FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

11 hours ago, tenthreeleader said:

Could be worse, Salky. You could be Nuno.

Feel a bit sorry for him to be fair. Entered a bad atmosphere with the Kane saga and think he was probably about 10th choice after all the rejections Spurs had. Was never going to work out for him there. Very surprised Conté has gone there after rejecting in the summer. Either Spurs have suddenly vowed him a war chest or Daniel Levy has held him at gunpoint.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon folks

Been a while since I've posted, due to various issues, but hopefully I should be around a bit more

I'll be spending the next few days catching up on stories from you guys as I've got a week off work before the Christmas rush

Just wanted to say that I hope everyone is well and that it's good to be back

Sherm

Hey guys, so maybe you remember me from my aborted start-ups over a decade ago, but I'm back on the forum more regularly and reading your guys' work for inspiration to potentially give writing FM stories another go. First things first though, gotta get a new computer and FM 22 up and running.

5 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

Just need Terk and Peacemaker to turn up and we've got pretty much the set mate

Terk, wow that's a blast from the past! Just gotta say though Mark what you and ThreeTen and Neil have turned this part of the forum into is the reason I wanted to come back and give it a try. I was really more involved in the Challenges forum through the old sign-ups of the time, but this is one of the most inviting and supportive spots on here.

It's funny, I was going back through some of my start-ups from college and thought there was some good there to uncover, but then I looked at one story, literally the first one I tried called "The Diary" of a exchange student who bought a journal of a manager, and the first post under it is, "seems good, but you should write longer posts", then some more supportive posts but I won't lie if it didn't color some things for me.

At that time I was trying to be something I wasn't as a writer or as a pretty new player to FM so the results weren't matching the story I wanted to tell. I think now, looking back at what I was doing I had the right ideas I just wanted to game to fit the story and not the other way round. There's nothing wrong with failing, but trying to develop a certain type of character from the jump and then the game not leading into that can be frustrating.

I guess this ramble is to say that when I do start writing again, and I hope it will be soon in my free time, I'm likely going to focus on a small self contained story, not some sprawling epic over a multitude of seasons and maybe try to keep the character pool small. Admittedly, I'm not ever going to be a piece by piece teller like you Mark or a detailed tactician or detail man with stats, but what I hope to bring to whatever I write is a good sense of world building and character creation. That's my goal and dream with what ever happens next.

I can do you another to SMSL ;) I'll leave you some time to recall what the full name was.

For the record i have met all of them a few times and even 'stole' some old lasses seat on train to one of the meetings so i was at the same table as SMSL on the way from Devon to Scotland.

Stephanie McMahons Secret Lover to give him his full name. We were at meet ups in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Groniengen aka Raptors house, and Torbay where SMSL lived and coached a football team which we went to probably doubling the crowd from the usual numbers. There was only a few of us too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Hope everyone is well. Just popped in to gauge interest in a couple of us potentially getting together to play an online game for a few hours one evening a week. Just drop me a message if so. :) 

4 hours ago, gavrenwick said:

Hey guys. Hope everyone is well. Just popped in to gauge interest in a couple of us potentially getting together to play an online game for a few hours one evening a week. Just drop me a message if so. :) 

Id love to mate but unfortunately I have the fun of working nights

This is probably just a random musing, but I realised that of the few times I've fired up a football management game in recent times (FM or otherwise), I find myself enjoying the buying and selling players part more than the actual managing a football team part.

I have the in-game editor for FM17 and what I'd do is just buy up random players and send them on loan all over the globe, to see how they get on. A bit like a Chelsea on steroids.

I wonder if there's a market for a game like Football Transfer Manager, or Football Director of Football, or some such. :lol:

Yeah I get that. :D

It's an odd thing really. It's not like I'm an aspiring 'Arry Redknapp, always trying to wheel and deal. It's actually more the fact that I'm quite into geography and travel, and it's a bit of a fun thing to imagine what all that globe-trotting is like. Like when I send someone out on loan to, say, New York or Stockholm or Rio, I kinda visualise in my head what that guy is experiencing and in a way live vicariously through him.

Yeah I'm probably a strange dude...

Edited by BenArsenal

On 04/12/2021 at 11:31, BenArsenal said:

This is probably just a random musing, but I realised that of the few times I've fired up a football management game in recent times (FM or otherwise), I find myself enjoying the buying and selling players part more than the actual managing a football team part.

I have the in-game editor for FM17 and what I'd do is just buy up random players and send them on loan all over the globe, to see how they get on. A bit like a Chelsea on steroids.

I wonder if there's a market for a game like Football Transfer Manager, or Football Director of Football, or some such. :lol:

Just play Touch, or a full version with a instant result skin. I did same with a Partizan save where I was just playing to develop talent, it was fun. :D Plus being the best team in the league means no concerns tbh.

On 06/12/2021 at 14:27, tenthreeleader said:

I've thought about playing Touch (which I have on Switch for a prior version) but for some reason, the thought of chewing out my reserve central defenders for poor training habits every week is more powerful to me.

:D

It's funny you say that Mark, I got asked for part of that survey for long time FM players and I told them since I don't have a non-work computer I experimented with Mobile and Touch but I said it was just too different for me to get into, it felt like FM lite for people who are engrained with the old tried and true full version. It was a fun hour long conversation.

3 hours ago, bergtaur said:

It's funny you say that Mark, I got asked for part of that survey for long time FM players and I told them since I don't have a non-work computer I experimented with Mobile and Touch but I said it was just too different for me to get into, it felt like FM lite for people who are engrained with the old tried and true full version. It was a fun hour long conversation.

yeah while I play FM Touch at work on my ipad. It doesn't feel the same. 

I think I've also said before I find it harder. At least psychologically. I don't feel I have the same control as I do in the main version. No pitch line shouting for one. Makes me feel that once I've made my substitutions then its over to the players and I can't influence proceedings as much. 

On 20/11/2021 at 07:30, Bagpuss said:

I can do you another to SMSL ;) I'll leave you some time to recall what the full name was.

For the record i have met all of them a few times and even 'stole' some old lasses seat on train to one of the meetings so i was at the same table as SMSL on the way from Devon to Scotland.

Clearly that's lies, I know SMSL, never heard of you Keith.

On 05/12/2021 at 23:53, gavrenwick said:

Just play Touch, or a full version with a instant result skin. I did same with a Partizan save where I was just playing to develop talent, it was fun. :D Plus being the best team in the league means no concerns tbh.

Well, apparently FM Touch has been discontinued except on Nintendo Switch. Bummer.

On 14/12/2021 at 19:21, bergtaur said:

I would like to be thanked as my return heralded the return of the great @Peacemaker7 :). Now If only I could write like him... guess I'd need to buy a machine and copy of the game though.

Thanks Bergtaur you must be indeed be the herald of greatness ;) Dont listen to 10-3, I need all the butter I can get! :p

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 28/02/2022 at 17:24, BenArsenal said:

If Russia do end up getting kicked out of world football, I wonder how that might be reflected in FM?

transferring politics into any kind of sport is dangerous. 

I have no problems with teams / nations being removed due to their actions within a sport. IE any number of fan related behaviour offences / doping / match fixing. etc

But removing them due to reasons outside of sport. Sets a very strong precedent.

Just in the Premier league, Being pals with a Russian dictator is bad? But being part of a regime that beheads journalists is ok? Arsenal's owner, owns a sports channel that broadcasts hunting and killing of African animals.

Now I know where I would rank those three in terms of most to least unacceptable. But that's the problem. Any violation outside sport is always going to be subjective. 

With regards to football I'd rather see Russia have its coefficients for European competitions wiped. So that the minimum number of teams enter the competitions. And they do so at the earliest possible stage. They also receive no financial benefit of any kind for taking part. Basically they are fulfilling their duty to the competition. And that is it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty interesting draw for the World Cup there then. Some thoughts, broken down group by group.

Group A

I think the Netherlands lucked out here. If they don't screw things up (never a guarantee) they should win this group easy. Senegal should be favourites for second, but I actually wouldn't underestimate hosts Qatar, as they are the reigning Asian champions and did quite well to reach the semis of the 2021 Gold Cup as invitees, so they are well capable of pulling off a surprise or two. Ecuador are decent but they won't have enough to emerge from the group.

1. Netherlands
2. Senegal
3. Qatar
4. Ecuador

Group B

I think Wales will probably be the ones to come through the play-offs, but man, that's one hell of an incentive for Scotland ain't it?! It's quite a politically charged group too if you look at it, with England-USA and USA-Iran all potentially capable to be pretty spicy. Or imagine if Ukraine actually qualifies instead, that would be quite some story wouldn't it? But I think England will have enough to win the group, with the Americans to follow in second.

1. England
2. USA
3. Wales
4. Iran

Group C

Looking at the main draw, it seems that most of the top seeds got pretty straightforward groups, with a couple of exceptions (I'll come to that later). Argentina will walk this group, with perhaps only Mexico posing any kind of potential threat. Poland, despite the presence of Lewandowski, are not a great international team, and they'll likely face an early exit again. Saudi Arabia will be the usual whipping boys.

1. Argentina
2. Mexico
3. Poland
4. Saudi Arabia

Group D

Another group with a yet-to-be-determined finalist, but I think Australia will be the ones to get past UAE and then Peru. After that though they'll find themselves in a super tricky group with holders France and a Christian Eriksen-inspired Denmark. As much fun as it would be to see the 'holders get knocked out in the groups' streak continue, I don't think it will happen here, and France have enough quality to lead a European one-two qualification. Tunisia will just make up the numbers.

1. France
2. Denmark
3. Australia
4. Tunisia

Group E

The third group with a as-yet-unknown-finalist, I'd actually like very much for New Zealand to come through, and then upset a few apple carts here. While I think they might be capable of beating Costa Rica, I'm afraid the plucky Kiwis might not have enough to deal with both Germany and Spain. Japan are no pushovers too, and for me this is probably the closest we have to a Group of Death in this World Cup.

1. Germany
2. Spain
3. Japan
4. New Zealand

Group F

In contrast, Group F seems to be a pretty meh group. Belgium and Croatia, while pretty good, are not quite top-tier European teams (at least not at the current moment anyway). Morocco are a fairly good African side but they too aren't really quite elite level (unlike say Senegal or Ghana). Canada will be super-motivated and it will be interesting to see how they get on. I reckon this group will be tight and any of the four teams will fancy their chances of qualifying for the next round.

1. Belgium
2. Croatia
3. Canada
4. Morocco

Group G

As with Argentina, Brazil will very much like the looks of their group. Switzerland, Serbia and Cameroon shouldn't pose too many problems, and I won't be surprised if Brazil qualify with three wins out of three. Second place will be fought between the remaining three, and personally I'd like to see Cameroon do well to upset the European order. They'll probably have no better chance to do so than in this group.

1. Brazil
2. Cameroon
3. Switzerland
4. Serbia

Group H

The final group, and I actually think this will be much trickier for Portugal than it looks on the surface. Uruguay are always dangerous, while Ghana is capable of springing a surprise or two. And you cannot rule out South Korea too, as they do have quality in their side. This is another group that will be close, and while the obvious favourites might be Portugal and Uruguay, the other two teams cannot be discounted.

1. Portugal
2. Uruguay
3. South Korea
4. Ghana

That will give us a Round of 16 lineup of:

Netherlands vs USA
Argentina vs Denmark
Germany vs Croatia
Brazil vs Uruguay
England vs Senegal
France vs Mexico
Belgium vs Spain
Portugal vs Cameroon

I'll get to those another time.

I won't even begin to predict the World Cup until we know all the teams. The Group D picture in particular could be very different depending on whether Peru, UAE or Australia qualifies.

England's group looks very interesting, and much tougher than people realise. The USA have some top talents coming through and could go pretty far, though Iran were pretty close to knocking out Portugal or Spain in 2018 and won't be pushovers. As for that potential 4th team, we already know how tricky Wales and Scotland can be at a major tournament, and Ukraine is a fairytale waiting to happen if they can get through. We should win the group... but then again, we said the same things in 2010.

Edited by CFuller

• 2 weeks later...