• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love football because, when I first started watching it, it was a sport where genuinely anything can happen. Of course, the advent of the moneybags era means that things are somewhat more predictable, but, as my beloved Arsenal showed just last weekend, football still has the ability to surprise and pull off the unexpected.

I actually like the international aspect of the game, because it can sometimes serve as a leveller in football. The stories of underdogs going on a good run in tournaments through sheer hard work and luck (Costa Rica 2014, Greece 2004, South Korea and Turkey 2002 etc) simply fascinates me.

Short Version:

I love football mostly now because of the shared connection with my girl who I now coach, its u17's here in Australia and she plays in the top division, I also love it for the team aspect and the people you meet, all the parents at the club are great and the banter that goes on with them is something you really only find with a club or with people who you grow up with.

I love the learning, the coaching aspect of it more now and I find myself watching more women's games then mens, I watch the Perth Glory Women all the time but might go to one mens game, I also watch Women's College Football in the US alot so I can teach that to the girls teams where I can.

I'd love to do it with my son aswell, but f**k me he is useless, he lucked out and got his mother genes in the sporting department, but I'm partly to blame I could do a lot more to teach him, but between Girls football and work I have no time for teaching him, instead we talk bloody minecraft and about all the crap and worlds he creates!

Long Version: TLDR

I've sort of always been into football apparently so I am told, my Uncle was a state player in Tassie when I was about 3-4, he use to come to our house all the time and he taught me everything, apparently I was pretty good at that age. When I was 5 my parents went to enrol me in the local soccer team but they were told that I was too young to play, so they took me to an AFL club where I was allowed to play.

I loved it and ended up playing, when my Uncle found out he apparently didn't talk to my mum for 3 years which is pretty funny.

I played AFL and ended up playing a few years above my agegroup and got into a few development squads, at primary school and highschool though I played for the soccer team instead of the football team as I played club football and wanted to do something different. I first began following it back in around 85, my best mate was a mad Notts Forest fan, we watched a game and it was against Man United and when we beat them thats when I followed them from their. We were pretty **** back then from what I remember but my favourite players was Mark Hughes, I was so pissed when he was sold.

I followed on then sporadically I suppose, me and my mate use to play some commodore 64 management game that used the tape drive, but it wouldnt go past season 2, so we played the same season over all the time, then we started playing the first championship manager and then I probably followed a bit more.

It wasn't until I burnt out on Football when I had multiple bad injury's that I started following and then playing a bit more, I always stayed up to watch United, but the rivalries didnt mean that much to me, I didn't hate Liverpool or that, I just enjoyed watching the game.

For me it rose to another level when my girl showed an interest in football and we took her down to the local club, she wasn't great and was playing against the boys but she enjoyed it and despite her getting bypassed in play she showed bits here and there, so I started going down to the park with her, showing her some things.

We worked on all skills and agility and before long she had as good as control as the boys and passing was good, just didnt have the range, but they still bypassed her and she couldnt get the ball, she would shy out of tackles and challenges.

The biggest thing I taught her was she wasn't going to get hurt, we were doing drills through cones and when she went past I would clip her ankles to make her fall, I did it gently at first so she had time to brace herself, she would get back up most of the time fine. Once we were doing it at speed I clipped her pretty good and she went down pretty hard took all the skin off her knees, she was going to start crying when I said are you going to effing cry, get back up and keep going, she did, got back up kept on going.

Her knee was pretty bad, she hit a really hard bit of ground and it took the skin off, when I asked if it hurt she said no, it hurt later, the scab took three weeks to heal and she didnt play for two weeks, but from then she went in hard to get the ball, when she went down she got up straight away.

She developed into a decent player, unfortunately this last year she has developed really bad sports asthma to a point where it can get dangerous, she didn't want to quit so she now plays keeper, she is awesome as the sweeper keeper, but she lets in some easy ones and saves the ones she has no right to.

But I still love the connection that we have, I love the way it drives me to learn more and now being a coach I love the way I can shape the team and they listen 80% of the time and you can see things you teach them work in games and the penny drops.

For me its more a local thing that Man United or A-League, but I do want to get to the UK so I can see Old Trafford, Anfield etc and I want to go and see the local team I support in Droylsden.

Not sure if that answers your question Ben!!

On the drive into work today, I listened to the pundits on satellite radio ask the listeners what it was about football/soccer that they like the most. Obviously, since the program had a North American skew to it, the callers from England/Europe/Australia might not weigh in. However, it got me thinking and I'd like to pose the same question for this forum.

What is it about football that you like most?

For me, it's the fact that the sport truly is a global game. In the Premiership, it seems common to have at least 6 nationalities on the team. I like that. A lot.

Additionally, I love love love relegation. In the United States, watching two teams with abysmal records means so much less than watching two relegation candidates in a dog fight. I will watch Hull and Leicester battle before Liverpool and Newcastle because there is so much at stake.

Finally, I love not having playoffs. The MLS will continue to be a joke as long as they have playoffs. I can accept wage caps. I can accept a draft for incoming players. I cannot and will not accept geographically based conferences and playoffs at the top level of the sport. I can understand regional teams in the developing leagues, where clubs don't get national exposure from television broadcasting. But to have the first 2/3 of the season be "league" play and the final 1/3 of the season be the metaphorical equivalent of a cup tournament makes no sense to me and until this system is changed with MLS, I won't watch it.

Any others willing to weigh in why they love football?

My love with football started with a simple thing: parent influence. My dad, a Chinese Malaysian, was one of many in his generation to go to England to study, specifically London (Shepherds Bush, to be precise). Prior to going, he had started getting interested in football when Arsenal had played an exhibition match in KL, so he started to follow it more once he got over to the UK. Well, he obviously shared that passion with me, and while initially I tried to get into Australian sports when we first migrated over here (cricket, Aussie Rules Football), I was never really able to get into them, but seemed to have a bit more affinity for playing football (probably helped that I'm a scrawny Asian kid, so the Aussie games aren't particularly kind to me, where at least in football I could offset my lack of bulk a bit more) and so started getting more interested in the game.

I started getting 'serious' about supporting Arsenal during the 1997-98 season, just when the club was about to be totally transformed under Wenger. At the same time, a few of my friends in school also started to get interested, and from there my love and interest in the game just grew. I played for the school team (in all positions, although primarily as a defender) right through secondary school, at times at the highest level, although now I only play casually with friends whenever I can. In terms of the sport itself, I love that it's so technically challenging, but at the same time, so basic. Anyone can play with a little bit of coordination and a little bit of training/practice, but to really excel and do well at the sport, there is incredible tactical, technical and mental depth. I like that people who may not be the strongest/fastest/most agile or most gifted can still do very well by leveraging other advantages (reading of the game, anticipation, that 'knack' for being in the right place at the right time). I love that it's a team game, that while individuals can and do give teams an edge, ultimately they must gel and work together with 10 other blokes in order to really do well.

I get a lot of joy from seeing skillful defensive work, screening an offensive player before clearing the ball, crunching him in a tackle or simply just winning it off him as much as those twisting runs or exquisite finishes. I love seeing those awesome team goals (like Wilshere's goal against Norwich last season, that is a thing of utter magic because it requires immense skill not just from one player, but from several, as well as a level of instinctive coordination that only comes from trust and familiarity with your team). I love seeing a perfect pass or those little bits of technical genius that make your jaw drop.

There are a lot of issues in the administration and operation of the sport in terms of clubs, finances, agents, governing bodies etc, but the sport itself is as close to perfection in terms of striking a balance between teamplay at individual skill to my mind, so why I love it, and continue to do so.

Cambridge United 0, Manchester United 0.

A League Two team - who were playing non-league football last season - have just held the 20-time English champions to a goalless draw, having been given almost no chance prior to kick-off. The FA Cup is such a great leveller, and that's why I have loved football for the last 17 years.

Coming away from Stamford Bridge having not been beaten is considered a good result for any team in the premier league, coming to Stamford Bridge and winning against Mourinho's Chelsea is considered a monumental result for pretty much any team, but going there and coming back from two goals down to win 4-2?? Not to mention the difference in standing domestically between the two teams! I imagine it to be their version of Munich '12, fair play to them! Hopefully they're this years surprise package and make a deep run in the cup.

As for Chelsea... Pfft, good work guys.

I watched the Chelsea-Bradford game on Match Of The Day, and I was surprised at how quiet the home crowd were, even when Chelsea scored their two goals. It sounded more like the match was being played at Valley Parade rather than Stamford Bridge.

Of course. How silly of me. :)

Now that I'm managing Bolton in a save, I had to check the lineups to see how they were aligned. That's when you know you've got it bad.

Haha, \i've done that before. My favourite is the moments when I've been, "Why haven't they picked that player? Oh yeah, because they've only signed him in FM, not real life."

Haha, \i've done that before. My favourite is the moments when I've been, "Why haven't they picked that player? Oh yeah, because they've only signed him in FM, not real life."

I'm now confused. What's this 'Real Life' thing of which you speak ?

Pretty fun weekend in the Cup - of the current top-8 teams in the Premier League, only two are through (Arsenal and West Ham), with another two facing replays (Man Utd and Liverpool). Southampton, Chelsea, City and Spurs are all eliminated. Glorious! Should be a very open competition from here, I would think there's a good chance this year of a lower-league team making the final again. Also, a good chance that Arsenal can retain the Cup and go clear on the all-time winners list (here's hoping)!

I don't think so. Look at the team United put out there last week. And I think it's fair to say that even a Chelsea second XI should have been favored to win comfortably at home against Bradford. I think there's a special element to the FA Cup and the big boys eliminated last weekend will not be pleased.

United were probably just poor (*boom boom*) while Chelsea I think were guilty of over-confidence.

But like I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's stuff like these that make me love football. So long as Arsenal win, of course. :D

I don't think so. Look at the team United put out there last week. And I think it's fair to say that even a Chelsea second XI should have been favored to win comfortably at home against Bradford. I think there's a special element to the FA Cup and the big boys eliminated last weekend will not be pleased.

I agree, I don't think the level of indifference is anywhere near as high, at least not for the 'top' teams anymore (although ironically Chelsea rested players for the League Cup semi second leg). The line-ups were not particularly weak. United played a fairly strong squad, as did City. Chelsea, as noted, probably saw this as an opportunity to rest players (given they are at home) yet were rolled in a shock result. Arsenal rotated but I don't think you could call it a substantially weaker side (i.e. no ranks from the reserves starting). Most clubs still treat the FA Cup as being quite valuable, it's mostly the fans of the top teams that don't view it as seriously anymore, because it doesn't seem as valuable as the league or Champions League in this day and age of fan one-upmanship.

My opinion is that occasionally bigger teams are simply complacent, there is also an element of 'the magic of the Cup' in the sense that a lot of the lower-division sides know they have nothing to lose, so are quite happy to have a go. I also believe that in recent years the quality of football in the lower divisions has also improved a lot. There's far less of the plain old 'hoof and hope' kind of stuff. A lot of these teams now play with the ball on the deck and are well drilled, and as Wenger pointed out post-match, their level of professionalism is pretty high now so there isn't the same element of them running out of legs. So, to put it simply, these teams are simply not as far off the Premier League teams in terms of organisation and ability as they once were. Combine that with a 'give it a go' attitude and some complacency and you get lots of upsets. It's great!

To weigh in on the FA Cup, I think it's a matter of the overall professionalism involved in the English Leagues. I think there is a lot of parity among the top leagues, especially when it comes to the style of play (keeping the ball down on the floor, zipping it around on the counterattack, etc. I think where some of the difference lies is that it seems like the players at the lower levels are offering their best players on the pitch at the same time. That familiarity, instead of the change and chop lineups offered by the top clubs is something that gives them the edge in a one off. Additionally, the split second recognition of runs, whether they be on the counterattack or trying to crack open a bus parking bank of two lines, is even more important. Finally, I think that strength is a vital attribute. Being shifty is awesome, but when it gets to the final third, strength is vital to create the bits of space and to shove players off the ball. It seems that many of the top clubs have quicker players, but weaker ones too. That extra few kilos/stones/pounds are vital in such situations as free kicks, corner kicks, and the final third when build-up play is involved. While the lower league teams might not be as technical, they can still generate shots and the odds are that shots are going to go in.

Hull very poor against a Newcastle side with a lack of direction, might join Terk on that bet. :thup:

I reckon Hull can stay up. There is some talent in their squad, it's just either injured/badly out of form at the moment. Given the league also has QPR, Leicester, Aston Villa and Burnley, I reckon Hull can scrape together enough to survive (barely). My tip is QPR, Leicester and Aston Villa to go down. Villa have been utterly rubbish for 2 seasons now. Haven't scored a goal in the league since late December. Their lack of goals means the chances of picking up maximum points are extremely slim. Staying up on draws is going to be rather difficult.

If anyone here stayed up to watch the Super Bowl, I'll just say this:

I've been watching the NFL for 45 years. The Seattle play call on the one-yard line in the last minute was the single worst play call I have EVER seen.

Carry on.

According to the "number crunchers" and "statistical algorithms experts", Marshawn Lynch only converted 1 of 5 rushing touchdowns this season when attempting to run from the 1 yard line. Conversely, NO passes on any NFL team this entire season have been intercepted. Statistically speaking, it seems like it would be the right call to make. However, you can also say that statistics imply that both decisions were due for "statistical probability outliers" and the ball should have been given to Lynch because he was about due for another conversion and the interception was just waiting to happen. (sort of like what are the statistical odds that a team would lose 1-7 against an opponent in the semi-finals of a World Cup...it was an outlier and needed to happen).

What were the odds that Seattle would have marched 80 yards down the field with 31 seconds to score the game tying touchdown in the first half?

Or what are the odds that Seattle would have caught that jump ball catch while the wide receiver was rotating on his back to give his team the chance to win the game so late?

Or, what are the odds that Leighton Baines would be shoved out of the way by a player who'd never taken a penalty kick in the Premiership?

Or that Mario Balotelli will ever suit up again regularly in the Premiership...?

It's these kinds of odds and permutations in sport that help me to love all of it!

As Vince Lombardi said, "If you can't gain one yard, you don't deserve to be champions."

Two tries. Three feet. One time out. One Marshawn Lynch. Statistics aside, that call was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, Darrell Bevell took that literally.

I am fully with you, 10-3. I think you need to rely upon your best players to win or lose for you. I've always admired coaches who put the ball in the hands of their best players as much as possible to win the games. When coaches get too tricky, it can backfire. At least Pete Carroll has come out and said that he accepts responsibility for the call. How many coaches can do that. So, even in their shortfall, I've still got respect for what the Seahawks did yesterday.

I heard a very interesting take on Carroll this morning on the local sports talk show, which had an ex-Viking as host. And, after spending a fair bit of time around coaches and game management myself over the last four years, I can see his point. It was that Carroll probably had nothing to do with the call.

He said that given that you only have a certain amount of time between plays, by the time the assistant in charge of down and distance relays the information to the OC who makes the play call, the assistants in charge of personnel have to get the right players on the field to match the scheme and the defense has to make its substitutions. Had Carroll actually said he wanted a pass play when he said he did, all that would have had to have been changed, and Seattle would surely have had to use its time out to avoid a delay penalty. That makes a lot of sense to me.

The formation Seattle used -- two-receiver stack to the wide side, strong left to the short side - was designed for just the play called, which I have no doubt came from Darrell Bevell.

That said, you can still run from it. Just bring motion to the right and let Wilson run a zone read. Simple play. Let the defense choose which of Wilson or Lynch they want to play (odds are it would have been Lynch) and then let your running QB get to the corner. If it doesn't work, you've still got a time out or he might even get out of bounds to save clock. Any way you slice it, a pass play there was absolutely idiotic.

And Bevell has just had his name turned into a verb on social media.

After catching up with the Super Bowl this morning, I'll chip in with my two pence.

I don't support any particular NFL team, and I'm certainly not a Patriots fan, so that final minute was gutting to watch. It was indeed a terrible call by the Seahawks not to get the ball to Marshawn Lynch. Beast Mode could've beaten New England almost by himself, he was that good. Darrell Bevell will probably be having nightmares about that call for a long time - and it won't be any time soon that angry Seattle fans will stop vandalising his Wikipedia page.

It's incredible how much things can change in a fortnight. Seattle played superbly well to fight back from a precarious position in the NFC Championship game, but they choked in the final minute of the Super Bowl. I was very disappointed, although at least I got to watch a Super Bowl that really went down to the wire.

Back to proper football now, and deadline day has been a bit of a damp squib in my opinion.

One transfer did catch me out, though. Bolton Wanderers' young full-back Andy Kellett has gone on loan to Manchester United. No, really.

Tenthreeleader... what's that all about?

My guess is it has something to do with Saidy Janko going in the opposite direction. He's a right-sided midfielder and with Chung-Yong Lee signing for Crystal Palace he might wind up getting some games on the right side of midfield. Just a guess though.

It was my uncle's funeral today. It was, of course, a very emotional occasion, and I'm still feeling a little raw even now.

Funerals can also bring home the reality of mortality. To paraphrase the funeral director, we are all just leaves on the figurative tree of life. We've got to make the most of whatever time we have before we fall off the branch.

It was my uncle's funeral today. It was, of course, a very emotional occasion, and I'm still feeling a little raw even now.

Funerals can also bring home the reality of mortality. To paraphrase the funeral director, we are all just leaves on the figurative tree of life. We've got to make the most of whatever time we have before we fall off the branch.

I wish your funeral director had a better understanding of trees.

"A tree says: A kernel is hidden in me, a spark, a thought, I am life from eternal life. The attempt and the risk that the eternal mother took with me is unique, unique the form and veins of my skin, unique the smallest play of leaves in my branches and the smallest scar on my bark. I was made to form and reveal the eternal in my smallest special detail.

A tree says: My strength is trust. I know nothing about my fathers, I know nothing about the thousand children that every year spring out of me. I live out the secret of my seed to the very end, and I care for nothing else. I trust that God is in me. I trust that my labor is holy. Out of this trust I live.

When we are stricken and cannot bear our lives any longer, then a tree has something to say to us: Be still! Be still! Look at me! Life is not easy, life is not difficult. Those are childish thoughts. Let God speak within you, and your thoughts will grow silent." - Hermann Hesse

Our best to you, sir.

They are profound. I thought they might be appropriate for you.

Grief is hard. I still grieve for my father, who died two and a half years ago. You never know how it is going to hit you or when. Focusing on the eternal makes it at least somewhat bearable in my own case.

We are far more than a cog in the machine, a leaf on the tree waiting to die, a grain of sand on a beach. We are, as the Scripture says so beautifully, "fearfully and wonderfully made".

Archived