FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd seen everything in football. That really was unbelievable.

I'd love to see Ajax in the Final as well, but if it's the Spuds, then I'll definitely be rooting for the Reds. They are just a joy to watch.

On 13 April 2019 at 06:05, git2thachoppa said:

I was playing FIFA 17's story mode and that game has the most realistic AI ever...

The final game is the cup final against your ex-friend and hated rivals. The stage is set for you to become a hero and score the winning goal in a big happy ending.

Except I was a Man Utd player, which meant Zlatan was on my team. So of course Zlatan scores a hat trick and steals my thunder. :lol:

I'm of the opinion that the only team to realistically play as in that mode is Chelsea, because they're the closest team to Clapham Common (where the Hunter family are implied to live). Imagine having to commute from there to Carrington every morning...

I would be surprised if this hadn't happened so much in just the past 2/3 years.

Its got to the point where if a team wins the 1st leg 3-0, your gut has to go "ooo, that's not much of a cushion, 2nd leg will be tense". 4-0 is just tempting fate to lose!

The Champions League has gone crazy in the last two years. Big leads are no guarantee of progress now. That's three seasons in a row (PSG-Barca, Barca-Roma, Barca-Liverpool) we've seen these huge turnarounds.

It's just bizarre.

1 hour ago, Rien102 said:

How's the hangover? :D

Still grinning at work the next day. Most of my colleagues hate Liverpool so it's very satisfying to hear them begrudge us this achievement.

58 minutes ago, Dalbeider said:

And the other way around. :(

I feel for the Barca fans who travelled expecting to see what should have been a comfortable qualification. Their team completely let them down in every aspect possible. Attitude from the management and the players to just play the same tactics as the first leg when Liverpool should have won that game by a few. A lack of fight for a team who had just been rested at the weekend. And to concede a Sunday league goal for the winning goal. Liverpool were brilliant but that was as poor as i've ever seen Barcelona. Can lose a three goal lead once in the champions league, that's just football. But not two years in a row serious questions need to be asked there at the management. I love Messi but he isn't a captain which is another reason I think Argentina struggle. If my team is struggling I don't want to see my captain walking about not showing an example to fight. At 31 he isn't going to start to either. I can see Barca struggling in a few years like Real Madrid as they've got Piqué, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, Vidal, Messi, Suarez all in their early thirties. Coutinho doesn't look like he's fitting in so that's a massive set of boots to fill in in a few years as I didn't rate anyone else in that squad last night.

8 hours ago, BenArsenal said:

The Champions League has gone crazy in the last two years. Big leads are no guarantee of progress now. That's three seasons in a row (PSG-Barca, Barca-Roma, Barca-Liverpool) we've seen these huge turnarounds.

It's just bizarre.

And the close ones like Real-Juventus. Even taking any lead away from home doesn't matter, like with Ajax-Real.

I figure it's down to the death of defending and a different mentality today. Players behind feel offended and have impetus, players with a huge cushion are complacent and assume things should be handed to them if they do some work. And when 2 domestic juggernauts with millionaire kids used to nearly never losing face off, the team from behind is adamant they're going to win and has that drive, and the one in front assumes they should win and doesn't have it.

Edited by git2thachoppa

That's exactly what I was about to say. As a neutral, the Liverpool comeback was uplifting, the Spurs comeback was needlessly cruel. There is no god!

Although after Ajax beat Real, I wanted them to win. They played incredibly sexy football, 'like Brazil' stuff. And they had Tadic, who I liked after he captained my Busan side at 39 years old. :lol:

It sounds silly but I know how Pochettino was feeling when he was crying, I almost did the same when we scored a same last-second equaliser to save the title in FM 07. :D

What the actual f***.

I posted this on Twitter, and maybe I've got my tin hat on, but this feels like too much of a 'coincidence'. This is happening far too many times, and it's starting to look a bit dubious.

It just feels like UEFA thinking the CL is losing its appeal (thanks to Real Madrid endlessly winning it) and they needed some 'drama' to sustain interest, until their desired 'Super League' comes to fruition.

8 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

That's exactly what I was about to say. As a neutral, the Liverpool comeback was uplifting, the Spurs comeback was needlessly cruel. There is no god!

Pretty much this. I was rooting for Liverpool against Barça (Alexander-Arnold's corner was pure genius), but I was supporting Ajax against Tottenham. It would've been nice to see a team from a less prestigious league reach the Final for once.

In fact, I was probably more nervous watching the closing stages of this match than any Arsenal match this season. When Moura completed his hat-trick in the last seconds, I felt sick to my stomach, as if the Spuds had scored a last-minute winner to deny us the league title.

I'll definitely be a Liverpool fan come the Final. Partly because they play such great, entertaining football, and partly because I couldn't stand the sight of seeing a Tottenham captain lift Ol' Big Ears before an Arsenal skipper does.

And God forbid that Jermaine Jenas is on co-commentary duties in Madrid. As a pundit goes, he's about as impartial and palatable as Lord Sugar. (Steve McManamanamanaman is not much better, to be fair.)

36 minutes ago, BenArsenal said:

What the actual f***.

I posted this on Twitter, and maybe I've got my tin hat on, but this feels like too much of a 'coincidence'. This is happening far too many times, and it's starting to look a bit dubious.

It just feels like UEFA thinking the CL is losing its appeal (thanks to Real Madrid endlessly winning it) and they needed some 'drama' to sustain interest, until their desired 'Super League' comes to fruition.

"Wake up, sheeple!" :D

For what it's worth, and for all the Champions League's faults, if it is ever replaced by a breakaway Super League (or even if it is no longer meritocratic), then I will probably be done with elite professional football.

I'll probably lean towards Liverpool as it's not their first final and Klopp has an awful record in finals, but it'd be surreal seeing Tottenham Hotspur be European champions and would be the ultimate nail in the coffin of Wenger and his numerous FA Cups and self-proclaimed 'Top 4 trophies'.

4 hours ago, BenArsenal said:

What the actual f***.

I don't know how you can rig that though. If Spurs were meant to comeback, it wouldn't have happened in the last second from an opportunity that luckily lead to a shot that luckily was on target.

And who would be in on the Liverpool / Barcelona one? Barca missed all their chances and Liverpool took advantage of the awful concentration and 'marking' that's such the norm today that teams have to shove bodies in the middle with 3 centre-backs and 1-3 midfielders helping out + the 2 full-backs that have to be wing-backs to compensate for the mass of humanity in the middle.

Guys their is only around three more weeks left to vote in the Hall of Fame preliminary round. We currently have five votes from the same people that always do. 

Also still need names for the FMS Marvels side (Pm me any names you want to add)

Cheers Mark

On 08/05/2019 at 21:59, CFuller said:

I hate football. :(

Okay, I now love football and hate it at the same time. :D:(

It would be just typical if Chelsea beat us in the Europa League Final and Spurs won that other cup, wouldn't it?

5 hours ago, CFuller said:

Okay, I now love football and hate it at the same time. :D:(

It would be just typical if Chelsea beat us in the Europa League Final and Spurs won that other cup, wouldn't it?

Nooo...

We're already being screwed over by UEFA (only 6,000 tickets allocated), plus it looks like Mkhi won't be allowed to even enter the country. Baku is such a poor choice of venue for a major cup final. Let's win it to shove it back up their faces.

Right gentlemen the Predictions League and Fantasy football tables have been completed and congratulations on those who won this season.

As per the norm I will be taking my usual end of season break from posting on the forums. Will be back towards the end of the month to see if anyone else has voted in the Hall of Fame Preliminary Round

7 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

to see if anyone else has voted in the Hall of Fame Preliminary Round

Dang it's been a month before I found out about this.

Probably should notify active writers about it. I think this was a problem discussed last year.

Wait OMFG.

Chris Hughton sacked???

Absolute uproar and I'm in total shock. The Gus sacking was weird, Garcia resigning was iffy, but I thought the chairman was better than this.

The players are going to be unhappy too. Stunned. Absolutely stunned.

3 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Dang it's been a month before I found out about this.

Probably should notify active writers about it. I think this was a problem discussed last year.

As its pinned and highlighted at the top of this forum page I didn't think people would miss it. 

2 minutes ago, mark wilson27 said:

As its pinned and highlighted at the top of this forum page I didn't think people would miss it. 

I forgot to mention that a huge majority of regular forum users naturally skip over stickies and rule threads.

It evidently did me no good.

Source: some poll I did years ago.

Edited by git2thachoppa

16 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Wait OMFG.

Chris Hughton sacked???

Absolute uproar and I'm in total shock. The Gus sacking was weird, Garcia resigning was iffy, but I thought the chairman was better than this.

The players are going to be unhappy too. Stunned. Absolutely stunned.

Very strange this one and i can see Brighton sinking back down to the Championship now. Hughton doing as well as he can with a club that size and are probably overachieving just being in the Premier League. Seen this happen many times and more often than not it backfires. 

45 minutes ago, salkster2102 said:

Very strange this one and i can see Brighton sinking back down to the Championship now. Hughton doing as well as he can with a club that size and are probably overachieving just being in the Premier League. Seen this happen many times and more often than not it backfires. 

Yes we're now just another filthy yo-yo club that sacks 2 managers a season, while the guy who gets sacked goes to a bigger job precisely because of his record with the club... who sacked him for his record!

18 hours ago, Manxie_Ash said:

Damn, I missed out on posting at least once in every community thread since joining... How is everyone?

Hey man. Good to see you. I'm alright. New job and everything.

How's you?

2 minutes ago, Drogba11CFC said:

You know how FM sometimes throws up bizarre results?

Take a look at the latest post in my story (unless you're a Man Utd fan).

As a Man Utd fan who now has the Man Utd job and in the game is 2 seasons ahead of my latest story's entry, just rest assured I can match or top your Man Utd there. >_>

On 15/05/2019 at 06:38, Drogba11CFC said:

You know how FM sometimes throws up bizarre results?

Take a look at the latest post in my story (unless you're a Man Utd fan).

Nothing bizarre about that I reckon! :lol:

On 27/04/2019 at 17:13, CFuller said:

Romford FC - my hometown club - were relegated this afternoon. :(

They've been in the Isthmian League Division 1 North (in the 8th tier) for a decade and have never been much better than mid-table. Not having a ground of their own or any money to pay players eventually caught up with the Boro, who've been battling relegation for the last few seasons.

They pulled off a great escape last season, and they battled bravely from a difficult position this time around... but they left it just too late. Relegated on goal difference.

So Romford will be back in the 9th tier next season, in the Essex Senior League. Hopefully in 12 months time, I'll have something more positive to write about, especially if the Boro can get their hands on Big Duncan Greenwood. :D

Romford FC update: they've been given a reprieve and are staying in the Isthmian North:)

Glad I didn't watch it and just skipped through the YouTube live later.

It's a weird trophy as Chelsea already qualified and it'll mean nothing by the summer.

It ruins Arsenal's season though. Wenger would've loved it since top 4 is a trophy! It's literally that! Up to Emery to build his team now. Moyes did worse in his Man Utd spell and still deserved a second season. No need to keep Ozil. He's not a luxury player if he's not winning trophies or pulling them into the top 4, he's just an expensive one that doesn't do much against the bigger teams.

Edited by git2thachoppa

Yeah, as much as I liked Özil when he was at his very best, it's time we moved on from him. There are surely younger, hungrier playmakers out there (and I include Smith Rowe in that) who can fill the void. Also, there's no point keeping Özil around if we have no idea whether Emery will make him captain or leave him out of the matchday squad.

More importantly, we need at least two new defenders - preferably not 30-something has-beens who've never played in England before (see Lichtsteiner).

Edited by CFuller

Don't get me started on Morgan or Corbyn. :rolleyes:

But yeah, we deserved one hell of a beating. Eden Hazard played with more spirit and hunger on his own last night than all our starting outfield players put together. He's been truly exceptional in the Premier League for the past seven years, and if he does leave, he will be missed (though probably not by some Arsenal fans :p).

15 minutes ago, Drogba11CFC said:

There's actually something that's been on my mind ever since you wrote "Sometimes, Love is not Enough". Am I right in thinking that "We Are The Gooners" was based on ArsenalFanTV?

Spot on. Turns out they are more like Billy Khan than I thought they would be. :D :(

In case it isn't obvious, I can't stand AFTV, fam.

On 30/05/2019 at 04:49, CFuller said:

Don't ask me about tonight.

Trophies and Champions League football are overrated anyway.

Frankly, I'm just fed up with UEFA, after all the shambles of this season.

Screw the Champions League. I'd rather we go without their corrupt, tainted money.