How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

20th of June 2006

Group B is finalised this afternoon when the Netherlands crush the Democratic Republic of Congo 4-0 in Berlin, with Seedorf, Sikora and Kluivert (2) sharing the goals. Niels Kokmeijer and Kew Jaliens played from the beginning, with Kokmeijer setting up goals for Sikora and Kluivert. Jaliens played well in the centre of defence for the Dutch. Lua-Lua will be our first player back in Cartegena after he played a shocker against the Dutch. Simultaneously, Jurica Vucko took the field for Croatia against Poland, but couldn’t prevent his nation going down 2-0 to the Poles. Frankowski and Stasiak scored in both halves, but it wasn’t enough to lift Poland off the bottom of Group B, while the Netherlands and Croatia join the Czech Republic in the second stage.

In the evening, Group A finishes with Argentina doing the business against Jamaica 2-0 thanks to goals from Crespo and Donnet (a penalty) in both halves. Portugal finished runners-up to Argentina after beating back the plucky United Arab Emirates 3-2.

Due to the World Cup commitments, the leading contenders for the Supporters’ Player of the Year award cannot attend, while I’m busy with my duties with the Spanish squad. Word is conveyed from Cartagena that Niels Kokmeijer is voted the Supporters’ Player of the Year, winning the award ahead of José Redondo and Alex Notman.

Somewhere along the line, without me being informed, Cartagonova became a plc, and today the directors pay out a total of £7.5 million in dividends. I’m not happy about this, because I want them to expand the stadium, particularly since our average attendance was a record 17,512.

21st of June 2006

One of my Brazilian contigent of coaches, Toninho, is offered a job as assistant manager by Espanyol. We’re due a paltry £95,000 compensation if the deal proceeds, but Toninho is a good enough coach for me to keep him at the club as a coach. Therefore, I conference call with him and the chairman of the club to fashion a new deal for him.

Group C finishes this afternoon with Germany pleasing its fans by thumping Burundi 6-0 in Munich. Alexander Zickler continued his impressive scoring record in the World Cup by putting four past the Burundan keeper. Christian Ziege and Carsten Jancker completed the rout. The big victory allowed the Germans to finish above the Ukraine despite the Ukrainians winning 1-0 over Japan thanks to a goal to captain Andriy Shevchenko on 33 minutes.

Group D is finalised in the evening when Colombia and Norway draw 2-2 in Hannover, while France and Cameroon also draw 2-2 in Stuttgart. The draws left the status quo in place, with Norway and Cameroon advancing and Colombia and France going home early.

The new 2006/07 season begins today when Cartagonova is given £5 million for TV rights for the 2006/07 season. And now the board of directors is getting serious, demanding that I mount a serious challenge for the title. Does ‘serious’ mean we cede the title by less than 20 points like we did in the season just past?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22nd of June 2006

Group E is also finalised this afternoon when Finland takes the points in an exciting game against Uruguay 4-2 in Hamburg. Kujala and Väyrynen scored twice in the first half, but Uriel Pérez halved Finland’s lead on 63 minutes. But Parnela’s penalty on 78 minutes made the points safe and Tainio added the icing on the cake on 86 minutes. Olivera’s 88th minute goal was merely consolation. In the meantime in Gelsenkirchen, two Jamie McMaster goals on 41 and 51 minutes put England on the road to the second stage and despite Zepeda’s 72nd minute, the game was made safe for Kevin Keegan’s men by Jimmy Bullard’s 75th minute goal. Nicolas Ramirez’s 90th minute goal was no more than consolation.

The Group of Death, Group F, is finished when Brazil and Saudi Arabia defeated Guinea-Bissau and Ireland 4-0 and 2-1 respectively. The South Americans were too classy for their African opponents, with the goals shared between Emerson, Edú, Róbson Ponte and Amoroso. But it was heartbreak for the Irish as they took the lead on 50 minutes when Gareth Whalley scored with a header. But Ireland’s lead only lasted nine minutes when Zebramawi equalised. Gahwaji won the game for the Saudis on 73 minutes to put the Saudis into the next round of the World Cup.

We begin the 2006/07 season with a visit to Valencia on the 27th of August, hosting promoted Alavés on the 10th of September and visiting Celta Vigo on the 17th of September.

Ireland isn’t keen on not making it to the next stage of the World Cup, so John Aldridge is summarily dismissed from his post as the Ireland manager.

23rd of June 2006

Pablo Box’s association with Cartagonova officially ends today when he moves to Gimnástica on a free transfer: Pablo Box (27 y/o, ESP, M RC): 20(15) apps, 7 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 6.94

In the afternoon, Group H’s matches are completed when China and the Czech Republic draw 0-0 in Dusseldorf, while Spain and Zambia draw 2-2 in Munich. Raúl and Vicente scored the goals for Spain, but Earnshaw and Kilambe scored Zambia’s goals. There’s great news for Cartagonova as Ballesteros comes off the bench on 54 minutes to make his long-awaited debut for his country. But he wasn’t too good when he did come on, completing only one pass out of seven and making one tackle out of one attempted.

The final group matches for the 2006 World Cup are played this evening in Group G, and it is a lot closer for second place behind runaway winner Uruguay than the pundits would have predicted before the start of the tournament. Two men were sent off in a spiteful encounter between Bulgaria and Paraguay, but the South Americans triumphed with goals to Santa Cruz and Da Silva, which cancelled out Gonzo’s second minute strike.

The USA upset Italy 4-2 in Berlin with Landon Donovan scoring a hat-trick. By the half hour, the Americans were 3-0 to the good, with two goals to Donovan on 6 and 23 minutes, and another goal to Pinon on 14 minutes. Italy threatened an unlikely comeback when Calaiò scored moments before half-time and Stefano Fiore cut the deficit to a single goal six minutes after the break, but Donovan’s third goal on 71 minutes sealed the points for the USA. It left Paraguay clear on 9 points with three victories from three games, while Italy edged out the USA and Bulgaria on goal difference.

So, the second round pits 2002 World Cup finalists Argentina and the Netherlands together in clearly the match of the round. Other eye-catching games are Brazil versus England, Croatia versus Portugal and Paraguay taking on Spain. That leaves Norway versus the Ukraine, the Czechs face Italy and the host, Germany, entertains Cameroon.

In the evening, I’m contacted by the club’s lawyers who tell me that José Redondo has agreed to the three year contract extension worth £3 million. It will keep the 30 year old European Player of the Year (I just love associating that phrase with our Redondo!) at our club until his career is practically finished. It also means he is our highest paid player at £15,250/week, but that’s peanuts when you consider that Edgar Davids is on £80,000/week at Barcelona and Raúl takes home £75,000/week from Real Madrid.

24th of June 2006

Cartagonova’s Niels Kokmeijer will return to Spain after the Netherlands were dumped out of the World Cup by Argentina 2-0 in a game dominated by the South Americans. Javier Saviola’s goal after just three minutes set the Dutch right back on their heels and Louis van Gaal’s men had little answer for the sure passing and confident attacking play of the Argentines. Juan Riquelme’s 66th minute goal sealed Argentina’s progression to the next round, leaving the Dutch a shattered team and boosting Argentina’s odds of claiming consecutive World Cup crowns.

The Golden Goal rule was invoked to split Norway and the Ukraine in an absorbing encounter in Frankfurt. Shevchenko kept up his scoring when on 7 minutes he fired the Ukraine into the lead, but it lasted only ten minutes as Manchester City’s Vegard Heggem draw the Scandinavians level. Thorstein Helstad’s 61st minute goal should have been enough for the Norwegians, but Yas’kov’s injury-time equaliser forced the two countries into extra-time. However, only two minutes elapsed before veteran Chelsea striker Tore Andre Flo struck to send his country into the quarter-finals.

Louis van Gaal takes six hours to consider his position as manager of the Netherlands, then decides that the only honourable course is to tender his resignation, which is accepted by the Dutch FA. Obviously, after winning all their group matches, bowing out at the second round is not acceptable to his bosses.

25th of June 2006

Italy crash out of the World Cup at the hands of the Czech Republic, losing 2-1 to the Czechs in Berlin. Christian Vieri put the Italians ahead on 6 minutes, but the dismissal of Roma stopper Mark Iuliano on 56 minutes changed the match’s complexion as veterans Jan Koller of Bordeaux and Barcelona’s Pavel Nedved scored.

The evening game sees Finland defeat Saudi Arabia 2-1 in Munich. In an ill-tempered affair, Finland had Hakala sent off just before half-time, but previously the Saudis lost a player to the red card and then ten minutes from time, lost a second player to the red card. In between, some football was played culminating in Sami Hyypiä scoring on 13 minutes, but Zebramawi equalised just a moment later. Finland’s winner came courtesy of Leinonen 12 minutes from time. Following the game, I place a call to Venezia’s manager and offer him £1.7 million for Hakala.

In the evening, I’m contacted by the club’s lawyers who tell me with great pleasure that George Clegg, our European Midfielder of the Year, has signed on the dotted line to remain at Cartagonova for another five years. He is delighted, apparently, to sign the new contract, and of course, I’m very happy with that too.

Luis Sosa tells me that he believes 16 year old Ismael Méndez, a right back, is good enough now to train with the first team. I’ll reserve my judgment until I return from working with the Spanish squad.

The proud tradition of Italian football requires that the Italian FA fire Nevio Scala after they lost to the Czech Republic in the second round.

26th of June 2006

Germany outlasted a gallant Cameroon to go into the quarter-finals of the World Cup, defeating the Africans 3-2 in Cologne. Jens Jeremies put the Germans on the board after just two minutes, but Cameroon equalised five minutes later through Salomon Olembé. Then Brescia’s attacking midfielder, Tchangó, put the Cameroonians into the lead on 38 minutes. However, the Germans, with the crowd putting the pressure on their own players, responded early in the second half to deny Cameroon the fairy tale upset. Five minutes into the second half, Lars Ricken of Borussia Dortmund stroked home the equaliser, and then Hertha Berlin’s Sebastian Deisler cracked the Cameroon defence for the third time in the game to score the winner.

From Hamburg in the evening, Croatia defeated Portugal to move into the last eight in the World Cup. Lazio’s veteran midfielder Mario Stanic struck just before half-time and then Porto’s Silvio Maric added a second on 69 minutes. Croatia’s central defender Robert Kovac gave away an unfortunate own goal with four minutes left, but the Croats, including Cartagonova’s Jurica Vucko, held on to send the Portuguese home early from the competition.

I’m contacted once again by the club’s officials who let me know that Toninho has turned down Espanyol’s offer of joining them as assistant manager in favour of a much improved contract with us. I also have the opportunity of offering Jukka Hakala of Venezia and Finland a contract after his Italian club accepted my cut-price offer of £1.7 million. To my surprise, Jukka only wants to be in a squad rotation role, which means that his wage demands are a lot lower than I expected. So I turn in for the night rather happy with the way things have gone so far.

27th of June 2006

Luis Sosa calls me at Spain’s hotel in Neunkirchen to tell me that local newspapers are linking Swedish defender Axel Wingård with a £1.3 million move to Sevilla. I instruct Luis that I won’t make a comment on this story.

After Christopher Källkvist joined the club last week, the remainder of our Bosman signings join the club this afternoon. Philippe Mexès and Javier Alejandro Villarreal both walk through the club’s doors to take up the club’s cause. I direct Luis Sosa to immediately start trying to turn Philippe into a traditional centre half.

However, after all our build-up to what we’re all sure will be a successful appearance in the World Cup finals, Spain once again assume the role of big-time chokers as we go down to Paraguay in extra-time. Bari’s Spanish international Rubén Navarro put us into the lead on 69 minutes and from then we really should have won. However, Paraguay took the match into extra time when CSKA Moskva’s Ricardo Cáceres equalises on 76 minutes. Eight minutes into extra time, we are dumped by Roque Santa Cruz’s Golden Goal. icon_mad.gif It’s a very angry and disappointed Spanish squad that drift back into Neunkirchen, still coming to terms with out defeat in the World Cup. But to be truthful, we really should not have expected to do that well, considering that we scraped into the competition almost by the back door. icon_frown.gif

Newcastle United’s Trevor Benjamin is the hero of all England after he scored the only goal of the game on 11 minutes to sink Brazil and no doubt condemn Wanderley Luxemburgo to the unemployment queues. It is a fairy tale for Kevin Keegan, who regained the reigns after the experiment with Roy Hodgson failed dismally. Brazil should have won the match though, considering they had the better of possession in the opponent’s defensive third of the field, but their woeful finishing would cost them in the end. That’s not to say that England were any better - Benjamin’s goal was only one of two on-target shots they had, despite having eight attempts on goal.

Jukka Hakala calls me to tell me that he will join Cartagonova as soon as possible. He then turns around and tells the Italian press that his move to Spain is partly motivated by a clash with his former manager, Signor Claudio Ranieri.

It only takes a few hours for the Spanish FA to decide the fate of Javier Clemente. He is summarily fired from his job. It is time for yours truly to throw his hat into the ring for taking on this most prestigious of jobs… icon_wink.gif Clemente is joined, as I predicted, by Luxemburgo. Also making international news, Ruud Gullit is reported by the Dutch media as interested in taking over from Louis van Gaal. icon_biggrin.gif

28th of June 2006

Real Vallodolid and Sevilla make bids of £1.8 million for Axel Wingård. I decide that offers of £2.5 million would do the trick for me.

29th of June 2006

Wonderful. Brilliant. Can’t believe it. I struggle with my board to get enough pennies to attract half-decent players. In the meantime, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer goes out and spends the lazy £9 million on bringing the best centre-half in Italy to his club. Yes, Alessandro Nesta finally leaves Lazio to join his international teammate Fabio Cannavaro to make my job of taking the title that much more difficult. icon_mad.gif And there is no sign that my club will expand the stadium any time soon. Fools! icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

30th of June 2006

My terms for Wingård’s transfer are met by both Real Vallodolid and Sevilla, so I accept both their offers and allow them to make personal offers to the player.

The first quarter-final of the World Cup is played in Stuttgart, and it sees the Czech Republic advance to the final four at the expense of Finland. At half-time, the Finns led 1-0 thanks to Auxerre’s Teemu Tainio, but a brace to Parma’s Tomas Jun in the second half sent the Czechs into the semi-finals and the Finns home.

Cafú surprises me somewhat with his publicly announced decision to join Sabadell. Then I remember that Dunga is the assistant manager there, which would explain a lot.

Over 75,000 fans in the Olympia-Stadion in Berlin were treated to a special game of football between pre-tournament favourite Argentina and Norway. The Norwegians took the lead through Christer George on 4 minutes, but only 4 minutes later, Juan Riquelme had the Argentines level. But Christer George again had Norway in the lead on 34 minutes, and in the second half, Thorstein Helstad extended their buffer to two goals. But just two minutes later Hernan Crespo gave the Argentines hope of forcing the game at least into extra time, but the Norwegians held on to knock out the South Americans!

1st of July 2006

Welcome to the new financial year, and we flex our financial muscles as I announce to the Spanish football press that we have signed Real Betis’ young attacking midfielder prodigy Jaime Garrido for a deal worth £9.75 million. It is a club record deal, and I’m sure the young man will be capable of dealing with the pressure such tags inevitably attach to the bearer. The young man appears beside me at the press conference holding up the black and white striped jersey of Cartagonova and looking extremely happy to be shaking my hand on the deal. Now, we can say that we have arrived in Spanish club football with this deal! icon_biggrin.gif

England’s supporters can’t stop grinning as they watch their country move into the last four of the competition with a stunning 4-2 victory over giantkillers Paraguay. Portuguese-based Fábio put the Paraguayans into the lead on 31 minutes, but Chilavert’s angry reaction to a Benjamin challenge saw the 40 year old veteran sent off just three minutes later, and it would cost the South Americans dearly. Jamie McMaster of Sunderland equalised for England right on half-time, before Steven Gerrard scored his fourth international career goal to give England the lead. But Fábio defied his country’s numerical inferiority to equalise on 64 minutes. However, Trevor Benjamin, the hero for England against Brazil, laid to rest any doubts that the English might throw this opportunity away when he headed home McMaster’s perfect cross on 76 minutes. McMaster proceeded to cap a fine match with his second goal of the game on 80 minutes and the game was as good as won.

As Jaime Garrido signs autographs for his new legions of fans, little notice the departure of Axel Wingård through the side entrance. He has agreed terms with Real Vallodolid and leaves immediately to complete his transfer: Axel Wingård (25 y/o, SWE, D C): 17(2) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.89.

The evening match from the World Cup sees the host sneak past Croatia, including our very own Jurica Vucko, by a solitary goal scored by Hamburg’s Florian Bruns on 14 minutes.

2nd of July 2006

Just a day after signing Axel Wingård, Real Vallodolid look to boost their attacking options by offering me £2.2 million for Alberto Rivera. I look for something more like £3.5 million before I sell them Rivera.

3rd of July 2006

I sign up Kew Jaliens and Alex Notman to long-term contracts which will hopefully set the foundation in place for long-term success. I’m still working on trying to persuade players like Mauro Esposito, Andrés Mendoza and Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua into signing contract extensions.

4th of July 2006

Real Vallodolid believe that I’ve over-priced Alberto Rivera, so they withdraw their offer for him.

The first semi-final in the World Cup is held this evening in Dortmund, and it sees Norway crush the Czech Republic 4-0 in front of 116,800 fans. After Torino’s Jon Carew put Norway in the lead on just 3 minutes, a first-half hat-trick to Villarreal’s Kristian Tanem sealed Norway’s first ever appearance in the pinnacle of football - the World Cup final. Tanem is almost ensured of a place in the ‘Dream Team’ and is tied with Germany’s Alexander Zickler on six goals in the competition for the chase for the Golden Boot.

But I don’t watch this game. Instead, I’m being wined and dined by the head honchos of the Spanish FA. It’s a celebratory dinner. It’s to celebrate the fact that, as the Spanish FA’s chief executive announces to the assembled media, I have accepted the position as the national manager of Spain. Up there with managing Barcelona and Real Madrid, this must be the ultimate test of the mettle of any manager, and after beginning so long ago in the backwater leagues of Segunda Liga B before pulling Cartagonova up by its boot-straps into a team capable of winning the Copa del Rey and challenging the very best for the title, this should be a breeze. Shouldn’t it?

“… The Spanish FA announced this evening that it has appointed Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, as the new manager of Spain after Señor Javier Clemente was sacked for not advancing Spain past the second round of the World Cup. Beginning his career with Cartagonova back in August 2000, Señor Flatline has been with the same club until today and along the way has guided the club to promotions from the lowest league in Spain to the Primera Liga and collecting two Copa del Rey trophies.â€

“Señor Flatline accompanied his predecessor, Señor Clemente, to the World Cup, but Spain’s failure to progress was largely blamed upon Señor Clemente, who was immediately sacked after Spain lost to Paraguay in the second round of the World Cup. However, Señor Flatline has a tough job to pursue. He will combine his current job of managing Cartagonova with his national and under-21 commitments as his first task is to guide Spain into the 2008 European Championships.â€

“Despite being recognised for decades as one of Europe’s and the world’s football superpowers, Spain has not seen much success in the major competitions. It’s last success came at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 when it won the gold medal, but it only won the European Championships once, back in 1964, defeating the USSR when it hosted the competition. It finished runners-up to the all-conquering French in 1984.â€

“Señor Flatline said that he is excited to be appointed to such a prestigious position and he promises the entire nation that he will do his utmost to bring success to the country and its people.â€

Now it’s my chance to reward some of the players who have been faithful to me over the years by giving them international caps! Players like José Redondo, Fernando Morán and Iván Redondo. Just kidding, of course. I would never abuse my position of power in that fashion! Or would I? icon_biggrin.gif

In any event, my first game in charge of Spain will be a tricky affair, as we travel to Copenhagen to kick off our qualifying campaign for the 2008 European Championships on the 2nd of September 2006. And to be perfectly frank, we have a tough group, with the Ukraine also capable of topping the group. Israel, Malta and San Marino are likely to fill the roles of minnows.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now it’s my chance to reward some of the players who have been faithful to me over the years by giving them international caps! Players like José Redondo, Fernando Morán and Iván Redondo. Just kidding, of course. I would never abuse my position of power in that fashion! Or would I? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I would icon_smile.gif

Wow, well done on getting the Spain job, and on passing the 5k views mark. icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

5th of July 2006

Still flushed with the excitement of knowing that I will have the hopes and dreams of every Spaniard on my shoulders for the next two years, at least, I wake up this morning back into the hum-drum of every day club management life. The first thing to deal with is an offer from Sevilla of £675,000 for Curro Torres. I gratefully accept the offer, knowing that I can off-load a useless defender who will not play again for the club.

Without playing a game for his new club, Juninho, the magician who used to light up the Riverside Stadium, is released on a free transfer by Getafe. It’s very sad.

Now as a manager of a country, it’s my duty to watch potential opponents. At least, that’s the story I tell my partner when I monopolise the television to watch Germany take on England. Unfortunately, for the Three Lions and their fans, the old enemy, Germany, takes the bragging rights and the second spot in the World Cup final by defeating England 2-0 in Berlin. The English almost held out to half-time, but Dortmund’s Lars Ricken hammered the first nail into the coffin when he scored in injury time at the end of the half. Leverkusen’s veteran midfielder, Oliver Neuville, sealed Germany’s first appearance in the World Cup final as a unified country on 59 minutes. To add insult to injury, Izzy Iriekpen was sent off with 8 minutes to play and will miss the third-placed playoff with the Czech Republic.

Curro Torres agrees terms with Sevilla and makes arrangements to move to his new club in the morrow: Curro Torres (29 y/o, ESP, D/M L): 15(2) apps, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.71 Juan Eduardo Esnáider and Joaquín Moso are given one last chance to sign new contracts. They fail to accept their chance and are therefore cast aside: Juan Eduardo Esnáider (33 y/o, ARG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C): 19(8) apps, 8 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.52), Joaquín Moso (27 y/o, ESP, GK): 1(3) apps, 1 conceded, av. rating: 7.50

6th of July 2006

Our very own Spanish international, Ballesteros, signs his name with a flourish every time he is asked for an autograph. I’m much happier to see him sign it with a flourish when he puts pen to paper on a contract that shall surely see him finish his career with Cartagonova. Worth £4 million over 4 years, it sees the ex-Rayo Vallecano and Tenerife defender sign on with the club until he is 34 years old. Hopefully we can then continue to stave off the advances of Barcelona and Real Madrid. Ballesteros claims publicly that his love for the club helped him take the new offer.

7th of July 2006

In one of those truly ironical moments that makes you really appreciate the nuances of football, Barcelona announces that their latest acquisition is a new coach - none other than their former manager, Louis van Gaal, fresh from crashing out of the World Cup with the Netherlands!

Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua pledges his future to Cartagonova by signing a three-year contract extension worth £2.5 million to the Democratic Republic of Congo international. Unfortunately, there still must be some work carried out before Fernando Morán signs up for some more of Cartagonova. Apparently, he is unhappy with me! icon_eek.gif I have known nothing of this until now, believing that he worked well with everybody at the club.

8th of July 2006

England at least have the somewhat hollow consolation of finishing third in the World Cup after they defeated the lacklustre Czech Republic 3-0 in Frankfurt. A Jamie McMaster hat-trick in 12 minutes in the second half highlighted the match.

9th of July 2006

The whole world stops to watch two European countries collide in the biggest spectacle ever. The Germans’ efficient organisation provides a slick entertainment package to get us all in the mood for some top-notch football. But everybody packed into the Olympia-Stadion in Berlin and the billions watching the game live around the world are all interested in one thing - who will be the reigning champion of football for the next four years? As a national manager, I’m given VIP passes to the best seats in the house, and as I get comfy in my plush chair and sip on the expensive German beer handed out by the smiling waitresses, I watch the game unfold before my eyes.

With 76,000 fans backing your every move, if you’re a German, then you’ve got twelve players out on the pitch. If you’re a Norwegian, it’s like you’re being invaded once again. It might be without the guns and artillery of yesteryear, but the effect is just the same. It’s little wonder then that Norway defend grimly for the first stanza of the game, but just when they think they’ve overcome the German barrage upon their goal, Vegard Heggem is adjudged to have fouled Ricken inside the area and the Spanish referee doesn’t hesitate to award the penalty to Germany. Ricken has no problem slotting it away and after 20 minutes, the Germans have the lead.

But Noway’s best player, Kristian Tanem, hasn’t given up hope just yet and timing his run superbly, breaks up a German attack and simultaneously sets free Jon Carew. The big, strong striker is too much for the German defence to handle and he swerves a blinding rocket into the top corner of Butt’s net. The cut and thrust of the game sees both countries go close before half-time, but we enter the break still deadlocked at 1-1 apiece. It doesn’t stay that way for too long, however, after the resumption of play. Five minutes into the second half, and Oliver Neuville’s experience comes to the fore as he controls a difficult ball from Bruns before finding Neuendorf with a pass. Andreas Neuendorf becomes the new hero of Germany as he strokes home the winner, leaving the whole of Germany delirious with delight. Norway had their chances of tying the game up at 2-2, but in truth they didn’t deserve to get a second chance, and after 90 minutes of scintillating football, West Ham’s Jens Nowotny has the opportunity to hold aloft the Jules Rime trophy to proclaim Germany as the new World Champion.

10th of July 2006

Fernando Morán is the next Cartagonova player to sign on the dotted line on a multi-year contractual extension. For Fernando, he will pick up a cool £2.5 million over three years, by which time he will be 32 years old.

As the new Spanish manager, I’m notified that Raúl, the Real Madrid talisman, was picked in the Dream Team for the 2006 World Cup. The full squad is (4-4-2):

Zbigniew Malkowski (Poland); Dedé (Brazil), Gao (China), Shu (China), Pope (USA); Kujala (Finland), Tanem (Norway), Raúl (Spain), Zickler (Germany); Bardaro (Argentina), Amoroso (Brazil). The substitutes are: Hans-Jörg Butt (Germany), Angel (Colombia), Marinho (Brazil), Brenne (Norway), Pérez (Uruguay), Roque Júnior (Brazil), George (Norway).

Jamie McMaster wins the Golden Boot award with eight goals, ahead of Alexander Zickler and Kristian Tanem, who both scored six times in the World Cup.

11th of July 2006

I’m intrigued to see that Real Madrid have tabled a bid of £3.4 million for Kenneth Gustavsson. I’m intrigued and interested, and I reply demanding £4.5 million for the Swedish international.

13th of July 2006

Real Madrid feels that I’m asking too much for Gustavsson, so their manager pulls the plug on any potential deal.

14th of July 2006

I’m asked to respond to a report in today’s Gazzetta della Sport that Niels Kokmeijer could be on his way to AC Milan for £8.25 million. I release a short statement to the effect that Niels is a highly valued member of my squad and I will rely upon him to be a central part of our challenge for success in the coming season. Which obviously means that he won’t be going to AC Milan, no matter the price! Although I have to hope that I can convince him to sign a new contract before the season is out, since his current contract expires at the end of the 2006/07 season.

17th of July 2006

Real Vallodolid offers me £1.1 million for Iulian Filipescu, the Romanian international who does not have a bright future at Cartagonova, I have to admit. But I would like to screw a little more money out of Real Vallodolid, so I demand £1.5 million for him.

18th of July 2006

Our preparations for the coming season suffer a blow as Shimon Gershon breaks his arm in training challenging Kokmeijer for the ball. The two month injury will see him miss the opening game of the season at least.

Real Vallodolid can’t find it in themselves to accept my terms for Filipescu, so that deal falls through, at least for the time being.

22nd of July 2006

“… Stunning news from Madrid and Paris as Paris-Saint-Germain sign Real Madrid’s favourite son, Raúl, for £20 million. The Spanish captain has long been dissatisfied with the way Real Madrid has been managed and despite the removal of Vicente del Bosque from the role last season, the new manager could not convince the talismanic striker to remain at the club. However, the news that Raúl had been sold still brought out the Real Madrid faithful onto the streets of Madrid to demonstrate against the move. The 29 year old striker has scored 232 goals in 473 appearances for Real Madrid and has 44 international goals from 89 international caps in an impressive record. It certainly is a big coup for PSG and no doubt improves their chances of capturing back-to-back European Champions’ League victories…â€

I have to say that I’m rather happy to see the back of Raúl because I think that has really weakened Real Madrid’s chances of taking anything out of the coming season. Of course, we’re likely to cross paths with PSG in the Champions’ League this season, so there won’t be time to relax just yet. But I guess Real Madrid couldn’t find a way to accommodate both Raúl and Totti in the same team, yet I would have thought they would have found a way to keep Raúl, their most famous player of the current generation, happy at the club that nurtured his talent to such fantastic heights.

23rd of July 2006

Spanish football is still humming about the news of Raúl’s departure for France, but I have to deal with another bid from Real Vallodolid for Iulian Filipescu. However, I’m not willing to alter my stance with regard to this offer, so once again I respond that only £1.5 million will be sufficient to part me with the Romanian international.

Moments after dealing with Real Vallodolid’s manager, Sevilla calls me to do business in relation with Kenneth Gustavsson. The Sevilla manager offers me £4 million for the Swedish international, an offer which is very tempting indeed. I will settle for £5 million.

24th of July 2006

Paulo Miranda returns to Argentina this morning to join River Plate. In return, we bank £1.2 million, with a further £300,000 if he plays ten league games: Paulo Miranda (27 y/o, ARG, AM RLC): 26(18) apps, 6 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.16

25th of July 2006

Deals for Gustavsson and Filipescu both fall through this morning.

30th of July 2006

Friendly - Cartagonova v Linense

It’s our first match in over two months, and only 1,800 people decide that they would like to spend their Sunday afternoon watching us go through the motions against a side from the Segunda Liga B. I name a team composed of threshold and new players, although Iván Vidal and Alex Notman are named in the first eleven. Nine devastating minutes put pay to Linense as we score four times in that period of play. Sabino gets us underway on 20 minutes, followed by Notman on 22 minutes. The big Scot scores again six minute later, while Jaime Garrido shows why we paid £7 million for him when he nets fifty seconds later. But I’m disappointed to see Gerk score a consolation goal in the second half (which Linense performs a lot better in), and even more so when George Clegg injures himself with 9 minutes to go.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Castro (Sanz 46), Hakala (Gustavsson 66), Puyol; Salas, Villarreal, Vucko (Clegg 66 (Lua-Lua 81)); Garrido; Notman (Esposito 66), Sabino (Rivera 46).

Linense (4-4-2): Gabriel (Manu 38); Cabrejo (Capi 28 (Artigas 59)), Pablo Alfaro, Jiménez (Baños 19), Imanol; Abreu, Willy, Suárez (Marco 66), Pedro; Loreto ©, Gerk.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Linense

MoM - Alex Notman

We lose Clegg for three weeks thanks to a twisted ankle. Hopefully he will be right for the start of the season, but with no preparation under his belt, his match fitness will be questionable.

1st of August 2006

German Club FC Schalke offers me £4.8 million for Niels Kokmeijer. This is still a long way short of his £7.5 million minimum release clause amount that I cunningly negotiated for when we signed the Dutchman, so I respond with a demand for £7.25 million now + £1.5 million after 20 league appearances.

3rd of August 2006

I’m staggered to discover that my perfect bluff has been called by the manager of Schalke, Herr Huub Stevens, and now I feel constrained to accept the bid. I immediately assign Alex to talk to Niels to point out that German life isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be, but I fear that I’m going to have to raid the transfer market to come up with a suitable replacement for the mercurial Dutchman. And the board won’t be happy about this either, since they only told me two days ago that he is an invaluable member of the squad. But his contract is due to expire and he wants to move, so I thought it best to sell the player rather than let his unhappiness infect the rest of the squad.

I at least try to offer him a new contract, armed with the ability to offer him £18,250/week because the board consider him an invaluable player, but I fear that we have seen the last of Niels Kokmeijer at this club.

4th of August 2006

Niels wastes no time in rejecting our offer of a new contract and signing on the dotted line with Schalke. It is a massive blow to the club, softened only by the fact that his transfer is our richest to date, smashing the former record held by the sale of Marcelo Moya to Getafe two seasons ago: Niels Kokmeijer (26 y/o, NED 3 caps, S C): 100(5) apps, 44 goals, 34 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.58.

5th of August 2006

I immediately target two replacement strikers for Kokmeijer - the first is Portuguese international César Lopes from Espinho and the second is rising Spanish star Juan Hernández from Hércules.

6th of August 2006

Hot on the heels of Kokmeijer’s departure from Cartagonova, I’m astonished to read in the papers that Sabino wants to leave for Valencia in a deal worth a paltry £2.9 million, and that also Real Madrid could be interested in the striker. I angrily deny these rumours that Sabino could be leaving in the near future and I have strong words with the striker at training in the evening session. Unfortunately, the damage has already been done, with Sabino alienating a fair proportion of the squad.

Friendly - Cartagonova v Manchester United

So, the champion club of England is in Cartagena to play us. This should be a good guide as to the form of the new players I’ve brought into the squad, as I decide to not change the starting eleven. Jaime Garrido scores on 19 minutes to give us the lead, and we spend most of the rest of the half peppering the Manchester United goal to no avail as we can’t seem to set the radar quite right. Our second goal comes deep into the second half - 13 minutes from time, in fact -as Sabino converts a penalty he earned when he was tripped inside the box by our opponent’s goalkeeper. It’s good we have that second goal as seven minutes later, Darren Taggart exposes our shaky defence to halve our lead. But we hang on in the end and rack up our second victory of the pre-season.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Castro (Mexès 59), Hakala, Puyol (Sanz 83); Salas (Esposito 59), Villarreal (Gustavsson 83), Vucko; Garrido; Notman (Rivera 59), Sabino.

Manchester United (4-4-2): Hagström; Braithwaite, Campbell, Walker (Taylor 65), Gary Neville ©; Djordjic (Etherington 59), Taggart, Bryngelsson, Partridge; Bellamy (Eadie 13 (Izzet 52)), Solskjær.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Manchester United

MoM - Jaime Garrido

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

I've been reading the story from the early days and it's most impressive.

Lately I've also been struck at how closely your career matches the beginning of my last one at Toledo. We were promoted in 2001 to the Second division where we spent 3 years before making it to La Liga. The next 4 years were spent chasing Barcelona which we finally caught in 2008. Here's hoping you manage a year earlier.

We also were in the Copa del Rey final in 2004, although Toledo did one better than Cartagonova by beating Valencia on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

In 2007 we also had the European striker of the year and keeper of the year awards (the year before we won the league - a good omen?).

And in the Champion's League we managed 2 successive semifinal places, but never went any further. Toledo did win the CL title in 2010, but I'd left them by that point.

I did manage to snare the Spain job in 2002 and there's definitely enough quality there to succeed.

Keep up the good work! I'll be cheering from the stands.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Quote: " Now it’s my chance to reward some of the players who have been faithful to me over the years by giving them international caps! Players like José Redondo, Fernando Morán and Iván Redondo. Just kidding, of course. I would never abuse my position of power in that fashion! Or would I? "

I know I would icon_smile.gif

Wow, well done on getting the Spain job, and on passing the 5k views mark. icon_wink.gificon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Peacemaker7! icon_smile.gif I didn't see you there as I busily cut and paste my story into the forums! And, of course, I meant to say Ivan Vidal, not Ivan Redondo - though a goalkeeping striker would be a rather interesting combination in a player! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sfi:

I've been reading the story from the early days and it's most impressive.

Lately I've also been struck at how closely your career matches the beginning of my last one at Toledo. We were promoted in 2001 to the Second division where we spent 3 years before making it to La Liga. The next 4 years were spent chasing Barcelona which we finally caught in 2008. Here's hoping you manage a year earlier.

We also were in the Copa del Rey final in 2004, although Toledo did one better than Cartagonova by beating Valencia on penalties after a 2-2 draw.

In 2007 we also had the European striker of the year and keeper of the year awards (the year before we won the league - a good omen?).

And in the Champion's League we managed 2 successive semifinal places, but never went any further. Toledo did win the CL title in 2010, but I'd left them by that point.

I did manage to snare the Spain job in 2002 and there's definitely enough quality there to succeed.

Keep up the good work! I'll be cheering from the stands.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much for the words of encouragement! icon_biggrin.gif They are appreciated. Hopefully the achievements you accomplished with Toledo will be a good omen for my boys, but I have to say that I still think that Barcelona are better than us. The problem is to find a way to conquer them at the Nou Camp, which has pretty much been a fortress for them against any side over the last few seasons. If we can crack it there and also at home, then we have a shot at beating them.

The Spanish squad certainly has a lot of talent in it, but the boys at CM certainly have figured out the "choke" mentality embedded in the Spanish psyche. At each major championship (European and World Cup) Spain have crashed out early and not looked like achieving much. I could end up being one in a line of failures at this job, but I hope not.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tricky Winger:

Norway in a WC final...

_Trevor Benjamin_ England hero...

Dixie Flatline Spanish manager...

So much for the realism of CM, what? icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The first point isn't so bad, because Norway have slowly been developing as a solid unit with the occasional flash of brilliance from players like Christer George and Kristian Tanem. But they were helped by the early demise of the Netherlands, and the departure of perennial favourites Argentina, Brazil and Italy.

Trevor Benjamin, if you're reading this, mate, don't give up hope just because you're at a sh*te club. Eventually you'll move to Newcastle and become a powerful, prolific striker who strikes fear into the hearts of defenders and rival managers alike. You'll score plenty of goals for England and every time you touch the ball in the white shirt bearing the three lions' emblem, you'll be cheered by millions of Poms. Sad, but true. He is the new English hero, while Michael Owen and David Beckham (now at Celtic and no longer part of the English set-up) merely forlorn, forgotten characters. Actually, Owen still plays a role in England, but is nowhere near as important as Benjamin and Jamie McMaster are.

As for the third, what can I say?! icon_biggrin.gif Lawyer on the run turned out alright, don't you think? icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

The Cartagonova epic continues

7th of August 2006

Sabino’s public claim that he wants to leave Cartagonova draws the bait, as Real Madrid weigh in with a bid of £2.9 million. Something closer to £4 million is required to tempt me into selling the striker to Real Madrid.

Levante also offers me £675,000 for Francisco Sanz. The defender has been unhappy with me ever since I denied him the opportunity of leaving the club last season, so this could be a good opportunity of ridding myself of a troublesome player, particularly as his contract will expire at the end of the season. If I can get £750,000 for him plus 10% of the next sale, I will be happy to let him leave.

9th of August 2006

Cartagonova’s very own Kenneth Gustavsson is linked with a £2.8 million move to Sevilla. I’m not sure why the press keeps linking Cartagonova players with Sevilla, since we do about the same amount of business with them as we do with any other club, but in these circumstances, I’m not willing to entertain such low bids for the Swedish international midfielder, so I put out a press release vigorously denying the rumour’s accuracy.

Real Madrid call to tell me that my terms for Sabino are too much for them. However, Levante decide that they can afford what I want for Francisco Sanz, so I give them permission to discuss terms with Sanz and his agent.

Third qualifying phase action from the European Champions’ League takes place this evening, and for once, we’re not involved, as we have a pass straight into the first group phase. Celta Vigo have their work cut out for them after they lost at home to Brøndby 1-0, thanks to a goal to Finnish international striker Daniel Sjölund on 41 minutes. Villarreal blew their opportunity of taking an away goal or two back to Spain from Scotland as their inaccurate shooting cost them against Hearts at Tynecastle.

12th of August 2006

Francisco Sanz decides that living in Valencia is eminently more preferable than Cartagena, so he agrees terms with Levante and leaves Cartagonova behind: Francisco Sanz (21 y/o, ESP, 2 Olympic caps, SW/D RC): 2(4) apps, av. rating: 6.17

F1 Cup II - semi-final: Cartagonova v Ajax Amsterdam

Our friendly competition pits us against Ajax, while the evening match sees Bayern München face off against Glasgow Celtic. In our game, little of note happens in the first half, but seven minutes into the second half, van Bronckhurst brings life to the proceedings with a rocket of a free kick from 25 yards. However, Ajax enjoy their lead for all of six minutes, as Kenneth Gustavsson comes off the bench to equalise from Lua-Lua’s cross. Notman puts us into the lead on 65 minutes, and despite some scares mainly from van Bronckhurst, we win the match and go into the final.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Castro, Hakala (Mexès 78), Puyol; Salas (Esposito 65), Villarreal (Gustavsson 52), Vucko (Lua-Lua 52); Garrido (Rivera 73); Notman, Sabino.

Ajax Amsterdam (4-3-2-1): Didulica; Carlos, Chivu ©, Heitinga, Hoekstra (Stam 52); Van Bronckhurst, van der Leegte (Zenden 76), Vampeta; Janssen (Zongo 52), Valeev (Fischer 52 (Daems 70)); Trezeguet.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Ajax Amsterdam

MoM - Alex Notman

13th of August 2006

F1 Cup II - Bayern München v Cartagonova

After Bayern defeated Celtic last night, I swap my team around to get as many fresh faces into the line-up as possible. But it fails dismally as within sixty seconds we are already a goal behind thanks to a special from Christer George. But our sorrow is shortlived as Alberto Rivera drives a shot home on 4 minutes to equalise. However, the defence crumbles once again on 17 minutes as Neuville gets past Lacruz all too easily before driving a pot shot beyond the reach of Vidal. We concede a penalty six minutes into the second half, which is easily converted by Deco, and it’s all over for all intents and purposes. When Bayern have their fourth goal on the board, I’m very disappointed in our play today as Neuville claims his second goal of the game. Villarreal pulls a goal back a minute later, but the damage is far too great and I retreat to my office to muse over our defensive frailties.

Bayern München (4-2-4): Chiotis; Solari, Backer, Kuffour (Bermúdez 80), Babbel (Göktan 54 (Zickler 73))); Deco, Jeremies ©; Neumann, Élber (Wolf 54), Santa Cruz, George.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidál ©; Livermore (Jaliens 46), Ballesteros, Hakala, Lacruz; Villarreal (Gustavsson 58); Salas (Esposito 58), Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Rivera (Sabino 58).

Final score: Bayern München 4:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Christer George

14th of August 2006

Celta Vigo weigh in this morning with a bid of £3.4 million for Kenneth Gustavsson. Anything around £4.5 million for the Swedish international would suit me fine, if I were to sell him. But then I see that Diego Ribera, the Spanish international striker, is considering swapping clubs, so I make an audacious offer of a straight swap - Gustavsson for Ribera.

Some of the Kokmeijer money finally makes it way into the Hércules’ bank account as we pay £1.7 million for Spanish striker Juan Hernández.

16th of August 2006

Celta Vigo don’t like the straight swap offer, so they instead return with an offer of £4.6 million for Gustavsson. Given that he is only 23 and yet to truly settle into Spanish life, I decide to reject the offer.

In the evening, I call a press conference to unveil our new acquisition. After César Lopes decided to negotiate in bad faith, I swapped my interest to Danish international Daniel Jensen, who is languishing in Mallorca B’s team. A cut-price offer of £2.2 million excited Mallorca’s interest sufficiently to negotiate terms with him, and today he has decided to sign on the dotted line.

19th of August 2006

The Spanish transfer deadline passed by yesterday, so it’s time to review once again the Cartagonova squad that will contest the 2006/07 season, as well as review the chances of the twenty teams in the Primera Liga. We’ll start with the goalkeepers:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (27 y/o, ESP, GK): 186(1) apps, 223 conceded, 17 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32: Clearly our established first choice keeper, and despite the failed attempt to bring Oliver Kahn to the club (he went to Tenerife on a free transfer in the end), he will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Not only the man responsible for being the last line in defence, he is the club’s captain and the players’ ambassador to the coaching staff, jobs he carries out to the best of his abilities. Not only that, he is the reigning European Goalkeeper of the Year, and as such, he has no better chance of impressing the new manager of Spain (that’s me, in case you had forgotten!) and earning his first call-up to the squad in the coming season.

Iván says, “I’m looking forward to the new season and matching our wits against the best in the business. If you’ve looked at our record in the past few seasons since we entered the Primera Liga, you’ll see that we’ve gone from fourth to third to second. If we keep up that rate of progression, then we should be up there challenging for the title. I’m going to do my best to help Cartagonova make the jump to the top rung of the ladder in the Primera Liga, and I think we have as good a chance as any of taking out the title. We have a good close-knit squad, with plenty of stars but above all else, we have good team morale, and that always counts over a long season.â€

José Francisco Belman (35 y/o, ESP, GK): 1 app, 0 conceded, av. rating: 8.00: While Vidal is our first choice keeper, José begins the season as the first keeper of the rank in case Vidal falls over and crocks himself. He keeps himself ahead of the untested Swede Christoffer Källkvist mainly through his added years.

Christoffer Källkvist (23 y/o, SWE, GK): 0 apps: The first in position order of our new signings for the season, he is one player who is not likely to feature very often in the coming season. If he does, then that means there is something very wrong with our goalkeeping department. However, he is still very much the developing product and we all hold high hopes that he will one day represent the club with distinction at the top flight. He may indeed be the long-term captain of the club, given the way in which he has organised the defenders I’ve given responsibility to him to look after in the early training sessions of the campaign.

Christoffer says, “I’m very excited to be at Cartagonova. Everybody in Europe is aware of the progress they’ve made in the last few seasons, and I’m very happy to be part of the squad which has the chance of taking the next step both domestically and in Europe. I’m well aware of the personal challenges that lay ahead of me, and I’m looking forward to making the right impression upon the coaches and of course, the manager. I’m not one to shirk hard work and this is never more true than this season.â€

Defenders

Juan Carlos Castro (19 y/o, ESP 1 Olympic cap, SW/D C): 0 apps: After being at the club two full seasons, I think it is high time that Juan Carlos takes the next step and proves himself ready to begin participating in the first team. To that end, I’ve been playing him in the pre-season friendlies against some high power sides like Bayern and Manchester United. He didn’t embarrass himself, but then again he didn’t distinguish himself and it is clear that we are dealing with a player still coming to terms with the whole concept of playing 90 minutes of highly competitive football.

Iulian Filipescu (32 y/o, ROM 46 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C): 67(14) apps, 10 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.73: Despite my better judgment, at the urgings of the coaches, I decided to give Iulian a further half-season to prove his worth to the club. But I have been willing to entertain offers for him and if the right one comes along the way, I won’t hesitate to allow him to negotiate a future away from Cartagonova. He is not likely to feature much in the league this season, and I fear that his days are truly numbered at the club. But I’m willing to be persuaded otherwise.

Iulian says, “I’m happy that the gaffer has given me one more chance at Cartagonova. I really enjoy playing at the club - the fans have been wonderful and very supporting of me in the past few seasons and I hope to repay their faith with some good games. I know that perhaps my best years are now behind me, but what I lack in natural talent these days, I hope to make up in hard-earned experience. I still think I’m capable of adding a lot to the club’s challenge for success this season and I want definitely to be a part of it.â€

Shimon Gershon (28 y/o, ISR 32 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C): 45(4) apps, 2 goals, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29: He had a very good first season at Cartagonova. The challenge for Shimon is to back that season up with a season that is at least as good, if not better. He has earned the number 4 on his back through some excellent, powerful performances at the centre of defence and if we are to have a chance of taking the title, I need him to be at the peak of his powers week in and week out. Teams well with Ballesteros and Óscar Ãlvarez, so that understanding should only be strengthened as he enters his second season at Cartagonova. I’m looking forward to consistently good performances from the Israeli international.

Philippe Mexès (24 y/o, FRA, SW C): 0 apps: Another new signing, he has undergone intensive training of being a proper centre half instead of being a sweeper only. It has not yet borne fruit, and I hope it does, because otherwise the gamble we’ve taken on this naturally talented player will be less successful than I thought it would be when we signed him on a free transfer from QPR. But he is a more than handy player at the back, and I think that as time passes here in Cartagonova, he will be more and more involved in the club’s activities on the pitch.

Ballesteros (30 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D/DM RC): 151(1) apps, 6 goals, 8 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.08: One of our better defenders, and he earned his first cap for Spain at the recently concluded World Cup. With his manager currently at the helm of his country’s football fortunes, he knows that he has never a better chance of adding to his international cap collection than continuing his great form on the pitch for Cartagonova. He recently signed a new three-year contract which ties him to the club until he turns 33. Hopefully that means that clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid stop annoying me with bids for the versatile defender and we can get on the job of exploiting his talents to the fullest. He already has two Copa del Rey winners’ medals, and one runners-up medal, but what he wants - and of course, all of us involved here in Cartagonova - is a Primera Liga championship medal. At 30 years of age, he is at the peak of his powers and I will look to him to hold the defence together this season.

Ballesteros says, “I’m very happy to have signed a new contract with Cartagonova. I have to admit that it was difficult last season knowing that clubs like Real Madrid and Barcelona were making offers for me, but in the end, the gaffer made the right decision in not selling me, because I think that with the additions to the squad we’ve made over the summer, we have a really good chance of winning more trophies by the end of the season. I’m happy here, because I know that I have an important role to fulfil and I’m always happy when I’m challenged to do my best week in and week out for the club.â€

Kew Jaliens (27 y/o, NED 9 caps, D RC): 48(9) caps, 1 goal, 7 assists, av. rating: 6.77): Another player who I decided that Cartagonova’s long-term future would depend upon, I signed him up to a new, improved contract. He had a mixed time at the World Cup, adding a few more caps to his collection, but with the removal of Louis van Gaal from the top job in the Netherlands, his international future looks a little clouded at the moment. He will also have to impress me a lot more than he has done to earn himself a regular position in the first eleven, because he faces some stiff competition for that coveted right full-back role, not the least of which comes from the man you’ve all just heard from, Ballesteros. But it is undeniable that he will play a significant role in this season’s campaign.

José María Lacruz (28 y/o, ESP, D RL): 125(4) apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.68: He is one of those players who says very little, but you’d miss him if he wasn’t there. Certainly one of our more quiet achievers, but he’s always been there, battling to deny the opposition a chance at hitting the ball towards Vidal. His versatility and ability to play on both sides of the back four means that he is always in consideration for a place in the first eleven, and I don’t see why that won’t change this season.

Carl Laurie (23 y/o, ENG, D/DM RLC): 1(11) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.42: It’s been a long way since he first burst onto the scene with Crewe Alexander for the young lad, but he is beginning to approach that critical time when footballers’ futures are made or broken. Unfortunately, his inability to comprehend even the most basic of Spanish phrases over the summer means that his competence at conversing with his teammates is not of an adequate standard to really consider him regular first team material, but if that is the only thing holding him back, then you know he is almost there in terms of everything else. There may be still be the need to fork out £425,000 if he plays ten internationals for England.

Ismael Méndez (17 y/o, ESP, D R): 0 apps: Little more than a boy, he is the player recommended by Luis Sosa as somebody who should be invited to train with the first team. Currently on a rolling contract, I’m not quite sure whether he fits the bill as a future Cartagonova player, but I’m willing to reserve judgment while the coaches get to work on moulding this raw material into a fully fledged professional player.

Carles Puyol (28 y/o, ESP, D R): 0 apps: Unlike the player just discussed, Carles has had a good career with Barcelona but his frustration at his inability to hold down a regular position has led to his move to Barcelona’ latest fierce rival, namely, us. At £925,000, his price tag shouldn’t be considered too pricey, but he knows that he needs to do a lot of work before he can consider himself a certainty for that position on the right of my defence. Still, he has been one of the better players in the pre-season games we’ve played, so I think that the money spent on him has been good so far.

David Livermore (26 y/o, ENG, D/DM LC): 53(7) apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.93: There has been worrying signs that David is beginning to go slightly backwards instead of progressing forwards into becoming a better player. That isn’t good when I’ve been grooming him as a potential full-time left back. There is still hope that he can turn things around on the training track and make a better fist of things on the pitch, but at the moment, he cannot be considered a certainty of starting the first league game of the season. I need to be convinced that he still has the ability and the talent he showed in his first few months at Cartagonova.

Jukka Hakala (28 y/o, FIN 30 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C): 0 apps: As his displays at the heart of the Finnish defence showed during the World Cup, Jukka is a player who likes to get stuck in, a trait that no doubt won him many plaudits at his former club, Venezia. A strong, powerfully built man, he is a player capable of handling the strongest strikers in the opposition’s arsenal, and I hope that his addition to the squad strengthens our defence. He will duel with Ãlvarez and Gershon for starting positions in the back four, since I’m not willing to change my tried and true four at the back system to accommodate three good centre halves. Perhaps his pace is his one downfall, but hopefully we can work around that in the season to come. I’m not quite sure whether he is the last piece in the jigsaw puzzle to bring us the title this season, but I feel that we haven’t gone backwards in paying the money to bring him to Cartagonova.

Jukka says, “It was a great honour playing for Finland in the World Cup, and as an added bonus, my games there helped me earn this move to Cartagonova. The club is famous around Europe as a club that gets things done, and no doubt I look forward to the opportunity of playing in the Champions’ League, which behind the World Cup, is probably my biggest ambition. I know that competition for places in the defence is tough, and I know that I’m going to have to be at my best consistently to keep my spot, but I’m sure that I’m up to the task, and I think that will benefit Cartagonova.â€

Óscar Ãlvarez (29 y/o, ESP, D C): 121(4) apps, 4 goals, 2 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 6.94: The player whose position is most under threat in terms of consistently playing first team football since the arrival of the big Finnish defender, Óscar is nevertheless a player capable of offering a lot when it comes to the crunch for Cartagonova. He had disciplinary problems early in his Cartagonova career, but I feel that he has worked out those problems and has become a better player for it, with controlled aggression directed towards the ball, not the opponent controlling it.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

The preliminaries for the new season continue!

Midfielders

Kenneth Gustavsson (23 y/o, SWE 12 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C): 19(5) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63: I hope that Kenneth has the feeling that he is lucky to still be in the squad after several clubs came in with tempting offers for the Swedish international during the summer. I turned down these offers mainly on the belief that his first season in Spain was difficult because he didn’t quite fit into the local scene, and once he has fully adjusted to the culture of Cartagena and the rest of Spain, he will be a better player - following the example of George Clegg, for instance. I truly hope that he does play better this season, otherwise the next time somebody offers more than £4 million for him, he will be on his way out of the club.

Kenneth says, “It’s a great honour playing for Cartagonova. I looked forward to the move to Spain last season and now that my first season is behind me, I’m anxious to get the second season under way and build on my achievements. It was disappointing not going to the World Cup as a player, but that will only motivate me more to play better for Sweden. But to do that, I need to play well for my club, which is my primary aim. I want to promise my supporters here in Cartagena and back in Sweden that I’ll do my utmost to help the club succeed in all competitions.â€

The preliminaries for the new season continue!

Midfielders

Kenneth Gustavsson (23 y/o, SWE 12 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C): 19(5) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63: I hope that Kenneth has the feeling that he is lucky to still be in the squad after several clubs came in with tempting offers for the Swedish international during the summer. I turned down these offers mainly on the belief that his first season in Spain was difficult because he didn’t quite fit into the local scene, and once he has fully adjusted to the culture of Cartagena and the rest of Spain, he will be a better player - following the example of George Clegg, for instance. I truly hope that he does play better this season, otherwise the next time somebody offers more than £4 million for him, he will be on his way out of the club.

Kenneth says, “It’s a great honour playing for Cartagonova. I looked forward to the move to Spain last season and now that my first season is behind me, I’m anxious to get the second season under way and build on my achievements. It was disappointing not going to the World Cup as a player, but that will only motivate me more to play better for Sweden. But to do that, I need to play well for my club, which is my primary aim. I want to promise my supporters here in Cartagena and back in Sweden that I’ll do my utmost to help the club succeed in all competitions.â€

Gavião (26 y/o, BRA, DM C): 64(2) apps, 13 goals, 11 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29: If there is ever a model midfielder to base the remainder of our midfielders around, it is this man. I am shocked that the Brazilian national coach overlooked him for their World Cup campaign, and if he ever lands Spanish citizenship in the next couple of seasons, I think it would be worth my while adding him to the national squad. Normally playing either in central midfield or shielding the back four as an anchor man, he still managed to score 13 goals in his first season and a half at Cartagonova, and if he keeps up this rate, I will rate him one of my best acquisitions ever. He is a superb combatant for the ball in midfield, a tenacious battler who won’t give up no matter the odds, and every team needs a player like him. The other defensive midfielders we have had or have at the club pale into insignificance beside this man, so highly do I rate him.

Gavião says, “It’s very nice that everybody thinks that I’m a very important player here in Cartagonova. I certainly didn’t get such treatment from my old club, but I hope that my time here in Cartagena have proved them wrong. I look forward to again pulling on the shirt of Cartagonova and going out there to do my best in every game that I play. It’s my ambition to play for my country, and although I missed out on the World Cup, I still feel that my time is coming closer and if I can keep up my standard of play through the coming season, I think both the club’s goals and my own have a good chance of being achieved.â€

Javier Alejandro Villarreal (27 y/o, ARG, DM C): 0 apps: Signed as cover for Gavião, he has not been too impressive in our pre-season friendlies, to say the least. In fact, some of his performances were so bad that I wonder if I’ve made a mistake in signing him on a free transfer from Córdoba. At least he has Spanish citizenship, though, which can prove useful if I decide to offload him. Obviously, it’s too early to make such a call about the player, and he will be given time to settle into the way we do things around Cartagonova. He certainly has the determination to pull this caper off, and given that Gaviã and Gustavsson stand in his way, he is going to need all the determination he can muster.

Javier says, “When my agent told me that Cartagonova was interested in signing him late last season, I could not believe it. Everybody in Spain has heard the story of the club that came up through the divisions to become one of the most powerful clubs in Europe and Spain. And they wanted me to play for them! Of course, when the offer became official, I couldn’t resist it and I jumped at the chance. I know that there are plenty of other good midfielders at the club who play in my position, so I know that I am being challenged to produce my best to win a spot in the team on a regular basis, but I am up for the challenge and I want to show them my very best.â€

George Clegg (25 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC): 57(16) apps, 17 goals, 11 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.11: Now is the time for George to really stamp himself on the domestic game. He had a great European campaign last time around, picking up individual honours in the form of European Midfielder of the Year, but the number of substitute appearances in his record is testimony to the fact that for a stretch of time last season, I didn’t consider him first choice material. To be fair, that coincided with the remarkable form of Fernando Morán, who would have kept out midfielders even more accomplished than George, but I would like to see George make a real effort to carve out for himself a place in my eleven. I think he is capable of great things if he works very hard at it, and I want the club to be the main beneficiary of his talent and workrate.

Jaime Garrido (22 y/o, ESP 4 Olympic caps, 4 goals, AM/F RLC): 0 apps: At an initial payment of £7 million plus another £2.6 million after twenty league appearances, Jaime is by far our most expensive outlay on a player. But he is so good that I think he will be worth every single penny the club paid for him. He has everything (except, perhaps, a turn of speed), and at 22 years old, he can only improve. I’m looking forward to seeing him take to the pitch against the best clubs in Spain and Europe, and taking them on. He has already shown glimpses of his rare natural talent against the likes of Manchester United in the pre-season friendlies, and if they are anything to go by, it will be exciting to watch him go. He has already appropriated the number 7 jersey from Jurica Vucko - he will need to earn the right to keep it beyond this season.

Jaime says, “After spending my formative years at Seville with Real Betis, it certainly was a shock to come to Cartagena and see just how much each player that plays for Cartagonova is idolised by the townsfolk. I already feel like a million dollars every time I walk down the street, and I know that the fans have invested a lot of their hopes in me to deliver the goods on the pitch. But I have confidence in myself. I have a pair of legs that can dance their way past defenders, and I have the ability to hit the ball into the back of the net. My new manager has told me that he will give me every support and with the help of legends like Enzo Francescoli and Romário, I think that my career will only get better from here.â€

Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua (25 y/o, DCO 9 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RLC): 33(7) apps, 5 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.80: A mildly good season in his first for the club and he now has a contract extension radically improving his personal terms but tying him to the club until 2009. So we are both happy at the moment. Still, I would like to see the Congan midfielder up his contribution, particularly in the manner of creating opportunities for others to score from. I play him as a winger, and as such he should be slinging in those crosses and finding those defence-splitting passes to put players like Redondo and Notman in on goal. He knows the score, and he will hopefully put my advice to best use.

Fernando Morán (30 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 180(13) apps, 67 goals, 43 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rating: 7.33: He scored his 50th goal for Cartagonova last season, and then started out on the next 50 in a blazing hurry. Along the way, he regained his stature as the crowd’s favourite player, and I’m sure they will all be anxious to see him wear his number ten proudly when we line up against Barcelona in the forthcoming Super Cup. Not to mention, he will obviously wish to pass that magic 200 appearance mark and be part of an elite bunch of players. If he can be as half as good as he was last season, I will still be very impressed. I was sufficiently impressed to hand him a contract extension that sees him tied to the club until he is 33 years old, which should mean that his current club is his last club.

Ramón Salas (21 y/o, ESP 1 Olympic cap, AM RL): 2(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.60: From modest beginnings, big things grow, and I believe that Ramón has the chance of being the next big thing for Cartagonova. He is still rough around the edges, but given time, I think we can turn out a valuable performer for the Primera Liga and someone who could give excellent service to the club in the long term. He will be given his fair share of time on the pitch to hone those skills learned on the training track, but this is not quite his time just yet.

Jurica Vucko (29 y/o HSV 22 caps, AM/F RC): 62(18) apps, 5 goals, 16 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 6.84: Lost his way slightly after an injury-ravaged season last time out, but he did play a role in Croatia’s World Cup campaign. He comes back from Germany with the challenge of winning back his regular first team position that was his own the previous season, and I will be interested to know how he will respond to that challenge. Still capable of being a great player and a valuable contributor to the club, it is up to him to find out whether he is mentally ready to assume command of his destiny at Cartagonova.

Andrés Mendoza (28 y/o, PER 53 caps, 8 goals, AM/F LC): 13(6) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.79: Serves his purpose as a cover for Michel on the left of midfield, but he has refused to negotiate a new contract and therefore, I might lose him for free at the end of the season. But that won’t dissuade me from not using him very often unless something radical happens to my left side of midfield during the course of the season.

Michel (30 y/o, ESP, AM L): 181(8) apps, 28 goals, 44 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19: He will probably be our first inductee into the famed and elite 200 appearances club. He has been with the club through thick and thin (alright, it’s mainly been thick), and he will of course be remembered fondly by all Cartagonova fans as the player whose goal delivered to the club its first Copa del Rey against Real Betis. Now into his 30s, his best days could be slowly passing behind him, but I’m sure that’s not going to worry him too much, as he knows that he is the premier left winger at the club. He likes to score goals as much as create them, and so long as he keeps doing that, he has nothing to worry about.

Michel says, “At a young club with a constantly changing player roster, it feels odd in a funny way that I’ve been here for almost five full seasons. When I first joined the club, we were in the Segunda Liga and I thought that it would be a long time before we reached the heights we reaching at the moment. But we’ve managed to defy the odds and pull off some miraculous results that even I don’t fully believe, despite being a part of it all. Of course, my biggest highlight was scoring the winner against Real Betis in the Copa del Rey final, and if something like that would happen to me again, I’d do it in a shot. Yet I know that as a team, we achieve things together, so I’m happy to merely play my part and do things that I’m expected to do to the best of my ability. I’m going to continue doing that for as long as the gaffer wants me here. I enjoy my life here at Cartagonova and I couldn’t comprehend playing for another club.â€

Forwards

Mauro Esposito (27 y/o, ITA 1 cap, AM/F LC): 18(16) apps, 10 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.92: Time is beginning to run out for Mauro if he wishes to make a lasting mark at Cartagonova. His contract will expire at the end of the season, and I think he knows that the writing is on the wall, since he has not begun negotiations to extend it at the moment. Nevertheless, his form during the pre-season competitions, coming on as a left winger rather than a striker, suggest that I can use his services quite productively when occasion calls for it, and I would like to see him come to some type of agreement with the club.

Dennis Bergkamp (37 y/o, NED 79 caps, 38 goals, AM/F C): 0(2) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 8.00: No doubt the elder statesman at the club, the other players look up to him and listen to him with a great deal of respect. He will not figure in a game for me unless things are really dire, and I expect him to move on at the end of the season when his contract expires. He has not evinced a desire to move into coaching, so I think he will be gone from the club this time next season.

Juan Hernández (21 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 0 apps: Signed from Hércules for slightly less than £2 million, I have the feeling that this will be money well-spent. He is of course, still far from the finished product, but what we’ve already seen suggests that he is a forward of the highest calibre and I hope that he will one day pull on the Spanish guernsey as a striker. He is blessed with pace, technique and a finishing ability to rival other strikers and I feel that with the expert guidance of former players and coaches like Romário and Enzo Francescoli, he will blossom into a fine performer for Cartagonova.

Daniel Jensen (27 y/o, DAN 24 caps, 3 goals, AM/F C): 0 apps: More mature and experienced than Juan, Daniel Jensen languished too long in Mallorca’s reserve team before I snapped him up. While not strong aerially, he brings to Cartagonova ability and devastating shooting prowess whilst controlling the ball at high speed. These are attributes I like to see in my strikers and I believe that Daniel could be good support for Redondo and Alex Notman. He will need to prove himself on a regular basis coming off the bench before I trust him to start a game, but I think he is talented enough to be figuring heavily in our forthcoming campaign.

Alex Notman (26 y/o, SCO 11 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C): 23(4) apps, 15 goals, 12 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 8.04: After a terrific half-season in the 2005/06 season, I immediately scrambled the lawyers to sign this boy up on a long-term contract. After some protracted negotiations, we finally arrived at a mutually beneficial agreement and Alex will remain a Cartagonova player until 2010, which is excellent for the club’s long-term future. This man is one of the best strikers in Europe, and it’s a pity that Scotland couldn’t make it to the World Cup because he would have been a star there too. Instead, he will return to club competition refreshed and revitalised, ready to pick up from where he left off. In the aftermath of the sale of Kokmeijer, Alex and Redondo will hopefully form a partnership the bane of many a defence around the country and around the continent.

Alex says, “I couldn’t be happier here in Cartagena. Everybody is so good to me and everybody has helped me settled in here. It has certainly contributed to the way I played my football last season. When I was in Stuttgart, I really felt the pressure, but as soon as I arrived in Spain, I knew that the change in lifestyle is something I needed. Everything is so professional here, and everything is done to assure me that what I want will be available when I want it. Of course, with this luxury comes great responsibility and I know that what I’ve done so far for the club should be nothing when it comes to what I will do in the next season. I have the opportunity of showing the world that Cartagonova is a club to be feared, and our imposing scoring record should be maintained.â€

Alberto Rivera (28 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 51(3) apps, 15 goals, 12 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32: It wasn’t the best of homecomings for our Alberto, but he did his job when called upon and I hope that he will be there if the call comes again. I can rely on him to give all he has in the cause of the club, and I want him to continue doing that for as long as possible. Unfortunately, that may only be until the end of the season, since the wily forward has refused to negotiate a contract extension that I’ve been dangling in front of him for the past couple of months. I don’t want our association to end like that, but I will not be forced into playing him more often than I should.

José Manuel Redondo (30 y/o, ESP, S C): 174(5) apps, 102 goals, 46 assists, 29 MoMs, av. rating: 7.85: Our European Player of the Year for last season, he is now one of the most respected and feared strikers in the land. He is also our most prolific striker of all time and he will have the opportunity to keep that record ticking over as he has signed a new contract that sees him remain at Cartagonova until he is 33 years old. I don’t expect him to be quite as prolific as he was a few seasons back, but he is still a great striker and many of the opponents we will face will assign their best defender to look after him, allowing his partner to do considerable damage against the weaker of the defenders. He was and remains a fan favourite with everybody around here, and I think that he has another great season ahead of him.

Sabino (28 y/o, ESP, S C): 10(9) apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.42: Unfortunately, he decided that his cause would best be served by pouring forth to a Spanish newspaper and admitting that he would fancy a move to either Valencia or Real Madrid. Despite my best efforts at retaining strong club discipline, his actions have provoked nearly half the side and unfortunately, such high levels of ill-feeling towards the former Coventry striker means that he is unlikely to start a match for a long time this season. Which is a pity because with the sale of Kokmeijer to Schalke, he could have advanced his name forward as a possible replacement with a good pre-season. He did play well, admittedly, but I think that the cons outweigh the pros in this regard, for the time being.

To continue setting the scene, let's take a look at what's going on in the Primera Liga!

Okay, now that we’re done looking at the squad I’ve assembled for this season, let’s take a look at the competition we’ll face in the Primera Liga. We’ll start with Alavés, who were promoted from the Segunda Liga at the end of the season. Three major signings were the extent of their transfer activity, with Brazilian veteran midfielder, formerly of Middlesbrough but late of Deportivo, Emerson signing on a Bosman free transfer, while Ludovic Giuly joined from Monaco also on a free transfer. The money was spent on Salvadoran attacking midfielder, Cristian Ãlvarez, who chose Alavés over his former employer Cartagonova when he left Levante. Alavés decided to do without Joachim Björklund, allowing the 35 year old Swedish defender to leave on a free transfer. Manager Señor Frank Rijkaard will hope that he can keep the club in the Primera Liga, but with the players like Jerzy Dudek, Steve McManaman and Ãlvarez in the squad, it is possible that they could do better than merely stave off relegation.

Likely first eleven (4-4-2): Dudek; Pérez, José, Mayo, Contra; Figueroa, Ãlvarez, Ismael Ruiz, McManaman; Javi Moreno, Epitié

Athletic Bilbao disappointingly finished twelfth last season and hope that they can do much better in this season, going ever closer to the championship-winning season of 2002/03. However, the club’s policy of signing only Basque players limits the opportunities that Athletic, still sporting the Sunderland colours after almost a century of existence, can use to pursue their dreams of glory. Veterans Ander Garitano and Kaiku signed on free transfers, while Aitor was signed from Real Betis for £600,000. Therefore, like many seasons previously, the club’s fortunes largely rest upon the shoulders of Spanish internationals Joseba Etxeberría and Jorge Pérez. If the rest of the league can handle these two players, then Athletic Bilbao could struggle to make any impact on the league, but if they can cut loose, the club could finish in the top six.

Likely first eleven (1-2-5-2): Imanol Etxeberría; Aitor; Karanka, Roberto Ríos; Aitor, Jorge Pérez, Solaun, Felipe, Idiákez; Joseba Etxeberría, Arteaga

Finishing runners-up in the Segunda Liga, Atlético Madrid hope that their latest adventure in the Primera Liga lasts longer than the three seasons they spent in the top flight between 2002/03 and 2004/05. The notorious chairman, Señor Jesus Gil, wants his manager, Señor Víctor Manuel García Ruiz, to quickly establish the club’s credentials in the Primera Liga. The major signing the club has managed to pick up is the former Argentine international Ricardo Verón, signed from Valencia for £4 million. Combining with former Betis midfielder Quique and striker Tevenet, Verón is expected to provide the team’s attacking impetus while Gaizka Garitano will carry the defence’s burdens upon his broad shoulders. However, Atlético’s future in this campaign is not ensured and it may well find itself sucked into a relegation dogfight.

Likely first eleven (1-2-5-2): Toni; Santi; Gaizka Garitano, David Charcos; Santis, Albelda, Samuel, Verón, Quique; Djaló, Tevenet

Barcelona was the class of the field last season, finishing a whopping twenty points clear of Cartagonova in the chase for the title. The successful manager, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer, has added only two players to his squad, while he released Lilian Thuram, the former French captain, from his contract. One of the two new additions to the squad is generally regarded as the finest defender of his age, as Barcelona spent £9 million upon Lazio’s Alessandro Nesta, now bringing together the fearsome combination of Fabio Cannavaro and Nesta, so successful at international level, together for the first time at club football. The squad possesses plenty of experience, with international pedigree sprinkled through every position, and it would be hard for many people to go past Barcelona claiming yet another domestic triumph, with few clubs in any position to challenge them for the crown.

Likely first eleven (4-4-2): César Laínez; Sergi, Cannavaro, Nesta, Zanetti; Nedved, Davids, Verón, Ortega; Kluivert, Alfonso

Real Betis has survived a few seasons in the Primera Liga since arriving from the Segunda Liga, but apart from losing a Copa del Rey final to Cartagonova the season before last, has done little to establish itself as a powerful club that Señor Manuel Ruiz de Lopera, the club’s chairman, so much wants to achieve. However, none of the signings the club grabbed during the summer would inspire their fans into believing that finally, this season would be the one where they finally rise to the top of the Primera Liga. The burden will fall again upon David Rivas in defence and Jorge Quinteros in attack to spearhead the club’s fortunes in the forthcoming season.

Likely first eleven (3-5-2): Miki; Rivas, Mainz, Mora; Sun, Chippo, Mario, Benítez, Arellano; Casas, Quinteros

Cartagonova has steadily improved their performance in the previous three seasons of their participation in the top flight of Spanish football. Finishing fourth in their first season, third in their second and losing the title to Barcelona by twenty points last season means that Cartagonova is in a strong position to challenge for the title. Certainly, the fanatical supporters that crowd into the 18,000-strong Estádio Municipál de Cartagena are now used to success and the manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, recently appointed to the role of manager of Spain after the country failed to make an impact on the World Cup, has brought plenty of new blood into the squad to continue the policy of strengthening the club at all possible times. The signing of potential Spanish star Jaime Garrido marks the entry of Cartagonova into the big transfers as they spent £7 million on the former Real Betis player. However, the club was shocked to see Niels Kokmeijer, one of the most important players in the squad, walk out on the club to join Schalke in a deal worth £9 million. He wasn’t the only one to leave the club over the summer, with players like Axel Wingård and Paulo Miranda departing for new careers with different clubs. But in Redondo and Alex Notman, the club as a strike force to burst through the defences of just about any side in the Primera Liga.

Likely first eleven (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Clegg; Garrido; Redondo, Notman

In the past few seasons, Celta Vigo have threatened to burst into life in the Primera Liga, and many thought that the 2005/06 campaign would be theirs to display the talent they have in practically every position. But they were pipped to second spot by Cartagonova, and to make matters worse, they were consummately defeated by PSG in the European Champions’ League final. Nevertheless, they begin the new season as one of those clubs tipped to have a chance of knocking Barcelona off their perch as best in the land. Under the astute management of Señor Víctor Fernández, the club has played in Europe consistently and he has dealt well on the transfer market. Experienced players rather than youth dominate his latest transfers to the club, as Celta Vigo signed former Athletic Bilbao playmaker Julen Guerrero on a Bosman free transfer from Bayer Leverkusen, while Celta paid £1.9 million to bring Argentine midfielder Marcelo Gallardo from Valencia. Spanish defender, Carlos Marchena returns to the country of his birth after Celta paid Benfica £1.9 million to secure his services. Marchena hopes that the return to Spain will lift his profile with newly installed Spanish manager, Señor Flatline, but he will be working with two already established internationals in Quique Ãlvarez and Diego Ribera. The striker hit a career-best 32 goals in 57 appearances and along the way earned a call-up to Javier Clemente’s Spanish squad. Ably supported by creative midfielder Francisco Javier Casquero, in whom Señor Flatline has been a long unabashed fan of, he has plenty of support from midfield. Celta Vigo’s fans have enjoyed a good run of good times, but without many trophies to show for it, and some will feel that they must break through that final barrier in order to fully establish the club’s credentials amongst the elite in Spain and Europe. This talented, experienced squad certainly has the ability to take on and defeat most clubs in their path, but the true test is how solid the squad is over the full, gruelling league and European campaigns.

Likely first eleven (1-2-5-2): Asper; Tuzzio; Marchena, Wörns; Roger, Casquero, Morales, Guerrero, Gallardo; McCarthy, Diego Ribera

Deportivo de la Coruña has struggled in the past few seasons to stabilise bleeding coffers and they have finally appeared to turn around their parlous financial state into some resemblance of security off the pitch. However, the performance of the club on the field suffered - after finishing third back in 2003/04, the club’s fortunes dipped and they finished twelfth and tenth in the next two seasons. In the last season, Deportivo went through three managers, beginning the campaign with Miguel Casquero, switching to Portuguese legend, Eusébio, before finally hiring Paco Fortes. Three players stand out in Señor Fortes’ side - Spanish internationals Iván Amaya, who brings solidity to the defence, and Mista, who terrorises many defences with his penetrating runs and single-minded desire to score goals, and Swedish international Kim Källström, whose star is rising amongst the opinions of those who matter in Spanish football. If all three players, who are crucial to Deportivo’s chances of success, can maintain their fitness and form through the season and be ably supported by players like Joan Capdevila, Mario Melchiot, Boris and Diego Tristán, Deportivo have a good shot at breaking into the top ten of the league, and possibly even snaring a European place for next season. But the heady days of 1999/00 are a long way in the history of the club, and it doubtful the club could reach that pinnacle again for several seasons at least.

Likely first eleven (4-3-2-1): Jesús; Capdevila, Amaya, Boris, Melchiot; André Luiz, Makelele, Källström; Mista, Valerón; Diego Tristán

For a small club, Elche have done well to survive easily every season they have participated in the Primera Liga since they joined the competition back in 2002/03. However, they have been unable to attract the star players who can make a difference between mid-table security and challenging for European honours. While the club has advanced to the final in the Inter-Toto Cup, they have a mountain to climb to overturn a 2-0 deficit against Espanyol. The club relies heavily upon Pedro Adrián Guede and Nano to score the goals, while Mexican international Oscar Mascarro and Spanish international Iván Javier Cuadrado look after the defence. But the departure of Luis Enrique to Terrassa opens up a gaping hole in midfield, where his experience and influence was hugely important for Elche last season. Tight finances for Señor Asier de la Cruz required him to tighten the belt and spend frugally, so it is little wonder that most of the signings for the club have been Bosman free transfers, with only a paltry £75,000 spent on bringing Bernd Kree, a talented young midfielder, to the club from another club. But players like Uruguayan international defender Martín Rivas and former Brazilian international Vágner have joined the club so things could be looking up for Elche.

Likely first eleven (4-2-4): Dorronosoro; Mantilla, Mascorro, Cuadrado, Martín Rivas; Vágner, Ãlvarez; Roy González, Nano, Guede, Gronkjær

For too long, Espanyol has suffered in the giant shadow of its mighty cross-town rival Barcelona. After surprising the league two seasons ago and finishing a very credible sixth, the club slipped back slightly to end last campaign in eighth place. With Spanish international reserve keeper Esteban between the posts, Espanyol know that their defence needs to be spot on to protect the keeper as far as possible. Pablo Rotchen and club captain Mauricio Pochettino, now veterans in their trade, try to accomplish that task, while the creative output of Espanyol relies heavily upon Argentine midfielders Martín Possé and Carlos Quiñónez and rising Spanish star Francisco Javier Zubizarreta for inspiration for the club’s goals. Raúl Tamudo is the club’s leading target man, but he requires plenty of assistance from Sebastián Abreu and the aforementioned midfielders if he is to propel Espanyol back up the table. It is more likely that the club will again finish somewhere in the mid-table, and their only chance of playing in Europe is via the Inter-Toto Cup.

Likely first eleven (4-1-2-1-2): Esteban; Sietes, Pochettino, Rotchen, Soria; Sergio; Quiñónez, Zubizarreta; Possé; Abreu, Tamudo

Like many other clubs in the Primera Liga, Mallorca seems to be one of those clubs that takes one step forwards and two steps backwards. After finishing a credible fourth in 2000/01, the club has not seen such success again, with the club finishing a very poor 15th in the last campaign that saw Juande Ramos sacked and replaced by former Real Betis manager, Señor Fernando Vázquez. To be honest, the new manager does not have much to play with. He did entice Danish international defender Martin Smith to join the club over the summer on a Bosman free transfer, a signing that should strengthen the back line, but it is in attack where Mallorca needs the most work. Michel and Roberto Losada have been less than prolific in the last few campaigns, and it is goals that would propel Mallorca up the table - if only they could get them. At least the Bosman transfer of Peruvian international Nolberto Solano should assist in creating the opportunities to score goals, but the club desperately needs to find players capable of putting those chances away. Otherwise, it will again be a long season for followers of the island resort’s club.

Likely first eleven (4-4-2): Felip; Ãngel, Smith, César, Tamandi; Ramirez, Solano, Pulido, Santamaría; Losada, Michel

Numancia clung onto top flight football by the skin of their teeth after finishing sixteenth in their last campaign. Therefore, an influx of new players would be needed by the Numancia staff in order to lengthen the odds of them returning to the Segunda Liga after three seasons in the top flight. But the money isn’t exactly flowing in Soria, and less than £1 million has been spent in strengthening the squad. The club has turned to bringing in young players, the foremost of which is former Recreativo star Juan José Reyes, who at £325,000 and just 21 years old, could prove to be a bargain if his goalscoring and goal-creating potential can be fulfilled this season. But it is a tough job for the Numancia staff to get their players through another season in the top flight and at the moment, they are amongst the favourites to drop down a division at the end of the campaign. Much work in the defence will rest upon the shoulders of the capable Gustavo in the middle of the back line, while Spanish U-21 international Miguel Cuéllar should provide plenty of support. Óscar can be relied upon to score plenty of goals for the club, but Numancia must find him some support if they are to pull away from the dreaded relegation zone this season and commence work upon turning themselves into a force in Spanish football. At this moment, it’s hard to see them succeeding.

Likely first eleven (4-1-3-2): Núñez; Gustavo, Cuéllar, Juanma, Rubio; Turiel; Carlos Martins, Gorka, Acuña; Óscar, Dani Torres

Osasuna has been very active in the transfer market over the summer, bringing in some highly regarded names along the way, too to assist their climb up the Primera Liga ladder. The club’s home town may be better known for the running of the bulls, but Señor Miguel Ãngel Lotina believes that the addition of players like Harold Lozano and Vítor Lima from Valencia, veteran Portuguese defender Rui Jorge from Málaga, Óscar De Paula from Werder Bremen, Manuel Canabal from Deportivo, Vladimir Ivic from Elche and César from Real Madrid should go a long way to improving the overall squad he has at his disposal. While he has signed many players, the manager has also lost plenty of players, mostly on Bosman free transfers. Nevertheless, Osasuna fans are looking forward to the beginning of the new season, particularly seeing Brazilian striker Jurandir continuing his good partnership with Turkish international Oktay, while Vítor Lima should provide plenty of vitality down the left side of midfield. For once, Osasuna’s fortunes are looking up before the start of the season, and the fans may not have to endure another nailbiting campaign against relegation - and that would be something!

Likely first eleven (4-4-2): Ramón; Rui Jorge, Ibán Pérez, Cruchaga, César; Vítor Lima, Lozano, Trobbiani, Ivic; Jurandir, Oktay

Another side struggling to attract big-money transfers is Racing Santander who will again this season rely upon the trio of goalkeeper Nuno, midfielder Diego and striker Leyder Preciado to carry the club through the season. Señor Rafael Benítez has assembled a competent squad sprinkled with those three stars, but if Racing Santander are to improve upon their seventeenth-placed finish last season, the club needs to invest in an influx of new players, much like Osasuna, for too few are called upon to do too much. Unless the situation alters in the winter transfer period, once again Racing Santander will have to battle for their survival in the Primera Liga a little too close to the bone.

Likely first eleven (4-4-2): Nuno; Neru, Christian Díaz, Urbano, Javi Prats; Moreno, Diego, Husaín, Baraja; Preciado, Rushfeldt

How the mighty have fallen! The sale of their once favourite son, Raúl, to European champion Paris-Saint-Germain, stunned the people of Madrid and brought out the die-hard fans onto the streets in protest against the decision of Señor César García García, the newly appointed manager of Real Madrid. It certainly wasn’t the best way for the new boy to endear himself to the legions of fans of the most successful club in Europe. But the club certainly has talent to burn, with Italian international Francesco Totti, Brazilian internationals Alex and Ronaldinho, and Uruguayan international Andrés Olivera all capable of taking over Raúl’s role - at least on paper. But in truth it has been several seasons since Real Madrid was a happy, contented side and with the new manager bringing in the new broom, the other clubs in the Primera Liga may have to watch out for the giant in white awakening from its slumber. Perhaps the manager feels he has a ready-made replacement for the golden boy of Spanish football in the Argentine international Pablo Aimar, who cost Real Madrid £15 million to sign from Argentine club River Plate in the summer. The 27 year old has long been the shining light for Argentine football, but now he has the opportunity to prove himself in the most intimidating environment imaginable - the Santiago Bernabéu stadium in Madrid.

Likely first eleven (4-1-3-1-1): Casillas; Roberto Carlos, Rubio, Grillito, Ettien; Baronio; Alex, Stankovic, Aimar; Totti; Morientes

Finishing eleventh in the league showed that Real Sociedad had learned something from the season before when they only just managed to avoid going straight back down to the Segunda Liga. The club was very miserly in the summer, looking only to add Bosman free transfers to their squad. So they added experience in former Yugoslav international defender Goran Djorovic, firepower in Felipe, and creativity in Angolan international Zé Tó. Nevertheless, this would only seem to indicate that Real Sociedad should not expect to improve much beyond their eleventh-placed finish in the last campaign, with plenty resting upon the backs of Mikel Aranburu, former Brazilian international Rodrigo and Lithuanian international striker Edgaras Jankauskas.

Likely first eleven (4-1-3-1-1): Gálvez; Djorovic, Antía, Corino, López Rekarte; Nadj; Cachorro, Aranburu, Da Silva; Rodrigo; Jankauskas

Like Osasuna, Sporting Gijón has been exceedingly busy on the transfer market, bringing in many players to strengthen their case for success both domestically and in Europe. Sporting has been up there amongst the elites in Spanish football in the past few seasons, without necessarily having the success to show for their endeavours. But many Sporting fans believe that this season could finally be theirs, particularly with the signing of experienced Spanish defender Iván Campo from Real Betis on a free transfer. He and Japanese international Yuji Nakazawa could form the backbone of a new defence for Sporting and help stabilise some issues that the Sporting club has faced in the past few seasons. However, little has been done to strengthen the club’s goalscoring potential, with much in the hands of Brazilian Da Silva and Rubén. Again, Sporting will threaten to dominate proceedings against many of the lesser clubs in the top flight, but their real test will come against the comparable and the better clubs. If Sporting can conquer those tests, then they will go a long way to getting some due reward for their hard work of the last few seasons.

Likely first eleven (1-2-5-2): Gustafsson; Sergio, Iván Campo, Nakazawa; Rivarola, Farinós, Edgar, Toñin, Babangida; Rubén, Da Silva

Valencia have also been busy on the transfer market, splashing plenty of cash as they search for that elusive formula for domestic success. With players like Emerson, Pedro Munitis and Jonathan signing for the club in multi-million pound deals, the fans of Valencia will expect the club to deliver on the pitch practically immediately. With the partnership of Palermo and Saviola expected to score the goals, Señor Guus Hiddink has assembled one of the finest midfields in all of Europe to provide them with the ammunition to do the job demanded. Players like Vicente, Munitis, Angulo, Stankovic, Fiore and Hugo Leal are all jockeying for position in the preferred formation of Hiddink, and with such formidable resources at his disposal, it is little wonder that Valencia have a certain favouritism about them. Olof Mellberg and Matías Donnet dominate the Valencia defence and together, as a unit, Valencia may well find themselves with their best chance of taking the title come next year.

Likely first eleven (3-5-2): Jonathan; Donnet, Mendieta, Mellberg; Stankovic, Munitis, Fiore, Hugo Leal, Angulo; Vicente, Saviola

Promoted as the champion of the Segunda Liga, Real Vallodolid have realised very early that the chances of surviving the jump into the top flight are enhanced by investing heavily in players, particularly with Primera Liga experience. Therefore, the club has spent the money wisely in buying players for practically every position on the field. Former Cartagonova defender Axel Wingård has an opportunity to prove himself worthy of Primera Liga football, while Delfim, and strikers Francisco Guerrero and Cristian Castillo are regarded as crucial to Vallodolid’s chances of surviving their first season back in the top flight after spending two seasons in the Segunda Liga.

Likely first eleven (4-1-2-1-2): César; Marcos, Leo Ramos, Wingård, Dani Ruiz; Delfim; Varela, Del Campo; Godvalt; Castillo, Guerrero

Villarreal have one of the best players in the world in their team - Norwegian international Kristian Tanem, who was an absolute star in the recently concluded World Cup. But apart from Spanish international goalkeeper Javier López Vallejo and Argentine forward Walter Gaitán, the club still does not have sufficient quality through every position to really make themselves a force in Spanish football. Until the deficiencies in the squad are addressed, scrambling for anything above mid-table could be difficult, despite the fact that the club defied the pundits to finish fourth last season.

Likely first eleven: López Vallejo; Unai, Jonay, Medina; Agostinho, Jesuli, Tanem, Artur, Callejas; Gaitán, Víctor

Fantastic as ever Dixie icon_smile.gif.

May I wish you lots of luck in the next campaign, Barca are just waiting to be caught and Europe needs to be afraid.... icon_biggrin.gif

Just one question, do you have a reserve squad in the Lower Leagues to blood your youngsters because I don't think I have ever seen one mentioned??

Archived