He does very well from a business sense, but from a sporting sense, I'm not so sure.

I wonder where we go from here. I really hope we don't appoint Benitez and I'm not that impressed with Pocchetino either. With Van Gaal probably going to United, I'm hoping for De Boer.

being a keen follower of Ajax, I hope its not him, but if it is, he'll do very well I think.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me Pocchetino is untested at this level, but then so were Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool and Roberto Martinez at Everton, everyone is untested when they start at this level. Give him a chance and I think he'll make Spurs fly. For that reason I hope Spurs do pick Benitez !

Winners: Germany

Runner Ups: Argentina

Third: Brazil

Fourth: Portgual

Top Scorer: Cristiano Ronaldo

Edit: Hmm, just worked out that my idea isnt physically possible. will have to have another look

Dat FA Cup Final!

At kick-off: "We need to start well, control the game, and we can win easily."

After 3 minutes: "Oh hell, pretty much the last thing we needed."

After 10 minutes: "******, I hate football. And life."

After 15 minutes: "If we don't pull at least 1 goal back before half-time, we will lose."

After 18 minutes: "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

After 45 minutes: "Better, but not really creating much."

After 50 minutes: "Still not creating much, need a goal soon or we could be in trouble. Time to substitute Wenger!"

After 60 minutes: "If this goes on much longer, we're going to lose. ARrrrrrrrrGH!" mixed with "FU REF, CLEAR PENALTY!!" followed by "At this rate, the luck is against us, we're going to lose!"

After 72 minutes: "SSD:FLKSJD:OFIU: WE:LDKSFJ:LSKD FJ:LKSDFJ YEEEEESS WE'RE BACK IN IT!!!"

After 80 minutes: "We should win this, we should win this, we should win this. Please win this!"

After 90 minutes: "It's okay, still have momentum, still have substitutes."

After 100 minutes: "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGH, WHY!?" (when Grioud hit the bar).

After 105 minutes: "We have to win. If this goes to penalties, we're going to lose."

After 109 minutes: "I LOVE YOU GRIOUD, I LOVE YOU RAMSEY, WE'RE ACTUALLY GOING TO WIN!!!!!"

After 115 minutes: "Don't do anything stupid. Don't do anything stupid. Don't do anything stupid." followed by *heart attack* (when Fabianski came off his line and got nothing after Mert slipped).

After 120 minutes: "TROPHY TIME, BABY!"

I love football. I love Arsenal. But crap, I don't know if my heart can take it!

Ah, The Cup Final,

Now that was football. That was cup football at it's best.

Excellent game, first one I've watched in a while that as a neutral I really enjoyed.

Well done Arsenal, good luck in Europe next year Hull.

I was in Zurich Airport when I read the news about Arsenal winning the FA Cup. Gotta admit I shed a tear slightly there.

World Cup predictions:

Winner: Brazil

Runner up: Spain

3rd: Argentina

4th: Germany

Top Scorer: Whoever Brazil's main striker is

If any of you rabble want an extra player in my sign up game just PM me with the players name nationality (remember I'm on FM07)......and position. As some of you treachious lot are looking for a move already

Me! Me!

Ciaran Clarke - DR. Rep of Ireland if possible.

Which incidentally is the position I'll be playing on the pitch at the American Express Community Stadium next Wednesday. Oh how I wish it was it my heydey and not just a charity match, but I will enjoy the experience none the less.

Nice one Mistahc!

Gutted for Derby today. Had the win snatched from them by QPR. Nobody likes to see Joey Barton win things...

Thanks Ben.

I'm gutted too as if they didn't win they would have been heavily punished for breaking FFP rules. The enforcement of which has been a joke.

Apropos of nothing... and as if anyone cares, but... I can now go back to Celtic Park for a football match.

I vowed, about 4 years ago, that if Neil Lennon got the managers job on a permanant basis I wouldn't return for a match until he was gone.

I'm delighted he has taken himself off elsewhere and hope that we can now get a proper manager in place. One that gives the impression that he knows what he's doing. Not one with limited experience who is tactically naive.

In an ideal world I'd like David Moyes but I suspect he'd be too expensive. Don't want Henrik unless it's as No2 to someone more experienced. Really don't want Owen Coyle otherwise I'd have further exile myself until he's gone as well.

/interesting time to be a tim

Apropos of nothing... and as if anyone cares, but... I can now go back to Celtic Park for a football match.

I vowed, about 4 years ago, that if Neil Lennon got the managers job on a permanant basis I wouldn't return for a match until he was gone.

I'm delighted he has taken himself off elsewhere and hope that we can now get a proper manager in place. One that gives the impression that he knows what he's doing. Not one with limited experience who is tactically naive.

In an ideal world I'd like David Moyes but I suspect he'd be too expensive. Don't want Henrik unless it's as No2 to someone more experienced. Really don't want Owen Coyle otherwise I'd have further exile myself until he's gone as well.

/interesting time to be a tim

With the dwindling crowds at Celtic Park these days, it doesn't seem to just be yourself thats exiled. I never really got the impression Lennon knew what he was doing overall. But domestically Celtic really don't need to be 100% to win the league, even true when Rangers were there too. Moyes would be a good call, but I think there are bigger leagues to interest him, he'll have another go in the EPL I think. Coyle is a definite no for me too, never liked him as a player, especially at Dunfermline (sorry parsfan...the Millenium Derby still sums him up for me.) and Malkay Mackay could be a good shout. I saw Roy Keane linked as well this weekend. Need to move away from Martin O'Neill prodigies I think. I agree with you on Larsson too, give him the number 2 job for a year or two first.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, just realised I didn't offer any predictions for the World Cup! To be honest, I'm surprisingly un-hyped for the tournament this year. Maybe because Arsenal finally won something, I'm so intently focused on getting any transfer news from the club that's been taking my attention...

Anyway,

World Cup predictions:

Winner: Argentina

Runner up: Brazil

3rd: Germany

4th: Netherlands

Top Scorer: Messi

Reasoning: I think given the conditions, the European teams will struggle. Familiarity to give Brazil and Argentina a big advantage here, and I expect one of them to win it. (As an aside, I haven't checked to see if my possible finishes for 1-4 is even possible, lol).

I think Spain will flop this tournament. Their high-tempo pressing style isn't great in hot, humid conditions, and to be honest, I feel that their style is starting to get figured out. Netherlands and Germany to be my picks for strong performers amongst the Europeans. Outsiders? Uraguay for a South American team, England for a European team (I get the sense England will either perform well above expectations and stun people, or perform pretty much exactly to expectations, and get crushed in the group stage).

Just gathering my thoughts after learning of Chester FC's reprieve in the Conference following Hereford's expulsion. Whilst it's undoubtedly great news for Chester it's very sad news if you are a Hereford fan and I for one would have been much happier if my beloved Chester had done the business on the pitch during the season and avoided ending up in the relegation spots.

But the future is not all dark for Hereford. I'm not up to speed on the ins and outs of Hereford's financial woes, but it does seem mightily reminiscent of Chester FC's own history as a phoenix club rising from the ashes of Chester City FC. Our (new) history shows it can be done, and if we can do it then you, Hereford, can do it too. Build a new club, a new history, a new belief.

Good luck to all Hereford fans, it's not over, not by a long chalk.

No Ben, It's not, but it's a fairly widely held view amongst Chester fans so it's not entirely surprising that you see these views, written a bit better than mine, it has to be said, elsewhere.

No Ben, It's not, but it's a fairly widely held view amongst Chester fans so it's not entirely surprising that you see these views, written a bit better than mine, it has to be said, elsewhere.

Ah.

It just looked a bit coincidental, that's all.

Judging by the reaction from most of my fellow Gooner friends, it seems like I'm the only rational one here with regards to the Fabregas transfer.

I mean, Barca didn't want him, and Arsenal didn't want him. What was he supposed to do? Put in that spot I genuinely wouldn't know. Cesc himself stated that his first choice was to rejoin Arsenal but it was not meant to be. And the only bids for him as I understand were from our Premier League rivals.

And Sagna has just joined Man City. Well.

He's not the player Arsenal need at the minute so I can see why they didn't go for him. Still any past comments about Chelsea and always being a Gunner by Fabregas look a tad awkward now. Good move for him though and with Costa coming Chelseas team is looking a bit scary next season. Do got to wonder how it will affect Financial Fair Play though if it ever does get seriously imposed.

What a start to the World Cup it has been. Officials very poor for the first few games. I feel very sorry for Croatia they deserved at least a draw. Do not understand how it has been said that Brazil's defense is stronger than their attack this year because they look hopeless at the back. That being said Spain looked as worse as I've ever seen them today. Thought it was more of a Spanish implosion than the Dutch being that good though they did score a couple of really good goals. It might be just what the Spanish need though so I wouldn't rule them out of winning it yet.

He's not the player Arsenal need at the minute so I can see why they didn't go for him. Still any past comments about Chelsea and always being a Gunner by Fabregas look a tad awkward now. Good move for him though and with Costa coming Chelseas team is looking a bit scary next season. Do got to wonder how it will affect Financial Fair Play though if it ever does get seriously imposed.

What a start to the World Cup it has been. Officials very poor for the first few games. I feel very sorry for Croatia they deserved at least a draw. Do not understand how it has been said that Brazil's defense is stronger than their attack this year because they look hopeless at the back. That being said Spain looked as worse as I've ever seen them today. Thought it was more of a Spanish implosion than the Dutch being that good though they did score a couple of really good goals. It might be just what the Spanish need though so I wouldn't rule them out of winning it yet.

Pretty much this in regards to the Fabregas transfer. I'll be honest, if Arsenal had said that we wanted him back, I think he would have jumped at the chance and would have chosen us over going to Chelsea, even if there was more money. However, he's been crucified at Barca so staying was not an ideal situation for him, and I think the reality was that only Chelsea were offering anything in England (although, to be honest I didn't hear much about offers from elsewhere either), and he clearly wanted to come back to England, where at least he was comfortable with the league. Subsequently, I don't hate him for choosing Chelsea, but because I hate Chelsea, and particularly their arrogant twerp of a manager, this transfer does make me a little sick.

But, the reality is an attacking midfielder is not Arsenal's priority this summer. If this had been one year earlier, I think Fabregas would be coming back and no Ozil. Even though Arsenal's finances are a lot better now, we still can't afford to stockpile players. Fabregas returning would then stall the development of one of Ox/Ramsey/Wilshere. I'll be honest, it was rotten timing, because this summer, Arsenal simply couldn't afford to spend 30m to bring him back. That said, Wenger better be out there planning to spend his budget to strength the team properly. First and foremost, a world-class striker (please be Alexis Sanchez, assuming the rumours Barca want to sell him are also true). A right-back and/or central defender, a goalkeeper, and a defensive midfielder. If he fills those positions (or doesn't even achieve that) and still has money left over, fans are going to question why the heck we then couldn't find room to bring Cesc back.

As for the World Cup, haven't watched a lot except for Australia's opening match against Chile. Terrible start by Australia, but I was actually really impressed. Very low expectations, as the team is very young and inexperienced, but they leveraged their strengths well (pace on the wings, Cahill's ability in the air) quite well and could have deservedly equalised. Chile too strong in the end. Thought the quality of the game was very good, entertaining end-to-end stuff, both teams with chances, goals, and no major issues with the ref.

Not really. He can't sign for Arsenal if they don't take up the option to sign him. He can only sign for teams that make offers. Doesn't make him any less a Gunner.

My thoughts exactly, people just being stupid reading into that as being whatever they assume it to be. He would have gone back, but they made the choice for him. Why should he then not join an exciting team anywhere else? Chelsea just happen to be one of those. Impetuous and stupid comments calling him on his previous quotes are moronic.

Kowalski, would love to know what you think of Celtic's new manager? I like the guy, heard good things about him.

Hi, everyone!

I know I haven't posted here for quite some time. I've been focused on writing a novel, and haven't been able to find time to continue the stories of 5m1w. That, along with two (yep, two) laptop crashes and rebuilds have slowed it down even more. But, I do have a stack of notes and saved games to work from, and I do hope to return to the storylines over the summer. Still, I started 5m1w largely as a way to work on characters and dialog and scenes in preparation for the novel, so I guess that was a success! Seriously, if the novel ever sees the light of day, FMS will be in the acknowledgements! :>

I'm writing now for a different reason. For about 18 months now, a close friend of mine and I have been working on a tabletop football game, and it has finally emerged into a Kickstarter campaign, (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cqgames/futbol-strategy). I thought some folks here might be interested. The game is fun, pretty easy to learn, and plays in about 45 minutes.

I hope this isn't overly commercial to share here. I almost didn't post anything, but we're both really trying to spread the word about the game--my friend's game company is well respected in the tabletop gaming world, but we're struggling some to get the word out with sports simulation enthusiasts--and I honestly think some of the folks here would enjoy it.

My thoughts exactly, people just being stupid reading into that as being whatever they assume it to be. He would have gone back, but they made the choice for him. Why should he then not join an exciting team anywhere else? Chelsea just happen to be one of those. Impetuous and stupid comments calling him on his previous quotes are moronic.

Kowalski, would love to know what you think of Celtic's new manager? I like the guy, heard good things about him.

I wrote a big reply and got a forbidden message when I tried to post. Not writing it again. Suffice to say I'm happy. Much happier than I would have been with Keane, Coyle or Larsson.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question, but do you need some sort of administrator approval when starting a new thread on this forum?

I tried to post my first story yesterday, but a message showed up when I clicked "Submit New Thread" and my story did not appear.

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question, but do you need some sort of administrator approval when starting a new thread on this forum?

I tried to post my first story yesterday, but a message showed up when I clicked "Submit New Thread" and my story did not appear.

Hey, yeah you do. Its normally done when one of the moderators come on. Won't take too long. Look forward to seeing it

Hey, yeah you do. Its normally done when one of the moderators come on. Won't take too long. Look forward to seeing it

Thanks for the reply, Gary. Enjoying your Raith story so far.

Still looking for some new players for the sign up. The squad is getting abit thin, I have used some names from previous sign ups.

PM me with the players name, position and nationality (Remember Im on FM07 so some obscure nations might not be available

Another newbie question. When I try to submit, or even preview, a particularly long post, I end up with this message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.

Could this be to do with how long my post is? Should I try to break it down into smaller posts?

Im really not sure on that one, it could be that the forum is having a silly moment. I cant see it being down to how long the post is (I might be wrong), as some posts we have had on here have been quite large.

If it happens again might be best to go to the technical part of the forum and ask one of the guys there

Im really not sure on that one, it could be that the forum is having a silly moment. I cant see it being down to how long the post is (I might be wrong), as some posts we have had on here have been quite large.

If it happens again might be best to go to the technical part of the forum and ask one of the guys there

It's still happening. I don't know where exactly I should be asking for help on this, so can anyone point me in the right direction?

It's still happening. I don't know where exactly I should be asking for help on this, so can anyone point me in the right direction?

I've had a look in the forums and if you contact Lucas Weatherby he should be able to help with forum issues

As for Suarez I've heard on a few sites that he could get up to a two year International ban due to this being his third offence. I personally don't think Liverpool will get rid though

A two-year ban is about right in my opinion, though I highly doubt that FIFA will ban him for that long if at all.

As you've alluded to, Mark, he has already done this twice before, and FIFA needs to send out a clear message that this sort of violent behaviour cannot be allowed - certainly not at a World Cup.

Would that ban be in place in time for the rest of the World Cup?

Why don't the refs take more action? They can clearly see the bite mark on the player's shoulder/arm/neck, and it isn't hard to see who would have done it, as Suarez is sat on the floor holding his teeth!

Archived