[Question] Contract Renewals and Wage Rises

I've searched for this on google but I still couldn't get a definite answer.

The season is over (all matches played) and I've won promotion to the English League Championship, but the new season hasn't kicked in yet. I need to renew some contracts, however, I don't know how the yearly wage rise and promotion rise clauses work.

If I renew a player's contract with a Promotion or Yearly Rise clause, will his wages immediately increase at the start of the new season, or do they only apply at the end of the upcoming season?

Thank you.

AFAIK if you add these clauses before the new season rollover then they will get those clauses activated at the rollover date.

I usually try and avoid those clauses full stop, but if I have to, then try and hold off agreement until the roller has happened, or at least too close to rollover for them to sign in time.

DISCLAIMER: I don;t know for certain so I could be completely wrong though.

Not strictly relevant to the question - like @Snorks I don't know, but maybe a higher number of comments might draw someone in who does - but a little trick I did when taking a team up a division where I expected immediate relegation: if they ask for a big promotion wage rise i.e. 25% allow it, but lock in double that decrease upon relegation i.e. in this case 50%. Means if you go straight back down you actually save money. 

If a player is on £3,000 / week. 

25% wage rise upon promotion = £3,750 / week

50% decrease upon relegation = £1,875 / week

Then lets say its a 4-5 year contract and you hold onto the player and immediately win promotion again aka "doing a Burnley"

25% wage rise = £2,344 / week. 

Those savings will add up. 

Archived