JoseRR's FM09 Big Euro Nation Challenge!

I actually think this is the first file I've had on any FM where I've been relegated! Thats not me blowing my own trumpet I think I've been in similar situations but just lost interest in the file so never 'officially' got relegated. I think I'm in a state of shock. :(

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh brilliant as soon as I got the official message that we were relegated Claudio Gambini our record signing in his 2nd spell with us requests a transfer. Nice.

This will be a tough summer I think. I'll do well Des to keep hold of the key men. One thing I do desperately need is a new GK - I'm completely fed up with Salerno. Also interestingly Marco Erba hates Gambini and Rossi - maybe he blames them for relegation?!

iacovone's "Savona Youth" End of Season Report - 2017/18

Predicted Finish: 20th

Actual Finish: 19th

I guess looking at the predicted league finish and our odds of 2000-1 to win the league, I should have known better. Relegation was inevitable really for Savona and despite our best efforts ultimately we just weren't good enough. We didn't score enough goals - our top goalscorers got 6 each (and one was Erba from midfield). We weren't solid at the back. And the keeper options were similar - weak. Improvements need to be made to get back up.

I think my decision to change to a 3-6-1/3-5-2/5-4-1 formation wasn't the wisest and I am to blame here. I have to hope that I'm given some money to reinforce the squad and pick off the fellow relegated side's talent too. I am leaving sentiment at the door this summer and relieving the squad of the dead wood. Its time to make a full on assault for Serie A once more.

Mauricio Gonzalez my Uruguayan CB/RB becomes the first Savonisti

to appear at the World Cup having been called up to the squad. That made me quite proud :cool:

The 'Best' of the Squad:

Rolando Bianchi - Did ok most of the year, didn't get enough goals, but he wasn't alone in that respect. 1 year left on his contract.

Emmanuele Crippa - Fairly good debut season from him and probably my player of the year. I like him a lot.

Lorenzo De Martis - Good year from a solid player, expecting him to leave though.

Diego - Not the sensational signing I'd hoped he'd be. Very average.

Massimo Dima - Did well when he played. Pity I didn't play him more :mad:

Marco Erba - Soon to be new Club Captain after Gambini leaves. Great Savona player, nearing iconic status I'd imagine.

Claudio Gambini - Our best player on paper but needed him to be influential on the pitch. Too good for us now really. He was named fans player of the year. Asta la vista!

Riccardo Rotunno - First full season for the prodigal talent. He has come on leaps and bounds but still doesn't score enough. Hopefully his confidence will increase with a year in Serie B.

The Rest:

Stadia

Info

Squad

Graph

Goal of Season

Best Ever XI - 11 new entries. That really disappointed me, basically just because they played for us in Serie A meant they usurped some of the clubs leading appearance holders :thdn:

Best XI

Plans:

Well the youth facilities are being improved once more, we'll be nearing in on State of the Art soon \o/. In terms of the squad this relegation has made me realise that there is a lot of dead wood - a lot of 'clingers-on' - players not good enough to justify being here but loyal enough that I'd kept them on. I now realise that they have been detrimental to our harmony in the squad. Not enough winners! Too many just happy to be there! Out you go. Now we also have to deal with the Erba, Gambini, Rossi hate triangle. It looks like I'll have no choice but to let Gambini go so long as its for the same we paid this time around. Rossi has been with us since 2nd season and I feel a lot of loyalty to him, but he was poor this year. Erba likewise has been with us for 6 seasons and is a very talented midfielder. Hopefully they'll resolve their differences asap and I can keep both.

Elsewhere:

I've definitely seen a bug. Morocco didn't name a single goalkeeper in their World Cup squad! Needless to say that they got smashed in their first two group games - 7-2 and 8-1!!

Also it seems Amir Cohen the chairman liked the taste of the top flight because his minimum expectation is that we get promotion this year. £16m to play with :D

quick update on Oviedo.... nine games in and we've only won 2 games... :( however, we've only lost one so the other 6 games have all been draws!! :eek: our away record is 5 draws out of 5... we've stopped scoring, with only 6 goals scored so far, although we've only conceded 5. if we can start scoring we'll be laughing....

in other news, Palacios has played his first game for the Colombian national team. :)

Speaking of Europe:

We dispatched Juvenes only 2-0 on aggregate but I suppose this is the equivalent of our pre season now so that'll do.

We were seeded for the 3rd qualifying round for some reason and drew Slaven Belupo from Croatia. Sure to be a sterner test but one I feel we could get through. And then who knows?!

Incredibly I've just discovered that due to the fact that we only collected 26 yellow cards and 1 red we have managed to sneak into the Uefa Cup for next season :eek:

Every cloud...

At least I was still in the top flight on my first European adventure, heading back this time starting in the second Qual Leg.

Well our European adventure has begun well with a 7-0 aggregate thrashing of Glentoran. We are now up against San Marinese side Juvenes in the 2nd Qualifying Round.

First Round I won 8-0 over some Lithuanian team :p

Speaking of Europe:

We dispatched Juvenes only 2-0 on aggregate but I suppose this is the equivalent of our pre season now so that'll do.

We were seeded for the 3rd qualifying round for some reason and drew Slaven Belupo from Croatia. Sure to be a sterner test but one I feel we could get through. And then who knows?!

C'mon 2nd Qual I dealt out another thrashing. Though third round i struggled to a 3-1 victory. As for the 4th League drawing Inter Milan was pure bad luck and saw me knocked out, hopefully 2019/20 does better for the club.

I got my Youth Facilities up to Adequate before I ran out of money, so looking to sell some of the hanger-ons over the Summer and get some cash in the bank again.

After 25 games at Real Oviedo, Nakano's side find themselves in 11th, with a 9 win, 7 draw, and 9 loss season. They are 14 points safe of relegation. We average about 14,250 fans a game, and I got over US$2.8 million in the bank. I have already signed 3 players (GK, ST, and MC/DM) for next season, all on frees. :)

Now I just need to find a DL for next season, and then I'm set. :D

Nice one rancer it seems like you've started well :thup:

And as for you Des :p

I just won 4-1 on aggregate in the 3rd Qualifying Round so ha!

Now if I can negotiate a tricky 4th round tie against Brondby, all bragging rights will be mine!! (except for the top flight issue....:()

Thanks iacovone :thup:

My squad is also relatively young (22 years average age), so there's hope for next season. :D

It's also quite fun in Spain. (Well the money kinda helps with the enjoyment :D)

I just lack depth so I think next season will be a lot better (hopefully). :)

After 25 games at Real Oviedo, Nakano's side find themselves in 11th, with a 9 win, 7 draw, and 9 loss season. They are 14 points safe of relegation. We average about 14,250 fans a game, and I got over US$2.8 million in the bank. I have already signed 3 players (GK, ST, and MC/DM) for next season, all on frees.

Now I just need to find a DL for next season, and then I'm set.

Yeah after Kipulo got too old to be useful anymore it took me a while to find The Monster, then he left to brighter pastures, so I have had a DC playing that side until I got Pantovic in July and he has been good so far.

Nice one rancer it seems like you've started well

And as for you Des

Now if I can negotiate a tricky 4th round tie against Brondby, all bragging rights will be mine!! (except for the top flight issue....)

Damn how come you get an easier draw than I did, thats seriously not fair...

Thanks iacovone

My squad is also relatively young (22 years average age), so there's hope for next season.

It's also quite fun in Spain. (Well the money kinda helps with the enjoyment )

I just lack depth so I think next season will be a lot better (hopefully).

All I need is some money and my team would be able to compete with the top 3, this is turning into a serious issue for Fafe. I need money, I am tempted to sell everyone except those with potential higher than current to just get some money in the bank, I think if I sold everyone except my starting XI for half their Values I would get about 12 million or so haha.

Thats a pretty strange set of results there Richard! And no goals? I can only guess that the KING is not playing!?

And yes har de har har about the Como situation!! :D

Did Como make Europe though?

that's the thing, the King is fit. he's struggling a bit too, although he has picked up a bit... i even put him on the bench a couple of games!! :eek: finished with a win last night to be 3-6-1 (your formation... :)) strangly, after 10 rounds the top team has only won 5 games so it's all to play for....

Como didn't make Europe, no. but then again you only made it because your players are all pansies who wouldn't say boo to a goose!! :p maybe if they'd tried tackling you'd still be in Serie A.....

HA HA

So hang on that means no-one made Europe at all in FM08 from this thread, which means I was the first JoseRR challenger to Europe :D:D

And even better I am also the first to make it twice to Europe, hopefully unless Iacovone gets an amazing victory in his 4th Qual Leg I can be the first to make it to a Group Stage haha. I am a bit gutted that I have to make the top 2 to qualify for the Champs League though, I need to get to Europe to start lifting our coefficent cause currently the Portuguese teams are just dragging it down for me.

Also my Edited Database has 3 Leagues complete: Basque, East Germany & West Germany, and I have it running on Holiday, after 3 seasons all three have lifted their current Coeffecient's, no Euro titles yet, but the three nations are starting to progress in the Club European level, all of them are still strugling on the international front, but mainly because their own clubs are not producing players for their nations yet as they are still at Stadiums in their original nations, but once I get all the leagues set up I will change the cities over.

So hang on that means no-one made Europe at all in FM08 from this thread, which means I was the first JoseRR challenger to Europe :D

Yes, Des it seems you are.... :thup: i'd have done it with Como if my computer was quicker and i could have played it more.... ;):D

sounds promising on your old world database then too. fingers crossed.

Savona 2018/19 Summer Window Update:

Thought I'd introduce the new faces to you all :)

Tommaso Cilona - Actually arrived in January but didn't play much part in the Serie A relegation struggle. He is now the DM of choice since Gambini was sold this summer to Bayern Munich for £9m

Salvatore Gualtieri - Bought off Atalanta for a very tidy £3.5m as they dropped down to Serie B with me. Will add some much needed firepower up top.

Michal Rezak - A CB or SW able to cover any of the 3 central defensive positions but will probably actually start ahead of most of them.

Nikola Antonelli - Found him on a free transfer after his release from Roma. I needed a 3rd natural CM to add competition to Crippa and Erba.

Jyri Makela - Solid looking RWB signed on a pre contract from Hibs. I bet he didn't expect to be joining us in Serie B though!

Laudenisio - Another signing on a pre contract from a couple of years ago. Will hopefully develop nicely this year.

Luca Fuser - Found whilst scouting the Italy U21 squad and came at a reasonable £300k price. Has good potential.

Marco Antonio - Potentially my best signing of the summer. Finally a GK with the ability required of a team expected to go back up and compete in Serie A.

Guys just to let you know I'm going to start up Gundo's challenge soon as well. Savona is definitely still going to be running, just not at the pace of a season every 3 days!!

i will confess to doing the same.... i have actually holidayed in Bulgaria and had a little poke about at the teams. was planning on doing the same in Ukraine. i would only look at leagues with short seasons as i can get through them quicker, even if only played twice a week say. could probably do a season in 5-6 nights.

HOWEVER, Oviedo will still live on and i will reach the top with them, even if it kills me!! :D and a Gundo challenge game would be my 'other' game i dipped into every now and again.... Oviedo will always remain my 'main' game.

Same here I think Richard, although I'm sure interest will come and go from each file. Look forward to seeing you over there.

(I feel like such a traitor....)

tell me about it... i feel dirty!! :o :D i've always been someone who starts quite a few games, well until Como last year.... Considering FM09 has been out for nearly 3 months, it's a miracle i've only started two games so far!! i'll always have a game going here as i believe in the challenge and want it to prosper and rival Gundo's....

2009-2010 Real Oviedo S.A.D.

Media Prediction: 14th

Finishing Position: 11th

Spanish Cup: N/A

Spanish Federation Cup: N/A

Squad

Squad

A good squad I think. It's a bit short on depth but I signed some reinforcements for next season.

Transfers

Transfers

Basically signed everyone I needed for my squad. Actually had some money so I splashed $100k on one of them. He's only worth $30k now though. :p

Future Transfers

My future transfers for 2010-2011. I scouted for young players in Italy, and I signed these players...

Dario Campagna (he did sign with us)

Anssi Jaakkola

Ogude

Andrea Paolucci

Key Players

GK - Adrian Murcia Rodriguez - did very well. Not sure if he will be the starter next year though, with Jaakkola coming in...

DC - Alberto Rodriguez Nebreda - my best player. He has lots of potential.

MC - Gaston Minutillo - another very good player. Very consistent too.

ST - Alvaro - My highest goal scorer. Can't wait for him and Ogude to team up together next year.

Finances

Finances

Recession? What recession? ;)

Club Information

Club Info part 1

Club Info part 2

Goals for the next year

• a top 10 finish
  • make another nice profit :D
  • score more goals

Season       Team          League                   Finished
2009-2010    Real Oviedo   Spanish 2nd Division B1      11th

Top 10 Finish? C'mon where is the ambition?

As for the finances I think you need to all learn how it is to fight to the top with nothing, see JoseRR 08 Des Tiny as Domegliara, or JoseRR 09 Des Tiny as AD Fafe. I cannot make money to save myself...luckily now I am string enough that relegation will not come knocking on my door, but I really need money to overtake the big three.

Top 10 Finish? C'mon where is the ambition?

As for the finances I think you need to all learn how it is to fight to the top with nothing, see JoseRR 08 Des Tiny as Domegliara, or JoseRR 09 Des Tiny as AD Fafe. I cannot make money to save myself...luckily now I am string enough that relegation will not come knocking on my door, but I really need money to overtake the big three.

Good to keep expectations low, Des. :p

I signed a few more players released from Spanish youth teams in a mail. I think I can win the league to be honest with you...just that I've been inconsistent the past season (beating up good teams, but I always lost points against the bad ones...)

And I'm used to being cheap and winning with nothing at Rizhiquan. Buy low, sell high is my motto. :D

Yeah I have mainly bought low, but sometimes I spend some money on it. But they always disappoint when I spend money haha.

As for the good against the top teams, I have done that since the beginning, but the low teams have always been a let down. Like losing 4-1 to Trokense who then got relegated...

Not been in here with an update in a while so for those that remember this:

Nice one rancer it seems like you've started well :thup:

And as for you Des :p

Now if I can negotiate a tricky 4th round tie against Brondby, all bragging rights will be mine!! (except for the top flight issue....:()

I can continue and tell you we did negotiate our way past Brondby in the 4th Qual Round of the Uefa Cup. So despite being in Serie B, we have made it to the official first round of the Uefa Cup :D! We beat Brondby 2-0 on aggregate. All goals in the 2nd leg.

We've been put in a group against Rennes, Mattersburg and Shaktar. I reckon we stand a chance :cool:

EDIT: Just had 5 league games rearranged for it. After some thought, I think I may have to enjoy the outings rather than attempt to qualify because my squad will be knackered come the end of the season. 42 league games, minimum of 14 Uefa Cup games and minimum of 3 Italian Cup games. Oops. :(

Well well well. We lost 1-0 at home to Shaktar in our 2nd group game but we have just well and truly spanked Mattersburg 5-1 at home :cool:

At 1-1 we went down to 10 men right before half time. Riccardo Rotunno the young whizkid came on to play up top on his own and what a difference he made. 4 goals! 2 his own making. 2 he was beautifully played in by Di Pinto. Wonderful stuff.

If only our league form wasn't so dismal (12th after 9 games!)

Archived