Turning a group of individuals into a team

Struggling to find any success despite having a team that has talent throughout. I've no clear identity of how I'd like to play, which has probably held me back. I'd just like to be winning, and seeing players play to their potential. If I was to be pushed, I'd like to play a 442 - haven't played with a partnership up front for years now - although I've three stand out midfielders that I think I could build around. 

Key players I want to build around are Pablo Maffeo, Marcelo Saracchi, Ruben Neves, Sandro Tonali, Arthur, Wilfred Zaha, Pietro Pellgri, Nicolas Gonzalez. 

In view of a 442, I'd love to be able to retrain Neves as a complete wing back, and have him add an incredible creative dynamic from Right back. Leaving a midfield pairing of Tonali holding, with Arthur supporting the attacks. 

Zaha as an Inverted Winger would seem to make sense, but not sure how to balance that on opposite side. 

Up front I've no idea on best roles to get best out of Pellgri and Gonzalez. Pellegri is still 18 and can be molded into near enough any type of forward, where as Gonzalez is maybe best suited to being a pressing forward. It's a role that I've used him in before in a previous Leeds save - a high pressing 433, in which he scored 50+ goals in a season.

Would this be a base that could work?

GK; 

Neves (CWBa) - CDc - BPDd - Saracchi (WBs)

Ws - Arthur (SV-s) - Tonali (DLPd) - Zaha (IWa)

Gonzalez (PFs) - Pellegri (CFa)

1 hour ago, DjangoSrna said:

Arthur (SV-s)

There is no volante in a 442. Maybe you meant 4-2-2-2 DM Wide?

Btw, Ruben Neves in a fullback position ??? Not sure the idea is a good one. The guy is born to be a playmaker.

Up front I've no idea on best roles to get best out of Pellgri and Gonzalez. Pellegri is still 18 and can be molded into near enough any type of forward, where as Gonzalez is maybe best suited to being a pressing forward. It's a role that I've used him in before in a previous Leeds save - a high pressing 433, in which he scored 50+ goals in a season

You should take into account not only which role (or roles) a particular player is suitable for, but also how different roles interact with one another as integral parts of the tactic as a whole. Most players are capable of playing more than one role in their position (in terms of their attributes, not what the game suggests).

2 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

There is no volante in a 442. Maybe you meant 4-2-2-2 DM Wide?

Btw, Ruben Neves in a fullback position ??? Not sure the idea is a good one. The guy is born to be a playmaker.

You should take into account not only which role (or roles) a particular player is suitable for, but also how different roles interact with one another as integral parts of the tactic as a whole. Most players are capable of playing more than one role in their position (in terms of their attributes, not what the game suggests).

Contradicting yourself. 

Why not put Neves at full back, he's all the attributes to be the best in the world their. I've already Tonali and Arthur to play midfield pair. 

15 minutes ago, DjangoSrna said:

Why not put Neves at full back, he's all the attributes to be the best in the world

Your opinion may be different, but for a good (let alone world class) fullback I'd be wanting more than 12 pace, 12 workrate, 13 tackling, 12 marking and 13 crossing. Not saying he can't play FB, but you'd be giving up a great midfield playmaker for an average FB.

Okay, sacked off the 442 approach, and going for a 352. 

But still finding no luck. No room for Zaha now though, so will clear him out come summer. 

No idea on how to find best balance in midfield, or still how to best pair two strikers. 

CB - CB - CB

Tonali DLPs

Ws - Neves ?? - Arthur ?? - LW

Pellegri PFs - Gonzalez PFa

Okay, sacked off the 442 approach, and going for a 352. 

But still finding no luck. No room for Zaha now though, so will clear him out come summer

Based on what criteria do you pick the formation you want to use for your team? Analysis of your squad or just randomly? Switching from one formation to another is not something that will make a tactic work. Tactics are more than just a formation, so there may be a number of reasons why a certain tactic does not work, apart from formation.

Archived