While I thought it would be extremely unlikely for him to get sacked this season, if United get knocked out after this draw, and then stutter in the league again, I can see him getting the boot before the season is even over.

< withholding comment >

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what the record for the quickest relegation from a league is. Last night Droylsden were relegated from the Evo-Stik Premier Division with only 3 points to their name thus far (3 draws). They was relegated from the Blue Square North last season and are currently in lots of financial trouble. Sad to see a club fall so quickly.

It's a sad day for the club really, I feel sorry for the real fans of the club who are there, I'm separated by a couple thousand miles of water so don't see it all and have that buffer.

From what I hear the club debt is getting paid off and they are not in an real danger financially, unless Dave Pace pulls the pin on the club, the biggest problem is that there is a divide between him and the club's fan's at the moment at the end of the day though if Dave was to pull up stumps the club would most likely fold, they get an average of 130-150 fans to games and near always have, even when they were in the BSP a few years ago they only just managed to crack 2-300.

I guess we will see what happens.

< withholding comment >

I don't think the rant I could unload would survive banning from the mods...I will restrain myself until Ian Dowie gets hired at Man United...Unless, of course, the Glazers decide to hire Stuart Pearce instead of Dowie. (implied rant over)

I don't think the rant I could unload would survive banning from the mods...I will restrain myself until Ian Dowie gets hired at Man United...Unless, of course, the Glazers decide to hire Stuart Pearce instead of Dowie. (implied rant over)

Well, being as I'm a mod, I'd take past service into consideration :p

But a truly dire effort from United, the only away club not to win or draw in this round's first leg.

I appreciate the free pass on losing my sanity and common decency when discussing what Moyes and his coaching staff have done at United. But, I'm going to try to keep it suitable for all audiences.

If there is one thing that I've learned in Football Manager, it's that you can't ask players to do things well if they don't have the right training to do it. I've taken over countless teams and if I change the tactics and the attitude too much too soon, then I tend to fail at it. Tweeking the tactics, not to be confused with Miley Cyrus' twerking, works best. In my opinion, Moyes has changed too many things too soon. Essentially, Sir Alex believed in attacking football and using the wings to do the job most effectively. Well, he had the players to support it. When he didn't, Sir Alex had a different way of playing attacking soccer. When I watch Moyes, it seems like he is trying to stop other teams from scoring as his first priority. That, to me, is a fundamental difference. It is the mentality that he had at Everton. It appears that he is attempting to bring it here too.

Asking Man Utd's defense to stop other teams and park the bus isn't what they are designed to do as individuals. One has to look at what comes most naturally for the players individually in order to get it all to work together as a team. Van Persie and Rooney are considered by many to be the most talented players on United's squad. Fine, then how many chances are they given to work their magic within areas of the field where they can be most effective? 3-6 per match? That is not enough. What is the problem in getting them the ball? Cleverley loves passing backwards or laterally. Fellaini isn't much better. Fletcher is better at attacking, penetrative passing, but he's too slow in doing it so the advantage gets lost. Carrick is better than Fletcher, but again, he's more predictable than Kagawa and Mata. So, where does Moyes put these creative, penetrative passing players? On the wings? It's ineffective because neither one has the pace to beat their defenders on the outside.

What is needed is outside players willing to dribble at defenders to create the isolation required for the supporting defenders to slide over in support of their teammates. Then, the strikers, Rooney and Van Persie, become open and lethally dangerous. But, that strategy is ineffective against teams willing to park the bus. For that, the attacks need to come central on the pitch and narrow in width, thus it requires Mata and Kagawa in supportive roles of Rooney and RvP because the passing needs to be crisp, unpredictable, and short.

It appears that Moyes has one way of playing tactically and if it changes during the match, he doesn't have an effective plan B because he only has reinforcements on the bench for plan A.

Now, if Moyes wants to alter the squad significantly, then keep losing. The people will flee. New players can come in and United can become closer to men in Moyes' image a whole lot faster, but they'll be a 2nd tier club of wannabes instead of champions. If the Glazers are satisfied with that, then maybe they should buy into the Board at Arsenal or better yet, Tottenham. Oh wait, the fans at Arsenal are sick of 2nd tier, trophy-less, but financially secure football too...kudos to them!

When I watched the match a week plus ago, I was ecstatic that the Arsenal supporters had the courage to boo their team for a draw when the team became content to pass the ball laterally during injury-time after peppering Man United for the final ten+ minutes of the match. Now, it's my duty to boo the things that I see at Man Utd before they become entrenched in the culture of the club.

If Man Utd want to make the most money, then go ahead and state that as your ambition. Don't couch it in lies.

As my wife has said, Moyes is single-handedly destroying one of the most recognized sports franchises on the entire planet and the Glazers don't seem to give a damn about it. That is the saddest of all. They don't recognize it and they aren't willing to fight for it.

At least the US owners at Liverpool get it.

Who to bring in at United? If it needed to be Germany, I'd take Jurgen Klopp (but I doubt he'll come). If it were Spain, I'd choose Diego Simeone at Athletico Madrid (again, I don't think he'd come), and if it had to be someone from the UK, then, believe it or not, I don't even know who I'd go with (Roberto DiMatteo? Chris Hughton?) at this time. It's just so darned depressing.

I just keep wondering what I'm missing behind-the-scenes to explain the collapse at United once Moyes and staff took over.

For my money, the issue with Moyes is well documented -- a near total lack of imagination in attack with players playing out of position to top it off (look at the right back situation at the present moment).

He's also gone out and spent 30 million pounds to buy a second number 10 and then signed the one he already had to a contract worth 300,000 a week. There's a significant problem in central midfield and if you put Vidic and Ferdinand out there together right now you'd deserve everything you get.

Against Olympiakos, it looked to me like United was trying to play a countering game. All well and good while playing on the road in Europe, but you need pace to do that and I sure didn't see anything like a sense of urgency either on or off the ball when United had it for far too much of that game. RVP's comments were telling -- there are teammates playing where I want to play -- and that tells me there's a significant organizational problem that has to be dealt with too.

Urgency is a direct function of self-belief and commitment. Both seemed sadly lacking in Greece. These are professional players, many of whom won the title just one season ago. Have they suddenly all turned into a shower of crap?

And more importantly, when Moyes' two main purchases were for Fellaini and Mata, one who has been invisible and the other of whom is being played out of position, should he really get a war chest of 100 million to spend this summer when those are the kinds of buys he makes?

Oh well. The horse is dead so I suppose I should stop beating it.

I'm in full agreement that the Moyes issue is a dead horse. My wife is trolling for Anti-Glazer apparel. But, she's tapped out from purchasing a Vidic replica for posterity. Considering, the past four seasons she's picked up Rooney, Evra, Giggs, and Vidic, you can see she's fully depressed about life at United next season.

Well, I'm so bitter about life at Man Utd that I decided to purchase a download of FM14 because I have to figure out a way to do better than Moyes with the boys. Eventually, in the future, it might mean some new stories on 14 instead of on FM 08. Though, I do have high hopes to finish the ones I've started.

I hate to bring up United again, but their current situation is really bringing up some interesting stuff....

I notice the Guardian is reporting this at the moment: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/feb/28/manchester-united-lucrative-friendlies-champions-league-europa-league

What do people think? Firstly, United are probably one of the few clubs in the world that could even contemplate doing something like this. However, while it might help to fill in some of the financial blanks, it sounds like a sure-fire way to tire out an already limited squad with pointless matches, that ultimately will do very little to assist the club to get back into the Champions League. If I were Moyes, I would put my foot down and say "no freaking way" if United failed to qualify for Europe this season.

Final update for fm2014 has now been released, might have to have start another season or two.

Strangely enough, I'm thinking that too. It might be time for a shortish story though, as I'm not done with my career save on FM13 (see The Journeyman Chronicles for details)

If I were Moyes, I would put my foot down and say "no freaking way" if United failed to qualify for Europe this season.

If I were Moyes, next season I'd shift my Barcalounger a bit in my den so I could see the television screen better. :p

I must say it has been a good weekend for United fans....We didnt lose hahahaha

Matlock won despite going down to ten men with a very very didgy call by the ref

As for Pardew...he's going to get handed a new one especially that he has already been in trouble for pushing an assistant ref...Wonder how much of a ban he'll be getting

I love Alan Pardew, he's so far angry it's unreal.

Alas, I shall be away for around a week now as I am moving house, internet is not active until the 10th either. tenthree will look after you and nurture you, and if he isn't around, mark wilson is in charge of the kids.

Alas, I shall be away for around a week now as I am moving house, internet is not active until the 10th either. tenthree will look after you and nurture you, and if he isn't around, mark wilson is in charge of the kids.

Moving to Belfast to be with Terk? :p

EDIT: Ooh, I'm on 8,888 posts. Nice. :D

Once upon time there was a Mod called Gav who left for Dublin to move in with an former Mod called Terk. They set up house together in a back water town called dungeonville.

After about a week they got the internet up and working and started a web site called dungeondominatatrix.com. Where viewers have to pay £1.50 per minute for the webcam shows.

It doesnt end well as they both get stuck in chains after some kinky play. We'll have to wait till after the 10th March to see how it ends......

Once upon time there was a Mod called Gav who left for Dublin to move in with an former Mod called Terk. They set up house together in a back water town called dungeonville.

After about a week they got the internet up and working and started a web site called dungeondominatatrix.com. Where viewers have to pay £1.50 per minute for the webcam shows.

It doesnt end well as they both get stuck in chains after some kinky play. We'll have to wait till after the 10th March to see how it ends......

If Salk doesn't have nightmares after a bedtime story like that, he should probably be checked into an institution...

I started a 'for kicks' FM 13 game the other day while I hopefully end this whole unemployed thing. Hayes and Yeading.

That's harder than trying to find a job, FFS. No transfer budget, four pre-season injuries and nobody will come on loan. In short, a typical LLM experience. :(

But I liked the video!

Mark, your link is much appreciated.

Truly, there are clubs I hate in real life through no fault of their own. I've never even seen them play. I just "know" them from FM and hate them. Whether they stole a result from me that I dearly wanted (Athletico Madrid or AFC Telford) or managing for them was awful because the ownership wouldn't part with any money to buy players, improve training facilities, etc. (Chester and Hereford).

Sorry to deviate for bit, but my thoughts and prayers goes out to all involved in the Malaysian Airlines crash. As a frequent flyer it's just a bit too close to home for me.

Have they found the plane yet? Truly horrible situation, and my thoughts are with them too.

Well, for the first time since CM 01-02, I've outright deleted a save. That Hayes save was unquestionably the least fun I have ever had playing any version of this game. So I'll try again.

I hear you. :( LLM is not for me, but kudos to those who seem to enjoy that way, they have my respect alongside my thinking that they are mad. It's very, very tough and I like to have at least some options on making a difference or improving a club's lot!!

I get that it's supposed to be tough. I don't have a problem with that. But when there is no legitimate way to improve your team, your board says they can't find the funds for a trialist game and BSP clubs say they want their loan players to play at a higher level, that makes it no fun for me. I need a path to improvement for my team if I'm going to have fun.

I don't mind losing as long as it serves a purpose, and I'm good enough at the game to be able to keep my job (H&Y was ninth in the table about a third of the way through the schedule when I stopped playing). But it's no fun watching the same group of players cough up late leads and/or lose in the same way week after week.

It's probably my tactics :)

Exactly.

I like to have some influence on improving things on a computer game. :(

I'm sure there is a way (others have done it), but as a non-tactical kind of player, I rely on wheeling and dealing transfers to improve things. LLM is not for me.

Congrats Bal, and 10-3, it's your tactics.

Meanwhile, and apropos of nothing

It's my youngest's fifth birthday today which reminds me of a wonderful day five years ago.......

6am - My son is born, safe and well. Joy and relief all round. Having been up all night I go fro a rest whilst mother & son get looked after in hospital. I get up in time for......

Lunchtime - Liverpool beat Man Utd 4-1 at Old Trafford. Dossena scores ! Joy is unbounded at this point.

Evening - My best mate, who is a Man Utd fan buys me beer to wet the baby's head. A small amount of ribbing of my mate may well have gone on.

That was some day. I may be able to do two out of these three things again on Sunday, wouldn't that be nice.

So, I got married over the weekend. Been super hectic in the leadup and also in the aftermath, but generally a very happy camper! :D

Just about enough to soothe the pain of Arsenal generally being rubbish recently... :p

Well! You've kept that quiet! :D

Congratulations mate. I wish you many years of wedded bliss ahead.

It's my youngest's fifth birthday today which reminds me of a wonderful day five years ago.......

6am - My son is born, safe and well. Joy and relief all round. Having been up all night I go fro a rest whilst mother & son get looked after in hospital. I get up in time for......

Lunchtime - Liverpool beat Man Utd 4-1 at Old Trafford. Dossena scores ! Joy is unbounded at this point.

Evening - My best mate, who is a Man Utd fan buys me beer to wet the baby's head. A small amount of ribbing of my mate may well have gone on.

That was some day. I may be able to do two out of these three things again on Sunday, wouldn't that be nice.

And on the day of my son's fifth birthday party Liverpool beat United again, 3-0 at Old Trafford, now where's my mate to share this with ??????

And on the day of my son's fifth birthday party Liverpool beat United again, 3-0 at Old Trafford, now where's my mate to share this with ??????

he's not responding to my texts ?? what could be the matter ??????

Any other year I would be absolutely delighted to beat United never mind 3-0 at Old Trafford. This year it just feels like a normal win against any other team. United predictably very poor and it wasn't really a contest. Moyes really has done something special at United. How you can go from walking the league last year to looking so poor this season is beyond me. I actually expected us to hammer United today that is how much things have changed.

Congrats Bal, and 10-3, it's your tactics.

Weirdly enough I was at the game that day in '09 supporting neither team but was with a scouse mate sat with them and ever since was always convinced it was on my birthday (15/03). We'd just come back from Kuwait after nicking out of Iraq for Telic 13. I'll wind my neck in in future saying it was on my birthday after your post. Seems like it was day before. Must have been a long weekend killing brain cells. :(

Credit Liverpool for a match well played but let's be honest. If Manchester United will accept such a pathetic effort at home against their arch-rivals, then they will accept anything. Moyes out.

Liverpool were by far the better side and all credit to the Scouse Bast£$rds (sorry couldnt resist doing that). It was embaressing to watch and some of the players looked very average...Rafael was very poor and Im not just saying that because of the penalty, Moyes looks very out of his depth in truth. United wont sack him because as a club thats not our philosophy however I agree with Tenthree. If we dont qualify for European football next season he will need to go. It must be something to do with the players not wanting to play for him or something because barring Mata and the Belgium haircut the squad is the same.

I'll give Moyes credit for giving Januzaj first team football as it did seem that SAF wasnt going to but thats the only shining light I can see in a pathetic attempt for a season. I know it was going to be a difficult transition season but the way we are playing is just not good enough.

Archived