How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

22nd of August 2007

For doing precisely nothing, we’re given £1.8 million by UEFA. Well, we did qualify for the first group phase in the European Champions' League. We’re placed in Group H with AC Milan, IFK Göteborg, and Neftchi.

23rd of August 2007

I’m astonished to read in this morning’s newspapers that Jaime Garrido is all set to move to Elche for £6.5 million. The story is obviously bogus, because Garrido cost me £7 million to get from Real Betis, so I would take a loss in selling him and I never like doing that and avoid it at all costs. This is something that is communicated very loudly over the telephone to the journalist who first broke the ‘story’.

24th of August 2007

European Super Cup - Ajax Amsterdam v Cartagonova

On a breezy, wet, humid evening by the Mediterranean Sea at Monaco’s Stade Louis II, where only 18,481 people bother to turn up, we stage an epic battle with Ajax Amsterdam that eventually goes to penalties to be resolved. Ajax’s Theo Janssen almost opens the scoring on 4 minutes when he uses his excellent dribbling technique to bypass our defence, but Vidal manages to hold onto his vicious shot. Eight minutes later, Redondo is pressured into heading wide from Michel’s cross, and it’s game on. Vampeta feeds Janssen in a dangerous position and again, Vidal is called upon to make the save from the Dutch international. We gain a corner on 31 minutes, which George Clegg orchestrates for Notman to test the reflexes of Australian keeper Joe Didulica. Unfortunately, they’re working just fine. Hakala’s effort from that corner is blocked by Ajax captain Christian Chivu. However, three minutes before half-time, Chivu finds the hitherto anonymous former Manchester United striker David Bryngelsson, and he fights his way through the close checking of my defence to hit a long range shot past the diving Vidal for the opening goal. icon_frown.gif I could have no complaints - it was a very good goal, but unfortunately it sets us on our heels.

At the break, I take off the ineffective Clegg and replace him with Garrido. But we have further problems to deal with when van der Leegte almost beats Vidal with a swerving, low shot on 50 minutes, but our captain does well to hold onto it. Redondo hits Krantz’s cross on 52 minutes towards goal, but Didulica prevents him from grabbing our equaliser. Then, Hakala makes our job much tougher when he upends Igor Valeev for his second yellow card of the game. Unfortunately, the need to get an equalising goal means that I pull the back three closer together and hope that they can hold it together until the end of the game. Then on 58 minutes, a brilliant team play involving Krantz, Michel and Notman results in the big Scot thumping home the equaliser to deflate the Ajax spirit. In a twinkle of an eye, we have the lead when good work from Redondo leads to Notman scoring his second goal! icon_smile.gif On 62 minutes, we should have had a penalty which probably would have won the game when Olof Mellberg appears to foul Redondo inside the area, but the referee isn’t in a generous mood and doesn’t award the penalty. icon_mad.gif We’re made to regret it when Vampeta powers home Janssen’s cross. icon_frown.gif I bring on Per Vener Rønning for Krantz immediately and hope that he can inspire us to an unlikely victory. Ajax have a few chances that they fail to seize upon to win the game inside the last ten minutes of normal time, and we head into extra time.

Nothing of substance happens in the first half of extra time as both sides look to catch their breath. At the break, I introduce Kristian Tanem to the fray for the tiring Redondo and hope that his fresh legs and strength will help to unhinge the Ajax defence. He almost does the trick when on 112 minutes, he forces past Chivu to hit a piledriver towards goal, but unfortunately it’s too high and we’re forced to endure the lottery of penalties. Fortunately, we win the coin flip and Notman puts us on the board first. Carlos replies in kind for Ajax, while Rønning does the trick for us. Igor Valeev ties it up at 2-2 apiece, then Tanem again fails to adjust the radar and skies his penalty over the bar. Incredibly, Janssen does the same to ruin his otherwise great evening, and Garrido puts us 3-2 ahead. Bryngelsson keeps Ajax in the game, and when Michel misses, I think it’s all over. But Stam sends his penalty wide, and Gavião puts the pressure on David Trezeguet to keep Ajax in the game. However, Vidal does his hero trick to keep out the French international and we get to claim yet another trophy! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif It mightn’t mean that much, but it’s still pretty good to get our hands on another trophy! icon_smile.gif

Ajax Amsterdam (4-3-1-2): Didulica; Carlos, Chivu ©, Heitinga (Stam 58), Mellberg; van der Leegte (van Bronckhurst 52), Vampeta, Gattuso (Valeev 52); Janssen; Trezeguet, Bryngelsson.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Krantz (Rønning 71); Clegg (Garrido 46); Redondo (Tanem 106), Notman.

Final score: Ajax Amsterdam 2:2 Cartagonova (Cartagonova wins 4-3 on penalties)

MoM - Alex Notman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give Hakala an official warning for his red card in the previous match and surprisingly, he decides that he did deserve the warning. Does this mean that the relationship is thawing? Probably not. icon_cool.gif

Thanks to the scheduling of this game, I only have two days to prepare my team for the return match against Real Sociedad in the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup. I think it’s time to put the squad rotation scheme into practice! icon_smile.gif

28th of August 2007

Just a day after it was rumoured that Guardiola would rejoin Barcelona, he announces that he will go to Red Star Belgrade on a free transfer, turning down a move to join Cartagonova. It also spells the end of his international career! icon_wink.gif

31st of August 2007

I’m required by UEFA to name my 25 strong European Champions' League squad for the opening phase of the competition. After consulting with my assistant and the coaches, I settle upon the following 25 players to represent Cartagonova in the European Champions' League:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (28 y/o, ESP, GK): 235(1) apps, 278 conceded, 20 MoMs, av. rating: 7.35

Christoffer Källkvist (24 y/o, SWE, GK): 10(1) apps, 12 conceded, av. rating: 7.55

Jean-François Gillet (29 y/o, BEL 17 caps, GK): 0 apps

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (29 y/o, ISR 41 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C): 100(4) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.30

Trent McClenahan (22 y/o, AUS 3 caps, SW/D C): 1 app, 1 goal, av. rating: 8.00

Ballesteros (31 y/o, ESP 9 caps, D/DM RC): 192(4) apps, 7 goals, 13 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.00

César Cabrera (22 y/o, ESP, D RL): 1 app, 2 assists, av. rating: 8.00

José María Lacruz (29 y/o, ESP, D RL): 161(5) apps, 2 goals, 8 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.64

Carl Laurie (24 y/o, ENG, D/DM RLC): 20(23) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.51

Per Vener Rønning (24 y/o, NOR, D/DM/F LC): 0(2) apps, av. rating: 7.00

Martin Smith (29 y/o, DEN 29 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC): 0 apps

Jukka Hakala (29 y/o, FIN 39 caps, 2 goals, D C): 56 apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.08

Midfielders

Gavião (27 y/o, ESP 2 caps, DM C): 111(2) apps, 21 goals, 21 assists, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 7.40

Kristian Tanem (24 y/o, NOR 18 caps, 9 goals, DM/F C): 1(2) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.00

George Clegg (26 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC): 98(18) apps, 32 goals, 24 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.27

Jaime Garrido (23 y/o, ESP 4 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RLC): 19(14) apps, 6 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.27

Fernando Morán (31 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 195(21) apps, 74 goals, 49 assists, 12 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34

Bojan Djordjic (25 y/o, SWE 11 caps, AM LC): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00

Michel (31 y/o, ESP, AM L): 228(10) apps, 31 goals, 58 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.15

Forwards

Juan Hernández (22 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 21(4) apps, 12 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.72

Alex Notman (27 y/o, SCO 16 caps, 8 goals, AM/F C): 78(6) apps, 53 goals, 32 assists, 24 MoMs, av. rating: 8.09

Ariel Carreño (28 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC): 6(7) apps, 4 goals, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.23

Shola Ameobi (25 y/o, NIG 11 caps, 3 goals, S C): 1(1) apps, 2 goals, av. rating: 7.00

José Manuel Redondo (31 y/o, ESP 2 caps, 1 goal, S C): 216(11) apps, 125 goals, 58 assists, 36 MoMs, av. rating: 7.81

Christian Vieri (34 y/o, ITA 68 caps, 34 goals, S C): 0(1) app, av. rating: 7.00

1st of September 2007

Euro 2008 Qualifier - Group 9, Game 8: Spain v San Marino

We kick off the next stage in our qualifying campaign with what should be an easy victory against San Marino at Valencia’s La Mestalla. It takes us 25 minutes to open the scoring when the reliable captain, Raúl beats the San Marino keeper to Gavião’s cross and is left with a simple header into the empty net. But that is the sum of the reward for our first half’s effort, and I’m left with that uncomfortable feeling that we might be stunned in the second half if we don’t pick up our game. Replacing the ineffective Gerard on 63 minutes with my very own Jaime Garrido is the answer to my prayers. Eight minutes later, he times his run perfectly through the heart of the San Marino defence to tuck away Vicente’s excellent cross. Not even the departure from the game of Diego Ribera, struck down with an injury on 81 minutes, curtailed our dominance as Garrido dribbles his way through the defence and smashes an unstoppable drive into the back of the San Marino net on 83 minutes. Miguel Ãngel Angulo makes it 4-0 in our favour when he heads home Rubén Navarro’s cross on 89 minutes, and in injury time, Garrido completes his hat-trick when he thumps home Borja’s pass! icon_biggrin.gif That’s the last kick of the game, and what a kick! icon_cool.gif It might be only San Marino, but this will instil confidence right through the squad. And now that Iván Amaya and César of PSV Eindhoven have served their one match bans, I could go back to the normal defence for our next game against Malta, but I have nothing to complain about with Borja and Cuadrado who took their places. In the meantime, César Laínez took López Vallejo’s place in goal, and he looked very comfortable there.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; César, Borja, Cuadrado, Ballesteros; Vicente, Gavião, Angulo; Gerard (Garrido 63); Raúl © (Diego 89), Diego Ribera (Rubén Navarro 81).

San Marino (5-3-1-1): Pagliuca ©; Onestini, D’Aniello, Vannucchi, Alessandro, Nicolini; Moccia (Moreschi 59), Sardone, Monari; Beghetto (Piccinni 51); Bottarelli (Lupini 51).

Final score: Spain 5:0 San Marino

MoM: Vicente

So, summarising what happened in today’s Euro 2008 qualifying, we turn first to Group 1. Bosnia pulled to within 3 points of group leader Germany with a game in hand after they defeated the Germans 1-0 at home. Espinho’s Nordin Gerzic scored the winner in the second half. Portugal dented Estonia’s campaign and notched up its first win of its own when it defeated the Baltic country 2-1 in Lisbon, but they needed Sérgio Conceição’s injury time goal to win the game. There is now a real log-jam at the top of Group 2 after Turkey defeated group leader Finland 3-0 in Istanbul. Cartagonova’s Jukka Hakala played the game, but was unable to prevent his country suffering defeat. Norway, with Cartagonova’s Per Vener Rønning making his debut for his country, took full advantage when they defeated Armenia 3-0 away from home, with John Carew scoring a brace. A David Trezeguet brace helped France thrash the Faeroe Isles 5-0 in Thorshavn. Croatia booked automatic qualification to Euro 2008 when it defeated Hungary 1-0 in Budapest. Djolonga scored the winner in the second half, despite Bulgaria winning 3-0 at home against Moldova.

Italy assured itself of at least a playoff place when it defeated Andorra 2-0 away from home in Group 4. But Russia kept up the pressure by putting three goals without reply past Cyprus in Nicosia. In a match that has little bearing on the ultimate determination of the group, Slovenia and Georgia shared the points in a 2-2 draw. Cartagonova’s Jean-François Gillet conceded an 85th minute goal to allow Lithuania to escape Brussels with a 1-1 draw against Belgium, after de Craeke put them ahead on 10 minutes in Group 5. The Netherlands and Poland are locked together on 15 points at the top of the group when Poland defeated the Dutch 3-1 in Warsaw. Both are assured of playoff places. England pulled three points clear of Ireland after they defeated the Irish 2-0 at Wembley Stadium. A brace from Gary Birch did the trick for the English, but both countries will at least play off for places in Euro 2008. Romania struggled to a 2-1 victory over Luxembourg in the other game from Group 6. Albania took another step towards qualification when it defeated Sweden 1-0 in Group 7 in Stockholm. Cartagonova’s Bojan Djordjic played the last 27 minutes of the game, but couldn’t rescue the situation for the Swedes, but Albania now will at least play off for a spot at Euro 2008. Greece will keep the Albanians honest until the end after they defeated Iceland 2-1 in Reykjavik. The Czechs put four past Liechtenstein in a 4-1 victory in Prague to maintain their slim hopes of overtaking the Greeks. In Group 8, Yugoslavia consolidated its position at the top of the group after defeating Austria 1-0 in Belgrade, but the Austrians still have a game in hand to make up. Azerbaijan and Switzerland drew 1-1 in Baku. Finally to Group 9, and Spain pulled two points clear of the Ukraine after thrashing San Marino 5-0 in Valencia. Cartagonova’s Ballesteros and Gavião played, while Jaime Garrido came off the bench to score a hat-trick in 17 minutes. Martin Smith was involved in Denmark’s 1-1 draw with Malta, while Shimon Gershon had a hand in Israel’s 1-1 draw with the Ukraine.

“… Spanish manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, confirmed this evening that Celta Vigo and Spanish international striker Diego Ribera is likely to miss Spain’s next game against Malta in Valletta. The striker scored a brace when the two countries last met last season, but he suffered a badly bruised shin, and while he is undergoing intense treatment in a race against time to be ready for Wednesday’s match, he is regarded as only a fifty percent chance of playing. In the meantime, Raúl stands on the threshold of becoming Spain’s first player in its history to reach 100 international caps. The 30 year old PSG striker is also one goal short of the 50 international goal mark, and the bookies are giving good odds on the former Real Madrid player reaching both milestones in the one game…â€

4th of September 2007

I’m informed by Luis Sosa that Alex Notman strained his wrist in training this evening and will miss a week of football. That unfortunately rules him out of our opening game in the Primera Liga next weekend.

5th of September 2007

Euro 2008 Qualifier - Group 9, Game 9: Malta v Spain

“… Spain defeated Malta comfortably in Valletta and in the process, the captain, Raúl reached 100 caps for his country and scored his fiftieth goal. He opened the scoring on 21 minutes to lead the way, especially after Rubén Navarro, in for the injured Diego Ribera, was forced from the field on 13 minutes with an injury. Roma winger Vicente doubled Spain’s lead on 34 minutes when he scored spectacularly with a bicycle kick after being set up by Gerard. Six minutes into the second half, Joseba Llorente scored his third goal for his country, finishing off excellent work from Raúl. Diego, on for Raúl, who was given a standing ovation by the Spanish supporters, earned Spain a penalty on 71 minutes, and Cartagonova’s Gavião converted the spot kick to put them 4-0 in front. However, the ever-dangerous Michael Mifsud pulled a consolation goal back for Malta on 87 minutes to spoil César Laínez’s night and at least give a crumb of comfort to the home supporters. However, Spain was just too good on the night and it belonged to Raúl.â€

We certainly dominated this game tonight and I’m quite happy with the result, although conceding a late goal obviously makes me unhappy, because this could count against us in the end. It probably won’t, but you never know. Raúl played wonderfully well until I decided to take him off to preserve his fitness, but I’m beginning to wonder at the proneness to injury of players like Diego Ribera and Rubén Navarro, who is coming back to Spain with a mid-season transfer to Real Madrid. But I think the match shows the depth in midfield and attack that we boast when Jaime Garrido, who scored a hat-trick coming off the bench against San Marino, is not even considered for a game tonight! If I can work out our best four defenders, we would be have to be a favourite for Euro 2008, but at the moment, we can’t shake the Ukraine, and we have a potentially tricky match against Israel to negotiate in the last round of the qualifiers.

Malta (5-3-2): Haber ©; Lannacone (Capria 51), Tavcar, Villegas, Heamed, Tindal (Kamagate 56); Arnold (de França 51), Muscat, Giglio; Hermínio, Mifsud.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, César, Ballesteros; Gavião (Artur 84); Vicente, Angulo; Gerard; Raúl © (Diego 62), Rubén Navarro (Llorente 13).

Final score: Malta 1:4 Spain

MoM - Raúl

Rounding up other results in Euro 2008 qualifiers, turning to Group 1, and Estonia closed to within two points of Germany after the Baltic nation defeated Bosnia 3-1 in Tallinn, while Northern Ireland held Germany to a 0-0 draw in Berlin. In Group 2, Finland with Cartagonova’s Jukka Hakala in the defence defeated the Faeroe Isles 3-0 thanks to a hat-trick to Henri Scheweleff. France thrashed Armenia 5-0 in Paris, but Norway defeated Turkey 2-0 in Oslo, with a goal from Cartagonova’s Per Vener Rønning, while Kristian Tanem also played. In Group 3, Croatia defeated Slovakia 4-0 in Split to finish its qualification campaign undefeated with seven victories and one draw. Moldova and Hungary shared the points in a dull 0-0 draw that does not affect the outcome of the group. Moving to Group 4, Georgia thrashed Andorra 5-0 in Tbilisi, while Russia drew level with Italy on 20 points from 9 games after the Italians were held to a surprising 0-0 draw by Cyprus and Russia defeated Slovenia 3-1. Cyprus offered literally nothing in attack, but their defence absorbed the full force of Italy’s much-vaunted attack, as they racked up 23 shots on goal without breaking through, which puts their chances of automatic qualification under threat. Italy faces Georgia in the Stadio Olimpico in a month, while Russia must travel to Andorra at the same time to finish its campaign.

It’s also still tight in Group 5, as the Netherlands crushed Latvia 5-0 in Amsterdam with Kluivert and van Nistelrooy both scoring braces, while defender John Heitinga added one of his own. But Poland dropped two crucial points in a 1-1 draw with Lithuania. However, the Poles can overtake the Dutch if they can defeat Belgium in Chorzow in a month, as the Dutch have already finished their qualification campaign. England defeated Belarus 3-0 in Minsk in Group 6, but Ireland still remains three points behind with the chance to overtake England in the final round of qualifying games as they defeated Luxembourg 4-2. Ireland travels to Bucharest in a month to play Romania. In Group 7, Albania booked passage to its first major football competition in its history after two goals in the space of three minutes put the determined Czech Republic away in Tirane. Greece’s faint hope of overtaking Albania disappeared this evening as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Sweden. They now travel to Albania in the hope they can ensure they finish at least in second place, but the Czech Republic may sneak into second place if they can defeat Iceland by a sufficient margin to push the Greeks out of second place. Iceland, for their own, thrashed Liechtenstein 5-0.

In Group 8, Austria still has the chance to finish on top of the group after they defeated Azerbaijan 2-0 in Vienna, while Yugoslavia finished their campaign on a losing note with a surprise 2-1 loss to FYROM. It leaves Yugoslavia in a vulnerable position, as Austria can finish on top if they beat Switzerland in a month. Finally, to Group 9, and apart from Raúl’s 50th goal in his 100th match for Spain helping the Spaniards to a 4-1 victory over Malta, Israel, with Cartagonova’s Shimon Gershon playing in defence, defeated San Marino 4-0. The Ukraine matched Spain stride for stride as they won 2-1 against Denmark in Kyiv. Spain travels to Israel to finish its campaign, while the Ukraine take on Malta in Valletta. If Spain loses and the Ukraine win, then the Ukrainians will overtake Spain at the last and book an automatic place to Euro 2008. Ballesteros and Gavião played for Spain.

9th of September 2007

Primera Liga - Game 1: Athletic Bilbao v Cartagonova

It is somewhat surprising that given our Spanish Super Cup and European Super Cup commitments, and the intrusion of international games, this is our first league game of the season. Other clubs play their third game this evening, while we’re yet to kick a ball in anger in the league. And the match hardness that comes with playing in the league shows as Athletic Bilbao run us ragged in the first half. We’re not helped by the early loss to injury of Shimon Gershon, which allows me at least to introduce the talented but inexperienced Trent McClenahan into the game. With the experienced Ballesteros beside him, we manage to keep Athletic quiet, at least until George Clegg is forced from the field with an injury caused by an unpunished tackle by Roberto Ríos which I’m very unhappy about. Juan Hernández replaces him. Iván Vidal does well to save a long shot from Óskar Vales entering into injury time at the end of the first half and we reach half-time with the injuries but still on level terms.

Garrido celebrates the freedom of playing on the right when he takes on and beats Orbaiz and tries his luck with a tremendous drive, but Imanol Etxeberría does just as well to save it. icon_frown.gif From Felipe’s trip on Redondo, Ballesteros tries his luck and almost breaks through, but Gereñu takes up the challenge when he is set free by Jorge Pérez. Thankfully, Vidal gets his fingers to the dipping volley. However, the Bilbao captain, Joseba Etxeberría does well when he evades the tackling Ballesteros, brings the ball inside the penalty box and unleashes an unstoppable shot that ends up in the back of our net. icon_frown.gif But, their lead lasts only two minutes as Garrido gathers up the rebound from Ballesteros’ shot and sticks it past Imanol Etxeberría. I gamble on winning the game by bringing on Ameobi for the tiring Redondo, but he makes little difference to the game’s outcome, and we start our defence with a point in Basque country.

Athletic Bilbao (4-3-2-1): Imanol Etxeberría; Del Horno, Karanka, Jusué, Óskar Vales (Barkero 69); Roberto Ríos, Jáuregi (Orbaiz 46), Felipe (Gereñu 52); Jorge Pérez, Solaun; Joseba Etxeberría.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon (McClenahan 12), Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Garrido; Clegg (Hernández 35); Redondo (Ameobi 78), Tanem.

Final score: Athletic Bilbao 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Iván Vidal

The bad news that comes from the match is that Gershon will miss a month of football with a twisted ankle, and Clegg strained ankle ligaments which will keep him out for three weeks. It could not have come at a worst time for us, since fixture congestion sees us play seven games in the month of September, including matches against AC Milan and Barcelona. icon_mad.gif

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Raúl stands on the threshold of becoming Spain’s first player in its history to reach 100 international caps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little correction - Andoni Zubizarreta reached 112 caps IIRC, so it isn't technically correct, but such a brilliant story is allowed one mistake icon_biggrin.gif

Great as usual, and it was this that inspired me to write my story (here somewhere) - you may notice similarities in the style icon_biggrin.gif

KUTGW

What SMSL said. Still a great read icon_smile.gif On another note I can tell you that your defender Martin Smith has retired from professional football at the age of 22 (or was it 23) following a car crash more than a year ago. He never got over his injuries and retired a few weeks ago icon_frown.gif Sad, because he was a major prospect for the future.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Junichi Inamoto:

Raúl stands on the threshold of becoming Spain’s first player in its history to reach 100 international caps. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little correction - Andoni Zubizarreta reached 112 caps IIRC, so it isn't technically correct, but such a brilliant story is allowed one mistake icon_biggrin.gif

Great as usual, and it was this that inspired me to write my story (here somewhere) - you may notice similarities in the style icon_biggrin.gif

KUTGW

Oops, I should have remembered Andoni's record when I was writing up that part of the story. icon_frown.gif But thanks very much for your words of praise! icon_smile.gif Hopefully, I'll be able to keep to the standard in the future! And I'll go take a look at your story shortly.

Cheers,

Dixie

God, I had catching up to do on this one! Good thing I did though, it's still a superb story Dixie, it's amazing the effort you must put in to this one. I'm reading avidly icon_smile.gif

your biggest fan icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ell_G

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harleqin:

What SMSL said. Still a great read icon_smile.gif On another note I can tell you that your defender Martin Smith has retired from professional football at the age of 22 (or was it 23) following a car crash more than a year ago. He never got over his injuries and retired a few weeks ago icon_frown.gif Sad, because he was a major prospect for the future.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it's always a shame when a player is forced out of the game before he has had a chance to realise his potential.

Thanks for the info, Harleqin, and also the thumbs up! icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ell_G:

God, I had catching up to do on this one! Good thing I did though, it's still a superb story Dixie, it's amazing the effort you must put in to this one. I'm reading avidly icon_smile.gif

your biggest fan icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Ell_G<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm glad you did, Ell_G! icon_smile.gif I've got some more on the way, too, just to keep you all entertained! icon_biggrin.gif The Cartagonova story is the only one I write at the moment, because I don't have much time to play CM or update on the 'net now that I've finished university and moved into a full-time job. icon_wink.gif But when I get around to it, I like to do the job properly! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

And now for something completely different!

12th of September 2007

Before I describe our first Champions’ League match for the season against IFK Göteburg, it’s time to take a look at the clubs we’ll have to beat to book passage into the second group phase. As mentioned before, we’ve been drawn in Group H, along with IFK Göteburg, AC Milan and Neftchi. Defending European champion, Cartagonova, spent the season strengthening the squad, and the addition of players like Kristian Tanem, Per Vener Rønning, Shola Ameobi, Christian Vieri, Trent McClenahan and César Cabrera has certainly added to the depth in strength at the club. However, the loss of Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua will test the midfield, with Elias Krantz’s first three games for Cartagonova not good enough to win him a place in the European squad. Spanish international Jaime Garrido is expected to hold down that position. But much depends upon the burgeoning partnership of José Manuel Redondo and Alex Notman. These two players have been very dangerous for Cartagonova in Europe in the past, and it will no doubt be a high priority on the lists for their opponents to stop these two players gaining a foothold in the game. Most bookies have Cartagonova down for advancing into the next round of the European Champions' League.

Swedish champion, IFK Göteburg certainly has a good squad, with midfielders Daniel Nicklasson and Tobias Hysén and striker Patric Andersson all important players for the cause. They will be difficult to beat in Sweden, but a lack of pedigree, particularly in defence, will cost them dear when they travel on the road. It will be very difficult for IFK Göteburg to move into the next stage of the Champions’ League, but they will cause problems for the likes of Cartagonova and AC Milan, the two clubs favourite to continue in this competition.

For AC Milan a lack of success in Europe in the past decade is unthinkable for the demanding fans that pack into the San Siro every other weekend to cheer on the Rossineri. The pressure will be on manager Signor Oscar Ruggeri to deliver the goods on the pitch in Europe’s premier club competition, and with the resources at his disposal he should at least make a good start to it. Ukrainian international Andriy Shevchenko and Italian international Vincenzo Iaquinta have forged a good understanding in the past season or so, and they will rely heavily upon the midfield probing of Brazilian international Alex. AC Milan will rely upon two players with experience of English football, with former West Ham United and English central defender Izzy Iriekpen and former Argentine and Derby County defender Horacio Carbonari forming the partnership at the back. AC Milan should be good enough to finish at least in the top two, but whether they have the ability to defeat the favourite and defending champion Cartagonova is something that only time will tell.

Little is known about Azerbaijani club SC Neftchi Baku beyond the fact that they are the champion of Azerbaijan and is based in the capital Baku. However, on the way to the first group phase, they defeated Steaua Bucharest and Rosenborg Trondheim to qualify, so they should not be taken too lightly by their opponents. Clubs like Cartagonova and IFK Göteburg will have to cross the entire European continent when they travel to Baku, and this travelling will count heavily against them. But the playing resources at Neftchi are thin, to say the least, and it will be very surprising if they pick up a victory at all.

European Champions' League - Group H, Game 1: IFK Göteburg v Cartagonova

With my two favoured centre halves out of the game either through suspension or injury, I rely upon Martin Smith and Trent McClenahan to step up to the plate to fill in. That’s why I’m disappointed to see Redin get clear of my defence to try his luck after just two minutes of play, but fortunately, Vidal is up to the task. We put the pressure on momentarily with chances falling to Notman and Redondo, but neither can seize the opportunity and Vidal does excellently well to save from Redin on 4 minutes. However, IFK Göteburg unhinges our defence once too often on 14 minutes when Thureborn finds the right cross to hit the head of the climbing Redin and he scores - third time lucky. icon_frown.gif We should have had a penalty on 17 minutes when Redondo is knocked to the ground on 17 minutes by Hysén, but the Russian referee has none of it. icon_mad.gif Redin is clearly the Swedes’ most dangerous player, and he hits the cross-bar on 30 minutes. Notman forces a corner when he hits a drive that Bashiri does well to save on 34 minutes, while Redondo tests the keeper’s reflexes from the resultant corner. Unfortunately for us, they work quite well. icon_frown.gif With six minutes in the half, Notman holds off the defenders and flicks Redondo’s pass towards Bashiri’s goal, but the Swede manages to save the shot.

At half-time, I castigate the defenders for their poor first half and I make José María Lacruz the scapegoat as he is substituted by Cabrera. We begin the second half quite brightly, as the players no doubt heeded my harsh words, but the breakthrough doesn’t come and it becomes frustrating. Redin almost scores with a spectacular bicycle kick on 66 minutes, but Vidal scrambles across just in time to save the shot. He has to do the same a few moments later to Patric Andersson’s shot, and we’re struggling to stay in the game. But the tiring Garrido finds a spurt in his leaden legs to race away down the right, and the international swings over the cross for where Redondo is waiting to knock the ball square to the onrushing Morán. The midfielder thumps a drive into the top corner and we have our equalising goal! icon_smile.gif But I’m left to curse our inability to defend at the moment when the hitherto anonymous substitute Lagemyr bobs up eight minutes from time to score the winning goal for the host. icon_mad.gif

IFK Göteburg (5-3-2): Bashiri; Nicklasson (Skalin 52), Nilsson, Prochazka ©, Kenstanlis, Jensen; Strobeck, Thureborn, Hysén (Lagemyr 58); Andersson, Redin.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz (Cabrera 46), Smith, McClenahan, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel (Rønning 68), Garrido; Morán; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: IFK Göteburg 2:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Gavião

José María Lacruz is given the first official warning of the new season, but several other defenders skirted the edge. I’m very annoyed that so far we haven’t been able to keep a clean sheet in any competitive game, and on a night like tonight, when we couldn’t score, we would be punished.

15th of September 2007

Atlético Madrid waste their time with a £3.1 million bid for Gavião. I’m not going to entertain such a small offer for him.

Primera Liga - Game 2: Cartagonova v Sevilla

A hat-trick from Alex Notman highlights our first home league game of the season in the redeveloped Estádio Municipál de Cartagena. He scores first on 2 minutes when he takes Morán’s pass in his stride, loses his marker and thumps a drive past the Sevilla keeper! icon_smile.gif But we again concede a goal to winger Francisco Gallardo on 24 minutes, and we have to wait until the 40th minute before Trent McClenahan’s pass is seized upon by Notman, and the Scottish international puts the ball into the top corner! icon_biggrin.gif Notman could have finished his hat-trick 7 minutes into the second half, but Iglesias pulls off a top-drawer save from his free kick. Tanem almost scores his first goal for the club from the corner, but Iglesias uses his finger-tips to perfection to deny the Norwegian international. Redondo misses a chance on 56 minutes, while Vidal holds onto Gallardo’s shot on 59 minutes. Iglesias foils Notman once more on 66 minutes, but with ten minutes to play, the Scotsman finds the back of the net for the third time with a spectacular overhead strike! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif The 21,220 crowd goes bananas at the Scotsman’s first hat-trick for Cartagonova, and it doesn’t matter that Ameobi misses his chance on 84 minutes.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Smith, McClenahan, Ballesteros; Michel, Tanem, Krantz; Morán; Redondo (Ameobi 60), Notman.

Sevilla (4-4-2): Iglesias; Rubén Pastor, Espín, Fukunishi, Ruiz Otxoa; Osorno (Fredi 71), Enguix (Wellington 54), Osorio ©, Gallardo; Rubio, Jiménez (Ito 54).

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 Sevilla

MoM - Alex Notman

The victory pushes us up to sixth place, but we still have played only two league games, and the rest of the league plays tomorrow - for most clubs, it will be their fourth game of the season.

The game sets two new club records for us. A record attendance of 21,283 is posted, while the gate receipts total £489,509. Hopefully this means we’ll break the £500,000 barrier when AC Milan come to play.

22nd of September 2007

Primera Liga - Game 3: Real Betis v Cartagonova

After we survive an early scare thanks to a free kick orchestrated by Gaston Casas, Alex Notman puts us ahead on 5 minutes when Morán heads Sala’s errant goal kick into the Scotsman’s path, and he thunders a drive from 30 yards home. icon_smile.gif But Kenneth Gustavsson, anxious to impress against his former club, is at the heart of the move that sees Morantes hits the post 4 minutes later, rattling our complacency. On 21 minutes, Redondo goes very close to extending our lead when he picks up the loose ball and tries his luck, but Sala pushes it away for a corner. On 38 minutes, Garrido chops off Gustavsson’s pass intended for Donati and flicks it towards Gavião motoring through the centre of the pitch. The Spanish international midfielder finds Morán going into the penalty box and the veteran midfielder puts the ball into the back of the net! icon_biggrin.gif But on the stroke of half-time, we concede a goal to Jorge Quinteros who picks up Vidal’s desperate punch from Gustavsson’s cross.

It gives the Seville-based club the momentum going into the second half, and I’m disappointed to see our defence crack for the second time on 53 minutes when Quinteros races onto Morantes’ pass and tucks it beneath Vidal’s legs. Three minutes earlier, Notman could have made it safe but Sala pulls off a crucial save, and I’m left to curse our bad fortune and poor defending. On 56 minutes, Sala does it again to Notman and I feel that we’ll be lucky to escape with a point when Gustavsson tries his luck with 8 minutes to play. Fortunately, Vidal gets to the Swedish midfielder’s shot. Then, with time running out, Hakala takes a chance, dribbles past Morantes, holds off Gustavsson and skips over the desperate tackle of Pereyra and finishes a fine solo move with a shot to match! icon_biggrin.gif We’re fortunate to come away with all three points, but I’ll take it! icon_cool.gif

Real Betis (4-4-2): Sala; Aranzábal, Rivas ©, Mora, Carlos (Omar Rodriguez 60); Donati, Gustavsson, Morantes, Arellano (Pereyra 60); Casas (Javi Moreno 6), Quinteros.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Hakala, McClenahan, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Garrido; Morán; Redondo (Ameobi 83), Notman.

Final score: Real Betis 2:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Gavião

After the match, international call-ups are announced for the final round of Euro 2008 qualifiers. Per Vener Rønning and Kristian Tanem are called up to Norway’s squad for its match against the Faeroe Isles. Jukka Hakala is required by Finland for its game against France. Belgium selects Jean-François Gillet for its game against Poland. Sweden requires Bojan Djordjic to attend for its game against Liechtenstein. Denmark calls upon Daniel Jensen and Martin Smith to play against San Marino. It also means that I need to finalise the Spanish squad for our crunch game against Israel in a fortnight. I call up four players from Cartagonova to potentially represent the country in the final Euro 2008 qualifier. I don’t make any changes to the squad, which means that José Manuel Redondo again misses out:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (28 y/o, ESP 0 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (30 y/o, ESP 7 caps, GK): Barcelona

Javier López Vallejo (31 y/o, ESP 43 caps, GK): Villarreal

Defenders

Ballesteros (31 y/o, ESP 11 caps, D/DM RC): Cartagonova

César (27 y/o, ESP 5 caps, D RL): Osasuna

Jordi Ferrón (29 y/o, ESP 8 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Real Zaragoza

Borja (29 y/o, ESP 14 caps, D LC): Valencia

Juanma (30 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D LC): Espanyol

Iván Amaya (28 y/o, ESP 38 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (29 y/o, ESP 48 caps, 1 goal, D C): PSV Eindhoven

Iván Javier Cuadrado (28 y/o, ESP 2 caps, D C): Elche

Carlos Marchena (28 y/o, ESP 5 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

Artur (26 y/o, ESP 2 cap, DM RC): Villarreal

Gavião (27 y/o, ESP 4 caps, 1 goal, DM C): Cartagonova

Diego (28 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 3 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Miguel Ãngel Angulo (30 y/o, ESP 42 caps, 6 goals, AM/F RC): Valencia

Joseba Etxeberría (29 y/o, ESP 67 caps, 18 goals, AM/F RC): Athletic Bilbao

Jaime Garrido (23 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 5 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (22 y/o, ESP 4 caps, AM/F RC): Espanyol

Jorge Pérez (31 y/o, ESP 30 caps, 4 goals, AM LC): Athletic Bilbao

Vicente (26 y/o, ESP 56 caps, 16 goals, AM/F LC): Roma

Gerard (28 y/o, ESP 41 caps, 7 goals, AM C): Barcelona

Forwards

Raúl (30 y/o, ESP 100 caps, 50 goals, AM/F LC): Paris-Saint-Germain

Diego Ribera (30 y/o, ESP 10 caps, 6 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (27 y/o, ESP 3 caps, 3 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Rubén Navarro (29 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 9 goals, S C): Bari

23rd of September 2007

We have only played three games in the league, and consequently, we are only in tenth position, five points behind surprise leader Real Sociedad, who actually have only played four games themselves, along with second-placed Valencia. One of their victories included a 4-1 thrashing of Barcelona in San Sebastián.

Gavião and Alex Notman start in the team of the week, while Hakala and Michel command seats on the bench.

Dixie Flatline

Well, what can be said. What a superb story. Like many readers before you have enlightened my dreary days at work and my productivity has trebled icon_wink.gif

Congratualtions on the League and Euro Cup success, hopefully you can add the World Club Championship trophy into Cartegonova's already burgeoning trophy cabinet icon_smile.gif

KUTGW! Out of interest I notice you play 4-3-1-2 at home and 4-1-2-1-2 away from home. The away formation do you play the middle two wide (ML and MR) or with two central midfielders?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Wall:

Well, what can be said. What a superb story. Like many readers before you have enlightened my dreary days at work and my productivity has trebled icon_wink.gif

Congratualtions on the League and Euro Cup success, hopefully you can add the World Club Championship trophy into Cartegonova's already burgeoning trophy cabinet icon_smile.gif

KUTGW! Out of interest I notice you play 4-3-1-2 at home and 4-1-2-1-2 away from home. The away formation do you play the middle two wide (ML and MR) or with two central midfielders?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much Andy! icon_smile.gif I'm sure aiming to add a few more trophies to Cartagonova's trophy cabinet this season and hopefully if I get Spain into Euro 2008, then perhaps I can do something to rectify their 'choker' tag, too!

To answer your question, I always play with wingers, home and away. At home, the wingers push forward as far as possible, but away, I like to keep them less advanced. I think it helps that I have always been able to sign excellent defensive midfielders, like Gaviao, and before him, Couto and Tarraga.

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghostwriter:

Here is my customary 'good luck' message for the start of the season although after last seasons exploits, I don't think much luck is needed... icon_smile.gif

You can't exactly do _that_ much better can you??? icon_cool.gif

Story is as fantastic as ever...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we missed out on the Copa del Rey last season! icon_biggrin.gif But I think you're right. We did very well last season. Hopefully this season won't be the premiership hangover, though... We'll see how we go, but as usual, we're taking things one week at a time here in Cartagena! icon_biggrin.gif

By the way, since we expanded the stadium, I've managed to guarantee some seats for you in the VIP/Corporate area, ghostwriter. You're always welcome to stop by for a match! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie

The Cartagonova saga continues!

25th of September 2007

Standard Liège and Gençlerbirligi both offer me £600,000 for Christoffer Källkvist. I reject both their offers.

European Champions' League - Phase 1, Group H, Game 2: AC Milan v Cartagonova

It’s the first time we’ve come across AC Milan in our travels, and playing in the historic San Siro is overwhelming for some of the players, despite their experience at playing in the European Champions' League or on the international stage. It counts against us as AC Milan take control of the game in the early stages, and Vidal is quite the busy keeper denying Iaquinta, Shevchenko and Lafortezza. But just when we think we’re levelling the playing field, McClenahan is harshly penalised for what I thought wasn’t a foul on Iriekpen, but Anders Frisk, after consulting with his linesman, awards the penalty and Iaquinta converts it easily on 22 minutes. However, three minutes later, Redondo has us level when he picks up the pieces from Adami’s tackle on McClenahan and thunders a low drive past Di Guiseppe. Vidal keeps us in the match with a fine save from Andriy Shevchenko a few moments later, and that about wraps it up for the first half.

I’m fairly pleased with our first half, because we certainly held our own. What I’d like in the second half is a few more risks being taken and perhaps we score a goal or two. Redondo duly delivers on 52 minutes when he picks up the loose ball from Morán’s knock-on, and bends a long shot past the AC Milan keeper! icon_smile.gif On 61 minutes, Notman makes the points safe when he scores a with a spectacular rocket from 45 yards that fizzes past Di Guiseppe! icon_biggrin.gif Iaquinta tries to replicate that feat on 66 minutes, but Vidal is perfectly placed to hold onto the shot, and a few moments later, Fattori hits the post. Redondo might have made it 4-1 but his header drifts wide of the mark. Still, I’ll take the 3-1 victory! icon_biggrin.gif

AC Milan (4-1-2-1-2): Di Guiseppe; Coco, Iriekpen, Conteh (Centofanti 66), Adami (Castromán 75); Lafortezza; Alex, Ambrosini (Manso 60); Shevchenko ©; Fattori, Iaquinta.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Rønning, Hakala, McClenahan, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Garrido; Morán (Hernández 71); Redondo, Notman.

Final score: AC Milan 1:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Iván Vidal

The victory pushes us to the top of Group H with six points from three games. AC Milan have the same amount of points, but trail us on goal difference.

26th of September 2007

Spartak Moskva causes an upset in Group C by beating Barcelona 3-0 in the Nou Camp. A goal to Khokhlov and a brace to Alexandr Shirko sunk Barcelona, and leaves the Spanish club tied with Spartak and Turkish club Galatasaray on six points after three games.

I’m informed by Villarreal that Javier López Vallejo has injured himself and will not be fit for our game with Israel. So I remove him from the squad and call up Real Madrid’s Iker Casillas, who has been in very good form so far this season.

28th of September 2007

I’m forced to haul Elias Krantz into my office after Romário reported that the Swede turned up late for training this afternoon and looked distinctly the worse for wear after a night on the turps. I sit him down and tell him in no uncertain terms that while Portugal might have lower standards of its players, here at the champion club of Spain and Europe, we expect our players to turn up to training on time and give one hundred percent for the club. The situation is made particularly worse given that our next opponent is fierce rival Barcelona, and I need as many fit bodies available to select my eleven from as possible. He was certainly in the mix, but while he acknowledges that his behaviour was unacceptable and he wants to lift his game, I don’t think I can pick him now for this weekend’s game.

29th of September 2007

I note with envy that Norwegian midfielder/playmaker Christer George moved from Bayern München to Roma for £13.25 million. I can still only dream of signing players with the quality that Christer possesses.

30th of September 2007

“… Hours before kick-off in Cartagonova’s Primera Liga match with Barcelona, Señor Dixie Flatline announced that his club will sign Spanish international full-back César from Osasuna for a cut-price £2.5 million. The former Real Madrid defender was capped by Señor Flatline at the start of Spain’s campaign for Euro 2008, making his debut against Denmark. The catalyst for the move was apparently a training ground bust-up with Brazilian striker Jurandir which has left César looking for a new club. Señor Flatline confirmed that Cartagonova had been in negotiations with the full-back for the last fortnight, but only today did the two parties agree. César has signed a three year contract that will take him to the age of 30. A strong, powerful defender with a vicious tackle, César has made his name at Osasuna after not breaking into the Real Madrid first eleven on a regular basis. The player himself was pleased to be joining the Spanish champion in the winter and with Spanish international Ballesteros and U-21 international César Cabrera also in the squad, Cartagonova certainly has built its defence in the last couple of seasons.â€

Primera Liga - Game 4: Cartagonova v Barcelona

It’s a frantic start to the game with Redondo trying his luck on 3 minutes, but Laínez’s save sees the ball go to the feet of Bardaro, and the Argentine’s long range strike is well-saved by Vidal. But the pace quickly cools in the hot September afternoon, but when it picks up, it is in Barcelona’s favour as Verón’s pass finds Ronaldo in the clear, and the Brazilian striker does the rest - on the second attempt after 33 minutes. icon_frown.gif He could have doubled Barcelona’s lead three minutes later, but his powerful header is fortunately off-target. Bardaro doesn’t have much luck a few moments later, but Redondo’s chance of scoring the equaliser goes begging when Laínez saves his shot.

Barcelona keeps up the pressure in the opening stanza of the second half as Bardaro tests Vidal with a swerving fast shot, but my captain is up to the task. Verón misses the mark from the resulting corner, but we’re certainly rocking. I bring Michel and Morán, the two old heads of the squad, off for Rønning and Tanem respectively, and we immediately look a more impressive team, although Vidal does need to deal with a rampant Ronaldo. However, the tide turns on 63 minutes when Redondo’s cross is nodded down to Notman by Tanem, and Nesta falls for the bait, fouling the Scotsman inside the area. I hold my breath, as Redondo hasn’t had the best of luck with penalties in the past, but he doesn’t let us down, and we’re back in the game. Eight minutes later, we have the lead as McClenahan unleashes a 40 yard pass that lands perfectly on the head of Notman, who out-jumps Laínez to the cross! icon_smile.gif While there are a few more hairy moments for Vidal to deal with, particularly from Verón, we finally impose our will on the game and in the last 15 minutes, we could have scored a couple more, but for Laínez’s interventions. We feel very happy in the dressing room after the game, as we continue our charge up the ladder.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Hakala, McClenahan, Ballesteros; Michel (Rønning 56), Gavião, Garrido; Morán (Tanem 56); Redondo, Notman.

Barcelona (4-3-2-1): Laínez; Zanetti, André Luiz, Nesta (Cannavaro 66), Varela; Brighi (Haaland 88), Vicente, Gerard ©; Verón, Ronaldo; Bardaro.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Barcelona

MoM - Iván Vidal

I’m informed by Racing Santander officials that Diego was injured in their game today and won’t be right for Spain’s visit to Israel. I deliberate long and hard over who should replace him, and Juan Hernández was unfortunate that he wasn’t given the nod. In the end, I decide to give Mista of Deportivo La Coruña the opportunity to build on his solitary cap for Spain. He’s been in good form so far this season and deserves the chance, I think.

2nd of October 2007

In the space of just a few hours, two football players suffer injuries that put their very careers at risk. In Portugal, Seixal keeper Hugo Calha damaged cruciate ligaments which puts him on the shelf for at least 11 months. But Finland will rue the damage done to their star striker Matti Santahuhta of Borussia Moechengladbach, who practically tore his knee away from his leg bones and will need an estimated 18 months recuperation time before he can even think about kicking a ball. icon_frown.gificon_eek.gif

6th of October 2007

Euro 2008 Qualifier - Group 9, Game 10: Israel v Spain

This is the crunch game I tried to avoid, but the loss to the Ukraine earlier in the campaign and their upturn in fortunes sees us needing to score at least a point from this game to ensure that we go through to Scotland and Wales directly. But we play an atrocious game. From the moment that Diego Ribera missed an easy shot on 9 minutes, through the 17th minute when the referee denies us a perfectly valid penalty, and 22 minutes when Angulo’s goal is ruled out for off-side against Gerard, I’m very nervous. And I have good reason to be as on 40 minutes Israel take a shock lead with Ginzburg scoring from a spectacular bicycle kick. At the moment, my strikers couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from point blank range, and I’m increasingly unhappy with their poor performance. Not even the captain, Raúl, seems to have escaped the affliction that has particularly crippled Diego Ribera.

I tear strips off the players at the half-time break. This is no time for half-measures, and frankly, our play has been so pitiful that if we had been playing a well-credentialed country instead of the respectable Israel, we would have been pulverised. Is this the first sign of Spain’s famous penchant for choking in the big time matches appearing? Diego Ribera finally puts a shot on target at his fourth attempt on 49 minutes, but Nir Davidovic saves it comfortably. Ballesteros gets forward and tries his luck on 64 minutes, but to no avail, and I’m becoming desperate. Joseba Llorente replaces Ribera on 66 minutes, just after Gerard sent a shot flying over the bar. On 76 minutes, his volley clears the cross-bar comfortably and on 79 minutes, Raúl hits it with a thumping header. At this point in time, the Ukraine are in top position as they lead 3-1 against Malta. We need a goal, and we need it now. I take off the disappointing César and replace him with Jaime Garrido, and switch Spain’s formation to a radical 3-3-1-3 to try to put the pressure on Israel’s defence to crack. Garrido tees up Llorente, but the Real Sociedad striker misses. But the pressure on us is released when Raúl rises to the occasion as he has had so many times previously. He gets the ball passed to his feet by Vicente, and then takes off, weaving and jinking his way through the heart of Israel’s defence. I hold my breath, hoping against hope, and it comes - the PSG striker uses his trusty left foot to smash a drive into the goal and a stake through the heart of all Ukrainian fans! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif It is the most important goal scored under my rule, except perhaps the goals that sealed the championships last season, but the first part of my job is done.

Israel (5-3-2): Davidovic ©; Tal, Benado (Tal 85), Hilel, Halfon (Tal 60), Gershon; Abarjil, Ginzburg, Benayoun; Katan, Oved.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): César Laínez; Borja, Iván Amaya, César (Garrido 81), Ballesteros; Gavião; Vicente, Angulo; Gerard; Raúl ©, Diego Ribera (Llorente 66).

Final score: Israel 1:1 Spain

MoM - Raúl

In the end, we scrape through to qualify automatically by dint of a greater amount of goals scored, which meant that we have a better goal difference than the Ukraine, even though we both scored 23 points from 10 games. So, the final table from Group 9 looks like this:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Q Spain 10 4 1 0 17 6 3 1 1 13 7 23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Pl Ukraine 10 5 0 0 16 5 2 2 1 8 6 23

3rd Denmark 10 2 2 1 13 6 2 1 2 7 8 15

4th Israel 10 2 2 1 9 5 2 1 2 12 13 15

5th Malta 10 1 1 3 7 10 1 1 3 6 11 8

6th San Marino 10 0 0 5 2 14 0 0 5 0 19 0

</pre>

In Group 1, Bosnia blew its slim chance of snatching second place behind Germany when it went down 2-1 to Portugal, who still finished last thanks to Northern Ireland’s 1-0 victory over Estonia. In Group 2, a brace and the man of the match award to Cartagonova’s Kristian Tanem helped Norway, who also played Per Vener Rønning, to thrash Faeroe Isles 5-0 away from home. Norway finished three points clear of the fast finishing France, who defeated a very disappointing Finland 4-1 in Stade de France. Cartagonova’s Jukka Hakala was sent off in Finland’s defeat. In a game that meant little, Turkey and Armenia drew 2-2. Group 3 had already been decided before the final round, and as a result, two lacklustre games were played. Hungary defeated Bulgaria 1-0, while Slovakia and Moldova shared the spoils in a 1-1 draw. Italy and Russia couldn’t be separated in Group 4, as both countries finished on 23 points from 10 games. Both automatically qualify for Euro 2008. Russia defeated Andorra 3-1 away from home, while a goal to Antonio Cassano allowed Italy to defeat Georgia in Roma. In the other Group 4 game, Cyprus defeated Slovenia 2-1.

Poland took automatic qualification away from the Netherlands after they defeated Belgium, featuring Cartagonova’s Jean-François Gillet in goal, 3-0 in Chorzow. In the other game from Group 5, Latvia and Lithuania drew 1-1. In Group 6, Ireland blew any chance it might have had of finishing first ahead of great rival England when it lost 3-2 to Romania. The Irish led 2-0 at half-time, but three goals to Romania in the space of 15 minutes saw the Romanians take the victory. Belarus defeated Luxembourg 2-0. In Group 7, the top two nations, Albania and Greece, drew 0-0 in Tirane. Iceland defeated the Czech Republic 1-0 while Sweden won 3-0 against Liechtenstein. In Group 8, Austria finished one point clear of Yugoslavia on top of the ladder after winning its last match against Switzerland. In the other game, FYROM defeated Azerbaijan 1-0 in Baku.

Finally, to Group 9, and Spain needed a last-gasp equaliser from captain Raúl to take home that crucial point that saw them automatically qualify. The Ukraine kept the pressure on with an expected 3-1 victory over Malta, although the Maltese took an early shock lead. Denmark ended its campaign on a high with a 4-0 victory over San Marino - Cartagonova’s Martin Smith participated for the Danes, while Ballesteros, Gavião and Jaime Garrido were selected for Spain.

So, the qualifiers so far for Euro 2008 include Scotland and Wales as host nations. Croatia, Albania, Norway, Italy, Poland, England, Austria and Spain won their groups, while Russia was the best of the runners-up. The playoffs pit Ireland against the Netherlands, France against the Ukraine, Greece take on Yugoslavia and Bulgaria face Estonia. The first leg takes place on 10th of November 2007.

Portugal and Turkey announce that they have fired their managers for not managing to put their countries into Euro 2008.

7th of October 2007

Belgium and Sweden follow the example set by Portugal and Turkey in firing their managers today.

13th of October 2007

I’m suddenly deluged on this Saturday morning by bids for Jukka Hakala. Barcelona and Real Madrid offer me £4 million for the Finnish international defender. Real Betis decides to trump its rivals for the signature of Hakala, by making an offer of £4.4 million for him. I immediately demand £6.5 million from all the suitors.

Primera Liga - Game 5: Espanyol v Cartagonova

Our last match against Barcelona’s second club was memorable because a 3-3 draw helped us secure the club’s first ever Primera Liga championship. But I still remember that game for a terrible defensive performance in which we blew a sizable lead and we barely escaped with a point. So I emphasise that defence should be particularly strong in this afternoon’s defence. Unfortunately, only Jukka Hakala decides to take any notice of me, and after we have an early spell of pressure upon Esteban in goal for Espanyol including a goal that José Manuel Redondo thinks he has scored only to have it ruled out (legitimately) for off-side against Gavião, Antonio Soldevilla punishes our lax defence with Espanyol’s first goal on 36 minutes. Redondo put a shot wide, and from the goal kick, Thiago Motta finds Abreu lurking with intent in our area. The striker nods it down to Tamudo, who passes it back. Ballesteros manages to clear the ball away from Abreu’s feet, but Soldevilla is there to pick up the pieces and punish us. icon_frown.gif Seven minutes later, and a simple move from Espanyol unpicks our defence for the second time. Fábio Aurélio crosses the ball to the back post where Abreu outjumps McClenahan and sends the header into the far corner beyond the reach of Vidal. icon_mad.gif Notman hits a shot wide on the stroke of half-time, and the break finds me very unhappy with the side’s first half performance, or lack thereof.

Half in frustration five minutes into the second half, Jukka Hakala gives away a foul on Raúl Tamudo, and Abreu converts the free kick. icon_mad.gif Three shots on target, three goals. I’m going to have strong words with my keeper after this game, that’s for sure. On 65 minutes, I bite the bullet and take off McClenahan and the woefully ineffective Garrido for Ameobi and Clegg, and I shuffle the side into a 3-3-1-3 formation to try to put pressure on Espanyol. It immediately works as Michel gathers up the ball from Pochettino’s clearance and dribbles his way into the Espanyol box, before shooting low and hard on his trusty left foot. We win a spate of free kicks, and on 80 minutes, Pochettino is sent from the field after picking up two yellow cards, but Espanyol are good value for their victory, and we deserve to lose today.

Espanyol (1-2-5-2): Esteban; Rotchen; Juanma, Pochettino ©; Fábio Aurélio, Sergio, Thiago Motta, Soldevilla (Quiñónez 61), Cuevas; Abreu, Tamudo.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Hakala, McClenahan (Ameobi 65), Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Garrido (Clegg 65); Morán; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Espanyol 3:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Sebastián Abreu

The loss drops us back to eighth position and we may drop even further down the ladder as the rest of the league plays tomorrow.

As promised, I have some strong words with both Iván Vidal and Jaime Garrido. They both accept their warning without much to say, particularly no apology for their shocking games. To make matters worse, the club has to shell out £2.6 million to Real Betis to finalise the payments on the Garrido deal.

In the evening, I’m informed that Cartagonova will travel to Tokyo to play Argentinos in the World Club Cup on 4th of December 2007.

“… News from the Netherlands, as Ajax Amsterdam signed veteran Uruguayan playmaker Ãlvaro Recoba for £8 million from Italian club Roma today…â€

14th of October 2007

We end this round in 9th position. Real Madrid sits astride the division on 16 points after seven games, but Celta Vigo trails only on goal difference. Numancia is the early season surprise packet, trailing by just two points.

I’m warned in the evening by Romário over the fitness of Jukka Hakala, but I decide to not take any action against the big Finn, as he was our best player yesterday and I don’t want to give him any reasons for leaving the club apart from those he already has. Not long afterwards, I’m contacted by the media and questioned over just why I thought that Trent McClenahan would be a good acquisition for Cartagonova. This is the first time in seven seasons that I’ve been forced to defend a player’s poor form, and while Trent has taken time to settle here in Spain, I don’t think he has played all that badly, although he was at fault for Espanyol’s second goal yesterday. But I’m furious to hear that apparently the doubts come from within the club. This means that somebody is deliberately attempting to undermine my authority at the club, and that is something I won’t stand for. After I angrily defend McClenahan, I decide to start a witch-hunt to try to ferret out who might be plotting against me. All I can say is watch this space… icon_wink.gif

I’m gratified to see, however, that the fans and the President, Señor Florentino Manzano publicly back me over my defence of McClenahan. Now all that is needed is for the boy to start producing the goods on the pitch, although Shimon Gershon’s return to full fitness may make it difficult for him.

15th of October 2007

I’m shocked to see Barcelona and Real Madrid happily meet my terms for Jukka Hakala. So I decide to double-cross my rivals and reject both bids on the grounds that I’m not willing to sell a key player to a rival club. They’re not happy, to say the least, but this is football, Señor Flatline style. Real Betis pulls out of the race for him, however. As you might expect, Jukka Hakala is not happy to be denied a chance to play for one of Spain’s two biggest clubs.

16th of October 2007

Celta Vigo offers to pay £8.5 million to Cartagonova, split into £6.25 million over six months and £2.3 million if he plays 20 league games for Jukka Hakala. I want it all to be paid at once.

“… It doesn’t happen very often, so when it does, it usually makes headlines. Today’s transfer of former Inter Milan defender Roberto Cardinale to fierce cross-town rival AC Milan for £10 million is no surprise. Cardinale spent just over four seasons at Inter Milan after beginning his career with Salernitana. Surprisingly for a player with his undoubted talent for defending, he has only been capped twice by Italy, and no doubt he will hope that his move to AC Milan will increase his chances of playing for his country in the forthcoming Euro 2008.â€

17th of October 2007

European Champions' League - Phase 1, Group H, Game 4: Cartagonova v AC Milan

We win an early free kick when Conteh pays too much attention to Redondo on 4 minutes, and Morán warms up Abbiati’s reflexes with a good free kick. But the match remains in a torpor until the half hour mark is reached, when Shevchenko tries to lead by example when he heads Alvarez’s cross just over the bar. A few moments later, Manso also sends a shot fizzing just over the bar, and on 39 minutes the same player tests Vidal for the first time when he holds off his marker long enough to reach Shevchenko’s cross. But we take some momentum into the half-time break when Michel’s cross is perfectly headed by Redondo, but unfortunately Abbiati is in the right place to stop the striker’s header from scoring the opening goal.

We try a little too hard to find the perfect opening straight after the break, and AC Milan desperately clear the ball away before Notman can pull the trigger. But Notman finally shakes off his close-checking marker when on 48 minutes, he jinks his way past Coco and hits a speculative shot past Abbiati! icon_smile.gif Four minutes later, Cabrera earns his pay by putting the pressure on Manso, who in turn misses his chance to equalise. Then Cabrera feeds Redondo, but the striker misses the chance to extend our lead. Just after the hour mark, however, we do extend our lead, when Abbiati’s finger-tip save by Morán is turned in by Gavião for his first goal of the season! icon_smile.gif Vidal crushes Shevchenko’s hopes of halving our lead two minutes later when he pulls off a miraculous save from the Ukrainian’s fierce drive. I decide on 68 minutes to pull off Redondo, who missed a few more chances before I decide to substitute him, and replace him with Kristian Tanem, who has hit a rich vein of scoring for Norway recently. In the meantime, Gavião just misses capping a brilliant run through the heart of AC Milan’s defence when he puts his shot wide of the goal. icon_frown.gif But Tanem scores our third goal on 74 minutes when he takes Notman’s pass in his stride and thunders a rasping drive into the bottom right corner of Abbiati’s net. But Vidal will fail to earn a clean sheet bonus when Manso scores a consolation goal two minutes from time.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, McClenahan, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Garrido; Morán; Redondo (Tanem 68), Notman.

AC Milan (4-1-2-1-2): Abbiati; Coco, Iriekpen, Conteh, Adami; Ambrosini; Alvarez, Lafortezza (Sacchetti 65); Manso; Shevchenko, Iaquinta.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 AC Milan

MoM - Alex Notman

In the other game from Group H, IFK Göteburg thrashes Neftchi 5-1. If we beat the Swedish club in the next game day, we will book qualification to the second phase.

18th of October 2007

I wake up to share breakfast with two very interesting bids for two important players. Real Madrid offers me £8.5 million for Jukka Hakala. I decide that an extra £725,000 would be the extra on top that swings the deal for me. Speaking of the big Finn, his agent is on the radio this morning, and says that his client will soon agree to a deal to move to Barcelona and the club will receive £6.5 million for his sale. I still want the Finn as part of my squad, so I issue a denial that he will be moving anywhere soon. And finally in the Hakala saga, Celta Vigo gives up the chase for him. In the meantime, Atlético Madrid offers me £3.1 million for Gavião. They have to be joking.

20th of October 2007

Real Madrid gives up on Jukka Hakala, and now the player is very unhappy, apparently telling people around the club that he believes that I’m deliberately obstructing any chance he might have of leaving the club and furthering his career. All I’m trying to do is find the right price for him.

Primera Liga - Game 6: Osasuna v Cartagonova

I feel aggrieved and shocked when the referee orders César Cabrera from the field after just five minutes for a professional foul on Osasuna striker Oktay. Sure, there may have been a shove, but I didn’t think that Cabrera was the last man. Anyway, I decide to stick to the same formation and it seems to work quite well as Michel hits a shot against the cross-bar on 9 minutes and with Hakala and Gershon on top of things at the back, Notman’s pass finds Morán but the veteran midfielder’s shot is saved by Andrés Palop on 18 minutes. Garrido powers down the right side of midfield and crosses the ball ahead of Redondo, who stoops to power a header towards goal, but it drifts hopelessly wide on 21 minutes. That basically wraps it up for the first half, but three minutes into the second half, Redondo blows the game wide open when he effortlessly controls Gavião’s defence-splitting pass and tucks it calmly beneath Palop’s spread-eagled legs. Six minutes later, and the game is buried as Redondo times his run to perfection to take Garrido’s pass in his stride and thump a rasping drive into the back of the net! icon_biggrin.gif That marked his 200th career goal! icon_cool.gif

Michel almost makes it 3-0 on 66 minutes, but Palop does well to save the winger’s shot, and then four minutes later, Notman and Morán both miss simple chances. Notman hits the post on 73 minutes and then his shot is saved by Palop two minutes later. Peralta gives Vidal something to think about on 89 minutes, but the captain deals with it calmly enough and in injury time, Garrido also hits the post.

Osasuna (3-5-2): Palop; Ibán Pérez, Kuffour, Mateo ©; Vítor Lima, Dani (Ricardinho 59), Flávio Conceição, Pandolfi (Manuel Canabal 66), Pablo Lago; Peralta, Oktay (Jurandir 52).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Garrido; Morán (Clegg 74); Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Osasuna 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Gavião

Cabrera is automatically suspended for one match for his red card offence, for which I slap an official warning on, just to keep the defender on his toes. To his credit, the young Spaniard takes it on the chin and promises to improve his temperament.

I’m told that Señor Manzano and his cronies, I mean of course fellow directors of Cartagonova, are very pleased by our performance against Osasuna.

Dixie Flatline

The World Cup takes a break for the day, so let's go back to Cartagena!

21st of October 2007

Yesterday’s victory only lifts us one place into tenth position on the Primera Liga ladder, but we have only played six games compared to the clubs around us who have played either eight or nine games.

The Spanish FA adds two further games to the ban for Cabrera after reviewing video tape of the incident. I think they’re wrong, but what do I know?

22nd of October 2007

I lose squad member Moustapha Keità for a month when he strains his calf muscle in training this evening.

23rd of October 2007

European Champions' League - Phase 1, Group H, Game 5: Cartagonova v IFK Göteburg

With our victory over AC Milan tucked under our belts, this should be the prime opportunity to book for ourselves a spot in the second group phase. However, excellent keeping from IFK Göteburg goalkeeper Slavash Bashiri, poor finishing from Alex Notman and José Manuel Redondo, plus the dismissal of Kristian Tanem after 57 minutes, left us frustrated and me extremely annoyed by the end of the game. To be truthful, if the Swedes had been a little more clinical in their finishing, we would have been staring at an upset loss. As it is, I’m not happy, and we have to face an exhausting trip across the continent to Baku to get a result in the next match day. Redondo could have put us on our way as early as the 7th minute, but his header is well saved by Bashiri. Tanem almost puts us into the lead on 42 minutes, but his fierce drive is again well saved by Bashiri, and we enter the break still locked together at 0-0.

Redondo’s heading has never been his strong suit, and I’m not surprised to see him miss a chance on 53 minutes that somebody perhaps like Christian Vieri would have eaten for dinner, especially in his prime. Tanem then loses his head and tries a poorly-timed two-footed tackle on Thureborn that leaves the referee with no choice but to flourish the red card. My players make a half-hearted attempt at a protest, but everybody knows the jig is up and Tanem has to go. It gives IFK Göteburg some heart and as I substitute Clegg for Gavião, who was meant to rest in this game, they start to look even more dangerous than previously. Redin hits the cross-bar on 69 minutes and while Morán heads towards goal, there is Bashiri again to deny him. Heed misses with a simple header on 74 minutes, and Morán is again foiled by excellent keeping from Bashiri. On 88 minutes, Morán plays a wily pass into the path of Redondo, but the striker can’t break down Bashiri’s stubborn resistance and we rue Notman’s profligacy in injury time when he has one last chance to win it for us, but misses over the bar.

Astonishingly, Hakala racks up 72 completed passes from 79 attempted passes, while Gershon has 51 completed passes from 55 attempts.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel, Tanem, Morán; Clegg (Gavião 57); Redondo, Notman.

IFK Göteburg (5-3-2): Bashiri; Skalin, Nilsson, Prochazka ©, Kenstanlis (Elgström 66), Jensen (Lagemyr 59); Ströbeck (Heed 53), Thureborn, Hysén; Andersson, Redin.

Final score: Cartagonova 0:0 IFK Göteburg

MoM - Slavash Bashiri

AC Milan does the expected and defeats Neftchi, so entering into the last match day for the first group phase, we lead AC Milan by a point, with IFK Göteburg a further point behind. We travel to Baku, as I said, to play Neftchi, and AC Milan goes to Sweden.

I warn Tanem for his dismissal and he accepts it.

The game sets a new record attendance mark of 21,312 people, but doesn’t break the record for gate receipts.

24th of October 2007

The latest chapter in the long-running Hakala saga opens this morning when Barcelona offers me £9.25 million for the big Finnish defender. I’m growing weary of the interminable negotiations over his services, not to mention his constant whingeing about how I’m holding him back. I don’t think I’ll be able to persuade Barcelona to offer me £10 million for him, and I think actually that £9.25 million is quite reasonable, given that we only paid Venezia £1.7 million for him at the start of last season. There is no way he will ever sign a new contract for us, and I don’t want to risk losing him on a free transfer at the end of next season, not to mention the fact that he is still upsetting a couple of key members in my squad. I think the pros of selling him at Christmas outweigh the cons of selling him, so I decide to accept the offer. I think that Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer nearly fell off the chair when I told him my decision so long have we been haggling over Hakala.

Barcelona celebrates the news by spanking Galatasaray 4-0 in Istanbul, with Cristian Bardaro scoring all four goals in a half hour period. But it was bad news for Celta Vigo as they went down 4-0 to NK Dinamo in Zagreb, and Feyenoord crushed Fiorentina 5-1 in the same group.

As I suspect, Jukka Hakala is delighted to agree terms with Barcelona, and the transfer is confirmed to go through on the 15th of December 2007.

“… There is big news from Barcelona today as Barcelona manager, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer announced that Cartagonova and Finnish international defender Jukka Hakala will join the Catalan club from 15th of December 2007 for an undisclosed fee, although it is rumoured that it is in the vicinity of £9.25 million. It brings to end a long-running saga over the future of the 29 year old, who has been capped 42 times by his country. After joining Cartagonova from Italian team Venezia following World Cup 2006, he came to the attention of Cartagonova’s rivals, Barcelona and Real Madrid following some stirling displays at the heart of their defence. Playing 53 times last season in all competitions, Hakala snared Primera Liga and European Champions' League winners’ medals and was generally regarded by those connected with the club, along with the emergence of Alex Notman as a premier striker, to be the difference that helped Cartagonova achieve such outstanding success. However, it became clear early on that the Finn saw this phase of his career only as a short term stepping stone to more glamorous clubs such as Barcelona and Real Madrid, and he quickly became unhappy when Cartagonova’s manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, continued to negotiate his sale price with his suitors. It is believed by those close to the club that on several occasions Señor Flatline asked for £10 million for Hakala, but his terms were continually rebuffed by Barcelona and Real Madrid. However, Barcelona finally have landed their man…â€

26th of October 2007

I have strong words with Gavião and his agent after the Spanish international midfielder’s agent blabs to the press that Villarreal will sign his client in a move worth only £2.2 million. That’s practically defamatory, since it slights my reputation that I would sell one of the best midfielders in the country to a struggling club for what is really loose change.

28th of October 2007

Primera Liga - Game 7: Cartagonova v Celta Vigo

This should be a good game, and we need the points to make up some ground on the leading bunch, of which Celta Vigo is one of those clubs. I make some changes, as McClenahan, Gavião and Clegg come in for the unfit Hakala, Tanem and Morán. Things begin slowly, however, and the first shot is fired in anger by Marcelo Gallardo on 10 minutes when McClenahan fouls Benni McCarthy. But the veteran Argentine midfielder hits the shot over the bar. Five minutes later, Redondo has our first opportunity, but Asper saves his header. We should have had a penalty a moment later when Mauricio Astudillo knocks Redondo over in the box, but the referee decides not to blow his whistle. Vidal is kept on his toes by another shot from McCarthy, but we take the lead when on 20 minutes George Clegg jinks his way through the Celta Vigo defence, including Xavi and Tuzzio, before slamming an unstoppable shot past Asper! icon_smile.gif

However, on 30 minutes Celta Vigo are level when Gallardo drives the ball ahead of McCarthy and before my defenders can react, the South African puts the ball in our net. icon_frown.gif Three minutes later, and Garrido rattles the cross bar with a fierce drive from distance and then Clegg forces Asper into a good save on 35 minutes. But a quick breakaway means that Vidal has to pull off a double save to deny McCarthy and Gustavo López, while Gallardo tries his luck on 42 minutes. Gavião is lucky to not be sent off for two yellow cards when he commits a serious foul near our goal but Vidal manages to hold onto López’s shot.

Gavião’s terrible first half sees him replaced by Tanem to begin the second half. But his opposite number, Xavi, orchestrates McCarthy’s first shot on target for the second half. Fortunately, Vidal is good enough to stop the South African’s header and hold onto the ball as it tries to squirm away. A couple of moments later, Notman sees a goal-bound header pushed away by Asper and Tuzzio completes the clearance. It’s real end to end stuff as Gustavo López races away from Ballesteros and tries his luck only to see Vidal push the ball away. McClenahan coolly clears it to Garrido on the right wing, and the Spanish international puts on a display of dribbling as he leaves Casquero, Astudillo and Gallardo in the dust and it needs an excellent covering tackle from Quique Ãlvarez to bring the run to a halt. It brings the crowd alive, but the next few moments belong to Celta as they continue to bombard Vidal. However, the Spanish keeper deals with everything quite comfortably and on 64 minutes, we break away from Celta Vigo with Redondo sidestepping Tuzzio before passing towards Notman. The big Scot looks up and measures the angles, but unfortunately only hits it wide of the mark. That ends his contribution for the day as Ameobi replaces him.

Redondo forces a corner on 75 minutes with a strong header that needs a good save from Asper. Garrido sends the corner straight into the arms of the Swedish keeper, but his distribution is poor and the ball is picked up by Clegg, who feeds Redondo. The striker unleashes a thunderbolt that Asper can’t hold onto, and Clegg reacts quickest to turn in the rebound on 76 minutes! icon_smile.gif The last few moments of the game belong to us as Redondo is fouled by Marchena and Garrido slams the free kick against the post with Asper looking on in hope. Redondo then tests the Swede’s reflexes with another header, but he can’t put his name on the score sheet while Tanem has the last meaningful chance of the game. However, Asper denies him to keep the scoreline respectable for Celta Vigo.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Gershon, McClenahan, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião (Tanem 46), Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman (Ameobi 74).

Celta Vigo (4-3-2-1): Asper; Domínguez, Quique Ãlvarez, Marchena, Tuzzio; Xavi, Astudillo, Casquero; Gustavo López, Gallardo; McCarthy.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Celta Vigo

MoM - George Clegg

Clegg and Redondo are named in the Team of the Week’s starting eleven, as the victory pushes us into seventh place on the Primera Liga ladder with five wins from seven games.

29th of October 2007

On Spain’s version of “Talking Footyâ€, Emilio Butragueno praises the aerial prowess and devastating pace of Alex Notman. I’m on the show at the time, and I can’t help but agree with the Spanish master striker’s assessment of my main man. Let’s hope that my public confidence in the big Scotsman can help him find his scoring touch again. The switchboard is deluged by delighted Cartagonova supporters happy to support my statement in relation to Notman, while the player himself thanks me for my vote of confidence in his abilities.

31st of October 2007

With international friendlies in a fortnight, the call-ups are made this evening. I make a couple of changes to the side, omitting Elche’s Iván Javier Cuadrado, and Athletic Bilbao’s Jorge Pérez and drafting in Alavés’ José and Racing Santander’s Diego. That means I call up Iván Vidal, Ballesteros, Gavio and Jaime Garrido, but I must say that since Gerard’s fitness is somewhat of a concern that I seriously considered both José Manuel Redondo and Juan Hernández as possible selections for the squad. The full squad is:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (28 y/o, ESP 0 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (30 y/o, ESP 8 caps, GK): Barcelona

Iker Casillas (26 y/o, ESP 3 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Defenders

Ballesteros (32 y/o, ESP 12 caps, D/DM RC): Cartagonova

César (27 y/o, ESP 5 caps, D RL): Osasuna

Jordi Ferrón (29 y/o, ESP 8 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Real Zaragoza

Borja (29 y/o, ESP 15 caps, D LC): Valencia

Juanma (30 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D LC): Espanyol

Iván Amaya (28 y/o, ESP 39 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (29 y/o, ESP 49 caps, 1 goal, D C): PSV Eindhoven

José (26 y/o, ESP 0 caps, D C): Alavés

Carlos Marchena (28 y/o, ESP 5 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

Artur (26 y/o, ESP 2 cap, DM RC): Villarreal

Gavião (27 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 1 goal, DM C): Cartagonova

Diego (28 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 3 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Miguel Ãngel Angulo (30 y/o, ESP 43 caps, 6 goals, AM/F RC): Valencia

Joseba Etxeberría (29 y/o, ESP 67 caps, 18 goals, AM/F RC): Athletic Bilbao

Jaime Garrido (23 y/o, ESP 6 caps, 5 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (22 y/o, ESP 4 caps, AM/F RC): Espanyol

Mista (28 y/o, ESP 1 cap, 1 goal, AM/F LC): Deportivo La Coruña

Vicente (26 y/o, ESP 57 caps, 16 goals, AM/F LC): Roma

Gerard (28 y/o, ESP 42 caps, 7 goals, AM C): Barcelona

Forwards

Raúl (30 y/o, ESP 101 caps, 51 goals, AM/F LC): Paris-Saint-Germain

Diego Ribera (30 y/o, ESP 11 caps, 6 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (27 y/o, ESP 4 caps, 3 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Rubén Navarro (29 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 9 goals, S C): Bari

That means that four Cartagonova players will travel to Prague in a fortnight. In the meantime, Kevin Keegan includes George Clegg in his England squad to take on the Czech Republic. Hopefully soon George is rewarded for some excellent form by actually being capped for once! icon_smile.gif Norway calls up Kristian Tanem and Per Vener Rønning for its game against Russia. Sweden requires Bojan Djordjic for its match with Denmark, while the Danes take Daniel Jensen and Martin Smith for that game. Belgium calls up Jean-François Gillet to play Portugal, while Scotland includes Alex Notman for its friendly with Turkey. Finland wants Jukka Hakala to take on Belarus, while Israel select Shimon Gershon in its squad for its fixture with FYROM.

7th of November 2007

European Champions' League - Phase 1, Group H, Game 6: SC Neftchi Baku v Cartagonova

“… Cartagonova manager Señor Dixie Flatline has blasted UEFA, blaming his club’s uninspired 0-0 draw with Azerbaijani champion Neftchi in Baku upon interrupted and ill-prepared travel arrangements that meant that his squad did not arrive in Baku until just 12 hours before the crucial game. Cartagonova needed captain Iván Vidal to pull off some saves early in the game, but with the tired Gavião sitting on the bench their dynamic midfield could not exert the pressure Cartagonova is accustomed to through the game. George Clegg could have opened the scoring on 20 minutes, but the Neftchi keeper knocked the shot down and it was cleared away. Notman, buoyed by his last-minute equaliser against Alavés last weekend, tried his luck on 25 minutes, but again the Neftchi keeper came up trumps. Seven minutes before half-time, Rønning almost broke through, but once more Neftchi were indebted to their keeper for saving their skins.â€

“Señor Dixie Flatline brought on Juan Hernández for Clegg at the beginning of the second half, and on 60 minutes, he played in Notman, but the Scottish striker couldn’t find the breakthrough goal. Vidal beat away Sariev’s free kick on 66 minutes, while Garrido missed with a header on 71 minutes. From then on, both clubs concentrated on defence and it wasn’t until the final minutes or so that Hernández could spring the Neftchi defence to find Notman, but the pressure on the Scotsman told against him and Cartagonova finished the game scoreless. Señor Flatline was clearly unhappy with his club’s performance and allowed his emotions at UEFA to bubble over in the post-match press conference. He said that crossing the European continent was bad enough without delays at the airports and even lost luggage, and he claimed that UEFA was at fault for not organising a more efficient route to Baku. Señor Flatline declined to express an opinion on whether Azerbaijan should be part of Europe or Asia, but he did say that UEFA needs to resolve its transport problems in order to avoid such ridiculous situations occurring again in the future. UEFA declined to comment on Señor Flatline’s statements, saying that the focus should be on the European Champions' League.â€

Well, I’m not happy about how we played today. We did look very uninspired and very insipid. Notman had very little support from his fellow players while Vidal was needed too often for my liking. I was expecting to at least score a few goals, and perhaps even run up a cricket score, but to their credit Neftchi were organised in defence and they had a goalkeeper on top of his form. At least we weren’t dislodged from top place in the group after AC Milan and IFK Göteborg drew 0-0 in Sweden, which leaves us a point clear of AC Milan at the end of the first phase.

SC Neftchi Baku (5-3-2): Kopysc; Sritong-In, Kinsky, Manic, Malek (Sani 23), Paszulewicz; Marques de Oliveira, Sariev (Mitrakovic 69), Tanriverdiev ©; Lencle, Addukhov.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Rønning; Michel, Garrido; Clegg (Hernández 46); Redondo (Ameobi 72), Notman.

Final score: SC Neftchi Baku 0:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Johnny Kopysc

So, the final standings from the first group phase look like this:

1st Q Cartagonova ESP 6 2 1 0 6 1 1 1 1 4 3 11

2nd Q Milan ITA 6 2 0 1 5 4 1 1 1 2 3 10

3rd IFK Göteborg SWE 6 2 1 0 7 2 0 2 1 2 3 9

4th Neftchi AZE 6 0 2 1 1 2 0 0 3 1 10 2

</pre>

UEFA awards the club £1.2 million for successfully qualifying from the first group phase and then proceeds to draw us in a tough group with Feyenoord, Monaco and PSV. Real Madrid ends up in Group A with Inter Milan, Porto and Roma and Barcelona and Celta Vigo are both in Group D with AC Milan and Olympiakos. The games start in a fortnight.

Dixie Flatline

After another absorbing day from the World Cup, let's return to Cartagonova!

10th of November 2007

Euro 2008 play-offs are held today and Bulgaria hold a slender 1-0 lead after they needed Krasimir Chomakov’s penalty on 8 minutes to beat a stubborn Estonia in Sofia. The Ukraine will be favoured to qualify now at France’s expense after they defeated the former World Cup champion 2-1 at the Stade de France. Andriy Shevchenko gave the Ukrainians the lead on 48 minutes, but just when France thought they would escape with a draw thanks to Nicolas Anelka’s 89th minute equaliser, Shevchenko popped up again in injury time to score the winning goal. Yugoslavia scored twice in the space of three minutes to down Greece in Athens 2-0, while Edgar Davids’ goal for the Netherlands will see them take to Amsterdam a goal advantage over Ireland.

14th of November 2007

Friendly - Croatia v Spain

With qualification for Euro 2008 in the bag, I decide to experiment with the playing personnel for tonight’s game. I leave out over 100 caps of experience with Raúl relegated to the bench - he is replaced by Joseba Llorente in the starting eleven. Joseba Etxeberría is given a place in the starting eleven and the captain’s armband as he makes a return to the international fold. Cartagonova-bound César will give something to think about for Ballesteros as he takes his place on the right side of defence, while Alavés’ José makes his debut, partnering Celta Vigo’s Carlos Marchena. I also give a debut to Iván Vidal in goal, while Mista plays only his second game in Spain’s colours on the left wing more than three years after his first appearance. Francisco Javier Zubizaretta starts the game in the hole behind the two strikers in the last change I made to the eleven, as he nudges out Barcelona’s Gerard for that position. This also happens to be my 400th professional game in charge of a side - either Cartagonova or Spain.

And it is Zubizaretta who has the first opportunity to break the deadlock when on 7 minutes he volleys Llorente’s clever pass towards Croatia’s goal, but it flies well over the bar. Mista has better luck four minutes later when he is fed by Zubizaretta, but Butina in goal for Croatia keeps out his shot. Llorente powers through the Croatian defence on 22 minutes but his shot is inaccurate. Six minutes before half-time, Zubizaretta wastes another chance to break the deadlock, but the Espanyol’s forward’s fierce drive unluckily hits the cross-bar and goes over. icon_eek.gif Croatia get their only opportunity of the first half right on the stroke of half-time when the referee adjudges César to have fouled Deranja within sight of Vidal’s goal, but Djolonga’s shot hits the wall and is cleared by Gavião.

However, six minutes into the second half, the game takes a different complexion when the hitherto excellent José is shown a red card for two bookings when he fouls Balaban in front of the referee. Not wanting to risk having only three defenders at the back, I pull off Diego Ribera and replace him with Iván Amaya and reshape the formation so that Llorente is supported by Zubizaretta. Djolonga tries his luck at Vidal’s goal, but the Cartagonova keeper pushes it away and Marchena completes the clearance. Etxeberría threads a ball through the Croatian defence to find Zubizaretta in a great position, but the young forward still can’t hit the target as the Croatians put enough pressure on him to send the shot flying over the bar. However, on 67 minutes, substitute Jaime Garrido controls the corner, and finds Mista who flicks it on to Iván Amaya. The defender finds himself in the centre of the maelstrom in the box but has the presence of mind to toe-poke it towards goal. Unfortunately, Vranjes throws himself towards the shot and manages to block it off the line. However, the breakthrough we’ve threatened all match finally comes on 71 minutes when Gavião lobs in the clever pass for Llorente to thump home past the static Croatian keeper! icon_smile.gif It’s all we deserve, even accounting for José’s dismissal. Llorente almost doubles our lead on 79 minutes but his fierce drive just clears the bar. From Butina’s goal kick, Mista swerves a bending drive towards goal but again it dips wide of the mark. He does better three minutes later when he forces Butina into a good save, and Etxeberría also sees his shot saved by the Croatian keeper. Iván Vidal has another job to do with three minutes to go when he saves from Leko’s free kick but we end the game the stronger team when substitute Artur almost beats Butina with an excellent header from Garrido’s corner. I’m pleased with the result.

Croatia (3-3-2-2): Butina; Simic, Bosnjak (Vranic 63), Tudor; Djolonga (Leko 57), Biscan ©, Rukavina; Vranjes, Javorcic (Juric 51 (Drpic 75)); Deranja (Mikic 68), Balaban (Budan 57).

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Borja (Juanma 79), José, Carlos Marchena, César (Ballesteros 86); Gavião (Artur 79); Mista, Etxeberría ©; Zubizaretta (Garrido 63); Llorente (Diego 79), Ribera (Amaya 51).

Final score: Croatia 0:1 Spain

MoM - Tomislav Butina

So, four Cartagonova players played for Spain. In other friendly games, Jukka Hakala plays for Finland as they beat Belarus 3-1 in Minsk. A man of the match performance from Jean-François Gillet allowed Belgium to withstand enormous Portuguese pressure in Brussels to come out of the game with a 0-0 draw. Shimon Gershon earned his 44th cap for Israel in a 0-0 draw with FYROM. Per Vener Rønning and Kristian Tanem both played full games and big roles in Norway’s hard-fought 3-2 victory over Russia in Oslo. Alex Notman scored his tenth goal from 18 international appearances as Scotland trounced Turkey 3-0 in Glasgow. Martin Smith and off the bench Daniel Jensen both participated in a poor game for Denmark, as they crashed 3-0 to Sweden in Stockholm.

Bulgaria qualified for Euro 2008 after they won on the away goals rule. Dimitar Ivanov scored against Estonia after just three minutes, but when Ivaylo Ivanov was sent off and Joel Lindpere converted the penalty for Estonia, there was hope for the home side. Aleksander Saharov scored after 27 minutes, but Bulgaria stood firm to go through to Euro 2008. Newcastle United winger Richie Partridge became Ireland’s latest hero after he scored twice in the space of 9 minutes to send Ireland through to Euro 2008 at the expense of the Netherlands. But the Irish had to withstand a nervous injury time after Shay Given was sent off and Patrick Kluivert scored from the spot to make it 2-1 on the night. However, Partridge’s goals were enough for the Irish. The former world and European champion France crashed out alarmingly of contention when they were thrashed 4-1 on the night and 6-2 on aggregate by the Ukraine. Yourrassowski opened the scoring for the Ukraine on 10 minutes, and then Andriy Shevchenko scored a memorable hat-trick in 11 minutes to seal passage through for the Ukraine. Greece were in the end no match for Yugoslavia as Mateja Kezman’s 45th minute goal sealed a 3-0 aggregate victory for Yugoslavia.

So the full list of qualifiers reads as Scotland and Wales as co-hosts, Croatia, Albania, Norway, Italy, Poland, England, Austria, Spain, Germany, Russia, Bulgaria, Ireland, the Ukraine and Yugoslavia.

16th of November 2007

“… Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, announced this afternoon that Tottenham Hotspurs and English international midfielder Byron Bubb will join the Spanish champion on a Bosman free transfer from 19th of June 2007. Bubb rejected a contractual offer from his current club in favour of joining Cartagonova and will join George Clegg at the club. Señor Flatline has been searching for a replacement to Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua, who moved to Real Madrid at the start of the season, and the 25 year old winger may well be the answer. A player capable of running up and down the wing all day long, he is capable of threading a good pass to the forward and doesn’t mind having a shot when the chance is on.â€

18th of November 2007

Dutch coach Hans van Breukelen drops a bombshell on the morning of our game with Racing Santander as he announces to me in the pre-game preparations that he has been approached by Segoviana for the job as assistant manager. This club already looks doomed to be relegated from the Segunda Liga, so I have a deep, long chat with him about where he would prefer to be - a coach at the champion club in Spain and Europe, or regretting his move to a doomed club. So I make him a new offer which should hopefully make the other potential interested parties go away.

Primera Liga - Game 9: Cartagonova v Racing Santander

“… A tremendous hat-trick from Scottish international striker Alex Notman and another goal from winger Michel helped Cartagonova to an emphatic 4-1 victory over Racing Santander in front of a record 22,058 crowd. A simple, effective move starting from Lacruz at the back and involving George Clegg allowed Notman to thunder home a 30 yard strike after just five minutes. He almost did the same on 14 minutes, but Nuno, the Racing Santander keeper, managed to get down in time to turn the shot aside. Michel got a sighter on goal after 22 minutes when he gathered up Garrido’s knock-down but his blasted drive cleared the bar comfortably. However, six minutes later, he had the radar sights set perfectly when he skipped past Claudio Husaín and took the ball past Preciado before thumping home a low drive on 28 minutes. Racing Santander finally had a chance to pull a goal back six minutes before half-time when Butra avoided Gavião’s tackle. Vidal managed to stop his first attempt and before Butra could pull the trigger again, Hakala dove in with the relieving tackle. Two minutes later, Cartagonova held the whip hand when a clever one-two between Michel and Notman allowed the Scotsman to score his second goal of the game, and Cartagonova entered half-time with a three goal lead.â€

“With such a comfortable lead, it was little wonder that Cartagonova took the foot off the accelerator in the second half and after being thoroughly outclassed in the first half, Racing Santander fought back. Four minutes into the second half, Vidal needed to save from Preciado’s volley and on 55 minutes, the Colombian put a drive over the bar. On 66 minutes, Husaín fed Mingo, but the substitute’s attempt at lobbing Vidal did not come off as it cleared the bar. But they had a glimmer of a chance when on 72 minutes, the Spanish international keeper caught his international teammate Diego as he tried to sidestep the keeper. Despite Cartagonova’s vigorous protests, the referee did not hesitate in pointing to the spot and Diego completed the formalities. But that only served to wake Cartagonova up, and on 75 minutes, Redondo found his strike partner Notman who completed his hat-trick with another fine strike. In the last minute of the game, Racing Santander hit the post, but in truth they were no match for Cartagonova on the day and the Spanish champion sounded a warning to the league leaders that they were climbing the ladder. For the second time this season, Notman received the match ball for another job well done.â€

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz (Smith 87), Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros (Laurie 67); Michel, Gavião, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Racing Santander (4-4-2): Nuno; Mingo, Christian Díaz (Urbano 53), Jorge ©, Urrutia; Irazoki (Javi Prats 59), Leko, Diego, Husaín; Butra, Preciado.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:1 Racing Santander

MoM - Alex Notman

It was a tremendous game individually for some of my players. Notman, Gavião and Michel are all selected in the first eleven of the team of the week, while Vidal, Redondo, Garrido and Clegg all sit on the bench. Notman notched up his 15th goal of the season from just 16 appearances. This means he has scored 75 goals in 92(6) appearances, which is a goal every 1.31 games - a tremendous ratio. By way of comparison, Diego Ribera has scored 102 goals in 213(2) appearances for Celta Vigo, which is a ratio of one goal every 2.11 games. Martín Palermo has scored 101 goals in 250(32) games for Valencia, which is a ratio of one goal every 2.79 games. Patrick Kluivert has scored 376 goals for Barcelona in 411(17) games - a tremendous ratio of one goal every 1.14 games.

21st of November 2007

Last night, the second group phase of the European Champions' League kicked off, and we host tonight PSV Eindhoven. But before we get to the action, let’s take a look at the four teams in Group C of Phase 2. We start with Cartagonova, who have star striker Alex Notman in a rich vein of form in Spain’s Primera Liga. After coming off a hat-trick against Racing Santander last weekend, and with five goals in seven appearances in the European Champions' League, Notman is in the best form of his career to date. He will be ably assisted by fellow striker José Manuel Redondo, and midfielders Michel, Jaime Garrido and George Clegg, while Gavião holds together the midfield in his anchor role that he also plays in Spain’s squads. Perhaps Cartagonova’s defence is a little shaky, especially with Jukka Hakala making a transfer to Barcelona in little under a month’s time, but Cartagonova does boast a resolute goalkeeper in club captain Iván Vidal, who will be keen to once again lift the European Champions' League trophy in May 2008 before he travels with the Spanish squad to Euro 2008. In Señor Dixie Flatline, Cartagonova has, as is generally recognised, the best manager in the world at the moment, who has combined his club duties remarkably well with his duties managing Spain to qualification for Euro 2008.

Feyenoord has a good squad, with Dutch international veteran Clarence Seedorf the most recognisable. The former Ajax Amsterdam and Inter Milan midfielder returned to the Netherlands last season in a £14 million move from AS Roma, and has been instrumental in Feyenoord’s chances in Europe. With support from Swedish international Johan Elmander and Brazilian internationals Ricardinho and Zé Roberto, Feyenoord boasts a formidable midfield to provide plenty of ammunition to strike force of Guilherme and Ilan. Feyenoord also has a solid defence, with Argentine international defender Gabriel Milito expected to hold it together during the competition. He has capable support from Belgian defender Xavier Asselborn and Dutch international Glenn Loovens, while Czech international Tomas Rosicky will be the ball-winning midfield general for Feyenoord.

Situated on the picturesque Riviera, Monaco has the millions of the ruling family of the Principality backing their tilt at the European Champions' League. However, lack of depth in Monaco’s squad will probably toll against their chances of advancing from the group which features the Spanish and European champion, and two of the three best clubs from the Netherlands. Much will rest upon the shoulders of Croatian international captain, Igor Biscan, to hold together the midfield and direct traffic towards the forwards, led by Cameroonian international Meyong and Frenchman David Suarez. Veteran Martin Djetou and Pontus Farnerud are entrusted with the big responsibilities of defence, while John Arne Riise’s versatility will come in handy for Monaco. However, given the quality of the opposition in this group, it is difficult to see Monaco advancing into the knock-out stages of the competition.

The squad of PSV Eindhoven oozes quality in practically every position. Up front, the duo of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Argentine international Maximiliano Guerra gives many opponent’s defenders headaches, although Guerra will be suspended for the first game against Cartagonova. A midfield featuring Wilfried Bouma, Arnold Bruggink and John de Jong is very creative, and Bjorn van der Doelen and Joost Broerse are accomplished ball-winners in the centre of the park. Cartagonova manager, Señor Flatline, will be very familiar with Spanish international defender César, who is partnered by Dutch internationals Kevin Hofland and Dennis Koeman. PSV has just as good a chance as any of the other four of advancing in this competition.

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 1: Cartagonova v PSV Eindhoven

“… For the third consecutive European Champions' League game, Cartagonova failed to score a goal, making it 286 minutes since they scored a goal in Europe, going back to Kristian Tanem’s 74th minute goal against AC Milan in Game 4. To be fair, PSV Eindhoven weren’t all that crash hot in front of goal either, but the Cartagonova fans who bothered to come this evening (and surprisingly, there weren’t that many today), would have wondered if they had seen the same side that crashed four goals past Racing Santander last weekend. For 90 minutes of graft, Cartagonova only had one off-target shot to show for their work, while Ruud van Nistelrooy was particularly profligate in front of goal, wasting five clear opportunities to notch up an away victory.â€

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Garrido; Clegg (Hernández 80); Redondo (Ameobi 68), Notman.

PSV Eindhoven (4-4-2): Vermeiren; Hofland, Koeman, César, Wielaert; Bouma, van der Doelen, Pedro (Broerse 80), Lucius; van Nistelrooy ©, Mifsud (Correa 80).

Final score: Cartagonova 0:0 PSV Eindhoven

MoM - Dennis Koeman

I’m informed after the game that Hans van Breukelen has decided to ignore my perfectly reasonable advice and signs with Segoviana as assistant manager. Fine. Be that way. See if I care. I’ll just hire somebody else. Somebody better! icon_smile.gif

25th of November 2007

Primera Liga - Game 10: Real Madrid v Cartagonova

“… The match of the round proved to be as absorbing and exciting as everybody expected, as a former Cartagonova player, Sabino, came back to haunt his old manager, Señor Dixie Flatline. In a controversial finish to the game, referee Pérez Riverol went back on his own decision in awarding a penalty against Ballesteros for a tackle on Pablo Aimar inside the area which Sabino had no trouble converting. Earlier, Sabino translated early Real Madrid pressure into a goal after 19 minutes when he was found by a good pass from Aimar unmarked in the Cartagonova box and he buried a drive past Spanish international keeper Iván Vidal. Real Madrid were on fire during the first half, and Cartagonova’s players barely touched the ball, let alone stringing a few passes together to find an equaliser. But Vidal was in excellent form and after conceding the openinig goal of the game, he pulled off a string of superb saves to keep his club in the hunt.â€

“Half-time did not bring much respite for Cartagonova, as Real Madrid took up where they left off from the first half with Aimar in the thick of things, pulling the strings from midfield. But Cartagonova’s first real attack brought them dividends when Redondo and Tanem combined to spring Alex Notman through the heart of the Real Madrid defence, and the Scottish international had no trouble scoring his 16th goal of the season and his tenth in the league. However, Real Madrid weren’t discouraged by this set-back and soon set about finding the winner, which came when Ballesteros fouled Aimar inside the area. Cartagonova’s players furiously protested the decision, which their manager, Señor Flatline, blasted as stupid after the game, but to no avail and Sabino coolly slotted the penalty past Vidal. Garrido missed an opportunity from a free kick with five minutes to play, but in truth the victory was nothing more than Real Madrid, with 19 shots at Vidal’s goal, deserved and keeps them as favourite to lift this season’s Primera Liga trophy.â€

Well, I am very unhappy about our performance in this game. The defence went to sleep and we relied too much upon Vidal to keep us in the game. Redondo and Notman were starved of opportunities, and the only time they really had a sight of Real Madrid’s goal, Notman scored. Hakala was particularly poor and I gave him an official warning after the game for his bad performance. I presume that he is already thinking about his imminent move to Barcelona, but until he does make the transfer, he should be professional enough to keep his mind on the job. I’m very tempted to go back to Trent McClenahan for our next game against Real Sociedad to give the Finn something to think about. We need to do better than we did today if we want to hold onto our trophies, because the last two games were very disappointing.

Real Madrid (4-1-3-2): Casillas; Roberto Carlos, Rubio, Iván Helguera, Grillito; Medina; Davids (Olivera 60), Almeyda, Aimar; Ronaldinho ©, Sabino.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, Hakala, Ballesteros; Tanem (Gavião 71); Michel, Garrido; Clegg (Hernández 71); Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Real Madrid 2:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Pablo Aimar

The loss means that we are now eight points behind the league leaders, and we have two games in hand. Real Madrid and Celta Vigo have opened up a handy five point break over third-placed Valencia, while Barcelona is a further two points behind. We’re locked together with Alavés, who have played thirteen games, Real Betis, Real Sociedad and Numancia on 20 points:

1st Real Madrid 12 6 0 0 15 7 3 1 2 9 5 28

2nd Celta 12 5 1 0 10 3 4 0 2 9 7 28

3rd Valencia 12 3 1 2 13 11 4 1 1 10 6 23

4th Barcelona 12 2 3 0 8 4 4 0 3 12 10 21

5th Alavés 13 4 2 1 10 6 1 3 2 4 6 20

6th Cartagonova 10 4 0 0 11 4 2 2 2 9 9 20

7th Betis 13 3 1 3 10 9 3 1 2 5 8 20

8th Real Sociedad 12 3 1 2 13 8 3 1 2 10 8 20

9th Numancia 13 4 1 2 9 7 2 1 3 6 8 20

10th Elche 13 4 0 3 12 8 2 1 3 7 8 19

11th Athletic Bilbao 12 3 2 2 9 9 2 2 1 5 5 19

12th Espanyol 13 3 3 1 11 7 1 2 3 5 7 17

13th Extremadura 13 3 3 1 7 3 1 1 4 8 12 16

14th Sporting Gijón 13 2 1 3 4 7 2 2 3 7 8 15

15th Racing Santander 13 2 1 3 5 7 2 1 4 7 14 14

16th Osasuna 13 3 1 3 7 7 1 0 5 6 10 13

17th Deportivo 13 3 0 3 6 6 1 1 5 9 11 13

18th Villarreal 12 1 1 4 7 10 1 3 2 3 6 10

19th Levante 13 2 1 3 4 5 0 2 5 3 9 9

20th Sevilla 13 1 2 3 6 10 0 0 7 4 20 5

</pre>

Around the leagues, and our first stop is England, where Arsenal is an astonishing eight points clear of Watford and they have two games in hand over their closest rival. Liverpool and West Ham are locked together on 24 points in third and fourth place respectively, while Luton, Bolton and Manchester United fill the relegation spots after the first third of the season. Things are much closer in Italy, with only goal difference separating Roma from second placed Torino, while Venezia are also in the hunt, being a point behind the top two clubs. Powerhouse clubs Fiorentina and Lazio are fourth and fifth respectively, on 17 points along with Brescia. Foggia, Ancona, Pistoiese and Treviso fill the relegation spaces currently. In Portugal, Benfica enjoys a two point lead and a match in hand over second placed Marítimo with Benfica on 24 points and their closest rival on 22 points. Espinho, Farense and Braga are already looking like certainties for relegation even at this early stage of the season. Finally to Spain, and the most successful club in Spain’s history, Real Madrid, leads the league but only on goal difference from Celta Vigo. They both enjoy a five point gap over third placed Valencia, while champion Cartagonova currently lies in sixth place with two games in hand. Sevilla, Levante and Villarreal need to get the job done if they are to escape relegation at the end of the season.

While the team as a whole played poorly, Notman did well enough to score a place in the starting eleven of the team of the week, while Redondo sits on the bench.

Keep enjoying the World Cup! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Yep ditto above Dixie!

Just caught up with your latest adventures...

Good luck with your retention of the Primera Division and hope you break your CL goal scoring duck icon_smile.gif

Andy

Sorry, guys, for not keeping the story going! I've been having too much fun watching the World Cup, which is on at an excellent time for me here in Melbourne, Australia! icon_smile.gif No getting up at an ungodly hour to watch a great match or two in the greatest competition on earth! icon_biggrin.gif But all your comments are much appreciated.

Dixie

There's a lot to catch up on in the Cartagonova story, so let's get started!

26th of November 2007

Espanyol and St Etienne make ridiculous £2.8 million bids for Gavião. Never in a million years, boys.

On the other hand, I announce a replacement for the departed Hans van Breukelen as yet another Brazilian coach joins the club. This time, I tempt Zetti, who played 17 times for his country, from Argentine club Arsenal de Sarandí. He is excellent at coaching both outfield players and goalkeepers, and is also a very good man manager and knows a bit about tactics. I’m quite pleased to have found a replacement for van Breukelen so quickly.

27th of November 2007

Just because I can, I sign another coach to join the backroom staff here at Cartagonova, as I tempt Leganés’ coach Rafael Ferrer to join the champion as a coach. He is excellent at coaching both outfield players and goalkeepers, is a wonderful motivator of players and is an excellent man manager. He knows plenty about the game and as an added bonus, isn’t too bad on a treatment table.

28th of November 2007

Primera Liga - Game 11: Cartagonova v Real Sociedad

I’m mortified by what happens in this game. I swing the axe, leaving out several regulars - partly from lack of form and partly from lack of fitness - and introduce some fringe players to hopefully make the jump to being contenders for regular places in the starting eleven. José Manuel Redondo shows them the way on 7 minutes when he scorches a cracking drive past the Real Sociedad keeper from 30 yards. He misses a similar opportunity on 14 minutes, and then a moment later, the referee turns down our perfectly valid pleas for a penalty for a foul by Gurrutxaga on Redondo. On 17 minutes, Cabrera’s goal is ruled out for off-side against Redondo and then Iker Ãlvarez pulls off a tremendous double save from Garrido and Gavião in a short space of time. However, on 31 minutes we double our lead when Cabrera’s corner is expertly turned in by Djordjic for his first goal for Cartagonova in his first league start for the club. He should have made it 3-0 on 38 minutes, but his shot screws well wide of the mark, and in the end we rue the missed opportunities.

Real Sociedad are a much more positive side in the second half, with Joseba Llorente constantly getting the better of Trent McClenahan, who appears to have forgotten how to tackle - something very alarming in a central defender. Vidal comes to our rescue on 66 minutes when Llorente powers past the Australian and thumps a hard shot towards goal. Substitute Juan Hernández misses a crucial chance to make it 3-0 on 71 minutes when he breaks free of the Real Sociedad defence but sends his shot wide of the target. On 85 minutes, Vidal saves from Rodrigo, but the ball bounces at the feet of Slovak who feeds the former Brazilian international and suddenly Real Sociedad are back to 2-1 and in with a big chance. Right at the end of the game, Yugoslav midfielder Albert Nadj drives the ball ahead of Rodrigo and he unbelievably turns the ball into the net and our formerly certain victory evaporates right before my eyes. I’m furious, and I take it out on Trent McClenahan who did not even attempt a tackle right through the game. But he wasn’t the only player to have a bad game, with César Cabrera also playing poorly. Still, we should have been capable of holding onto a two goal lead, and I’m extremely angry with the way we’ve played in the last two weeks.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, McClenahan, Cabrera; Djordjic, Gavião, Garrido (Hernández 69); Clegg; Redondo (Tanem 69), Ameobi.

Real Sociedad (4-5-1): Ãlvarez; Ji, Gurrutxaga, Portocarrero (Bridgwater 69), Pilipauskas; Ze Tó (Slovak 69), Rodrigo, Da Silva (Nadj 76), Xabi Alonso ©, Aranburu; Llorente.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:2 Real Sociedad

MoM - Rodrigo

1st of December 2007

Primera Liga - Game 12: Cartagonova v Elche

After a fairly poor November, where we only picked up one win from six games in all competitions (including five in the Primera Liga), I hope to start December much better - with a victory, in fact. I don’t make many changes to the side that conceded two late goals to Real Sociedad, with Ameobi making way for Notman. And the mercurial Scotsman puts us on our way after just five minutes when he hits another thirty yard cracker from Redondo’s pass to put us 1-0 up. In a slow first half, it takes Elche some time to get motoring, but late in the half they test Vidal with some interesting shots that the keeper must save, particularly from Nano and Guede. But at the break, we lead 1-0.

Elche, fired up by their manager at the break, graze the crossbar from Guede on 48 minutes and he puts a shot wide on 55 minutes as we look a little unsteady at the back. Notman forces a good save from Dorronsoro on 60 minutes, however, to inject some confidence back into our play, and Gavião doubles our lead two minutes later when he picks up the ball from Mascorro’s tackle on Redondo and smashes an unstoppable shot into the top corner of Elche’s net. Elche play some pretty football that gets them nowhere and on 82 minutes we make the three points safe when Notman floats in a wonderful cross for Clegg to head home. Guede misses one last chance to salvage something for Elche, but he misses and I finally end a game happy for once, though I’m still not convinced about my defence at the moment.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, McClenahan, Cabrera; Djordjic, Gavião, Garrido (Hernández 84); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Elche (5-3-1-1): Dorronsoro; Roy González, Mascorro, Biri, Cuadrado ©, Méndez; Ãlvarez (Pablo 59), Duscher, Grønkjær (Boskovic 52); Nano (Juanjo 72); Guede.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:0 Elche

MoM - Alex Notman

Three former Cartagonova players played for today’s opposition: Ismael Méndez and Francisco Ãlvarez were products of our youth system, while Biri was an original player when I first arrived on the scene all those years ago.

4th of December 2007

European Champions' League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 2: Monaco v Cartagonova

For the fourth game in a row in Europe, we fail to score a goal. Alex Notman has two shots on target, and they are the only meaningful attempts we have on Monaco’s goal all night. However, encouraging signs from Trent McClenahan who really makes big strides towards becoming the really talented defender tonight in Stade Louis II before a pitiful crowd of less than 10,000 spectators. Monaco are not much better in front of goal than we are, especially with McClenahan playing like a man possessed. But our inability to score a goal in Europe is making me really worry. Thanks to not scoring a goal and not conceding a goal in our first two games in the second phase, we slip to third place with two points, and I have until February 2008 to find out why we’re not playing well in Europe and to put things right.

Monaco (3-3-2-2): Cassard; Di Tommaso, Farnerud, Djetou; Sykora, Biscan ©, Marquez; Riise, Dabo (Landais 61); Meyong, Suarez.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, McClenahan, Cabrera; Gavião; Djordjic, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo (Ameobi 67), Notman.

Final score: Monaco 0:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Trent McClenahan

6th of December 2007

Elche makes me an offer of £3.6 million for Gavião over 18 months. They cannot be serious about this, and I don’t entertain it any further.

9th of December 2007

Primera Liga - Game 13: Deportivo La Coruña v Cartagonova

Deportivo has once again fallen on hard times and the club is struggling in 17th position. But I instruct my players to not give them any charity but take the three points efficiently and effectively. However, Vidal needs to save early from Manolín who seemed like he was going to score when he rounded the keeper, but Vidal manages to get back to the goal line quickly enough to foil the Deportivo striker. They’re made to rue that miss when David Cano gives away a free kick on Djordjic, Garrido’s shot is turned aside for a corner, and the Spanish international midfielder thunders home an unstoppable header from Cabrera’s corner on 16 minutes. On 37 minutes, Deportivo is a little unlucky not to get an equaliser when Boris crashes a long range effort against our crossbar, but Jesús is again busily saving from Djordjic’s free kick right on half-time.

I ask the players to finish the job in the second half, and the mercurial Alex Notman responds to my call. On 59 minutes, he is at the sharp end of an excellent team move that culminates in Clegg floating over a precise cross and Notman out-jumps Amaya to thump home a scoring header! icon_smile.gif Twelve minutes later, he doubles his personal tally for the game and makes the points safe when he gets on the end of a booming goal kick from Iván Vidal to float over Jesús in a simple move! icon_biggrin.gif Vidal preserves his clean sheet when he saves from Manolín and Mista at the death, and we come away from La Coruña with all three points to move into third place on the ladder.

Deportivo La Coruña (5-2-1-2): Jesús; Bosnjak (Makelele 64), Boris, Amaya ©, Melchiot, Oliva; Juanito, David Cano; Valerón (Morán 56); Mista, Manolín.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Gershon, McClenahan, Cabrera; Gavião; Djordjic, Garrido; Clegg (Hernández 77); Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Deportivo La Coruña 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

From the round of fixtures, the Spanish FA selects Jaime Garrido and George Clegg in the team of the week’s first eleven, while Vidal and Notman sit on the bench.

12th of December 2007

World Club Cup - Cartagonova v Argentinos

Once more the European and South American champions do battle at the National Stadium in Tokyo. Personally, I think the game is a waste of time, money and effort on everybody’s behalf, which means that I deliberately leave behind some of my regular first eleven. On a cool and dry evening, I introduce the very patient Salomon Olembé to the first eleven on the left of the defence in place of José María Lacruz, Elias Krantz for the rested Jaime Garrido and Ariel Carreño for José Manuel Redondo.

Argentinos’ players come out confidently and Wooster dribbles his way through my defence before trying his luck on 3 minutes. Fortunately, it goes wide. Some 17 minutes later, Argentinos has another chance to punish us but again Chávez isn’t capable of testing Vidal in a meaningful fashion. Tanem, a few moments later, feeds Notman with a high, inviting cross, but the Scottish striker puts the header just over the bar. On 36 minutes, finally a side gets a shot on target, and thankfully Iván Vidal does well enough to deny Chávez’s first goal of the game. We don’t really deal with the corner effectively and Chávez has another opportunity to open the scoring. He rams a drive against the post with Vidal motionless. icon_eek.gif Fortunately, that is the last action for the first half and we enter half time at 0-0 apiece - snakeeyes!

At the break, I replace the terrible Elias Krantz with Juan Hernández and I shift George Clegg to the right of midfield to accommodate the change. However, Argentinos begins the second half confidently again, with Egyptian striker Hamza trying his luck and forcing a good save out of Vidal. On 53 minutes, Hernández finds Notman in the penalty area but Saja makes a good save to prevent Notman adding to his already impressive goal haul so far this season. Cabrera whips the ball dangerously into the Argentinos penalty box where Clegg is lurking unmarked to try to head the ball into the net, but it is blocked on the line and cleared away. A few moments later, Hamza runs impressively through my defence but lets himself down with a terrible finish that sees the shot end closer to the corner flag than the goal post.

Vidal launches the goal kick high into the Tokyo air where it is collected by Olembé, who finds Gershon with a nice pass. The Israeli international defender shifts the ball to the right where Cabrera is motoring. The young full back slings in a perfect, teasing cross for Hernández to head past the desperate Saja for the opening goal of the game on 58 minutes! icon_smile.gif Argentinos takes some time to get going again, but when they do it is with a vengeance. After Carreño misses with a volley on 70 minutes, Hamza is unlucky to not score the equaliser when Vidal pulls off a tremendous save. Carreño really should have scored on 78 minutes but he heads Tanem’s cross too close to Saja, who manages to push it away. Gershon wastes the opportunity from the corner. With time running out, Argentinos manages to find the equaliser through the always dangerous Hamza, who is rewarded for some good work in the second half. Unfortunately, that sends us both into extra time.

To start the extra time, I remove the disappointing McClenahan and replace him with Danish international Martin Smith. Hamza’s confidence is obviously buoyant after his equalising goal and he tries a long range effort that drifts just wide at the last moment. But Hernández is also in good form and he turns the course of the match on 105 minutes when he thunders a drive into the top corner of Argentinos’ net when fed by Tanem, working hard in midfield. Nine minutes into the second half of extra time, Notman gets his obligatory goal when he crashes home yet another special goal from 30 yards after being set up by Hernández, who is back to the form that impressed me so much last season.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Olembé, Gershon, McClenahan (Smith 91), Cabrera; Djordjic, Tanem, Krantz (Hernández 46); Clegg; Carreño, Notman (Ameobi 116).

Argentinos (4-4-2): Saja; Fernández, Denis, Pena, Testa; Diez (Romero 72), Wooster, Insúa (Gómez 83), Colace; Chávez (Villalba 95), Hamza ©.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 Argentinos (after extra time)

MoM - Juan Hernández

While Juan Hernández’s performance during the game was superb and essentially won the match since he scored two goals and created the third, Trent McClenahan was at fault for Argentinos’ equaliser. I’m becoming tired of his very inconsistent performances at the back for us and with the imminent departure of Jukka Hakala, I need to explore other options to partner Shimon Gershon. One such name that arises is the experienced Paraguayan international Hernán Florentín, who wants to leave River Plate as soon as possible. I need to fight off interest from Werder Bremen and Anderlecht, amongst other clubs, but I think he might be the player to replace the outgoing Hakala. McClenahan needs more time to adjust to Spain, I think.

Needless to say, I warn officially McClenahan and Krantz for their poor games against Argentinos. Both accept their warnings without much indication that they have taken my criticisms, meant only to improve them as players, on board. That doesn’t improve my attitude towards both players.

13th of December 2007

My offer to River Plate for Florentín is accepted, but I’m shocked by the player who indicates that he does not want to move to Cartagonova because he believes that the move would not suit him in the future. I still decide to make him an offer, because the worst he could do would to reject it and he might just come to his senses and sign on board with us.

Simultaneously, Christoffer Källkvist tells me that he has decided to move on after his contract expires at the end of the season. It hasn’t been happy for him here and I’m not surprised to see him go. It is a pity, because he potentially has some excellent talent as a goalkeeper, but there would be no point trying to coax him to stay when he so obviously doesn’t want to be here.

Some of the big names of international football decide to announce their retirements today. Former Barcelona captain, Josep Guardiola believes that at 36 years of age, he is too old to play professional football. Former Manchester United captain, and now with Tottenham Hotspurs, Roy Keane also decides to call it a day at the end of the season. Uruguayan defender and captain, former Juventus stopper and currently at Mallorca, Paolo Montero believes that his dash is done and he will leave the professional game at the ripe old age of 36. But the biggest news is that former Juventus, Roma and Bayer Leverkusen midfielder, currently plying his trade with Arsenal and the winner of the World Cup back in 1998 with two marvellously headed goals against Brazil, Zinedine Zidane has announced his retirement from professional football at the age of 35 at the end of the season. Oliver Kahn, another World Cup veteran, will retire from professional football at the end of the season at the age of 38 and with over 600 appearances under his belt. Former Real Betis, Barcelona and Spanish international striker, also playing for Arsenal, Alfonso joins his teammate Zidane in announcing his retirement from professional football at the end of the season, aged 35.

“… Señor Dixie Flatline accompanied Fernando Morán at an emotional press conference this afternoon as Cartagonova’s famous ‘No. 10’ announced to a packed conference room that he will retire from professional football at the end of the season. After failing to make the grade at Real Madrid, Fernando Morán moved to Racing Santander but could not command a regular place in the club. So when Señor Flatline came calling during the 2000/01 season with a view to a Bosman free transfer in time for the 2001/02 season, Fernando was receptive to the idea. After a slow start to his career, the love affair with the Cartagonova supporters took off in 2002/03 when he scored 18 goals from 40(1) appearances and helped Cartagonova to achieve promotion to the Primera Liga. A quiet season followed, but the next two seasons established his legacy, as Morán scored 38 goals 74(10) appearances in his favoured position just behind the front two strikers.â€

“An almost telepathic understanding with Redondo and Stan Collymore gave Morán the advantage over the opponents and he was instrumental in establishing Cartagonova as a force in Spanish football. Last season, he did not play as many games as he wanted, but he almost single-handedly won Cartagonova the European Champions' League when he scored twice to bring the Spanish club back from the brink against Porto in the epic and unforgettable final at Wembley Stadium. Señor Flatline indicated that he will give serious consideration to retiring Cartagonova’s ‘No. 10’ jersey and will seek out the opinions of the Supporters’ Association in this matter. The club, however, announced that they will establish the Fernando Morán Cup to be played annually in the pre-season as a mark of honour for a player who did so much for the club during his time at the club, which encompasses 205(21) appearances, for 76 goals, 51 assists, and 12 MoMs, with an average rating of 7.34.â€

14th of December 2007

Källkvist attracts a lot of attention immediately, with Osasuna, Trabzonspor, Gençlerbirligi, Antalyaspor and FC København all offering him contracts.

We draw an interesting opponent in the second round of the Copa del Rey - we will match up with Deportivo La Coruña on the 2nd of January 2008 at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena.

Archived