[discussion] improving international management

decapitated

As much as I enjoy it, International management is very barebones compared with club managements. What do you think could improve the experience? Here are some suggestions

1.@Per Annum made this suggestion in this thread in the general discussion thread and It's something I've come across in my games as international manager

3) Managing France far into the future and nearly every day there is a long list of news items about dual nationality newgen teenagers thinking what they should do, or end of career Ligue 2 journeymen. I think its very realistic national team staff should keep track of this, but maybe collate it into a single monthly message highlighting the few high-profile ones, only having individual news items if a sufficiently high profile does something drastic that day.

$) In journalist questions about item 3 - there is no response along the lines of "Well he is 31 and playing in Ligue 2, so maybe he should consider playing for Madagascar and not France". 

I've seen this managing both England and Spain. You get a constant stream of news items about dual nationality youngsters and in terms of England and Spain, no-hopers (some of whom would struggle to be called up for their other nations) and its both irritating and destroys the realism of the game to have constantly to deal with league 1 youth players and championship rotation players demanding to play for England. There was one guy with dual nationality with Morocco playing in la liga 2, who despite me telling him repeatedly via the press he had no chance of being called up for many years, still didn't choose Morocco. I think the monthly round up email is a good idea, along with being able to interact with any player at any time to let them know where they stand.

2. More interaction. 

This may already be in the game somewhere and I haven't noticed, but it would be great to have more interaction with players that isn't prompted. I'd like to warn players they need to play more regularly and move to club where that happens or they need to play for a bigger club without being prompted and by choice. I'd like to ask players and staff to recommend other players and staff like for club players, and warn/praise players depending on how they perform and conduct themselves internationally.

3 hours ago, decapitated said:

I've seen this managing both England and Spain. You get a constant stream of news items about dual nationality youngsters and in terms of England and Spain, no-hopers (some of whom would struggle to be called up for their other nations) and its both irritating and destroys the realism of the game to have constantly to deal with league 1 youth players and championship rotation players demanding to play for England. There was one guy with dual nationality with Morocco playing in la liga 2, who despite me telling him repeatedly via the press he had no chance of being called up for many years, still didn't choose Morocco. I think the monthly round up email is a good idea, along with being able to interact with any player at any time to let them know where they stand.

This puts me off international management on FM19. I became England manager on my beta save, and pretty much every week, I would get hit with messages about English teenagers who were also eligible for Wales, Republic of Ireland, etc. Of course, you can just ignore these messages, but I'd rather not see them unless there's actually a big decision to be made (e.g. David Brooks, Declan Rice).

Also, in my current save, I had a young Norwegian defender of French heritage on loan at my club. A year after he left, I got a news item that read something like, "He's withdrawn his declaration for Norway as he wants to wait for a chance with France." And I'm thinking, "Nicolas... you're a 19-year-old second-division player. You're not good enough to play for Norway's senior team yet, and you'll likely never be good enough for France. What is the point of this?"

3 hours ago, decapitated said:

This may already be in the game somewhere and I haven't noticed, but it would be great to have more interaction with players that isn't prompted. I'd like to warn players they need to play more regularly and move to club where that happens or they need to play for a bigger club without being prompted and by choice. I'd like to ask players and staff to recommend other players and staff like for club players, and warn/praise players depending on how they perform and conduct themselves internationally.

This was actually in FM13 but was taken out for some reason. I was very disappointed when I realised on FM17 that I could no longer warn a player that he needs to play more regularly (or at a higher level). The lack of options to praise/criticise players was also dispiriting.

I had a hugely frustrating experience as England manager with Marcus Rashford. At the age of 24, he was rotting on Manchester United's bench (or worse, playing in midfield) because he had to battle for a starting place with Ousmane Dembélé, Memphis Depay, Alexander Isak, Robert Lewandowski, Anthony Martial, Kylian Mbappé, Bernardo Silva AND Luciano Vietto. There was nothing to do to convince Rashford that, for example, he should have made his loan spell at Wolfsburg a few years earlier permanent. :(

I'm certain I've had press conference questions regarding players of mine and whether they should be playing in a better league because the NT manager has said so. If it's available as a reaction to a comment, so to speak, then surely it's available proactively to comment from a player controlled point of view?

• 1 year later...