• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I am asking if their are any authors of stories that play with a part-fictional club such as my proposal.

In truth, all our clubs are fictional since we're managing them. :)

I like this idea quite a bit. It's a bit different from the traditional 'make a club and sign up' sort of thing. Would be interested to see what you come up with, and welcome to FMS!

Watching Chelsea and West Ham at the moment and I'm disturbed not so much by Chelsea's play as by their discipline.

They got nailed by goal line review and Fabregas was a hair offside and I get that they're frustrated, but their reaction to Matic's sending off was a gong show. How can they be expected to play well when they take two yellows for dissent and get a coach sent to the stand in a two-minute span?

And more importantly, how can you take two yellow cards for dissent when both the cards on Matic were as plain as the nose on your face?

Watching Chelsea and West Ham at the moment and I'm disturbed not so much by Chelsea's play as by their discipline.

They got nailed by goal line review and Fabregas was a hair offside and I get that they're frustrated, but their reaction to Matic's sending off was a gong show. How can they be expected to play well when they take two yellows for dissent and get a coach sent to the stand in a two-minute span?

And more importantly, how can you take two yellow cards for dissent when both the cards on Matic were as plain as the nose on your face?

Chelsea's response in this match is an example of 'siege mentality' crossing over into 'paranoia'. The former can help to galvanise a group mentally, the latter tends to be too destructive. To be honest, Mourinho has pushed it too far, now even his players are acting as if it's all some grand conspiracy against them and it's not helping given how down on form a lot of their key players are at the moment.

5 losses out of the first 10 games. Defending their title is pretty much over. At this rate, just getting Champions League qualification will be difficult and require a monumental transformation in their form.

I can't say I profess any real love for Chelsea in it's current iteration, particularly with Mourinho with manager, but this implosion is nearing near legendary status, it's all quite bizarre.

This is an example of a death spiral in the making. Confidence is down, and when you add the frustration that a bunker mentality inevitably fosters, you get a significant issue.

A bunker mentality is fine as long as you win. If you don't win, it's a cancer. Mourinho is learning that -- oddly enough, there are still things even a manager of his skill and stature can learn.

This is an example of a death spiral in the making. Confidence is down, and when you add the frustration that a bunker mentality inevitably fosters, you get a significant issue.

A bunker mentality is fine as long as you win. If you don't win, it's a cancer. Mourinho is learning that -- oddly enough, there are still things even a manager of his skill and stature can learn.

I try not to gloat when it comes to football, because things can change rapidly, but Mourinho's antics make it so, so tempting to gloat. It's unraveling for him at an astounding rate and he's starting to sound more desperate and delusional by the week. Assuming he's not sacked very soon, this could really blow up into something of epic proportions the likes of which this league has not seen before.

Also: what the heck is up with United at the moment. Massive outlay on offensive players over the past two seasons. Three drab 0-0 draws in a row, including 1 shot on target across the last two. And that 1 shot came from a free kick. They are currently a worse version of Arsenal from 4-5 seasons ago - sideways possession and no chances created.

Can't help but feel part of Chelsea's slump is down to what happened with Eva Carneiro. Mourinho is sounding like a broken record waiting for the axe to chop as he is too proud to resign. Reports of him losing the dressing room keep coming up frequent which makes me think a lot of this slump is down to what happened with the physio.

Interesting observation about Carneiro, who I understand has named Mourinho personally in her employment complaint. I can't imagine Eden Hazard reacted well to his manager saying she didn't "understand the game" when she was treating him for injury.

*quietly clears throat*

So, um, hi everyone.

Has there been any change in FMS rules regarding external links? I have, for about a year, been arcing back towards writing again in 5m1w (we're now about 2+ years on from my last entries in gametime). In doing that, I realized that part of the issue for me was the time it took to post things both here and at mknn.wordpress.com (things never would cleanly copy/paste, yadda yadda).

Am working on another project that I think folks here, especially the history buffs, will enjoy quite a bit, hopefully staring in early 2016. More on that in the next few weeks, I hope.

Hey, Mak!

All the rules say is that the posts need to contain original content. You've posted here before and I don't want to discourage you from posting here, so I guess the best thing I can tell you is to post and do your best. What we don't want is the kind of post that essentially says "hey, I'm writing a story, go to my blog and read it". We know you don't post that way so let's figure it out.

These are dark times for us Gooners. For the first time since 2000, it looks like we're going to exit the Champions League before the last 16. :(

To be honest, it's our own fault for putting in those two awful performances against Dinamo Zagreb and Olympiakos. The home win over Bayern Munich was a false dawn, with tonight's game showing how far behind Bayern we are in terms of technical ability and execution. Watching that dream team at work tonight convinced me that I had just seen this season's Champions League winners.

We'll still have a chance of getting through if we win by at least two goals at Olympiakos, but trying to second-guess how Arsenal will do on any given day is like trying to predict the lottery numbers.

Still, at least we're doing well in the Premier League, in stark contrast to another London club who were in continental action tonight... :lol:

My prediction about the Chelski situation is that Mourinho will be gone before Christmas, and also that once the full story about Carneiro emerges, no other English club will want to touch the sexist egomaniac with a barge pole. Meanwhile, Ancelotti will return to Stamford Bridge and make Chelsea an entertaining and, dare I say, likeable team again.

Personally I somehow find myself a bit none too fussed. We've come back from tough situations before, but even if we don't get out of the group, I don't think it's that big a deal. We've had a good run and it's bound to end some day.

If we go out of Europe I'd rather us miss out on Europa entirely. The competition is still too long and bloated, and while it's better now than some of its previous iterations, I'd rather we go out of Europe entirely so that we can give a real tilt at winning the title and retaining the FA Cup. While on paper our squad is quite deep, actual performances of our squad players when they have been selected has been patchy. We've also got one of those injury crises at the moment which doesn't help either, and you can see that the squad looks a little stretched. Fewer games until we get more bodies back is ideal.

Problem is, Europa league does look quite likely if we win at home against Zagreb. But then we have to win by at least 2 goals in Greece, assuming they don't take anything off Bayern. It's the kind of setup we love to fail at in Europe!

If you have Microsoft Office, and specifically Microsoft OneNote, you could try this.

I've just tried that method out for the first time, and it works reasonably well, though it's not perfect.

If that method fails, or you don't have OneNote, you could try Online OCR.

I don't use Microsoft Office I use open office. Does that make a difference

My thoughts go out to all in Paris.....what a truly horrible world we live in sometimes. However the stories of people coming together shows the scumbag terrorists that they will not win

I could say a lot more but I cant give myself an infraction for some of the stuff I could and want to say

I'm trying to find the right place to post a story/update of my career as Freddy Pepper. It doesn't seem to fit any of the sections though. It's mainly told through Youtube (it's not just me sitting down playing the game), crude photoshops and a twitter account.

Hi Chris, thankyou for asking and not just posting in this part of the forum. Here is the link to the best place to post your youtube story

Football Manager Fansites and Community Links

Its on the front main page about half way down mate

If you do however wish to do a write up of the story feel free to post it here

After the horrific events of Friday night, tonight's England-France game has reaffirmed my faith in football and humanity. Everyone involved handled the occasion with complete dignity, refusing to be beaten by the very small minority who try to disrupt our way of life.

The match itself was quite refreshing. It wasn't exactly played at a quick pace throughout, but both teams played the game as it ought to be played without going over the top with their tackling. I was also pleased to see a good performance from England, and in particular Dele Alli, who already looks such a well-rounded midfielder at a very young age. He could be a vital part of our national team for many years to come.

In terms of those who carried out Friday's attacks, I like Mark have had to bite my tongue to avoid saying anything that might earn me infractions. I will say this, though. Instead of calling them Islamic State (with or without 'so-called' prefix), ISIS, ISIL, Daesh, or whatever, I'd prefer to repeat the words of comedian

(Warning: Link is definitely NSFW).

So, anyone bought FM16 yet? Thoughts?

I've gotten the game (first time in about four years I think), but haven't gotten round to loading up to play it yet. Might try to find some time to play something this weekend.

For once I brought it on the opening date and I must say I am really enjoying it. There's only one thing I don't like about it but that in truth is something that doesn't actually spoil the overall playing of the game. Its more cosmetic for me.

The general playing of the game is really good. This could potentially rival my two favourite FM's which were FM07 and FM08

The big question for me Ben, is are we going to see a BenArsenal story ??

I've not bought FM16 yet, and with my FM13 career still very much alive and kicking, I had no intention of doing so.

That was until I played the demo. It's probably the sleekest and most stable version of FM I've played to date, and although there aren't any ground-breaking new features, it's the little additions that really make it special. Things like allowing your star striker to play on with a protective mask when he's suffered a facial injury that would've put him out for two weeks in previous FMs.

I've spent the last week playing half a season with Fulham, and my emotions have been up and down like a heroin addict on a rollercoaster. Under my management, Fulham have gone from being nigh on unbeatable to being utterly hopeless.

We were among the Championship's top scorers (Moussa Dembélé led the way with 14 in all comps), but our defensive record was a shambles. It didn't help that I completely p***ed off some of my players when I dropped Nikolay Bodurov and Richard Stearman due to their woeful form. :mad:

More positively, we got all the way to Round 4 of the League Cup, where Chelsea promptly did a 'Fifty Shades Of Grey' on us and spanked us 6-0. We then went 5-1 down to MK Dons before pulling it back to 5-4, and my final match in charge was a 5-3 spanking by Derby.

Fulham were 18th in the table when the demo told me, "That's your lot". Quite frankly, I was lucky not to have been sacked by then. I made Felix Magath look like Helenio Herrera.

So, will I buy FM16? That probably depends on whether the new EEE expansion comes out. I quite fancy taking Romford up the leagues again. If I do, hopefully, we'll go further than the Conference - and no, I won't be writing another Romford story for FMS. Maybe I'll even start with another team from even further down... in the Essex Senior League. :p

The big question for me Ben, is are we going to see a BenArsenal story ??

Offy asked me that too when I went on his podcast (which seems to have gone missing. *cough cough*). I told him that I might look into getting back into writing if time permits.

Would really like to get a story going on here again. Here's hoping.

I'm in a bit of a quandry. I have two FM15 stories which I love writing and I want to get into FM16 because of some of the new features which could make for some really good in-game writing situations. I don't have time for three pieces at the same time.

I don't want to stop writing Malone and positively will not stop writing Kyle Cain. Perhaps a 30-hour day would help.

Oh, and there's Rob Ridgway, so I guess I really DO have time for three ... did I say four?

I don't feel like I've exhausted FM15 yet, but I'll probably get FM16 at some point. If not for Christmas then in the New Year when the price drops. Haven't really played any version of FM lately, which is most unusual.

• 2 weeks later...

I treated myself to FM 16 the day after its release, and I'm glad I did. It actually runs better on my laptop than FM 15 does, which surprised me a little. I'm enjoying the new features; the Prozone analysis is pretty cool.

I noticed something else, too. The captains' arm bands are visible during the game! Is this new, or were they there before, and I simply didn't notice it?

One of my Luxembourgish goalkeepers appears to wear a Petr Cech-style headgear, too. I'm tempted to play him more just so I can see if he keeps wearing it. :)

My FM 16 arrived last weekend. I can't resist writing about it. When I finally wrap up one of my FM15 seasons I'll start posting. I wound up with the chance to manage a team that was too good to pass up, at least for me. I like the 'leagues at a glance' screen, which saves me a lot of searching.

Still have never managed a national team at any level in 14 years of playing this series, though. Sort of the final frontier.

My FM 16 arrived last weekend. I can't resist writing about it. When I finally wrap up one of my FM15 seasons I'll start posting. I wound up with the chance to manage a team that was too good to pass up, at least for me. I like the 'leagues at a glance' screen, which saves me a lot of searching.

Still have never managed a national team at any level in 14 years of playing this series, though. Sort of the final frontier.

I think it would be rude of you not to try and manage USA....in fact I reckon most of us would demand it of our fearless leader :D

I think it would be rude of you not to try and manage USA....in fact I reckon most of us would demand it of our fearless leader :D

You know, that's interesting. I have thought about just that thing, but the one rule I've had is I want my managers to be offered international jobs rather than simply taking them. To date, since I have played mostly lower leagues in my saves, the only manager who was ever offered an international job was Rob Ridgway and Reading was too complex a job for him to take another position.

I also personally want to manage England before the USA. And THAT is weird.

You know, that's interesting. I have thought about just that thing, but the one rule I've had is I want my managers to be offered international jobs rather than simply taking them. To date, since I have played mostly lower leagues in my saves, the only manager who was ever offered an international job was Rob Ridgway and Reading was too complex a job for him to take another position.

I also personally want to manage England before the USA. And THAT is weird.

I'd say its more like being Mad to want to take on the England job :D

So, Phil Neville has been in caretaker charge at Valencia... and now Valencia have appointed Gary Neville as head coach until the end of the season!

This is very interesting, I must say. I can't imagine Gary will be doing any more punditry for Sky Sports, now, but I don't think it'll affect his England duties. Indeed, going to Valencia might give him some invaluable managerial experience before, I suspect, he is lined up to replace Roy Hodgson as England manager after the Euros.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I haven't opened my FM16 box yet...:eek:

And blimey, the Nevilles at Valencia? I suspect this is down to the Peter Lim connection more than anything (he invested in the Class of 92's hotel in Manchester too), but it will be interesting to see how the brothers get on in Spain.

I bet Mourinho wishes he could rage-quit real football as easily as he could Football Manager. :lol:

I can't see him staying at Chelsea for much longer, and I actually feel that the club would be better off with a new manager. The players just don't want to play for this power-mad egomaniac anymore.

And once again, Mourinho refuses to take the blame for a dreadful result, accusing the referee of making a big mistake and Bournemouth of unfair play. As usual, the media will lap that up and make him the centre of attention when it should be the Cherries.

The sooner he leaves this country, the better. Even as a Gooner, I really hope Chelsea sack Mourinho and bring back Ancelotti - at least they were successful, entertaining and likeable under him.

In his first stint I must admit I really liked him, he was a breath of fresh air in the Premiership. However this second stint of his has changed my opinion of him. He seems like a spoilt little brat that has spat his dummy out.

Archived