Does Wing Play even work?

Has anyone had any luck tweaking or using the preset wing play instructions? Having a hard time getting any variation or it to get consistent results in the premier league. Is this just down to the opposition being too strong? I usually try a 442 or 4231, even the preset 433 formations. 

In most cases preset tactics need tweaking in order to work, but you also need to consider if a certain tactic suits your team (type of players). I personally never use presets, but my primary tactic with Brighton could be considered a sort of "hybrid" between wing play and direct counter attack in some way.

Yeah I havent had much luck with any of the presets, I just like the idea of the wing play style. Some of the goals I managed to score using it have been my favorite so far in FM19, but there is zero consistency it seems like with any tactic

1 hour ago, mc22 said:

Yeah I havent had much luck with any of the presets, I just like the idea of the wing play style. Some of the goals I managed to score using it have been my favorite so far in FM19, but there is zero consistency it seems like with any tactic

My approach is to make slight tweaks to my basic (primary) tactic, depending on the analysis of opposition and how a given match is developing on the pitch. What I wanna say is that any tactical style can work, provided you have suitable players and you know what adjustments to make from situation to situation. Specifically wing play makes sense if you have good wide players who can cross the ball effectively, and if there are enough teammates in and close enough to the box, who can then utilize those crosses. Otherwise, it may prove futile. 

I've done really well with wingers set up in the line below the 2 strikers.  Almost looks like a 4-2-2-2 tactic.  I set one of the 2 to attacking winger, and the other to support winger.  At salford, I used lloyd and Gaffney as my lw (sup) and rw (att).  crosses set to mixed and aim to centre.  Seemed to get about 15-20 assists for lloyd and about 20 goals for gaffney, mainly coming from crosses from the lw to rw.  Maybe it's just a poor league, but it continued all the way up to promotion to the premiership with similar stats.

Try them out if you're starting a new game.  Hope this helps!

Simon Le Heffy

https://bit.ly/2GnnWJ3

Archived