That moment when you realise you screwed up

Started a new save as Sunderland a little while ago. First two seasons went brilliantly. In League 1 I didn't lose a single league game, in the Championship I stormed it and finished with 116 points. Everything was clicking, morale has been great, my players have been happy, I've managed to stay pretty injury free, I built the team around a couple of tactics that just seemed to work.

However things have just changed. I reached the end of the second season having just gained promotion to the Premiership and started trying to think about what areas I needed to strengthen. I thought I was in a pretty good job, could do with a new DC, DL, a couple of MC and a backup GK but that was about it.

Then I realised that I had a squad full of loan players. The unlimited loan rule for the Championship had meant that a good 50% of my squad in that second season were loans! After stripping them out of my squad this is what I'm now left with:

8o5kICk.jpg

Yeah, not good!

Of that squad there are only 2 top class players, Kenyon & Mumba, 5 who I would say are capable of doing a job for a newly promoted team and the rest are trash!

So right now my position is that I need to sign probably in the region of 12-15 Premiership quality players on a budget of £50m. This could be tricky!

33 minutes ago, mack4ever said:

Started a new save as Sunderland a little while ago. First two seasons went brilliantly. In League 1 I didn't lose a single league game, in the Championship I stormed it and finished with 116 points. Everything was clicking, morale has been great, my players have been happy, I've managed to stay pretty injury free, I built the team around a couple of tactics that just seemed to work.

However things have just changed. I reached the end of the second season having just gained promotion to the Premiership and started trying to think about what areas I needed to strengthen. I thought I was in a pretty good job, could do with a new DC, DL, a couple of MC and a backup GK but that was about it.

Then I realised that I had a squad full of loan players. The unlimited loan rule for the Championship had meant that a good 50% of my squad in that second season were loans! After stripping them out of my squad this is what I'm now left with:

8o5kICk.jpg

Yeah, not good!

Of that squad there are only 2 top class players, Kenyon & Mumba, 5 who I would say are capable of doing a job for a newly promoted team and the rest are trash!

So right now my position is that I need to sign probably in the region of 12-15 Premiership quality players on a budget of £50m. This could be tricky!

Daft Geordie.

13 hours ago, mack4ever said:

8o5kICk.jpg

Yeah, not good!

That’s going to be a short season in the prem for you. You might be able to get your key loans back, possibly sign one of two of the other loans as your actual players, and raid the frees see if you can put something together. There’s a striker in Serbia called Dejan Joveljic I got him to Tranmere kept me in the prem single handed. Wasn’t that expensive either. Sometimes doesn’t get a work permit though.

1 hour ago, SpikeHughes said:

That’s going to be a short season in the prem for you. You might be able to get your key loans back, possibly sign one of two of the other loans as your actual players, and raid the frees see if you can put something together. There’s a striker in Serbia called Dejan Joveljic I got him to Tranmere kept me in the prem single handed. Wasn’t that expensive either. Sometimes doesn’t get a work permit though.

I actually think I've managed to assemble a reasonable squad in the end. On paper we're probably somewhere around 12-15 in the table in terms of ability. Mostly picking up Premier League rejects who I think will work in my system, with a few decent youngsters included and a couple of wildcard foreigners included. Managed to get some good free transfers too.

zOxDpv8.png

Also signed this guy on a free the day after I took that screenshot:

8liv8Vq.png

Personally I think I've done pretty damn well all things considered. I've got a good mix of experience and youth, a few young players on free transfers who still have plenty of improvement remaining and could be worth a few quid in the future, and amongst the rest are a lot of players who probably aren't on paper that great but who fit in to my system very well.

I actually have high hopes for this season now!

That looks like a good transfer window. Bosmans are always good in game when you have a decent wage budget because the AI isn't nearly aggressive enough at hoovering up all the Premier League calibre players.

If you need some backups on whatever budget you have left go sign some South American and Balkan kids with potential.

You're going to need a lot of extra tactics and team cohesion training to get them gelling though.

Well things couldn't have really got off to a better start. I had a relatively easy start to the season but so far so good.

Sunderland 2-0 Fulham (16th last season)

Swansea (Promoted from Championship) 1-2 Sunderland

Sunderland 3-0 Newcastle (9th last season)

Brilliantly though, despite all of the transfers, our best player so far has been Will Grigg, somebody who was a member of the squad from my first day in League 1 and who only scored 7 goals in 22 games last season. Literally only kept because I couldn't afford to replace him and only playing because of injury, but he's started with 4 goals and 2 MoM awards in 3 games!

15 minutes ago, mack4ever said:

Brilliantly though, despite all of the transfers, our best player so far has been Will Grigg, somebody who was a member of the squad from my first day in League 1 and who only scored 7 goals in 22 games last season. Literally only kept because I couldn't afford to replace him and only playing because of injury, but he's started with 4 goals and 2 MoM awards in 3 games!  on fire

fixed that for you :D 

On 16/03/2019 at 19:30, mack4ever said:

I'd just prioritise the four actually. And focus on the middle of the pitch - so GK / CB / CM / FWD.

Might be a bit late for scouting incursions into Eastern Europe and lower league Italy/Spain/Germany - usually always find a bargain or two on the cheap there. If you can keep the core middle player group fit throughout and consolidate from relegation then you should be able to add the rest in the following season. 

On 17/03/2019 at 10:57, mack4ever said:

I actually think I've managed to assemble a reasonable squad in the end. On paper we're probably somewhere around 12-15 in the table in terms of ability. Mostly picking up Premier League rejects who I think will work in my system, with a few decent youngsters included and a couple of wildcard foreigners included. Managed to get some good free transfers too.

zOxDpv8.png

Also signed this guy on a free the day after I took that screenshot:

8liv8Vq.png

Personally I think I've done pretty damn well all things considered. I've got a good mix of experience and youth, a few young players on free transfers who still have plenty of improvement remaining and could be worth a few quid in the future, and amongst the rest are a lot of players who probably aren't on paper that great but who fit in to my system very well.

I actually have high hopes for this season now!

Very good transfer window I know that bastian very well he retired and is currently on my staff a Hadjuk Split. He was my stalwart in midfield. I know most of the names as well on your list. Vallejo from real becomes available after a few season check him he’s fantastic.

Let me know how it all goes good luck. 

Archived