Apologies if this has been asked before, but if I have a 16 year old with decent potential, would moving him to the first team but leaving him available for the under 18s have any effect on him?

As in would it improve him more/quicker training with the first team than it would leaving him in the under 18s? 

Fair question and im interested to know too.

Only reason i've done this on FM19 is if i want to have a first team player mentor them. I would like to think that also being part of the senior training would aid their development.

4 hours ago, vara said:

Fair question and im interested to know too.

Only reason i've done this on FM19 is if i want to have a first team player mentor them. I would like to think that also being part of the senior training would aid their development.

This can be a bad thing, you might want to read this as it explains why.

@Mrlee.1986 If you have a promising youth player and you put him in the first squad but make him available for youth games, then his entire training programme becomes unsynched with the games he's actually playing. As youth games are played on different days, so he'd miss first-team training days on these days and depending on how you've set training up, these could be really important days. On top of this, youth teams tend to have higher workloads for training and this is reflected in the youth schedules because of playing fewer games. So you can be more demanding on players in the youth squads. Ideally, you should only be promoting players to the first team if you have plans on using them. If you aren't using them in the first team then it's likely not more beneficial than them being in the relevant squad.

55 minutes ago, Filke said:

I left model citizen youngster in u19 squad and they dragged his personality down, so from now on that is only reason when I will move youngster to first team. @Cleon

The first team can drag him down unless they're model citizens too. It all depends on the team's overall personality type, which you can check on your club page. It's not a side effect of him being on the youth side, it's a side effect of the clubs personality and the same thing can happen in the first team.

Team personality, Social group/club hierarchy etc all play a part and can directly impact the personality of any player.]

53 minutes ago, Cleon said:

The first team can drag him down unless they're model citizens too. It all depends on the team's overall personality type, which you can check on your club page. It's not a side effect of him being on the youth side, it's a side effect of the clubs personality and the same thing can happen in the first team.

Team personality, Social group/club hierarchy etc all play a part and can directly impact the personality of any player.]

Yea I always try to build highly professional first team.

To me it really depends on senior squad personality combined with the different focus area on your training schedules (between senior and youth squads). 

In Italy a lot of match days are synced up which, to me, in conducive to training youngsters with senior level.

Regardless of talent, I always keep intakes in u18 for balance of first season. However, each preseason I tap one or two that will train with senior squad and play with their peers. Either I need some personality improvement or I feel they are capable of being 3rd best (emergency) at one role within system. It’s usually 2-3 guys. If they aren’t capable of playing for senior squad in a pinch, they won’t train up top.

Archived