ME loves Mezzalas shooting vs. midfielders

Since changing midfielders roles from CM(S) to Mezzala (A/S) I have noticed they are scoring more goals from outside the area, or at least getting more shots on goal. 

Previously I would have been playing the exact same players, with the exact same abilities, with the exact same team instructions but they would have been balloooning those shots wide. 

It almost seems that the ME has a pre-determined outset whether or not you shall score. Despite being in a good position or not, thou ME shall decide. 

The behavior of the Mezzala is very different when in compare with the CM, so it's natural that his movement is different and he will appear in different areas of the pitch in particular the areas just outside the box, that perhaps, in your tactic, make him appear in a better position to shot and score. 

I love the mezzala. They are beasts when played in wingerless tactics. AI simply cannot handle them. Have been running Goncalo Guedes in that role in my Valencia save and he ended up with more goals the the strikers. But you definitely need the right system to get those kind of results. It's not that the ME favours them, it's just that they are more likely to get into the halfspace just outside the box that is the sweet spot for scoring long-distance goals. So if you have a right player with good long shots or PPMs (I'm thinking Pogba) you can really take advantage.

22 hours ago, DjangoSrna said:

Previously I would have been playing the exact same players, with the exact same abilities, with the exact same team instructions but they would have been balloooning those shots wide. 

With roles that are vastly different, and which therefore will change entirely how you side plays. Nothing really exists in isolation in FM. Changing to a mezzala changes the movement this player makes from midfield. It changes passing options. It changes where and how you create space. I would suggest reading on the posts on what different players do and how to combine them. This is quite fundamental.

22 hours ago, DjangoSrna said:

It almost seems that the ME has a pre-determined outset whether or not you shall score. Despite being in a good position or not, thou ME shall decide. 

Of course it does not. It does not even prefer one role over another. The Mezzala is not a special role that makes goals happen. I get more goals from CM(A). But that it because my tactic is set up to get this guy some chances. The ME rewards well designed tactics that create space and chances for players. 

Archived