About improving the balance

Hi,

I'm presently having a save with Padova in Serie B, and the side is one of the promoted sides form serie C and is predicted to be 18th on 19 teams. The balance is currently ~2M and my transfert budget is about 500k. I have have many players on loan and for the first season, I will use only loans or free agents, while scouting for cheap wonderkids for Serie B/mid-Serie A level. My question is in how much time i could realistically -and significantly- improve my balance and budgets (for exemple transfert budget of 10M)?

I really hate to take first division teams even if I'm pretty new to FM, as i prefer to build a team myself, but the downside would be that I'll be spending at least 4-5 seasons to just build up the financial aspect of the club, not enjoying the coaching itself (recruitment, tactics with players that fit in, etc. I may resign to do a save in Championship, at least the clubs are already rich and to top-quarter has good finances...

How do you guys manage to improves finances in clubs with very low balance and leagues that do not give as much money as English leagues?

Keep a tight reign on what you can control - the transfer and wage budgets.

Player contracts an be a killer if they have automatic rises in them (10% annual for example)

Get rid of any 'old wood' in the squad, they are probably the bigger earners, replace with younger and cheaper.

In tight financial situations I have a wage structure in place and stick to it:

Key Player contracts share 30% of wage budget

First Team contracts share 30%

Rotation/Backup contracts share 30%

Hot Prospect/Youth share 10%

The challenge in this save is to reach financial stability, if this can be achieved alongside success on the pitch then the process will be much quicker.

If you are only enjoying the football side of the game then a bigger, richer club might be better suited.

Thanks for the answer, @Snorks, it's appreciated.

I understand your point, however do you think playing a 2M balance club is a tremendous challenge or it is achievable for the "normal" FM player that isn't too much experienced in the financial aspect?

In how much seasons you think balance can go to 20M, 50M or 100M for example? ( i know this isn't exact science it's just to have a very approximative idea)

To be honest, I don't know how long it will take to reach those figures but yes, it is achievable for the 'average' FMer. 

You have to be disciplined enough to let a star player go and walk away from contract negotiations just because his agent is asking too much, he is asking too much or there are too many added bonuses being insisted upon.

I always 'Remove and Exclude' the annual increase - never had a player or agent complain about that one.

I would usually be happier to pay more as basic wage and less in incentives - that way your outgoings are generally more stable and predictable. Any incentives added should be for over-performing in a big way. So a Third Tier team - reaching the final of the FA cup for example. (I one took over a club and the players got paid out more in the competition bonuses that we earned in prize and TV money for the competition - won silverware and lost money doing it!)

Personally, I quite enjoy the long-term planning - transfers and wages impacted by the financial state of the club, 

My method of play' though is to start at a random club - starting a save I let the game pick a team for me. I then assess what I've got, is my priority building a winning team or getting to financially stable condition. If it's the latter how long do I give myself? So may be, I think that two seasons of meeting expectations but clearing out dead wood and creating a pathway for youth to come through, before aiming to exceed expectations.

To be fair, I rarely look at the club's balance - I focus on the wage and transfer budget, it's what I have control over. 2mil in the bank isn't too bad a place to start from, especially as a third-tier team.

Archived