Sign here if you want DRM gone from FM...

I dont mind DRM like last years, but this year is a joke.

That's because last year it wasn't DRM, it was copy protection – huge difference.

Oh, and with all the post I've made complaining about the DRM it's probably not a big surprise that I'll be happy to sign here as well. I haven't bought the game this year, and I won't buy any future versions either unless they decide to skip the DRM.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glynn, if you go on certain torrent websites, the game was not only cracked, but there are about 1000 people enjoying their new full version of Football Manager 2009, and tomorrow the number of people who have the game should increase significantly, meaning SI will have lost $40x10,000 pirated copies=$400,000 so there really was no point in this whole DRM business. It's just a lot of hassle for those who want to play FM as soon as it is installed and not have to wait hours before finally activating the game.

p.s I have an original copy of the game having gone out and bought it from ASDA. Just thought it would be interesting to see how long it would take the hackers to crack fm 09 and therefore make this whole DRM thing look pointless.

Signed.

Pirates will pirate the game regardless of DRM or not. Crackers find sophisticated DRM more challenging, so the more you throw on a game, the more crackers you will inspire to try and break through it.

The number of pirates who would try to pirate the game within a week of it being released, but would go and buy the game if it had not been cracked yet, would be very small. You would be talking maybe 1000 people. The number of paying customers who get inconvenienced and lose respect for the company due to DRM ruining their experience would most likely be a lot larger. Especially when you take into account that these people will most likely not buy future versions of the game, and may also revert to piracy.

In short, DRM doesn't phase the pirate community at all, only the paying customers.

I honestly hope that the next version of FM has just a simple CD-key activation, similar to games before piracy was mainstream. Sure pirates will get their game quick and easy, but so will the paying customers.

Mac version of DRM has been fine. Good old "Please put the disk in the drive" -- same as we've had since about CM00/01.

No authentication, no hassle. Simple install and play in about 5 minutes.

Doesn't that sound good?

Can't we just have that for PC and MAC next year?

Archived