RAM - USED and FREE

How much RAM memory is using your computer when you are simulating FM 19 ?

I have 8gb and it says that notebook is using 6,1GB and 1,9 is free something like that...

I wonder if someone have more RAM and FM is using more or is it max that it can use ...

It will use as much RAM as necessary. It seems like you have more than enough to run FM. It won't use any more. 

You can add more RAM and it bump it up to 16gb ram - but RAM is only a small part of how fast FM will go, it's mainly down to the processor.

12 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

How much RAM memory is using your computer when you are simulating FM 19 ?

I have 8gb and it says that notebook is using 6,1GB and 1,9 is free something like that...

I wonder if someone have more RAM and FM is using more or is it max that it can use ...

Yes, If you have more RAM, then FM will use more. I specifically tested this theory in FM17, FM18 and FM19. I took one save, randomly (had 8 nations loaded like I usually do comprising of about 15 leagues) and started playing it on my laptop (8GB RAM) and the game itself used about 5.5GB RAM. Then I downloaded the same save from the cloud into my PC, which has 16GB RAM and boom: the game used 7.5GB of memory.

If you are wondering if more RAM will impact the speed in FM, the short answer is YES. But it's the principle behind that needs to be understood: It's not just the ammount of RAM that matters, but the actual speed (frequency and latency) of the RAM is even more important especially for people that have at least 8GB. Example: if you have 4GB, then upgrading to 8GB is the best thing you can do. Now, if you have 8GB of really slow RAM, upgrading to 16GB of the same slow RAM will have little impact. Howver, if you upgrade to 8GB or 16GB of really fast RAM ... you will be amazed by the difference. This is kinda the long answer :)

9 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

Yes, If you have more RAM, then FM will use more. I specifically tested this theory in FM17, FM18 and FM19. I took one save, randomly (had 8 nations loaded like I usually do comprising of about 15 leagues) and started playing it on my laptop (8GB RAM) and the game itself used about 5.5GB RAM. Then I downloaded the same save from the cloud into my PC, which has 16GB RAM and boom: the game used 7.5GB of memory.

If you are wondering if more RAM will impact the speed in FM, the short answer is YES. But it's the principle behind that needs to be understood: It's not just the ammount of RAM that matters, but the actual speed (frequency and latency) of the RAM is even more important especially for people that have at least 8GB. Example: if you have 4GB, then upgrading to 8GB is the best thing you can do. Now, if you have 8GB of really slow RAM, upgrading to 16GB of the same slow RAM will have little impact. Howver, if you upgrade to 8GB or 16GB of really fast RAM ... you will be amazed by the difference. This is kinda the long answer :)

I have now 2x4gb 2400mghz, CL 17 Hynix I think...

I could buy Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 2400mghz CL 14

But PC and laptop components are not the same so maybe that's why and PC also can use graphic card rams?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

13 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

It may have used more RAM - but the speed may be down to the processor - no? 

If your laptop processor is slower, then you will find a huge difference going to a desktop processor. 

And there's a correlation to how much RAM is allocated and the processor being used - so having a better processor in your desktop, bigger L3 caches and faster bus speeds etc. would all impact on the RAM usage, and the overall speed of the computer. 

To really test it, you would need to upgrade your laptop RAM to 16gb and test it again.

8 hours ago, Smurf said:

And there's a correlation to how much RAM is allocated and the processor being used - so having a better processor in your desktop, bigger L3 caches and faster bus speeds etc. would all impact on the RAM usage, and the overall speed of the computer. 

To really test it, you would need to upgrade your laptop RAM to 16gb and test it again.

Yes, you are absolutly right in this regard . So, I did just that, but on the PC :) I took out 1 stick of 8GB of RAM and ran the other one in single channel. Everything else was the same. The end result: FM was now using less RAM. The difference was in the region of 1GB RAM - 1.2GB RAM. This leads me to belive that it is Windows 10 itself which allocates resources differently based on how much you have. I am planning on upgrading my laptop RAM to 16GB low latency as well and will repeat the test there as well.

14 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

Yes, you are absolutly right in this regard . So, I did just that, but on the PC :) I took out 1 stick of 8GB of RAM and ran the other one in single channel. Everything else was the same. The end result: FM was now using less RAM. The difference was in the region of 1GB RAM - 1.2GB RAM. This leads me to belive that it is Windows 10 itself which allocates resources differently based on how much you have. I am planning on upgrading my laptop RAM to 16GB low latency as well and will repeat the test there as well.

Ok let me know when you do ;)

Not being any expert on the matter: I think RAM usage is directly dependent on the total amount of RAM. This happens to me with many apps and games, even the OS. When I had 4gb of RAM there was an amount of usage, when I've upgraded to 8gb those same apps started using more (but also being faster and smoother) and when I've finally upgraded to 16gb same thing happened, tho less proeminently. FM do this, Chrome and Firefox do this, Windows 10 do this, etc etc. I think it's related to memory RAM in cache as well, but like I said, not an expert on it.

I don't worry about more memory being used tho. In fact I want my memory to be used. Like many people say, free RAM is wasted RAM.

4 hours ago, 99 said:

Not being any expert on the matter: I think RAM usage is directly dependent on the total amount of RAM. This happens to me with many apps and games, even the OS. When I had 4gb of RAM there was an amount of usage, when I've upgraded to 8gb those same apps started using more (but also being faster and smoother) and when I've finally upgraded to 16gb same thing happened, tho less proeminently. FM do this, Chrome and Firefox do this, Windows 10 do this, etc etc. I think it's related to memory RAM in cache as well, but like I said, not an expert on it.

I don't worry about more memory being used tho. In fact I want my memory to be used. Like many people say, free RAM is wasted RAM.

Yes of course - as I said the game will use as much as necessary, it can't go over the amount, so even with 4gb, 8gb it will use as much as required, and no more, and if you increase to 16gb there is a small increase, but it's not significant enough to yield any great speed increases in the game. 

As far I remember more RAM helps in certain ways within the game, I think it might be in using shortlists (don't quote me on that!) 

• 11 months later...

Is dual-channel ram makes FM faster? What is better,  8gb ram in dual channel, or 12gb (8gb+4gb)?

Second question, how works intel uhd graphics 620 on FM 2020 3D? Or should I buy laptop with radeon vega 8 or better?

Thanks a lot. :)

8 minutes ago, arturss1 said:

Is dual-channel ram makes FM faster? What is better,  8gb ram in dual channel, or 12gb (8gb+4gb)?

Second question, how works intel uhd graphics 620 on FM 2020 3D? Or should I buy laptop with radeon vega 8 or better?

Thanks a lot. :)

dual channel is always faster, regardless of game. Intel uhd will probably play 3d but on low settings. Intel UHD works okay, but the game was sometimes laggy.

4 minutes ago, Bigpole said:

dual channel is always faster, regardless of game. Intel uhd will probably play 3d but on low settings. Intel UHD works okay, but the game was sometimes laggy.

Ok, but are you sure dual channel (4gb+4gb) is better than 8gb+4gb?

Edited by arturss1

47 minutes ago, arturss1 said:

Ok, but are you sure dual channel (4gb+4gb) is better than 8gb+4gb?

https://serverfault.com/questions/912283/can-mixing-ram-memory-size-on-its-own-reduce-dual-channel-performance/912298

You will not be able to achieve dual channel performance with modules that are not identical.

What you get is called by intel FLEX mode.

That means, if the MB is good enough, you still get faster-than-single channel operation, but not entirely dual-channel operational speed. Motherboards that support FLEX mode will list it as "dual channel" regardless, so that's not an accurate indicator.

You can see FLEX here.

Basically, the common dual channel area will work in dual channel, while the difference of the larger module will be slower, will work on single channel.