• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might not be the most popular view I've ever come out with but bigotry is as much the fault of the society we live in as much as it does with the women herself.

Maybe in some cases, but some people are just complete and utter f*cktards!

So, how do you fix that, cf?

I think it comes between better education for all parts of society, meaning it's not much use in reaching out to Muslim schools or Christian schools, if you don't give out the same message at every other type of school. It comes between that and some compulsory euthanasia for the current batch of lost causes.

It comes between that and some compulsory euthanasia for the current batch of lost causes.

And how does that make us better than the bigots?

My point is that there is a price to be paid for free speech. It involves defeating objectionable view points in the marketplace of ideas rather than through descending to their levels.

On OTF at the present time, I'm debating the merits of religion. And there, mine is the unpopular view. What is to stop someone from declaring my viewpoint "bigoted" simply because they do not agree with what it says?

While everyone is entitled to free speech, that does not mean it doesn't come without consequences, and I think it is the latter part that many people forget.

If you choose to live by something, then you have to accept everything that comes with it.

Right after a comment by tenthreeleader Im going to see if I can do and finish a sign up. What I need is whether you want to be a manager or player

I need the following

Role: Manager / Player

Position: If player

Nationality; English, Scottish, Welsh, Rep.Ire or Northern Ireland

Age;

Attributes: Personality, favoured foot (Player), stuff like that

Fav: Club

Further details will be sorted out in time

PM me your details etc...cheers

Right... I'm taking the plunge. I've asked for FM15 as a late Christmas present.

I won't be starting any FM15 stories any time soon, though. I'll probably spend early 2015 getting to grips with the editor, and playing an Arsenal save whenever I've got the time. I've not had a real go with Arsenal since FM2007, so that should be fun.

P.S. I've sent you a PM about the sign-up, Mark.

Why might Pardew be interested in leaving Newcastle (I understand he's obtained a release from them) in order to go to Crystal Palace. While Newcastle's Chairman is unusual in his antics, he has stuck by the man in extremely difficult times and in spite of public opinion. Does Newcastle put more faith in their Footballing Director than Pardew for new signings? Will Crystal Palace offer Pardew more freedom when selecting his players? I could really use a local's insight on this, if you're willing to weigh in.

Why might Pardew be interested in leaving Newcastle (I understand he's obtained a release from them) in order to go to Crystal Palace. While Newcastle's Chairman is unusual in his antics, he has stuck by the man in extremely difficult times and in spite of public opinion. Does Newcastle put more faith in their Footballing Director than Pardew for new signings? Will Crystal Palace offer Pardew more freedom when selecting his players? I could really use a local's insight on this, if you're willing to weigh in.

I'm not a Crystal Palace fan, but I know Alan Pardew has history with them. He was a player at Palace for four years, and he scored the goal that took them to the 1990 FA Cup Final. Also, he's originally from south London, so it would be understandable if he wanted to go back home.

The Newcastle situation is very bizarre. Mike Ashley seems to lurch from giving Pardew an eight-year contract one season to almost sacking him the next. I am very surprised that he's not given Pardew the P45 yet, but maybe Ashley isn't as rash or reckless as other people seem to think.

If I was Pardew, Palace would seemingly be better for job stability, mainly because he won't have Joe Kinnear undermining him behind the scenes. On the other hand, try telling that to Eagles fans, who've seen Holloway, Pulis and Warnock depart since promotion.

If Pardew doesn't keep Palace up, he will need to ensure they come straight back up. If they don't, I really don't think he will last. It is a stupid move (logically) as he has been given time beyond what fans felt he deserved, yet so many fans I know aren't sad to hear about this move, plus on paper we are a bigger better side than Palace. Many have believed it has led to stagnation having him in charge, usually falling around the same Premiership finish each year he has been with us. He has steadied us after the joy of Joe Kinnear. Palace is right for Pardew (I think).

Where do we go if he does leave? Names are bandied around; Frank De Boer (apparently unavailable for certain until the end of the season), Coloccini (what?), Pulis (any different to Pardew?) and I don't even have anymore.

Headaches once more.

If Pardew doesn't keep Palace up, he will need to ensure they come straight back up. If they don't, I really don't think he will last. It is a stupid move (logically) as he has been given time beyond what fans felt he deserved, yet so many fans I know aren't sad to hear about this move, plus on paper we are a bigger better side than Palace. Many have believed it has led to stagnation having him in charge, usually falling around the same Premiership finish each year he has been with us. He has steadied us after the joy of Joe Kinnear. Palace is right for Pardew (I think).

Where do we go if he does leave? Names are bandied around; Frank De Boer (apparently unavailable for certain until the end of the season), Coloccini (what?), Pulis (any different to Pardew?) and I don't even have anymore.

Headaches once more.

'Tis too bad Diego Simeone won't take the job. I'd consider cheering for Newcastle in every match save versus United if he'd show up. However, would the current crop of players tolerate him? I'm with you, I don't know if anyone would be able to take the chaos in the back room with Newcastle and I feel sympathy for you loyal supporters. De Boer seems like a good guy, but I'm still trying to figure out what kind of direction Newcastle wishes to take from here. Are they in the business of being good enough if they can make money? Do they want silverware? Do they want respect? Maybe you know, Gav?

I think a lot of the Pardew situation is to do with the fans, and the fact they seem to want him out every week. That said, I believe he still lives down near Palace anf probably has a soft spot for the club

'Tis too bad Diego Simeone won't take the job. I'd consider cheering for Newcastle in every match save versus United if he'd show up. However, would the current crop of players tolerate him? I'm with you, I don't know if anyone would be able to take the chaos in the back room with Newcastle and I feel sympathy for you loyal supporters. De Boer seems like a good guy, but I'm still trying to figure out what kind of direction Newcastle wishes to take from here. Are they in the business of being good enough if they can make money? Do they want silverware? Do they want respect? Maybe you know, Gav?

Our direction, for a couple years now, has definitely seemed to be lets just make money, and depending on how much we get paid for Pardew, even extends to managers!

I actually like Pardew, and while he may lack the ideas and potential to be a top club manager, he definitely had the right approach and hasn't done us any harm during his time with us. I just fear that this will derail our season and cause more trouble than it is worth. I know we will end up making the wrong decision and bring someone to the club who isn't right (Souness, Allardyce, Kinnear spring to mind).

Fans want silverware, Ashley wants money to pay for funding Rangers and keeping Sports Direct stock topped up. We have shopped well recently, and while some went awry (Ben Arfa) and others moved on for profits (Debuchy, Cabaye), we haven't been as cavalier as we once were. And Kinnear left last February so as far as I can tell any new manager is under control of their own transfers (with Pardew's French raiding policy possibly a result of Kinnear's work and might have unearthed a real gold mine that they keep tapping every window).

I don't want Pulis, I don't want Steve Bruce (a former Sunderland manager, really?) but then I don't know who would be right for us. Alex Ferguson fancy coming out of retirement?

Right after a comment by tenthreeleader Im going to see if I can do and finish a sign up. What I need is whether you want to be a manager or player

I need the following

Age;

Further details will be sorted out in time

Tbh, I can't see De Boer being interested in Newcastle. But no idea who they would try to appoint, Ashley is too much of an enigma on that front. I can imagine it'll be someone internal to save on finance.

Happy New year all of you, just to let you know you have till Saturday morning for to sign up for the sign up game. I'll be starting to sort the database now with the people I have up to now.

We have plenty of people wanting to be players but not many wanting to be a manager hint hint

Indeed they should have if not for some generous decisions by the ref they would have.

Absolutely gutted that Stevie is leaving in the summer. Ever since I've been playing and watching football he's been around. Quite heartbroken in truth that my idol is leaving :(

As gutted as I am about it I do think it's probably for the best for both parties. He's far from the player he was physically and i'd even go as far as to say he has been a shadow of the player he was last season. Maybe that was the Suarez factor or just because it was a winning team. His age has a little to do with that but I do think the disappointment from last season and the World Cup has taken a lot out of him. Rodgers could also have managed his fitness better also.

He's never going to lose the technical ability but with his declining fitness it hurts the high intensity game that Rodgers wants to play. Maybe he sees that and is doing it for the benefit of Liverpool FC so we can build for the future. I'm sure he would stay otherwise unless it's just to try something new for his final few years. A sad day it will be on his last game but everyone has to flock the nest eventually. I'm sure he will be back someday maybe even as manager.

Last chance to sign up, only had eight people sign up...Will sort database out tomorrow.

Age;

If you choose to be a manager please list five clubs you would like to start with, however only one club may be a top team...Leagues running are English BSN/BSS, Welsh Premier, Scot 3rd Div, Northern Ireland and Rep.Ire

As for Gerrard a true legend of the modern game and will be missed in the Premier League. Shame he never got that one Premier League medal that he deserved

It's too bad about Stevie G because he could do good things for a team if he's managed correctly. Again, Giggs was able to carry on beyond his time frame. John Terry is still carrying on as he has lost his pace too. Lampard is still being used effectively and it's been wondrous to see, even from an anti-City supporter. To me, the jaded side of me thinks that it's similar to the Landon Donovan issue and the US Men's National Team. Klinsmann wants to be the face of the team. Rogers strikes me similarly. There is so much knowledge of tactics and less knowledge when it comes to man management. Watching Gerrard get ushered out the door seems to be a sign of the times. If he was to go to LA, I still wouldn't watch him. I think that Gerrard would be better suited for the Pacific Northwest with Seattle or Portland. I don't think LA has enough rain to remind him of home...

For everything he's great at, I don't think Gerrard has ever really been a DM because his defensive awareness isn't all that great. I think I'd be right in saying that his best years came under Rafa Benitez when he was, more often than not, pushed forward behind the striker into a position where the strong parts of his game flourished and the not so strong parts were well masked by Alonso and whoever else Liverpool had at the time in CM, though I'm no expert when it comes to Liverpool so that could be wrong! I don't think he's useless defensively ala Juan Mata however that is definitely the weakest side of his game from a purely footballing perspective.

On a side note, I know there are a few in here who coach/manage football teams in real life but I was just wondering who of you has done that at some point and what you found hardest about it? I'm half way through my first season managing an 11 a side mens team and also working on my coaching badges at the moment!

EDIT: Also, how Gary Cahill has escaped any action from the FA with regards to kicking Harry Kane the other day I'll never know. Even as a Chelsea fan I will quite happily say he should have been handed some kind of punishment for what was basically common assault on a football pitch!

Offy, I have done some coaching at the u19 level in our high schools in the USA. Then, I've done much younger players following that. The most difficult part for me was/has been dealing with parents and managing their expectations in realistic ways. For some reason, parents in the USA seem to think that if they train for 3 hours, they can make significant improvements when they play in their 2-3 matches on the weekend. They don't seem to understand that training is where most of the progress gets made to improve. On the pitch, it is more a matter of survival.

As far as your desire to manage a men's side, I'd imagine the most difficult part will/has been getting to the point where all of you are on the same page regarding the direction you wish to go in the future. Getting adults to believe in what you are doing is a monumental achievement. If you wish to deal with specifics, then PM me and we hash out some ideas.

As far as Cahill goes, there is no excuse for it. Mourinho might joke and say that Dowd was too slow to keep up with the play to see it. However, with video evidence, that should be a single match suspension minimum, especially if the other player picked up a three match ban for elbowing Coleman at Everton's match. The punishments are so inconsistent they come across as being laughable. It really needs to be handled more effectively. With subtle yet purposeful kicks like that, Kane will want to leave the Premiership and probably play with Hazard, wherever he ends up after he gets kicked out of the game. I'm sure the 4th official couldn't see it either because Mourinho had his thumb in his eye simultaneously.

It's half time and I've been riveted by the score updates at the Mighty Blyth Spartans! 2-0! Loving it! For those of you who have been around a while, you might have remembered that I wrote my first story involving my namesake at Blyth. Ever since then, I've followed them somewhat regularly.

Football Manager has a way of doing that for me. I write a story involving a fictional career and then end up tracking the club in real life. Anyone else find themselves doing that too?

There has definitely been some teething issues! This team didn't have a manager last season so it was handled by the players as a kind of democracy before I was asked to come and manage them at the beginning of pre-season about half a year or so ago. It was difficult for them initially, but we're in a much better place now than we were 4 months or so ago! We sit 5th in our league of 11 teams, 7 points behind the league leaders and we've already beaten last years points total.

Given the fact that at 23 years old I'm younger than a lot of the guys on the team there have been a few issues with getting some of the more rebellious players in line. Just over a month ago we'd lost 5 games on the bounce (2 of them cup games) and I lost my rag with one of my centrebacks after we gave up a 2 goal lead, he threatened to 'deck' me and so I dropped him from the team and he hasn't played a game for us since. The game after, my other first-choice centreback punched and was punched by an opposing striker and got sent off and he also hasn't played since (his 3 match ban only came into play at the end of December). We won that game and in the 4 matches since we have won 3, our only loss coming away against the league leaders so things have picked up since and people have fallen in line following those incidents!

Cahill has had a terrible season so far and I would like to see him displaced by Kurt Zouma ASAP. Regarding your comments on Blyth, I keep a close eye on Brighton after I had a save which saw me take them to become the best team in Europe on FM12!

It's half time and I've been riveted by the score updates at the Mighty Blyth Spartans! 2-0! Loving it! For those of you who have been around a while, you might have remembered that I wrote my first story involving my namesake at Blyth. Ever since then, I've followed them somewhat regularly.

Football Manager has a way of doing that for me. I write a story involving a fictional career and then end up tracking the club in real life. Anyone else find themselves doing that too?

Given that I follow Reading, Bolton and SC Freiburg on Twitter now, yeah, I do that too :)

Archived