I might be one of the hysterics, I don't really know. But, I'll weigh in on the discussion anyway.

The fact that the New York City football team can buy players before they are able to play games seems strange to me. I don't know if they were also drafting players before this MLS season began. Maybe it is different because of the designated player rules?

I also am fascinated by Wenger's comments regarding skirting FFP rules. Man City was already found guilty of trying to skirt them with some of their sponsorship endorsements being excessively high. One could argue that Adidas' new deal with Man Utd might fit same criteria of being excessive, but I don't believe that the Glazers are significantly intertwined with the sponsors in ways that the Dubai ownership at City was with their sponsor, thus making the deal in violation with FFP.

I know that affiliated clubs are a part of life with the English Leagues. I know that some of them are better than others. I know some are established to skirt rules with European Citizenship, etc. However, the globalization of football has made it easier for owners from other countries to create affiliations with teams from other leagues. The example to which I'm referring is Watford a season or two ago being lent players from the same ownership group, but foreign leagues. So, the Dubai group can buy players from all over the world, loan them out to whatever team needs them most in the moment (i.e. Lampards Homegrown status to aid their European Campaign), and also have their wages off their books to comply with FFP.

Lastly, I'm fascinated to see what FFP will do for clubs like Southampton and other clubs who cannot build the revenue streams fast enough to support their players' development and increased wages. If Man Utd are concerned that failing to qualify for Champions League this season will be financially catastrophic to the club (and that is only after two seasons), then surely teams like Southampton (double promotion in consecutive seasons recently), Swansea City (double promotions a few seasons ago), and Crystal Palace (double promotions over a few seasons) will never get the chance to capitalize on the increasing revenue streams fast enough should they push forward and get into European competitions to build their global brand because the big sponsorship deals the big teams have are over many, many seasons. (I realize that I might have the facts wrong about how fast Southampton, Swansea, and Crystal Palace made it to the Premiership. I might also be confusing Swansea with Cardiff too. I hope someone can straighten me out.)

Regarding Lukaku...I'm baffled that Jose feels that Drogba can offer the team more even as a 3rd choice striker than Lukaku as a 3rd choice striker...

I know that the biggest teams are accused of trying to hoard all the talent. I know the FA has limited the number of players available to (24/25?) for a period of time to try to make things more equal for all teams in response to this hoarding effort. However, I don't understand why teams in England who are participating in 4 competitions (League, League Cup, FA Cup, European Competition) are limited to the same number of players as those who are not participating in some kind of European Competition. Why aren't they allowed more players (or are they allowed to list different players for each competition)? Furthermore, why can't all English teams have a B team that competes in the English leagues if they can afford it? If I'm an Arsenal player, with some of the best facilities and best coaches on the planet to develop youth talent, why do I have to be loaned out to Barnet in order to develop myself? Why can't I just stay at Arsenal and receive all the coaching/medical facilities, etc and still compete in the same league as Barnet? Barnet's medical staff, facilities, and coaching might not be on par with Arsenal's. I know managers get incensed when their senior players get injured during international competitions. Is there a difference? In my opinion, you still have a league club who has invested millions to have the opportunity to develop this talent, but they lack control over how that talent gets developed once they get loaned out to the national teams or to teams in lower leagues and/or other countries.

All I feel like is that I've clouded the picture rather than clarified it.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that the biggest teams are accused of trying to hoard all the talent. I know the FA has limited the number of players available to (24/25?) for a period of time to try to make things more equal for all teams in response to this hoarding effort. However, I don't understand why teams in England who are participating in 4 competitions (League, League Cup, FA Cup, European Competition) are limited to the same number of players as those who are not participating in some kind of European Competition. Why aren't they allowed more players (or are they allowed to list different players for each competition)? Furthermore, why can't all English teams have a B team that competes in the English leagues if they can afford it? If I'm an Arsenal player, with some of the best facilities and best coaches on the planet to develop youth talent, why do I have to be loaned out to Barnet in order to develop myself? Why can't I just stay at Arsenal and receive all the coaching/medical facilities, etc and still compete in the same league as Barnet? Barnet's medical staff, facilities, and coaching might not be on par with Arsenal's. I know managers get incensed when their senior players get injured during international competitions. Is there a difference? In my opinion, you still have a league club who has invested millions to have the opportunity to develop this talent, but they lack control over how that talent gets developed once they get loaned out to the national teams or to teams in lower leagues and/or other countries.

All I feel like is that I've clouded the picture rather than clarified it.

The B-League idea was raised again recently in regards to the ongoing quest for finding more young English talent. I agree with Salk however, if the B-League was introduced, you'd basically be killing off a lot of the small non-league teams, and arguably even some of those at the League 2 level, which would be horrendous to the culture of the game. Just look at Spain, which does have a B-team system in place. The league immediately below the Premia Liga is stocked full of B-teams that have no culture, no real sense of purpose and, as far as I'm aware, draw very little fan attention. I think one of the best things about the game in England is that every local town/area seems to have their own team. Sure, some of them are so small they're unlikely to ever get anywhere in the football pyramid, but it still draws loyal fans and gives local people something to connect with.

I've also heard a lot about the argument that it would be better for young players to stay with their parent club given the clearly superior coaching and facilities that are on offer. I get that this makes sense, and during some stages of the player's development, I think it also makes sense for them to remain in that environment. However, it's also very clear that players learn a lot from simply playing regularly, particularly in regards to the mental aspects of the game - positioning, anticipation, timing runs, organisation on the pitch etc - these develop so much faster when you're in a 'real' game as opposed to training drills or reserve matches that lack a real competitive edge. I think it's very much for this reason that bigger clubs still like to loan out young players when they get to a certain age in order to help their development. Note that it's also only those players who aren't quite developing fast enough to get into the first team straight away that get loaned out; which suggests that for these players, the 'home' environment has taught them all they can (technical skills, preparation etc), and now they need to be placed in a more competitive and challenging environment where it is sink or swim.

I think the B-Team system won't work in England purely because football in the UK is a cultural thing, whereas elsewhere people are more accepting of the fact that sport is also a business.

Look at the uproar that is MK Dons. In other countries such a move would barely raise eyebrows.

I'm really not understanding why official feeder team arrangements are not allowed in the UK. It would let young lads from the bigger teams get games, encourage more people to see lower league football, and allow supporters of the smaller clubs to retain their identity.

Think how good it would be to see youngsters from Liverpool, or Everton, or Man United, or whoever playing for Chester. I know informal arrangements exist but formalise it and you could stick some rules on it, such as at least two of the lads must be EU nationals (cos I don't think you could specify them being English) with a maximum of four players in total, on full season loans to allow the smaller club some certainty.

And (and I'm warming to this now, can you tell) we could have the arrangements made on a season by season basis so Chester would get the benefit of Everton youngsters one year, Bolton Wanderers the next, teams could be matched up in a televised event at the start of each season, it would ensure that the clubs that take this loaning seriously would be spread fairly around the teams over time. A bit Glam and razzmatazz I know, but would this not be worth a go ?

God no, that's a terrible idea, cf2.

I'm all for the throw the kids into the deep end at a lower league club approach. See if they float. If they're good enough, they will.

The problem starts at grassroots not with feeder teams or B-Leagues or what not. There is a real lack of proper coaching at youth level for us to develop the consistent conveyor belt of producing top quality players. Sure we get the odd few every now and again but it's never going to be another to win a major trophy. I've lost count of how many times i've heard academies releasing players because they said they are too small only for that player to then reach a level higher than them. Jamie Vardy is an example of who got released from Sheff Weds academy at a young age, progressed through non league and will be playing in the Premier League for Leicester next season. I've seen plenty of players at non league level or in small 5 a side leagues who could have possibly made it as a footballer if coached properly but why would a club want to do that when they can just buy in a foreign talent who they don't need to train. The problem for me which is killing our game is all the money from tv deals given to clubs so they can just import in a foreign player instead of being used to develop our own players at youth level who can make it.

Look at what the Germans did after Euro 2000. They revamped their youth system spending 700 million on improving facilities and coaching and what not. The Germans were prepared to take a hit in the short term for long term gain and look at how they have done of late. The amount of facilities and coaches in Germany and England is staggering. Taken froman article from the Guardian last year: "According to Uefa, Germany has 28,400 (England 1,759) coaches with the B licence, 5,500 (895) with the A licence and 1,070 (115) with the Pro licence, the highest qualification." The amount of facilities is somewhere along the same lines too from memory. That's an incredible difference between us. England do compete in more sports than Germany at a higher level but we still should be doing better.

For us to do better in the future this is where it all starts at the beginning of where we all learn to play football. Sadly I doubt this will happen as the FA is really run by the Premier League and whilst they can dish out silly money to clubs instead of improving our own game, then we are doomed to fail barring a miracle.

Salkster, I agree entirely with what you've said there. Spot on.

The change needs to come with the clubs buying into it though. Those clubs getting the silly money should be investing that into local academies, coaches and facilities to start to improve football at grass roots. They should be sponsoring people to go through the coaching courses themselves and looking to find paid coaching roles at the end for those who obtain the bigger/better qualifications. Every major city in the UK, not just England should be hosting monthly coaching courses for people to get their qualifications, at present, in Scotland its twice yearly and not overly local.

Whats being coached needs to change too. I remember reading an article about a guy sitting his A license here in the UK and one of his tasks was to produce a tactic for a League 2 club. He decided to play with 3 at the back and have two central midfielders dropping back to cover if the wider players pushed on. He was told that he'd never make it in that division unless he played a 4-4-2 and used the element of surprise that was the "long ball" by the tutor. If the guys coaching the coaches are thinking like that, what chance do the newer generations have.

On the positive, a few good articles online about this lad, Ian Cathro, who left Scottish football because they weren't progressive in their approach to coaching. This lad was 23 when spotted by Craig Levein in Dundee running his own coaching clinics. He's spent the last two years as assistant coach in Rio Ave, Portugal and is now possibly heading to, or already at Valencia in the same role.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/first-the-apprentice-now-the-master-graduates.24677228

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/interview-coach-ian-cathro-on-why-he-left-scotland-for-portugal-1-2575585

Salks, I had no idea the situation was quite as bad as that in terms of coaching in England. So it's obvious to me what should come next: Government funding to encourage more committed people to want to become coaches, government funding to ensure the quality of that training is increased from Gary's example.

It can be done. Australia decided at one point that their nation would be best served by Sporting Excellence as a way of boosting a sense of national pride and that that, in itself, was a good thing. And so the Australian Institute of Sport was created. I don't think it's going to far to say that English pride would be immeasurably boosted by a successful national team, so what it will take is investment, and that investment should come centrally.

If you want to look at what "B" teams can do, just look at American baseball. There, major league teams have six affiliated teams:

Class AAA -- the 'top' minor league affiliate, where the fringe big leaguers are kept.

Class AA -- where the best future prospects go.

Class "high A" -- where successful younger prospects and draft picks are placed

Class "low A" -- where less successful younger prospects from the previous year and draft picks are placed

Two "rookie" teams -- where the current year's draft selections are generally placed

It used to be that baseball was EVERYWHERE in the United States. Then the St. Louis Cardinals invented the farm system to groom players for the major leagues. It worked -- but it helped kill smaller league ball in the United States. Now, the game is greatly reduced at the amateur and 'town ball' levels, which would be the rough equivalent of the smaller leagues in England.

One of the things that I as an American find utterly fascinating about real football is its culture, especially in the Home Nations. I think it would be a crying shame if clubs like my newly discovered South Park FC were to get the bum's rush out of business because it couldn't latch on to a parent club. The lower leagues and five-a-sides are the heartbeat of the game, in my view.

Let me get this straight, Arsene Wenger...you sell Adebayor,Toure, Clichy, and Nasri to Man City and you still qualify for Europe flawlessly. Sagna now heads there after you release him on a free transfer. You have no issues with doing this either, fully confident in your assessment of when a player has peaked and all that jazz. Heck, you even sell Van Persie to Man United and still qualify for Europe. Now, you won't sell Vermaelen to Man United because you don't want to sell to a rival? Are you figuring you won't see Barca in the Champions League? I don't understand big-time transfers...At least Newcastle are consistent because if you have the right money, they will sell you any player you want.

I think it's precisely because of those previous transfers, and the backlash the team has gotten from the fans, that Wenger is now reluctant to keep bolstering our league rivals. We're in a much better position now financially, and thus can afford to say no to whoever we want. In the Sagna case we did want to keep him, and offered him an extension, but he chose to leave, so that was out of our hands.

Whys the deadline 2 days before the league starts?

Friday deadline i can understand but thursday seems a tad strange :p

I'll get round to finalising my team around that time but at least i have remembered to enter already unlike for the work one

I watched the Community Shield in hopes of seeing 3 things...1) City lose 2) Sanchez meld seamlessly coming from Barca to Barca-lite and 3) the crowd boo Nasri for his latest comments in the media regarding why he quit France and left Arsenal for Man City...

I hit the trifecta today!

I also got a bonus: Lampard focused entirely on the match in the stands watching guys he's just barely getting to know personally sitting next to Aguero who couldn't be bothered to tear himself away from his texting to watch his longstanding teammates...

It was an extra bonus watching Arsenal do the Poznan celebration too...

Each year, I hate City more and more...I just wish that Tevez, Balotelli, and Mancini were still there...It would give me my guilty pleasure like when I watch the reality shows filled with so much dysfunction it's staggering. Maybe if they sack Pelligrini, they can bring us Maradona...even at 53, he shows more vitality than Nastasic...

Come on regular season!

I haven't played fantasy for several years now and I have the sick feeling I'm about to be reminded exactly why :)

Eleven Angry Men is entered in both the FMS league and the Mods League so I have the ability to humilate myself on dual fronts this year; :p

I haven't played fantasy for several years now and I have the sick feeling I'm about to be reminded exactly why :)

Eleven Angry Men is entered in both the FMS league and the Mods League so I have the ability to humilate myself on dual fronts this year; :p

If you going to humiliate yourself sir, you might aswell do it style

Let me get this straight, Arsene Wenger...you sell Adebayor,Toure, Clichy, and Nasri to Man City and you still qualify for Europe flawlessly. Sagna now heads there after you release him on a free transfer. You have no issues with doing this either, fully confident in your assessment of when a player has peaked and all that jazz. Heck, you even sell Van Persie to Man United and still qualify for Europe. Now, you won't sell Vermaelen to Man United because you don't want to sell to a rival? Are you figuring you won't see Barca in the Champions League? I don't understand big-time transfers...At least Newcastle are consistent because if you have the right money, they will sell you any player you want.

It's about financial and/or bargaining power. In most of those deals, Arsenal had little power to resist. Adebayor and Nasri in particular refused to sign new deals and agitated badly for their moves. With no one else willing to part with big money, Arsenal had little option but to sell. The others that went to City (Toure and Clichy), went with Wenger's blessing having given long service to the club. To be fair, I see Arsenal as having come out much the better out of the dealings with City. Only Nasri has gone on to be a real key player for them. Adebayor a huge flop. Toure and Clichy have been servicable to them but not spectacular.

RVP - same deal. In his last year of his contract, Arsenal not in a position to really risk losing him for nothing, not to mention having him disrupting the club after he publicly went behind Wenger's back to speak about how much he wanted out. Good money for him, but obviously it did help United win the league that year. They suffered terribly after that though, so this one seems about a 'break even'.

Sagna - Wenger clearly feels that he has peaked, but he wanted him to stay, and the reality is the player didn't want to stay. Wenger confirmed he offered him a 3-year contact. Sagna said no, and he decided to join City on a bosman. Not much more Wenger or the club could do, to be honest.

Vermaelen - a very different situation. Arsenal's finally got its finances back to where they would like it to be. Vermaelen also still had 2 years remaining, and unlike the others, he has never agitated for a move publicly. A big difference in giving the club more bargaining power. I, for one, love it. This time, Wenger was able to tell United to go stuff it, and still got good money for him. While it would be nice to keep him, it's hard when he was barely playing, and Wenger doesn't like to keep players who are clearly unsettled. Verm being a lot more professional about it and not airing his grief in public though makes a huge difference.

To be fair Arsenal have to be at fault for letting their contracts run down so low. Though i'd heard Vermaelen only had a year left which was why Wenger was willing to sell him. If Arsenal are going to challenge for trophies they are going to have to stop letting key players go. That being said I thought they looked decent on Sunday as poor as City were.

It's been great to read the feedback from Arsenal supporters. My point probably could have been clearer based upon the feedback I've gotten. Wenger has sold quality players to clubs in the Premiership and he's still done well with Arsenal regardless/in spite of those transfers. So, why has their transfer policy regarding Vermaelen suddenly changed? This sudden change in transfer policy is what I don't understand...

To be fair Arsenal have to be at fault for letting their contracts run down so low. Though i'd heard Vermaelen only had a year left which was why Wenger was willing to sell him. If Arsenal are going to challenge for trophies they are going to have to stop letting key players go. That being said I thought they looked decent on Sunday as poor as City were.

I think sometimes it's easy to criticise clubs for not doing more to extend players contracts, but the reality is that it takes two parties to agree to a contract extension, and if the player is not willing, then there is little the club can do about it. Again, the situation with Sagna was very clearly a case of the player having made up his mind to go, irrespective of what the club had offered him. Over the last two seasons, Arsenal has been very proactive in signing up key players before their contracts entered their final year. Ramsey, Gibbs, Walcott and Wilshere all signed new deals together in a 'show of faith' by the club and a statement from the players that they wanted to remain. Scz, Carzola and Koscielny have all been given new deals as they proved themselves with performances. Rosicky is an example of an older player who has been offered short-term deals who has agreed and stayed.

While it is possible that in the past the financial situations made Arsenal too 'frugal' in negotiations (although honestly there was no way Arsenal could compete with the wages on offer at City, if I recall correctly, Nasri's wages were tripled by City when he first moved), I don't think it's fair to criticise the club on those grounds more recently. The club had done everything it can in the last two years to sign up its key players. Sagna - and to a lesser extent, Vermaelen, who wasn't playing, and thus unlikely to sign a new deal under such circumstances - clearly had no intention to stay and had made up their mind to leave.

The other risk is going too far the other way. Wenger also was criticised earlier during the 'youth project' era of giving contracts that were too long and too valuable to young players who had not yet done enough to earn it, in an attempt to keep the group together. That didn't work out, and he was criticised for it. He's changed tactics again (for the most part, although Ramsey got his new contract just before his form jumped up several notches, I think it's interesting that a lot of fans at that time would not have rated him worth that new contract), and for the most part, I don't think Wenger's put a foot wrong on this front since the situation with RVP.

@Copper: I don't really think selling Vermaelen represents a sudden 'reversion to type', but really an extension of his usual practice. Wenger has never stood in the way of players wanting to leave to play first-team football when he can't guarantee that, especially when the chances to get any kind of value for them in the transfer market is also running out. This policy of his has hurt him several times before, when those squad players could have been really freaking useful due to injuries and/or the established players suddenly wanting out. But I don't really blame him for that too much, if anything, I admire him for being compassionate enough to the players who want to play to not block them when they want to move.

It puts a lot of pressure on him then to find suitable replacements - and if he fails to find another defender (or someone who can play as a defender) before the window closes, it will be a huge, huge, huge mistake in my opinion - but that's Wenger's way. He takes responsibility and the flack if it all goes pear-shaped. He's done it for the board in regards to the finances for years, and he tends to do it for his players as well. It can be really frustrating as a fan, but I kind of like it about him as well. At least he's consistent.

What Balth said. ^

:D

Lol, thank you my fellow Gooner!

Also, given the new season is about to kick off, I guess I should deliver out my usual predictions, just in case I turn out to be some sort of genius who is proved right!

I think overall the race for the title and European positions will be even tighter than last season. Pretty much all of the top clubs remain in good shape and/or have improved, and none of the teams appear to be completely dominant and have potential weaknesses. Overall, I think less than 5 points between the top-4, and less than 10 between the top-7.

For the title, I think it will probably be between City and Chelsea. Both have bought well over the summer to address their main weaknesses (City regarding their defence, Chelsea regarding their offence), have the greatest financial power, and arguably the strongest squads. Personally, I feel that if Costa starts the season well and provides Chelsea with the firepower they missed last season (along with Fabregas, who these days scores regularly from midfield), then they will edge City for the title. I think City's hopes rest on Mangala proving the perfect partner for Kompany and Agureo being fit for more than a third of the season.

Third spot I think will go to Arsenal. Personally, I think the club has done extremely well over the summer. We have picked up an excellent keeper to challenge for the No.1 spot, achieved a like-for-like replacement for Sagna (on the stats, potentially an upgrade), picked up a versatile and very promising young defender/midfielder, picked up a great forward in Alexis Sanchez who will add pace, creativity and goals, and kept all of our established stars. The only short area is in the center of defence, so hopefully Wenger signs an additional central defender before the window closes. If Sanchez hits the ground running and Walcott comes back well from injury, I think a full-on title challenge is on the cards, with an outside chance of winning the whole thing.

Fourth I think will go to Liverpool. Losing Suarez is a big blow, not just in terms of goals, but also his all-round game which created a lot of opportunities for teammates. They will miss him. The question is, how much. They are risking 'doing a Spurs' (sell best player for huge fee, buy almost a dozen new players with the money). I know they need a bigger squad due to Champions League commitments, and some of the signings do have Premier League experience, but it's still a risk, particularly as it seems Rodgers is trying to rebuild his entire defence in one go (which was Liverpool's big weakness, with 50 goals conceded).

Fifth I think will be held by Everton. They have retained the players they had on loan from last season, which was crucial, but haven't added a lot more, so it's hard to see them having that extra to push on. Should have a real-hot go at winning a Cup competition though. I expect them to remain consistent and dangerous. Sixth to an improving United. They now have a good manager who has a cohesive plan. However, he wants to change formation and has no fit defenders. The squad hasn't improved a huge amount, and while they've been linked to lots of players, no deals have materialised and the season is about to start. I can't see them ousting the teams above them, but they will be a lot closer. Spurs will finish 7th, again, they haven't really strengthened the squad that much, but will hope for major improvements on the managerial front.

Mid-table:

I think these teams will be largely safe from the relegation scrap, with the possibility of pushing for Europe if things go well, and finish anywhere between 8th to 13th (in approximate finishing order):

- Newcastle (bought well over summer, but obviously they're all from France so may take time to settle)

- Stoke (some very interesting signings, Hughes appears to have refound his mid-table mojo)

- Crystal Palace (should continue solid form from last season).

- Hull (decent squad, but Europe will take its toll)

- Sunderland (positive end to the season should provide platform to build)

- Swansea (decent squad, but seem to be treading water).

Relegation Scrap:

These teams will most likely be involved in the relegation battle, to various extents (in approximate finishing order, 14th to 20th):

- Southampton (hard to see them pushing on after such a disastrous summer).

- QPR (decent enough squad, and the manager has the nous to keep them up).

- Aston Villa (terrible form from last season, and a real risk of going down if their more experienced players don't bring the goods, but their first 11 is arguably good enough for higher).

- West Brom (inexperienced manager and an average-ish squad, also poor form from last season).

- Leicester (a decent chance of staying up if things go well, but the squad lacks experience at this level so will likely struggle).

- West Ham (still playing turgid football under Big Sam, and their main striker is never fit. Luck has to run out eventually).

- Burnley (can't see them having enough quality to stay up).

Everyone has their niche. We try to welcome people but, like in real life, sometimes people think their best friends lie elsewhere. If he's got a good community going, more power to him. Our little band of brothers is just fine for those of us who post here. I like to see it grow, which is why I try to encourage people to post.

That said, enjoy your Sundays, and I'm mightily POed that United contrived to lose yesterday :p

Q: How many times did I see Herrera fail to make a vertical pass to Mata?

A: Too many to win trophies in England. (save that petty crap for the school yard...)

Q: Is Nani tutoring Januzaj on the wings? It seemed like every time that boy got the ball, he channeled Nani and took ages to set up his defender to try to beat him on the dribble before selfishly taking a shot from an acute angle...

Final Q: If LvG's post-match comments are implying that they failed "the system", then what is that "system"? If it is teamwork, spot on accurate because too many failed to make vertical passes or penetrate vertically on the dribble through the middle of the pitch. If his system is something more akin to Capello with England where everyone has to be in certain places in certain scenarios, etc...then God help every Man Utd supporter on the planet...

In the world of transfers, I read a headline that said that Thomas Mueller snubbed Man United. Snubbed? He turned down the massive money offered to him because he was content at Bayern Munich. Even though I'd love for him to come to United, I have respect for a man who will turn down money to stay put at one club. It's the kind of loyalty that I appreciate in an age where agents rule the world and get significant cuts of money because they can get their players to move clubs. The more often, the better.

On another inquiry: Would United have been able to win the Treble in 98-99 without 4 strikers, including supersub Solskjaer? Why is it so important for Chicharito to leave? His production is so much better than Nani's when comparing their contributions over time. I know Nani is going out on loan, if rumors in papers are to be trusted. But why Chicharito? As far as I've heard, he's not asked to leave. Instead, he didn't fit VanGaal's scheme/profile of what he wanted...who is coming then who fits LvG's needs?

And, for crying out loud, don't sign DiMaria, though I love his skills dearly. How much stockpiling on defense can be accumulated for DiMaria's transfer fees?

So, United then. Why are they chasing di Maria? Surely they have Shaw for the left wingback? Need a centre back and a good holding midfielder for me. Maybe a right wingback?

Di Maria's a good player, but not what they need surely?

I know that this is designed to be a football manager board, and as a suggestion only, how's this as an idea?

Someone picks a story title, and we all write a short story within a pre-determined word count. It would be interesting to see where people go.

It can still be based on a game people are playing to meet the rules?

sample title to show what I mean:

"It was a long hard slog up north....."

After watching United today, what I need is a tranquilizer. A special kind of unacceptable. That club is a mess and even Van Gaal will have a job on to fix it. At least two penalties missed by Atkinson in my opinion but it is going to take a special effort, and a hell of a lot of money, to bring in defenders that are clearly needed and even though DiMaria should fix the central midfield it's defense that is the worry for me. They have one fit senior center back. This team isn't anywhere close to contention for anything.

I know that this is designed to be a football manager board, and as a suggestion only, how's this as an idea?

Someone picks a story title, and we all write a short story within a pre-determined word count. It would be interesting to see where people go.

It can still be based on a game people are playing to meet the rules?

sample title to show what I mean:

"It was a long hard slog up north....."

Sounds interesting. I'm willing to give it a go if not for the fact that I hardly actually play FM any more.

So, United then. Why are they chasing di Maria? Surely they have Shaw for the left wingback? Need a centre back and a good holding midfielder for me. Maybe a right wingback?

I do not for the life of me understand why they are signing him let alone the silly figure they are paying for him. The Madrid chairman must be running to the bank for that one. Surely it doesn't take a genius for them to see that they need defenders or do they just think they need to show that they have cash and can still sign players because that is what it smacks of. I get the feeling this isn't a Van Gaal signing and more Ed Woodward trying to show he can sign players after the fiasco of last summer. That club is being run badly at the top. Fergie and David Gill did well to get out while they could.

Sounds interesting. I'm willing to give it a go if not for the fact that I hardly actually play FM any more.

It's an interesting idea, but we'd need a shared save to make it work and obviously, the same version of the game and all with the same update.

Archived