Countering 3-2-2-3

I'm always getting hammered by Reading who play a slightly unconventional-looking 3-2-2-3 system with 3 centrebacks, wingbacks, 2 CM's, Wingers/IFs and a striker. I play a 4-1-2-3 like this: LFB(A), 2xCD(D), RFB(S), DM(S) (or Anchor if I want to play it safer), Mez(A), DLP(S), LW(S), RW(A)/IF(A), F9 (or DLF(A), CF(S), or AF, depending on the player and the situation). Short passing, low tempo, narrow width , exploit middle, play out of defence. Positive/attacking mentality, high DL,  lower/standard LOE, higher pressing. Counterpress (regroup when playing it safe), counter, get stuck in, tighter marking. Using this tactic with minor tinkering I do well against most teams and tactics, but consistently really struggle against lower mid-table Reading who use the 3-2-2-3 system. Any tips for countering that system? (I know this is not very much information to go by, but any general advice would be appreciated.

2 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

getting hammered

2 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

consistently really struggle against

Are you getting beat like 7-2 or 1-0?  I guess my question would be are you struggling to score (break down their defense), struggling to defend  well, or both?  And how are they scoring their goals?  Long shots?  Crosses?  Set pieces? 

3 hours ago, gcoard said:

Are you getting beat like 7-2 or 1-0?  I guess my question would be are you struggling to score (break down their defense), struggling to defend  well, or both?  And how are they scoring their goals?  Long shots?  Crosses?  Set pieces? 

Okay, "getting hammered" was perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, it's been 2-0's and 1-0's with majority of the possession and shots on target usually going our way. We are definitely struggling to create clear-cut chances against them though, and they are scoring from counter attacks through the flanks and set pieces. My high DL probably is exposing us to those counter attacks, but I'm reluctant to drop deeper because I like how the combination of high DL and lowish LOE keeps the space between our defence and midfield compact and protects from long shots and passes into channels. With our narrow defensive width, this does leave space on the flanks and behind the d-line, but against other tactics we have been able to deal with that very well. 

Ah...3-2-2-3. That's my favorite formation so far in fm19 with aggressive pressing and high defensive line countering at all times by any means necessary. Very strong vs bigger sides with better players.

My advice is to play to your own players strengths...you have better quality players and quality should eventually win out in the long run, but within 90 mins different story. Eg, if you have a true star in your team...then change your tactic to get him more involved.

In my experience it comes down to either out pacing them or slowing the game down to favor your players...think either '99 man utd, even real Madrid 2015-2018 VS pep Barcelona, 2010 Spain.

I personally would try outpacing in every department.

Tell us what you did...Bc so far even the match engine can't consistently beat my team with that formation. And My players aren't stars.

I think if you saw the opposition had 3 centre backs and two midfielders ahead of it, first thought would be not to try and go through the centre of the park. But thinking about it, I would. I'd play a 4-4-2 that plays narrow through midfield and try to overload their central block of 5 vs. my 6 midfielders/attackers. Defensively it then also matches up pretty well to what they are doing.

I'd want both my wide players looking to come inside and attack the centre of the pitch/half spaces (PPM's or considering playing them coming inside onto their stronger foot may also help here). One striker pulling into channels dragging defenders out. Whilst the other striker can drop off whilst others attack space ahead of him.

Something like this for starters:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, laurentius82 said:

exploit middle

Positive/attacking mentality

high DL

higher pressing

Counterpress

get stuck in

Do you understand how much exposed your defense is left by all these instructions combined? It would be risky even for top teams to play so aggressively.

3 hours ago, Warrenwwr said:

Ah...3-2-2-3. That's my favorite formation so far in fm19 with aggressive pressing and high defensive line countering at all times by any means necessary. Very strong vs bigger sides with better players.

My advice is to play to your own players strengths...you have better quality players and quality should eventually win out in the long run, but within 90 mins different story. Eg, if you have a true star in your team...then change your tactic to get him more involved.

In my experience it comes down to either out pacing them or slowing the game down to favor your players...think either '99 man utd, even real Madrid 2015-2018 VS pep Barcelona, 2010 Spain.

I personally would try outpacing in every department.

Tell us what you did...Bc so far even the match engine can't consistently beat my team with that formation. And My players aren't stars.

Actually we don't really have better quality players, lots of promising kids but nothing outstanding yet. Our wage bill is lowest in the league and we play at a rented 5000 capacity stadium, but we have been doing well regardless.  Thanks for your ideas, I might try a quicker, more direct approach the next time we face that system, as we have some very pacy forwards.  

And yes, our approach is risky, but it we've been actually very solid defensively for the most part.  I do switch counterpress to regroup and possibly lower the mentality when we are clear underdogs. Using this tactic with some variations we had 4 back-to-back promotions to the championship, just missing another promotion as we lost the playoff final in extra time.

@laurentius82. Well that changes everything!

Based on my current game my team  has a favorable win record against all formations faced except 4-1-4-1 (DM). Most likely the one in the "park the bus" preset. And I never change my formation...ever. 

I think someone else said this...a 4-4-2 can trump the 3-2-2-3 you described. Generally consolidation of the wings and building using overlapping on the wings.

I honestly always stay away from the tighter marking setting. Unless I have a beast of a DC or 2. Which I never do...so pricey.

It's not about formations, it's about the tactic as a whole. Any formation can play against any other formation and both win and lose, depending on how you set up the tactic - not formation - and how good you are at adapting/adjusting it to different situations/opponents. 

Archived