FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

If anyone else is interested in the 15-1 type sign up let me know as I will be sorting the database this weekend.

Also any of you that doing the predictions league please note that there will be a quick turnover of fixtures during the festive season so please make sure you check the thread regularly 

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the 2030 World Cup and season is over, I'm finally 'upgrading' from Windows 7 to 10. FM 07 should still work, but if it doesn't then it's ended perfectly with Newcastle finally overturned.

Not looking forward to Windows 10. Time to strap myself in and hopefully come out the other side...

I had no choice, PC. May God have mercy on my soul.

I did manage to get the FM07 demo working on Windows 10 after I upgraded, but I had to fiddle with some settings in Compatibility Mode. I've also got CM99/00 and CM00/01 running more or less fine.

Unfortunately, not all games from the 2000s will work on all W10 systems. Some games (especially the EA games I tried) simply will not work at all, no matter what you do.

All the best.

8 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I did manage to get the FM07 demo working on Windows 10 after I upgraded, but I had to fiddle with some settings in Compatibility Mode. I've also got CM99/00 and CM00/01 running more or less fine.

Unfortunately, not all games from the 2000s will work on all W10 systems. Some games (especially the EA games I tried) simply will not work at all, no matter what you do.

All the best.

I tested it on some laptop and it worked straight away I think on there. It claimed the database was different and reverted to default, but I'm not doing a clean install, just upgrade, so shouldn't be a problem.

I guess there's always virtual PC for old games, but once FM 07 dies I'm gonna build / buy a Windows 95/98 PC speficially just to play a management game from my childhood. It only works with certain 90s hardware, so even virtual PC fails to trick it.

Edited by git2thachoppa

2 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

I guess there's always virtual PC for old games, but once FM 07 dies I'm gonna build / buy a Windows 98 PC speficially just to play a management game from my childhood. It only works with certain 90s hardware, so even virtual PC fails to trick it.

Yeah, I use a Windows 98 VirtualBox for playing some of my childhood games (like World Cup 98). That can't do 3D acceleration, so I have to resort to using my parents' old XP laptop for other games. Unfortunately, that laptop's now 13 years old and slower than a snail in treacle...

Happy New Year to everyone here at FMS.

2019 was absolutely dreadful for me personally, having lost two grandparents and - on Monday morning - my 13-year-old cat. On a brighter note, my sister had a little boy two weeks before Christmas, so I'm looking forward to seeing him grow up.

2020 gives me the chance to start again from a clean slate. I turn 30 in April so I'll be making a concerted effort to change my life for the better. I've also started making plans for a new FMS story (or two), which might hopefully see the light of day later this year. :)

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 14:09, CFuller said:

Happy New Year to everyone here at FMS.

2019 was absolutely dreadful for me personally, having lost two grandparents and - on Monday morning - my 13-year-old cat. On a brighter note, my sister had a little boy two weeks before Christmas, so I'm looking forward to seeing him grow up.

2020 gives me the chance to start again from a clean slate. I turn 30 in April so I'll be making a concerted effort to change my life for the better. I've also started making plans for a new FMS story (or two), which might hopefully see the light of day later this year. :)

hoping 2020 will be a better year for you!

Know what you mean having a new baby growing up to look forward to, I officially became a Funcle (yes that is Fun and Uncle slammed together) on the 2nd of this month!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I've still got my disk for FAPLFM 2000. I'd love to get into that game again one day, but 1) it won't run on my Windows 98 virtual machine and 2) though it does run on my parents' old Windows XP laptop, the the disk isn't in great shape, and I don't think I can risk it getting damaged. It's a problem, but one probably best discussed elsewhere.

Like here? :D

FAPLFM99 doesn't work in virtual machine either. Doesn't matter what Windows, if you're using newer hardware then it won't work. So I have to build or buy someone's old PC just to play it.

I did try FAPLFM 2000 in my journey trying to discover suitable alternatives but, although it's similar (as is EA's later 'Total Club Manager' games), FAPLFM99 is a completely different vibe with its bizarre slowed down opera menu music and stylish design. Plus it has that treble-winning Man Utd squad... I always released Wes Brown (not even transfer-listed) and bought 37-year-old Maradona (who was black).

Why not buy a new disc from Amazon or Ebay?

3 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:
Like here? :D

FAPLFM99 doesn't work in virtual machine either. Doesn't matter what Windows, if you're using newer hardware then it won't work. So I have to build or buy someone's old PC just to play it.

I did try FAPLFM 2000 in my journey trying to discover suitable alternatives but, although it's similar (as is EA's later 'Total Club Manager' games), FAPLFM99 is a completely different vibe with its bizarre slowed down opera menu music and stylish design. Plus it has that treble-winning Man Utd squad... I always released Wes Brown (not even transfer-listed) and bought 37-year-old Maradona (who was black).

Why not buy a new disc from Amazon or Ebay?

I always managed Arsenal or Millwall on that game and can't remember too much about my exploits (except that my biggest signing for Arsenal was... Maksym Romaschenko. Who's he? Exactly).

Buying a new disc is an option, but I... don't have a great disc safety record when it comes to laptop CD drives (I've still got FM discs which have the marks to prove it). I've also considered (and unsuccessfully tried) another method, but that probably can't be discussed on these forums.

22 minutes ago, CFuller said:

I always managed Arsenal or Millwall on that game and can't remember too much about my exploits (except that my biggest signing for Arsenal was... Maksym Romaschenko. Who's he? Exactly).

Buying a new disc is an option, but I... don't have a great disc safety record when it comes to laptop CD drives (I've still got FM discs which have the marks to prove it). I've also considered (and unsuccessfully tried) another method, but that probably can't be discussed on these forums.

How about an external CD drive?

7 hours ago, jbutton said:

Hello, Newbie here. Currently living in China and pretty much stuck indoors pumping hours into FM because of the virus, discovered this forum and I'm gonna give it a go here. 

Hello Sir, and welcome. Stay safe mate.

I lived in Shanghai for a year (thankfully not any more now). Hope you're finding life in China well.

11 hours ago, jbutton said:

Hello, Newbie here. Currently living in China and pretty much stuck indoors pumping hours into FM because of the virus, discovered this forum and I'm gonna give it a go here. 

Welcome jbutton...have a look around and looking forward to a story maybe

2 hours ago, BenArsenal said:

Hope everyone's well, now that coronavirus has hit Europe.

Scary **** this.

The death rate has been pitiful, let alone outside ground zero and of people who aren't old, there's still been no deaths in Europe as far as I know, and we're about to go into March.

As someone who lived through the CJD, ebola, SARS, swine/bird/donkey/hippopotamus flu etc. armageddons this hasn't been surprising.

Once the flu dies off or a cure is found, way more people will have died of regular flu here.

It seems to be quite dependent on each country's healthcare systems. Here in Singapore we have had about 90 cases but no deaths, but I put that down to our healthcare system being relatively robust and responsive to attend to those early cases (and also partly because we're small so slightly easier to control movements).

You only need to look at Iran to see how a slightly less developed system can allow it to spiral out of control.

9 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

The death rate has been pitiful, let alone outside ground zero and of people who aren't old, there's still been no deaths in Europe as far as I know, and we're about to go into March.

As someone who lived through the CJD, ebola, SARS, swine/bird/donkey/hippopotamus flu etc. armageddons this hasn't been surprising.

Once the flu dies off or a cure is found, way more people will have died of regular flu here.

Italy 29 france 2 UK 1 albeit a expat in japan which is often counted as the cruise liner as 'nation' as well are the European dead to date with most cases and deaths being in italy currently

According to the NHS i had swine flu twice

Edited by Bagpuss

31 minutes ago, swagat sinha said:

All good Mr. Wilson, it's been quite a few.. checks monocle.. years since I haunted these shores. I see the Mark Wilson Chronicles are still going strong. Looking to re-start FM plus writing.. running FM 19 currently

Looking forward to reading your story when its posted mate

37 minutes ago, swagat sinha said:

All good folks. How've you all been? It's been ages. I was showing the draft of the ill fated Utopia sign up league I ran to my wife, and nostalgia struck :D

I've been alright. Lots have happened. Too much to elaborate here really.

• 2 weeks later...

So, football is cancelled. :eek:

Who knows what will happen next. But if I were FIFA/UEFA, here's what I would do:

1) Scrap Euro 2020. A cross continent tournament like that doesn't seem particularly wise right now. Either that or postpone to next year

2) For domestic league seasons, if they can be resumed by the second half of this year (the earliest I think this virus will subside), then let it finish from where we left off. For the 2021 season, run it during the calendar year (say, Feb till Nov). Do the same for 2022 and it will play nicely into the Qatar World Cup in the winter. Six month break before starting on the 2023/2024 season.

3) If football can only be resumed early in 2021 (plausible), then continue then from where we left off. That means the 2019/2020 season will end in 2021. From there then we go back to business as usual for 2021/2022.

Either way, we will lose an entire season (2022/2023 for the first scenario, 2020/2021 for the second), but I think it's fairer to do it later down the line rather than to scrap the existing season with so many games already played.

Also, clubs should not allowed to make changes to their playing roster (i.e. no transfers in or out) during this virus period, to ensure maximum fairness when play resumes.

Edited by BenArsenal

The problem with that is contracts as there will be a lot of players whose will expire at the end of the current season. Probably not many in the top leagues but especially in the lower leagues. The lower leagues are especially going to be affected with no income and players on contract still having to be paid. Granted football is all a minor issue in all of this pandemic but it does make you wonder how everything sporting wise is going to be solved fairly.

1 hour ago, salkster2102 said:

The problem with that is contracts as there will be a lot of players whose will expire at the end of the current season. Probably not many in the top leagues but especially in the lower leagues. The lower leagues are especially going to be affected with no income and players on contract still having to be paid. Granted football is all a minor issue in all of this pandemic but it does make you wonder how everything sporting wise is going to be solved fairly.

I wanted to add on to this actually. I think for player contracts and such, those expiring at the end of this season to be automatically extended to whenever the 2019/2020 season ends up finishing.

In a way the players are sort of on enforced leave/break right now, and they cannot be let go until the current season officially ends, whenever that may be.

I assume the players contracts are to a specific date though rather than a season. Maybe the leagues can hold a players registration to their current team so they can't play for another team during the current season.