How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jordaowba:

Dixie

Great story, But what youngsters have you had out of your Acadamy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jordaowba!

As regards the academy production line, unfortunately Cartagonova's training facilities are regarded as "awful", mainly because the board won't spend a penny upgrading any facility (training, stadium, anything). So that means that home-grown talent is few and far between. This season produced Ismael Mendez, but he isn't very good, especially in his physical stature, while Francisco Alvarez who went to Elche because he didn't want to stay here, is a competent defensive midfielder, but nothing to set the world on fire and certainly not better than Gaviao. There were a couple of other youngsters back in the dim, dark days of Segunda Liga, but I didn't sign them to professional terms and they're struggling in D2B, as far as I know.

Cheers,

Dixie

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dixie, this is still pretty good!

Your loyalty to this club is admirable. Will you ever go to the real Cartagena to see a "real life" match?

Keep writing and I'll keep smiling. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B.E.Gaity:

Hey Dixie, this is still pretty good!

Your loyalty to this club is admirable. Will you ever go to the real Cartagena to see a "real life" match?

Keep writing and I'll keep smiling. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, B.E. Gaity! icon_smile.gif I haven't seen you around here for a while! What's happened?

I would love to go to Cartagena to see a real game, and perhaps I'll buy a shirt, too! icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Dixie

The game must continue, no matter what!

16th of December 2006

“…Unhappy striker Sabino is expected to finalise a move to the capital to join Real Madrid for an estimated fee of £3 million, after Señor Dixie Flatline announced this morning that he had agreed a fee with Real Madrid. Sabino has been unhappy with the managerial hierarchy at Cartagonova since the beginning of the season, and has long sought a way out of the club after he felt that Señor Flatline had stalled his career when he wanted to join either Valencia or Real Madrid. It has long been evident that he would not play for Cartagonova again, and with the club spending £21 million on new players already this season, it appears that the board has instructed the manager to find a new influx of cash before the spending spree can continue. In other transfer news involving Cartagonova, Spurs’ up-and-coming Swedish star Richard Spong has snubbed Cartagonova’s offer of a Bosman free transfer in favour of an immediate move to Scunthorpe for £1.5 million. Señor Dixie Flatline admitted his disappointment in missing out on the promising centre-half, but was philosophical in admitting defeat. Also, Cartagonova missed out on signing future Irish international Colin Healy, who decided to join Manchester City on a free transfer at the end of the season rather than try his luck in Spain.â€

17th of December 2006

“… As Sabino officially departed Cartagonova to join Real Madrid, news broke in Seville this morning that Real Betis has offered Señor Flatline £5.75 million for experienced left winger Michel. The Cartagonova manager has apparently entered into negotiations with Real Betis, with a price of £7.5 million being mooted. We’ll keep you updated in this breaking story…â€

I think that if we could obtain £7.5 million for Michel, then that’s good business well done, considering that he is over the age of 30 and is becoming a less influential player on our success, although he does command a regular starting spot. I’m sure that his fans would be very disappointed to hear the news, but I have to do what’s right by the club, and in my judgment I think this is the best move for the club.

Sabino leaves without fanfare and with a sigh of relief from the board, who have been on my neck to dump the wayward striker for the entire season so far: Sabino (28 y/o, ESP, S C): 10(9) apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.42

Primera Liga - Game 14: Cartagonova v Real Sociedad

Against a mid-table team, we should do fairly well in front of our supportive home fans, but we’re sat back on our heels when the impressive Jaime Garrido is forced from the field on 15 minutes with a thigh strain. It necessitates the introduction of a crowd favourite - Fernando Morán takes to the field to the delighted applause of the crowd, and he responds by opening the scoring a minute later, capping off a great team move with a simple header above the Real Sociedad keeper. We then take a studied approach to the remainder of the half, but on 37 minutes Alex Notman picks up Clegg’s neat through-ball and hits a drive past César Gálvez. But on the stroke of half-time, I’m annoyed to see Real Sociedad pull a goal back through the goal machine Joseba Llorente, who uses his powerful physique to good effect in heading home Cachorro’s cross.

So I’m not as happy as I could be at the break, particularly with Kew Jaliens who had a shocking first half and was mainly responsible for the goal going in from Llorente. I drag him off and replace him with debutant David Oliva at right back. Then I’m very angry when Carl Laurie picks up his second yellow card of the game with 26 minutes to play and is sent off. icon_mad.gif Then another controversial moment hits the game when on 72 minutes the referee blows for a penalty to Cartagonova when the ball is already steaming towards our goal after Real Sociedad seemingly successfully cleared a George Clegg corner. The Sociedad players surround the referee, protesting furiously, but of course to no avail, and Gavião is untouched by the controversy, coolly converting past Gálvez. After we absorb some more Real Sociedad pressure, we score a fourth goal through Alex Notman on 87 minutes who swerves a shot delicately into the top corner of the Real Sociedad net.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Gershon, Hakala, Jaliens (Oliva 46); Garrido (Morán 15), Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Hernández (Livermore 64), Notman.

Real Sociedad (4-5-1): César Gálvez; Djorovic, Guerrero, Corino, López Rekarte; Rodrigo ©, Nadj (Taiwo 34), Da Silva, Cachorro, Aranburu; Llorente.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Real Sociedad

MoM - Alex Notman

Fortunately, Jaime Garrido’s injury is not serious and he will only miss a week. But that does mean he will not take the trip to Valencia as we look to defend our newfound status as the top dog team in Spain. Our recent glut of goals in the past couple of weeks (four against Real Sociedad, five against Numancia and three against Mallorca) see us overtake Celta Vigo on goal difference at the top of the ladder.

Carl Laurie will miss the next match against Valencia, and for his indiscretion I give him an official warning. His fellow culprit, Kew Jaliens, is also chewed out for letting down the team in the first half. Both accept their warnings and look to get on with their training regimes.

Alex Notman is in the team of the week, while Iván Vidal is the keeper on the bench.

We set another record with this victory - it is our twelfth consecutive victory going back from 25th of October. This eclipses the record of eleven straight wins set last season.

19th of December 2006

Real Betis give up on Michel, but then switch their attentions to Gavião, offering me £3.3 million for the Brazilian midfielder. I reject this bid as not being worth the paper it’s written on.

20th of December 2006

Real Betis seem determined to sign one of my players. This morning, they offer me a tidy sum of £5 million for Kenneth Gustavsson. I respond by demanding £5.5 million for the Swede. I’m not sure, but a deal could be close here.

20th of December 2006

Primera Liga - Game 15: Valencia v Cartagonova

“… Welcome to La Mestalla here in Valencia where we will witness a classic game between Valencia and Cartagonova. Valencia currently trails the league leader by six points and no doubt their manager, Señor Guus Hiddink views this game as a real six pointer. He can pick from a star-studded squad, with Javier Saviola and Vicente looking set to take up the attack, with support from the bench from Argentine veteran Martín Palermo, while Stefano Fiore and Hugo Leal provide the attacking impetus from midfield. It is a particularly stout looking three-man defence that Señor Hiddink can put on the field. Former Spanish international Gaizka Mendieta, the captain of Valencia, is partnered by Swedish international Olof Mellberg and Argentine international Matías Donnet. However, Valencia will miss their inspirational goalkeeper Jonathan, who was sent off in Valencia’s last league game and begins a three-match ban with this crunch game.â€

“On the other side of the ledger, Cartagonova boss Señor Dixie Flatline does not have a full squad available to choose from. Several key first team choices are unavailable to him. José María Lacruz, so long the first choice left back, is only just beginning to train again after tearing a groin muscle more than a month ago. Michel is gingerly resuming training again after he strained his knee ligaments a fortnight ago. Jaime Garrido, the very promising Spanish international, misses this game with a thigh strain. Carl Laurie, who normally deputises for Lacruz in his absence, is suspended for this game. But despite all that, Cartagonova boast one of the most fearsome attacks in the Primera Liga. With Alex Notman a damaging, bruising forward blessed with skill and poise, Cartagonova have a potential matchwinner banging in goals, week-in and week-out. To date, Señor Flatline has preferred to partner him with rising star, Juan Hernández, who many predict will one day wear the maroon of his country. George Clegg has been marvellous for Cartagonova this season in midfield, while many clubs are vying to purchase Gavião for his inspirational work in the middle of the park.â€

“No doubt, this will be one of the biggest games of the season. Valencia have history on their side, however, for this clash. The clubs have played each other seven times - once in the Copa del Rey back in 2003, and six times in the league. Cartagonova has only won one of those games - the Copa del Rey tie, and only that after extra time - while Valencia has won it twice. The clubs have drawn four times, and with 33 goals scored by both sides, it promises to be an entertaining affair. So we take you now to our match commentators, Andy Gray, and first, Martin Tyler.â€

“Thank you, David, for that introduction. It’s a wet, cool night here in La Mestalla, one of Spain’s home stadia. Unlike England, Spain does not have a purpose-built stadium to host its games in, preferring instead to take the games around the country. So Señor Flatline is used to these surroundings, having coached Spain in a Euro 2008 qualifier earlier in the season. But, I dare say, that this is a lot tougher than that game, wouldn’t you agree, Andy?â€

“Yes, I would, Martin. The conditions do not suit either club’s style of play, but you would have to say that with more than 55,000 people on your side, you’d have to lean towards Valencia to take the points tonight. That being said, however, Cartagonova are on a very hot streak. They are the only club in Spain to have not lost a game so far this season, and it is almost January, so that is a superb performance. Looking back over the last few seasons, the club that has performed as well as that has been Barcelona, and we all know what they have won come the end of the season when the trophies are handed out. Not to mention their unbeaten streak, but they have also strung together eight victories in a row. So it’s fair to say that Cartagonova is a side brimming with confidence, Martin.â€

“Do you think the injuries to key players, like Lacruz, Michel and Garrido, will hamper Cartagonova in any way?â€

“Well, I defy any club to take out three of its better players and see how they go, but Cartagonova have not had a truly fit squad to pick from all season, and yet they are on top of the ladder with a game in hand, and an unbeaten record to boot.â€

“Alex Notman is a superstar in the making, isn’t he, Andy?â€

“You only have to look at his record since joining Cartagonova, Martin, to make that assessment of the Scotsman. Just looking at the lad tells you just how great a footballer he can be if he has the mental attitude to go all the way. And from what I can tell from the coaches at Cartagonova, they are immensely pleased with the huge strides the lad has made since joining from VfB Stuttgart last year. His problems in Germany were well-documented and it’s great to see him settle in with a club and now he is their shining light up front. If Valencia can strangle the supply to the Scotsman, they will go a long way to winning this game, I’m sure, because Notman only needs that one chance to score a goal, he’s that clinical. Not to mention that he’s creative enough to set up goals for other players - Hernández has been the main beneficiary of that this season, with Señor Flatline preferring to leave Redondo on the bench for the last few months.â€

“Valencia, on the other hand, have a very tight defence. They have conceded the fewest goals in La Liga so far this season, and their strikers haven’t been too bad, have they, Andy?â€

“Well, Martin, they have a mentally and physically strong team. Vicente now has 50 international caps to his name, and is incredibly important to the club. He should return either in midfield or up-front. Javier Saviola is now beginning to live up to his immense reputation since moving to Valencia from River Plate a couple of seasons ago, although his goal production is down slightly this season. Despite being 33 years old, Martín Palermo remains as productive as ever, and I wouldn’t mind him starting this evening. His strength and experience poses plenty of problems to any defence. But you would have to say that Valencia’s strength lies in its defence. Donnet, Mendieta and Mellberg are three of the best centre-halves to play the game in Spain for the last ten years, and as a combination, they are very difficult to beat. But Valencia will miss their keeper, Jonathan, and you’d have to say that they are weakened by his absence from the team, Martin.â€

“Well, we can see the referee and his assistants out on the pitch, preparing to determine which club should start the game. So, let’s take you through the team line-ups before we kick off in this incredibly important game. First, to Valencia, and we can see that Señor Guus Hiddink has lined up his squad in the familiar style, but has sprung a few surprises in his first eleven. Sergio indeed replaces Jonathan as the keeper. Borja, Mendieta and Donnet are the back three, with Mellberg sitting on the bench. Stankovic and 32 year old veteran Guly provide the width, with Angulo missing out this evening. Juric, Emerson and Fiore are the central midfielders, while Vicente is restored to the first eleven to partner Saviola.â€

“On the other hand, Señor Dixie Flatline has adopted his familiar 4-1-2-1-2 formation, with Iván Vidal, the captain and keeper, being protected by a flat-back four of Livermore, Gershon, Hakala, and Ballesteros. That means there is no place for the new boys, David Oliva and Djibril Diawara, who both sit on the bench this evening. Gavião patrols the centre of midfield, while Lua-Lua and Clegg sit on the wings. Fernando Morán supports the strike partnership of Juan Hernández and Notman.â€

“So, everything is set to start. The referee blows his whistle, and we’re under way…â€

Well, after that build-up, don’t be surprised if the actual game is a bit of a dud! icon_smile.gif We start badly when Juan Hernández is forced from the field after just 2 minutes with what turns out to be a twisted ankle. Notman should have put us ahead a moment later when he hits Morán’s pass against the cross-bar. Then Morán smashes a drive towards goal, but Sergio manages to hold onto the shot and deny us a lead. Then Emerson decides he would give us a hand by pushing Gershon away right in the chest. Ignoring the protestations of his teammates and supporters, the referee courageously pulls out a red card and the Brazilian midfielder disappears down the race for an early shower and no doubt an earful from his manager. But we decide to put up the shutters and concentrate on holding out Valencia for some reason for the rest of the half.

I question the team’s tactics at the break. It’s all fair and good to concentrate on defending and squeezing the life out of our opponents, but the aim of the game is to score goals to win the game. We’re not going to do that without attacking Valencia and taking a few risks, which is something we normally do every game. Then a comical piece of defending early in the second half sees my heart leap into my mouth when Gershon needlessly gives away a corner and Vidál is forced to punch Stankovic’s corner away wildly. It could have gone anywhere, but somehow we survive the little scare and finally we put some pressure on our opponents. Clegg skips past the static Mendieta on 56 minutes to try his luck, but Sergio fists the shot away, while on 63 minutes, Lua-Lua has a go, only for the same result.

I’m forced into a second substitution on 68 minutes when Gavião signals for urgent treatment by the sideline, and the physios decide that he can’t continue and somebody ought to replace him. The man to do that is the new boy Diawara. Andrés Mendoza, playing a surprise game, finds Redondo with a raking pass, and the striker nods it down for Clegg to play the one-two with him. Redondo then finds Notman, who hits it first-time from 45 yards past Sergio! icon_biggrin.gif What a way to open the scoring! icon_smile.gif Valencia begin to truly struggle and the icing is on the cake when Diawara caps his debut with his first goal for the club, courtesy to a good pass from Clegg which opened up the Valencia defence. In the end, a comfortable 2-0 victory to us with Valencia never looking in the hunt, and our unbeaten run continues, against the odds! icon_biggrin.gif

Valencia (3-5-2): Sergio; Borja, Mendieta ©, Donnet; Stankovic (Munitis 68), Juric, Emerson, Fiore (Hugo Leal 54), Guly; Vicente, Saviola (Angulo 61).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidál ©; Livermore, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião (Diawara 68); Lua-Lua, Clegg; Morán (Mendoza 61); Hernández (Redondo 2), Notman.

Final score: Valencia 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Borja

Thanks to the win, we move three points clear at the top of the ladder. From 15 games, we’ve scored 39 points from 12 wins and 3 draws, while Celta Vigo has 36 points from 15 games. But Barcelona is beginning to motor menacingly upon the top three, as a 5-0 thrashing of Athletic Bilbao in Bilbao puts them into fourth place. icon_eek.gif See, I told you it was too early to write off the champion!

I read with interest and increasing mirth that former Real Madrid manager, Mr Vicente del Bosque, has been appointed the manager of Manchester City, with just one goal in mind - save the blue side of Manchester from relegation.

Our lead over Celta Vigo is slashed to a point as Celta defeat Elche 3-2 in Vigo. Real Madrid are three points behind us after they defeat Racing Santander 2-0 on the road.

The draw ends our winning streak of nine games, stretching back to 22 October 2006 when we drew 3-3 with Real Madrid. But we still haven’t been beaten in 16 games and on the last day of 2006, we play Atlético Madrid. We’ve played our next opponent six times stretching back to 2001, and we have the slight edge with two victories from those six games.

“… There is more transfer news from Cartagonova with club manager, Señor Dixie Flatline announcing after his club’s 2-2 draw with Espanyol in Barcelona, that he has successfully negotiated the Bosman free transfer of Australian international central defender Trent McClenahan. The stylish and powerful defender has spent the last four seasons with Parma, and had forced his way into the first eleven at the strong Italian club in the last two seasons. However, patient negotiations from Cartagonova representatives, including Señor Flatline, apparently sealed the deal, with McClenahan’s agent advising his client that he could seek better terms away from Parma. The defender began his career with Sydney Olympic in Australia’s National Soccer League, before he moved as an 18 year old to Parma. He earned his first cap for his country against South Africa at the age of 19, but the typical club-versus-country argument has meant he has only picked up two further caps. Nonetheless, many football experts predict big things for the young Australian, with some in Italy comparing him even to the great AC Milan defender Franco Baresi…â€

Well, I’m shocked that I pulled off this transfer. I never really thought I had a chance at this boy, but he has it all in spades. Strength, stamina, passing, positional sense, dribbling, anticipation, heading, marking - he is as close to a complete centre half as I’ve ever seen in the time I’ve managed a football club. If he was a Spaniard, he would already be playing for Spain, but he is an Australian and therefore a foreigner for the rules of the Spanish FA. Still, I can’t wait to see him wear the black-and-white of Cartagonova in the not-too-distant.

Today’s match sees Fernando Morán overtake Michel as the most experienced Cartagonova player in the league, as it marks his 156th appearance in the Spanish leagues.

27th of December 2006

“… Unsettled French defender Philippe Mexès is likely to return to France after Cartagonova and Toulouse agreed terms for the cultured defender. Mexès has struggled to adjust to the culture and tempo of Spanish football since he joined from Queens Park Rangers in the summer on a Bosman free transfer, and it is believed by the club’s officials that it would be best for both parties if he was to leave to find more appropriate working conditions. Neither club would release the terms of the agreement, but it is believed that the purchase will cost Toulouse in the vicinity of £2.5 million…â€

“In the meantime, Señor Dixie Flatline has announced that defenders Iulian Filipescu and Kenneth Gustavsson are now transfer-listed by Cartagonova. Filipescu is expected to fetch £650,000, while Gustavsson is officially rated at £1.3 million. Japanese clubs Antlers and Jubilo are rumoured to be interested in Filipescu, who has 50 caps for Romania, while Swedish international Gustavsson may be weighing a choice between France, with Metz, or Germany, with Hannover 96 or Ulm. Señor Dixie Flatline said that while he valued the contributions made by both Filipescu and Gustavsson, he decided that it is in the interests of the club if the squad is trimmed slightly.â€

“But while Filipescu and Gustavsson are contemplating their futures away from Cartagonova, midfielder and vice-captain Gavião has signed a new three year deal that will be worth £3 million to the Brazilian. Señor Dixie Flatline was pleased to see Gavião sign a new contract as he hopes that it will deter the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Deportivo La Coruña and Celta Vigo from making offers for the Brazilian. Señor Flatline declared that the Brazilian was unavailable at any price, while Gavião himself said that he was very happy to keep playing for Cartagonova.â€

28th of December 2006

Philippe Mexès does me the courtesy of informing me of his decision before he announces it to the media. He will return to France by joining Toulouse for £2.5 million. I’m sorry to see him go, really, because he could have been a great defender for the club, but he was never happy as soon as he set foot in the town, so he would never have lived up to his potential here. It’s better for him to move on, and I’m not going to stand in his way if the price is right, and here, I think it is: Philippe Mexès (24 y/o, FRA, SW/D C): 0(1) app, av. rating: 6.00

“Cartagonova’s strengthening of the squad via Bosman free transfers will continue unabated as Villarreal star, Norwegian international, Kristian Tanem will join the club on a Bosman free transfer in the summer of 2007. After securing the services of Trent McClenahan yesterday via the same method, Señor Dixie Flatline was extremely excited to sign a player who shot to prominence at World Cup 2006 in Germany, where he was third in the Golden Boot and was named amongst the first eleven in the Dream Team. After joining Villarreal for just £210,000 back in 2001/02, Tanem has always played an important role in Villarreal, and his ability to play in several positions has always increased his value. But with Villarreal unable to lift itself out of the mid-table, no doubt the opportunity of playing amongst Europe’s elite with a club that is quickly building itself as a force in Spanish football appealed to the Norwegian, who has already accumulated 14 international caps with 7 goals in his career.â€

I thought that I would never land this player. Like McClenahan, he is almost the complete player, and given that he is only 23 years old, I think that he will come into his own during his spell at Cartagonova. Suddenly, I can’t wait until summer! icon_biggrin.gif

29th of December 2006

“…Real Betis has apparently offered Cartagonova £1.5 million for transfer-listed Kenneth Gustavsson. There has been no word from club officials, but it appears that the offer for the Swede has been accepted.â€

“In the meantime, two weeks after spending £39 million on Italian international Matteo Brighi, Barcelona has spent another £20 million on Argentine international striker Cristian Bardaro, who will be expected to join Patrick Kluivert up front and supply more goals.â€

30th of December 2006

“… Mexican club, Promotora Deportiva de Guadalajara has offered Cartagonova £650,000 for Romanian international defender Iulian Filipescu. This offer has been accepted.â€

We drop back to second place this afternoon for at least 24 hours as Celta Vigo beat Athletic Bilbao 2-1 on the road.

Kenneth Gustavsson agrees terms with Real Betis, so he will be going, probably before tomorrow’s match with Atlético Madrid: Kenneth Gustavsson (24 y/o, SWE 12 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C): 21(6) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.56

Iulian Filipescu also agrees terms with his suitor, so we will gather £650,000 from the sale of the Romanian to Chivas, the Mexican club: Iulian Filipescu (32 y/o, ROM 50 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C): 67(14) apps, 10 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.73

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Idiot!

Just pretend you read this above the last couple of posts...

22nd of December 2006

Real Madrid and Espanyol make offers of £3.9 million for Gavião. In the meantime, Real Betis decide, quite unreasonably in my opinion, that my terms for Gustavsson are too much for them, so they pull out of that deal. Instead, they splash out £9.25 million on winger Mario from Deportivo.

25th of December 2006

Merry Christmas to you all! icon_biggrin.gif

Real Madrid and Schalke 04 try to make my Christmas a merrier one by offering me £4.7 million for Gavião. But this is becoming ridiculous. I’m not going to sell him to anybody! icon_mad.gif

Toulouse offers me £1.4 million for the unsettled Philippe Mexès. I want something more like £2.5 million for the defender, however, because I think he could be a good player for the club if he can settle in, and if I’m going to sell him, I should obtain a good price for him.

26th of December 2006

I wake up in a cold sweat when Schalke offers me £5 million for Gavião. Fortunately, however, the money is to be paid over 18 months, which means that I can again use that loophole in Spanish law that means that the minimum release clause is not triggered in Gavião’s contract. But I decide that now is the right time to offer the Brazilian a better contract.

Primera Liga - Game 16: Espanyol v Cartagonova

Our second of the double-header away trip takes us to Barcelona and the lesser of the two Catalan clubs. Espanyol enjoyed a couple of good seasons in the past, but so far this season they are mired as usual in the mid-table. Should be a doddle for the boys, but our ongoing injury crisis (I don’t think I’ve ever been able to put out a first eleven so far this season) means that we could be tripped up. But when Diawara, filling in for the injured Gavião, tees up Gershon for a rare goal on 35 minutes and then Fernando Morán thunders a volley from Clegg’s cross four minutes later, I think we’re cooking with gas.

But unlike Valencia, Espanyol are willing to take a few risks to get back in the game, and with my defence, they are always a chance to drag themselves back into the game. So it happens on 51 minutes when Sergio takes possession of Hakala’s headed clearance and finds Soldevilla motoring into the penalty box. The midfielder cunningly flicks the ball out to Martín Possé, and the Argentine completes the formality. icon_frown.gif I try to restore the defence by removing the poor Livermore and replace him with David Oliva, who immediately makes an impact by crunching a tackle on an Espanyol forward, and then almost scores his first goal for the club only to see Estaban save it, and also Diawara ruled offside. Redondo is in the side for the injured Juan Hernández, and if he had been playing more regularly he would have probably slotted the opportunity that comes his way on 71 minutes, but his volley clears the bar by a good foot or so. icon_frown.gif The striker then sets up Lua-Lua, but the Congan winger’s shot is marvellously saved by Esteban and it marks the turning point in the game. With ten minutes to play, Iván Vidal’s poor clearance is picked off by Soldevilla who finds Sergio with a neat pass. Sergio floats in the cross teasingly for Abreu to head past the flailing Vidál and our win streak is over. icon_mad.gif

Espanyol (1-2-5-2): Esteban; Pochettino ©; Juanma, Soria; Quiñónez, Sergio, Soldevilla, Peloca (Jaime 70), Cuevas (Martín Possé 18); Zubizarreta, Óscar (Abreu 52).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore (Oliva 54), Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Diawara; Lua-Lua, Clegg; Morán; Redondo (Jensen 87), Notman.

Final score: Espanyol 2:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Shimon Gershon

It's been a while, I know, but it's time to return to Cartagonova!

31st of December 2006

Primera Liga - Game 17: Cartagonova v Atlético Madrid

It takes us five minutes to hit our straps as Notman nods down the ball for the advantage of Redondo, but the swerving drive from the cult hero is well-saved by the Madrid keeper, Iván Pinel. But then Atlético Madrid do a good holding job on our midfielders and strikers and it isn’t until the 29th minute before we finally do something - Morán dribbles past Atlético Madrid striker Tevenet and then lashes a drive at Pinel, but the keeper manages to knock it down and Quique completes the clearance. But Calleja’s long pass is picked off by Lua-Lua, and the winger seeks out Diawara, who immediately gives the ball to Hakala. The Finn launches a ball ripe for Notman to head towards goal, and the Scot puts it perfectly past Pinel for the opening goal of the game! icon_smile.gif Three minutes later, and we’re celebrating again as Oliva finds Redondo, and the striker does the rest, nutmegging Ricardo Verón and launching a howitzer that screams past Pinel into the top corner of the Atlético net! icon_biggrin.gif Tevenet causes me a few problems on 38 minutes when he effectively ghosts between my defenders, but Vidal has his wits about him and does well to push aside his strike upon goal for an ineffective corner. Morán holds his head in his hands on the stroke of half-time as he wastes excellent play by Redondo by putting his drive well wide of the mark.

We’re put under pressure early in the second half when Diawara’s careless free kick gives Quique, the former Real Betis man, the opportunity to test Vidal from the set piece, but the keeper handles it well and Hakala nicks the ball from the feet of Córcoles before the winger can trouble Vidal. A few minutes later, Vidal preserves our 2-0 lead when Calleja effortlessly moves past Hakala, but the keeper pulls off a tremendous save. That spells the end of Atlético’s resistance as on 62 minutes, Notman takes Redondo’s pass in his stride before driving home his second goal of the game from the edge of the penalty box. That is followed up eleven minutes later by Redondo’s second goal of the game, capping his excellent return to the first team with a swerving rocket that has all the hallmarks of a striker confident in his own ability to score goals. In the end, a satisfying way to end the game and the year with us on top once more of La Liga.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Oliva, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Lua-Lua, Diawara, Clegg; Morán; Redondo, Notman.

Atlético Madrid (4-4-2): Pinel; Santis, Garitano, Santi ©, Donnet; Comoranes, Quique, Verón, Córcoles; Calleja, Tevenet (Djaló 85).

Final score: Cartagonova 4:0 Atlético Madrid

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

I caution the boys to curb their celebrating of the new year tonight, and they heed my advice, preferring to kick off their celebrations quietly with a team dinner, before they adjourn to the local church for their Roman Catholic devotions. A few fireworks are lit off in the backyard of one of the player’s estates as we enjoy a barbeque and a few drinks. But nothing too extravagant, as I’ve not yet decided how I will approach Wednesday’s fixture against Málaga that marks our entrance into this season’s Copa del Rey.

2nd of January 2007

“… There is news from Cartagonova this morning that Hércules has offered 20 year old defender Juan Carlos Castro a contract to join the Segunda Liga club from next season. Castro is inside the last six months of his contract with the Primera Liga leader, but has so far refused to consider any offer to extend his contract from the Cartagonova board. Señor Dixie Flatline is reportedly anxious to finalise a deal with Castro, but it is believed that the player’s agent is advising him to look elsewhere, particularly with the arrival of McClenahan slated in the summer. The player joined Cartagonova back in 2003/04 from Jaén for £60,000, but is yet to make his debut in a competitive fixture for the club as he has seen Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Gershon and Hakala all command the central defence posts in Señor Flatline’s formations.â€

I see on the newswires from Italy that AC Milan have sold Uruguayan international striker Uriel Pérez to Roma for £18.75 million, then used the proceeds of that sale to complete the purchase of Brazilian international midfielder Alex from Real Madrid for £24 million. But just when you thought that it was safe to take on Real Madrid, I realise that they still enjoy the services of Andrés Olivera, Pablo Aimar and Ronaldinho in their creative midfielder role. icon_frown.gif

“… Cartagonova manager Señor Dixie Flatline is set to unveil Argentine international striker Ariel Carreño this evening as his latest purchase. He has been acquired to replace Sabino, who was sold to Real Madrid a fortnight ago. The striker, who currently plies his trade with Español, made his competitive debut for Argentina as a substitute in Argentina’s 3-2 win over Ghana. He is blessed with pace and natural striking ability, and knows how to dribble his way through defences, while he is handy at set-pieces…â€

3rd of January 2007

“… Hard on the heels of the news that Ariel Carreño has joined Cartagonova with immediate effect is the announcement that Nigerian international striker Shola Ameobi will follow in the footsteps of former teammate Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua and join Cartagonova on a Bosman free transfer from next season. The 25 year old striker has struggled to cement a regular spot in Kenny Dalglish’s first eleven, and fancies his chances of making it big on the continent, particularly at a successful club like Cartagonova.â€

Extra-time is not much better for my strikers as Carreño hits the bar 7 minutes in. Garrido’s shot proceeds to clear the bar, while Redondo finds the keeper in top form and then hits the side netting from the resulting corner. Málaga are continually indebted to their keeper for keeping them in the game as we dominate completely extra time, but no matter how hard we try, we can’t get that vital fourth goal to kill off our opponent. Carreño has a magnificent debut for us, scoring twice, but even with 13 shots at goal, including 7 on target, Roberto does enough time and again to deny him a debut hat-trick. It’s incredibly frustrating as we have to decide this one on penalties.

Vidal wins the **** and elects Cartagonova to take the first penalty. Redondo hits his correctly and we take a 1-0 lead. Vidal then saves Rousel’s attempt, but Carreño wastes our chance to go 2-0 ahead when his penalty is saved by Roberto. Gomez gives Vidal no chance with his well-placed penalty, while Garrido keeps us in the game with an excellent spot-kick. Jorge Vega, Lua-Lua and Ismael all score for their respective teams. But when Gershon blazes his penalty over the bar, Serrizuela has the chance to win it for his club, but Vidal does brilliantly to parry his shot away. Ballesteros keeps us in the game when he blasts home truly, but Basti keeps the pressure on. Diawara keeps his head, stroking home his penalty cheekily. Tayfun takes his chance, and Laurie cheekily lobs his ball home under the enormous pressure. Then Málaga left-back, the 19 year old José Manuel Hernández, has his chance in the limelight, but fluffs his lines as Vidal pulls off his third save of the penalty shoot-out, which we claim 6-5! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Málaga (3-5-2): Roberto; Docando (Vega 24), Isach (Hernández 17), Javi Navarro; Rapaic (Basti 76), Rousel, Whitmore, Tayfun, Serrizuela ©; Gomez, Ismael.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Oliva (Laurie 91), Gershon, Ãlvarez (Ballesteros 60), Puyol; Diawara; Garrido, Salas (Lua-Lua 60); Morán; Redondo, Carreño.

Final score: Málaga 3:3 Cartagonova

Cartagonova win 6-5 on penalties

5th of January 2007

We draw the glamour tie in the Copa del Rey, as we have a battle with Real Madrid to move into the quarter finals. We play the first leg in the capital next Wednesday.

6th of January 2007

Primera Liga - Game 18: Osasuna v Cartagonova

This game is live on television and coming so soon after we just played 120 minutes of heart-stopping football in the Copa del Rey last Wednesday, I have some serious juggling to do to at least get some fit players out there on the pitch. First-up hero Ariel Carreño steps down to the bench, while the 32 year old Diawara makes way altogether as Ballesteros returns to the side, not at his customary right-back position but in the anchor role ahead of the back four. That means that Carles Puyol starts only his second league game of the season at right back, as I prefer him over Jaliens on the right.

As I might have expected, we start the game slowly, with Redondo firing our first shot in anger upon Osasuna’s goal on 17 minutes. Notman finally gets a shot on target on 34 minutes, but Palop does well to get his body behind the ball and knock it away and then smother it at the feet of the onrushing Ballesteros, who is forced into taking evasive action very quickly. Notman has another go just before half-time, but this time Palop pushes it away for a corner. Half-time comes and goes very quickly, and Osasuna are this time quick out of the blocks, with Vidal tested by Vlado Schmidt. But our keeper passes this test with flying colours and then stops Jurandir from scoring the opening goal on 52 minutes. It takes a moment of brilliance from Cartagonova to put us ahead. With a move starting right from the very back with Puyol, the ball ends up curling onto the broad forehead of Notman and into the back of the Osasuna net.

Perhaps the goal was due to the slight injury sustained by Palop earlier in the game, and my counterpart takes no chances, introducing Veiga to the fray. The former Cartagonova keeper looks on helplessly as Notman bustles his way through the Osasuna defence, but unfortunately the Scot fires just over the bar. Nevertheless, with a minute to play in normal time, Notman and Redondo combine to set free Clegg and the Englishman doesn’t miss those chances. We leave Pamplona with all three points in our quest for the title.

Osasuna (4-4-2): Palop (Veiga 60); César, Josetxo, Mateo ©, Cruchaga; Pandolfi (Rui Jorge 69), Schmidt, Trobbiani (Zegarra 60), De Paula; Oktay, Jurandir.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Gershon, Hakala, Puyol; Ballesteros; Michel, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Osasuna 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Jukka Hakala

8th of January 2007

Thanks to Barcelona’s 2-1 defeat of Celta Vigo in Vigo, we remain four points clear at the top of the ladder, but I’m becoming worried by the menacing form of the defending champion. Barcelona have steadily climbed the ladder from a nadir of 14th, and they are now seven points behind us as we begin to reach the half-way point of the season, and we travel to Barcelona on the 25th of February, which now could go a long way to determining the final destination of the Primera Liga’s trophy.

I’m informed by the Spanish FA that the top of the table clash between Cartagonova and Celta Vigo at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena is moved to the 3rd of February to accommodate live television coverage. Peachy!

8th of January 2007

I’m very pleased to see Gavião and David Oliva rejoin the training track fully this morning. It’s a very big boost before our crunch game with Real Madrid on Wednesday in the Copa del Rey, and more importantly, we regain a couple of excellent players for our attack upon the Primera Liga.

But I have bad news from the boardroom as Óscar Ãlvarez and Juan Carlos Castro reject my offer of a new contract for each of them. That means that Castro will join Hércules in the summer on a Bosman free transfer. Obviously, both have seen the writing on the wall and feel that they have gone as far as possible in their Cartagonova careers. That means precisely nowhere for Castro, as he is yet to make his debut for the club in a competitive fixture! icon_smile.gif

9th of January 2007

I’m stunned this morning to pick up the faxes rolling off the machine and sifting through them see that Lyon have offered £6 million to be paid immediately for midfield stalwart Gavião. I’m almost tempted to consider the offer, but I’m glad that I decided to negotiate the Brazilian’s contract, because I can now reject these offers with impunity. Despite the value placed on the Brazilian’s head by this offer, I can’t accept it, at least until Kristian Tanem arrives and settles into his new club… icon_wink.gif

10th of January 2007

Copa del Rey - 3rd round, 1st leg: Real Madrid v Cartagonova

Too many unfit first team regulars mean that I have to alter the side, and it shows on the pitch. In the first half, we are absolutely diabolical and concede three goals. Two of the goals are scored by Pablo Aimar inside the first quarter-hour, while Fernando Morientes scores the third on 38 minutes. The only crumb of comfort I can draw from the first half while I’m berating the players for their woeful performance is the fact that Iván Vidal saved former player Sabino’s penalty on 20 minutes after Carles Puyol is finally pinged for a penalty by the referee. Changes are made to the player personnel in the second half. While we don’t concede any further goals, we don’t look like getting back into this tie, and I have to say that our defence of the Copa del Rey already looks over. The board is unhappy with the way the team performed this evening, and to be truthful, I’m not entirely pleased myself. It was by far our worse performance, with everything that particularly Aimar touched coming off for Real Madrid.

And it all looked so promising when Clegg and Carreño had two early chances go just awry inside the first five minutes. But Cañizares’ long goal kick was picked up by Aimar completely unchallenged and to my great horror he bent a shot into our goal from 30 yards. Completely unforgivable, but to let the same player replicate his feat six minutes later smacks of incompetency at the back. Sabino had a great time celebrating the goal as his knock-down set up Aimar’s chance for the second goal. Then on 38 minutes, Vidal managed to hold onto Sabino’s header, but didn’t sufficiently give his players a chance to take up their formation and Morientes picked off his poor pass to slot the ball past the stranded keeper. Not good enough!

Real Madrid (4-1-3-2): Cañizares; Roberto Carlos, Rubio, Bornes, Grillito; Baronio; Olivera (Stankovic 61), Ronaldinho ©, Aimar; Morientes, Sabino.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie, Ballesteros, Hakala (Villarreal 46), Puyol (Jaliens 46); Diawara; Michel, Garrido; Clegg; Carreño (Jensen 74), Notman.

Final score: Real Madrid 3:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Pablo Aimar

After the match and my castigation by the board, I take out my frustrations on those players who I judge to have performed particularly poorly. Puyol, Ballesteros, Hakala and Carreño feel my wrath as I’m absolutely livid with their paltry form against Real Madrid. Some offer the extremely lame excuse that I should not expect them to perform to their peak ability week-in, week-out. I tell them in no uncertain terms that they are professional footballers expected to perform their job to the best of their ability, just like anybody else in any other professional position would be expected to. Hopefully the message got through to them - otherwise, they will find their time on the pitch limited, no matter who they are. And I’m seriously considering removing Ballesteros from the Spanish squad, since his form has been patchy for the last few months.

In other Copa del Rey results, Barcelona takes over favouritism to take out the title with an easy 3-0 victory over D2B Albacete away from home. Celta Vigo held Atlético Madrid to a 0-0 draw in Madrid, while Segunda Liga Getafe upset Elche 1-0 in Getafe. Valencia did it easy at La Mestalla 3-0 over Villarreal, while Real Sociedad takes home a handy 2-1 victory over Tenerife. Osasuna did the job on the road over Compostela, triumphing 2-1, while Real Vallodolid will struggle to advance after being held to a 1-1 draw at home by Deportivo La Coruña.

11th of January 2007

“… Long-time Real Madrid servant, the Spanish international striker Fernando Morientes has moved to Italy to join Serie A leader Fiorentina in a transfer worth £15 million. For so long the focal point of Real Madrid’s forays forward, Morientes was instrumental in the club’s 3-0 victory over Cartagonova last night, a match attended by officials from Fiorentina who were in Madrid to conclude the transfer. The 30 year old Spaniard signed a 3 year deal worth £45,000 per week, and he joins former teammate Francesco Totti who joined Fiorentina in September 2006 for £25.5 million. Fiorentina currently enjoy a two point lead over AC Milan after 16 matches. The sale leaves Real Madrid short in the experienced striker position and with just four days left before the Spanish transfer window closes, it may be too late for manager Señor César García García to find a replacement for the experienced Morientes…â€

14th of January 2007

I notice that Real Madrid do indeed sign a replacement striker, but he is relatively unknown. He is Dmitry Bulykin from Lokomotiv Moskva, and cost Real Madrid £14.25 million. I’m not entirely sure why they bought him, because he doesn’t look all that great on the tapes I’ve seen of him. Perhaps my counterpart has seen something I haven’t, but I do think they’ll miss Morientes. Not to mention Raúl and Totti, although they weren’t needed last Wednesday night. icon_mad.gif

Primera Liga - Game 19: Cartagonova v Racing Santander

This game marks the half-way point in the chase for the league title. I will miss Ariel Carreño who is with Argentina playing a friendly against Nigeria - why, I will never know, despite having the Argentine manager explain it to me. Juan Hernández and José María Lacruz are both close to full fitness, but I’m advised not to risk either of them against a mid-table team like Racing Santander. David Oliva passes a fitness test this morning but as a precautionary measure, I only name in on the bench with Laurie remaining at left-back. Gavião returns to the middle of the park, with Ballesteros moving back to right-back and Diawara going to the bench. Lua-Lua returns on the right, with Garrido on the bench, while Redondo partners Notman at the sharp end.

Two pieces of brilliance from José Manuel Redondo illuminate an otherwise deadly boring game. His first came within seconds of kick-off as he brilliantly controlled Michel’s challenging pass before slotting an unstoppable drive past the Santander keeper. On 31 minutes, he took Gershon’s pass close to the centre circle and set off on a mazy run that took the striker through the Racing Santander defence before smashing a drive with his less-favoured left foot into the top of the net! icon_smile.gif He fails to complete his hat-trick on 56 minutes when he hits the bar on a volley after being set up by Notman, and we’re made to sweat when Rushfeldt pulls a goal back on 58 minutes. But nobody seems bothered to properly attack each other and the game peters out to a victory for us.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Laurie (Oliva 79), Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Racing Santander (4-4-2): Nuno; Neru, Urbano, Jorge ©, Urrutia (Roberto 76); Irazoki (Husaín 55), Jonathan, Diego, Javi Prats (Revivo 55); Preciado, Rushfeldt.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Racing Santander

But while we’re playing a bad game but winning it, our rivals begin to drop off the pace we’re setting. Celta Vigo loses 2-1 to Real Madrid in Madrid, while Barcelona is surprisingly held to a 2-2 draw by Elche in Barcelona. That means we open up a seven point lead over Celta Vigo, while Real Madrid and Barcelona are two further points back in third and fourth respectively.

Ariel Carreño doesn’t even make the bench for Argentina’s 4-2 victory over Nigeria.

15th of January 2007

With the transfer deadline passing today, the newspapers call me, desperate to know whether I think that Cartagonova can live up to the expectations now being heaped upon us that we will win the title by the end of the season. I’m still confident that we can go all the way, which is exactly what I tell the press. Again, this finds favour with both the fan in the street and the club’s chairman, Señor Florentino Manzano.

So, now that the transfer deadline has indeed passed, let’s take a quick look at the players I’ve bought over the month:

Djibril Diawara (32 y/o, SEN 17 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC): 4(1) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.40: Signed merely to provide depth and experience to the squad to fill a perceived gap in the defence, I think he’s already paid off the £1.2 million I paid Lierse for him. The injury to Gavião has allowed him to prove that he is capable of playing in a tough league against tough opponents, and he has relished that challenge. Not really a long-term investment for the club, but I feel that he can be proud of his achievements already and if he keeps going the way he is going, he may just play enough games to pick up a winner’s medal by the end of the season, if we do indeed take out the championship.

David Oliva (20 y/o, ESP, D RL): 2(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.40: Unlike Diawara, David Oliva is most certainly an investment for the future, but at £7 million, he is certainly a most expensive one. However, I think in the five appearances he has played for Cartagonova since he joined the club, he has shown sufficient potential to suggest that he will be worth every peso we shelled out for him. A pacy defender, he is also strong in the air and capable of dispossessing just about any winger pitted against him. He is also capable of scoring the odd goal or two, and I believe that he will play an increasingly important role in Cartagonova’s future in the next couple of seasons. He might also be a potential captain of the club, given his cool, unruffled demeanour and his professional approach on the pitch. Definitely a player to keep an eye on, and I wasn’t too unhappy to pay so much for him.

Ariel Carreño (27 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC): 2 apps, 2 goals, av. rating: 7.50: His first game was an absolute cracker as he scored a brace on debut and helped push us further in the Copa del Rey. But he was one of the very poor players when we played Real Madrid and is currently unavailable to us being with the Argentine squad playing Nigeria. Signed as a player to support Redondo, Notman and Hernández, I believe that he could score 15-20 goals per season when given the opportunity to shine. His main assets are his pace, dribbling and finishing skills, but he isn’t a player like Notman who can dish off the goals as well as score them. At 27 years old, he should be peaking in the next couple of seasons, and at £3 million, I believe that he is a good investment.

Dixie Flatline

I'm about to return to work tomorrow, but before I do, better check up on the ol' Cartagonova story!

17th of January 2007

Barcelona surprises me by offering £3.8 million two days after the passing of the transfer deadline for defender Jukka Hakala. The offer is double his official value, but I still regard the Finn as an important player both now and in the future, and I don’t want to sell him just yet.

Copa del Rey - 3rd round, 2nd leg: Cartagonova v Real Madrid

Trailing Real Madrid by three goals to nil, we need to make a good start and keep up the pressure through the entire 90 minutes. Real Madrid realise that we will attack them unceasingly and look to strangle the life out of the game by stringing five across midfield and leaving Sabino to fend for himself up front. While we seem to be capable of bypassing their midfield trap and creating plenty of chances for our strikers to try to convert, we can’t seem to pierce Iker Casillas’ resistance until the 25th minute when Redondo converts a penalty given away by Bornes for a foul on Ãlvarez. Ronaldinho gives us a scare when he breaks free from midfield and tries his luck from distance, but his dipping shot clears the bar and we live to fight again. Six minutes from half-time, Notman puts us within striking distance by thumping a header into the back of the Real Madrid net, rising high above Bornes to meet Gavião’s beautiful pass.

Our first-half performance gives me cause for optimism that we can pull the tie from the fire and my optimism increases when Rubio is sent off for a shocking two-footed foul on Redondo with still half an hour to play in the game. Real Madrid consequently abandon all thought of striking on the break and pull everybody back into the defensive third. These completely negative tactics don’t deserve to give Real Madrid the tie, but finally my midfielders can’t find the room to operate in and we can’t make proper use of the numerical advantage we have and Real Madrid leave the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena losing the battle, but winning the war. icon_frown.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Oliva, Ãlvarez, Hakala, Ballesteros; Garrido, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Real Madrid (4-5-1): Iker Casillas; Roberto Carlos, Rubio, Bornes (Helguera 62), Grillito; Ronaldinho ©, Baronio, Olivera (Stankovic 74), Aimar, Colusso (Vivar Dorado 83); Sabino.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Real Madrid

Aggregate: Cartagonova 2:3 Real Madrid

MoM - Alex Notman

18th of January 2007

Real Madrid weigh in with a bid of £4.5 million for Hakala. I’m still not willing to sell the Finn, especially to a rival club like Real Madrid.

19th of January 2007

After an absence of more than three months, José María Lacruz returns to full training and comes under consideration for our next game against Valencia on the weekend.

20th of January 2007

Deportivo La Coruña do me a big favour by defeating second-placed Celta Vigo 1-0 at home. Kim Källström scored the winner on 84 minutes.

21st of January 2007

Real Betis offer me the tidy sum of £8.5 million for the in-form George Clegg. Nice though the money would be, however, I’m not willing to sell one of my most influential midfielders who is in the pomp of his career at this point in time, particularly when he may well be part of a championship-winning squad.

Primera Liga - Game 20: Cartagonova v Valencia

Just over a month after we defeated Valencia 2-0 at La Mestalla, we have the opportunity to extend our unbeaten run in the league to twenty games and do the double over our opponent. Unfortunately, trying to score three goals against Real Madrid has left some of my players a little short of breath, so again I need to juggle my resources to find eleven fit players to take the pitch on a wet and cool afternoon in the south of Spain. Redondo almost puts us in the lead on 11 minutes when his sharp drive is well-stopped by Jonathan, and again the keeper denies our legendary striker on 19 minutes with another good stop. It’s left to Notman to give us the lead, and he does so in style with 8 minutes in the half to play as he smashes home a thunderbolt from 30 yards in the driving rain that Jonathan had no chance of stopping. Palermo gives us a fright close to the break with a good free kick that has Vidal scrambling across his goal to push away, but Notman steadies our nerves five minutes into the second half with his second goal of the game. But Emerson, sent off in our last game with Valencia, halved our lead on 54 minutes to set up a tense finale, which required Vidal to save the three points in the dying seconds when he leaps at the feet of Peña to prevent the young Valencia player sticking the ball in our net for the late, late equaliser. Another three points in the bag, though! icon_smile.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Garrido, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Valencia (3-5-2): Jonathan; Borja, Mellberg, Donnet (Peña 73); Guly (Juric 79), Mendieta ©, Hugo Leal, Emerson, Angulo; Palermo, Saviola (Vicente 50).

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Valencia

MoM - Iván Vidal

After twenty games, the table is beginning to take shape:

28th of January 2007

Levante apparently offer a contract to my youth trainee Ismael Méndez. I don’t personally consider him to have much a future at Cartagonova and if he decides to move to Valencia, I definitely won’t stand in his way.

Primera Liga - Game 21: Alavés v Cartagonova

This game takes about twenty minutes to really wake up, and when it does, it is of course Cartagonova that takes the initiative. Clegg tries to find Garrido free in the area, but the winger’s header flies over the bar thanks to pressure on him from Giuly. Gavião tries his luck seven minutes later, but Dudek does what he does best - save the shot spectacularly. He does the same to Redondo who tries the bicycle kick on 31 minutes from Gavião’s cross. Vidal finally has something to do on 32 minutes when he leaps at the feet of old boy Cristian Ãlvarez to deny the Salvadoran midfielder the chance to score a goal. Giuly embarrasses Gavião right on the stroke of half-time, but Vidal manages to spare the Brazilian’s blushes when he saves the Frenchman’s drive.

Shortly after the resumption, Notman wastes Garrido’s excellent work when he fires wide of the mark on 47 minutes. So Garrido decides to do it himself. Redondo’s shot is parried and partially cleared by the Alavés defence, but Ballesteros picks up the ball and sends it back into the area for Garrido to volley home on his right foot spectacularly. Bringing on Michel for the disappointing Lua-Lua on 70 minutes brings immediate dividends. He nutmegs Marco Sandy and fires towards Dudek. The giant Pole knocks the ball down but before the Alavés defence can clear it, Clegg nips in to tuck the ball away for the 2-0 victory! icon_biggrin.gif

Alavés (4-4-2): Dudek ©; Vallina, José, Sandy, Lara; Chito (Ãlvaro 51), Galasek (Lakis 60), Ãlvarez (Epitié 67), Giuly; Javi Moreno, Iván Pérez.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião; Garrido, Lua-Lua (Michel 71); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Alavés 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Jaime Garrido

Michel takes back the league appearance record from Fernando Morán with 158 appearances under his belt.

29th of January 2007

I’m very disappointed to see Jukka Hakala talk to the press and reveal that he wants to move to Barcelona for a reported £3.8 million. I immediately contact my press contacts in Barcelona and tell them in no uncertain terms that Hakala is going nowhere. Unfortunately, the damage is already done, with quite a few players approaching me after training telling me that they feel that Hakala needs to buckle down and concentrate on his current contract with Cartagonova.

Mendoza decides that he has had enough of Spanish life for a while and he tells me that he will leave the club at the end of the season. Fair enough.

30th of January 2007

Fenerbahçe offers me £7.25 million for Gavião. While the numbers are indeed impressive, they are not impressive enough to tempt me into even considering the offer. I apologetically tell my Turkish counterpart that I could not recommend to the board that they accept this offer for the Brazilian, especially at this time when I would not be able to sign a replacement player due to the Spanish FA’s rules on transfers. I get the feeling they’re dissatisfied, but that’s tough.

Cambuur offers me £3.5 million for defender, the Dutch international Kew Jaliens. That would represent a tidy profit on the £2 million we initially invested in him, but I believe that Kew is still a valuable member of the squad, and I’m not willing to see him on the move.

I’m contacted by UEFA to finalise my European Championship squad for the remainder of the competition this season. I do indeed make some changes - let’s see if you can spot them:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (28 y/o, ESP, GK): 207(1) apps, 243 conceded, 18 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32

José Francisco Belman (35 y/o, ESP, GK): 4(1) apps, 6 conceded, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.20

Christoffer Källkvist (23 y/o, SWE, GK): 10(1) apps, 12 conceded, av. rating: 7.55

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (29 y/o, ISR 37 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C): 75(4) apps, 4 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.28

Ballesteros (31 y/o, ESP 6 caps, D/DM RC): 181(2) apps, 7 goals, 13 assists, 3 MoMs. av. rating: 7.02

Djibril Diawara (32 y/o, SEN 17 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC): 4(1) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.40

Kew Jaliens (28 y/o, NED 12 caps, D RC): 56(12) apps, 1 goal, 7 assists, av. rating: 6.75

José María Lacruz (28 y/o, ESP, D RL): 139(4) apps, 2 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.67

Carl Laurie (24 y/o, ENG, D/DM RLC): 13(21) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.41

Ismael Méndez (17 y/o, ESP, D R): 0 apps

David Oliva (20 y/o, ESP, D RL): 3(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.33

Jukka Hakala (29 y/o, FIN 35 caps, 2 goals, D C): 31 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.97

Óscar Ãlvarez (29 y/o, ESP, D C): 126(6) apps, 4 goals, 3 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 6.91

Midfielders

Gavião (26 y/o, BRA, DM C): 85(2) apps, 18 goals, 19 assists, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.47

Javier Alejandro Villarreal (27 y/o, ARG, DM C): 1(1) apps, av. rating: 7.00

George Clegg (26 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC): 83(17) apps, 28 goals, 21 assists, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.68

Jaime Garrido (22 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F RLC): 11(7) apps, 5 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.22

Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua (26 y/o, DCO 9 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RLC): 64(8) apps, 10 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.92

Fernando Morán (30 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 189(17) apps, 71 goals, 47 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34

Michel (31 y/o, ESP, M L): 205(9) apps, 29 goals, 54 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.17

Forwards

Juan Hernández (21 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 15(2) apps, 8 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.94

Daniel Jensen (27 y/o, DEN 28 caps, 5 goals, AM/F C): 4(4) apps, 3 goals, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.88

Alex Notman (27 y/o, SCO 13 caps, 8 goals, AM/F C): 52(6) apps, 39 goals, 20 assists, 15 MoMs, av. rating: 8.09

Alberto Rivera (28 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 52(3) apps, 15 goals, 12 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.30

Ariel Carreño (27 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC): 2 apps, 2 goals, av. rating: 7.50

José Manuel Redondo (30 y/o, ESP 1 cap, S C): 190(11) apps, 110 goals, 52 assists, 32 MoMs, av. rating: 7.80

31st of January 2007

Long-time rivals Barcelona and Real Madrid clash at the Nou Camp in the first leg of the Copa del Rey quarter-finals. Barcelona takes a handy two goal cushion to the capital after winning 3-1, although the 71st minute penalty scored by Iván Helguera could prove costly for Barcelona if Real Madrid can muster a fight-back in the second leg. In the meantime, Osasuna has it all to do after it crashed 5-1 away to Real Sociedad. The home Basque side ran riot in the first half, scoring three times, but conceded an injury-time goal to Pandolfi. But two further goals in a four minute burst seemingly has killed off Osasuna’s Copa del Rey campaign for another season.

Celta Vigo looks almost certain to move into the semi-final after defeating Valencia at La Mestalla. Morales put Celta on their way after 16 minutes, and Valencia didn’t equalise until the 82nd minute via Emerson. But Julen Guerrero had Celta back in the lead straight from kick-off, and Señor Víctor Fernández must feel confident about his club’s hopes of progressing in this tournament. In the other match, Getafe was held to a 0-0 draw at home by Real Vallodolid, and this tie is still very much in the balance.

1st of February 2007

I’m notified in the afternoon by Ismael Méndez’s agent that he will move to Levante in the summer after he failed to impress me sufficiently to earn himself a full-time contract. It means that we gain nothing for the 17 year old full-back.

At least, that’s what I thought the situation was. Then I find out that the Levante board has apparently vetoed the transfer, meaning Méndez will not be moving to Valencia, for the time being at least.

I’m informed in the evening over a glass of good Australian port that while the board think I’m dong an excellent job (as usual!) and that I have a good rapport with the fans, Jukka Hakala has irrevocably damaged his relationship with the rest of the squad and should be sold as soon as possible. The President, Señor Manzano, points out to me that we’re going to sign Trent McClenahan in the summer, so we shouldn’t feel so bad about signing Hakala. But I think Hakala is quality, and if I can work on his mental attitude towards playing at Cartagonova - and the championship would surely help - then I think I can redeem him in the eyes of the other players, the board and ultimately the fans.

“… Swedish manager Sven-Gorän Eriksson has returned to Spain after an absence of two years in Argentina with San Lorenzo to rescue Mallorca from relegation from the Primera Liga. The Swede has extensive experience in continental European management, after first coming to light when he guided Lazio to the Scudetto in the late 1990s. However, Lazio eventually sacked Eriksson in April 2004, and he spent six months in the wilderness before being hired by Real Zaragoza. However, he was sacked from that job in May 2005, after only ten months in the job. Having had enough of European football for the time being, he was hired by San Lorenzo, and finished ninth in the Apertura championship, and then second in the Clausura championship. In December 2006, he successfully guided San Lorenzo to the Apertura championship. But in joining Mallorca, Señor Eriksson has taken on a much different challenge to the one he just left. Mallorca have spent almost the entire season in the relegation zone, and currently sit in 17th position, just one point out of the drop zone. Morale is low, and his forwards are the least productive in the land. With the Spanish transfer window currently closed, Señor Eriksson must rely on the resources he already has to drag Mallorca away from the danger and to safety. It certainly will not be easy…â€

3rd of February 2007

Primera Liga - Game 22: Cartagonova v Celta Vigo

This game is live on television, and the fans are jammed in to the rafters anyway. It’s first versus fourth, and all the pundits on the box are falling over themselves to try to predict when our unbeaten streak in the league, which currently stands at 21 games this season, will finally end. Some predict that Celta Vigo, currently sitting in fourth position before kick-off, are the team to do it, but having to fight Valencia tooth and nail for the advantage in the Copa del Rey during mid-week, while my boys took it easy on the training track, surely must count in our favour. Carreño and Juan Hernández are both disappointed to not have the chance to participate in this game, particularly from Hernández, who after a blistering start to his Cartagonova career, can’t even get a spot on the bench.

But Redondo shows just why I prefer him to partner Notman when he breaks free of Christian Wörns, the veteran German defender my counterpart allotted to him and takes Lua-Lua’s pass first time before slotting it beneath Erwin Lemmens on just four minutes. Wörns atones for his mistake by clearing Garrido’s goal-bound shot off the line on 20 minutes and then he blocks Notman’s header after Lua-Lua sent the ball back into the area. It’s all Cartagonova and Lemmens tips away Garrido’s thunderous drive a moment later for a corner, which the young international coordinates. Marchena heads it clear, but only as far as Gershon, and the big Israeli defender crosses to the advantage of Notman, who easily beats Sorín to the ball and after 22 minutes, we already have a two-goal buffer. Things turn sour, though, on 31 minutes when Clegg twists his ankle and needs immediate treatment, necessitating a shuffle in midfield. Garrido takes over Clegg’s spot behind the front two, while Michel takes the field on the left. Celta Vigo’s danger man, Diego Ribera, is somebody who I have earmarked for very special attention during the game, but Ballesteros takes my instructions too literally and sends the Spanish international striker crashing to the ground with a crunching tackle. The referee points to the spot unhesitatingly and then dishes out the straight red card to the defender. icon_mad.gif I bring off Garrido and replace him with Diawara to get four at the back again, but Casquero easily converts the penalty. icon_frown.gif

But, apart from a scare provided by Gustavo López on 69 minutes, Celta Vigo seem incapable of prising open the door to the equaliser in the second half, and we comfortably go through the motions in the second half to pick up another three points. At least temporarily, our lead is out to twelve points over Real Madrid.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Garrido (Diawara 45), Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg (Michel 31); Redondo, Notman.

Celta Vigo (4-3-2-1): Lemmens; Sorín, Marchena ©, Wörns, Thuram (Gustavo López 58); Casquero, Morales, Michelini; Guerrero, Gallardo (Tuzzio 58); Diego Ribera.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Celta Vigo

MoM - Alex Notman

Clegg is diagnosed as suffering a twisted ankle that will take about three weeks to fully recover from. With the Champions’ League about to restart very shortly, that’s bad news. Ballesteros misses at least the automatic match for getting the red card, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he misses at least four games in total. He is officially warned for his appalling tackle, and he accepts it with a promise to repair his ways in the future.

4th of February 2007

In the remainder of the Primera Liga matches, all eyes turn to the capital where Real Madrid hosts Barcelona. Juan Verón puts Barcelona into the lead on 2 minutes, but Stankovic equalises for Real Madrid on 14 minutes. Cristian Bardaro scores for Barcelona a minute after half-time, and Kluivert puts Barcelona 3-1 ahead on 71 minutes. Within 45 seconds, Real Madrid’s Ronaldinho has Real Madrid at 3-2, but the equaliser won’t come for Real Madrid, and they lose second place in the league.

I’m informed by the Spanish FA after the fixtures conclude that Ballesteros will be banned for a further two matches, meaning he will miss games against Elche, Athletic Bilbao and Barcelona.

5th of February 2007

Óscar Ãlvarez will miss a month of football after he strains a groin in training this evening.

6th of February 2007

Real Betis offers me £5.5 million over six months for Jukka Hakala. Their offer, whilst appreciated, is rejected outright.

7th of February 2007

Celta Vigo, Real Sociedad, Barcelona and Real Valladolid will contest the Copa del Rey semi-finals after the quarter-finals are concluded this evening. Celta Vigo and Valencia drew 1-1 in Vigo, putting Celta Vigo through 3-2 on aggregate. Real Sociedad completed the formalities by defeating Osasuna 3-2 in Pamplona, to win 8-3 on aggregate. Real Valladolid dismissed the challenge of Getafe 3-1 on the night and 3-1 on aggregate. But in the capital, all interest was on the Real Madrid-Barcelona tie. Just three days after losing 3-2 to Barcelona in the Santiago Bernabéu, Real Madrid needed to win by two clear goals to advance in the competition. Ronaldinho and Pablo Aimar had Real Madrid 3-0 up by half-time, with the Brazilian scoring twice in the first half. When Andrés Olivera put Real Madrid 4-0 in front on 65 minutes, despite Joaquín Bornes being sent off ten minutes earlier, it seemed that Real Madrid would be through to the semi-finals. But Cristian Bardaro and veteran striker Alfonso struck three times in 22 minutes to pull the score on the night back to 4-3, and Barcelona took the tie 6-5 on aggregate.

8th of February 2007

Real Madrid makes my morning complete by offering £6.5 million for Jukka Hakala. I try for £7.25 million before I agree to sell him.

10th of February 2007

Real Madrid do not think that my terms for Hakala are reasonable, so they decide to pull out of the deal. That’s their loss, not mine.

Primera Liga - Game 23: Elche v Cartagonova

Courtesy of our Tuesday evening encounter with Inter Milan in the resumption of the Champions’ League, our game against Elche is pushed forward a day. With Ballesteros serving his first week of the suspension, David Oliva beats off the competition to replace him at right-back. I put behind the simmering dispute with Jukka Hakala and persist with him at centre-half, partnering Shimon Gershon. Morán fills in for the injured Clegg, giving him the opportunity to catch up to within a game of Michel, who sits on the bench as Garrido is still my preferred left winger.

Despite Elche’s attacking formation in front of their own fans, we begin well, with Redondo thumping a volley just over the bar on two minutes. But Guede reminds us that Elche do have a couple of dangerous strikers when he tests Vidal with a rasping drive two minutes later. On 14 minutes, Notman looks up and seeks out Garrido and the former Betis winger tests Dorronsoro with a fierce shot, but the Elche keeper keeps out the shot with his finger-tips. Garrido again tests him a few moments later with a curling shot, and Hakala follows up with a header from the corner conceded by Dorronsoro’s save. However, Dorronsoro manages to withstand the pressure and we are frustrated at this stage. Guede, however, reminds us that it is not always one-way traffic when he plays the ball between Gershon’s legs, takes it past Lacruz and then drives a low, skimming shot towards Vidal’s goal, but Vidal manages to tip it away for a corner.

The breakthrough, however, arrives on 24 minutes, when Garrido again skins his defender and fires a drive towards Dorronsoro. The Elche keeper can’t hold the drive and it spills at the feet of Morán. The midfielder tries his luck, only to see Dorronsoro recover well enough to parry it. But Morán recovers first to stick the ball in the net to give us a deserved lead! icon_smile.gif Morán almost doubles our lead a moment later when he heads Redondo’s cross over the bar, but we’re lucky to stay in front when Pablo escapes our defenders’ attentions and forces a good save out of Vidal with a fine header. Redondo has the last chance of the half when his header clips the bar from Lacruz’s cross on 41 minutes.

Guede eventually gets the goal he has been threatening all game when just two minutes into the second half, the Argentine picks up Mascorro’s flick-on and smashes it past Vidal to equalise the scores. icon_frown.gif But brilliant, bustling work from Notman, who attracts Elche’s defenders towards him like flies to amber allows Redondo the easiest opportunity to score his tenth goal of the season and put us back into the lead! icon_smile.gif Two minutes later, Redondo sees Dorronsoro push away his drive for a corner and we’re all over Elche, looking for a clinching third goal. Notman tries an effort from long-range, but it clears the bar on the hour mark, and again we’re reminded that Elche aren’t prepared to cede this game when Pablo forces another good save from Vidal. But as the minutes tick by, we gradually take control of this game and Morán is denied on 74 minutes by another great save from Dorronsoro, who intercepts Notman’s floated cross a moment later and then smothers the Scotsman’s shot. With eleven minutes to play, Morán is again foiled by Dorronsoro, while Redondo and Notman both miss excellent opportunities to put the icing on the cake in the last five minutes of the game. But we hang on to score the win and keep our unbeaten streak going in the Primera Liga.

Elche (4-2-4): Dorronsoro; Biri (Kree 75), Mascorro, Martín Rivas, Zé Maria (Almqvist 60); Roy González, Boskovic; Pablo, Nano, Guede ©, Grønkjær (Martens 65).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Oliva; Gavião; Garrido, Lua-Lua; Morán; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Elche 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Pedro José Dorronsoro

You may have noticed that Elche played a person called Biri. Yes, he is the former Cartagonova player who began at the club in 2000/01 in my first season at charge. He is finally back in Spain at the ripe old age of 32 years old after moving from Portugal’s Vitoria Guimarães for £925,000.

11th of February 2007

My birthday weekend is made complete when Villarreal defeat Real Madrid, a contender for the crown, 1-0 at El Madrigal. Venetis scored the only goal of the game on 24 minutes.

13th of February 2007

Lyon makes an offer of £6.5 million for Alex Notman. They have to be joking. There is no way I’m selling the best striker at the club for such a small amount.

13th of February 2007

European Champions’ League - Phase 2, Group D, Game 3: Inter Milan v Cartagonova

Not using any substitutes in order to not upset the delicate balance against Elche last Saturday means that we enter this equally important game against Inter Milan with quite a few players not exactly fully fit. So I ring the changes and introduce Juan Hernández for his first game in several months, as he fills in for Fernando Morán at the attacking midfield position. Michel takes over from Jaime Garrido on the wing. Inter Milan start confidently, with Iván Vidal saving well from Silva’s vicious drive on 9 minutes. But we’re outfoxed by Inter on 18 minutes when Gozzi outjumps the keeper to head home Cardinale’s cross. icon_frown.gif But we hit back ten minutes later when Juan Hernández, jubilant to find himself back in favour, collects the loose ball from Casoni’s tackle on Redondo and thunders an unstoppable rocket into the top corner of the Inter net. Two minutes later, a misjudged clearance by Cardinale lands at the feet of Notman, and the big Scot punishes Inter with a bullying run through the heart of their defence before lashing a shot from the edge of the area past Sebastian Frey into the back of Inter’s net.

Inter Milan go very close to equalising before half-time, as Gozzi hits the post on 37 minutes and Luca Saudati hitting drive just over the bar on the break. They get their equaliser five minutes into the second half, and it is the Italian international striker Saudati who claims it, heading home Silva’s perfectly weighted, curling cross on 50 minutes. icon_frown.gif Redondo and Notman miss chances to put us back in the lead in the following five minutes, while Hernández tests Frey with a vicious shot on 63 minutes. Hernández eventually scores his second goal on 74 minutes when he half-volleys Notman’s headed pass into Inter’s net. But our defence falls apart on 78 minutes, allowing Danish international defender Martin Laursen to advance unhindered into the penalty area before hitting a shot past the flat-footed Vidal to equalise the game. icon_frown.gif And the Dane scores the winner on 83 minutes, hitting Silva’s calculated pass past Vidal to kill off our challenge. icon_mad.gif I’m not happy, conceding four goals like this.

Inter Milan (4-4-2): Frey ©; Özdemirok, Cardinale, Laursen, Casoni (Galli 59); Silva, Conticchio, Dalla Bona, Gozzi (Radice 66); Moriera dos Santos (Keane 53), Saudati.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Oliva; Gavião; Michel, Lua-Lua (Morán 61); Hernández; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Inter Milan 4:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Roberto Cardinale

I have a few severe words with Iván Vidal over his poor performance against Inter Milan, as their victory pushes them to within one point of us at the top of the group. We have the chance to gain revenge next week when we host them at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena.

In the other game, Celtic defeated Spartak Moskva 2-1 in Moskva. In Group C, Celta Vigo defeated Lokomotiv Moskva 1-0 in Vigo, while PSV defeated Paris-Saint-Germain 5-2 in Eindhoven.

15th of February 2007

Twente Eschede offers me £4.2 million for Kew Jaliens. But they want to do it over 18 months. That is completely unacceptable to me, and I receive no indication that Twente would be prepared to negotiate better terms of payment over the Dutch international. Therefore, despite Kew’s wishes to move if he can’t find regular football here at Cartagonova, I have no choice other than to reject the offer.

17th of February 2007

Real Madrid’s title challenge seems to be faltering as they lose their second straight league game, this time 3-0 to Deportivo La Coruña on the road. Goals to Turu Flores, José Mari and Ignacio Morán settled the matter in favour of the home side. But Barcelona temporarily at least cuts our lead to nine points as they take full points from their trip to Seville when they defeat Real Betis 2-0 on the road. Josep Guardiola scored twice inside the opening seven minutes to settle this contest.

Dixie Flatline

Looks like you'll grab the tittle this year. Keep up the good work icon_smile.gif

To bad about what happened with Hakala tho. I had the same thing happen in my game twice, and had to sell the player on both occasions even tho they were important first team players icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Junichi Inamoto:

Absolute Quality - keep it up! icon_smile.gif

btw, is this on 00/01 or 01/02?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have it pegged. It's on 00/01, since I'm too cheap to buy the new game, and anyway, I enjoy this game too much to give it up! icon_biggrin.gif

Hope you keep enjoying the story, and I'm sure that Arsene Wenger knows that you're still part of his squad...! icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Q007:

Looks like you'll grab the tittle this year. Keep up the good work icon_smile.gif

To bad about what happened with Hakala tho. I had the same thing happen in my game twice, and had to sell the player on both occasions even tho they were important first team players icon_frown.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's hoping that winning the title isn't jinxed now! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks very much for your wishes. I'm writing just about where I'm playing, so I don't know how I'm going yet. I'm worried about Barcelona - they're hitting peak form, but I guess that if we keep winning, we won't lose this season!

You're right - it's a real shame about Jukka Hakala. He is a very good defender and has really tightened up the leaking defence this season. But even though we're on top, he wants to move on. I don't want to let him go, even if I'm signing Trent McClenahan, who has plenty of ability and promise, because a championship team should build on its squad, not sell off the best players.

Cheers

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stephanie McMahon's Secret Lover:

Quote: "Originally posted by Junichi Inamoto:

Absolute Quality - keep it up! icon_smile.gif

btw, is this on 00/01 or 01/02?"

00-01 but still one of the best stories. icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said before, your suspicions are correct - it's 00/01.

Anyway, thanks for your words of appreciation, SMSL! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Junichi Inamoto:

I still play 00/01 as well icon_wink.gif

Trent McClenahan LOL icon_biggrin.gif - nice name

keep up the excellent-ness mate<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear ol' Trent - he's an Aussie, just like meself. He's a generated player, but he has some of the best stats I've seen on a generated player as a defender, so hopefully he'll live up to the big wrap I've just given him! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

Dear ol' Trent - he's an Aussie, just like meself. He's a generated player, but he has some of the best stats I've seen on a generated player as a defender, so hopefully he'll live up to the big wrap I've just given him! icon_biggrin.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think he's generated. In the 01/02 database he starts off at Olympic Sharks.

And I still believe you're destined to win the title this year. Nice work.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sfi:

Quote: "Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

"

I don't think he's generated. In the 01/02 database he starts off at Olympic Sharks.

And I still believe you're destined to win the title this year. Nice work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, you're right, of course. But still, he is one of the best defenders around, as far as I can see, so I think that Parma have some excellent coaches, although he was pretty good at Sydney Olympic before he moved.

I hope I'm destined too! We'll see how we go, though! icon_smile.gif

Dixie

While the weekend is almost over for me, the game continues in Cartagena!

18th of February 2007

Primera Liga - Game 24: Cartagonova v Athletic Bilbao

Juan Hernández’s excellent performance against Inter Milan in a losing side sees him retain the attacking midfielder position ahead of Fernando Morán with George Clegg out for another week at least, and Jaime Garrido still only slowly recovering from his injury. He has our first opportunity just short of the ten minute mark, but the youngster’s volley veers away sharply from goal at the death and instead, we come under pressure when Joseba Etxeberría finds too much room for my liking and Iván Vidal does very well just to get his fingers on the ball and then even better to hang onto it. But we can’t clear the ball away from our defence and we’re punished when Roberto Ríos found his fellow defender Aitor Karanka free and unattended in our penalty box, and the former Real Madrid defender scores the opening goal. icon_frown.gif Athletic Bilbao silenced the crowd with that goal, and the murmurs of unrest begin to rise as we take forever to get going again. Hernández misses an opportunity to equalise on 36 minutes when he heads over Lacruz’s cross with the goal at his mercy. A few moments later, Redondo misses a volley while Hernández finally gives Imanol Etxeberría something to do on 43 minutes when the midfielder jinks his way past Jorge Pérez before hitting a fierce drive that the Athletic Bilbao keeper does well to stop. Hernández is our most dangerous attacker and on the break, he almost breaks through when he heads Lua-Lua’s cross towards goal, only to see Etxeberría save it.

So, at half-time, I’m not happy to see us trailing against a mid-table side. I frankly don’t see where the goal is coming from, apart from Juan Hernández, as both Redondo and Notman are well-controlled by their markers. But Hernández needs more support, and I stress this to the team. But it could all have been over by 52 minutes but for the excellent keeping of the captain, as he denies Joseba Etxeberría twice in two minutes. I have enough of our generous defence and I bring off Oliva and Gershon, to replace them with Diawara and Jaliens. That doesn’t stop Arteaga from finding space in our area, but fortunately the veteran sends his shot wide of the mark. It marks a turning point in the game as we finally begin to take control of the ball. Redondo misses a chance on 60 minutes when his header from Hakala’s cross goes just wide. But on 64 minutes, he takes his opportunity. Óskar Vales clatters into Redondo inside the area, the referee points unhesitatingly to the spot and Redondo slots it easily. Six minutes later, we bulldoze into the lead when Hakala slips a pass through the Bilbao defence for Notman to lash home on the half-volley.

Two minutes later, we’re again indebted to Vidal, who pulls off a great double save from Kaiku. But on 83 minutes, excellent interchange between Michel and Lua-Lua allows the latter to have his shot at goal, and he doesn’t miss, extending our lead and burying Athletic Bilbao. With two minutes to play, Juan Hernández gets the goal he deserves with his great first half work when Redondo tees him up from the edge of the area. So, we ended the first half with a whimper, but finish the game with a bang! icon_biggrin.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon (Jaliens 52), Hakala, Oliva (Diawara 52); Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Hernández; Redondo, Notman.

Athletic Bilbao (5-2-1-2): Imanol Etxeberría; Aitor, Karanka, Cuéllar, Óskar Vales, Chema (Felipe 61); Roberto Ríos, Solaun; Jorge Pérez; Joseba Etxeberría, Arteaga (Kaiku 56).

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Athletic Bilbao

21st of February 2007

European Champions’ League - Phase 2, Group D, Game 4: Cartagonova v Inter Milan

After we lost to Inter Milan in the last group game, we need to pick up three points to keep up our charge towards the knock-out phase of the competition. But Gozzi almost bursts our bubble on 8 minutes when he curves a shot dangerously close to the goal. Fortunately, Vidal manages to push it away from goal. It isn’t until the 20th minute that we begin to break free of the shackles clapped on us by Inter Milan, and eventually on 23 minutes we score the opening goal of the game. José María Lacruz races down the left before putting in the cross where Juan Hernández is lurking, and the young Spaniard heads home his cross! icon_smile.gif On the half hour mark, Anthony Lurling loses control slightly and is yellow carded, while Notman tests Frey with a stinging free kick, but the French international stops the Scot from scoring our second goal. On 39 minutes, Cardinale interposes himself between Redondo and Notman, but gives away the corner. With Garrido sitting on the bench, Michel takes responsibility of the corner. Gershon rises highest to flick on the corner to Lua-Lua, and the midfielder scores with a diving header! icon_biggrin.gif

Inter Milan look to attack us in the second half when Gozzi finds himself free in the area and unleashes a volley at goal, but Vidal does well to hold onto the stinging drive. We sweep the ball towards goal where Redondo hits a savage right-foot shot at Frey, but again the Frenchman denies Redondo our third goal. Redondo should have scored our third goal on 56 minutes, but his volley clears the bar, while Notman drives another shot on 71 minutes over the bar. Unfortunately, Inter Milan decide to make a game out of the last ten minutes when Luca Saudati converts Cardinale’s cross on 82 minutes. Guti almost equalises the scores undeservedly for Inter two minutes later, but Vidal makes another impressive save, and he then dives upon the ball to deny Saudati the opportunity to hit the ball into an empty net a moment later. But our mission is accomplished - three points in the bag, and we’re almost assured of a spot in the knock-out phase.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Oliva; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Hernández; Redondo, Notman.

Inter Milan (4-4-2): Frey ©; Özdemirok, Cardinale, Laursen, Casoni (Radice 75); Lurling, Conticchio (Guti 68), Dalla Bona (Sartor 81), Gozzi; Keane, Saudati.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Inter Milan

MoM - Iván Vidal

22nd of February 2007

Real Betis offers me £6.5 million over six months for Hakala. I’m very tempted to take the offer, but I try to push this offer to £7 million for the Finnish international defender.

23rd of February 2007

Barcelona joins the chase for Hakala just 48 hours before our crunch game with the defending champion, offering me £5.5 million for the Finnish defender. It’s broken into £5.25 million up front and a further £425,000 if he plays 40 league games. I want to see them put £7 million on the table.

Jurica Vucko, destined to leave the club, hasn’t really attracted much interest, despite being a Croatian international. However, in the papers today, I see that the media have linked him to moves to the Netherlands with Roda JC and also Russia with Shakhtar Donetsk. I’m asked for a comment, but frankly his future is his own concern, so I decline to make any comment about this matter.

24th of February 2007

Toulouse offers me £5 million over 18 months for Kew Jaliens. But I still value the Dutch international as an experienced member of my squad, and despite the fact that he wants to find regular first team football, I’m prepared to reject this offer.

In the meantime, Real Betis pull out of the contest to sign Jukka Hakala.

25th of February 2007

Jaliens’ unhappiness with me becomes public as he reveals to the local papers that he wants to leave Cartagonova in favour of a move to Toulouse for £7.75 million. But I tell the press that Jaliens won’t be moving anywhere in the near future.

Barcelona decide that they can’t find £7 million to sign Hakala with.

Primera Liga - Game 25: Barcelona v Cartagonova

“… Welcome to our live and exclusive coverage of this top-of-the-table clash between Barcelona, the defending champion of Spain, and Cartagonova, the current league leader. To both clubs, this is a real six-pointer, with Cartagonova enjoying a lead of eight points before kick-off over today’s opponent. We expect around 95,000 here this afternoon to witness this game with by far the majority supporting Barcelona. These two clubs have a history of some tight, absorbing but very entertaining struggles, with many remembering the first Copa del Rey final contested by Cartagonova in which Stan Collymore scored a hat-trick, but a goal to Juan Verón in injury time gave Barcelona the title. The Copa del Rey semi-final clash, spread over two legs, was also a classic of attacking football, with Cartagonova taking a 2-1 lead to Barcelona in the first leg, then trading goals in the second leg to lose 5-4 on the night, but win 7-7 via the away goals rule. But all Cartagonova supporters burn with the knowledge that Barcelona swept the league last season, winning the Primera Liga by 20 points with, as Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline famously described as Cartagonova only the first of the losers. It seems that this attitude is permeated right through the club. After Cartagonova bowed out of the Copa del Rey in the third round this year, they have concentrated on consolidating their Primera Liga form, and so far they are undefeated in 24 games this season. It is an extraordinary record, but it will be tested like never before this afternoon in the cauldron that is the Nou Camp.â€

“Looking first at Barcelona and you’ll find that there is plenty of experience, not only at club level, but at the international game. The Italian connection of Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta anchor the defence, while the third Italian, the most expensive player in the world at £39.5 million is Matteo Brighi, who will provide many of the creative plays for the club. Patrick Kluivert and Cristian Bardaro provide the cutting edge, and Kluivert has enjoyed himself in the past against Cartagonova. Juan Verón has tormented many opposition defences with his probing runs from midfield and his excellent visionary passing will hope that he can provide something very special for his club in the next 90 minutes.â€

“Cartagonova are weakened by the continued suspension of Ballesteros, which keeps the Spanish international out of this game, but he should return for the critical game against Real Madrid next week. Filling in for him has been the youngster David Oliva, who many tip to be a future Spanish international after Señor Flatline signed him for £7 million from Rayo Vallecano in the winter. Juan Hernández has been a revelation since signing for Cartagonova from Segunda Liga club Hércules in the summer. He supports a prolific strike partnership of Redondo, who has scored more than 100 goals in his Cartagonova career, and Alex Notman, who is a focal point for many Cartagonova attacks. Sitting on the bench are three players capable of turning a game for Cartagonova. Jaime Garrido was signed from Real Betis for £7 million in the summer. He has had an injury-plagued debut season for Cartagonova, but he has already shown enough to suggest that he has a big future for both his club and his country. George Clegg is tipped to be the next player to pull on the three lion jersey for England and he is recovering from injury, while Ariel Carreño hopes to impress his manager by coming off the bench to earn himself a start in the first eleven since moving from Español. After the break, the action will begin…â€

As I suspect, Barcelona pull all the strings in the opening stanza of the game. We’re fortunate not to concede a penalty as Lacruz treats Kluivert a little roughly in the penalty area, but the referee waves away the Dutchman’s pleas for a penalty. Vidal then saves from Nedved’s free kick after Gavião fouls Brighi within the Czech’s range. Vidal then knocks away Verón’s thumping drive on 12 minutes, but on 20 minutes our resistance crumbles as Bardaro turns provider for the veteran Barcelona midfielder Guardiola to curve a shot into the top corner of our net. icon_frown.gif Vidal is by far the busiest keeper on the field as he stops Guardiola and Brighi from scoring late in the first half. By contrast, Laínez only needs to stop Juan Hernández’s hopeful shot on 27 minutes to concern himself with the play. Bang on half-time, Vidal holds onto Bardaro’s shot.

I decide that I need more midfield inspiration than what Juan Hernández can deliver at this stage in his career, so I decide to introduce Clegg into the play at the start of the second half. It almost makes immediate impact as on 51 minutes, he finds Lua-Lua free on the right, and the Congan midfielder floats a teasing cross into the path of Notman. But Notman’s half-volley goes just over the bar and I’m left to wonder what might have been. Redondo almost brings us equal on 60 minutes when he tests Laínez with a low, skimming drive, but the keeper pushes it away for a corner. Varela almost seals Barcelona’s victory on 63 minutes, but the wing-back’s shot goes wide, while Kluivert’s header is well-saved by Vidal a moment later. In desperation, I bring off the quiet Redondo for Carreño, and it has a brilliant effect. The Argentine’s first touch is to tee up Michel with a cross, but the winger can’t beat Laínez with his header. So Carreño does it himself when he takes the ball just before the half-way line, turns Pablo Paz inside out, evades the desperate tackles of Nesta and Cannavaro before driving a fierce shot beneath Laínez with only 7 minutes to play. He almost wins it for us five minutes later, but his long-range effort drifts agonisingly wide. However, I’ll settle for the point.

Barcelona (1-2-5-2): Laínez; Gerard; Cannavaro, Nesta; Nedved, Verón (Dani 70), Guardiola ©, Brighi (Paz 76), Varela; Kluivert (Alfonso 88), Bardaro.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Oliva (Diawara 58); Gavião; Michel, Lua-Lua; Hernández (Clegg 46); Redondo (Carreño 76), Notman.

Final score: Barcelona 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Iván Vidal

Iván Vidal and Gavião are named in the team of the week for their impressive performances against Barcelona today.

26th of February 2007

Celta Vigo offers me £3.3 million for Jukka Hakala. I reject that offer, but Celta’s manager isn’t done trying to do business with me, as he offers me £3 million for Gavião. That is a bid which is even more ridiculous than the offer for Hakala, so I laugh that one away. Espanyol also try to tempt me with just £3 million for Gavião, and they receive the short shrift the offer deserves.

27th of February 2007

Turkish club Gençlerbirligi makes a tempting offer of £5 million for Dutch international defender Kew Jaliens. I think long and very hard over this offer, but I decide in the end that I would like to try for £5.5 million before I assent to this transfer.

28th of February 2007

Racing Santander approach Ismael Méndez to sign him on a free transfer at the beginning of the next season.

There is more to the saga of Jukka Hakala, as planetfootball.com says that his inspired performances at the heart of our defence are attracting the attention of rival clubs. That is certainly true, and I want Jukka Hakala to remain at the club next season, as he definitely improved the performance of my defence this season.

1st of March 2007

Barcelona must read the same web-sites that I do, as they fax through an offer of £4 million for Hakala. This is still not enough for me to sell the Finn, though, and I tell my counterpart at Barcelona exactly that.

Gençlerbirligi returns with the terms I demand for Kew Jaliens. I still would like to keep the Dutch international, but £5.5 million is still an excellent return on an initial investment of £2 million three seasons ago, and he has never really commanded a regular place in my first eleven. I decide, therefore, to accept the offer in good faith and allow the Turks to convince Jaliens to move to Turkey to continue his career.

I’m informed by the club’s board that while they’re extremely happy with my management and they are impressed by the fact that I’ve continued to cultivate a rapport with the fans, they do not think that Hakala and Jaliens deserve to wear the club’s colours. I take their suggestions on board, but remind them gently that while they control the purse strings, I, and I alone, select the teams week-in and week-out, and they should leave the management of club personnel to me.

2nd of March 2007

I’m informed by Kew Jaliens’ agent that he will move to Turkey as soon as possible. I wish him well in his future career. His move will occur on 1 June 2007.

3rd of March 2007

Primera Liga - Game 26: Cartagonova v Real Madrid

The games are beginning to run out for our main rivals for the title, and six days after playing Barcelona in Barcelona, we host Real Madrid, who would like nothing more to knock us off and move to within a point of Barcelona in second place. Lua-Lua, however, almost scores a very cheeky goal when he attempts to lob Iker Casillas on 13 minutes, but the keeper scrambles back in time to keep it from going over his head into the goal. On 27 minutes, Grillito trips Notman in a dangerous position, but Casillas does well enough to beat Notman’s free kick away. Roberto Carlos skips past Ballesteros on 36 minutes before finding Pablo Aimar, and the Argentine drives a skimming shot across the surface at goal, but Vidal scrambles across just in time to push the shot away.

Olivera almost puts Real Madrid in front shortly after the restart, but Vidal falls on the shot and safely holds onto it. On 53 minutes, we take the lead when Casillas fails to hold onto Michel’s fierce header and Redondo pounces to put the ball away before the Real Madrid defence can recover. However, our lead lasts only seven minutes before Real Madrid are back level. Ronaldinho, the captain, is inspirational as he motors through our defence before finding his partner Olivera. The Uruguayan pushes off Gershon - no mean feat, given the strength of the Israeli international - and then thunders a drive into our goal. icon_frown.gif Real Madrid have a few chances to take the lead, but we punish them when on 75 minutes Redondo takes Clegg’s hurried clearance with a deft touch, and then nutmegs Michel Salgado. He fends off the other Real Madrid defenders before hitting a shot with his left foot into the top corner of the net! icon_biggrin.gif Aimar almost orchestrates a Real Madrid equaliser when he cuts a swathe through our defence and finds Olivera unmarked.

But the Uruguayan hits the post and the ball rebounds to safety. icon_eek.gif However, Vidal’s goal kick is errant and it is picked up by Aimar, who finds Colusso with the headed pass. Colusso tries his luck from distance, and Vidal does well to save his blushes and stop my building anger. Aimar’s corner is flicked on by Ronaldinho and is picked up by Colusso, but Vidal hangs onto his viciously swerving right-footed shot. Notman has the chance to make the points safe on 87 minutes, but his scoring touch has deserted the big Scotsman for the time being and the shot goes high into the stand behind the goal. Nevertheless, it doesn’t matter as we hold out Real Madrid for another three points.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz (Oliva 80), Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua (Garrido 66); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Real Madrid (4-4-1-1): Casillas; Roberto Carlos, Iván Helguera, Grillito, Michel Salgado; Ronaldinho ©, Baronio, Stankovic (Aimar 34), Colusso; Franck (Sergio Muñiz 76); Olivera.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Real Madrid

MoM - Ronaldinho

Archived