I'll go along with what Ben said. Iceland and Wales have been excellent so far, and I would've backed them to qualify, even if the Euros hadn't been expanded.

This must surely be the golden generation of Icelandic football - if I remember correctly, Iceland were in the World Cup play-offs and narrowly lost out to Croatia. With the likes of Gylfi Sigurdsson and Kolbeinn Sigthorsson, they won't be making up the numbers at Euro 2016.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody here have an unusual, different, odd hobby or interest?

I met a guy today who enjoyed making fishing seats out of old fishing rods. Just got me intrigued into what everyone else likes.

Mine is Newcastle United.

I'm a store manager for a retail chain in Australia, I also coach Girls football (u17) and our side won the title last week, I also took over the Women's team in the last 7 weeks when their coach walked out and we have won 4/7 and moved up to third last which will hopefully see them avoid relegation.

It will be a long, long time before Shaw sets foot on a football pitch again. And yes, not to get a card for that is ridiculous.

And that's the real shame of it. He was just starting to look like a Manchester United player in the early part of this season. Be a shame if he misses out on the chance to go to the Euro's next summer too.

Double leg fracture, apparently. I'd be amazed if he's fit enough to go to France next summer.

It's really gutting because, as Neil suggested, Luke Shaw was really starting to establish himself at Manchester United. I'm also disappointed because he's in my fantasy team, and I'll obviously have to replace him now.

As for the loss to PSV, even though it was only the first game, it could be costly for United. Wolfsburg are also looking strong in their group, so I'm not entirely convinced that United will finish in the top two. I'm even less convinced about City's prospects after their choke against Juventus.

Mike Dean what a complete an utter moronic decision.

Diego Costa needs a Luke Shaw moment, I can't stand that and quite frankly he doesn't even deserve to play (Yes a six month lay off is harsh, but he is a complete an utter f*cking tosspot)

While it won't help Arsenal now, hopefully they will overturn that, strange that he also gave him a straight red but I doubt he seen anything.

I'd have to say Chelsea is probably the team I hate the most in the EPL between JM and Costa are just two people I can't stand.

I wouldn't wish a broken leg on Costa, but he is utterly dislikeable. He's very lucky still to be on the pitch after those incidents with Koscielny and Gabriel.

As far as Gabriel is concerned, he behaved very poorly. A more experienced defender wouldn't have been provoked by Costa's silly games, but Gabriel did react, and Costa got what he wanted - an Arsenal red card. I'd rather not see Gabriel in an Arsenal shirt again for a long time, because his stupidity has probably cost us dear in a massive game.

Now we're a man down and a goal down. It's hard to imagine us getting a result from that scenario against Chelsea.

I wouldn't go as far as wish Costa gets a broken leg like Shaw - no professional should have that inflicted on him - but he is an utterly detestable player. It's been a long, long time that I've been so angry at an opposition player and the referee for being an utter incompetent moron. Costa pushed Kos in the face with both hands, then knocks him over off the ball. Doesn't even get a foul called against him "because the ref didn't see it" bollocks. Gab stands up for his teammate (disappointing that he's the only one that did) and Costa gets to spend the next 3 minutes winding him up. Gab gets booked along with Costa, flicks his foot a bit at him, gets a straight red. Costa somehow stays on the pitch. Gab should have been smarter, but it's also a bit worrying that none of his teammates really tried to stop him or get him to back away. It's at those moments we miss someone like Mert, who is the 'big brother' when he's out on the pitch and whom I reckon would have stopped Gab. Part of me isn't even that mad at him though, because he actually stood up to Costa. The way I see it, it's a situation he never should have even been in to begin with, because Costa should have been already walking off the pitch.

Ridiculous. The match was pretty even up until that point. Chelsea having more possession but not looking too dangerous. Arsenal having the odd decent chance on the break. Probably heading for a stalemate draw but both teams were in it and it was a decent (albeit not particularly exciting) contest . Game turns entirely on a dumb decision by the ref. No real complaints about Carzola's sending off, but when Ivanovic got to take out Sanchez 4 times in the first half without getting even a booking, it just makes your blood boil. I'm so angry about it I actually think I'll have to give football a bit of a wide berth for a while.

I didn't watch the game, but I had an idea of what went on when my Twitter feed blew up with lots of cursing and swearing.

I really want to know what would be required for Costa to receive an appropriate punishment. He seems to get away with a lot.

Just an idea guys but I was thinking about seeing if we can get the forum introduction to FMS changed. Now this is where you guys come in. If we could get some good ideas to have a new introduction to our forum. Could you PM me your ideas then we can have a vote to decide which one will be the winner.

I'm also going to try and get rid of the Important Links as most are redundant now or are stickied in the forum

I'll give till this coming Sunday 4th October to send me something in. If I receive nothing I'll let Neil know that we will be keeping the intro as it is

A bunch of excellent top notch writers like yourselves shouldn't have a problem to produce something :D

How about something like: "Welcome to FMS - a place where literature and Football Manager combine to produce beautiful music. Whether you're trying your hand at an epic piece, setting up an hilarious sign-up game, or simply weaving a narrative through your latest or greatest experiences in the game, we welcome all who either love to write, or love to read what other people write. Please visit the FMS House Rules & FAQs first as we do have some forum-specific rules in order to keep our stories accessible and easy to read. We hope you enjoy your stay and find encouragement and entertainment in our corner of the internet!"

Point of the matter is that if you get it right like Balty did, there's little sense in reinventing the wheel. I thought he did a great job and would only change his first sentence. I'd suggest: Welcome to FMS - the Internet's oldest and foremost forum for Football Manager fan fiction. We're the place where literature and Football Manager combine to produce a different kind of 'Theatre of Dreams'.

I liked the old introduction, but it seems very dated now (the TOTP reference in particular shows its age).

It's probably time for a new intro, and I have to say that Balth's proposal looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing what WLKRAS has suggested as well.

No reason why I can't put it here I suppose

Welcome to the hallowed halls of FMS. This is where you make the magic happen. Where you can share your epic tale from the depths of the footballing pyramid to the very top. Did you find love along the way? Or is your story a succession of failures and despair?

FMS is home to some wonderful tales of love and hate, intertwined with football, sprinkled with a little FM magic on the top. Or, if that's a little too much for you, there's plenty of plain old football story telling too.

And no, it's not weird to write a story based on a fictional universe that consists of mainly numbers and statistics. It's really not...[/Quote]

This season Channel 5 in the UK have the rights to the Football League (not actually seen the show despite being presented by Kelly Dalglish, but it has been panned by the critics), it shows on a Saturday evening (UK time) and I think it airs before match of the Day is on BBC1.

BT Sport have the rights to non-league football and show the occasional game (including last season's victory by Chester over Wrexham including a 94th minute winner - catch it on You Tube -it's an awesome goal) and I think they have a highlights package of non-league footy although I've not seen it this season and I'm going off last season's experience for that, I guess they might have cut back on the non-league stuff given their monopoly on the champion's league this year.

Thank you for the effort on this, Mark. Looks great and updates us nicely, not that we don't like Britney Spears.

No worries tenthree, I think it makes it look alittle neater and as for Britney, who doesn't like her. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I have an original idea for a new save and potential story to boot. My idea would see me merge the one professional club with the four other amateur ones from one city, pool their resources and rebrand them. Clearly I already have the city and teams in mind to begin my new project. For a city of it's size, they haven't been able muster much of an influence on the footballing world. This is where I believe merging the five clubs together will make the most of the huge catchment area the city sits in, thus enabling the club to grow and prosper.

The idea is not too far fetched as during my research I discovered that two of the existing amateur clubs have actually followed the same blueprint prior to the start of this season.

So I am asking if their are any authors of stories that play with a part-fictional club such as my proposal. It would be interesting to read their progress and hopefully help inspire my new save.

First of all, welcome to FMS. To be honest, you should've posted this in the Community Thread first, and then create a new thread only when you have a bona fide story.

With regards to your proposal, it sounds like a good one. I've not come across any similar stories, so it'll be interesting to see how you approach such an original idea.

Archived