[FM19] From Witness Protection to Delicious Redemption- Fabian Schulz's Nordic Journey (Redux)

oriole01

NAG2016.thumb.jpg.c373d7ecef2182a9979cb9dcf8392ddc.jpg
Nagtoralik-45
2025 GBU Indendørs Semi Final
9eaf34d30b33c5a738ffa2a133185990.png
Well, all I can say is there are still better teams in Greenland than us out there. NUK scored four goals on the night, three of them absolute screamers that Lars Aabech could do nothing about. Oddly, it was left back Anton Enoksen who was the only one in a goalscoring mood for us, reducing our arrears twice in the match from close range, but ultimately we had no answer for our opposition's top-class performance. It's disappointing not to be able to grab revenge against NUK, but as always, the indoor championships aren't our priority.

image.thumb.png.3b629500772f5ac63317957a7e69c9e1.png
Titans Nagdlunguaq and NUK faced off again in the indoor finals, with NUK winning the title in a crazy match after extra time. This is their third indoor trophy on the save, and their second in a row.

Let's see if this is our year outdoors.
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nagtoralik-45
2025 Coca-Cola GM
As I don't have the draw screenshots necessary to do individual posts on these, I'll be covering all of this year's outdoor competition in one big post.
Qualifying
7407f93e4f2cd6f096e43f1928f4b90a.png
We were hardly convincing in the opening stage, but we managed to scrape three wins against Siuteroq, Eqaluk, and Kalak, which was enough to counteract the poor home draw to Narsaq and away loss to Kissaviarsuk.
41d125fe8f80d6a77dcf6bb69fcbc3e0.png
Despite failing to score more than a single goal in any of the five games, we went through in second place, just ahead of Eqaluk and well behind a perfect Kissaviarsuk. Job done.

Slutrunden
In the Slutrunden we were drawn with two eastern sides in Ukaliatsiaq and Sermiligaaq, and two Midtgrønland sides in fallen giants IT-79 and NUK IL once more.
29f75b826a87e90fa342ad685b8246d5.png
We played much better than in qualifying, but despite the unbeaten record, we were close to failing to qualify here. Following a game in which we surrendered a 3-1 lead and a man advantage against Ukaliatsiaq and a narrow win against underdogs Sermiligaaq, we disappointingly dropped two points against bottom-of-the-group IT-79, leaving us in need of a win at NUK IL to advance, a feat we hadn't managed on the save before... until this time. When we conceded first to Tobias Jensen's strike on 14', I was fearing more of the same, but we exploded for four goals in a span of eight minutes in the first half, then added a fifth through Morten Martinusen on 50'. NUK, however, started to make us sweat, as they reduced the deficit to 5-3 with two quick goals on 64' and 68'. We were the ones controlling proceedings after that, though, and we actually had two further goals disallowed in what was a memorable day on the attacking front. When the final whistle blew, we had finally vanquished one of our worst bogey teams, qualifying for the semi finals in their place and leaving us to wonder if this was indeed our year.

61ac961a16d2746f6c161ed9487a9c65.png
Ukaliatsiaq moved on with us, as did Nagdlunguaq and Malamuk from the other group. A trip to the north in the form of Malamuk awaited in the semi finals.

Semi Final
7f068ce0fce21327f3e7d62e7303bb4c.png
The semi final was always going to be a tough match, especially away from home, so I'm delighted that we were able to win it. We took the lead through winger Hans Brummerstedt's half-volley, but Jens-Kaali Qvist would steer home an equalizer to finish the first half at 1-1. We retook the lead on 68' thanks to Isak Lyberth's cool one-on-one finish, and going into the final stages of the match we looked safe, but in what I was sure was an obvious reminder of the curse that may or may not be placed on us, we conceded through a calamitous own goal from a routine headed backpass, as Aabech somehow let Taatsiaq Mathiesen's delivery slip through his gloves. Extra time became necessary, and I grew even more worried when Lyberth got himself a second yellow card for handball on 106', but thankfully Malamuk matched our indiscipline nine minutes later, as Marco Leibhardt brought down Nicolas Højgaard in the box, earning his second yellow and, more crucially, a penalty kick. Højgaard, now nursing an injury, stepped up and smashed that penalty home, winning us the match and finally ending our six-year wait for a spot in the outdoor final.

Nagdlunguaq defeated Ukaliatsiaq 1-0 in the other semi final, meaning that in order to take home the Greenlandic title, another bogey team would have to be put away in Nuuk.

Final
 47c0fb6729ed52b751a79b59b7d4071b.png
In the end, we weren't strong enough to beat Nagdlunguaq, as we were greatly weakened through several injuries and suspensions, most notably to prolific striker Isak Lyberth following his red card in the semis. The final started horribly, as Thomas Svenningsen nicked a poor backpass off of center back Sebastian Andersen and slotted home what would become Nagdlunguaq's title-winner after just three minutes. We were quite lucky to have only conceded one goal, however, as our opponents dominated this game and hit the woodwork a staggering four times in the last ten minutes of the match, two of them from absolute sitters. We tried to take advantage of their misfortune, but we could only do as well as hit the woodwork ourselves, twice coming within inches of an equalizer but ultimately dropping a close game to our rivals once again. Naturally I was gutted to have come all the way to the final and lost, but we were never the better team here and Nagdlunguaq are deserved champions for the second time on this save. All it means is something I'm quite used to having to come to terms with: another season in Greenland will be required.

1750287095_greendivider.thumb.png.a7f4986a7d24ebb27f9ebb8a41f4dab5.png
That's our seventh season.
4a978ebab3a07c8137bf848977296bfc.png
DM Steffen Nielsen sweeps our awards this year, having scored a career-high 6 goals and contributed 4 assists.
ccbbe1deed5ccf15dd9d1ee25a3162e3.png
Lyberth, who's now 34, only got a little under half of his goal tally from last season. He'll be staying with us next year, but it remains to be seen if he can continue to lead the line for us. Dennis Lind and Nicolaj Højgaard have been good for us, but neither have proven they can match the levels of peak Lyberth as of yet.
0c500d0fe1da1e58a705bd715b34ac0e.png
One day.

Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

Nagtoralik-45
2026 Pre-Season
3692070743a10d43a4014aabaa36cdd0.png
Still predicted for 4th these days, despite reaching our farthest ever stage in the outdoors last season.

Transfers
da8cec4fc7154d7267d74bd4d50ca117.png
I've decided to make our first signing in two and a half years, bringing in highly-rated 20-year-old midfielder Stæhr from NUK. Though we already have Ulrik Espersen and Jesper Jørgensen at CM, I rate Stæhr higher than both of them, and I might be adjusting our formation into a three-man midfield to accomodate his arrival. Hopefully he can contribute a decent amount of goals from the middle of the pitch as he did at NUK for the first three seasons of his career.

Sebastian Stæhr

At the end of last season, we released a lot of players, most of them youth players whose names I didn't know, but we also released former first teamers in once-coveted young striker Oliver Lind, who was a complete flop in Paamiut, midfielder Morten Thomsen, and winger Klavs Johansen Svendsen. Two players who were integral to Fabian's first few seasons at Nagtoralik, striker Michael Jørgensen and winger Poul Erik Hansen, both retired at the age of 34 after spending several seasons outside of the first team. Pour one out.
ef0f2b8f81805ef72c950d2d6a8e70b8.png
The U19s were ahead for a significant stretch of the first match, but we recovered to win that game and then had no trouble in the second meeting, with Stæhr scoring a great long-range goal. Winger Adam Ghebrulul also impressed with four goals to earn a starting place for the opening game.

I refuse to believe that it's impossible to get out of Greenland. That might not matter much though.
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

On 07/11/2019 at 23:28, ManUtd1 said:

This is how I imagine you get to away games, by the way.

QFWe.gif

(Glad to have this back!)

They actually do travel to away games by dogsled in Greenland! Cheers!

On 09/11/2019 at 04:44, kidthekid said:

You know what they say "The 8th season is the charm."

I thought it was more like the 14th or something, but maybe I just haven't heard this version before.

Nagtoralik-45
2026 GBU Indendørs Qualifying, Part 1
f6d6024e16054ecd450bfde2ebd8cec5.png
We've started well in this competition, as we usually do. Though we got unlucky against Eqaluk on the first day, losing after 11 rounds of penalties, we recovered very well with wins over the other four sides, the most impressive being a 4-1 takedown of Kissaviarsuk on the road. Kjeld Frederiksen has been lighting things up so far, grabbing four goals and three assists already, which is as good a sign as any that he might be recovering the sort of form he found back in his first season here (11G, 3A). I've also been impressed with Stæhr's first contributions in a Nagtoralik shirt, the seriously underrated winger Adam Ghebrelul, and young left back Emil Schou, who has been plucked from the heap of bodies in our U19 squad and has started thriving in the first team, as he filled in for an injured Anton Enoksen on the first day and quite remarkably got on the scoresheet within 15 minutes, then continued to play well throughout the first half of the indoor campaign. He'll at least be a rotational option from now on, though Enoksen has recovered from his injury. Lyberth continues to get on the scoresheet at 34, putting away any fears of a sharp decline for now. I'd definitely like to keep a clean sheet in the second half of fixtures, as we have an annoying habit of conceding in every match at the moment, no matter how dominant.

87262dd14cc795060735dd40e1165009.png
We are alone atop the group on 12 points, but Eqaluk and Kissaviarsuk are just three behind, so we'll need to stay focused in the second half. We do have a much higher goal difference than anyone else right now, so that should at least serve as a protective measure should we fail to keep our points advantage.

Let's go on and qualify for the finals again.
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

Nagtoralik-45
2026 GBU Indendørs Qualifying, Part 2

515dce0247a67b6bb89999a3acfce289.png
We were brilliant this month, as we won all five of our remaining fixtures to add onto the four from the first half. Only the Kalak game was close, and we saved the best for last, smashing rivals Siuteroq 5-1 away from home despite using a squad of almost exclusively second and third string players. Lyberth and Frederiksen continued their brilliant seasons, and young striker Gabriel Meyer also impressed, scoring two goals and providing three assists in the Siuteroq game.

c4e5bd1f5d403abac919c76ddece9275.png
We left no doubts about qualification, securing our place in the finals with a game to spare. This is our best ever performance in this qualifying stage, and indeed the best by any team in the south on the save so far.

Semi Final Draw
f2c510c8af2795cf440f3374d4355d3e.png
In the semi final, we've drawn a side we've become quite familiar with in recent seasons, eastern outfit TM-62. We faced them twice two seasons ago, beating them in the indoor semis but quite disappointingly losing to them in the outdoor semis. They did have the benefit of a red card for us in that second meeting, in addition to injuries and suspensions, but this time we'll be able to field a full-strength side in Nuuk, with no starters unavailable. Considering our form this season, this is a game we should win and win comfortably. But I did say that last time... and this is Greenland...

Let's get to our second ever indoor final.
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

Edited by oriole01

Nagtoralik-45
2026 GBU Indendørs Semi Final

b800ae76d8bb5863d4f65862f4041e13.png
We advance to the final, though this match wasn't all smooth sailing. Our defense was shaky to start, and we conceded first, Anders Olesen diverting in Peter Damgaard's volleyed drive from a corner on 22'. After spurning a few chances earlier in the match, club legend Isak Lyberth would get us back on track on 38', meeting Anton Enoksen's beautiful deep cross and beating the goalkeeper for height to head home and level the score. We waited until the second half to claim the lead for the first time from a corner of our own, Steffen Nielsen's delivery finding Lyberth at the back post, who flicked it on to Kjeld Frederiksen at the front post to tap in a header. Nielsen then struck for himself just two minutes later, firing a 25-yard free kick into the roof of net and strengthening our position in the match greatly. TM-62 tried their best to get back in the match, going on the attack and having a second goal narrowly disallowed for offside late on, but we kept our collective heads and saw out the lead until the final whistle.

We are into our second indoor final on the save, looking to win this time after a heartbreaking penalty loss following a 6-6 draw with NUK IL two years ago. Who will we face this time?
4693f016fc2e15f82f6bce4731a0df32.png
a6fdb7fac2f0169e65d688063cf8423d.png
It's a surprise opponent, as Disko Bay side Tupilakken haven't been much of a presence on the save, making the Slutrunden twice in the outdoors but never reaching the indoor finals until this season. They saw off a resurgent IT-79 side in the semis to book their spot in the final, who had beaten a credible Malamuk team in the first round. We'll be the favorites for this match, and an encouraging fact is that in our only meeting with Tupilakken two years ago, we smacked them 4-0. That's as good a sign as any that we should be able to do this.

Let's take home our first trophy.
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

Nagtoralik-45
2026 GBU Indendørs Final

f2b7b911535725b700ca96d66d56a0ea.png
We've done it! After three and a half years of playing Football Manager, I finally have won my first trophy of any kind. Though winning the indoor championship is not Fabian's ticket out of Greenland, it certainly has given him hope that he will secure that ticket in the near future.

Tupilakken put us under pressure early on, dominating possession and putting Lars Aabech to the test multiple times, tests which he was able to pass. While they were profligate with their chances in the first half, we took ours with half time closing in, Steffen Nielsen curling one low into the bottom-right corner from a signature free kick. Things would get even better just after the half, as our young winger Kasper Pedersen made a massive tackle on the right wing, then proceeded to cross the ball in to an unmarked Gabriel Meyer who fired a header off the crossbar and in. Tupilakken then showed their resilience, as just four minutes later, Mike Hansen rocketed a free kick into the top left corner to halve their deficit, then equalized through Nikolaj Thers' brilliant 25-yard strike on 69'. Naturally terrified of another Greenlandic heartbreak, I urged the lads forward to attack, and after some tense near-misses, that strategy paid off on 86', as following a cleared corner Ulrik Espersen flicked the ball onto our talisman Isak Lyberth on the edge of the area, who blasted the ball first time into the top-left corner and gave us our lead back in impeccable style. Though we missed two further golden chances to go 4-2 up, 3-2 would be enough, as we held on for the remainder of the match and lifted the indoor trophy for the first time!

7911856d74e06a1eb3dbfcfa4fcae7a5.png
Our victory in the final caps a brilliant run through the Indendørs, which saw us win 11 of our 12 games. We will go into the all-important outdoor season on insane form, but I'm fully aware that there are no guarantees, and we have to remain at our absolute best to get out of here. Regardless, this has already been our best season, and there's every reason to be believe that we can win another trophy this year.

To the open air!
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

NAG2016.thumb.jpg.c373d7ecef2182a9979cb9dcf8392ddc.jpg1200px-Europa_League.svg.png
Nagtoralik-45
UEFA Europa League First Qualifying Round
e18e2f71c6d240d964e46478fb6d378f.png
We qualified for the Europa League for the third time on the save following last year's runner-up performance in the GM, but we were handed another rough draw against Belorussian side Dinamo Brest, not to be confused with Dinamo Minsk, who we played at this stage two years ago.
8c493b50f9afb374b4996ed3ede18b07.png
To nobody's surprise, we didn't pull up any trees. Though we always find a way to score once in these ties (and Lyberth's goal in this tie was brilliant), we are simply unable to match any reputable opponent. I'm hoping we get really lucky on the draw one of this years so that we can stand a chance, but that hasn't happened yet.

Let's shift our focus back to Greenland, which is where it should be.
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

Nagtoralik-45
2026 Coca-Cola GM Qualifying
6fd5d124cabf2ead0fa7b48cb65d840c.png
Our form took a sudden and very unexpected downturn, dropping several points to teams we had dominated in the indoors. Though we recovered with two wins in the final two games...

4a260f7c296b1269642a15b8d34bac5f.png
It was too little, too late. I didn't think this could happen, especially coming off the back of a trophy, but complacency took its toll. We hadn't failed to qualify for the Slutrunden since 2019 before this, and for something like this to happen seven seasons later, in what was indisputably our best season on the save so far up until this point, is absolutely surreal.

2b3358e677bf297cb0f041b228a1118c.png
NUK ended up winning the title, beating Kuummiut, who managed to make yet another final. This outdoor trophy is massively overdue for NUK, as they had somehow gone the entire save without winning it until now despite their elite status. I just hope we're next.
That's our eighth.
f79dfe02df1083d09ff23c1abbbd39ca.png
Frederiksen is a deserved player of the year; he really came back into his own this season and was one of our best contributors. 
853eafc06e3d683dec8d6106fbf89faa.png
Lyberth continues to be a huge contributor in his mid-30s, and he would have scored more had our season not been cut short. Frederiksen and Meyer are starting to rival his goal tally, however.

2126cea96e3d36b4ebd875fbbf31816e.png
Surely I'll get out of here some day, right?
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

"The Frozen Locomotive"
Image result for polar express
I'm recapping the previous two years for all these, as some technical difficulties prevented me from doing this update after last season. No need to brace yourself; this will be the most boring ride yet.
Faroe Islands
(51st in UEFA Coefficient)

Image result for faroe islands flag
5f6cc48b6571e1bb2dd240632adfe0ea.png
B36 have won each of the last two titles in the Faroes, with KÍ finishing as runners-up both times as well.

Iceland
(35th in UEFA Coefficient)

Image result for iceland flag
5a4214a49861467a7cab12df7eb6c0f9.png
FH have also won each of the last two in Iceland, though second and third place have been very fluid, with Akureyri serving as a surprise runner up in the most recent season.

Finland
(33rd in UEFA Coefficient)

Image result for finland flag
cac53291fc0035613ec1847b240d85b2.png
Continuing a trend of title retentions, HJK have won the last two in Finland, making it three straight overall. I hope they don't become Finland's version of FCK or Rosenborg.

Norway
(20th in UEFA Coefficient)

Image result for norway flag
4e10a977fcc076fa2e38b49faf3e0837.png
Speaking of Rosenborg, they've won the most recent two in Norway, extending their streak to five. They've only failed to win the title once on the save... ugh. At least second and third are varied.

Sweden
(14th in UEFA Coefficient)

Flag of Sweden.svg
57d8c097ceff54d284e6fa003b6231bf.png
While Sweden was previously the most competitive league among the Nordic states, Djurgårdens have made the Allsvenskan their own, winning the past three. This trend is just... worrying.

Denmark
(13th in UEFA Coefficient)

Image result for denmark flag
cff647acc11f1d4c8d6f02b92b020c99.png
Eight in a row. Denmark sucks.

Nagtoralik-45
2027 Pre-Season
162bd149a3722e8d706072fb68770639.png
Predicted for 4th again. Tupilakken are now title contenders according to the Greenlandic press, as they've certainly risen in stature and performances in the last few seasons.

Transfers
1f156958504e7cefc7f94517f71f9c1f.png
We've brought in more competition at CB in the form of Hansen, who comes in from southern brethren Kissaviarsuk. With one starter- Nikki Petersen - getting older and the other- Morten Martinusen - not quite up to the same standard he had been at previously, Hansen should be a good young rotation option, with the potential to start if he performs well. 
John Hansen
Between the end of last season and the start of this one, we said goodbye to a few players, including central midfielder Nuutsi Kristensen- Fabian's first signing in Paamiut- who made 51 appearances for the club but had found himself relegated to making only one or two appearances off the bench in recent seasons. Backup CB Claus Nielsen Larsen (13 apps) made way for Hansen, and backup RB Marc Lindstrøm (12 apps) was also released, his spot taken by Nikolaj Carlsen, a 16-year-old promoted from the youth team.

609a5f6257f749862de80e4ab066c331.png
I certainly didn't enjoy getting pulled apart by our U19s in the second meeting, though for what it's worth, we did have a player sent off early. Gabriel Meyer looks poised to become Lyberth's successor, posting three goals.

And speaking of Lyberth...
3df5eb447dd99cda18c8e0db8d595fff.png
This will indeed be his final season, as he turns 36 in May. I really do feel like I have a duty to deliver the outdoor trophy to Nagtoralik's greatest ever striker and one of my favorite players on any save, but obviously I doubt we'll be able to do so. Regardless, he's been a club legend, and he will be missed after this last hurrah.

Can we please win it this season? For Lyberth's sake, at least?
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

Nagtoralik-45
2027 GBU Indendørs Qualifying
(I'm returning to one update for indoor qualifying instead of two, as this is a competition we've already won)
2ffbd9f402e7fe3749787357cb392381.png
If last year's performance in indoor qualifying was great, this was even better. A perfect 10 wins from 10, with two of those wins coming on penalties. If last season's collapse in outdoor qualifying hadn't happened, I would be able to say with confidence that we've truly conquered the south, but since it did, I won't be making such claims just yet. But there's no better sight than every circle on the fixture list being green. Frederiksen and Lyberth have picked up right where they left off last season, the latter doing so in what will hopefully be a legendary final campaign.

76ce4d80f0c920c8ebeabaab2440abf2.png
Despite our perfect form, we faced a stiff challenge for the top of the group from Kalak. They remained mathematically alive until the final day, when we beat them convincingly to secure top spot. A decent effort from them, but there would be no doubt about us going through to the semi final, where we'll face...
530a110eee63fa3057213bd4074df20b.png
Disko Bay side Kugsak, who consistently make national finals in either the indoors or outdoors each season. We've only played them once on the save, a loss back in the 2022 Slutrunden. It's been five years since that, however, and though they're a bit of an unknown quantity for us, we should be going through.

Let's try and get to our second straight indoor final.
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

Nagtoralik-45
2027 GBU Indendørs Semi Final
d61034ee50f617ceee51d338139fab56.png
A game in which we were our own worst enemy, we were absolutely wasteful in front of goal, and as we got more desperate to get the lead, we allowed Kugsak to take it instead, Morten Brix scoring from a hoofed assist over the top of our defense. This competition matters absolute naught to us anymore, but it's results like these that have me terrified that we're going to **** up in the outdoors again. It's our competitive first loss of the season, and I'm hoping it stays that way as we begin what I am begging will be our final assault on the outdoors.

4674526d2007d817512b4768a74bc88b.png
And Kugsak won it for the second time on the save, beating TM-62 in the final, who have now lost both finals they've appeared in.

Can we please get out now?
Tyr! Tyr! Tyr!

• 3 years later...

nagtoralik.png.4df71d19f224d22362f40b170833b8b0.png

Nagtoralik-45
A New Dawn

Well, I'm back. I have unfinished business, and I'm keen to finish it.

Nearly four years ago I deleted my previous save in a fit of rage after completing a ninth consecutive season without capturing the Greenlandic outdoor national championship, with the last two seasons both resulting in a bewildering failure to qualify from the regional qualification stage. I was happy to be rid of the save at the time, but over the years I came to deeply regret my decision. I grew a deep attachment to Nagtoralik and its players, and each time we came up short it only increased my desire to bring the squad the trophy they deserved. The unique Greenlandic league system was something I was a big fan of too. Many times I thought about starting over, but I was worried I wouldn't feel the same way about a new save without the presence of my favorite game-generated players like Lars Aabech, Morten Martinusen, Ulrik Espersen, or Steffen Nielsen. Starting over was complicated anyway by the fact that the database I used for the save on FM19 (which was far and away the best Greenland db I'd ever seen, not least because it included real Greenlandic players) was no longer available for download. Luckily I found the editor file hiding out on my family's old desktop I used to play FM on, which opened the door to starting over, but there was another possibility that presented itself as well. Early on in the save I had given a copy of the game file to my friend @BoxToBox to tinker around with tactics, and it turned out he still had it. I got the game file back from him, which I had last saved just after the end of my second season with Nagtoralik, the first time we had reached the outdoor national finals. This gave me a big decision to make. Continue the original save and keep all my favorite players (bar the ones who hadn't been generated by the game yet), or start anew with a clean slate and avoid overwriting my previous history?

In the end, I decided to start over. I felt uneasy with the prospect of rewriting the past on my old save, even if it meant I had to let go of the generated players. And more importantly, a new start meant I had the opportunity to modify the Greenland database to my liking and expand it to include even more clubs, club history, and graphics. The details of this undertaking will be in the next post. After multiple weeks of hard work, I had an improved db ready to go, and my sights firmly focused on bringing both Greenland's indoor and outdoor trophies to Paamiut where they belong. So for any old followers of this thread and perhaps some new ones, get your dog sleds ready and prepare to...
Mush! Mush! Mush!

• oriole01 changed the title to [FM19] From Witness Protection to Delicious Redemption- Fabian Schulz's Nordic Journey (Redux)