Advice please

Just started playing FMT18 after a long FM absence.

Started as Grimsby, next to no budget. Had too many injuries and never had a full strength side. Didn't even make it to January window before I was sacked. Now, after applying for almost every job I have got Elgin in Scottish bottom division.

What I want to know is; how do you all build your side from rock bottom? Do you pick a preferred formation or 2 and bring in players that suit your system? Play the formation that best suits your current squad, knowing you have no money?

Finally, do you know if there was a problem with injuries on FMT18 as in half a season I always had around 3 players out injured? Never just for a few days either, usually minimum 3 weeks. Should I just buy FMT19, more realistic injury wise?

Sorry for the long post, genuine advice wanted though.

Build the tactic around what you have in your disposal first season. Slowly build the tactic you want over the next few years then increase the quality as you get more money. Keep things simple early on and just change things as you see the players play.

Injuries will always happen. Nothing you can do about it.

I’ve always played as a small team and built the club from the bottom the way I want it. The way I go about things is:

Set up my preferred tactic from the start. I’m not interested in whether the current squad are suited to it or not. I’m thinking long term and will be looking to retrain or sign new players to play my way.

Heavily scout for players that fit my system and blueprint. I have set attributes I look for for each position. I always want high determination and work rate too. 

Avoid bad personalities. No fickle or mercenaries.

Accept that for the first few years it will be difficult but focus on the games you should be winning. I play my reserves/ rotation team against sides that should beat me anyway. Keep the strongest eleven match fit and ready for the weaker teams that are in and around you in the league.

Injuries are lower in FM than in real life. This has been looked at and mentioned every year for as long as I can remember. Make sure you aren’t overtraining or overworking players. You get an email at the start of each season from your head physio saying how many injuries he would expect to see over the course of the season on average. My current season he said 132 injuries across the squad. 

Thanks guys, really appreciate your input. 2 contrasting methods, neither of which are wrong, but I love your insights.

If you're bothered, I think I intend to evolve over time. Next transfer window bring in one or 2 that fit my bigger plan, but try to incorporate them into my current system.

I've not been at Elgin long, but I've certainly seen a drastic fall in injuries from my time at Grimsby. Think I was just mighty unlucky there.

Archived