup but shall learn from the experienced Verratti and hopefully grow until a real star.

Adrien Rabiot

image.png.ceebe612befda2d8323ca67506b7cc20.png

Another young home-grown talent Adrien is IRL known for his ego but also that he is potential World Class player in the making.

Ángel Di María 

image.png.abd271beb694a9f2fecba0c61317004f.png

Another South American talent in the squad, Di Maria can play many roles within the team comfortable on the left, right and middle of the park. He’ll one of the players I’ll look to, to make things happen further up the pitch.

Julian Draxler

image.png.6cd12be41f5a45300d98cbcde1cff0a0.png

A world cup winner in 2014 with Germany, Julian is capable on either flank and can play through the middle if needed.

Verdict and plans

An area with a lot of World Class and potential World Class players, no real investment is needed but I think an experienced head in centre mid might be a good option to help mentor the younger players.

Attackers

The area where the big bucks have been spent by PSG though outside the main 3 it does look a bit bare.

Neymar

image.png.ca6429fc439582b98805b7ed0cb5a2c0.png

Where better to start then with the World’s most expensive player. The Brazilian forward could walk into any team in the world adept on the left or through the centre Neymar is a key key player.

Kylian Mbappé

image.png.e2a001118a5143c641ea6dc241bc3453.png

Alongside Neymar we have the boy wonder, another World Cup in the summer at 19 this lad has the world at his feet. Equally dangerous as the central striker or on the wing where he can use his blistering pace.

Edinson Cavani 

image.png.13abf62c15d56d7934a52041546ed29e.png

The clubs top goal scorer with 116 league goals he has 170 in all competitions since joining from Napoli in 2013. Lethal is an understatement though at 31 he may not have many years left in him.

Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting

image.png.be37d136fa9fd465c8ed95eb1f7006b0.png

Probably the oddest transfer of the summer, I had to look twice in IRL when I initially seen Choupo Moting had joined PSG, He’ll be nothing but backup and shall be used to raise funds come January.

Moussa Diaby

image.png.8cce899bcbaeed900820a099ba075c24.png

Another young home-grown player at 18 he is one for the future shall hopefully learn form the more experienced forwards in the team.

Verdict and plans

One of the best strike forces in the game given that Di Maria and Draxler can cover both attacking wings perhaps only someone to act as backup to Cavani is needed. I’m thinking someone young who can learn, Giovanni Simeone is my current thought.

Interesting idea for a save - should be a good challenge; I had no idea PSG had spent so much with so little to show for it.

Tactically, can you play a back-three with so little cover? And have you thought about combining those two tactics, say with an HB dropping between a back two, allowing you to push the WBs forward as per the 523? (Sort of a 23221)

1 hour ago, warlock said:

Interesting idea for a save - should be a good challenge; I had no idea PSG had spent so much with so little to show for it.

Tactically, can you play a back-three with so little cover? And have you thought about combining those two tactics, say with an HB dropping between a back two, allowing you to push the WBs forward as per the 523? (Sort of a 23221)

Yeah it could be a plan. I was thinking of a Bielsa style 3-3-3-1 type formation too. It shall be a bit of an experiment. 

You might be bored really soon, the money you got will be completely insane, managing Marseille my self in France i'm always amazed by the players they are stacking summer after summer

Even managed with IA they are really often above 100 pts in the League and winning Champions League

But definitely, this strike force should be really enjoyable to manage, only a few tweaks in the midfield and at the back and you can be unbeatable

Yeah it would be a really fun one to do for sure! I am tempted to do it as my last save as a reward to myself for been average teams all the time so far! Maybe set a limit on not spending more than 25m on a player to keep it a bit of a challenge 

Have got through Pre-Season and just about to play the Trophée des Champions against Monaco

Update on my Transfer activity and players currently out on loan from PSG

Out on Loan

Kevin Trapp - Frankfurt

image.png.531466dc98ef1bc4fc7ae94c61b6a315.png

The German never really convinced during his 3 years with the club. He is a decent keeper and depending on how he does on loan and whether I  decide to extend Buffon's deal I may look to sell come the summer.

Grzegorz Krychowiak- Lokomotiv Moscow

image.png.0691997432f2407b2acab6311400063d.png

Another who never really convinced at PSG spent the year before at West Brom when they were relegated, this season he has gone to Russia, Lokomotiv have  a 10m  Optional clause and I'll be pushing him to them in January as he isn't part of my future plans

Jesé - Real Betis

image.png.8a94b08272b0b448646beaac421f8133.png

Jese was one of PSG's first real look we mean business transfers but has failed miserably, There is no purchase clause but he won't be at PSG next season.

Timothy Weah- Celtic

image.png.36ef8b43bcda5e305110f0a1af33992a.png

The son of the great George , Tim is one for the future a season at Celtic will do him the world of good, he may depending on his development there spend a further season away on loan as I can't see him breaking into my first team picture just yet.

Giovani Lo Celso -Real Betis

image.png.de0542bede42a952717bf3927d3cdec8.png

This lad has potential to replace his fellow Argentine Di Maria when he comes back, i'll be keeping a close eye on his development  

The other players on loan I don't think even deserve a mention as they're all surplus to requirements.

Transfers

As outlined in team guide there were a few areas I was looking to strengthen.

Goalkeeper

First up goalkeeper I wanted someone who could learn and one day challenge for the number 1 jersey

Predrag Rajković -from Maccabi Tel Aviv - 3.1m (6.5m)

image.png.42ad1e2a111a446e66e380e1b6e3bc5b.png

The Serb is well known to FM players, he has the potential to first choice for years to come.

Wing Backs

With  Kurzawa and Dani Alves out with long term injuries and the latter close to retirement age backup was needed for Bernat and Meunier

Ferland Mendy -from Lyon -15.5m (18.75m)

image.png.ba06758c41e62535267994f44ece28f0.png

The Lyon man came in for nice enough fee considering his value was 14m, I was actually surprised when I signed him to see that he is actually home grown at the club so an added bonus when it comes to CL squad rules.

Alexis Saelemaekers - from Anderlecht - 2.5m (3m)

image.png.5576a544a0c3a7f27d5b34f7ee78200e.png

The 19 year old Belgian is very highly rated he shall learn from his countryman Meunier and hopefully develop into a similar player.

Centre Back

As stated with Thiago Silva getting to the twilight of his years, someone to come in and replace him was needed. With de Ligt looking for 250k a week I turned to my second choice

Malang Sarr - from Nice - 24.5m (29m) 

image.png.75f90edd9e4a30aaa224ce9dd488c69f.png

Nice originally wanted close to 60m for Sarr but after rejecting that. He began moaning and I managed to get him for half that, he'll spend the season back on loan at Nice with the development serving him well.

Midfield

As I said an area I didn't really need to strengthen bar for an experienced head. And after searching the players available for free they don't come more experienced then this man.

Yaya Touré - free

image.png.48f2c868409b9f50e82e176fa73d2138.png

The former Man City man will officially sign for the club on January 1st but will train with the club, at 35 he may be past his best but he has that experience I was looking for and a Spirited personality is good to have in the dressing room.

Forwards

Up front I wanted someone to challenge Cavani and some back up too. Well I got a little more then that.

Cristian Pavón - From Boca Juniors - 4.5m (6.5m)

image.png.58ebcedfbd638b7c801d98643fd538a7.png

Tbh I didn't have plans to sign him but a scout suggested him and I seen Real Madrid were sniffing so I decided to see how much Boca wanted expecting it to be at least double figures when they came back with 9m, I negotiated it down to half that, shall be great cover for both wings.

Jean-Kévin Augustin - from RB Leipzig -8.5m

image.png.21f866f22cfb01a0b17a36a0130d3fad.png

Bringing back home a real talent here having bought Mendy I decided to check who else was home grown and seen him, decided to ask Leipzig how much they wanted when I seen it was only 8.5m I thought i'd be stupid not to, as I know for other saves he has the potential to be World Class, 

Giovanni Simeone-from Fiorentina -25m (29.5m)

image.png.012398d216250c6992799f417ce745b4.png

The son of Diego was one I targeted and I fought off interest from Napoli and Spurs for his signature he has the potential to replace Cavani when the Uruguayan starts to decline.

Backroom staff

PSG do have a decent backroom team but I always look when I move to a club to move on the coaches loyal to previous managers, but not 100% in this case as only 

Arno Michels and Zoumana Camara were offered mutual termination.

I felt bad for letting Camara go after him having a long history with the club but his stats weren't great so in to replace him came

Marco van Basten- Assistant Manager

image.png.cbf90dd9dc6218617247beacf37c0616.png

The Dutch legend was the perfect choice for the club with his experience at his knowledge of the game, I hope to develop a great working relationship with him in the future.

Kevin Sheedy-coach

image.png.d9f2cf7648d064e9e0361f184434b026.png

Some may think this an odd one but Sheedy is an excellent well rounded coach and being Irish he is someone I always bring in as one of my trusted backroom men.

Iván Córdoba-coach

image.png.b5b705227c2efeb3f23cbd8b89c8a6ce.png

The Colombian is an amazing defensive organiser just like he was in his playing days. Also adds some experience too.

David Bettoni-coach

image.png.32d6587b3ae8878b27c8baa34171b584.png

He was Zizou's right hand man for his 3 in a row so knows a thing or two about winning it, A brilliant tactical and motivator he'll be key, I just hope Zidane doesn't come calling when he gets a job.

Question I meant to ask Rabiot is out of contract at the end of the season, so far he is refusing to sign a new contract as he wants to leave. Now he doesn't have anything in his player status indicating it i.e. no [Frt] icon and no clubs [Wnt] him that surely means he might still sign right ?

He is a player I want to keep as he is 1) a good player 2) young 3) Home Grown

I've not touted him out yet and I don't intend to unless I get close to January and he is still playing hardball on an extension.

On 11/03/2019 at 13:21, lblanc said:

Question I meant to ask Rabiot is out of contract at the end of the season, so far he is refusing to sign a new contract as he wants to leave. Now he doesn't have anything in his player status indicating it i.e. no [Frt] icon and no clubs [Wnt] him that surely means he might still sign right ?

He is a player I want to keep as he is 1) a good player 2) young 3) Home Grown

I've not touted him out yet and I don't intend to unless I get close to January and he is still playing hardball on an extension.

I'm currently managing Lyon. I started with the winter update and Rabiot did pop up with the FRT icon before the close of the first transfer window and I was able to bring him in for around £25m. If he doesn't start out as an FRT then it isn't hardwired but it might be difficult to get him to re-sign.

Let us know if you manage it though, as I've been tempted to start at PSG and he's definitely a player I would want to keep around.

Oh... PSG finished 3rd in my first season, behind ourselves and Marseille in 2nd place. :P

3 hours ago, davehibb said:

I'm currently managing Lyon. I started with the winter update and Rabiot did pop up with the FRT icon before the close of the first transfer window and I was able to bring him in for around £25m. If he doesn't start out as an FRT then it isn't hardwired but it might be difficult to get him to re-sign.

Let us know if you manage it though, as I've been tempted to start at PSG and he's definitely a player I would want to keep around.

Oh... PSG finished 3rd in my first season, behind ourselves and Marseille in 2nd place. :P

I have only played one official match so far the above mentioned Trophée des Champions vs Monaco I won 4-0 with Adrien scoring 2 goals and getting a 9.3 rating , I've been praising him in the media and to himself in private and it seems to have improved his relationship with me from a dynamics point of view, I'll continue to do so when necessary (As I don't want him to 1) getting cocky and 2) Contradict me and put me back to square one.

As I said i'll try until around November/December if he still plays hardball then he can do one.

PERSONNE N'EST PLUS GRAND QUE PARIS!!!

So the first month of the season is done

As mention in last post I picked up the first piece of silverware with the Trophée des Champions a 4-0 win over Monaco

The first league game then followed against SM Caen another 4-0 win with Neymar scoring a hat trick and Mbappe adding another

My next two games were tight though against Guingamp and Angers.

Two late goals in each game seen me win 2-1 and 1-0 respectively.

That Angers game was ridiculous though I had 27 shots with only 6 on target thankfully the last one from Draxler in the 94th minute hit the back of the net.

Of course winning Ligue 1 isn't my target here it's the Champions League the draw for it has seen me pitted against Napoli, Young Boys and Ajax.

That isn't even the big news!!

An update on the Rabiot scenario just two days before the window shut I decided to tout him out after he still refused to sign a new contract, Inter came in with 25m offer I somehow managed to squeeze 45m out of them.

I needed/wanted someone to replace him a check on the Transfer list first and a massive surprise for the relative bargain fee of only 20m

Bienvenue à Paris

image.thumb.png.243628b2a39b43c0f6ec05c1fd8aa7d5.png

BRUNO FERNANDES

French---------------AfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZuluFrench

49 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

Assuming that France has the best youth setup in FM19, I assume it's entirely possible to make a French only PSG side CL contenders within a few seasons.

Possibly but they will cost a good bit of money,

For the above Fernandes transfer I had wanted to go for Houssem Aouar but Lyon were looking for 86m for him so after checking the transfer list Bruno was the one I went for.

Though I will say the lure of Paris for French players is quite big, for example with Sarr I was initially quoted 60-something m which I rejected and he complained I went back in and got him for around 25m (rising to 29m).

If you pursue them they'll be capable of getting in at a more reasonable fee.

1 hour ago, dothestrand said:

Assuming that France has the best youth setup in FM19, I assume it's entirely possible to make a French only PSG side CL contenders within a few seasons.

There's already so many good ones out there and you have a ton of money, the youth setup would be almost irrelevant. You could have a non-newgen all-French CL contender side with PSG.

Heck, on FM18 I was going to do a Paris-only PSG save and the only thing that stopped me was I couldn't be bothered making the birthplace filters for it.

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

There's already so many good ones out there and you have a ton of money, the youth setup would be almost irrelevant. You could have a non-newgen all-French CL contender side with PSG.

Heck, on FM18 I was going to do a Paris-only PSG save and the only thing that stopped me was I couldn't be bothered making the birthplace filters for it.

That's an interesting one

I do have a shortlist of French players who I'm keeping an eye on. The way the French League is set up TV wise I seem to be playing a lot of games on either a Friday or Sunday night leaving me free to attend games on the Saturday to scout both players and opposition

24 minutes ago, lblanc said:

That's an interesting one

I do have a shortlist of French players who I'm keeping an eye on. The way the French League is set up TV wise I seem to be playing a lot of games on either a Friday or Sunday night leaving me free to attend games on the Saturday to scout both players and opposition

Yeah I think the club are too morally bankrupt for me to ever enjoy it though - I was inspired by a guy doing a similar thing with Manchester United, only buying players from within about 30 miles. 

Do you do that to actually learn something from it, or just to help unsettle them? I've tried to do it a couple of times to unsettle players, and they usually end up not playing, for example trying to sign Kane to United on FM18, he missed 3 games all season - 2 of them were the ones my staff suggested I attend to unsettle him. 

23 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Yeah I think the club are too morally bankrupt for me to ever enjoy it though - I was inspired by a guy doing a similar thing with Manchester United, only buying players from within about 30 miles. 

Do you do that to actually learn something from it, or just to help unsettle them? I've tried to do it a couple of times to unsettle players, and they usually end up not playing, for example trying to sign Kane to United on FM18, he missed 3 games all season - 2 of them were the ones my staff suggested I attend to unsettle him. 

A bit of both if I'm honest. I'm big into my scouting and analysis in the game. In every save I do, I try to watch the teams I will play at least once or twice myself before I play them, I'd also fully utilise my the full strength of my scouting team (if I can) and Analyst team. I'm actually quite old school too when it comes to it too as in I'd watch the full games a notepad and take notes on what they do and then compare to what my Assistant, scouts and Analysts have said.

It's one of the reasons it takes me ages to do a season as I spend so long preparing (For example in my Dortmund save-I spent about 6 hours preparing for a Bayern game). If I could go full Bielsa and see their training I probably would.

6 hours ago, lblanc said:

A bit of both if I'm honest. I'm big into my scouting and analysis in the game. In every save I do, I try to watch the teams I will play at least once or twice myself before I play them, I'd also fully utilise my the full strength of my scouting team (if I can) and Analyst team. I'm actually quite old school too when it comes to it too as in I'd watch the full games a notepad and take notes on what they do and then compare to what my Assistant, scouts and Analysts have said.

It's one of the reasons it takes me ages to do a season as I spend so long preparing (For example in my Dortmund save-I spent about 6 hours preparing for a Bayern game). If I could go full Bielsa and see their training I probably would.

Ah right, pretty much the complete opposite of me then. I do spend ages scouting players but its literally just attributes and reports in large volumes. I probably spend about 8 hours between the end of May and start of September in a save though. Little to no adjustments match to match other than perhaps resting one of my better low stamina / natural fitness players before a big game or occasionally dropping the mentality of one player. 

September

Month of September down

image.thumb.png.fcedc2e186a834f9db42fb47f3759b54.png

Overall a strong month in the league unbeaten. Was a bit disappointed in the draw with Ajax and Rennes but clean sheets in all the other games was a nice bonus (especially for the squad)

image.thumb.png.93b00f62a71b676e506bbd9744f4550d.png

That draw gave Lyon an early lead in the title race but a 0-0 draw to Nantes in their last game brought us level, they remain top but only on alphabetical order.

Stats wise

Neymar leads the way with 7 goals in 9 games followed by new signing Bruno Fernandes who got two on his debut against St. Etienne and followed up with another 2 in the next few games.

It's a big October for me with two Champions League games at home, as well as a top of the table clash with Lyon and the Classico to finish it off.

image.thumb.png.effeb5486f92f4857bf4491e4690692b.png 

October

So as mentioned in the last update October was a big one with games against Napoli and Lyon and the Classico to contend with, well it could not have gone better...

image.thumb.png.78ac7e12fc308199adbc0e49040628a0.png

Two big wins in the Champions League seen me take control of the group, and 3-2 win over Lyon put me charge of the Ligue 1 race. though the big one for me was the hammering of Marseille 

image.thumb.png.e419a606babef5b020de92e97e5192b9.png

November will see a trip to Bern and to Monaco as well as Ajax coming to Paris

image.thumb.png.6ca1acf6e76e887d77b70adbfc688cdd.png

On November first I got the nice surprise of the board giving me 84m Euros for transfers for January though I don't think I'll be looking to bring anyone in unless someone leaves first.

November

Another unbeaten month, 

image.thumb.png.f56b18a33fc9d7fc6bd763afa42eb1e9.png

Some high scoring games in there too, November really was the Neymar, Mbappe and Pavon show, those three just work brilliantly with each other most notably it that Monaco game where Mbappe scored 3 while Pavon got 4 assists and at home to Ajax were both himself and Pavon got two while Neymar assisted 3 and scored 1 himself.

That Ajax win puts me through to the next round with a game to spare

image.thumb.png.0947bf4b7552e585b761c90ef79b30f4.png

Even with a one more game played I'm 8 clear of Lyon.

The draw for the Fourth round of the Coupe De La Ligue was made and I'll play Strasbourg though as you can see that isn't really important though I will look to of course win everything I can to continue my French domination. 

image.png.932f966c4e4657075a30ddb0f3b760b8.png

My December is as follows

image.thumb.png.52216a61a36990c6f233455f2669e204.png

On 09/03/2019 at 07:03, lblanc said:

So I've decided to go with the Winter Update so below is run down of First Team Squad

First Team Squad

Goalkeepers

The two main keepers in the squad are both World Cup winners

Gianluigi Buffon

image.png.930fe8b9d43f167b538bfde8de785176.png

After 17 years with Juventus Gigi moved to the French capital in the summer on a free transfer. At 40 he might not have much time left but he is still the best keeper at the club.

Alphonse Areola

image.png.742dc304ab432cbb03a2d37fa8801b4c.png

The 3rd choice for France in the summer, Alphonse is home grown and at 26 is capable backup to Gigi hopefully he will learn from him and develop.

Verdict and plans

Paris do have some young keepers on the books but no one really capable of challenging the above two, so this is probably one area I will look to recruit more someone to replace Buffon and challenge Areola for that number 1 jersey. My earlier thoughts are the reliable Predrag Rajković (not sure what he is like in the winter update perhaps someone has used him let me know) or Dominik Livaković from Dinamo Zagreb two young keepers who won’t cost too much and would be happy to go out on loan for a season. We do have Kevin Trapp out on loan but he will most likely be sold.

Defence

An area which I feel Paris have some very good options but perhaps need some backup first up the centre backs

Thiago Silva

image.png.bfea34894b37e6cf4e874cd27a3e4df0.png

Club captain at 33 going on 34, Silva obviously won’t be around for too much longer but for the moment he represents the best option and a great mentor for the younger players.

Marquinhos

image.png.0b8ec976d740ce5381f0fb1136b3c3c8.png

The other Brazilian centre back in the defence, a key player for the team as he is capable of playing in a defensive midfield role if needed too. At only 24 he has years ahead of him.

Presnel Kimpembe

image.png.6dd507485cd4598b0eb9851dd4cf2362.png

Another home grown 2018 World Cup winner at 22/23 he still has some development to do but very capable as a starter or backup to the two Brazilians.

Thilo Kehrer

image.png.5a46547c31ea5151fe86dbb4fc7ba838.png

At €37M Thilo is probably one the shows Paris aren’t afraid to pay if they really want someone at 21 going 22 the German is one for the future but like the above is well capable to start or be backup.

Stanley Nsoki

image.png.5ce8d3155492d9b36eb11fa65fee6293.png

Another home grown product from the youth team at 19 is definitely one for the future, may be retained for Home Grown CL rules but if I can send him out on loan to develop I will.

Verdict and plans

With Silva not getting any younger this may be another area I’ll look to add to, perhaps I may go out and try get Matthias de Ligt from Ajax but I may look to go French and go for Malang Sarr or perhaps Boubacar Kamara.

Onto the Wing backs first up the right hand side.

Thomas Meunier

image.png.d53dadca7bdf0e83886d31a65b1963ef.png

The Belgian wing back is extremely capable in attack, perhaps some doubts over his defensive work but with Dani Alves out injured he is first choice for the moment. He is attracting interest so may be used to increase the already €60m heavy transfer budget and a younger player brought in to replace him.

Dani Alves

image.png.f8fbc4729577162ba1e0474d4c5539ae.png

Another of the Brazilian contingent at the club at 35 and injured at the start of the season his best days may be behind him. Vital for the team dynamics though as his experience will help the younger players in the squad.

Colin Dagba

image.png.d8c33c11d5877a084411ba9cfdb9e293.png

The young right in the squad whether he’ll be good enough remains to seen, Home Grown so shall stay for that reason 

Onto the left hand side

Juan Bernat

image.png.a2cd213631d3ac31197a82b7947fbd73.png

The Spaniard was brought in from Bayern on a somewhat cheap fee of only €5m (his injury record may have been one of the main issues) the best left back at the club.

Layvin Kurzawa

image.png.88425392f0fc9c404a7cec022da29d8b.png

Another full back who starts out with a long term injury but a player I’ve always liked in FM hopefully injury doesn’t hamper him.

Verdict and plans

This was an area Tuchel wanted to strengthen seeing the current injuries and lack of quality depth it’s clear to see why. For the right back slot I’m thinking Kevin Mbabu who I’ve heard develops quite nicely as for left back I’m not too sure perhaps I’ll go French again a look at Lucas Hernandez or Ferland Mendy. Mitchel Bakker will join in the summer but depending on Bernat’s fitness I may need someone for now given that Bakker would be one for the future.

Buy Vagnoman. Both sides. Very solid and would develop other attributes with maturity already on his side.

I've bought Vagnoman in my Dortmund save so wanted to go down a different path but I agree he is a fantastic full back on either side. 

One more big piece of news

image.thumb.png.972fb44137bc13e99860bd9653b0dae4.png

The club is in talks to buy Parc de Princes after I suggested they do so.

This will not only give me the opportunity to expand the stadium, but also take away the current 5m a year the club currently spends renting the stadium and will mean we'll keep all the stadium revenue going forward. So a big step forward for the club

On 15/03/2019 at 12:59, lblanc said:

I'd watch the full games a notepad and take notes on what they do and then compare to what my Assistant, scouts and Analysts have said.

In match that must be fun. I noticed Bayern changing formation against me, took ten minutes for my assistant to tell me it looks like they've changed shape.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

In match that must be fun. I noticed Bayern changing formation against me, took ten minutes for my assistant to tell me it looks like they've changed shape.

Yep Bayern have a nice habit of changing formation when they are winning, drawing and losing at certain times.

From my notes they usually line up with a 4-3-3 normally with the one of that 3 dropping into the hole usually Thiago or Martinez

If they are leading and are comfortable they usually drop that back to 4-1-4-1 with the two wingers dropping back to have two banks of 4 and that one in the middle mopping up.

They do have a nice habit of going for it when they are losing and going for 3-3-4 type formation, making them very susceptible to direct counters over the top into the wings, this is how I destroyed them 6-1 with Dortmund after I went to 3-0 up they went for it, (I usually have the formations widget on during games) I dropped Witsel back to DM position and he pinged balls out to Sancho and Reus and took advantage of that.

Monaco also do something very similar and again I was able to take full advantage of that. 

11 minutes ago, lblanc said:

Yep Bayern have a nice habit of changing formation when they are winning, drawing and losing at certain times.

From my notes they usually line up with a 4-3-3 normally with the one of that 3 dropping into the hole usually Thiago or Martinez

If they are leading and are comfortable they usually drop that back to 4-1-4-1 with the two wingers dropping back to have two banks of 4 and that one in the middle mopping up.

They do have a nice habit of going for it when they are losing and going for 3-3-4 type formation, making them very susceptible to direct counters over the top into the wings, this is how I destroyed them 6-1 with Dortmund after I went to 3-0 up they went for it, (I usually have the formations widget on during games) I dropped Witsel back to DM position and he pinged balls out to Sancho and Reus and took advantage of that.

Monaco also do something very similar and again I was able to take full advantage of that. 

They've got Leon Bailey and Guedes on the wings in my Leipzig save, Kovacic in the middle, so they tend to try and counter me.

Already drawing up plans for the summer window, I don't think I'll be adding to the squad come the winter, The only squad changes will see Dani Alves replace Saelemaekers in the CL who has gone on loan to Grasshoppers Zurich until the end of the season (Thought this would take effect come January but he went in November)

OUT

I think a bit of a clear out will happen in the summer. Here is the players at whose futures are in the air

Thiago Silva- despite being captain at the club (Even though he seems reluctant to help with any squad issues- despite only having one of these so far) and a decent player at 34 I think it may be a good time for him to go with Malang Sarr coming in next season, the old man Silva may just go if I can find a buyer (Man U were interested earlier in the season)

Buffon- This is a big one he is out of contract, but I can extend for a further year, so far this season I've rotated between himself and Areola with Rajkovic playing once or twice (he'll start the cup games for sure), My only issue is that he be 41 come the end of the season and my coach reports are claiming his stats are starting to decline. He is great for experience though and is a leader in the dressing room, so if I am to see Silva then his leadership will be key to bring harmony to the group

Dani Alves -Dani is out of contract and is 35 and is one of the very higher earners at the club, unless he does a brilliant job in the 6 months he has left then I won't be renewing.

Meunier- This all depends on what price I can get for him, he is still wanted by Man U, Arsenal and Shandong in China, so we'll see who is willing to pay 20-25m for him which is around my asking price. Also depends on bringing in a replacement.

Draxler/Di Maria- One of them will go at the moment I'm more leaning towards the German as I think he'll demand a better fee and Di Maria has been a very good influence in the team and so far hasn't complained about his playing second fiddle to Neymar on the left wing and Veratti in the Mezzala role (which he isn't actually natural at but has done a decent job there when called upon) unlike Draxler who has had a bit of a moan which tbh was resolved by me telling him there is plenty of football to be played.

Cavani- Again another who people will think but why? Simple answer Mbappe is now ahead of him and given he is now 31 I think it may be time to cash in especially as Simeone is also nudging ahead of him.

IN

One thing I found is a lack of French home based players I just got to the 8 required for CL so Home Grown is key here.

Malang Sarr- Already bought he'll replace Silva giving me another home grown player

Miralem Pjanic- I've been scouting him for the season so far, I think he'll be fantastic as a regista and give Paredes a break as the moment I'm playing Kehrer and Marquinhos there when Paredes needs a break. Home Grown at Metz and Lyon so he'll add to the squad in that sense replacing the outgoing Draxler/Di Maria void. Will probably cost close to treble figures but will count towards a high profile signing which the board currently state I haven't met.

Mauro Icardi- Another who I've been keeping a close eye on, from what I've seen on the Serie A thread, if he doesn't leave in January then he will most likely be on the transfer list come the summer, this all depends on Cavani going as it will be a like for like replacement in terms of non Home Grown players.

Nordi Mukiele- this is one which may not happen but he is on a list of right backs I have in mind to replace Meunier if I sell him, i'm also keeping an eye on what Benfica choose to do with Sebastian Corchia who will be French and available for only 7m and who has experience from Lique 1 with Lille and also is a local Parisian and I don't think he'd have much issues being rotated with Saelemaekers, I remember him being a fantastic buy around in FM15-16 but I never had a chance to get him in the 17 or 18 and I think real life injuries may have caught up on him, but he remains an option.

December

image.thumb.png.bd7a3eb3d2774b32c0a65f504b8a4b0f.png

December seen my first official loss of the season as I crashed out of the Coupe de la Ligue on penalties to Strasbourg, A game I should have won in the allotted 90 minutes but I just couldn't find a way through. Juan Bernat missed his penalty and I was out. One positive of the game was being able to give some rotation and young players a chance

image.png.3a31adf4282ea3aff78cefe3537c2967.png

Stepping up and becoming the youngest player to play for the first team was Adil Aouchiche, the young playmaker played the full 90 minutes and done very well, he'll definitely be one i'll be keeping an eye on for the future

It was another perfect month in the league and with Lyon dropping more points as you can see from the screenshot below I have a very healthy lead.

image.thumb.png.32c24a724c7c0685e97f6ca69c8d9832.png

In the Champions League

image.thumb.png.95200ebb001d65e3824b82bb022cc7c9.png

I topped the group by 6 points, given that I was top seeds it meant I would avoid some potential big names but the draw wasn't too kind to me as I drew the Germans Champions. Bayern Munich, a tough trip if there ever was one.

image.png.0362bb97af1a4658ed64d0ab85d187a9.png

Though it may have been worse

image.thumb.png.953a63ad725a543da90096d35332ce8f.png

As I may have drawn Real Madrid who had finished behind Man U in the group stage on goal difference..

January

A month of significant change but not in the results department

image.thumb.png.80968b9d8d5a335ad1471d811147dfd0.png

4 games played, 4 wins, 13 goals scored, 0 conceded.

Now onto the change, I know I wasn't planning on any transfers but after offering  out the services of Julian Draxler I received a nice €45m bid for him from Bayern so off he went.

To replace him I decided to splash the cash I had in reserve and in came 

Sergej Milinković-Savić from Lazio for 80M (rising to 92M), a player who has been amazing for the last few years in FM but I never actually used him myself so I decided why not.

image.png.717398ed47bebd5880c417e8abebcaaf.png

There has also been change in the right back department 

Thomas Meunier departed for Man U for €30M  and in one I did not expect Dani Alves left for Palmeiras for €2M, he had initially agreed to join at the end of season after his contract expired but I decided to see if they wished to buy him now and was surprised to see them accept so off he went.

So with the young Saelemaekers out on loan that meant we had no right backs, so after a little negotiating and unsettling.

in came 

image.png.5f582fd9e56e94ab95e9ff906d99c3ee.pngimage.png.50d100275f5c6476831c56466b9b99e2.png

World Cup winner Djibril Sidibe for €14.5M  from AS Monaco and Leo Dubois for €18.5M from Lyon.

The League table at the end of January

image.thumb.png.27d38a46f3c8554dbb834697ed616321.png

A nice 14 point gap between myself and Lyon, and guess what the first game of February is

image.thumb.png.8e54ef3cda466835a5c253a0e7a9c0d2.png

You guessed it Lyon, so here is hoping to a potential 17 point gap after that game.

I am currently playing as Lyon and 2nd season in PSG didn't win the title.  After a 4 horse race it was won by Marseille with Monaco 2nd, PSG 3rd and me in 4th.  Could be a very interesting save...

Forgot to add that Yaya Toure officially signed for me at the start of January, He is merely backup and is out of contract come the summer, unless he plays 10 games in the league.

I left him out of the Champions League squad and he became unhappy, I tried to reassure him that I'd play him in the league but he was having none of it.

TBH unless there is an injury crisis, I can't see him reaching that 10 games . I may even release him before the end of the season.

February

So were I left off I had a 14 point gap which could be extended after the first game of the month.

image.thumb.png.0477ea3ae32bec8b18f53544d24e6907.png

And my first league loss of the season, a horrible first half.but a brilliant last ten minutes nearly seen me draw level but it wasn't to be.

image.png.3d9785aed4da2dc9fb08e938546693cd.png

The backup players got a run out in the cup and seen me through to the 11th round.two nice wins against Bordeaux and that Saint Etienne win, was a little nervy at the end but I held on, even better was Monaco beating Lyon to bring my lead back to 14 points. 

A Neymar master class against Bayern will see me take 2 away goals back to Paris and I finished the month with an emphatic 7-0 win over Nimes with Bruno Fernandes grabbing 4 goals.

image.thumb.png.da113e592b454ed480b56e584fea67b4.png

Next up in March

image.thumb.png.94cf69029200be71bf557755f23e7e12.png

Two games against Toulouse, the second leg of the Champions League last 16 and the Classico at home.

59 minutes ago, nateliv said:

While they have undoubtedly put together an outstanding attack, the team’s tactics are limited by imagination and order. Against Guingamp in league play, Neymar may be able to net a hat-trick all on his own to deliver three points. However, against the likes of Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, this approach will likely not produce anything but failure.

Yep that is my exact thoughts on them as a team, tbh once I completed the squad synopsis I realised how short they are.

Of course a front 3 of Neymar-Cavani-Mbappe is amazing but behind that they have Choupo-Moting.

They have some decent midfielders too in Draxler, di Maria and Veratti but again outside of that not much.

Defence would probably be the only area you could say they have adequate cover though Kehrer and Kimpembe wouldn't be in the same league as Silva and Marquinhos they wouldn't look out of place in any top team.

The stupid thing is they keep letting their homegrown midfielders go - Rabiot is off on a free because he knew he was never going to get a chance to become an undisputed No. 1 and similar to Barcelona they're paying their forward line so much he could probably earn more elsewhere, Claudio Gomes went to Man City - Pep hasn't exactly created his own version of the Busby Babes there so if someone thinks City is better for their development you know its gone wrong - Adli just went to Bordeaux...you get my point. They're doing a poor imitation of early-2000s Madrid's Zidanes y Pavones thing - they've got the Zidanes, but the Pavones - academy players to either challenge for the first team or just fill out the squad if they're not quite good enough - aren't there, instead they're blowing £30m on Kehrer and if you've actually paid for a Schalke youth product (Sané excepted as he's incredible)  you're an absolute mug, everyone knows you wait for their contracts to run down then arrange a deal 6 months in advance of it expiring. Its not like their isn't talent in Paris either, they could probably get by without ever sending a youth scout outside the larger metropolitan area if they wanted to. 

Kimpembe is a notable exception, and I've got to think its not a coincidence that he first got his chance under Laurent Blanc, before not winning the Champions League became a sackable offence in Paris. 

18 hours ago, zlatanera said:

The stupid thing is they keep letting their homegrown midfielders go - Rabiot is off on a free because he knew he was never going to get a chance to become an undisputed No. 1 and similar to Barcelona they're paying their forward line so much he could probably earn more elsewhere, Claudio Gomes went to Man City - Pep hasn't exactly created his own version of the Busby Babes there so if someone thinks City is better for their development you know its gone wrong - Adli just went to Bordeaux...you get my point. They're doing a poor imitation of early-2000s Madrid's Zidanes y Pavones thing - they've got the Zidanes, but the Pavones - academy players to either challenge for the first team or just fill out the squad if they're not quite good enough - aren't there, instead they're blowing £30m on Kehrer and if you've actually paid for a Schalke youth product (Sané excepted as he's incredible)  you're an absolute mug, everyone knows you wait for their contracts to run down then arrange a deal 6 months in advance of it expiring. Its not like their isn't talent in Paris either, they could probably get by without ever sending a youth scout outside the larger metropolitan area if they wanted to. 

Kimpembe is a notable exception, and I've got to think its not a coincidence that he first got his chance under Laurent Blanc, before not winning the Champions League became a sackable offence in Paris. 

100%

I think I seen something not too long ago that the French squads all the way down to u15 contained something like 80% of it was players born within the metropolitan area of Paris.

But yes the one thing I also from was the lack of not only Club home grown but French home grown players

I think before I brought in some players they had only 8.

But it is mad that that is all they had, in the last World Cup 52 players were born in France  of that 29% were born in Paris.

I think this showcases this

https://runrepeat.com/most-football-talent-france

March

So March was the month we were back pursuing the European Dream, after a 2-0 win in Munich, we had  one foot in the quarters.

image.thumb.png.b0ea2d4e3cf6dc65a36f4bd280597b4f.png

I didn't start off the month well though, dropping points away to Caen, needing extra time in the cup against Toulouse and a last minute penalty from Cavani to beat Nantes.

A 2-2 draw against Bayern was enough, it was nervy for a while as it was 2-1 to them for a long time and they were pushing hard but a Cavani goal on the counter in the last five minutes finished it for them and put me into the quarters where I picked up a very handy draw which I'll showcase later.

The win at home to Marseille in the derby confirmed that I'd be playing Champions League football next season as I went clear of them in 4th place by 28 points with 27 left to play for.

I then finished of the month with another comfortable win against Toulouse, to leave me 12 clear at the top with 8 games left to play.

image.thumb.png.962b4b55efc8800125cbee61462a5674.png

So that champions league draw

image.thumb.png.0a0b88db96ceabf0b8b838801e1bba0f.png

Valencia while they will be a tough test is a much easier one then any of the others I could have gotten.

The fixtures for April the quarter finals of the French Cup and the Champions League and I'd like to hope by the end of the month I'll be Ligue 1 champions.

image.thumb.png.9858d26807293bac92576674ea5a05cc.png

In other big news when qualification for Europe was confirmed I got my budget for next year

image.thumb.png.10621b300a1170a477b32ed3d52a012d.png

A whopping €231m

April

The month of the quarters

image.thumb.png.6f6c53516fb0ed017cd748e88a863b95.png

The first 3 games of the month, went well, a 3-0 win over Strasbourg and a comfortable 2-0 win in the French Cup, the Valencia game finished 1-1 despite me having the better of the game I could only manage to get the one, the match also seen an injury to Kylian Mbappe which would see him miss the rest of the month.

image.png.f4f351bb9e3df51bdcbab977e5185f50.png

The draw in Valencia was followed by another draw in Lille, though it could have been better as Cavani missed a penalty. This gave Lyon the chance to bring it back to 12 points which the duly did away to Nantes (they had drew themselves against Dijon at the start of the month.)

Up next was the second leg of the Champions League quarter final against Valencia, one I was confident of winning, well I did but it turned out to be an absolute classic.

image.png.f15a85ed2b1c6eeccc330c3334c8c7aa.png

I was twice going out after PSG old boy Guedes had made it 2-2, but Neymar scored a fantastic goal to put me back in front, then another old boy Gameiro made it 3-3. But straight  from kickoff Verratti finished off a superb move to put me back in front. Valencia hit the bar in the last minute too but that is how it finished, through to the Semis.

Back to the league I went

image.png.b5eaa972b7c75674ac72c2aaa9d9f497.png

A thumping win over AS Monaco meant if I won my next game and Lyon failed to, I would win Ligue 1

image.png.a8b5b8cd84d9f1259521a73d017f8e75.png

I left it late enough but a stunning goal from Di Maria seen me go 15 points clear, over to Lyon who faced Bordeaux

image.png.7b86c4b2aadf044f8e0c9b724f575042.png

MERCI!!!

image.thumb.png.31d86d60588da83938a57ea32a727647.png

CHAMPIONS!!!

image.thumb.png.9e01cb2e19541fa74bba02ce4080bc27.png

I've included the bottom half of the table this time as it is very tight down there, from Nantes down could still drop down to Ligue 2

image.thumb.png.b31624d6680f4691cf09ec17988f1ff1.png

So onto May which will be the month of Semi's and possibly two finals

image.thumb.png.58be051f76eb5bc89826a42f674c398e.png

I drew Atlético Madrid in the CL with the first leg at home, followed by an away trip to Lyon in the French cup the only place I've lost so far.

The other Champions League Semi see's Liverpool play Inter Milan.

One more piece of news from April seen me delve into that transfer budget for the first time. I had initially targeted Florian Thauvin but Marseille wanted 90M so I went looking for alternatives and on the transfer list for €66m

Bienvenue à Paris 

image.png.33e343a35bc47823cdd5a339921b08cf.png

FEDERICO CHIESA

I am also in discussions to bring in another member of the French World Cup Winning Team, but I will not reveal that until complete.

It's Pogba, isn't it? You can't get Rabiot to sign on so you need a top midfielder, and he's French from Paris, a World Cup winner and most likely available given how many people with United saves complain about him wanting to leave.

I'd missed that you got rid of Rabiot and already replaced him. I still think Pogba might be it though, or perhaps Lucas Hernandez. 

22 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

It's Pogba, isn't it? You can't get Rabiot to sign on so you need a top midfielder, and he's French from Paris, a World Cup winner and most likely available given how many people with United saves complain about him wanting to leave.

I'd missed that you got rid of Rabiot and already replaced him. I still think Pogba might be it though, or perhaps Lucas Hernandez. 

Nope and Nope 

I shall reveal in my next update ;-)

Nice man I did a psg save with the first roster and I never got anywhere near as much money as you! Makes me want to start over but I'm attached. I got everyone first season instead of pavon sold di Maria. The board only gave me about 15-25 million first season and i did a few transfers with future fees. 

4 hours ago, jorgobot said:

Nice man I did a psg save with the first roster and I never got anywhere near as much money as you! Makes me want to start over but I'm attached. I got everyone first season instead of pavon sold di Maria. The board only gave me about 15-25 million first season and i did a few transfers with future fees. 

I might be wrong but I think PSG may have been under FFP investigation at the start of the season, hence the low budget. I started with Winter update I had 60m (I think) a lot of my transfers are future fees too plus selling Rabiot for €45m helped.

Can't remember how much I got in Janaury but the funds from the sales of Meunier, Kurzawa, Draxler and Dani Alves helped to bring in replacements.

I will also add in terms of next season (and this may be a clue in terms of that WC winner) but I love China and their willingness to pay €34m for a 34 year old centre back .

May- Part 1

I've decided to split the last month into two sections

First up the home leg of the Champions League semi final

image.png.866ea5eff75157bbf62fd95f5ff214a4.pngimage.thumb.png.900db3cc1eae5185aa03a5daabc09488.png

A last minute Diego Godin own goal gave me a slender lead, just reward for my 27 shots.

Next up was the French Cup semi final away to Lyon

image.png.d9e50048a81b5b21b97ca57067781d1a.png

Pavon and Cavani gave me the goals needed to see them off, Schopf scored in the last 5 minutes to make it a nervy finish, especially when Silva decided to give away a needless corner in stoppage time, Lopes went up but thankfully Areola was exactly where he needed to be to claim it and see it out, 

Next on the agenda the second leg in Madrid

image.png.80c53a71f6bfcf12b392a7c562b7c89f.png

And the Dream is over until next year, Griezmann's pace proved too much for me and when I decided to attack with more gusted from the 75th minute, Diego Costa sucker punched me to put it beyond doubt. Until next year.

After that I had a potential record breaking game against Angers win and I would break the number of wins in a single season (30)

image.png.aed77b02eae53700a18581437674e23d.png

And win I did I now hold the record for the most wins and have equaled the most points. With 3 games left to go I extend that record further and hopefully add the French Cup to my trophy haul this season.

image.thumb.png.aabac6e7fd392035d3c055e4a9934c05.png

Now for that big transfer news 

I don't think Malang Sarr is quite ready yet so he'll be loaned out again next season, after my champions league exit I noticed Thiago Silva had a Wnt icon on him, so I had a chat with him and he agreed he wanted a new challenge (to my surprise) he was valued at €20m so I was expecting around that which I duly got from Man U and Roma but you have to love China Shanghai Shanggang came in with €34m offer, a million of each year of Thiago Silva's life I could not say no.

So who have I lined up to replace him ???

He's French

World Cup Winner

Coming from the Spanish League

A 4 time Champions League Winner

Bienvenue à Paris

image.png.c353fd94dac65a81a94a8b0693f7a5b5.png

Raphaël Varane

At an initial cost of €55m (rising to €75) at only 26 Varane brings a wealth of experience which will help guide the younger players in the defence.

37 minutes ago, john1 said:

fantastic replacement for Silva :thup:  Shame you couldn't finish the job off in Spain against Atlético Madrid :( 

Yeah was a pity alright, one thing Varane will also give me is pace at the back, something which Silva doesn't have (at least anymore)

May -Part 2 + Cup Final

So the last 3 league games of the season

image.thumb.png.39d8ee3d4b211315141783afd3f0baae.png

3 relatively easy games the 2-1 over Nice being probably the only one which troubled me in anyway. Neymar was the star against Dijon with 4 goals, and then I finished off the league campaign, with a 3-0 win over Reims.

That meant the final league standings were as follows

image.thumb.png.498fd3219f7bb033ad15bd4c72e1712b.png

105 points to win, a big shoutout to Lyon who amassed 90 points which would have been enough points to win the league most years. The shock has to be Nice getting relegated. That last match day though was one for the neutrals with the Relegation playoff spot changing numerous times, but a last gasp Nantes equaliser dropped Strasbourg down on goal difference

image.png.7a33e05d24203d0bc35fd00231c9c616.png

They will play the winner of Ajaccio or Auxerre to see if they can survive.

But first up for Auxerre was the French Cup Final

image.png.1a79edadd1aa6a178e3f6d2bf61f0bb0.png

All i'll say is that can't have done their confidence any good.

Another trophy in the bag!!

Next post shall be End of season review and my summer plans

End of Season Review

Hard to argue with the end of season awards, Neymar was fantastic all year most goals and most assists

image.png.6ea1f86f54a9f374ce69820ceffea5ef.png

image.png.3a0c75951080f1915934ef56c1a6a305.png

Bruno Fernandes claims Young Player of the Season , he got 20 goals and 9 assists.

image.png.55569496513b04aca4620fe50bafbd8b.png

Meunier gets into the team of the season despite leaving in January, 

image.thumb.png.c2ede124cb87eb76e552a170ea0e7e0d.png

One other point I'll add

my reserves went through their season unbeaten

image.thumb.png.466104095577d7ae3b0749c72c3f0b68.png

My U19's

image.thumb.png.6f62faddcec1eb016e737522fc4d71b0.png

finished well clear in their league, but unfortunately lost in extra time to Monaco in the playoffs

But I'm very pleased with them, some very talented youngsters in both squads.

Next Season Plans 

So second season, as already said above Varane will come in to replace Thiago Silva. Just before the Reims game I was rocked with the news Buffon will retire in November (?Of all times?) this is two months after I decided to extend his contract a further year. So a replacement for him is needed, I have my eyes on Jan Oblak he has a €137m buyout clause which I will see if I can potentially drop down.

I'm undecided about Di Maria and Cavani they are the wrong side of 30 now but they both done extremely well when I needed them last season and never complained about playing second fiddle to the Neymar-Mbappe-Pavon trio. I'll of course have Chiesa coming in to compete for that right wing with Pavon meaning Mbappe will more be a central option for me next year as he be needed less as right wing cover.

Next update will be when pre-season starts for me which will be 1st July.

But before I go

image.thumb.png.115a649d3e5778bba1f3b648d6b12436.png

I now own the Stadium!!

Archived