FMS Community Thread Episode VIII: Disneyland

tenthreeleader

1 hour ago, salkster2102 said:

I assume the players contracts are to a specific date though rather than a season. Maybe the leagues can hold a players registration to their current team so they can't play for another team during the current season. 

Yup. Something along those lines.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is where you draw the line and the unknown timeframe. Not just football but generally.

If you really wanted to protect everyone, there'd be an order for everyone to stay inside for a few weeks. But that's not viable. Preposterous given we don't do the same for 'regular flu' every winter. But doing nothing looks bad because the news is keeping count of every death for this specific virus.

Doing this halfway crap just seems like an attempt to look like something's being done and hope it all tides over. It goes with the general mentality of a politician - don't waste money preventing things that haven't happened yet (only after!) and pass on problems to the next shift while blaming it on the previous.

If you're not playing now, we're not playing for months, maybe years, unless a u-turn in logic is made.

After a few months, unless people are kept scared enough, they're just gonna get pissed off at not being to live their normal life or even earn a wage. People with 'flu symptoms' in March are going "lol you guys I don't have coronavirus, jokes m8" and going about their business. 1 person who doesn't know they have it pushes a door to a shop, that gets passed onto hundreds after him/her, for just 1 person in 1 shop in a small town. You can't stop it. Stopping winter flus are impossible so forget this. You can lessen it but you can lessen everything if you just stay indoors forever. Yet in winter, if you have a flu that kills old people, most bosses tell you to come in and get arsey if you don't. Where's the line?

Edited by git2thachoppa

I hear you and the main problem is I don't think anyone knows what to do, even the government. It's alright saying just stay at home permanently but what is the exit strategy? For just about every problem that seems to crop up there's always a solution that someone can think of. But for the first time I don't think i've heard of an exit strategy anywhere. My Mrs is panicking about the future and for the first time I don't know how to reassure her because I simply have no idea what is going to happen, only that we just take it a day at a time and see what happens.

The problem is that 

1) This is much more contagious than flu

and

2) There's no vaccine yet

So the approach is to minimise spread, especially to vulnerable populations, and get it contained and controlled until a cure/vaccine is developed. It will take a while, but unfortunately this seems to be as much as we can do right now.

This is a global disaster, lots of people will suffer, either in health or financially. We just have to face it and deal with it as best as we can right now.

Right guys, obvioulsy as most will be aware Britain and most of the world has gone into pretty much a lockdown. Which means alot of you could be on your own or struggling with things.

If any of you need to talk feel free to PM me or add me on Facebook, if you cant find me on there PM me your name and I'll search for you as my setting means you might not be able to. 

Most important thing is to stay healthy and safe and get yourself on FM and keep your mind active.

Mark 

12 hours ago, mark wilson27 said:

So whats everyone doing to relieve the stress of not working if you have been told not too, or home schooling etc

Edit: Clean answers please hahaha

I've been at home the past couple of weeks but I still gotta work from home, so that mostly.

Outside of that, Netflix mostly. I've also decided to become a virtual delivery man when I downloaded Euro Truck Simulator 2...

11 hours ago, salkster2102 said:

Still having to work and im not a key worker or able to work from home :seagull:

I know the feelimg, Im pretty much living on 4hrs sleep a day. Finish work at 3am, get home n sleep by 4 then up at 8am for the girls to do home schooling. Only thing that is keeping me sane is doing my online facebook diary of me teaching the kids.

Have a look some people reckon its funny haha

I applied for Universal Credit and JSA. A lot of the hurdles usually there to trick people into getting sanctioned are gone as the government just wants everyone getting their benefits, a '180' to the usual approach of stalking, abuse and bullying. Hence why I've avoided being back on it for many years.

Also I found out I didn't get a refund for my taxes 4 years ago, and the deadline is in a week. Luckily the webchat found it instantly and apparently it's in the post. Hopefully.

Still working, being a key worker and all, those pregnant women don't deliver themselves (much is the pity!)

On 16/03/2020 at 20:30, git2thachoppa said:

If you really wanted to protect everyone, there'd be an order for everyone to stay inside for a few weeks. But that's not viable. Preposterous given we don't do the same for 'regular flu' every winter. But doing nothing looks bad because the news is keeping count of every death for this specific virus.

While I understand this sentiment, there isn't a great deal more to do at this point.

There isn't a vaccination for it yet (if there ever will be one) which means:

Anyone who fits the criteria for having it, has to be treated as though they have it.

Those people who do have it, have no concrete treatment that will guarantee will make them better, or in fact speed up their recovery, they are basically being kept as healthy as possible while they fight it off.

This means that you have a group of people who do have it (who can be kept together)

A group of people who may have it, who have to be isolated, but can't be kept with the people who do have it, because they would then certainly get it.

The normal group of patients who need caring for separate to both these groups.

What it basically comes down to is not having enough rooms, staff, equipment to safely care for all 3 groups, that is without factoring in the number of staff who are having to come into contact with it on a daily basis. If a critical number of staff are infected and have to be away from working at the hospital at any given time, then all groups of patients are in serious trouble, as the ability for the NHS to provide safe care becomes harder and harder.

In other news:

20200411_132523.thumb.jpg.357453862bd7382d6e8a8bf07069be4c.jpg

"Massive" Ginger Morris came off the bench today to score on his debut for Back Garden United. He scored a fabulous diving header which nutmegged the keeper and nestled in the hedge.

Jeers rose from the opposition supporters ( next door neighbours dog). Morris responded in true "Massive" style. Expect his urinating on the corner flag celebration to go viral.

Unfortunately the camerawoman missed all this as she was video calling her dad at the time

43 minutes ago, mark wilson27 said:

Guys the FMS HoF preliminary vote thread is open...You have a good couple of months so feel free to take your time...Lets try and get more than the few votes we had last year

Yeah. Especially since we're all stuck at home now. No excuses. :p

Hey folks

Hope you all are well? While I am temporarily off from my main  job, due to the situation at the moment, I'm not the sort of person to be able to sit still at home , so I went to Tesco and got myself a temporary job there helping out while they needed it. 

Just wanted to check in and wish everyone well and hope you're all OK. I have some spare time now so might begin a story and get some writing done - but as has been said, anyone needing a chat or anything then don't hesitate to PM me

Stay safe guys

Peace

Hey Sherm!

I've just returned from working in the US so I'm also in the boat of looking for temporary work, sitting at home is slowly draining me :lol: at least we're having decent weather I guess!

With FM16 being the last edition I'd purchased, I was trying to wait out for FM21 but boredom got the better of me and I am now the proud owner of a copy of FM20. I normally do a Chelsea save and an unemployed rags-to-riches style save, but for the first time ever I've started a save as manager of Manchester United! For me, United are at a real crossroads at the moment, it's set up as a really nice (although not too difficult) challenge.

Interesting one to try offspring. Being a city fan I can honestly say I've never managed United in any version of any game. Ever!

I am in the same boat as you, waiting for FM 2021 so at the moment I'm playing FM15. It was a game I always enjoyed, but I know a lot of people didn't

If you try your local supermarkets they may need staff, or a delivery driver or two if you have a license

On 27 March 2020 at 03:25, BenArsenal said:

I've been at home the past couple of weeks but I still gotta work from home, so that mostly.

Outside of that, Netflix mostly. I've also decided to become a virtual delivery man when I downloaded Euro Truck Simulator 2...

Get Promods.

stay safe everyone, 

must say i'm struggling to be motivated to do anything when I get home from work.

All my energy seems to be on getting through each day at the hospital, come home, sleep and repeat.

16 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

stay safe everyone, 

must say i'm struggling to be motivated to do anything when I get home from work.

All my energy seems to be on getting through each day at the hospital, come home, sleep and repeat.

Hang in there mate. Get as much rest as you can.

I'm on a retro tear and building a Windows 98 PC while playing WWE Day of Reckoning 2 on GameCube.

Mainly to play all the old Win 95/98 games I kept including obscure management games like EA Sports' The F.A. Premier League Manager 99 with its sleek presentation (yet creepy opera menu music) where you could buy a 37-year-old Maradona and stuff all the away fans in the corner surrounded by home fans at all sides.

maxresdefault.jpg

Also Ubisoft's Football World Manager where you can 'read' newspapers and manage in the Czech third division or some corner of Asia.

jpg

I remember back then I would regularly go in charity shops as there was always some obscure hidden gem of a management game.

I remember getting Zoo Interactive's Premier Manager 2002/03 where you have lots of meetings and watch the news.

919aV2flkTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

But the true gem was dinamit's Euro League Football. From the cover it just looks like some naff game:

54423-euro-league-football-windows-front

But inside was not only a management game, but you could PLAY the games long before FIFA and This Is Football had lower league football. It was commentated by GamesMaster's Dominik Diamond and had an addictive quiz 'match' game, at a time when football quiz games were being sold on their own on PS1. I got rid of it because I figured out the gameplay, could score curling corners into the goal, and 'instant result' was lies because I could put Michael Owen in goal and Phillip Mulryne up front and we'd win 3-0.

Edited by git2thachoppa

One of my favourite ever manager games was premier manager 98 on the PlayStation. It was fun and easy to play and you used to be able to offer house and car on a contract to get a player. 

LMA manager 2001 was and always will be the greatest though. It was fantastic and endless summers were spent between mine and my friends houses playing it

I never played euro league football ( in fact never heard of it) but I hope you have fun playing your retro games

On 27/04/2020 at 18:48, BenArsenal said:

Hang in there mate. Get as much rest as you can.

Cheers, got another two days at the grindstone and then I am free (as long as I don't get pulled in to cover demand) for 10 or so days.

Here's a slightly more cheery topic we can discuss: What made you support the team you currently support?

For me (not sure if I've told this tale before), I initially supported Arsenal for quite silly reasons.

My first encounter with football was the France 98 World Cup. I remember such highlights as Dennis Bergkamp's goal vs Argentina, a young Thierry Henry being tipped as the 'next big thing to watch', and a certain Davor Suker of Croatia whose name I thought was funny (I was 11 years old) but who ended up as tournament top scorer.

Following that, I had a copy of the Premier League sticker book, and Arsenal, being the first name in the book alphabetically, jumped out at me. So I literally picked the first team in the book as my favourite team.

I only casually followed Arsenal at that time, until the summer of 1999 when Arsenal signed, yes, Davor Suker. It was then that I felt, you know what, it's meant to be. Thierry Henry signed shortly after and that pretty much sealed the deal for me.

One of my most memorable first games I remember was that epic 3-2 turnaround at Chelsea where Kanu scored a hat-trick in the final 15 minutes. I literally jumped up and down on the sofa when that third goal went in during injury time.

For me with Man Utd, it was a case that a mate of mine forced me to watch the FA Cup final against Crystal Palace. I watched the game and with my mate being a United fan I went with them.  As they say  the rest is history.. My mate however was a class one glory supporter and changed his alligiance virtually every other season

My first footballing memory is probably Urruti stopping a penalty kick against Valladolid to win Barcelona's first league title in eleven years, back in 1985. I happened to be in the city with my parents at the time, and there was celebrations and cars honking like crazy all over the place. I guess I just wanted to be a part of all that joy, so that's what made me a Barça fan. Don't blame me, I was six at the time.

Of course that moment of light was followed by the endless darkness of five consecutive league titles for Hugo Sánchez-led Real Madrid, so it took a liiittle while for more joyous moments to come. But hey, it was worth the wait. :D

Edited by Dalbeider

My only exposure to, and interest from, football was FIFA 97 (the PC version).

I gravitated to Man Utd because of Cantona, Beckham, Schmeichel etc.. It wasn't even glory supporting as the first football I watched was the 1998 FA Cup final between Arsenal and Newcastle, so was after a disastrous season where everyone thought United were done and Fergie had lost it.

I had to get used to the players, as I was used to seeing Cantona, Coton, Pallister, McClair and Sharpe and had no idea who this Stam or Ronny Johnsen was. But I got obsessed with squads and data so it didn't take long till I knew not only that entire squad but everyone down to Sheffield Wednesday's too.

Some years later, I realised I should support my hometown club too, but any choices were 10 levels down and impossible to follow since this was before the internet got good and I didn't live there. Brighton were 10 miles away however so made sense to follow them.

Support England because I'm English, though I went through a period (about 2006 - 2014) were I didn't feel anything for them and hoped they fail to cause some upheaval. Didn't agree with anything the FA or the managers were doing and the team was filled with unlikeable criminals and chavs picked on name and club. I didn't support Northern Ireland but I watched their matches on the red button instead when they were beating everyone with Healy, especially for the refreshing commentary... not hard though compared to the dour Robbie Earle, Andy Townsend and a complacent BBC.

My father is Iranian so I supported them from the start, though again hard to follow after the '98 World Cup until internet made it easy. I also supported Republic of Ireland in 2001/02 because they were a likeable team and my great grandmother was Irish so I was 1/8th Irish, but I grew out of that since everyone is 1/8th Irish.

Edited by git2thachoppa

I was born in Newcastle, but we moved to Sheffield fairly young, so by the time I was turning 10, I was interested in football. Sheffield Wednesday were the closest one, but I never attached to them or Sheffield United, and my granddad said support Newcastle, they are your birth town club. So I did, and then a few months later we smashed Sheffield Wednesday 8-0, and that was the time in my life where I held the greatest amount of power over others. :D

Strange for my granddad to send me towards Newcastle, he was from there too and supported Man United. :herman:

I first got into watching football when I was 8, though I had been collecting Merlin Premier League stickers for about a year before then. After going through the '98 album, I first thought I'd lean towards supporting Everton (for absolutely no reason). Of course, being from north-east London, that would've been a bit of problem.

Arsenal were more local to me, and they happened to be doing well at the time. The first two football matches I watched on TV were the FA Cup Semi vs Wolves and the Final vs Newcastle. When my dad revealed at around that time that he supported Arsenal as a boy, I decided to support them as well. (Coincidentally, I have an uncle on my mum's side who also follows the Gunners.)

Then, when I was 12, my class went on a school trip to Millwall's ground, where our tour guide was a player with the women's team (she also signed my first autograph :)). I loved it, and about two weeks later, we were back at The Den to watch Millwall play Leicester (my first live football match). It finished 2-2, and I've adopted Millwall as my second club since.

Internationally, I've always supported England through thick and thin. I also like to see the other home nations do well - even Scotland. I don't really have a huge affinity towards anyone else, as my parents and grandparents are all Londoners, though my mum had Scottish and Irish grandparents.

Having been born at the start of the 90’s, I was introduced to football in the mid 90’s when life was so much simpler :lol: my choice of team quite literally came down to the fact that blue was my favourite colour. I narrowed it down to Everton or Chelsea and went for Chelsea because I had a cousin who supported them.

As much as I’ve loved the Abramovich era of the club, I have really fond memories of pre-Abramovich Chelsea and I feel sorry for the newer generation of Chelsea fans that never got to appreciate Gianfranco Zola in full flow.

The Premier League at the time of Zola, Bergkamp, Keane, Shearer etc. was just something else!

Edited by Offspring8

When I was six, my dad took me to a work colleague's garage sale, and we picked up a copy of Subbuteo. The two teams in the box were Arsenal and Dortmund, and I was never going to support the Germans. My dad was always more of a rugby man and so I didn't have much of a steer, and it's been the Gunners ever since.

Otherwise, teams I have soft spots for are Sampdoria (from Football Italia), Valencia (they have an orange away kit, who needs more than that?), and various Russian sides from places that I either lived in on my year abroad (Shinnik Yaroslavl, Rotor Volgograd) or find interesting (Alania Vladikavkaz, Rubin Kazan). A fairly random mixture!

My godfather is a season ticket holder at Chelsea and they were the closest when I lived in London. I saw Sam Dalla Bona score against Bradford City and remember Charlton being a colossal pain in the arse. 

I started playing football at 6 years old when the 98 World Cup was on. I remember the Michael Owen goal vs Argentina sticking out to me and as he played for Liverpool at the time, I started supporting them and have done ever since. At the time I was playing for the junior teams of my hometown non league team Stocksbridge Park Steels and have adopted them as my second team who I regularly watch and do voluntary work for. Been spoilt for good football with both teams over the past ten years. One season that always sticks out for me with Stocksbridge is the season they got promoted, 4 players scored 20+ goals that season including a certain Jamie Vardy.

Well, with FM2020 33% off, I took Chelsea to 2nd in the league before the demo expired (including Mourinho having another shocker and a 3-1 win over Arsenal with 10 men) so look for a new story fairly soon.

Think the real question would be why my dad supported Chelsea when he was born in Halifax, he goes and watches Halifax any chance he gets, but he's always been a Chelsea supporter. I wasn't a huge football fan (I guess I'm still not relatively speaking), so it took me a while to actually realise their was a choice involved. Everyone at school in the 90s supported Liverpool or Utd my brother supported Utd and had a Sharp sponsored shirt. My best friend through secondary school supported Leeds and he bought me a 3rd team strip green and black striped Thistle Hotels kit with Yeboah on the back, which I thought was a rather specific gift and I didn't have the heart to tell him I wasn't overly connected to the team.

Thus I tried become more connected to the Leeds team, and it was at the height of their most recent success, Harry Kewell, Yeboah, Hasslebaink. I remember European football and tough ties in Italy and France against Roma and Monaco. I remember going on a school trip when I was 13-14 to the south of France and taking my Leeds shirt with me for the trip to Monaco.

Then the club imploded, and everything about it became about money, I'd always had more fun playing football than watching it, playing in goal for the Boys Brigade and on the wing for my secondary school, in comparison I enjoyed watching American Football and was disappointed their wasn't more opportunity to play it.

Time drifted on, I stayed disillusioned with football, life in general I guess, and thus my relationships with my family stretched, and in some cases broke. When I came more to my senses and attempted to rebuild a stronger connection with my dad, I turned to football. I wanted to know what drove him to be so fanatical about Chelsea, as I had never been one of "those" supporters (where every decision went against you and your team was pure and clean while every other was dirty and bent.) So I looked into the history of the team and the era while I had been alive.

The year I was born Ken Bates bought the club for £1, I remember Zola, Vialli, Hughes, then Ruud Gullit and the international stars that came with him, when he was player manager. I absorbed it all and strove to know as much about the modern iteration of the club in order to have something to talk about with my dad (whose other passion is golf, and I can't play with balls that small to save my life, plus he won't get on a bicycle so we are stuck there).

48 minutes ago, BenArsenal said:

So, football is back with the Bundesliga. Interesting experiment to see how it all pans out amidst a world-changing pandemic.

They relaxed their lockdown policy outside of football and they saw an increase in cases. I can’t see it being any different inside football, ie the players are going to be coming into contact with one another, the management staff, trainers, physios etc. 

so there will be an increase in cases but that is what is required now, segments of society being let back out into the wild one by one. 

id rather start with reception children than professional footballers. Reception children are more likely to do as they are told, and don’t have footballers wages to be stupid with 

All the retro BBC articles about the 1997-ish period (when I got obsessed with football) is giving me ants in my pants waiting to relive my childhood days of Le Tissier, Cantona, Sheffield Wednesday and Man Utd every Wednesday night on ITV facing Sturm Graz or Grasshopper in the Champions League qualifiers.

I started secondary school in 1998 and the library had these giants books and I started getting obsessed with all the teams:

s-l640.jpg

91RxWmo9s6L.jpg

And I subscribed to Football Magic with its big unwieldy binders telling me all about Neil Redfearn at Barnsley:

Football-Magic-98-99-Complete-Collection

So that era is my peak. If I wasn't delving into all that goodness, I probably would've started my CM 93/94 story now, getting a few oldies nostalgic about buying Bart-Williams, Strachan or Collymore for a couple million or just 6 figures. (Platt and Gazza cost a few million to take out of Italy though!)

• 2 weeks later...

Theirs just over two weeks left to vote in the FMS Hall of Fame Preliminary round. I'm posting the reminder here so its in two places and people cant say they missed it at the top of the forum

• 2 weeks later...

The predictions league has restarted guys. Theirs two weeks worth of fixtures up

Please take have a look the note above regarding the Cup competitions in both Predictions and Fantasy League

Just a quick one - I always try and invest in youth in my long term saves, and I think I may have just found my favourite ever newgen/Regen ever. I'm West Ham, and this lad came through my youth intake in the first season..scouts rated him highly so I kept my eye on him. First season he played five cup games and five league games towards the end of the season, scored seven. Then he spent the next two years out on loan - he's now a regular in my side and has just won this seasons player of the year. Reminds me of Jermain Defoe

Without doubt the best Regen I've ever had on any game, certainly stats wise

IMG_20200609_191857803.jpg

On 10/06/2020 at 10:42, sherm said:

Just a quick one - I always try and invest in youth in my long term saves, and I think I may have just found my favourite ever newgen/Regen ever. I'm West Ham, and this lad came through my youth intake in the first season..scouts rated him highly so I kept my eye on him. First season he played five cup games and five league games towards the end of the season, scored seven. Then he spent the next two years out on loan - he's now a regular in my side and has just won this seasons player of the year. Reminds me of Jermain Defoe

Without doubt the best Regen I've ever had on any game, certainly stats wise

IMG_20200609_191857803.jpg

He's the Ansah to your prayers.