How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

4th of May 2005

Having already taken Marcelo Moya from me earlier this season, Getafe returns to try to raid my pool of defenders again, bidding £825,000 for the talented David Livermore. It looks like that I need to renegotiate the Englishman’s contract again, because that is approaching his £1.5 million release clause, which is something I don’t want to face.

4th of May 2005

Copa del Rey - Semi-final, Second Leg: Cartagonova v Real Oviedo

With a 1-1 draw in Oviedo, the place in the final against the winner of the tie between Numancia and Real Betis. We waste no time establishing our superiority and set about opening up our account. But Emilio wants to keep his club in the hunt and he stops everything in his path. That is, until Vucko fires a snapshot across goal and it whacks into the body of Amieva. Before anybody could blink, it is in the back of Oviedo’s net! icon_smile.gif The manner of the goal might be fortuitous but we’ll take it! Four minutes later, we are 2-0 to the good when Kokmeijer’s parried shot bounces into the path of Gavião. The Brazilian midfielder wastes no time tapping it in and runs over to our sideline to celebrate!

In the second half, Gavião obeys my instructions to find a third goal on 57 minutes when he volleys home Miranda’s cross. Oviedo feebly try to attack Vidal, but my defence has their confidence back and they crowd out Suker and Foggarty whenever they have the ball in a threatening position. In the end, Morán marks his return to the first eleven with a goal - our fourth - on 84 minutes. The 17,000-strong crowd salutes our efforts in reaching our second consecutive Copa del Rey final appearance and we find that our opponent will be the club I supported as a boy, Real Betis.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Miranda, Gavião, Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Real Oviedo (5-3-1-1): Emilio; Rasovic, Docando, Carreras © (Iván Ania 79), Pepe Galán, Soria; Jáuregi (Schmidt 60), Barbará (Godvalt 54), Amieva; Foggarty; Suker.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:0 Real Oviedo

Aggregate: Cartagonova 5:1 Real Oviedo

MoM - Paulo Miranda

7th of May 2005

The weekend papers are full of speculation that Sevilla is about to swoop on Óscar Ãlvarez for £1.9 million. I, of course, have no desire to sell to Sevilla yet another defender so I stridently deny any truth in the story to any journalist who wants to listen.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Jordaowba! icon_smile.gif I hope so too, but as you will soon see, things are not going our way...

8th of May 2005

Primera Liga - Game 34: Cartagonova v Villarreal

Against a club in twelfth position, we should be capable of taking all three points. But today’s opponent does boast Spain’s number one keeper, Javier López Vallejo, and I know my strikers are going to have to work extra hard if they want to score their goals today. What I don’t count upon is Lacruz sliding recklessly in on Víctor with just 180 seconds of football played and the referee pointing to the spot. Vidal has no chance to save Callejas’ accurate penalty kick and we suddenly find ourselves in the position of having to chase the game. It isn’t a pleasant situation so I’m happy to see Gavião pick up the rebound from López Vallejo’s save of Redondo’s fiercely struck drive and tap it in on 28 minutes past the sprawled keeper. We have plenty of opportunities to take the lead before the break, but my counterpart at Villarreal has drilled his defenders and keeper well and there is sufficient pressure on my midfielders and strikers for them to fluff their opportunities. Indeed, we could have entered the break behind but for some brilliant keeping from Vidal as he denies Escoda with a miraculous save and then Venetis from Gaitán’s corner.

I urge my players to go out and find that second goal at the break, but I’m dumbfounded to see them let Jesuli fire a thunderbolt into the top corner with little pressure on him. Fortunately, the linesman cuts short Villarreal’s celebrations as he adjudges Víctor to be off-side. But in the second half, it seems that Villarreal is camped in our half with Vidal much the busier of the two keepers. In desperation, I bring off Michel for Miranda, but he has nothing to do with Vucko hitting the post with 15 left to play. The crowd is anxious for a Cartagonova goal but even when the Croat connects with Miranda’s floated cross a few minutes later, there still is no joy as he heads it over the bar. icon_frown.gif We have a couple of chances to snatch the win in the last few moments, but López Vallejo shows why he is the first choice national keeper, pulling off some stunning saves to deny Vucko and Clegg. We have to settle for a point, but it isn’t good enough if we want to really chase Barcelona for the title.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel (Miranda 62), Gavião, Vucko; Clegg; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Villarreal (3-5-2): López Vallejo ©; Unai, Hurtado, Medina; Moha, Jesuli, Tanem (Escoda 25), Venetis, Callejas; Gaitán, Víctor.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Villarreal

MoM - Javier López Vallejo

With four games to play in the season, Barcelona’s 2-1 victory over Alavés pushes the Catalan club six points clear of ourselves, while we are three points in front of Espanyol, whom we play in the second-last round of the season. The championship might still be open, but I would be laying bets on Barcelona to pull it off this time. The remaining fixtures are:

Game 35:

Atlético Madrid (19th) v Cartagonova (2nd)

Celta Vigo (4th) v Barcelona (1st)

Espanyol (3rd) v Elche (13th)

Game 36:

Cartagonova (2nd) v Espanyol (3rd)

Barcelona (1st) v Numancia (9th)

Real Sociedad (20th) v Celta Vigo (4th)

Game 37:

Espanyol (3rd) v Valencia (5th)

Málaga (15th) v Barcelona (1st)

Athletic Bilbao (7th) v Cartagonova (2nd)

Celta Vigo (4th) v Real Betis (14th)

Game 38:

Barcelona (1st) v Mallorca (10th)

Cartagonova (2nd) v Deportivo La Coruña (11th)

Osasuna (18th) v Celta Vigo (4th)

Villarreal (12th) v Espanyol (3rd)

From the game just concluded, I dish out a warning to Lacruz, who believes that I’m now treating him unfairly. That’s alright - Livermore is back to full fitness and I’ll play him instead. In better news, Vidal and Filipescu sit on the bench for the Team of the Week. López Vallejo, in earning a 10/10 and the MoM award, starts for the Team of the Week.

10th of May 2005

I might have signed Ballesteros to a new contract, but that does not worry the staff of Sevilla who this morning table a £1.7 million for the utility defender. But I have no compunctions turning it down.

12th of May 2005

But Sevilla will not be put off, returning with a £2.1 million bid for Ballesteros. Yet again I reject the offer, and I instruct my secretary to stop putting through phone calls from my counterpart, Señor Carlos Tornadijo. Let’s see how good she is screening the phone calls.

15th of May 2005

Primera Liga - Game 35: Atlético Madrid v Cartagonova

Travelling to the capital to play the second-bottom club in the league, we need to take all three points in order to keep up the pressure on Barcelona. So I’m grinning when on 18 minutes, Samuel’s poor clearance from Livermore’s corner lands at the feet of Gavião and the Brazilian wastes no time in thundering a drive into the top corner! icon_biggrin.gif But Atlético Madrid has its own dream to chase - escaping relegation - and the players are determined to not let us score again. On 25 minutes, Kokmeijer breaks free of his marker but Toni is quickly off his line to block his shot. Then Ãlvarez stupidly gives away a free kick in a dangerous position and Vidal does well to parry Córcoles’ strike. I’m happy we have the lead, but I’m concerned that we are apparently playing without many ideas and with Redondo playing without his shooting boots.

And it is to prove prophetic. Redondo wastes another chance on 58 minutes as he blasts an opportunity high over the bar. Then Clegg heads Vucko’s cross into Toni’s grateful arms when a foot either side would have seen us double our lead. Then disaster on 77 minutes when Samuel advances from deep before launching an unstoppable rocket past Vidal to give the delighted home crowd something to cheer about. Redondo has an opportunity to snatch victory in injury time but he again blasts the free kick well over the bar, to leave me scratching my head.

Atlético Madrid (4-4-2): Toni; Santis, Hernandez (Eggen 55), Santi ©, Ruiz Otxoa; Serban (Fagiani 55), Albelda, Samuel, Córcoles; Salva, Artigas.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ballesteros, Ãlvarez, Jaliens; Gavião; Michel, Vucko; Clegg; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Atlético Madrid 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Ballesteros

18th of May 2005

Valencia carries the flag for Spain in Europe as a 110th minute winner from Hugo Leal sealed Valencia’s UEFA Cup triumph against Porto in Brussels’ Stade Roi Baudouin in front of 50,000 supporters. It was an exciting encounter between the two clubs, but woeful finishing from Valencia and good goalkeeping by Santiago Cañizares pushed the game into extra time. Just when it seemed destined to end with penalties, Hugo Leal bamboozled Porto’s defence before sliding the ball beneath the advancing Raúl Iglesias to capture the silverware on the Golden Goal rule.

20th of May 2005

Two bids for Francisco Ãlvarez land on my desk this morning. Nantes and Napoli offer me £700,000 for the midfielder who is yet to pull on the Cartagonova guernsey in a competitive fixture yet, so they obviously believe he has potential to go far in his footballing career. On the advice of my coaches, I decide to reject their offers while we continue to groom the midfielder for a long career at our club, though he will have to displace Gavião for the opportunity to play first!

Dixie Flatline

The Cartagonova band-wagon rolls over everybody in its path!

22nd of May 2005

Primera Liga - Game 36: Cartagonova v Espanyol

This time, we need to score three points, else we can kiss goodbye to any chance of winning the title. Then again, Barcelona could win at the Nou Camp against Numancia and make it certain. Still, three goals in 8 minutes made it great for the crowd, at least. Within four minutes of kick-off, José Redondo has two goals thanks to Jaliens and Michel, while four minutes later, Clegg picks up the rebound from his own shot at Esteban and puts it away! icon_biggrin.gif The crowd is going wild, Espanyol’s players look shell-shocked and I’m grinning from ear to ear. But there is that little voice in my head saying that we’ll find a way to screw it up. By 20 minutes, we should have been at least 4-0 up but Clegg and Kokmeijer waste perfectly good chances to add to our lead and then Espanyol start coming back into the match. Still, they suffer a setback when Martín Posse needs to leave the field on 33 minutes, and I breathe a sigh of relief that the creative Argentine midfielder has left.

But bang on half-time, Óscar flights the long ball ahead of Abreu and the striker times his run perfectly to tuck the ball beneath Vidal. icon_mad.gif I emphasise to my players at the break that they shouldn’t get complacent just because they have three goals on the board. They nod seriously and appear to listen, but I’m not really sure they get the message. Abreu almost cuts the lead to 3-2 when he curls a delicate shot towards the top corner, but thankfully Vidal pushes it aside with the ends of his finger-tips. Vidal again saves the defenders’ blushes on 56 minutes, deflecting away Nacho’s blast. Somewhat against the run of play, Gavião hits the post but it’s practically all Espanyol in the second half. Vidal earns his pay by at least keeping the score to 3-1.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ballesteros, Ãlvarez, Jaliens; Gavião; Michel, Vucko; Clegg; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Espanyol (4-1-2-1-2): Esteban; Juanma, Pochettino ©, Rotchen, Ayala; Sergio (García 73); Nacho (Tasevski 65), Martín Posse (Soldevilla 33); Quiñónez; Abreu, Óscar.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 Espanyol

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

But while we were first ripping apart Espanyol then hanging on grimly, Barcelona efficiently dismantled Numancia 3-1 at the Nou Camp. That means that the giant club is again the champion of Spain. At least we have the potential consolation of winning the Copa del Rey next Saturday, if we can get past Real Betis.

News from other leagues sees the titles wrapped up on the last weekend in England and Italy. West Ham United is your new English champion, taking the title on goal difference from Newcastle United and Manchester United. West Ham tore apart relegated Birmingham City in London 4-0. Newcastle and Manchester United both defeated their opponents but West Ham’s emphatic victory ensured that the championship would travel to the east side of London for the first time ever. Manager Harry Redknapp was understandably delighted to capture the title but he still presides over an unhappy squad with Rio Ferdinand, Jason McAteer and Izzy Iriekpen just some of the names mentioned that could move in the summer.

Meanwhile, Parma captured its first ever Scudetto by a point from Fiorentina. A 3-0 victory over Cagliari was enough to give Parma its title although Fiorentina had done enough to put the pressure on Parma with a 1-0 win over Bari. Down at the other end of the table, Oscar Ruggeri is likely to be fired by the AC Milan board of directors despite managing to avoid relegation by three points.

In Portugal, Marítimo also won its first ever league title again by a point from Vitoria Guimarães with Rio Ave another point behind. But unlike other leagues, Vitoria Guimarães could feel that luck deserted them in the end as they were beaten 2-0 by Boavista at home, while Marítimo defeated Chaves 2-0 on the road. Rio Ave crashed 3-2 at Espinho, so results definitely went in the way of the newly crowned champion.

Although the season is not yet finished in Spain, Barcelona is already named champion as the Catalan-based club enjoys an unreachable eight point lead over Cartagonova with two games left to play. So the focus in Spain switches to who will be relegated in a fortnight. Five points separates Alavés in fifteenth position and Real Sociedad in twentieth place, so it really is a lottery as to who will go down and who will live to fight another day.

25th of May 2005

“Bayer Leverkusen upset Champions’ League favourite, Real Madrid, at Wembley Stadium in London this evening. Ronaldinho gave the Spanish club the lead after eight minutes, but the dismissal of Madrid keeper, Iker Casillas, four minutes later changed the complexion of the match. He was dismissed for a professional foul on Leverkusen striker, Luciano Galletti. Neuville had no problems beating Leo Franco from the spot. On 23 minutes, Slovakian international Vratislav Gresko hit a low drive into the bottom corner of Real Madrid’s net to give the German club the lead. But just on half-time, Ronaldinho equalised against the flow of play, volleying sweetly Simeone’s inch-perfect pass. Real Madrid then concentrated on holding out Leverkusen and hitting the German club on the break. But ten minutes from time, their resistance finally broke when Julen Guerrero smashed a long-range piledriver into the top corner of the net. Seven minutes later, Ismael Urzáiz made the game safe and Jens Nowotny was able to hold up the European Champions’ League trophy for the first time in the club’s history.â€

Good news for Jaliens, O’Neill and Vucko in the evening as they are called up to their respective senior national squads. Juan Carlos Castro has the opportunity to represent Spain’s U-21 side against Poland.

26th of May 2005

There is newspaper speculation that Francisco Ãlvarez will move to Alavés for £575,000. Over my dead body, of course! icon_biggrin.gif

28th of May 2005

Copa del Rey, Final - Real Betis v Cartagaonova

“…Welcome to the Nou Camp here in Barcelona, live on ESPN, for our exclusive coverage of the 2005 Copa del Rey final. Today’s match pits Real Betis against Cartagonova. Both clubs have appeared in the Copa del Rey final before, although Real Betis is the only club of the two to have won the competition before - back in 1977. Cartagonova wants to succeed this season after being pipped at the post by Barcelona 4-3 after extra time in last year’s epic final. In our live coverage, let’s start by covering how both clubs negotiated the long, winding road to reach Barcelona this fine, warm afternoon. We’ll begin with Real Betis.â€

“Real Betis was nearly knocked out at the first hurdle when they encountered Segunda Liga B club Novelda in Novelda. After 120 minutes, neither club could break the deadlock so the match advanced to penalties. Two Real Betis players lost their nerves, but fortunately for the club, three Novelda players, including ironically a former Cartagonova player, Javi Manzano, also missed their opportunities and Real Betis advanced to the second round 5-4 on penalties. The second round saw Real Betis take on the might of Deportivo La Coruña in Seville and they overcame the early setback of a Turu Flores goal to win 3-1, with goals to Casas, Parrado and Quique.â€

“This set Real Betis up for what seemed to be an easy path through to the quarter-final when they drew Móstoles, but the little club threatened a major upset when they defeated Real Betis 1-0 in Móstoles thanks to a goal to José Antonio Soto. But Real Betis put the train back on the tracks with a comfortable 3-0 victory in Seville.â€

“In the quarter-final, Real Betis drew Segunda Liga club Ourense and they again started on the back foot after losing 2-1 in Orense, despite seeing Chinese international Jihai Sun putting them in the lead after 3 minutes. But again the Manuel Ruiz de Lopera stadium in Seville proved to be a fortress as Real Betis again swept to a 3-0 victory, including two goals inside sixty seconds. Into the semi-final stage, and Real Betis hosted Numancia in the first stage. The two goals scored in the first leg, and crucially no goals conceded, proved to be vital in booking Real Betis’ passage into the final as Numancia triumphed 3-1 in Soria. But Capucho’s goal against the tide of play proved decisive as Real Betis entered the final on the back of the away goals rule.â€

“Due to European commitments, Cartagonova was excused the need to play the first round, but drew the tough assignment of prevailing over Sporting Gijón in Gijón. And it seemed that Cartagonova’s bid to reach its second consecutive final would be over very quickly as González expertly converted a penalty on 18 minutes. But Kokmeijer and George Clegg in his first start for the club put Cartagonova through with a 2-1 victory. But then came the big encounter - meeting the club that denied them the trophy last season, Barcelona. Most pundits thought that Cartagonova would have no chance of advancing, particularly if Barcelona could put some goals on the board in the first leg in Cartagena. They certainly did, but with practically his first touch in a Cartagonova shirt, Dennis Bergkamp scored the decisive goal to give Cartagonova a 3-2 lead on the first leg.â€

“The second leg was a classic match of unbelievable tension and a nerve-shattering finale. Gavião managed to get himself sent off after just 36 minutes but a heroic performance by captain Iván Vidal denied everything that Barcelona tried, including a penalty he saved from Pavel Nedved. The crowd left the Nou Camp silent and dumbfounded. Barcelona had lost 3-2 on aggregate and incredibly without scoring a goal at their feared home stadium, the Nou Camp. Now the Cartagonova supporters could start to believe they would return in May 2005 to contest the Copa del Rey final. But in order to do that, they needed to crack the tough nut of Athletic Bilbao. Things didn’t look good when goals to Jorge Pérez and Oscar Tabuenka condemned Cartagonova to a 2-1 loss in San Mamés. José Manuel Redondo’s goal on 66 minutes proved to be the catalyst for an amazing game in the return leg at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena. After 90 minutes, the clubs couldn’t be separated as goals from Esposito, Esnáider and Etxeberría had the teams deadlocked at 3-3 apiece on aggregate and not even the away goals rule could separate them. But then the Athletic Bilbao defence crumbled and they conceded three further goals to a suddenly rampant Cartagonova in the space of 21 minutes. Redondo, Couto and Esnáider to complete his hat-trick gave the home club the 6-1 victory over Athletic Bilbao and the Basque club was dumped unceremoniously out of the Copa del Rey.â€

“After the quarter-final stage, a meeting with Real Oviedo, whom Cartagonova defeated in the quarter-finals last season, seemed almost a foregone conclusion. That is until Ramón threatened to have all the form books torn up when he put Oviedo ahead 23 minutes into the first leg in Oviedo. But Ballesteros came to the rescue of his club and ensured that Cartagonova would be the favourite to advance when the second leg was played in Cartagena a fortnight later. Sure enough, a crushing 4-0 victory at home sealed Cartagonova’s trip to Barcelona this afternoon to once again contest the Copa del Rey final. They will look for a measure of revenge against Real Betis for last season’s anguish, and they must start the game as the clear-cut favourites. After the break, we’ll take a look at the best goals from both sides while we preview the likely starting elevens for both clubs…â€

So it has come down to this. A long, inspirational team talk in the quiet of the dressing rooms followed by more words from the coaches, all of whom have experienced the thrill of playing in major competitions and succeeding. Whom better to have on your staff than Romário, the gifted former Brazilian international striker who helped Brazil lift the World Cup in 1994, not to mention Enzo Francescoli, so long the idol of Uruguay? Hans van Breukelen too also has his fair share of big-game experience, playing as he did 73 times for the Netherlands in a distinguished career. With their words ringing in their ears, my preferred first eleven trudge onto the pitch at the Nou Camp and soak up the atmosphere as the 100,000+ crowd lustily belt out the Spanish national anthem. I perfunctorily shake hands with my counterpart and enemy for the day, Señor Enrique Martín, while Iván Vidal and Gastón Casas exchange club pennants and pose for the photographs. Vidal wins the coin-tóss and we’re off.

It’s easy to see that we’ve come out inspired to grab the goal as we besiege Iván Pinel’s goal. Real Betis’ defenders can barely clear the ball away from their danger area before it’s launched back in once again for Redondo and Kokmeijer to torment the Real Betis back-line. But somehow they hang on through the first 20 minutes and Nagore reminds us that we’re also vulnerable at the back as he drives purposefully through my defence before rocketing a low drive just past the post with Vidal looking on in hope. Yet we’re the superior club by a long way but today, nothing seems to go in. Redondo hits the bar on 37 minutes, Gavião heads a chance wide on 45 minutes, Michel’s fierce drive is somehow pushed away by Pinel in injury time and we enter the break still deadlocked.

There’s not much I can say at the break as the players take their seats, uncork their water bottles and cool off to resume the battle in 15 minutes. I’m sure the TV experts and pundits are analysing the game the same way I am. We’re unlucky not to lead, and I hope that we’re not going to be caught out at the back by a swift Betis counter-attack. I send out the boys with words of encouragement bouncing around inside their brains, then I whisper a quick prayer to the Big Man upstairs and return to my post on the dug-out, knowing that for the next 45 minutes, the fortunes of the club are not in my hands, but in the hands of the eleven players on the pitch.

Finally fortune smiles upon us as on 54 minutes, Redondo’s perfect centre is met sweetly by Michel and if he has ever scored a more important goal for the club, then I’d like somebody to point it out to me. Nine other players rush up to madly congratulate the winger, but I keep my demeanour cool and collected on the sidelines. The only time to celebrate is another 36 minutes away and we can’t afford to drop the concentration at this moment. But Kokmeijer could have made the game safe on 66 minutes if he could have just headed Jaliens’ great cross on target. icon_eek.gif Pinel then proceeds to deny Livermore and Redondo in quick succession as time ticks away for Betis to snatch a dramatic equaliser. Livermore again and then Clegg are the next to be denied by Pinel, before Parrado breaks away from his marker and tests Vidal with a stinging drive with eleven minutes to go. We’re almost completely stuffed by the tension and the constant barrage on Betis’ goal and Ballack causes the defence all sorts of problems as he runs into a shooting position before letting rip. But Vidal is equal to the task and we stoutly clear the resulting corner. Eight minutes later, the referee Undiano Mallenco blows his whistle and we’re ecstatic! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

It’s our first ever Copa del Rey final! icon_biggrin.gif My personal vow to myself, made twelve months exactly tomorrow, has been fulfilled and Iván Vidal shakes the hands of the other players under his captaincy before exchanging shirts with his counterpart and preparing himself to lift the Copa del Rey trophy! Players rush from everywhere to congratulate each other, while the Real Betis players slump on the grass, wondering what might have been. But I’m past caring. It’s our moment in the sun, and damn me if we’re not going to enjoy it! icon_biggrin.gif To the huge roar of the 103,346 crowd inside the Nou Camp, Iván Vidal and Michel lift the Copa del Rey trophy!

Real Betis (3-5-2): Iván Pinel; Rivas, Gilmar, Aitor; César (Ezquerro 67), Artur (Mario 84), Ballack, Nagore, Omar Rodriguez; Casas ©, Parrado.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ballesteros, Àlvarez, Jaliens; Gavião; Michel, Vucko; Clegg; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Real Betis 0:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Aitor

I feel particularly happy for Ballesteros. He had an absolute shocker of a match against Barcelona in the final last season and was no doubt responsible for at least a couple of the goals we conceded. But today he was the Rock of Gibraltar at the heart of our defence, completing 13 of 16 tackles, and distributing the ball around with ease and vision.

In the end, we could have buried Real Betis but for some poor finishing and excellent keeping. We racked up 13 attempts on goal, but only 7 were on target.

Dixie Flatline

Thanks, Saviola*! icon_smile.gif I'm glad you enjoy the saga and the way I write it! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm not sure whether this will continue with CM01/02. I'm never sure whether I will upgrade to the next version when it comes out, because unfortunately software is hideously expensive in Australia and we normally get it a few weeks later than everybody else, too, particular those lucky Europeans.

I'm actually starting to form some goals in my head about where I want to go with this story (depending, of course, on how well I can manage Cartagonova!) and I would like to see them through before doing anything else, except perhaps my Parma story, too! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Looks like it! icon_smile.gif I'm currently leaning towards not buying CM 01/02, preferring to wait for the Holy Grail that is CM4, so I have to keep up those CM addiction hits somehow, and this is as good a way as any! icon_biggrin.gif

Flying the Cartagonova flag as the season winds to an end

29th of May 2005

I’m in bed this morning enjoying the coverage of yesterday’s Copa del Rey final - coverage I’ll get to later - when the phone rings. It’s that blasted manager of Sevilla who has somehow tracked me down in order to offer me £2.5 million for Ballesteros. Thanks to the new contract I shoved under our most effective defender’s nose earlier in the season, I can now thumb my nose at Sevilla, turning down their offer without a second thought.

“Cartagonova’s fairy tale rise from provincial league obscurity to the toast of Spain continued yesterday when they defeated Real Betis 1-0 in the final of the Copa del Rey in an exciting and enthralling encounter at the Nou Camp. Cartagonova kept up the pressure on Betis throughout the 90 minutes, but a combination of great keeping by Iván Pinel and some poor finishing always kept the underdog in the match. Such is the nature of Spanish cup football, one could never what to expect, minute after minute. But nine minutes into the second half, half of the 103,000-plus crowd in attendance rose to their feet as one to hail Michel, the goal scorer for Cartagonova. The winger cut inside the backpedalling Real Betis defence before launching a stinging, curving rocket into the top corner of Pinel’s defence.â€

(From the supporter association’s web site): “This man is wonderful! Señor Flatline is a living legend! I couldn’t believe five years ago the chairman hired an ex-lawyer, but boy has he proved us wrong! And Michel - what a player. Best goal he’s ever scored for us, I reckon.â€

“I have this match on tape. I’ve seen three times already this weekend since yesterday. I can’t get enough. We’re the kings of Spain! It’s brilliant!â€

“I was at the game, and it was unbelievable. The atmosphere, the drums beating away. We played like tigers, all over the pitch. We never gave Real Betis time to settle on the ball and we bossed the midfield. Pinel was excellent for them, but you know it’s always bad when your keeper is the best player. If we keep playing like this next season, you never know. It could be our year! Keep it up, boys!â€

"Michel, that boy is a just a genius with his superb dribbling and shooting! I couldn't believe my eyes when he leaped so high to meet Redondo's cross perfectly! But what was Rodriguez doing? That boy was supposed to be a great defender, but he was just dozing, it looks like to me! Anyway, I'm glad the result turned out the way it did, especially after last year's heartbreaker."

"I'll bet Stan Collymore feels gutted today. Scores a hat-trick against Barcelona in the last game of his career with us, then our defence conspires to throw the match away in the last half-hour. Sure, they were exhausted but it's only one game! But now he's at Gijon and he can't even get a game for them while we control the game against Betis. We deservedly won and I can't wait for the game in a fortnight to give the boys a cheer!"

"It's great we won the Copa del Rey, but I think it's getting a little ahead of ourselves to start fancying Cartagonova for the title, don't you think? We have a fairly unsteady defence and all the good teams have exposed us at the back this season. Still, can't fault the boys for their class. With players like Clegg, Vucko, Gaviao and Michel in midfield, plus Redondo and next year Inzaghi and Lua-Lua up front, we could easy bag 70 goals in the league! It's great seeing them in the Champions' League too. Can't wait until Sunday fortnight. I'll be there, for sure!"

Have to love the fans. Always on your side when you’re winning, on your back when you’re not. But I’m pleased, to say the least. Still, I have a big decision to make next weekend. Should I play the same eleven, knowing that they’re not quite match fit after a week of celebrations? We need points to ensure second place in the league and we have a difficult match against Athletic Bilbao, who I’m sure are desperate to wreak revenge on us for thumping them 6-1 earlier in the season.

Espanyol could have done us a favour by beating or at least holding Valencia to a point in Barcelona. But Valencia prevailed 2-1 thanks to a good comeback in the second half with goals to Javier Saviola and Miguel Ãngel Angulo. But for the rest of Spain, the focus is on the bottom end of the table. Real Sociedad props up the division, but even with only 29 points, it still isn’t relegated because - get this - four teams are all on 32 points above them, while not even fifteenth-placed Osasuna is out of trouble, having only 33 points to their credit.

1st of June 2005

Primera Liga - Game 37: Athletic Bilbao v Cartagonova

On a warm summer evening in San Mamés in Bilbao, we are calmly and efficiently taken apart by an Athletic Bilbao side looking for revenge after watching us collect the Copa del Rey on the weekend. Things don’t look good when I’m forced to rest half my first team and then lose Kokmeijer in the warm-up to a chest injury. One of the influx of new players, Kevin Gibbens, fails utterly to stop Joseba Etxeberría from getting past him then driving a shot through Vidal’s hands into the back of the net after just 35 seconds of football. icon_mad.gif The midfielder, who cost me £325,000 from Southampton in the summer of 2004, costs me a lot more in terms of headaches as he fails dismally to shut down any of Bilbao’s rampant midfielders in the first half. We’re constantly on the back-foot, and the referee doesn’t help when he orders the retake of a perfectly taken free kick on 30 minutes. Vidal is left stranded by Ãlvarez’s deflection and watches in hope as Felipe thunders a drive against the cross-bar. We can’t get going in midfield and as another move breaks down eight minutes later, Jorge Pérez drives past Gibbens like he isn’t there and then drills an accurate shot home. Only on 45 minutes do we finally look like a team capable of playing with the big boys when Michel tries his luck only to be foiled by a great save from Imanol Etxeberría.

I’m furious at the break. If anybody thought I would be easygoing after collecting some silverware are quickly put to right as I read the riot act to the entire eleven plus substitutes in the quiet of the dressing rooms. We’ve been torn apart and if not for Athletic Bilbao’s studied approach to their quest for revenge, we could be even further behind. Nobody is exempt from my tirade. Gibbens is ordered to the team bus to wait out the remainder of the match as I get Filipescu ready for action. He shows the absent Englishman just how to put the pressure on when he does enough to put Idiákez off his stride three minutes into the second half. But Etxeberría still finds a way to slip his marker and tests Vidal. Thankfully, our keeper is up to the task and prevents it becoming an embarrassing rout. Yet the pressure on us isn’t over yet when the corner falls nicely to the feet of Roberto Ríos but the defender finishes like one when he blasts his shot way over the bar. We should have had a penalty and a way back into the match on 54 minutes when Tabuenka sends Clegg to the floor inside the box with a reckless tackle, but the referee must be a Real Betis fan because he waves away all appeals. Athletic Bilbao in the end concentrating on playing keep-ball and denying us even the small consolation of a goal. It is just one of those days when nothing goes right. Gibbens’ inept display is joined by displays by Clegg, Vidal and Vucko. All four culprits are heavily shouted at and then given the official warning, not for the first time this season.

Athletic Bilbao (4-3-2-1): Imanol Etxeberría; Lambea, Karanka, Tabuenka, Kortina (Óskar Vales 53); Roberto Ríos, Puñal (García 61), Felipe; Jorge Pérez, Idiákez (Jon Solaun 53); Joseba Etxeberría ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ballesteros, Ãlvarez, Jaliens; Gibbens (Filipescu 46); Michel, Vucko (Miranda 84); Clegg (Morán 58); Esposito, Esnáider.

Final score: Athletic Bilbao 2:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Joseba Etxeberría

5th of June 2005

Primera Liga - Game 38: Cartagonova v Deportivo La Coruña

Before the match, we parade the Copa del Rey trophy to the almost full-house crowd inside the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena this warm afternoon to salute the fans for their constant support through the season. I decide to give a few regulars the afternoon off, while in the crowds watching the game are players ready to formally join the club in eleven days. Simone Inzaghi, Andrés Mendoza and Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua all sit with the directors of the club as we play Deportivo who slaughtered us 4-1 in the last meeting we had.

As the match meanders along and with the crowd steadily falling asleep in the warm and sunny conditions, I think twenty-two players’ minds are on the holidays that begin tomorrow. But Redondo is awake enough to test Molina with a curling shot on 18 minutes and that starts up the crowd chants. Mista almost silences them seven minutes later when he returns the compliment to Vidal, but his volley flies high over the bar. Vidal however, is called into action when César steps up to the plate to bang in a free kick on 29 minutes. On 33 minutes comes a double chance our way that we should have buried. Redondo forces Molina into dropping the ball with a glancing header from Vucko’s cross and then a few moments later, the Croatian plays in Morán, but the midfielder can’t put his volley on target. Right on half-time, I’m relieved to see Víctor’s goal from the rebound of his own shot ruled out for off-side against Canabal. The Deportivo players furiously hound the referee all the way back to the dressing rooms, while I emphasise to the players they’ve had a lucky escape they shouldn’t count upon again.

Luis Sosa whispers into my ear that Valencia are 2-1 to the good against Athletic Bilbao, so it seems that second place is too far away at the moment, especially with no goals against our name. But that changes as soon as I bring on Dennis Bergkamp for just his second appearance this season. With his first touch of the ball, the former Dutch international heads home Filipescu’s corner! icon_biggrin.gif Vidal is the only person not celebrating, and he does well to push away Canabal’s shot. But Bergkamp is the difference between the two sides, and on 75 minutes he flicks the ball out to Morán and this time, he makes no mistake! icon_biggrin.gif On 88 minutes, his run at the heart of Deportivo’s defence causes all types of problems and Ballesteros capitalises on Amaya’s desperate tackle to launch a 25 yard thunderbolt into the top corner to finish the season on a high note! icon_smile.gif

It isn’t enough to overhaul Valencia, but I’m reasonably happy with the last half-hour of the season. The crowd certainly is, as they give the boys a standing ovation as they troop off to take a well-earned shower and plan how they will spend the next few weeks without the need to kick a ball around.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ballesteros, Óscar Ãlvarez, Jaliens; O’Neill, Francisco Ãlvarez (Filipescu 46), Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Esposito (Bergkamp 61).

Deportivo La Coruña (4-4-2): Molina; André Luiz (Arruabarrena 57), César, Amaya ©, Tais; Mullor (Godino 63), Emerson, Di Lorenzo, Víctor (Bolic 70); Mista, Canabal.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:0 Deportivo La Coruña

MoM - Dennis Bergkamp

Remember how I said that Real Sociedad could still escape the drop despite being last? Well, they defeated Málaga 1-0 in San Sebastián and that dropped Málaga, who had never previously been in the relegation zone, to 19th while Real Sociedad climbed out of the grave to finish the season in 17th! Málaga is joined by Atlético Madrid and Alavés. The latter club crashed 3-1 at Elche to end the season, like Málaga, in the zone for the only week of the season - at precisely the wrong time! Nobody was surprised at the relegation of Atlético Madrid, as they had been struggling against the drop for the entire season. Coming the other way are Racing Santander, Getafe and Extremadura. Tenerife failed by goal difference to sneak into the top three of the Segunda Liga, while Sevilla will regret selling Casquero as they finished a point behind Extremadura and Tenerife.

So here is how the Primera Liga finished:

That concludes my fifth season in charge of Cartagonova (is it that long already?), so here are some pertinent statistics about my own reign:

Reputation (in Spain): 6th (Superb)

Reputation (around the world): 129th (Average)

Period at current club: 1766 days (55th longest in Spain)

Number of cups won: 1 (8th in Spain)

Number of leagues won: 1 (8th in Spain)

Overall match record: Played - 244, won - 134, drawn - 62, lost - 48.

Goals scored: 469. Goals conceded: 294

Players bought: 75 (1st in Spain) - worth £22 million (16th in Spain).

Most expensive transfer: £3.1 million (24th in Spain)

Players sold: 56 (1st in Spain) - worth £18.75 million (23rd in Spain).

Most expensive sale: £3 million (31st in Spain).

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (26 y/o, ESP, GK): 59 apps, 66 conceded, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.15: This young keeper simply becomes better and better as he gains more experience between the posts. Playing 59 times for the club this season alone, he now has 121 appearances under his belt and has assumed the captaincy well in the wake of Fernando Couto’s fall-out with the club. He is unchallenged as the number one keeper at the club and I’m always happy to see him lead out the team. I expect him to do just as well next season. He is unlikely to ever represent his country, but he should have a distinguished career with us.

Francesc Arnau (30 y/o, ESP, GK): 1 app, 2 conceded, av. rating: 7.00: Not much to say about Francesc. Just a few seasons ago he was in between the posts for Barcelona. Now he sits on the bench most game days and watches Vidal go about his business. Still, he is yet to complain to me about this situation, and I’m happy with things just the way they are.

Joaquín Moso (26 y/o, ESP, GK): 0 apps: I almost forgot this man was at the club, he is so quiet! Gets his head down and does his darndest at training to impress me, but he has a big mountain to climb before he will reach his goal of playing for the club. Can’t fault him for trying, but I wonder when he will realise his quest is fairly fruitless? And I wonder what my response will be to that situation?

Well, B.E. Gaity, I'm going to continue summarising my squad, and then I'm going to see how I can strengthen it by getting rid of the dross and bringing in some good players! icon_wink.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Defenders

Juan Carlos Castro (18 y/o, ESP 1 Olympic cap, SW/D C): 0 apps: In the squad to work upon his skills and technique. Brought home an Olympic silver medal to the delight of his teammates, but never played a game for us this season. Still a long-term prospect and working with the U-21 national squad will only improve his game even further.

Iulian Filipescu (31 y/o, ROM 41 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C): 21(11) apps, 4 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.56: Started the season terribly and I eventually left him out of the side for a long stretch. But poor form and the enforced sale of other defenders brought him back into the reckoning and as the season moved towards its conclusion, his form improved. Which is just as well for the Romanian, as I was getting ready to give him the chop in the summer. But I don’t think he’ll play in Europe again for us as he averaged a miserable 5.63/game from 5(3) appearances. He was also our dirtiest player this season, picking up 8 yellow cards and 2 red cards.

Alan Stubbs (33 y/o, ENG, SW/D C): 3(3) apps, av. rating: 7.33: The veteran centre-half only played a few times for the club, but whenever he appeared for the club, he did well. Still not showing any signs of slowing down in his advancing years as a footballer and I’m sure that if I need him next year, he will respond with more good performances.

Ballesteros (29 y/o, ESP, D/DM RC): 44(1) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.98: Now one of the highest paid players at the club, he extorted this out of our hides thanks to Sevilla’s continuing interest in him that eventually rose to his former minimum release clause amount of £2.5 million. But I value him a lot more than that, and he justified his expensive contract with some wonderful performances at the sharp end of the season. All this after he was suspended for nine league matches for punching an opposition player earlier in the season. At the time, I was ready to sell him, but I’m glad I didn’t because he is possibly our best defender, on form at least, especially after I was forced to sell Marcelo Moya.

Kew Jaliens (26 y/o, NED 2 caps, D RC): 24(3) apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.81: Picked up for £2 million from Ajax in the summer of 2004, he never commanded a regular first team spot in the side thanks to a combination of injuries and inconsistency. But he did well enough to be noticed by Louis van Gaal, the manager of the Netherlands and with a bit of luck he will soon add to his small collection of two international caps. I think my prediction that he would be a good right back seems to have been borne out this season, where we can exploit his pace and his ability to find teammates with excellent passes to the fullest. And he is beginning to assert himself on the pitch, shouting the instructions and motivating his comrades to perform better. Should have a solid future at the club, all being well.

José María Lacruz (27 y/o, ESP, D RL): 43(1) apps, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.64: Started the season quite well, but as the months went past he seemed to lose form and confidence and was soon supplanted by other players, notably David Livermore. He is currently unhappy about things, but he has the summer to think about where he went wrong and hopefully he will come back a better player for it. Still definitely part of my plans, despite interest from his former club Athletic Bilbao during the season. But I hope to see him improve his consistency and be a reliable player for the club.

Curro Torres (28 y/o, ESP, D/DM L): 14(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.75: Performed marginally better in Europe than in the league, but I was never convinced that he is a viable starter at left back for the club. I suppose, however, that he has paid off his £350,000, particularly since that the player who went the other way to Tenerife, Gustavo Cañizares, spent half the season on loan to a lowly Segunda Liga B team. Curro Torres is a good squad player but I don’t think he will ever be more than that for us. The good news is that he enjoys playing for the club and is willing to fight for his place in the eleven.

David Livermore (25 y/o, ENG, D/DM LC): 15(1) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.00: I’ve been impressed by this quietly spoken but effective defender who took over from Lacruz and Curro Torres at left back and left his mark on the position, not to mention a few opposition wingers who tried to get the better of the ex-Millwall player. I’m sure he never expected to play a cup final in front of more than 100,000 when he left Millwall for Spain at the start of the season, but he has a Copa del Rey winners’ medal and I’m sure he’s hungry for more success. Not bad for a player I picked up for free on a Bosman last season and he has the chance to form a big part of my plans for the next few seasons if he keeps up this promising start.

Mariano Fernández (26 y/o, ARG, D C): 5 apps, av. rating: 7.40: Set to leave the club in eleven days for a new career with Sevilla, we wish the affable Argentine all the very best. Never really had the opportunity to demonstrate his skills and talent on the pitch, although we’ve all seen just how good a defender he is in training. But his non-EU status held him back at the club and I thought it was better for him if we collected some money for him while he moved to a club more likely to play him.

Óscar Ãlvarez (27 y/o, ESP, D C): 43(3) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.89: I don’t think the club is in any danger paying any money for our defender playing ten times for Spain in the near future. He isn’t international quality, but he is a serviceable defender who always tries his hardest for the club and I think Cartagonova would be worse off without him. Knows how to lay a tackle on the opposition forwards, averaging 4.1 tackles/game in those 46 appearances for the club this season. I don’t have any complaints about his contribution this season, which pays him a good compliment.

Axel Wingård (24 y/o, SWE, D C): 14(1) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.73: Started his new career with Cartagonova very well, but then a baffling loss of form saw him dropped from the first eleven and he has yet to return to the side. Was called up to Sweden’s national squad, but didn’t play for them, and I think that he wonders when he will kick-start his career again. Of course, I’m more than willing to give him a second chance because I think he is a talented player, but the quicker he picks up even the rudiments of the local lingua, the better prepared he will be for regular football with Cartagonova. Trouble is, he is anything but a quick study, so it is going to take some time to achieve results with him.

Next time... midfielders and strikers! icon_smile.gif

Dixie

That's a wrap, folks!

Midfielders

Fernando Manuel Couto (35 y/o, POR 82 caps, 7 goals, D/DM C): 29 apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.07: Began the season the darling of the club’s fans and the distinguished, experienced captain after a good performance in Euro 2004 in his own country. But then something bit him hard and he marched into my office after a game one afternoon and loudly demanded to be sold to a ‘better’ club. I of course rejected his demands and then after becoming sick of his constant whining, transfer listed him. I’ve had a lot of interest in the midfielder, but none has been enough to warrant him. Still, we’re growing sick of each other and I’m currently exploring the option of including him in a swap deal with Osasuna for their highly rated Israeli international defender Shimon Gershon. The 2005/06 season is his last on his current contract, but if he even begins it with Cartagonova, I would be highly surprised. It is a shame, since he has done well for the club since joining four seasons ago, and he is the current holder of the league appearance record for the club. But his future does not lie with this club.

Francisco Ãlvarez (19 y/o, ESP 6 Olympic caps, 1 goal, DM C): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00: After a good Olympic Games where he helped guide Spain to a silver medal, he settled back into life with Cartagonova, gaining experience and training with the first team squad. He continued to attract a lot of interest from rival clubs and I continually needed to knock back transfer offers for him. There are the fundamentals of a good midfielder in him, but he still needs a lot of work to be the polished product. Giving him a half of football against Deportivo at the end of the season was the reward for a hard season’s work put in on the track, and although he did not put in an outstanding performance, he at least avoided embarrassing himself, which is a good start.

Gavião (25 y/o, BRA, DM C): 22 apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.23: If it wasn’t for Couto’s prima dona attitude towards playing for Cartagonova, I might not have swooped on the ex-Grêmio midfielder for free in the winter of 2004. He has done wonderfully well for us since joining and I would almost say that he is on the verge of being selected for his country. His lack of physical pace is more than made up for with an amazing, innate ability to read the play and ability to get himself in the right position at the right time. It’s no wonder that he has scored six goals already in his Cartagonova career, despite often playing a fair way from the goals he attacks! Signed on board for three seasons, I see no difficulties in him going all the way in his current contract. I’m very pleased I decided to go with the Brazilian ahead of Gonzalo Colsa.

Kevin Gibbens (25 y/o, ENG, DM C): 5(4) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.78: I’m surprised a little by this player. He looks some calm and polished in the training matches but for some reason when he steps out on the pitch, he is capable of being a completely different player - wildly rushing in with studs showing and barely connecting with anything but thin air. Yet then the next time, he could turn in a solid performance that makes me nod my head in appreciation of my own brilliance in signing him from Southampton in the summer. But such is his inconsistency that I rate him equal second with Ãlvarez as cover for Gavião, and I don’t ever really want to think about the Brazilian being injured for any length of time with these two as cover.

Pablo Box (26 y/o, ESP, M RC): 3 apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.00: I hate to say this as Pablo is a home-grown hero and returned with such big wraps on him from Villarreal, but I think his career is sinking fast here at Cartagonova and he might be one of the first to be shown the door when the new campaign starts. He just has progressed since I signed him from Villarreal for £800,000 three seasons ago, and I think that our patience with him has been exhausted. It’s a shame for the fans and the player himself, but he should have made more of his opportunities to shine for the club.

George Clegg (24 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC): 23(5) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.93: Fernando Morán had better watch out because this man from Manchester is quickly establishing himself as one of the premier attacking midfielders in the squad, and possibly Spain. An undistinguished start was soon put to right by the former Red Devil and Black Cat, and he almost automatically picks himself these days. Has the look of a future international about him, but I fear he may have jeopardised his England career by coming to a small club in Spain. But he is already beginning to learn the lingo and when he has that down pat, watch out! I’m very happy we spent £2.5 million on him, because I think he has already paid most of it off.

Paulo Miranda (26 y/o, ARG, AM RLC): 14(15) apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.00: More effective in Continental football than domestic football, and more often than not played as a substitute, especially in La Liga, which doesn’t help him. But definitely a more than handy cover to have whenever an attacking midfielder succumbs, and also worth the odd start or two. I’m happy with his contribution this season, and he will be sticking around for a while. Hopefully he’ll be naturalised soon, which will be even better.

Fernando Morán (28 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 28(5) apps, 13 goals, 9 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.06: With statistics like those, you’d be forgiven for thinking that Fernando had a good season. Don’t get me wrong, I think he had a really good season, but I feel that he is now struggling in the wake of George Clegg to regularly command a first eleven appearance. Still, he is a fan favourite, and I like him too, so there is no chance of him disappearing out of Cartagonova in the near future. One of the more experienced campaigners at the club now, as he nears the milestone of 150 appearances in a Cartagonova guernsey.

Rufete (28 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM R): 23(1) apps, 2 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.83: After such a good season in his first for Cartagonova last season, I think I’m entitled to an explanation as to what has gone wrong with Rufete this season. He is a shadow of himself on the pitch and in his current frame of mind there is no way he will displace Jurica Vucko on the right wing. Luis Sosa is still a fan of his abilities, and I think that if he manages to pick up his morale and confidence in the summer, he still has a future at the club. But currently, in a brutally honest assessment of his situation, I’d have to say he is on borrowed time at the moment.

Jurica Vucko (28 y/o, HRV 15 caps, AM/F RC): 44(7) apps, 4 goals, 10 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.96: And this is the person who means that Rufete may well be out of the club. At the start of the season, when he first arrived from Alavés, I didn’t figure him for being a right winger, but he has certainly proved that he can play in that position and like Clegg and Redondo, is often the first player on the teamsheet for the weekend’s matches. Interestingly, the Croat manager plays him up forward with Boksic ahead of strikers like Davor Vugrinec and Alen Peternac, so he might know something I don’t. Then again, he has fifteen caps for his country but no goals. He remains the most expensively paid player at the club, but I think he is worth every penny we pay him.

Jofre (25 y/o, ESP, AM/F L): 0 apps: Spent half the season on loan to struggling Osasuna and from what I can tell, didn’t impress in an underperforming team. I think he has run his race here at Cartagonova, and I will place him on the transfer list when he returns from loan.

Keith O’Neill (29 y/o, IRE 29 caps, 4 goals, AM/F LC): 1(1) apps, av. rating: 6.50: I have placed the Irishman on the transfer list because he no longer offers anything of value to the club. In truth, he has never settled here in Spain and I think it would do him good to return to Britain to pursue what remains of his career. He seems to think that I should be playing him more often, but when I did play him in the last game of the season, he did not impress me sufficiently to force me into changing my mind about it.

Juan Eduardo Esnáider (32 y/o, ARG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C): 3(2) apps, 3 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.60: One of the genuine high-impact players at the club! Nobody who was at the match will forget the Argentine’s wonderful game against Athletic Bilbao in the Copa del Rey where he scored a hat-trick to help sink the Basque club. He is still a dangerous player and I’m in no hurry to show him the exit from the club at this stage of his career. But he shouldn’t expect to play too often with younger midfielders ahead of him in the pecking order and with more to come.

Strikers

Mauro Esposito (25 y/o, ITA 1 Olympic cap, AM/F LC): 18(11) apps, 9 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.97: I thought that Mauro was an excellent striker at the start of his Cartagonova career when practically every time he struck a shot at goal, it went in. But he soon lost his way and therefore lost consistency, which made it difficult for him to displace Redondo and Kokmeijer, the regular strikers. Needs to learn a little more of the language to fit in a little better at the club but I predict that he will struggle to command regular appearances for us next season.

Dennis Bergkamp (36 y/o, NED 79 caps, 38 goals, AM/F C): 0(2) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 8.00: If Esnáider was a high-impact player this season, then Dennis was an extreme player! He played about 90 minutes in total for the season and scored goals with practically his first touch each time! His arrival on the scene completely changed the complexion of the match he participated in, none more important than the first leg of the Copa del Rey third round when he scored what proved to be the winning goal of the tie minutes after coming on for George Clegg. He might be losing a yard of pace, but his footballing nous remains undimmed.

Niels Kokmeijer (25 y/o, NED, S C): 52(1) apps, 16 goals, 12 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.43: He has made a quietly impressive start to his Spanish club career, has Niels. I’m sure he benefits from having Dennis, Enzo and Romário bending his ear about hitting the back of the net, but unfortunately for him, the goals tended to dry up towards the end of the season, so he perhaps obtained less than full reward for his hard work deserved. He is going to have to compete with Simone Inzaghi for the right to partner Redondo next season, but I think he is the long term solution for scoring goals since he is only 25 and will no doubt continue to improve as he continues to settle in here at Cartagonova.

José Manuel Redondo (29 y/o, ESP, S C): 47(2) apps, 24 goals, 10 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.63: For José, this season was slightly less productive than his previous two seasons at Cartagonova, but he still managed to score more than twenty goals for the club, with fourteen coming in the league. After the dismay of Collymore’s departure at the end of the season, he formed a good partnership with Kokmeijer, but I just get the feeling that if Redondo’s early season had not been interrupted by injury, he would have scored plenty more goals. Still, I can’t complain with his contribution again this season and I think I would have to tip him to once again claim the Supporters’ Association’s Player of the Year award.

Romário (39 y/o, BRA 76 caps, 54 goals, S C): 0 apps: He no longer plays, although he thinks that I might give him a chance. Unfortunately, he is yet to understand that I won’t play him even if hell froze over.

So, here are the squad’s figures that count:

6th of June 2005

It’s June, so it must be awards season. Of course, Patrick Kluivert is everybody’s favourite to scoop the prize pool, and he begins well, capturing FIFA World Player of the Year award ahead of teammate Rivaldo and Roma’s Totti. He also adds the World Footballer of the Year award, holding off the challenge of Uriel Pérez of Argentinos and Fiorentina’s Joe Cole.

8th of June 2005

“…Finally, to news of up-coming transfers for Cartagonova, and Señor Dixie Flatline announced that after four seasons at the club, Fernando Couto will leave as part of the deal that brings Israeli international defender Shimon Gershon to the club. Gershon will join the club for a package worth £3 million, although club officials are at pains to say that only £2 million will be up-front. Couto fell out with the management of Cartagonova after he demanded a transfer to pursue his career elsewhere. He has been looking for a new club since that time, and it appears that he has been offered as makeweight to remove the troublesome Portuguese midfielder from the club. Couto released through his own agent a press statement making his happiness at the impending move known, while Shimon Gershon, who appeared along side his new boss at the press conference this afternoon, said he was delighted to join a club that wants to go places.â€

I’m happy with the move, too. I lose the 35 year old Portuguese troublemaker, Fernando Couto, and in exchange I gain an international class defender who also has no problems putting the ball in the back of the opponent’s net. Of course, I might be exchanging one trouble maker for another, since he has had plenty of history with Osasuna’s management, but I think he is a class act and will definitely strengthen the back-line.

In the evening, Europe’s attention turns to World Cup qualifiers. In Rome, Bulgaria held Italy to a 1-1 draw in front of 83,000 unhappy fans despite playing with ten men for the last half-hour. In Group 2, France crashed on the road to Belgium 2-1 with Veldeman scoring the winning penalty seven minutes from time after Steed Malbranque gave the Belgians the lead on 49 minutes, only to have Wiltord equalise on the hour mark for the French. The French still lead Group 2 by five points from Georgia, Iceland and Belgium, but the Georgians and the Belgians have a game in hand on the French. Group 4 saw the Dutch continue their winning streak in qualifying as they notched up their seventh straight victory with a 2-0 win over Denmark in Copenhagen. Goals to Edgar Davids and Patrick Kluivert secured the points. Hungary and Wales are duelling for the runners-up spot in Group 4, with both countries recording easy victories over lesser opposition. The Hungarians grabbed the initiative with a powerful 4-1 result over Lithuania, while the Welsh prevailed over the plucky Faroe Islands 2-0 in Cardiff. Arsenal’s Ryan Giggs put in a virtuoso performance, but it was Manchester United’s Craig Bellamy who scored the goals.

Finland must already be dreaming of next summer as they enjoy an 8 point break over their rivals in Group 5. Jari Litmanen’s 86th minute winner in a 5 goal thriller against Estonia proved decisive, while Russia’s horrid run of form continued as they crashed in Bucharest to Romania 2-1 and are still to register a victory in this campaign. Spain’s dream of qualifying for 2006 also took a turn for the worse when they succumbed to the rampant Poles on the road 2-0. The Spaniards suffered the indignity of playing almost the entire match with ten men after Borja was sent off on 6 minutes. Austria’s 1-0 victory over Azerbaijan pushed them into second place, a point ahead of Spain, but seven points behind the group favourite Poland. In Group 7, Portugal has eased three points clear of Turkey and Bosnia with a comfortable 3-1 victory over the disappointing Croats in Osijek. Goran Vlaovic put the Croats in front on 8 minutes, but after that it was all Portugal as goals to Ãlvaro, Paulo Sousa and Gouveia secured all three points for the Portuguese.

Group 8 appears to be the tightest of the nine groups with England’s loss on the road to the Ukraine 2-1 in Kyiv pulling the Three Lions back into the pack. The English enjoy a two point lead on Slovakia, with the Ukraine a further three points behind. The partnership of Shevchenko and Sergei Rebrov once again did it for the Ukraine as Trevor Benjamin’s injury-time strike was no more than consolation for the English. To Group 9 now, and Norway remains on course for direct qualification after it drew 2-2 with Sweden in Stockholm. Tore Andre Flo of Chelsea scored twice within seven minutes, but an 81st minute equaliser for Sweden rescued a point.

Cartagonova players play this evening with Kew Jaliens enjoying 90 minutes against Denmark while Keith O’Neill plays fifteen minutes for the Irish in their 2-1 victory over Scotland in a friendly encounter at Hampden Park.

11th of June 2005

The last couple of fixtures in the Primera Liga are played this afternoon - nothing of importance, really. But I’ll repost the ladder just to show how it all fits together:

We are awarded £4.5 million by the Spanish FA for finishing third in La Liga, which hopefully the board will put to good use by upgrading the training facilities and expanding the stadium. icon_wink.gif

16th of June 2005

The transfer window opens up again, so the following moves are made involving my club:

Francisco Sanz (20 y/o, ESP, D RC) from Real Vallodolid for free

Oliver (26 y/o, ESP, AM L) to Sevilla for £1.8 million + 10% sell-on clause: 8(2) apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.00

Andrés Mendoza (27 y/o, PER, AM/F LC) from Club Brugge for free

Alberto Rivera (27 y/o, ESP, AM/F C) from Real Madrid for free

Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua (24 y/o, DCO 6 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RLC) from Newcastle United for free

Shimon Gershon (27 y/o, ISR 28 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C) from Osasuna for £2 million + £1 million after 20 international caps + Fernando Manuel Couto

Fernando Manuel Couto (35 y/o, POR 82 caps, 7 goals, D/DM C) to Osasuna on player exchange: 141(2) apps, 5 goals, 10 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34

Mariano Fernández (26 y/o, ARG, D C) to Sevilla for £1.2 million: 7 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.29

Keep smiling icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Thanks mate. icon_smile.gif

It's back!

After a hectic last week ever of university I'm now in exam mode and that means more from Cartagonova! icon_biggrin.gif

16th of June 2005 (cont.)

In the evening, more awards are dished out and Patrick Kluivert picks up his fair share, capturing the European Player of the Year ahead of Fernando Morientes and Vincenzo Montella. It finished that order in the race for European Striker of the Year. Parma’s Gianluigi Buffon won Goalkeeper of the Year, Roma’s Marco Delvecchio took out the European Defender of the Year and Francesco Totti (now of Real Madrid) scooped the European Midfielder of the Year award.

Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer again claims the Spanish Manager of the Year award ahead of Valencia’s Señor Guus Hiddink and Cartagonova’s Señor Dixie Flatline. Yes! A personal award, finally! icon_biggrin.gif Señor Serra Ferrer had better watch out next year, because I want his award! icon_smile.gif

Kluivert wins La Liga’s Goalscorer of the Year award with 33 goals to his name to make it five straight seasons at the top of the goalscoring charts. He almost doubled his nearest rival, Deportivo’s Turu Flores. Kluivert also picks up the Spanish Player of the Year award to go with his other multitudes of personal awards for yet another outstanding season.

18th of June 2005

Jofre returns home from his half-season with Osasuna and is told by Toninho to report immediately to my office where I sit waiting with a grim look on my face. I tell the winger that his progress at Cartagonova has been insufficient to warrant his continued presence in the squad and therefore he has been placed on the transfer list. He leaves disappointed, but I think he could tell that he knew the writing was on the wall when he went on that loan spell. If I could get around £1 million for him I would be quite happy.

20th of June 2005

As I predicted at the beginning of the season, José Manuel Redondo is again voted by the supporters of the club the Cartagonova Player of the Year. I’m also pleased by the statistic that our average attendance of 17,466 people at our home games this season is a new club record, because I can take that to the board and demand that they expand the stadium.

21st of June 2005

So, it is now time to turn the 2004/05 season into the history books and prepare for the new season that starts in about two months from now. It will be the third season the club enjoys in the top flight and I’m sure the fans are beginning to get used to see the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia turn up to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena week-in, and week-out. Of course, winning the Copa del Rey has added some prestige to the club’s short history and I think we’re beginning to attract some high-profile, high-spending supporters to the club.

The club is enriched to the tune of £5 million from the Spanish FA after they sold the rights for live coverage of the Primera Liga to the various interested television companies. I can use that very wisely: Expand the smeggin’ stadium!

I am called up by Señor Florentino Manzano’s personal assistant, a lovely young woman with a very nice smile. icon_wink.gif I’m asked to report to the reclusive chairman’s villa in the mountains overlooking the port city of Cartagena this evening to be briefed upon my task for the upcoming season. When 6.30pm rolls around on this warm summer evening, I duly turn up with my partner on my arm and hand my complimentary bottle of wine to the maid who opens the door. A lovely dinner passes without incident as Señor Manzano and his brother, Señor Antonio Manzano, who also happens to be vice-chairman of the club, entertain us. We don’t turn our attention to football until late in the evening, but having been careful to moderate my drinking during the entertainment, I think I’m prepared for whatever they can throw at me.

Sitting me down in the hot seat in his study, Señor Florentino Manzano closes the door behind him and takes his comfortable leather chair behind his desk. He offers his brother a cigar and then proffers the box at me. I take a nice fat Cuban and the offered light and inhale deeply the first taste of the rich tobacco. Señor Manzano tells me that he expects me to guide his club to both domestic and European success. I inhale once more the cigar’s rich tobacco, savour it then blow it out. He waits expectantly for my reply to his job brief. I say calmly, “Since when have I let you down, boss?†He indicates that I have never let him down. So I respond, “Well, I won’t do it this time, either, mate.â€

With that, the evening concludes before I can get around to asking about my desire to have the stadium expanded, particularly if we’re aiming for success everywhere. I return to my home and decide on a whim before I go to bed to check up the expiry dates on the contracts of those players I signed a couple of years ago. As I suspected, quite a few are due to expire before the World Cup, so I prepare the lawyers for a hard week of work signing up those I want to remain at the club to longer contract extensions. These players include Lacruz, Rufete, Moso, both Ãlvarez’s, Esnáider, Romário, Filipescu, Pablo Box, Livermore, Michel and Iván Vidal.

22nd of June 2005

The Spanish FA releases the fixture list for the new season. I quickly scan it to mark off any potentially troubling matches and I can tell you that we start our season with a visit to Osasuna on the 21st of August, host Valencia a week later and then go to Real Sociedad on the 11th of September 2005. We end the season in May next year with a trip to Getafe, then we host Deportivo La Coruña before finishing the season at Numancia.

We are listed as one of the second seeds in the European Champions’ League, which hopefully means we won’t have to qualify for the group phase like we needed to last season. We are joined by Barcelona, Valencia and Celta Vigo. Representing Spain in the UEFA Cup are Real Betis, Espanyol and Real Madrid, while Sporting Gijón and Athletic Bilbao have the chance to progress in Europe if they can get through the Inter-Toto Cup.

New signature Andrés Mendoza flies out of Spain this morning to link up with the rest of his Peruvian squad ahead of their date with destiny in the 2005 Copa America. They play in Group A against Brazil, USA and Uruguay.

23rd of June 2005

I join two German clubs, HSV and Borussia M’gladbach, in offering fringe Brazilian international SW/S C André a contract to join after he revealed publicly earlier this year his desire to leave Atlético Miniero and ply his trade in Europe.

In the evening, I’m happy to meet with José María Lacruz’s agent as the Basque defender signs a new three year contract, stating through his agent to me that his main reason for resigning is his love for the club. How sweet!

25th of June 2005

“…Finally to news of football and Brazilian legend Romário who helped his country lift the 1994 World Cup amongst other excellent achievements for the striker has announced his immediate retirement from professional football. He will continue in his current capacity as coach under Señor Flatline at Cartagonova C.F. Señor Flatline paid tribute to his coach’s rare ability to find the back of the net at all levels and said that his tireless work on the training track had helped improve the technique and skills of players like José Redondo and Niels Kokmeijer. Romário’s former manager at Barcelona, Señor Johan Cruyff, was quoted as saying that the Brazilian was one of the best ever strikers to ever play the game, while Sir Alex Ferguson recalled the warm evening in 1995 when Romário single-handedly tore his Manchester United apart in a European Cup fixture when the Brazilian played for Barcelona…â€

He never played a game for us and I’m somewhat glad he has retired from actively playing (well, trying to anyway), since that opens up a slot for another player.

26th of June 2005

Two more players sign on the dotted line for the club with Óscar Ãlvarez and David Livermore both agreeing to three year contracts. But I lose scout Vicente Santos to Real Zaragoza as they make an offer to be a coach. We gain £50,000 out of the deal.

27th of June 2005

Iván Vidal puts pen to paper on a new three year contract that sees the club captain earn £11,500/week for his work between the sticks.

29th of June 2005

Moments after confirming with Cartagonova’s publicists that a tournament consisting of Juventus, Celtic, West Ham and Cartagonova will go ahead on the 30th and 31st of July 2005, I’m contacted by the manager of Elche who wants to know whether I will sell Francisco Ãlvarez for £1 million over 18 months. The young midfielder’s contract will expire at the end of the season and so far he has not indicated a desire to negotiate an extension. Therefore, I’m tempted to accept the offer, but I decide to negotiate some terms with Elche. Basically, I want them to remove the 18 month period and add some money to sweeten the deal. But this is just a ruse to buy some time while I persuade Ãlvarez to sign a new contract with the club. But I’m not likely to get what I want as Ãlvarez’s agent goes to the local press to tell them that his client is likely to move to Elche for £575,000. I am furious at this report because there is no way I will let him go for such a small amount even if he is to leave the club.

29th of June 2005

Michel joins his teammates in signing a new three year contract with the club that pays him £12,000/weeks with £525 goal bonus and £525 assist bonus. There is no minimum release clause in his contract - instead, there is a non-playing release clause of £4.5 million, so I think Michel is slightly worried about the influx of left wingers to the club over the summer. But he should not be worrying about that just yet as he is my preferred left winger at this stage of the new season.

30th of June 2005

I miss out on the Brazilian striker André who decides to try his luck in the Bundesliga with HSV.

1st of July 2005

Elche succeeds where none have before by persuading me to agree to sell Francisco Ãlvarez to them for £1 million + £250,000 after ten league appearances. The midfielder had made no indication of resigning for the club and therefore I felt compelled to sell the midfielder who we had nurtured for three seasons.

In other bad news for the club, Simone Inzaghi’s transfer collapses after the striker fails a medical. He tore a hamstring playing for Lazio’s reserves against Ancona’s reserves at the end of the season and will miss another three weeks of football. Hopefully he will not have mended fences with Lazio and should be available to be signed by us as I would like another quality striker to keep the pressure on Redondo and Kokmeijer.

2nd of July 2005

Francisco Ãlvarez rejects the offer of a new contract, revealing to the local press that he is unhappy with me. He therefore goes out and signs with Elche: Francisco Ãlvarez (19 y/o, ESP - 6 Olympic caps, 1 goal, DM C): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00

4th of July 2005

I invest the money obtained from the sale of Ãlvarez to make a bid of £1.1 million for Alavés’ unfavoured Polish international full-back Tomasz Wisio. The offer is accepted and I have the opportunity of attracting the young but internationally experienced defender to Cartagonova.

6th of July 2005

I strike out on Wisio who decides to join Deportivo.

Mendoza plays well for Peru but Uruguay sends them crashing to a 3-1 defeat in Mexico City with new AC Milan striker Uriel Pérez scoring a brace for his country.

7th of July 2005

With Francisco Ãlvarez leaving the club and Kevin Gibbens not really the type of player I want to provide cover for Gavião, I’ve been searching continental Europe for options and I found one in the form of Swedish international Kenneth Gustavsson, who plies his trade in Italy with Verona. Unfortunately for Verona, they were relegated at the end of last season, so they did not have much chance of holding onto their star player, but at least with a transfer fee of £4 million on his neck, they will pick up a cool profit of £3.8 million on their initial £200,000 investment to bring him from Malmö three seasons ago. I duly offer the Swede a contract while I begin thinking earnestly about the future of Iulian Filipescu, who has failed so far to negotiate a contract extension to his present contract which expires at the end of the season. If that continues much longer and I’m successful in bringing Gustavsson to the club, that could mean Filipescu is placed on the open market with any price over £1 million acceptable.

8th of July 2005

Kenneth Gustavsson, now officially my most expensive transfer to date at £4 million, is unveiled to the local press. He is regarded as an investment with immediate and long-term benefits for the club and can either slot in at centre-half or in an anchor role in front of the back four. Therefore, Gavião, Ãlvarez, Filipescu and Ballesteros better be on their toes with the Swede around.

10th of July 2005

Andrés Mendoza plays 90 minutes in Peru’s 0-0 draw with the USA in the Copa America. In the afternoon match, Brazil ensured qualification for the quarter-finals after thumping Uruguay 4-1 in Guadalajara with Parma’s Amoroso scoring a hat-trick. Unless Peru can upset the mighty Brazilians in Mexico City in three days’ time, either Uruguay or the USA will advance with the Golden Shirts to the next stage of the competition.

13th of July 2005

Andrés Mendoza jumps on an early flight out of Mexico back to Spain after Peru is obliterated 4-1 by a rampant Brazil in their final Group A game in Copa America. A hat-trick from veteran striker Giovanni of Fiorentina plus a goal to Barcelona’s Rivaldo sealed Peru’s fate as they are likely to prop up Group A with Uruguay and the USA to clash tonight. Despite their fate, Mendoza could be reasonably happy with his own performance in the competition, averaging 7.33 over the three games and creating a goal.

Dixie

Once more, the Cartagonova story continues!

15th of July 2005

My search for a new striker is over after Coventry’s Spanish striker Sabino officially agrees terms and transfers to Cartagonova for £2.7 million. Like colleagues Redondo and Kokmeijer, he packs a vicious shot from both short and long range while he can also pick out a defence-splitting pass with the best of them. He is also fairly handy in the air and these qualities ensured that the 27 year old striker was in the frame for a call-up last season. But a big bust-up with wee Gordon Strachan ensured that the Spaniard would leave the club and he is ours for the aforementioned price.

16th of July 2005

African minnow nations Burundi and Guinea-Bissau lead the way towards qualification for the 2006 World Cup by qualification joining Argentina (previous winner) and Germany (host) at the acclaimed event to be held next summer.

17th of July 2005

“A highly controversial FIFA ballot awards the 2010 World Cup to Argentina. It was controversial as the Oceania representative again failed to vote for the country that his association wanted him to, abstaining from the ballot and then resigning immediately. Apparently further death threats were made against the representative, which Swiss and Australian police are investigating as we speak. Oceania wanted to throw its weight behind South Africa again, with concessions granted towards Oceania’s passage into the World Cup as part of the bargain struck with the African football authorities, but the withdrawal of the Oceania’s block of votes sealed the deal for COMNEBOL and cleared the way for Argentina to host the competition for the second time in its history.â€

Kew Jaliens is required by the Netherlands for its participation in the Confederations Cup, but Niels Kokmeijer only gets to watch the competition on television as he is overlooked in favour of Kluivert, van Nistelrooy, Bruggink and Esseboom.

18th of July 2005

I hit out at increasing speculation that Ballesteros may leave the club in the near future in a deal worth £3.1 million for Segunda Liga club Atlético Madrid.

20th of July 2005

More African countries qualify officially for the World Cup with Cameroon, Zambia and the Republic of Congo all booking flights to Germany in the next few days!

22nd of July 2005

To my chagrin, losing to Valencia late last season has cost us the chance of going straight to the group phase as we are paired with either Anderlecht or ÃA in the third qualifying round. And we have to travel in the first leg. This is wonderful, this is. icon_mad.gif At least we don’t draw Juventus, Celta Vigo, Spartak Moskva, Vitoria Guimarães and Roma.

23rd of July 2005

What was that I said about Brazil being favourite to win the Copa America? Well, not only did they lose on penalties in the semi-final to Bolivia, they lost 1-0 to Chile in the third place play-off. Does this mean that Wanderley Luxemburgo will again get the pink slip?

The young winger Ramón Salas is a player upon whom I’ve had my eye on for several seasons and after he was released by Córdoba earlier in the month, I immediately offered him a contract, along with nine other clubs. Today, finally, his agent makes the call to my office to tell me that the former Olympian will join Cartagonova by the end of the weekend. Wonderful!

25th of July 2005

My goalkeepers are the focus of transfer activity this fine Monday morning in late July. Sporting Gijón offers me £550,000 for Francesc Arnau. The ex Barcelona keeper has so far refused to negotiate a new contract, so I ask for £1 million for the keeper. In the meantime, Sevilla wants to pay me £1.6 million for captain Iván Vidal, but the goalkeeper has just signed a new contract and there is no way he is going for anything less than his minimum release clause amount.

27th of July 2005

Sevilla joins the chase for Arnau as Sporting gives up on the keeper. Sevilla offers £1.1 million over six months for the reserve keeper. I knock off the six month time line and raise the price to £1.5 million.

An observant cameraman finds me in the crowd at the Stade Constant Vanden Stock Stadion in Brussels to witness Anderlecht against ÃA. In a tight but entertaining contest, a goal on 26 minutes to Anderlecht’s Yasin Karaca separates the two sides, but both clubs had plenty of opportunities to score goals on the wet night. I’m still not sure who I should prepare my players to meet when we clash with the winner of this tie in the third qualifying round.

29th of July 2005

Sevilla returns with a bid of £1.5 million for Francesc Arnau, and I decide that I would rather have the money now and no reserve keeper (well, apart from Moso) than lose the keeper at the end of the season for no money at all. Hence, I permit Sevilla to talk over a deal with Arnau. In the meantime, I start scouring Spain for another reserve keeper.

30th of July 2005

Just hours before kick-off against our F1 Cup semi-final match against English champion West Ham United, Francesc Arnau officially confirms that he has agreed terms with Sevilla and wishes to move to his new club before the weekend is out. I give him permission to leave.

F1 Cup - semi-final: Cartagonova v West Ham United

In the earlier match, Celtic defeated Juventus 1-0, so the other slot in the final of the F1 Cup is up for grabs. I name a very much experimental side with only Vidal, Livermore and Kokmeijer familiar faces for the parochial crowd. Otherwise, the eight other members of the starting eleven are new faces and players like Lua-Lua and Mendoza sit on the bench. But West Ham’s manager, ‘Arry Redknapp, has put out a settled side and they begin the stronger with Helstad and Francis Jeffers looking dangerous up forward. West Ham boss the match for the first half hour but have nothing to show for it and then Sabino gives notice of his aerial ability by heading over Livermore’s cross on 35 minutes under pressure from Rio Ferdinand. Fernando Sanz then advances from his deep position and tries his luck on 42 minutes, but he is nowhere to be seen when West Ham skins my defence and tests Vidal twice in injury time at the end of the half. The third time they try something, Vidal finally cracks as Helstad wriggles his way past Olympian Fernando Sanz and then powers home a bending, dipping shot.

Kevin Gibbens has really tried my patience again in the first half, with his atrocious tackling technique resulting in West Ham flowing forward at will. He is hauled off for Filipescu, while Gustavsson is pushed into midfield. Rufete, heartily recommended by Luis Sosa who still works for free, is replaced by Lua-Lua and we immediately look a different team. Sure enough, we’re on level terms four minutes into the second half when Kokmeijer dribbles his way through the heart of West Ham’s defence before chipping up an inviting pass for Sabino to crash home. Six minutes later, Livermore overlaps well with Ramón Salas before crossing into the box where Kokmeijer lurks unmarked and the Dutchman hits a perfect volley into the top corner! icon_biggrin.gif But our lead evaporates on 61 minutes when Ecuadorian veteran Alex Aguinaga tees up Jimmy Bullard and the former West Ham youth trainee easily heads home the opportunity to tie the scores at 2-2 apiece. We both have opportunities to break the deadlock but unfortunately we all fluff our chances, forcing it into golden goal extra-time. Nine minutes into it, Lua-Lua breaks free on the right and then forces a great save out of Michael Oakes, but he concedes the corner. Salas swings in a perfect cross over the penalty dot where Shimon Gershon climbs highest to outjump the keeper to seal the victory.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gustavsson, Gershon, Sanz; Salas, Gibbens (Filipescu 46), Rufete (Lua-Lua 46); Rivera (Mendoza 72); Sabino, Kokmeijer.

West Ham United (3-5-2): Oakes; Iriekpen, Ferdinand ©, Pearce (Holligan 91); Robinson (Williams 99), Bullard, Aguinaga (Jean 99), Wellens, McAteer; Helstad (Brown 91), Jeffers.

Final score (aet): Cartagonova 3:2 West Ham United

MoM - Jimmy Bullard

In the evening, Francesc Arnau departs for Sevilla. In return, £1.5 million is deposited in the club’s back account: Francesc Arnau (30 y/o, ESP, GK): 13 apps, 13 conceded, av. rating: 7.23

31st of July 2005

F1 Cup - final: Glasgow Celtic v Cartagonova

We lose the coin flip and are therefore regarded as the nominal away side for this fixture and we play like it. With a few players not up to play a day after their first match in two months, I make some wholesale changes to the eleven. Celtic are a little slow to get going with Marcelo Salas outjumping Shimon Gershon on 36 minutes but heads his chance over Vidal’s bar. After the break, Rivera opens up the Celtic defence with a fine cross but Mendoza’s header is well saved by Shay Given. Sabino should have tucked in the rebound but he has his radar hopelessly off target and Celtic survive that scare. On 66 minutes, Curtis Woodhouse takes the ball from inside his defensive third and moves it into midfield before laying off a 30 yard cross-field ball to McMillan. McMillan then hits another long pass accurately to Celtic’s latest acquisition Paul Scholes from AC Milan, and the England international drifts past Mendoza before firing a thunderbolt into Vidal’s top right corner. icon_mad.gif We could have forced the game into extra-time when with 10 minutes to play Juan Eduardo Esnáider fluffs an opportunity created for him by Clegg and that just about wraps things up for the afternoon.

Glasgow Celtic (3-5-2): Given; Barry (Nicholas 56 (Semak 61)), McMillan ©, Valgaeran; Silvinho (Butt 56), Woodhouse, Scholes, Ramelow (De Vos 56), Johnson (Wolfe 56); Salas (Burchill 56), Hasselbaink (Overmars 81).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Curro Torres, WingÃ¥rd, Gershon, Ballesteros; Gibbens (Gavião 58); Mendoza, Rufete; Rivera (Clegg 58); Sabino (Lua-Lua 76), Esnáider.

Final score: Glasgow Celtic 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Joos Valgaeren

3rd of August 2005

We confirm reservations for a flight to Brussels for next Wednesday and cancel our trip to Finland and then Australia as we are confirmed as playing Anderlecht in the third round of qualifying for the Champions’ League. The Belgians drew 1-1 with their Finnish opponent this evening. I decide that I don’t want my boys embarking on a long trip back from Australia only two days before an important fixture, so in the end I believe that the two games we’ve played so far this season will have to prepare us for the fixture. Unfortunately the return leg is sandwiched in between our Super Cup commitments against Barcelona, but we can’t help that, I suppose.

5th of August 2005

I manage to sign one more player before the UEFA cut-off deadline for player registration for the Champions’ League. Former Hércules goalkeeper José Francisco Belman comes to the club to provide some experienced cover for Iván Vidal, although he thinks he is here to play some football! icon_wink.gif

Anyway, here are the twenty-five names I submit to UEFA to represent Cartagonova in the Champions’ League:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (26 y/o, ESP, GK): 120(1) apps, 145 conceded, 11 MoMs, av. rating: 7.24

Joaquín Moso (26 y/o, ESP, GK): 1(3) apps, 1 conceded, av. rating: 7.50

José Francisco Belman (34 y/o, ESP, GK)

Defenders

Iulian Filipescu (31 y/o, ROM 41 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C): 58(12) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.76

Shimon Gershon (27 y/o, ISR 28 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C)

Ballesteros (29 y/o, ESP, D/DM RC): 88(1) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.97

Kew Jaliens (26 y/o, NED 3 caps, D RC): 24(3) apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.81

José María Lacruz (27 y/o, ESP, D RL): 81(3) apps, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.65

Curro Torres (28 y/o, ESP, D/DM L): 14(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.75

David Livermore (25 y/o, ENG, D/DM LC): 15(1) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.00

Óscar Ãlvarez (28 y/o, ESP, D C): 83(3) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.99

Midfielders

Kenneth Gustavsson (22 y/o, SWE 10 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C)

Gavião (25 y/o, BRA, DM C): 22 apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.23

George Clegg (24 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC): 23(5) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.93

Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua (24 y/o, DCO 6 caps, 4 goals, AM/F RLC)

Paulo Miranda (26 y/o, ARG, AM RLC): 25(18) apps, 6 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14

Fernando Morán (29 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 134(8) apps, 42 goals, 31 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29

Jurica Vucko (28 y/o, HSV 15 caps, AM/F RC): 44(7) apps, 4 goals, 10 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.96

Andrés Mendoza (27 y/o, PER 47 caps, 7 goals, AM/F LC)

Michel (29 y/o, ESP, AM L): 131(7) apps, 20 goals, 32 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.20

Alberto Rivera (27 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 40 apps, 10 goals, 8 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.33

Juan Eduardo Esnáider (32 y/o, ARG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C): 19(8) apps, 8 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.52

Strikers

José Manuel Redondo (29 y/o, ESP, S C): 133(2) apps, 78 goals, 37 assists, 23 MoMs, av. rating: 7.86

Niels Kokmeijer (25 y/o, NED, S C): 52(1) apps, 16 goals, 12 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.43

Sabino (27 y/o, ESP, S C)

Dixie Flatline

Archived