dafuge's FM09 challenge

FC United, 2021-22, League 2

League - 16th, (Past Positions)

JPT - North First Round

League Cup - First Round

FA Cup - First Round

A decent season if you look at it by positions, however our past positions graph was more like a crappy linerider course. We looked awful at first but after a good run we managed to secure a decent position. Squad - We have a strong squad, that as they age will become a title challenging squad in my opinion. Transfers - Matt Jordan and Richie Brackenridge were both signed on frees, our 2 loan signings were good signings and helped to assist our season. Ian Gray who was one of those was our top goalscorer, and also the second top goal scorer in the entire league. Our other good player was Brian MacDonald, a player who I got on the cheap a few seasons ago, he has developed into a very good player. Finances - For the first season in a long time we made a loss, a big loss of 170K. With our wages quite high it will take a lot for us to make a profit next season, although hopefully we can.

Career Overview

Season      League             League Finish   Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2009/10     Blue Square North      7th            
2010/11     Blue Square North      8th        
2011/12     Blue Square North     11th        
2012/13     Blue Square North      9th         
2013/14     Blue Square North      2nd        Promoted as Runners-up
2014/15     Blue Square Premier   19th  
2015/16     Blue Square Premier   20th
2016/17     Blue Square Premier   10th         
2017/18     Blue Square Premier    8th       
2018/19     Blue Square Premier    2nd        Promoted via Play-offs
2019/20     Coca Cola League 2    21st
2020/21     Coca Cola League 2    12th
2021/22     Coca Cola League 2    16th 

Trophy Cabinet -

• Blue Square North Runners-Up Trophy
  • Blue Square Premier Play-off Winners Trophy

• Replies 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well board takeover completed. and gutted, no investments in facilities. guess im stuck with average for the rest of my career. ived asked every month last year.. 4 years in a row they say they are investing, but nothing happenes at all. this was my last hope.

Hmm, maybe when you ask you have the finances for an upgrade and they say yes but when it comes to decision time there isnt money available.

If not probably a bug and worth reporting it.

Ived reported it, as i throughout the season have had about 70m euros in the bank :(

Edit: At least now they say they are getting increasingly annoyed at my persistent request.. so im really hoping something will actually happen now, as they never said that, even when i asked 20 times in a row.

I'm at around the same level as last season, but that may because I have predominatly the same squad with a few minor changes. I have a couple of players coming in the January window. Just wondering what sort of takeover I am getting this time and when it will be sorted. Already had a promotion from within fail, and havent heard anything else for a month, but chairman still wants to leave.

I'm at around the same level as last season, but that may because I have predominatly the same squad with a few minor changes. I have a couple of players coming in the January window. Just wondering what sort of takeover I am getting this time and when it will be sorted. Already had a promotion from within fail, and havent heard anything else for a month, but chairman still wants to leave.

You've had a fair few takeovers in this game, everyone must love Eastwood and then find the seat uncomfortable

Am in a strange place with FM09, I want to play, but I can't find a team and league that I'm happy with :(

You've had a fair few takeovers in this game, everyone must love Eastwood and then find the seat uncomfortable

Am in a strange place with FM09, I want to play, but I can't find a team and league that I'm happy with :(

What sort of leagues do you like and what sort of teams?

Yeah I have had plenty of takeovers and the latest rumour is that it will be another board member, providing the transfer embargo doesnt happen until after the upcoming transfer window, I don't care!

What sort of leagues do you like and what sort of teams?

Yeah I have had plenty of takeovers and the latest rumour is that it will be another board member, providing the transfer embargo doesnt happen until after the upcoming transfer window, I don't care!

1st of Jan - Embargo start, 31st of Jan - Embargo Ends <--- you can just see it happening :p

I usually play as Spurs but after doing that most of FM08 have found it boring this time, and after doing this challenge I've found other LLM challenges (i.e. Gundo's) also boring (so far). Have not done International management, but that alone lacks enough games :p Am getting fussy in my old age I think - lol. Tempted to start another career game again but not sure howewell my PC will run multiple countries.

1st of Jan - Embargo start, 31st of Jan - Embargo Ends <--- you can just see it happening :p

I usually play as Spurs but after doing that most of FM08 have found it boring this time, and after doing this challenge I've found other LLM challenges (i.e. Gundo's) also boring (so far). Have not done International management, but that alone lacks enough games :p Am getting fussy in my old age I think - lol. Tempted to start another career game again but not sure howewell my PC will run multiple countries.

Nooo, its worse than an embargo, he's selling my top players again in January. What did I do to deserve this guy and why won't he leave already!

Just hope I get enough of the fees that I can rebuild or else I will be dropping down the table far too fast.

Nooo, its worse than an embargo, he's selling my top players again in January. What did I do to deserve this guy and why won't he leave already!

Just hope I get enough of the fees that I can rebuild or else I will be dropping down the table far too fast.

Am pleased that only happened to me the once, after that happened I stuck minimum fee clauses in all good players contracts and it didn't happen again although I can't confirm whether it was that or the chairman saw sense.

Am pleased that only happened to me the once, after that happened I stuck minimum fee clauses in all good players contracts and it didn't happen again although I can't confirm whether it was that or the chairman saw sense.

Out of my many multiple chairman, this has definitely been the one that has annoyed me the most. The only thing I can say that may make this make sense, is both players were transfer listed by request and want to move to bigger clubs. Luckily they aren't both in the same position, but I bring all these good South Americans over to England, only for them to screw me and leave once they realise they can earn more elsewhere in Europe

I only had one South American player, who I'd had for a few seasons, who also had a £50M minimum fee release clause, so he was going no-where, even if unhappy :p I generally find most South American youths in this game never player as well as you think they would.

I've had a run of them that have been pretty good, and if I can get past the appeal I have a cheap replacement for the striker lined up, I hope. I would rather marginally over pay for the foreign talent, than dramatically overpay for the English players, especially given I rarely have a decent transfer budget.

Bradford Park Avenue - 2015/16 Blue Square Premier midseason mini-update

It's time once again for the New Year's Day report...

Well, I suppose we haven't really been overly disappointing, having not dropped into the bottom half at any point, but at the same time I'm not really seeing any significant progress compared with last year. We're in 8th place right now, which is actually a bit down from 6th at this point last year. Pretty much the whole second quarter has been spent fluctuating between 8th and 10th. With 41 points from the first 24 matches, we're five points out of the playoff positions and ten behind league leaders Bournemouth.

Finances: About the same as last year, but there was a noticeable upsurge in December thanks to a televised FA Cup match (more on that later). Bank balance is up above -£350k for the first time in over five years.

Players: My squad (well, those who actually get any playing time, anyway) is virtually unchanged from last year. I made another upgrade at goalkeeper, though he really hasn't been that impressive so far, and neither has the parent club loan in midfield. Those were my only two transfers in. However, in an attempt to fix the squad harmony problems from the second half of last season, I released almost twenty players who weren't getting any playing time, the vast majority of them sitting in the reserves with one-star ratings from my assistant manager. That worked, although so far I'm not really seeing the on-pitch improvement I expected as a result.

Cups: We reached the second round of the FA Cup for the first time and were rewarded with a televised home match against League One-leading Preston. Alas, the talent gulf was quite evident and the three-nil scoreline didn't flatter the visitors. We'll gladly take the £80k in TV revenue, though. Still on the agenda: a CLC quarterfinal against King's Lynn and an FA Trophy second-round match against Cambridge City.

Goals for the rest of the season:

• Win the Conference League Cup (hey, that's the only way we can beat last year's performance)
  • Reach the 4th Round of the FA Trophy (may as well aim high, right? Board expects 3rd Round)
  • Make sure Mark Tulloch realizes that this actually isn't a contest to find out who can get banned for the greatest number of games in a single season (he's already been suspended for five of the last ten matches)
  • Reach the promotion playoffs

Ugh, not used to being on the receiving end of these kinds of comebacks. :(

Has anyone had the squad react badly to a press conference? I always have the squad has reacted well.

It happened a couple of times back when I attended them myself, but not often. Ever since my assistant took over the squad seems to always end up reacting well.

Success. After a media prediction of finishing last in League 2 in my first visit to League 2, I secure automatic promotion with 1 game remaining. There's an outside chance of capturing my first league crown as I sit 3 points behind both Stockport and Oxford, but Oxford have a 8 goal lead in goal differential. Oh well, I'm more than happy to take 2nd or 3rd and automatic promotion. I've always promoted through playoffs, so this takes the pressure off the final game of the season against the 6th place Northampton who currently haven't clinched a playoff spot (All but assured though). They'll definitely be fighting for points though as they could finish 4th with a win, but a loss could realistically drop them to 7th and the final playoff spot.

Looks great:thup:

I need to get out of the small club mentality. I still can't bring myself to spend more than a couple of million on a player.

My coaches rate him as twice as good as my next best player in that position.

He is my record signing at the club, I keep spending more and more on players because I think I need to to compete properly.

12 years after the Fans Trust took over the club, they have sold up to a consortium. The welcome message says they are thinking of replacing me as manager. Can't help but be a bit worried about this given the past few takeovers havent even mentioned the possibility of me being replaced. They are upgrading my youth facilties though apparently, which my last board said wouldn;t happen as we had pretty good ones already.

Fingers crossed you get to keep the job.

My board are very stable if a bit unambitious. They have given me the best training facilities possible and agreed another Youth Facilities upgrade (which will max them out I think) but when I saw their stadium plans at the end of the season I was disappointed...492 seats to take us up to a magnificient 7000 capacity stadium :rolleyes:

I'll have the full report (and more sarcasm aimed at the board) when I got home this evening.

Very shortsighted of them...my Youth Facilities moved to Good last season and after years of producing BSP quality players I had an ST with leading premiership potential and an AMC with good premiership potential come through.

Can't wait to see what the next improvement brings.

I'm starting out with Boston United.

Starting Profile

I've been a bit busy and haven't posted yet, although I've got to March. Expect an end of season update very soon!

So far I won the Setanta Shield (by the skin of my teeth) and top the table after 31 games.

I'll post my transfer history at the end of the season. I signed up all those Premier League rejects and offloaded my entire squad. It took a while for them to gel (I started badly), but now we are playing great football!

Still don't understand how anyone gets former premier league players to sign for them when in the BSS, BSP or even League 2. I was established in League 1 before anyone released from a premier league club would even discuss a contract.:(

I was the same, I coulnt even get Championship players until league 1.

BigArgon's Season 8 Boston united ~ promoted to Coca-Cola 2

had a good year we were pretty dominant in BSP. just fell short of first place by one point. the playoffs were rough with both rounds going to a shoot out (man i hate @%*$& shootouts). any way we advanced. right now i feel i have a pretty balanced team. We finally got out of debt, were in the black.

here is how we've done so far...

2016/2017 2nd place and was promoted to League Two from Blue Square.

2015/2016 11th place and stayed in Blue Square.

2014/2015 11th place and stayed in Blue Square.

2013/2014 3rd place and was promoted to the Blue Square from the Blue Square North-South.

2012/2013 5th place and stayed in Blue Square North-South.

2011/2012 23rd place and was relegated to Blue Square North-South from Blue Square.

2010/2011 1st place and was promoted to the Blue Square from the Blue Square North-South.

2009/2010 17th place and stayed in Blue Square North-South.

2009/2010 bigargon2 started his game in Blue Square North-South

standings

My Squad the scoring has been very balanced with 3 10 goal scorers. I also got a good amount of scoring from my DC's, via corner kicks.

I had MVP this year ~

Josh Worthington he was my "playmaker" for this year.

Steven Carter

had another excellent year both with assists and goal scoring.

goals for next year:

1. avoid relegation from CC2

2. find a striker that isn't afraid to drive to the net and finish or has a nervous breakdown if they don't score goals every game.

3. continue to strengthen squad

4. convert from semi-pro to pro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by daemonic

Still don't understand how anyone gets former premier league players to sign for them when in the BSS, BSP or even League 2. I was established in League 1 before anyone released from a premier league club would even discuss a contract.

I was the same, I coulnt even get Championship players until league 1.

It's the new patch - after my first season in League 2 I was the same as you but after installing 9.0.2 it became much easier...

It's the new patch - after my first season in League 2 I was the same as you but after installing 9.0.2 it became much easier...

Even after patching to 9.0.2 only players release from clubs in the division above me were interested. And usually only if they were released from one of the lesser clubs in that division i.e. when in the Championship if I approached a released Liverpool, Arsenal etc player I couldn't even get them to discuss a contract.

Not a big deal now but odd that some find it so easy.

My method was to look at their transfer histories and wait until the players were released on a free. I didn't get them all, but I placed so many bids that I eventually created a whole first team and subs bench!

I know Boston have a good starting reputation, maybe that's it?

I only ever targeted released players too. The rep thing could be the reason alright. Lowly Ramsgate must not be as desireable a destination.

Gypsum's Merthyr Tydfil - End of season update - Premier league - 2017/18

A good season in all. It was disappointing to go out of the Champions league in the first knockout round, especially to an AC Milan side who we beat to win the Super Cup early in the season. Although not having cup competitions to contend with definitely helped us maintain our excellent late season form, and saw us rise from a regular 5th place to challenge for the title and finish third. Qualifying for the Champions league next season will boost the coffers and will hopefully see us challenge a dominant Arsenal side.

League table

Squad summary;

Squad selection info

Squad General info

Key players;

ST Tom McKenzie - My first wonderkid with Merthyr and he just keeps getting better and better. Had his best season ever despite strike partner Are Jenssen failing to find form for most of the season. Attracted interest from all the big clubs, with Chelsea making a £16.5m + clauses bid, however Tom has expressed his loyalty to Merthyr and I am delighted to keep him. He won the English players' Young player of the year award for the second season running. A powerhouse up front and a legend in the making, my player of the season.

AMR Chris Holbrook - Signed on a free from Man City at the start of the season, Chris was one of an influx of young English talent in my Merthyr side and was the outstanding performer. His sheer pace and work rate saw him involved in every match he played and earned him third place in the English players' Young player of the year awards.

DC Sam Fox - Solid as a rock in the back line for Merthyr and England. Fox was awarded the 2016/17 European defender of the year award for the second year in succession.

I've managed to pick up about 6 or 7 Coca Cola League 1 potential players that were released from Championship and Premiership clubs in my first year as manager of AFC Hornchurch (2009/10 in BSS).

I aimed at young players released on a free from Premiership/Championship clubs and most came to me for under £300 pw on part time contacts.

My Best catch was Christopher Ramsey - 19 y.o Centre Back released from Man City

Archived