How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barca888:

My advice - Play Vieri

But, your story's so great and drawn out you shouldn't take my advice at all.

KUTGW !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your advice barca888! icon_smile.gif Would if I could, though, because Ancona snapped up Vieri as their player/assistant manager just before Euro 2008.

Cheers,

Dixie

More exciting adventures from Spain's Primera Liga!

14th of August 2008 (cont.)

Unbelievably, Rivaldo cops a further three match ban! icon_mad.gif So this time I do make an official complaint about the refereeing in our last game, but of course, to no avail.

15th of August 2008

Espanyol offers me £2.1 million for Jesús. They should have signed him when they had the chance, because now it’s too late.

Rayo Vallecano can’t find £325,000 for Diawara, so that deal is off.

16th of August 2008

World Cup qualifiers for European countries are but a fortnight away from commencing. That means that today, players from Cartagonova eagerly await their call-up papers to their respective countries. Sweden calls upon Bojan Djordjic to play against Lithuania and Turkey. England finds a place for George Clegg in its squad to compete against Luxembourg and Greece. David Moyes finds that he cannot do without Alex Notman as Scotland will play Moldova and Yugoslavia. Belgium requires Jean-François Gillet for its games against Switzerland and Belarus. Shimon Gershon will once again take the field for Israel against Andorra and Albania. Per Vener Rønning and Kristian Tanem are required by Norway as they face France and Austria.

So it means that I need to select my first squad for Spain since we triumphed in Euro 2008. As I promised, wholesale changes are made to the squad:

Goalkeepers

Iker Casillas (27 y/o, ESP 5 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Iván Vidal (29 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (31 y/o, ESP 13 caps, GK): Barcelona

Defenders

César Cabrera (23 y/o, ESP, D RL): Cartagonova

César (28 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Cartagonova

Jordi Ferrón (30 y/o, ESP 9 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Real Zaragoza

Francisco Javier Olmo (23 y/o, ESP, D/M RL): Villarreal

Borja (30 y/o, ESP 24 caps, D LC): Valencia

José María Hernández (23 y/o, ESP, D LC): Tenerife

Iván Amaya (29 y/o, ESP 47 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (30 y/o, ESP 51 caps, 1 goal, D C): PSV Eindhoven

José de la Rosa (21 y/o, ESP 1 cap, D/DM C): Barcelona

Carlos Marchena (29 y/o, ESP 14 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

Gavião (28 y/o, ESP 12 caps, 2 goals, DM C): Cartagonova

Diego (29 y/o, ESP 17 caps, 3 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Joseba Etxeberría (30 y/o, ESP 69 caps, 19 goals, AM/F RC): Athletic Bilbao

Jaime Garrido (24 y/o, ESP 13 caps, 7 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Mista (29 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 3 goals, AM/F LC): Deportivo La Coruña

Vicente (27 y/o, ESP 65 caps, 23 goals, AM/F LC): Roma

Gerard (29 y/o, ESP 43 caps, 8 goals, AM C): Fiorentina

Juan Hernández (23 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C): Cartagonova

Forwards

Raúl (31 y/o, ESP 108 caps, 54 goals, AM/F LC): Paris-Saint-Germain

Ignacio Morán (21 y/o, ESP, F LC): Deportivo La Coruña

Diego Ribera (31 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 6 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (28 y/o, ESP 12 caps, 6 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Sabino (30 y/o, ESP 1 cap, S C): Real Madrid

Given that the last squad had a restriction of 22 men, being able to pick 26 players to represent the country gives me that extra flexibility. Ballesteros is removed from the group of defenders and I would have dropped him regardless of his current injury. I turn towards youth in the defence, with Barcelona’s José de la Rosa who debuted for his country last season, Tenerife’s José María Hernández who has represented Spain at the Olympic level and Villarreal’s Francisco Javier Olmo coming into that group of players. There is little change in the midfield group of players, although Juan Hernández and Gerard return to the fold, while Ignacio Morán has the opportunity to debut for Spain at some stage soon, while Sabino replaces the injured José Manuel Redondo.

I’m quite happy with the squad I’ve assembled. I wish that I had a proper defensive midfielder to provide cover in case of an injury to Gavião. Actually, when you consider that Gavião is a naturalised Spaniard, since the retirement of Josep Guardiola, there really hasn’t been an excellent Spanish anchor midfielder for me to call upon. Xavi hasn’t really made a good fist of his career at Celta Vigo since switching from Barcelona to cement a place in my squad, while Artur of Villarreal (who is injured at the moment) just doesn’t seem capable of dislodging Gavião. There are perhaps possibilities coming up through the U-21 ranks, but they won’t be available for regular games for Spain for a few years yet.

17th of August 2008

Nancy puts £600,000 on the table for Diawara over a period of 18 months. I take the offer.

Super Cup - 1st leg: Celta Vigo v Cartagonova

I’m absolutely furious at the sub-standard refereeing that costs us a defeat in the opening game of the season. We really should have won this game comfortably, but the idiot referee rules out two perfectly valid goals for off-side and then unbelievably ignores reasonable demands for a penalty that blind Freddie could have given without a second thought. To rub salt into the wound, Celta Vigo then proceed to score two late goals quite undeservedly to take into the second leg at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena a nice buffer.

Celta Vigo dominate the opening 12 minutes of the game but fail to turn their dominance into results on the scoreboard. Alex Notman then has our first chance on 19 minutes but Asper does well to stop the Scotsman from scoring with his first opportunity. Edú tries his luck with a fierce header on 22 minutes that the Swedish keeper saves brilliantly. But Tanem is on-hand to tuck away the rebound, only to have his celebrations cut short by an idiotic decision by the linesman who thinks that he was off-side! icon_mad.gif We’re on fire, and Notman misses two chances thanks to excellent keeping from Asper over the course of the next ten minutes. On 37 minutes, Notman finds himself in sufficient space to control Michel’s cross excellently before smashing it past Asper. But once again, idiocy rules supreme as the referee overrules his linesman and finds that Clegg, who was nowhere near the play at the time, to have been off-side. As we move into injury time at the end of the game, a good save by Vidal from Marcelo Gallardo quickly turns into another attack as Kristian Tanem drives from midfield, but Asper manages to parry away the Norwegian international’s shot to end the first half.

I’m fuming at the break and my mood isn’t helped when Thuram is denied by a superb reaction save by Asper four minutes into the second half. We send the ball back into the penalty box where Edú is knocked over by Carlos, but to my complete disbelief, the referee waves away our appeals for a penalty and motions play-on. Eventually, the warm weather begins to take its toll on my players and with a few minutes to play, I take off Clegg and Edú, replacing them with Muslimovic and Juan Hernández respectively. Perhaps it was the wrong time to make the swap, as we seem to lose concentration and allow Diego Ribera to score from the edge of the penalty box from Astudillo’s cross. Juan Hernández spurns the opportunity to equalise when his long-range effort smashes against Asper’s post, and to make things worse, Quique Ãlvarez hits a scoring drive from 30 yards to really make me mad. icon_mad.gif

Celta Vigo (1-2-5-2): Asper; Carlos; Marchena ©, Toni (Quique Ãlvarez 70); Sorín, Jorge Pérez (Casquero 76), Astudillo, Gallardo, Kortina; McCarthy, Diego Ribera.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Lasa (WingÃ¥rd 54), Thuram; Tanem; Michel, Garrido; Clegg (Muslimovic 83); Edú (Hernández 83), Notman.

Final score: Celta Vigo 2:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Mauricio Astudillo

To compound matters, I lose José Manuel Lasa for three weeks with a strained knee suffered during the game. icon_frown.gif

18th of August 2008

Rayo Vallecano returns with a bid of £140,000 for Diawara. If they can stump up £250,000 for him, I’ll be happy.

20th of August 2008

Somehow, Rayo Vallecano can’t squeeze £250,000 out of its budget to sign Diawara.

In the evening, I’m informed by UEFA that Cartagonova is drawn in Group D in the European Champions' League along with Anderlecht, Celtic and PAO.

Bosnia calls up Zlatan Muslimovic for its game against Bulgaria.

23rd of August 2008

The transfer deadline comes and goes this morning, so it’s time to take a look at the squad for the forthcoming season. We’ll start with the goalkeepers, as usual!

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (29 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK): 293(1) apps, 349 conceded, 25 MoMs, av. rating: 7.31: A very mixed Euro 2008 campaign for the club captain, and he really needs to impress me this season to make himself my preferred keeper for Spain’s World Cup 2010 campaign. But, like I said last season, he shouldn’t be thinking about his international career. Instead, I want him to focus upon leading Cartagonova to yet more glory in the coming season. Conceding two goals late in the first leg of the Super Cup is not the ideal way to start the season, and I hope that he rebounds from that very quickly. Since taking over the No. 1 keeper position here at Cartagonova back in 2002/03, Vidal has matured into a very good captain, capable of keeping his troops in line when he needs to, but sensitive enough to bring their complaints to my attention as their spokesman. His performances for the media have also improved considerably over last season, and he really brings Cartagonova to the attention of the public - always a bonus when you’re chasing that one last sponsor dollar!

Iván says, “When I signed on the dotted line all those seasons ago, I knew at the time I had to struggle to make myself known for the manager as a viable player in goal for the club. I knew that I had talent, and I knew that if I was determined enough, it would make it happen. Now, I’ve almost racked up 300 appearances for the club, and I have two championship medals, a European Champions' League winners medal, and a couple of Copa del Rey medals on my mantelpiece. It’s been a great career so far with Cartagonova, and I’m glad that it will continue for at least another season. They say that a goalkeeper doesn’t really hit his stride until he is into his thirties. I’m 29 now, so I feel as though that I’ve almost reached my peak as a player. But I know that there is still some way to go before I can say that I’ve reached my potential. I’ve had a taste of international football, and I know that I want more! But the only way I can do that is to impress the manager, and because he is also my club boss, I know that I’m not going to be given an easy ride. I’m going to use that as a spur to greater things, and hopefully that will benefit not only myself, but the club in general.â€

Davide Bagnacani (28 y/o, ITA, GK): 0 apps: Signed for £2 million, he certainly adds depth to the squad. He played 65 times for Juventus over the last two seasons, so he has the talent and the experience to really add something to Cartagonova. He knows that it will be difficult to break the stranglehold that Iván Vidal has over the position - it is not easy when the number one keeper is also the club’s captain. But Davide seems quite determined to not give up hope of dislodging Vidal and taking his rightful place between the sticks. He has that certain streak of arrogance and egotism that every good goalkeeper really needs to make something of his career. He will be difficult to man-manage, but I think that if remains here in the long-term, he will benefit both himself and the club.

Jean-François Gillet (30 y/o, BEL 22 caps, GK): 5 apps, 6 conceded, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.60: It’s tough on Jean-François, but at the moment he begins the season as the third-choice keeper. He is talented enough to be more than that, but a champion squad is built upon depth, and if I ever need to delve that deep into my reserves, I would prefer to rely upon somebody I know who can get the job done. Gillet is that man. It’s ironic - he really wants to play football, like all other professional footballers, but I don’t want to play him, because if I’m in that position, that means that the club’s resources are being seriously stretched in the goalkeeper department. Nevertheless, I’m sure that he will find some time on the pitch at some stage during the season, as I strive to keep every member of the squad happy.

Keep smiling!

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

Thanks for your advice barca888! icon_smile.gif Would if I could, though, because Ancona snapped up Vieri as their player/assistant manager just before Euro 2008.

Cheers,

Dixie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww! That's what happened to me too, when I had him as a 42 yr old and was still banging in the goals. He retired at 45 or something in my game, and became the manager of a lower league French team...

Again, very nice story

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by barca888:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

Cheers,

Dixie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awww! That's what happened to me too, when I had him as a 42 yr old and was still banging in the goals. He retired at 45 or something in my game, and became the manager of a lower league French team...

Again, very nice story<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much, Barca888, and congratulations for beginning the 36th page of this epic story! icon_smile.gif

Dixie

So let's continue reviewing the squad!

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (30 y/o, ISR 45 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C): 142(4) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.21: Nearing his 150th start for Cartagonova, Shimon has accumulated plenty of experience since joining from Osasuna at the end of the 2004/05 season for £2 million plus Fernando Couto. At the time, many pundits thought that Osasuna had perhaps the better end of the deal, despite the fact that Couto was nearing the end of his career, but none would venture that opinion at the moment, not after Gershon has collected two Primera Liga medals, a Copa del Rey medal, a European Champions' League winners’ medal and the European Defender of the Year award for last season. Within two months of turning 31, Shimon could fairly be considered a chance at the captaincy, if not for the consistent form of Iván Vidal in his position. Last season, however, Shimon’s form was perhaps not so great as it has been previously. The protracted dispute over the future of Jukka Hakala, and my persistence with the evidently unsuitable Trent McClenahan was finally resolved by partnering Shimon with Martin Smith, only to have Smith injure himself near the end of the season. Hopefully, things will be right inside Shimon’s head as we kick off the new season.

Shimon says, “It’s been fantastic to play here at Cartagonova. The fans are very special, and appreciate everything the club has achieved. It’s hard to remember that only a few seasons ago, the club was playing in the bottom division of the league, but now we’re double champions and we have been European champion. Some people ask me whether such success has dulled my hunger of for more. Of course, that is not correct. I’m happy to kick off another season here at Cartagonova and I hope that I’m going to be a big part of the club’s success. We have assembled a highly talented, highly experienced squad here, and I think we’re in the position to really challenge for more domestic and European honours. I want to be a big part of that, and I also hope that I’ll be able to help pull Israel into the World Cup, which would be really special!â€

Ballesteros (32 y/o, ESP 15 caps, D/DM RC): 213(13) apps, 7 goals, 14 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 6.96: Now well into his thirties, I wouldn’t expect Ballesteros to play to many games from the beginning. Let’s be honest - looking at the squad, you’ll find that there are a couple of full-backs who could easily slot into the side ahead of Ballesteros. There are many people who thought that he was lucky to go to Euro 2008, and to be honest, I think he was fairly lucky that I prized consistency in the squad to go to Scotland and Wales with the squad that qualified Spain to be there over picking younger players for his position. Nevertheless, I think that Ballesteros - even though he is now in the twilight of his career - is good enough to contribute significantly to the club’s fortunes. As a back-up squad player, there would be plenty of clubs in Spain that would like to have him in their squads. For that reason, I think he is still a valuable player to the squad, particularly with his experience at the top level, and I hope that he finishes his career with Cartagonova.

César Cabrera (23 y/o, ESP, D RL): 33(3) apps, 1 goal, 9 assists, av. rating: 6.86: A solid first season for César and a recognition that he has the potential to become a really great full-back means that I’ve decided to include him in the full Spanish squad for our World Cup qualifiers. Perhaps the only thing missing from his arsenal is his ability to keep up the most fleet-footed of wingers, but in practically every other department you’d want covered in a full-back, he has the talent and ability in spades. Already, he has a season under his belt at Cartagonova with a Primera Liga winners’ medal to polish on his mantelpiece, and I think that the experience he will gain training with the full Spanish squad will complement his experience at representing Spain at the last Olympic Games. He should push to play practically every game we partake in here at Cartagonova this season.

César (28 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 1 goal, D RL): 34 apps, 6 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.00: Another player beginning his second season here at Cartagonova, he arrived only half-way through the season from Osasuna. Therefore, it is a measure of his ability that he was able to effectively take over from Ballesteros on the right of defence and make that position his own. Couple a good season with Cartagonova with some good performances for Spain at Euro 2008, and you’ll find that I expect him to back it all up with another consistently good season at the club. He will miss the Spanish Cup thanks to a suspension incurred last season, but when he comes back, I want him to start at one hundred percent effectiveness. He is also a potential captain of the club, and I hope that he will benefit greatly from the presence of Lilian Thuram both as breathing down his neck to take his position and as a coach. He should add significantly to his collection of 14 international caps before his career finishes, so long as he continues to impress me at club level.

Djibril Diawara (33 y/o, SEN 20 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC): 9(4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.08: Long out-stayed his welcome, Djibril would already have left the club but for the fact he could not agree terms with his main suitor, and I couldn’t agree a fee with some other clubs. He will not last at Cartagonova much longer.

José María Lacruz (30 y/o, ESP, D RL): 190(6) apps, 2 goals, 10 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63: Quietly consistent since he joined from Athletic Bilbao at the end of the 2002/03 season, his position as a regular first-team player is now under threat like never before, with César Cabrera and César muscling their way into the forefront of my thoughts. Nevertheless, you can’t go past José for a player who can contribute in his own quiet way, week in and week out. Although he has only participated directly in 12 goals in 190(6) appearances through scoring or creating them, José’s importance to the team should be measured by the number of chances he has denied the opposition. You will hardly hear him on the training pitch or on the field, but he live and dies for the team, and you need somebody like that on the pitch who can set the example for those to follow about the importance of the club’s colours.

José says, “I know that this season, I’m going to face my biggest challenge since joining the club. To date, I have felt fairly sure that my position is safe, but now the manager has signed some really good full-backs who, like me, are hungry to play in my position. This puts extra pressure on me to make sure that I come up every week with the goods both on the training pitch and when I have the opportunity to play, on the pitch. I think that with the experience I have at playing at the top club level in the best club competition in Europe that I can respond to the challenge and make sure that I continue to play for Cartagonova. I really love playing for the club, and I really want to finish my career here. But to ensure that, I need to maintain and improve my standard of play, to make sure that when it comes to the selection of the team, my name is one of the eleven that goes on from the start. That is what I’m aiming at, and I know that I can achieve that.â€

Lilian Thuram (36 y/o, FRA 118 caps, 6 goals, D RC): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00: Signed on a free transfer after he was released by Celta Vigo at the end of last season, I believe that the experience of 644 games (before he began his Cartagonova career) plus 118 international caps is invaluable to the club. Of course, I think Romário doesn’t quite think the same as I do, as he was the unfortunate coach to make way for the former French international who joins as a player/coach. Nevertheless, while our attack has always been potent, I’ve been worried that our defence does not quite measure up, and I hope that Thuram’s vast experience and knowledge of the game will improve our performance overall. And while perhaps his physical attributes might be beginning to fade at the twilight of his playing career, the knowledge he holds inside has allowed him to fit right into the system I like to play here at Cartagonova. I think he will be a very valuable player to the club.

Martin Smith (30 y/o, DEN 35 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC): 25(3) apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.93: I think that this player is the man to join Shimon Gershon as my preferred centre half when he returns to full fitness in a fortnight or so. He is a very determined, very strong and powerful defender capable of dealing with any striker his opponent likes to pitch in against him. However, playing in Denmark with Brøndby has coloured people’s perceptions of him, and when he played poorly in his first season in Spain with Mallorca, some may have questioned my purchase of him when the island club was relegated. Nevertheless, I think that in the 25(3) appearances he made for Cartagonova last season, he showed enough to suggest that I should be able to trust him to forge a good partnership with Gershon that will last a couple of seasons at least.

Martin says, “I’m disappointed that I’m beginning this season with an injury, because I was really looking forward to kicking it off at the side of Shimon. I’ve spoken to the manager while I’ve been in my rehabilitation program, and he believes that I have a strong future here at Cartagonova. I know that I really enjoyed the time I spent on the pitch last season for the club, and I’m looking forward to getting back out there again. Some people have questioned whether I belong here at Cartagonova, especially at the start of the season, so I have that challenge ahead of me to show to the fans of the club that I belong here at the club, and that I should wear the number 5 jumper. I can’t wait.â€

Moustapha Keità (28 y/o, FRA, D/DM C): 5(1) apps, av. rating: 6.33: There is little I can say about Moustapha except that he is strictly a squad player, to be used only when I have a crisis of personnel in his area. His appearances for the club last season were few and far between, and I really can’t see him seizing a place in the first eleven and keeping it for any length of time. His contract expires at the end of the season, and for a player who has spent so long without real first team football, I’m sure he will consider his options before he would want to sign on the line with us - that is, if I want him to stay at Cartagonova.

José Manuel Lasa (23 y/o, ESP, D C): 19 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.10: I’m really looking forward to José maturing both physically and mentally, as I expect big things from him. He has already moved clubs on several different occasions, so if he can establish his roots here in the town, I think that will assist greatly in making him a very useful player for Cartagonova in the future. It will be difficult for José to make an impact on the preferred centre half pairing of Gershon and Smith, but in a couple of seasons, I would expect him to carry on the Cartagonova tradition. Look out for this player in the future.

Axel Wingård (27 y/o, SWE 4 caps, D C): 17(3) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.85: I welcome Axel back to the club with welcome arms, as I never liked selling him in the first place. Now, after two seasons at Real Vallodolid where he had mixed success, he is back in the fold, and I think the club is better for his return. He is a genuinely talented defender and I’m sure that he will add to his international cap collection in the near future. He is not quite the quickest player on the pitch, but he is strong, built to last the distance and capable of taking the ball away from the toughest of strikers. Not only that, he is comfortable with the ball at his feet and knows how to string a pass together or even have a shot, if he has a fancy. I’m looking forward to working with Axel again in the coming season.

Axel says, “The last time I walked into the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena, there was some acrimony between myself and the manager. I walked out of the club, vowing to show the club that they were wrong to treat me the way they did. But perhaps I selected the wrong club to go to, because Real Vallodolid did not measure up to my expectations. Therefore, I found it difficult to get motivated enough to cement a regular first team spot in the side, and consequently, I was constantly bouncing in and out of the team. So when I was told by my agent that Cartagonova had approached Real Vallodolid with a view of purchasing me, I was excited, because I was keen to renew my working partnership with Señor Dixie Flatline. So, I’m very happy that the move worked out, and I’m looking forward to setting the past right. Of course, I realise that the club could not stay still while they hoped that I would become available again, so I know I have to recapture my place in the side, but I’m determined to make that happen.â€

Midfielders

Gavião (28 y/o, ESP 12 caps, 2 goals, DM C): 147(5) apps, 25 goals, 31 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.42: For so long, the midfield linchpin of the club, I hope that we can resolve our differences and Gavião continues his association with the club after his present contract expires in 2010. The Brazilian-born, naturalised Spaniard is one of the best defensive midfielders in the country, and I’m glad that I have him on my side both at the club and country levels. He was very influential a couple of seasons ago, but last season perhaps his consistent productivity level dropped slightly. Unfortunately, his season was cut short by a dismissal he incurred against Racing Santander when he headbutted Urrutia at the end of the game and that practically ended his league season last time around. He begins this season with another game on that ban to serve, but given that includes the meaningless Spanish Cup against Celta Vigo, he should be fit and raring to go when our league campaign begins. I still maintain that he is the club’s vice-captain, and as such, he is a great assistant to Iván Vidal in the role of captaincy, and I believe that he could captain both his club and his country at some stage in the future.

Kristian Tanem (25 y/o, NOR 27 caps, 16 goals, DM/F C): 25(11) apps, 4 goals, 9 assists, av. rating: 7.04: Once again, Kristian will enter this season as the first back-up for Gavião, which shows the depth in talent we have for this position, because I’m sure that in practically every other club he would walk straight into a first eleven position. He was certainly important to Villarreal because their first season without their talismanic player, they dropped from sixth to tenth on the ladder. I believe that after a season of acclimatising to the higher standard of skill and physical play here at this club, I think that Kristian could really be a player to watch this season. He added four more caps to his international collection at Euro 2008 with Norway, and I think that he is one of the players you’d do anything to get a hold of, and now that you have him, keep him.

Jesús (27 y/o, ESP, M RC): 0 apps: Signed from Lleida for £2.9 million, his former employer believes that he will play for Spain in the near future. That might actually happen, but I don’t think it will happen this season, as he has to force his way past both Gavião and Tanem before he will play for the club. In many ways, he is in the same position Pablo Box was for the club a couple of seasons ago - a talented player in his own right, but not quite talented enough to force his way through to the first eleven. Nevertheless, he has shown enough in the pre-season friendly competitions to show that he does have some type of future at the club, and I think that I will be able to make good use of him while he stays here at Cartagonova.

Per Vener Rønning (25 y/o, NOR 10 caps, 2 goals, D/DM/F LC): 10(16) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.04: Per Vener caused a great stir during the summer when he announced that he would fancy a move out of Cartagonova. It certainly stirred up strong opinions, mostly against him, amongst the other members of the squad, and I hear that the board is still not happy with him mouthing off against the club in public. Therefore, given that he is a very talented player capable of playing well in many different positions, I hope that he resolves in his head where he wants to be, makes his apologies to his fellow players and to the board (through me), and gets on with the job. It would a definite shame if Per Vener had to leave before his time was up at this club, for whatever reason. But due to his loose lips and his poor choice in agent, I don’t think I could see my way clear to giving him a place in the starting eleven right from the beginning of the season.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Let's keep looking at that squad!

Byron Bubb (26 y/o, ENG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM RC): 0 apps: Signed on a Bosman free transfer from Tottenham Hotspurs, he has plenty of experience in English football to show everybody that he has plenty of talent, and he will be put to good use during this season. Having made his way first with Millwall, and then with Tottenham, he has the fire in the belly and the determination to not be intimidated by his new surroundings. Already he has picked up the rudiments of the Spanish language, so he at least knows when he is being insulted on the training pitch. George Clegg and Jaime Garrido know that they have a new competitor in the wings waiting for either of them to slip up and allow him to step into the breach. Byron is perhaps not the most naturally gifted of midfielders I have on my books, but he is still good enough to be part of the squad.

George Clegg (27 y/o, ENG 1 cap, AM/F RC): 136(22) apps, 41 goals, 33 assists, 11 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29: I said at the end of last season that I seriously considered retiring Fernando Morán’s No. 10 jersey, but after talking to the former Cartagonova player, I decided that George Clegg is a worthy player to continue carrying the number in the future. Now into his fifth season with Cartagonova, George has matured into a superb attacking midfielder, capable of delivering a killer pass that splits open a defence, or driving the ball home for a goal himself. Although the previous season was not quite as good as the season where he really excelled, back in 2006/07, George is a brilliant player capable of taking apart any attack on his day, and I think that he is in the type of mood where he will cut loose and really demonstrate his talent. Unfortunately for his international career, playing in Spain really meant that he was out of view of the former England manager, Kevin Keegan, but Tony Adams has been installed as the new manager, and the former Arsenal captain has no prejudices against selecting former Manchester United youth trainees, so Clegg will have the opportunity to play for England in the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers. I wish him the very best with his international career, and I hope that his club career continues on the upward curve it has so far demonstrated.

George says, “I have really enjoyed my time here at Cartagonova, and I’m looking forward to the new season beginning. I’ve also broken back into the English squad for the World Cup qualifiers, so I’m really excited about training with the English squad. I know, however, that my only chance of playing for England is to continue impressing on the pitch for my club. I’m very happy here at Cartagonova, and I can’t see myself leaving in the near future. I’ve really settled down here, put my roots down, so to speak, and now I’m looking forward to cementing myself as one of the best midfielders Cartagonova has ever played. I spoke many times to Fernando Morán towards the end of last season, and we agreed that I should be the one that Fernando would recommend to Señor Flatline to carry his number in the future. I’m very happy that Señor Flatline has decided to honour Fernando’s request, and I’m very proud to carry the number into the new season.â€

Jaime Garrido (24 y/o, ESP 13 caps, 7 goals, AM/F RLC): 69(14) apps, 15 goals, 18 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.41: Despite being only 24 years old, Jaime is an integral part of my plans for both club and country. He is an excellent player, capable of taking on the best defenders the opponent can throw at him, and he knows how to sling in a devastating cross or slide the defence-splitting pass through to his strikers. But he also not afraid of having a lash himself, and to that end, he has an incredible scoring record already. I said at the end of last season that he has the potential to be a superstar in Spain, and I think that his performances at Euro 2008, where he played both on the left and the right wings, justified my prediction. He and Francisco Javier Zubizarreta are two players that Spain’s supporters should be very happy to see pull on their country’s colours, and I wish I could link both of them up at the one club, because that would be really frightening for an opponent to face. Nevertheless, Jaime is a terrifically skilled player, with a real gift for creative play, and I’m looking forward to him putting in another brilliant season for Cartagonova this season.

Elias Krantz (26 y/o, SWE, AM RC): 11(5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.56: Elias will continue this season as a squad player, only to be played when other players, like Garrido, Clegg, and Bubb are injured or otherwise unavailable. He is a good player to have in reserve, but as I said last season, I don’t think he is capable of holding down the first eleven position on a regular basis. Nevertheless, I think he has been value for money at just £250,000, so I can’t really complain about his contribution to the club just at the moment.

Zlatan Muslimovic (27 y/o, BOS 48 caps, 21 goals, AM/F RC): 0(1) app, av. rating: 6.00: An inauspicious debut for Cartagonova in our loss to Celta Vigo in the first leg of the Spanish Cup does not demonstrate the undoubted talent that this mature, experienced player possesses. Commencing his career with Udinese before spending many seasons in Germany with first Eintracht Frankfurt and then Borussia Dortmund, I felt quite comfortable in paying his former employer £5 million to bring him to Spain. His pre-season form has been excellent and I am going to be hard pressed to think up reasons why he should not play regularly for the club in the new season.

Zlatan says, “I spent three seasons with Eintracht Frankfurt and then a couple of seasons with Borussia Dortmund, so I know what it is like to play in a tough league amongst some tough clubs. But I also felt that I was growing too comfortable in the German league, and although I didn’t really get an opportunity to shine at Udinese, I felt that Italy wouldn’t really suit me. So when I saw that Cartagonova was very interested in signing me, I was very interested in joining the club. Of course, I have seen Cartagonova play on television, particularly in the European Champions' League, and I admire the club’s free-wheeling attacking style of play. I like a club that takes chances and attacks, so I felt that a move here to Cartagonova would be beneficial to my career. I hope to make a very good impression here at Cartagonova and I hope that I can secure some trophies for the club in the coming season.â€

Ramón Salas (23 y/o, ESP, AM RL): 10(3) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.54: Ramón has served a very long apprenticeship since he joined on a free transfer from Fuenlabrada, and has only managed 10(3) appearances since he joined in 2005/06. Nevertheless, I was very pleased to see him join up for another contract of four years earlier in the summer, and I believe that he is poised to take over from Michel in the next couple of seasons when the experienced veteran finally gives it away. He has looked quite good and capable of playing more regularly in the pre-season, and I’m sure that he will add to his meagre collection of appearances for the club this season.

Bojan Djordjic (26 y/o, SWE 13 caps, 1 goal, AM LC): 11(5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.94: Somewhat like Elias Krantz, Bojan Djordjic begins this season only as a squad player, who would not really be considered for a permanent position in the first eleven. Nevertheless, he manages to hold down a position in Sweden’s squad for the World Cup qualifiers, and taking a look at him in isolation, there is no reason why he won’t remain a Cartagonova player in the long-term. He will, however, have to battle it out with Ramón Salas and Ola Otfors-Palmqvist to take over Michel’s position on the left in the near future. He may have what it takes but, as they always say, only time will tell.

Michel (32 y/o, ESP, AM L): 273(12) apps, 41 goals, 64 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14: One of Cartagonova’s most famous players, it’s hard to believe that when he first arrived at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena on a six month loan deal from Rayo Vallecano, I was initially reluctant to take him on a Bosman free transfer. He hadn’t done very much in his first half season at the club, and didn’t look like a special player. But against my better judgment, I chose to believe my instincts that despite his performances up to that point, he really was a great player and was being presented to us on a silver platter, I decided to strike a deal with him. It is one of the best deals I’ve ever negotiated on behalf of anybody. The club has gained a fantastically consistent, fantastically creative player who is always available for that pass down the left, able to get in behind the defenders using his mind rather than any surprising burst of speed which he has never possessed. Involved directly in over 100 goals in less than 300 appearances for the club, Michel has an extraordinary involvement in the club’s success. Many who were there will forget Michel’s second-half winner against Real Betis in the Copa del Rey final, where we triumphed against the odds. He is a very special player for the club.

Michel says, “With the retirement of Fernando Morán at the end of the last season, in some ways I feel that the creative baton has been passed to me. Fernando is a wonderfully gifted flair player, and when he was on the pitch, I felt comfortable in letting him take on the opponent with some tricky manoeuvre, but now that he has gone, I feel somewhat obligated to carry on the tradition. I have to admit that I enjoy bamboozling opponents, taking the ball past them in a variety of different ways, each different from the last, so that they do not know what to expect. Having never been a particularly fast player, I’ve always had to improvise me way around the situation, so I have that experience of creating something out of nothing. I hope to put that to good use for another season, and notch up 300 career appearances for Cartagonova, which would be something very remarkable for me. My one regret is that I’m probably too old to appear for Spain, and there are admittedly some very good wingers out there capable of pulling on the Spanish jumper, but I have been well rewarded for the service I’ve put in for the club, and I’m proud to have been involved in Cartagonova’s success over the past few seasons.â€

Ola Otfors-Palqmvist (27 y/o, SWE, AM/F LC): 0 apps: Signed from Getafe for £1.9 million at the end of the last season, I was impressed with him when he turned out for his former club during their brief stay in Spain’s top flight a couple of seasons back. Along with Alexander Alm, he formed a neat partnership up forward for Getafe, and although it wasn’t enough to keep the club in the Primera Liga, he did win a lot of admirers. However, I feel that his best position could be on the left. Like Michel, he isn’t a terribly quick player, but has intelligence about him, and knows how to keep possession of the ball despite the interested presence of defenders. He also packs a powerful shot, no doubt a benefit of his days as a striker, and he is quite capable of slinging over a good cross to the advantage of our forwards. He should be looking forward to a prosperous career here at Cartagonova.

Ola says, “Having played for many seasons at Getafe, moving here to Cartagonova feels like a dream come true. Of course, this club does not have the history of Barcelona or Real Madrid, but you can feel when you walk up the steps to emerge onto the pitch at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena, that the club is really going places. Two championships back to back helps to forge a feeling around the league that this club is emerging as a real powerhouse of Spanish and European football and I remember that at Getafe we wanted to emulate the feats of Cartagonova, but were unable to pull it off. Now that I’m about to pull on a Cartagonova guernsey for the first time this season, I feel honoured to be picked to represent the Spanish champion. I’m going to do my utmost to not disappoint anybody when I have the chance to play.â€

Rivaldo (36 y/o, BRA 119 caps, 26 goals, AM LC): 0 apps: Just the mere name of the Gaunt One on the substitutes’ bench would be enough to scare away any potential threat to my budding empire. So goes the thinking when I see that 1860 München have mystifyingly decided to let the Brazilian superstar depart the club on a free transfer. Sure, he might be well into his 30s, now, but over 600 appearances for club and another 119 for his country is experience that really you can’t buy these days (because you sign it on a free transfer!). I don’t really expect Rivaldo to play often this season, but he will be used when the time is right to come on as an “impact player†and make the most of his opportunity like I know he can.

Juan Hernández (23 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C): 36(21) apps, 20 goals, 12 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.39: Back in the Spanish squad after missing out on Euro 2008, I hope Juan takes this opportunity to evaluate his career to date here at Cartagonova. I’m becoming a little concerned that he is becoming complacent at training and not as learning as much as he could when he is out on the pitch. A player like Juan, who makes a huge impact when he first arrives on the scene, needs to be wary that such success - like winning a Primera Liga winners’ medal - in your first season does not mean that this will be how it always will in the future. Let’s hope he picks up on these issues and works hard this season to better himself.

Forwards

Edú (29 y/o, BRA 16 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C): 1 app, av. rating: 6.00: Not a good start to his Cartagonova career as he fills in for José Manuel Redondo beside Alex Notman, but hopefully his performance will pick up as the season progresses. Some may remember Edú as a loudmouth who alienated practically the entire squad when he was at Celta Vigo and forced the manager to sell him, not only to another club, but to another country. So, I’m taking somewhat of a gamble on signing what essentially is a back-up player when I paid £4.5 million to Borussia Dortmund to take him back to Spain. Nevertheless, you can’t be a bunny and be in the Brazilian squad, which Edú is, so there is that to recommend him to me. Further, his pre-season form was very encouraging indeed, so I feel confident that I have signed a good player for the club. The only trick is to keep him happy, because otherwise I might have to off-load him quick to prevent the squad from being destabilised.

Alex Notman (28 y/o, SCO 20 caps, 12 goals, AM/F C): 127(6) apps, 84 goals, 37 assists, 31 MoMs, av. rating: 8.05: Surprisingly left out of Scotland’s Euro 2008 squad because he was suspended for the first game, he comes into the new season unexpectedly fresh and raring to go. Recalled immediately to Scotland’s squad following the end of Euro 2008 to help qualify his country for World Cup 2010, I’m sure he has a point to prove to every football pundit around Europe that he is truly one of Europe’s finest predatory strikers. Well, he doesn’t need to prove that to me. Having the privilege of watching him go about his business at close quarters, he reminds me of a tiger, always on the prowl, on the alert, and ready to snap up any opportunity at a moment’s notice. But beyond that, like a tiger, he is capable of fashioning his own chances, and assists wherever possible to help the team go forward. Clubs like VfB Stuttgart, Tranmere and Manchester United must be kicking themselves even now that they could not harness the immense talent that Alex Notman possesses. At 28, he must be at the peak of his powers, and if he is, given what he did in the last 2½ seasons, you’d better stand back!

Alex says, “Of course I was disappointed not to go to Euro 2008. During last season, I really looked forward to pulling on Scotland’s colours and leading the lines in front of our home crowds. And I wish I could say I understood the manager’s decision to leave me behind, and while I’ve talked to him about it when he called me up for our qualifiers in a fortnight, I still don’t understand why. But while I’m trying to put that behind me mentally, I know that I begin this season the freshest I’ve done for quite a few seasons. I’ve only played a couple of pre-season games, to get my eye in, so to speak, so I feel relaxed and confident about the coming season. I know that my work in the previous years here at Cartagonova have really set the standard for me this season, so I’m working towards satisfying my personal goals and helping the club to achieve its aims in the process. I’m looking forward to this season.â€

Ariel Carreño (29 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC): 20(16) apps, 14 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.42: Ariel begins the new campaign with a serious handicap - being suspended for the first eight league games, and while that includes the two-legged Spanish Super Cup, that it is still an awful lot of football to miss out upon when you’re fighting a very effective strike force combination in Redondo and Notman, as well as other alternatives, to find a place in the first eleven. I don’t really see him making much of an impact this season because I don’t think I’ll play him all that often.

Foluwasha Ameobi (26 y/o, NIG 13 caps, 3 goals, S C): 6(12) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.89: A poor first season was compounded by the fact that Shola has difficulty fitting in here at the club. He can’t really speak the language, and so far the very expensive language tutorials that the club has paid for haven’t clicked with him. Until he gets the local lingo down pat, I don’t see Shola being a real huge success here at Cartagonova. And that would be a pity, because the Nigerian striker certainly has talent in front of goal, although his first season wouldn’t really be evidence of that. Shola has it all to do this season if his Cartagonova career isn’t going to be a forgetful one for all concerned.

José Manuel Redondo (32 y/o, ESP 4 caps, 2 goals, S C): 268(11) apps, 150 goals, 69 assists, 40 MoMs, av. rating: 7.87: Unlike Shola, José is a bona fide legend here at Cartagonova. Since he joined the club at the start of the 2002/03 season, when we embarked upon our second season in the Segunda Liga, José has been pivotal to the club’s success. He formed a great partnership with Stan Collymore, much to everybody’s disbelief, and when that partnership ended, he has struck up an even better one with the mercurial Alex Notman. Now that José is on the wrong side of 30, you would think that he would begin to slow down, but last season was perhaps his best season for several seasons, as he scored 27 goals from 54 appearances. When Alex Notman was injured, José really stepped up to the plate and carried the strike force through that trying time. Although he has had limited opportunities at international level, he does have a coveted Euro 2008 winners’ medal amongst his multitude of club honours sitting at home, and he has been well worth picking in Spain’s squads in the past couple of seasons. I look forward to another productive season from the club’s best ever No. 9.

Dixie Flatline

G'day cob..still going strong, I see.

A couple of questions:

Is there any end in sight to this masterpiece? (Hoping not)

and

Do you have it in Word format?

I'd love to print out this beast (from the very start, if at all possible) and have it sitting on my bedside table to peruse when I feel like it..

KUTGW and carn the Hawkers in 03.. icon_wink.gif

Just popping in for a moment or two!

Thanks to everybody who has replied since the last set of updates last week. Unfortunately, I haven't had any time since then to really play the game, and although I do have something extra to add, there isn't enough to justify another round of updates. But soon, though, I promise... icon_wink.gif

To B.E. Gaity and hermolt, unfortunately, my computer crashed on me a couple of months back and took with it all the unarchived seasons of the story. So, while I have the first five seasons (I think, off the top of my head), I don't have anything until mid-way through season 8 (last season). At the moment, I'm slowly rebuilding the Word documents via cut-&-paste off this story thread, but it's a fairly tedious task, and I haven't done very much of it yet. But one day, it will all be back in Word!

To everybody else, thank you once again for your continued interest in this story. I hope you will continue to enjoy it when I get around to writing more about it. I foresee this story going until World Cup 2010, but since we've only just finished Euro 2008, it could take some time to get there! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hermolt:

G'day cob..still going strong, I see.

A couple of questions:

Is there any end in sight to this masterpiece? (Hoping not)

and

Do you have it in Word format?

I'd love to print out this beast (from the very start, if at all possible) and have it sitting on my bedside table to peruse when I feel like it..

KUTGW and carn the Hawkers in 03.. icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, hermolt! icon_smile.gif I hope the Hawks can hold onto Danny Chick for next season - he is one of our best players, and I'd hate to see him go west. I think we can get a ruckman another way, if we have to, and I hope that we can change his mind! Hopefully we can get back to where we were in 2001, because 2002 just wasn't quite up to scratch! icon_smile.gif

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B.E.Gaity:

Me too! I'd like a copy if one could be made available. icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are you going, B.E. Gaity?! icon_wink.gif We haven't talked for a while! icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

I'll see what I can do, but you know that my computer crashed recently and I don't have it all ready available for such requests!

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stephanie McMahon's Secret Lover:

Wow! icon_redface.gif A squad round-up that's a masterpiece! icon_biggrin.gif

Not thinking of buying CM 01/02 then? icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much, SMSL! icon_smile.gif No, I'm not going to buy CM 01/02 - I'm fairly resigned to that fact, now. I'm hanging out for CM 4 to come out.

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghostwriter:

...and so another season is upon us... icon_smile.gif

Good luck and lets see if you can make it a hat-trick of Primera Liga titles and retake the CL icon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to have you back on board for the new season, ghostwriter! icon_smile.gif And well done on making a presentation at the interminable Mao awards (will those things ever end?! icon_wink.gif )! I have the VIP box all ready for you, so hopefully things will be right for you! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm certainly going for the "three-peat" this season (which would beat going for it at any other season, because then it wouldn't be 3 in a row, now would it?!) Hopefully the squad is good enough to do it - we'll find out!

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Junichi Inamoto:

amazering icon_biggrin.gif

seriously, this is the benchmark for everything else<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much, Junichi. I hope that you continue to enjoy the story as much as you have.

Dixie

Now it's time to look at the clubs for 2008/09!

So, now that we’ve looked at the full squad for the coming season, let’s take a look at the competition for the Primera Liga. As always, we’ll kick off with the first letter of the alphabet, and that means that Alavés is first. The Vitoria-based club will depend upon three players for its success this season. Defender José made his full international debut for Spain last season in the build-up to Euro 2008, and while he did not make the trip to Scotland and Wales for the competition itself, no doubt the 27 year old defender harbours ambitions to appearing for Spain in the World Cup 2010 qualifiers this season and beyond. Uruguayan winger Carlos Jacques will provide speed, creativity and flair down the flanks for Alavés and he will surely terrorise many defences this season to good effect for his club. But Alavés will mostly depend upon Salvadoran international Cristian Ãlvarez whose ability to pull the strings from behind the front pair of strikers will be absolutely crucial this season. The midfielder’s ability to pick out a defence-splitting pass is highly treasured by Alavés, but he also supports that with the ability to score goals from deep, and should he have a good season for his club, Alavés will no doubt be pushing for a position in the top ten. Another player to keep an eye on for Alavés this season is Dutch defender Matthew Altena. The defender moved from Dutch club AZ Alkmaar to Alavés in the winter transfer period of last season, and looked fairly impressive. Strong both in the air and along the ground, many at Alavés believe that Matthew is a future Dutch international, and playing in one of Europe’s best leagues will no doubt strengthen his claim for a spot in the Netherlands’ international squad for the World Cup qualifiers.

Star quality: Undoubtedly, Cristian Ãlvarez is the player to watch in the Alavés side. A player of immense vision and with the passing ability to match, he is the man to make it happen for Alavés this season. He will be ably assisted by Carlos Jacques down the flanks, but when Ãlvarez fires, Alavés has to be a chance.

It’s been a very lean run for Athletic Bilbao since the Basque club won the Primera Liga back in 2002/03. This culminated in the club finishing a lowly 15th last season, which also coincided with the resignation of former French international Luis Fernandez. Sven-Göran Eriksson took over the reigns of the club a week later, but the club’s desire to sign only Basque players has essentially handicapped the Swedish manager’s ability to attract the best players to the club. Therefore, much will again rely upon Spanish international Joseba Etxeberría, who scored a vital goal in Spain’s victory at Euro 2008. The Athletic Bilbao captain has been astonishingly faithful to the club he joined from Real Sociedad back in 1995/96, and all his international experience will be vital to Señor Eriksson as he attempts to drag Athletic Bilbao away from dangerous flirtations with relegation. However, behind Etxeberría there is precious little quality in the squad. The departure of Jorge Peréz for Celta Vigo at the end of last season has left Etxeberría doing practically all the attacking work for the club. At the back, much will rely upon the defensive skills of Francisco Javier Jusué to hold the defence together. Only the most optimistic Athletic Bilbao supporter could see their club rising from the ashes of a poor 2007/08 season to make a good fist of this season.

Star quality: Without their inspirational captain, Joseba Etxeberría, Athletic Bilbao would be lost. The only trouble is that Joseba is now on the wrong side of 30, and he isn’t getting any younger. Restricted to buying only Basque players, replacing Joseba when he finally departs the scene will be even more difficult than just impossible. He is Athletic Bilbao’s great white hope this season.

Atlético Madrid’s consistent yo-yoing between the Primera Liga and the Segunda Liga reflects the volatility of its president, Señor Jesús Gil. Back in the top flight of Spain after being promoted for finishing third in the division, the club lost its manager, Señor Andoni Goikoetxea to Mallorca in the summer. Señor Ãlvaro Pérez replaced the former manager, and has looked towards experience to keeping the club in the Primera Liga this season. Ronald Gomez, the veteran Costa Rican striker, joins the unhappy Sene Djaló up front for Madrid’s second club, while former Brazilian international midfielder Vágner has been brought in to bring steel into midfield. Argentine full-back Cristian Cellay also brings some defensive strengths to the back line, to partner the centre halves, Gaizka Garitano and Flávio. Nevertheless, despite the amount of experience in the Atlético Madrid squad, it is difficult to see the club really prospering this season. Perhaps there is enough there to survive the season, but given Señor Gil’s notorious temper, the manager may not have enough time to find the right mix of players that minimises the chances of relegation at the end of the season.

Star quality: He’s moody and wants to get away as far as possible from Señor Jesús Gil, but unquestionably he is a cut above the rest at Atlético Madrid. He is the Guinea-Bissau striker, Sene Djaló, and already his reputation in Spain as one of the most predatory strikers has been cemented. But in order to avoid reputation this season, the club will need to keep the international happy and ensure he scores as many goals as he can, for each will be priceless in the long struggle against relegation.

One club that won’t be looking at trying to avoid relegation, and indeed will be chasing for championship honours at the end of the season is Barcelona. Compared with previous seasons, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer has spent with restraint, signing English U-21 international Trever Pilkington from Getafe for £6.75 million and Mexican international winger Daniel Osorno from Sevilla for £7.5 million. Their cost was more than off-set by the sale of the unhappy Gerard to Fiorentina in the summer for £16.75 million. The Spanish international had felt that his position in Barcelona was under threat, despite the fact that he was the club captain, and he believed it was time to move on. However, Barcelona seems to have the strength in depth to cope with his departure. Experienced Juan Sebastián Verón, the highly talented Matteo Brighi and Ricardo Jorge, and the Brazilian wizard Alex are all capable of providing the creativity required by the likes of Patrick Kluivert, Ronaldo and Cristian Bardaro. However, the chink in the armour of Barcelona is perhaps its defence. Last season, Barcelona was hit for six by Cartagonova at the Nou Camp, stunning the home crowd, but appears that Señor Serra Ferrer has not seen fit to remedy that area of the squad. Veterans Alessandro Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro remain key parts of the squad, along with former Cartagonova defender Jukka Hakala. Barcelona will of course be in the hunt for the title right until the end of the season, but whether their apparent lack of concern for the ageing legs of its defence will be their undoing in the end will be seen.

Star quality: Everywhere you turn in this Barcelona squad, there is plenty of quality, and there is of course strength in depth. But the biggest and brightest star must be the Italian international Matteo Brighi. He can make things happen for the Catalan club in a twinkling of an eye, with a side step, a flick pass, or a thunderous drive that ends up in the back of the net. With 59 international caps under his belt and at the age of 27, Brighi, purchased two seasons ago for a record price of £39 million from Juventus, is one of the best players in the world, let alone Spain.

Unlike many of his counterparts, Señor Francisco Herrera, the manager of Real Betis, has been busy on the transfer market. After several disappointing seasons since returning to the Primera Liga back in 2004/05, it is time for the club to go places, according to the demanding chairman, Señor Manuel Ruiz de Lopera. To that end, Real Betis has signed the experienced Enrique de Lucas and Iván Rosado on Bosman transfers from Olympiakos and Real Zaragoza respectively, while Pablo Islas, the Argentine striker, was signed from Hércules for £5 million. Real Betis then paid £3.6 million to Getafe for the Brazilian Maradona, while midfielder Iván Moreno y Fabianesi joined from Rosario Central for £1.1 million. To complete the spending spree, Real Betis splashed £1.7 million on Polish international wing-back Jaroslaw Mangold. So, in a club with plenty of experience brought in from elsewhere, there is little that stands out in what is still only a mid-table club. Former Spanish international wingers José Antonio Reyes and Francisco Javier Farinós stand out, but beyond them, there is little to distinguish Real Betis. It is a far cry from the days of Denílson, but there is solidity in the experience in the first team, while in Real Betis B 20 year old midfielder Diego Benítez, there is some hope for the future.

Star quality: José Antonio Reyes represented Spain in the last Olympic Games, and while he couldn’t quite crack it for a first team place at Valencia after moving there from cross-town rival Sevilla after the Games, he is back to forge his reputation and attract the attention of Spanish manager, Señor Dixie Flatline. With pace to burn and an instinctive sense of where to position himself to best advantage, Reyes knows how to put together a good pass to unhinge a defence, and should be at his creative best, Real Betis’ forwards, including new boy Pablo Islas, should be salivating at the thought of scoring goals. At 24 years old, there is still some way to go before this exciting left winger goes to reach his peak, and Real Betis will undoubtedly reap the rewards.

Señor Dixie Flatline returns for his ninth season in charge of the champion club, Cartagonova refreshed and revitalised after guiding Spain to its first major trophy in full international competition since 1964. The Spanish side was built around the brilliance of winger Jaime Garrido, the midfield general Gavião, and defender César, while the likes of Iván Vidal and José Manuel Redondo also played their part in Spain’s success. Now, with the first World Cup qualifiers less than a fortnight away, Señor Flatline has tinkered with the Spanish squad and has introduced both César Cabrera and Juan Hernández to the international fold. Couple these players with the likes of Alex Notman, Kristian Tanem, George Clegg and Per Vener Rønning, and you have the makings of a squad capable of winning back-to-back championships. Now that players like Edú, Byron Bubb, Zlatan Muslimovic, Ola Otfors-Palqmvist, Jesús and Davide Bagnacani are in the squad, then Cartagonova are well-positioned to challenge for the title for another season. The experience of veterans Lilian Thuram and Rivaldo to provide support from the squad will also be essential in keeping level heads as the demands of another long season begin to wear upon the squad. Cartagonova and its manager have been there and done that, so there is no real reason why they won’t be at the pinnacle of Spanish football come next May, challenging for yet more honours for the southern club.

Star quality: In a championship-winning squad, it is difficult of course to pick out one player that dominates all others. It is, of course, what separates the winners from the also-rans. Players like José Manuel Redondo, Alex Notman, George Clegg, Shimon Gershon, Michel, Gavião and Iván Vidal have been instrumental in the club’s recent success. But the one player who has the potential to become Spain’s next superstar footballer is Jaime Garrido. Originally from Seville, where he made his debut with Real Betis, he joined the club for £5.75 million. Two years later, he has two Primera Liga winners’ medals, a European Champions' League winners’ medal, and a Euro 2008 winners’ medal to his name. And there is the promise of much more to come. At just 24 years old, he is still to reach his peak, and when he does, the rest of Spain will sit up and take notice. A wizard with the ball at his feet, he is capable of penetrating deep into hostile territory before finding the right pass to unhinge even the most sturdiest of defences. Plus, he has been described by some in the Cartagena media as a future captain of both club and country, and his maturity is yet another asset to Cartagonova. His bright future must be assured.

For so long one of the bridesmaids of Spanish football, Celta Vigo has been near the top but never quite there. Señor Víctor Fernández has assembled a highly talented and vastly experienced squad, but that is just code for a squad that is aging. And the transfer policy over the summer hasn’t helped, with Jorge Pérez joining on a free transfer from Athletic Bilbao, Julen Guerrero being picked up for free, and Espín coming for £3.8 million from Sevilla. Marcelo Gallardo and Marcelo Astudillo are both dynamite in midfield, with able support from Francisco Javier Casquero, while the attack of Diego Ribera and Benni McCarthy is reliable. However, there seems to be little infusion of new youth in the squad, although the emergence in the last season or so of Enrique Kortina, a versatile attacking midfielder, gives hope that Celta Vigo’s next batch of talented players may finally beginning to emerge. But should the long season catch up with players like Gustavo López, Julen Guerrero, Eduardo Tuzzio, Francisco Javier Casquero and their like, then Celta Vigo’s chances of winning the Primera Liga this season have diminished greatly even at this early stage of the season.

Star quality: He might now be 32 years old, but former Argentine international Marcelo Gallardo’s talent still dominates the play for Celta Vigo. The former Monaco midfielder, who came to Spain with Valencia back in 2002/03, was an absolute bargain for Celta when he was signed for just £1.9 million. Since then, his accuracy at dead ball situations, and his range of passing ability has spelt trouble for opposition clubs and given Celta Vigo the vital edge. Make sure to keep more than just one eye on this player when Celta are playing, because their opponents will surely be troubled by him.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gificon_cool.gif

Dixie Flatline

It was a desperately close call for Deportivo La Coruña last time out, as they came within a hair’s breadth of dropping out of the Primera Liga season. But through the heroics of the inspirational Iván Amaya, they pulled it out of the relegation fire and ensured another season of Primera Liga. But manager Señor Vicente del Bosque did not diagnose anything wrong with the squad per se, as he only spent minimal money in the transfer market during the summer. Felix Lawal, a Nigerian midfielder, and young goalkeeper Sebastián Pascual were signed for just over £1.5 million in total. Instead, Señor del Bosque will once again turn to Amaya to provide the leadership and defensive skills, Kim Källström to provide the touch of class in midfield, and Ignacio Morán the goals up front. If Señor del Bosque is right, then Deportivo will be once again up there looking at the heady heights of European qualification, but if he is wrong, then it will again be a grim struggle to avoid relegation. It will be fascinating to watch.

Star quality: When it was really needed, Iván stood up and was counted at the end of last season. With his club in trouble, the captain took it upon himself to provide the leadership to those around to steady the ship and guide it out of the troubled waters they found themselves in. Now with almost 50 caps of international experience to call upon, he is respected both in the club and outside, in the league and at international level and he returns to his club a national hero with a Euro 2008 winners’ medal around his neck. A tough, solid, no-nonsense defender, Iván knows exactly what the score is and how to get the job done. Dependable and reliable, Deportivo La Coruña will need his skills and mental fortitude like never before as they seek to rebuild from a disastrous season.

Elche is another club who has played the transfer market heavily in the off-season, bringing in nine players. But it will still be the same players as before that will be relied upon by Elche during the season. Mexican international defender Oscar Mascorro is a versatile and talented player who is capable of going up forward and scoring a few goals himself. But he will be valued mainly for his defensive attributes, which he has put to good use for Elche since coming to Spain from Mexican club Monterray in 2005/06. Attacking midfielder, Roy González is another prized asset for Elche, and the strike partnership of Pedro Guede and Nano, who have performed well for Elche in the past, will rely upon the Argentine’s creative vision heavily this season. Elche have consistently finished in the middle of the Primera Liga table, and there is no reason to suggest why they would not achieve that result again this season. But, if you’re not going forward, then you’re going backward, and Elche’s fans must be craving better success than just finishing in the limbo of mid-table.

Star quality: Bought by Elche for just £600,000 from Mexican club Monterray, there is no doubt that if he was to be sold now, Elche would realise a very handsome profit on Mexican international Oscar Mascarro. While primarily used as a defender in Spanish football, Elche has the luxurious option of throwing the experienced player forward to score goals when the situation calls for it. Fairly quick and strong, Oscar has 55 international caps and 8 international goals to his name - a very handy record for a club that looks to signing talent as cheaply as possible like Elche. Capable of running all day, Oscar also has the organisational intelligence to marshal the troops around him and ensure that they do not lose their heads in the heat of battle on the pitch. Although the partnership of Guede and Nano have previously produced the goods for Elche, their age is beginning to tell against them. Mascarro represents the step forward for Elche.

Forever living in the shadow of its powerful cross-town rival, Espanyol has quietly assembled a good squad that took it to within a hair’s breadth of capturing the Copa del Rey last season. As the new millennium dawned some eight seasons ago, Espanyol was struggling at the foot of the table, but some insightful transfer policies and the encouragement of Francisco Javier Zubizarreta to ultimately international representation for Spain at Euro 2008, where he scored the clinching goal in the final against Russia, has shown the way for other clubs in the top flight. Although the managerial merry-go-round has seen four new managers walk through the club’s doors since 2004, the club has put together a solid club based around the emerging talents of Zubizarreta. He is ably assisted by Paraguayan international Nelson Cuevas, and the wily Brazilian international midfielder Thiago Motta, who ironically first began his football career at Barcelona. The defence, too, is quite solid, with the additions in the summer of former Real Betis and Spanish Olympian defender Diego Maínz, current U-21 international centre-half, Fernando Arias from Salamanca, and goalkeeper David Lundin from Getafe. Óscar Rodrigo is also a star of the future in the defence while erstwhile Brazilian international Fábio Aurélio has had stints at Celta Vigo and Benfica before joining Espanyol. Perhaps the strike force is Espanyol’s weak point. Unless Zubizarreta is played up-front, and his recent displays at Euro 2008 suggests his best position is in mid-field, Espanyol looks weak, as it relies upon Raúl Tamudo, Sebastián Abreu, and the aging Martín Posse. Perhaps an infusion of new talent in that area was required over the off-season, but that opportunity is gone until the winter. The lack of strike power may hamper Espanyol’s chase to reach European qualification, and perhaps another mid-table finish beckons for Barcelona’s second club.

Star quality: Since making his debut for the full team back in 2003/04, everybody who has seen him believes that he is something special. Francisco Javier Zubizarreta underlined just how good he can be when he wrote his name in the record books with Spain’s first goal in its 2-1 victory over Russia in Euro 2008’s final. He also set up Joseba Etxeberría’s sealing goal to deservedly take home the man of the match award in that game. Unfortunately for Espanyol and Spain, he misses the first couple weeks of the season with a sprained ankle, but once he is fully fit and raring to go, he will be a great asset to the success of both club and country. At just 23 years old, there is no doubt that his best football is ahead of him, and already the big clubs, like Cartagonova, Barcelona and Real Madrid are beginning to circle around him. But Espanyol will be determined to keep him for as long as possible, in order to gain the most from his talent.

Unfortunately, an average squad age of 30 says a lot for Mallorca as it attempts to remain in the Primera Liga this season after being promoted as champion of the Segunda Liga last season. But there is a big jump in quality from the Segunda Liga to the Primera Liga and fans of the island club should be very worried that apart from players like Roberto Losada and Michel, there is precious little quality or youth in the squad to keep them going for an entire season. It seems that Mallorca’s finances aren’t what they used to be, and their transfer policy this season reflects such dire straits. The biggest fee paid by Mallorca to bring a player to the club was just £275,000, while Bosman free transfers also featured heavily. Relying upon the likes of Milen Petkov and Tony Grant, and the aging legs of Luis Alfonso to hold together the defence, will not be enough to keep the club in the Primera Liga this season.

Star quality: The really worrying thing about Mallorca’s squad is that there is precious little star quality on show. To find something, you have to look towards 31 year old Roberto Losada, who has remained loyal with Mallorca since joining the island club back in 2002/03 from Real Oviedo. But the striker, who has made three international appearances, has not fully realised his talent, and although last season was his best with 18 goals from 41 appearances, it is probably too late to make amends for that. Nevertheless, his goals will be crucial as Mallorca tries to fight the predictions and the odds that they will go straight back down this season.

For Numancia, it was a very busy time on the transfer market during the summer, ten players making their way to Soria to join the club, six players left (two going into retirement). Perhaps the biggest name to join the club was former Barcelona midfielder, Gabri, who finally tired of his lack of opportunity at the big Catalan club and opted for regular first team football at a club that would gratefully welcome his signature. He was joined at Numancia by former Real Zaragoza winger José Manuel Izquierdo, who has caught the eye in Real Zaragoza’s second team, but is yet to make his first team debut at the age of 20. Good things are expected of Izquierdo in the future. Former French international Laurent Chalier is brought in from Auxerre to also provide some creativity down the flanks, while the defence receives a boost with the arrival of Uruguayan international Gustavo Correa from Italian club Pistoiese and Argentine defender Facundo Quiroga from Salernitana. But Numancia will pin most of its hopes on a player who came in the winter of 2007 - Fernando Morán, signed from Lleida for just £240,000 and already attracting the eye of clubs like Cartagonova. The attacking midfielder packs a powerful shot, and if Numancia could harness his talents, he would certainly be a great asset. But that is in the future. Right now, the club must concentrate on maintaining its good run of mid-table finishes, with eleventh, twelfth and twelfth in the last three seasons. The club doesn’t score many goals, but then again, its defence is also quite tight, which makes for low-scoring encounters, but on the whole quite successful for the club. Another season like that would do very much for the fans of the club that struggles financially as compared to its fellow Primera Liga battlers.

Star quality: He might now be well over 30 years old, but spending six seasons at Paris-Saint-Germain and then another two at Lazio means that he has to have some talent. And Numancia fans celebrated the news that the club had signed Brazilian striker Christian on a Bosman free transfer during the summer. At 33 years of age, no doubt his best form is now behind him, but talent outlasts form, and he will be a welcome addition to a club that historically has struggled to score goals consistently. Powerful and strong in the air, Christian also possesses that Brazilian flair that sets them apart from other players, and he can use his pace to good effect to find that crucial space to crash home a scoring shot. Numancia hopes they see such efforts often.

Like Numancia, Osasuna has often had to do it quite tough in the Primera Liga, but they have stuck to their guns and ridden out the onslaught. But now the club is threatened by an internal row over one of its best players, the Brazilian striker, Jurandir. The 29 year old first made his name at Zamora when he scored 11 goals in 22 appearances and gave notice that he was something special when he took on Cartagonova in a Copa del Rey game. Osasuna was quick to spot the talent and snapped him up for £350,000. But now a pay dispute has set Jurandir off-side with many of his teammates and the Osasuna hierarchy has some serious man-management to carry out this season to keep the team from splitting apart. The club also relies upon former Bayern München man Samuel Kuffour to keep things tight at the back, along with goalkeeper Andrés Palop. Former Brazilian international Flávio Conceição brings steel to the middle of the park for Osasuna while former Newcastle player Yossi Benayoun knows how to turn it on when he needs to. Osasuna has a good squad and will certainly maintain its position in the Primera Liga, but in the last eight season, has not finished in the top ten, and with the continuing dispute set to fester, Osasuna may not expect much better in the coming season.

Star quality: While Jurandir’s energies are devoted to fighting the club rather than fighting the cause for the club, he is a much reduced player. But if he ever gets back on song for Osasuna, then opposition defences had better watch the Brazilian very carefully indeed. With good pace, Jurandir is able to exploit his very good finishing ability, and it is very difficult for opponents to remove the ball when it is at his feet. Not only that, but Jurandir is capable in the air, with a powerful jump and heading ability. Osasuna need a happy Jurandir this season.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

Dixie Flatline

Some more from Cartagonova!

Señor Rafael Benítez has worked admirably within a tight budget to bring several future stars to Racing Santander in the past couple of seasons. With a small stadium and apparently neglected training facilities, it isn’t easy for the manager to talk up his club, but the drawcard of Spanish international regular Diego has been one trump up Señor Benítez’s sleeve. With it, he has attracted U-21 internationals, the defender Fernando Urrutia and midfielder José Antonio Castaño, while the likes of 18 year old striker Adolfo Torres and 21 year old striker José Pérez seem to have a bright future ahead of him. With experience like Leyder Preciado, Diego Klimowicz and Claudio Husaín guiding the way, if Racing Santander could get their off-field finances in order, then this club could really go places. As it is, the club has struggled to stave off relegation in the past three seasons since returning to the top flight, and while the talent is there, so often Racing Santander has struggled to make an impact against the big boys of the division. Unless the house can be put in order, and quickly, then it seems that Racing Santander will forever be struggling against the odds.

Star quality: Unquestionably, Diego is the heart and soul of the Racing Santander squad. Of course, the manager would be quick to deny that Racing Santander is a one man side, but without Diego in the starting eleven, the club would look very week indeed. Very capable of holding down the key central midfielder slot, Diego is also strong up front and has scored three goals in 17 international appearances for Spain. At 29 years old, Diego prefers not the limelight of the captaincy and its attendant media duties, but to work behind the scenes to lift morale around the camp. A physically powerful player, his very presence on the pitch inspires those around him to lift another cog. But he has the passing ability and the creativity to match his physique, and while central midfielders don’t normally dribble with the ball at their feet, Diego is capable of taking on any defence and having a lash. With the likes of Jonathan and Ivan Leko around him, Racing Santander can build a good midfield with Diego at the heart of it.

In contrast with other Primera Liga outfits, Real Madrid has been very quiet on the transfer front, bringing in only the experienced Argentine right winger José María Chatruc on a Bosman free transfer from Lazio. The big loss, of course, was that of Pablo Aimar, who left for AC Milan for £32.5 million. The influential Argentine international played magnificently for Real Madrid last season and his departure will leave a very big hold that is hard to fill for manager Señor César García García. Of course, the hugely talented Ronaldinho remains at the club, but for the fans of Real Madrid there appears to be no idols left, what with the departures of Raúl, Fernando Morientes and now Pablo Aimar over the past few seasons. With the balance of Spanish football power beginning to shift to the south of the country with Cartagonova, Real Madrid needs to start reasserting itself in order to maintain its grip upon the imagination of all Spaniards. But last season saw an alarming fact emerge. Real Madrid looked to be cruising towards the title during the middle of the season, but a series of hiccups, particularly at the impregnable Santiago Bernabéu left Real Madrid trailing the eventual champion Cartagonova by eight points at the end of the season. For the fans, that isn’t good enough and they will expect much more this season. But who will deliver? Apart from Ronaldinho and Sabino up forward there seems to be less quality in this Real Madrid outfit than in many before. Players like Gianluca Zambrotta, Edgar Davids, Matías Almeyda and Christian Colusso are all into their thirties, while Rubén Navarro has failed to fire since returning from Bari in the winter. Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua, who won a championship with Cartagonova, and Andrés Nicolás Olivera are both talented players but have struggled recently to command regular places in Real Madrid’s first eleven. It is a season full of questions for Spain’s most famous club.

Star quality: The 30 year old striker Sabino has been a fans’ favourite since he joined Real Madrid from Cartagonova back in 2006/07. Last season, he scored 32 goals in 46 appearances and finished third in the scorers’ sheet in the Primera Liga with 19 goals in the league. He also earned his first international cap as he made his appearance against England. While not overly blessed with pace, Sabino has wonderful football instincts, and he puts them to good use when looking for goals. Packing a powerful shot, he also knows the team’s game and will make himself available in order to further the team’s cause - not every striker will be so selfless in using his energies even with no prospect of a reward. Capable of scoring goals from practically any angle, Sabino however isn’t afraid to take a shot when the opportunity is there, and as many opponents discovered last season, he usually scores from them. Real Madrid look forward to the experienced striker producing more of the same this season.

Unlike another Basque side, Real Sociedad has no qualms signing non-Basque players, and in the summer the club scored a coup when it unveiled former Juventus and Italy international forward Alessandro del Piero to its fans. The 33 year old is no longer the player he once was, but he will be a good addition to a squad that needs some infusion of quality. Joseba Llorente has established himself as a favourite with Spanish manager, Señor Flatline, and Brazilian midfielder Rodrigo is also a valuable player for Real Sociedad. But a club can’t be built around just those two players, and Real Sociedad has looked for more quality players in the last few seasons. Mikel Aranburu, who has appeared on occasion for Spain, is a player who Real Sociedad will be anxious to hold onto, while Athletic Bilbao is reportedly preparing an offer for striker Felipe. Real Sociedad certainly has many serviceable players, but you don’t get very far without quality, and Real Sociedad seems a little short of it. It’s little wonder, therefore, that Real Sociedad finished seventh, when with a few extra players, they could be pushing further up the ladder.

Star quality: Rodrigo has been a favourite with the fans since he joined the Basque club from Espanyol for £6.25 million back in 2002/03. Now 32 years old, his international career seems over, with 16 caps to his name, but his experience and talent are still very useful for Real Sociedad to tap. His pace hasn’t seemed to have diminished too much, and he is a very useful player when orchestrating a dead ball situation around the opponent’s penalty box. Of course, Rodrigo can’t do everything by himself, but he remains a very important part of Real Sociedad’s plans for this season.

Sporting Gijón was a club a few seasons ago that threatened to take the next step and challenge regularly for a place in Spain’s contingent in the European Champions' League, and perhaps even for the title. But while clubs like Cartagonova took up the challenge to Real Madrid and Barcelona, Sporting Gijón seemed to go backwards for a couple of seasons, and only now are they assembling a squad that has the depth and talent to really go places this season. The capture of former Dutch international Cedric van der Gun from Turkish club Besiktas on a free transfer is a big coup for the club, and with support from Haruna Babangida and veteran midfielder Pedro Munitis, players like Nicolás Pavlovich, and Francisco Javier Hernández should expect plenty of chances to come their way this season. While he may no longer be in Spain’s plans for international fixtures, Sergio is a very good defender and he has formed a good partnership with Japanese international defender Yuji Nakazawa. After two seasons in the lower reaches of the Primera Liga, it is perhaps too much to see Sporting Gijón back in the top five as they strove to achieve on a regular basis after promotion back in 2001/02. But the fans will expect that the club finishes in the top ten, to make best use of the talent at the manager’s disposal.

Star quality: Like Sabino of Real Madrid, Francisco Javier Hernández is not the quickest striker playing the game today. But what he lacks in pace he makes up for in intelligent use of the ball, and a powerful shot that will disturb many a net this season - or so Sporting Gijón’s fans will hope. The striker was considered to be a target for Cartagonova at one point, but while those rumours seem to have died down recently, he is still a quality striker that will prove to be a valuable asset to Sporting Gijón this season. However, he is yet really to prove himself at the top level in Spain, and this season will prove to be a litmus test for whether he can really harness his talents to best effect.

Valencia has decided that quality, not quantity is the best policy when it comes to the transfer market this season, with £16 million spent on two players - £9 million making its way to AC Milan for the English international defender Izzy Iriekpen, while Atlético Madrid’s balance was improved to the tune of £7 million for the signature of Quique. The signing of Iriekpen improves an already strong defence, with Argentine defender Matías Donnet the linchpin. Supported by the likes of Spanish international Borja, Guly and Lucas Castromán, Valencia will prove to be a tough nut to crack for many opponents this season. There is also plenty of talent in midfield for Valencia to utilise when the time is right. Hugo Leal, Ivan Juric and Dennis Onichtenchenko would normally walk into another club’s first eleven, but given the fact that Valencia has the likes of Boudewijn Zenden, Gaizka Mendieta, Stefano Fiore and Mattias Jonsson all playing for the club, there is plenty of riches available. Martín Palermo has lost his strike partner Javier Saviola to Fiorentina, but Óscar del Pino is being tipped by many as a future Spanish international striker. With talent in every position, Valencia must be considered a threat to finish at least in the top five, and given some luck, which is always needed in a long season, they might even challenge for the title. The talent is definitely there - all there needs to be now are the results.

Star quality: At just 22 years old, Óscar del Pino has come a long way in a short time. For a Spaniard, his trip to the big time has taken a rather circuitous route. Making his football league debut with Lleida back in 2002/03, the striker then moved to Rosenborg, where he made his name in the Norwegian league. Valencia took stock of the striker when they sent several scouts to check him out, and with a big Spanish club courting the young striker, the inevitable occurred, and he moved back to his home country in 2007/08, for a bargain price of £1.6 million. At 22 years old, his career path is still on the up and up, and already there are signs that del Pino will be an exceptional talent. With Martín Palermo along side him to show him the ropes of being a striker, there is no doubt that Óscar is well equipped to go far in his chosen profession.

Villarreal has really only dipped its toe in the transfer market this off-season, but the big name to arrive at the club is former West Ham and Celtic midfielder, Frank Lampard, who came from Scotland for £2.2 million. He finds a club still struggling to adjust after the loss of its talisman, the Norwegian international Kristian Tanem, who joined Cartagonova this time last season. While players like Artur and Adolfo are important to the club’s continued presence in the top flight, Tanem was the difference between European qualification and a mid-table finish, which is what Villarreal achieved last season. But Tanem is now gone, and the acid is really on players like Adolfo and Walter Gaitán to harness their talent efficiently and well.

Dixie Flatline

There is always more to Cartagonova!

Star quality: The 27 year old defensive midfielder Artur has been in and out of the Spanish squad since Señor Dixie Flatline took over the reigns at the beginning of the Euro 2008 qualifiers. There is no doubt he is a very talented player, and since the departure of Kristian Tanem, the midfielder’s importance to Villarreal has increased significantly. While not overly blessed with pace, the importance of Artur to Villarreal rests mainly in his passing and tackling skills. Further, however, Artur is also a gifted leader, and has been very influential in keeping the team together in the wake of Tanem’s departure. After returning from a successful Euro 2008 campaign, the former Real Betis midfielder has had an impressive pre-season campaign and looks set to lead Villarreal again this season.

Last but certainly not least is Real Zaragoza, who finally satisfied its fans when it returned to the Primera Liga as second in the Segunda Liga behind Mallorca last season. Two seasons spent in the second division of Spain are two seasons too many for the fans, who expected Real Zaragoza to be a Primera Liga team for many consecutive seasons. But now that the club is back in the big time, what are their chances of surviving an always delicate first season in the Primera Liga? Señor Asier de la Cruz has moved to strengthen the squad in the off-season, bringing in many experienced players, such as Moreno Torricelli, Colombian international midfielder Mayer Candelo, and defender Pedro Nieto. But the additions to the squad has not really made an impression on the putative first eleven that Señor de la Cruz would choose with a full squad available. Players like Diego Placente, Jordi Ferrón, Donato Sánchez Caballero, Jurica Vucko and Iván Kaviedes are players that the club will look to keep the club in the top flight at the end of the season. All these players have first division experience, and all will be required to produce their best in Real Zaragoza’s first season back in the Primera Liga. It will be a struggle for Real Zaragoza, but they do have the class in the first eleven to maintain their status as a Primera Liga club this season.

Star quality: Iván Kaviedes has been a Real Zaragoza player for eight seasons now, but only been a regular for the last four. Until last season, he did not really make a big impact upon the fortunes of the club, but 19 goals in 44(1) appearances assisted his club in making a return to the Primera Liga. Now 30 years of age, and a naturalised Spaniard, Kaviedes has played 58 times for Ecuador, scoring 24 goals in the process. He packs a powerful shot, and has the ability with the ball at his feet to ensure that defenders have a tough time denying him the chance to shoot. While his ball distribution skills may be a little lacking when compared to other strikers at Primera Liga clubs, Kaviedes’ prime purpose at the club is to score goals, and should he succeed like he did last season at that task, then Real Zaragoza should have no problems in scoring sufficient goals to remain in the top flight for at least a season.

24th of August 2008

Super Cup - 2nd leg: Cartagonova v Celta Vigo

With the Spanish league season not scheduled to start for another three weeks, the whole of Spain will be glued to their televisions to watch this game between the Spanish champion and the Copa del Rey winner. Unfortunately, trailing 2-0 on the first leg means, to me at least, that the whole competition is fairly meaningless, and I decide to treat the team selection in much the same way. With many of my big guns unavailable through injury or suspension, I decide to give Ramón a rare start on the left in place of Michel, Zlatan Muslimovic gets a gig going through the centre of the park behind the front pair of Edú and Notman. Gershon and Wingård get another chance to get to know each other as Smith is only now returning to light training.

For most of the game, we are on the back foot as Celta Vigo come out to finish us off. Diego Ribera is particularly menacing and he fires an early warning shot just over the bar from 30 yards on 9 minutes. Thuram fires Vidal’s goal kick towards Notman in the centre, but the big Scot’s header drops over the bar rather than beneath it. The evergreen Gustavo López stings Vidal’s reflexes with a stinging drive on 17 minutes that the keeper does well to beat away, and seven minutes later Morales gives Vidal something to think about. Notman finally tests Asper with 29 minutes on the clock, but the Swede comfortably deals with the Scot’s 25 yard drive, albeit at the cost of a corner which Salas wastes. Diego Ribera then rampages through the heart of my defence only to see his long range effort career over the bar. He then misses a sitter of a header on 34 minutes after good work by Jorge Pérez. To end the half, Muslimovic forges through Celta Vigo’s defence, but can’t find the finishing touch, with his shot cannoning back off the cross-bar. In injury time, however, Tanem tackles the asleep Casquero, keeps possession and unleashes a cracking drive from 20 yards that Asper does brilliantly to save, to the disappointment of the parochial home supporters. But that is matched by a similar effort from Diego Ribera to bring the curtain down on an entertaining, if scoreless, first half.

But with only 45 minutes to turn the tie around, things are looking a little grim in the dressing rooms. Celta Vigo have dominated possession and with a little more luck could be leading us on the night. We hold the tide back for the first thirteen minutes of the new half, but Diego Ribera is proving too much for Gershon to handle, and the Spanish international is in the thick of things on 57 minutes, missing another attempt by scant inches after good play by the youngster Enrique Kortina. Garrido pops up a moment later to push Asper into a good save from Salas’ cross. But the breakthrough comes on 60 minutes when the substitute Benni McCarthy skips past Gershon, nutmegs Garrido outrageously and then plants an unstoppable shot past Vidal’s left hand in the top corner. icon_frown.gif His 100th goal for Celta Vigo is something a bit special from the lad.

I immediately respond, taking off the ineffective Edú for Otfors-Palmqvist and replacing Salas with Bubb, swapping him with Garrido. Muslimovic should have equalised immediately, but fluffs his chance in front of goal and allows Asper to gratefully dive upon his mi**** shot. But on 63 minutes, we’re back in the contest when Otfors-Palmqvist streaks away down the left before putting a beautiful ball in front of Notman, who buries the chance with typical glee to open his account for the season. Two minutes later, the Scot hits the post, but Celta Vigo should have won when Diego Ribera, whose work has deserved a goal, fails to capitalise on Kortina’s excellent work. McCarthy proceeds to hit another chance over the bar, while on 79 minutes, Jorge Pérez is foiled by a great save from Iván Vidal. With 11 minutes to play, I play my last card, taking off the tiring Muslimovic for Juan Hernández, and hoping that a three-pronged attack will unhinge Celta Vigo’s defence sufficiently enough to let us back into the contest. Of course it doesn’t, and Celta Vigo hold out easily to the final whistle, claiming the Spanish Super Cup 3-1 on aggregate and denying us our fourth straight success in this competition.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, WingÃ¥rd, Thuram; Salas (Bubb 60), Tanem, Garrido; Muslimovic (Hernández 79); Edú (Otfors-Palmqvist 60), Notman.

Celta Vigo (4-3-2-1): Asper; Sorín, Quique Ãlvarez, Marchena ©, Tuzzio (Enrique Kortina 55); Casquero, Astudillo, Morales; Gustavo López (McCarthy 55), Jorge Pérez; Diego Ribera.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Celta Vigo

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 1:3 Celta Vigo

MoM - Iván Vidal

With no competitive fixtures scheduled until our first European Champions' League game against Glasgow Celtic on 9th of September, I decide to squeeze in one more friendly game, and I invite Belgian club Charleroi to make the trip to Spain to play the Spanish champion.

Charleroi enthusiastically respond to my proposal in the evening, and the game is set for 31st of August.

25th of August 2008

The papers this morning are full of transfer rumours that Barcelona will soon make a bid of £12 million for Diego, while apparently Valencia are also lining up a bid for the Spanish international utility. But the rumours are stronger that Elche striker Nano will depart for Real Zaragoza in the winter for £7 million, with Elche manager Señor José Manuel Gutiérrez confirming that the striker is set to leave the club.

I replace the injured Ignacio Morán with Real Madrid striker Rubén Navarro after the 21 year old Deportivo La Coruña is forced out of the Spanish squad with a twisted knee. But he will be back.

26th of August 2008

Atlético Madrid wastes its time bidding for César. Not even £5 million would convince me to sell, so of course £2 million is nowhere near close.

I remember why the Spanish season starts so late - next weekend is international (World Cup qualifying) weekend, and I won’t have squad to take on Charleroi. I hastily cancel the fixture. Fortunately, very few tickets were sold for the event, and those who did buy tickets were quickly refunded their money.

27th of August 2008

Real Betis wastes its time making an offer for César.

29th of August 2008

English international midfielder Jimmy Bullard goes north of the border to Celtic in a move worth £13.5 million to West Ham. It’s always the same story for West Ham - cultivate the young talented player and then cash in when a bigger club comes knocking.

In the evening, I’m contacted at the Spanish training base just outside Warsaw by UEFA wanting me to supply Cartagonova’s 25-strong squad for the first phase of the European Champions' League. Luckily, I had already prepared my list before I left Spain to go to Poland to prepare for Spain’s first World Cup qualifier, and I present it here:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (29 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK): 294(1) apps, 350 conceded, 26 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32

Jean-François Gillet (30 y/o, BEL 22 caps, GK): 5 apps, 6 conceded, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.60

Davide Bagnacani (28 y/o, ITA, GK): 0 apps

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (30 y/o, ISR 45 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C): 143(4) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.20

César Cabrera (23 y/o, ESP, D RL): 35(3) apps, 1 goal, 9 assists, av. rating: 6.87

César (28 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 1 goal, D RL): 34 apps, 6 assists, av. rating: 7.00

José María Lacruz (30 y/o, ESP, D RL): 190(6) apps, 2 goals, 10 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63

Lilian Thuram (36 y/o, FRA 118 caps, 6 goals, D RC): 2 apps, av. rating: 6.50

Martin Smith (30 y/o, DEN 35 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC): 25(3) apps, 3 assists, av. rating: 6.93

José Manuel Lasa (23 y/o, ESP, D C): 19 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.10

Midfielders

Gavião (28 y/o, ESP 12 caps, 2 goals, DM C): 147(5) apps, 25 goals, 31 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 7.47

Kristian Tanem (25 y/o, NOR 27 caps, 16 goals, DM/F C): 27(11) apps, 4 goals, 9 assists, av. rating: 7.22

Per Vener Rønning (25 y/o, NOR 10 caps, 2 goals, D/DM/F LC): 10(16) apps, 1 goal, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.04

Byron Bubb (26 y/o, ENG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM RC): 0(1) app, av. rating: 7.00

George Clegg (27 y/o, ENG 1 caps, AM/F RC): 136(22) apps, 41 goals, 33 assists, 11 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29

Jaime Garrido (24 y/o, ESP 13 caps, 7 goals, AM/F RLC): 70(14) apps, 15 goals, 18 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.42

Zlatan Muslimovic (27 y/o, BOS 48 caps, 21 goals, AM/F RC): 1(1) apps, av. rating: 6.50

Bojan Djordjic (26 y/o, SWE 13 caps, 1 goal, AM LC): 11(5) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.94

Michel (32 y/o, ESP, AM L): 273(12) apps, 41 goals, 64 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14

Juan Hernández (23 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C): 36(22) apps, 20 goals, 12 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.36

Forwards

Edú (29 y/o, BRA 16 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C): 2 apps, av. rating: 6.50

Alex Notman (28 y/o, SCO 20 caps, 12 goals, AM/F C): 128(6) apps, 85 goals, 37 assists, 31 MoMs, av. rating: 8.04

Ariel Carreño (28 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC): 20(16) apps, 14 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.42

Foluwasha Ameobi (26 y/o, NIG 13 caps, 3 goals, S C): 6(12) apps, 3 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.89

José Manuel Redondo (32 y/o, ESP 4 caps, 2 goals, S C): 268(11) apps, 150 goals, 69 assists, 40 MoMs, av. rating: 7.87

Dixie Flatline

Short and sweet from the Cartagonova odyssey!

30th of August 2008

Ahead of our first World Cup 2010 qualifier against Poland, let’s take a brief look at the nations making up Group 6 in Europe. We start with Armenia who will no doubt joust with Georgia and Malta for the doubtful honour of finishing last in the league. Comprised mostly of amateurs drawn from whatever competitions are held in the country, only three players actually represent clubs that participate in an organised league. Of those, only Wisla Krakow’s Wahan Geworian could be considered even remotely close to international class. The utility attacking midfielder/forward has 54 caps to his name, with 14 goals scored in that time, but he can’t be everywhere at once, and when Armenia meets a heavyweight country like Spain or Poland, expect a cricket score on the scoresheet.

Slightly more advanced in terms of its football pedigree, Georgia still won’t be expected to trouble the big nations of the group. In Wolfsburg’s Alexander Iaschwili, Georgia does have somebody who knows how to score goals, having bagged 18 goals in 57 international appearances. He will expect support from Luton Town striker Zaza Djanashia, who at 32 years old is past his prime, but will draw upon his 59 caps of experience to support Iaschwili. Spartak Moskva’s Otari Khizaneyshvili will need to hold the defence together against the odds. But perhaps Georgia’s most influential player is the Sporting Lisbon midfielder Kakha Kaladze, who has played in Portugal, Spain and the Ukraine and will act as the midfield general.

Like Armenia, Malta depends upon a few league-based players but draws its squad mostly from the ranks of amateurs in clubs on the island. But PSV Eindhoven’s Michael Mifsud, with 26 goals from 58 international caps, and Arsenal’s Chucks Nwoko, with 29 goals from 75 caps, are crucial to Malta’s chances of avoiding a drubbing every time they take the pitch. Justin Haber has experience of pressure football, playing for Galatasaray as their goalkeeper. Nevertheless, Malta should not expect much from this campaign either.

Ten years ago Poland was a whipping boy in European and world football. It was hard to imagine that the Poles could ever match their glorious achievements of finishing third in the World Cup in 1974 and 1982, or winning the Olympic Games in 1972. But in the semi-final of Euro 2008, Poland fought the eventual competition winner Spain right to the end in an absorbing 4-3 loss that had football pundits around the world gasping at the brilliance of the football played by both sides. Players like Juventus’ Miroslaw Szymkowiak and Maciej Zurawski of Bari together form one of the world’s most potent midfield combinations. Toulouse’s Michal Stasiak is fast maturing into a premier international-class defender while the veteran Alavés keeper Jerzy Dudek is also one of the most influential players in Poland’s squad. The bulk of the squad, however, is drawn from Polish club champion Legia Warsaw, and other Polish clubs are represented in the squad. Poland’s achilles heel may well be an attack that does not pose too many problems to opposition defences. In the squad announced by the Polish manager for the first two games of the qualifiers, only three players have scored more than ten international goals, with 34 year old Lyon veteran striker Tomasz Frankowski leading the way with 19 goals from 57 caps. Poland will fight it out with Spain for automatic qualification as group winner, but this lack of firepower at the top level may prove decisive in the final analysis.

As reigning European champion, Spain comes into the qualifying campaign for World Cup 2010 brimful of confidence. Señor Dixie Flatline was the first manager to break the trophy drought for Spain since 1964 in a full international competition. Despite many having misgivings about the defence, Señor Flatline’s attacking philosophy served the country well during Euro 2008, and he expects to carry that into the World Cup qualifiers. Many people predicted before Euro 2008 that Spain’s campaign would succeed or fail based on the form of Raúl, who is rapidly closing in on Andoni Zubizarreta’s international appearance record. However, Raúl had a fairly quiet Euro 2008 and it was left to players like Cartagonova’s Jaime Garrido, Espanyol’s Francisco Javier Zubizarreta and Roma’s Vicente to pull their weight in attack for Spain. While Zubizarreta misses the first round of qualifying, Spain are able to welcome back Gerard, who completed a move from Barcelona to Fiorentina over the summer but missed Euro 2008 due to injury. The squad announced by Señor Flatline for the first two qualifiers has certainly been altered from the squad that triumphed in Scotland and Wales, with an influx of young players coming into the side. No doubt, Señor Flatline has his eyes firmly fixed on the future, knowing that a squad that he can mould together around the likes of 31 year old Raúl, 29 year old Iván Amaya, and 28 year old Cartagonova midfielder Gavião with players such as Garrido, Zubizarreta, Juan Hernández, José de la Rosa, and César Cabrera will enable Spain to succeed beyond World Cup 2010. But for most people around the world, Spain’s record will be judged first by its ability to reach World Cup 2010, and secondly by its performance there.

Bowing out of Euro 2008 at the end of the group stage was not good for co-host Wales, and while Mark Hughes is able to put together a relatively talented squad, with the likes of Arsenal pair Ryan Giggs and Simon Davies, Manchester United’s Craig Bellamy and Tottenham’s Matthew Jones, he knows that against the likes of Spain and Poland, Wales will find it difficult to break into the top two positions. But the emergence of players such as Newcastle’s Andy Owen, who can play in midfield as an anchor midfielder or as a striker, and Manchester United’s 18 year old midfielder Craig Ward, bodes well for the future. Already Owen has struck up a good working partnership with Bellamy and has six goals from 24 international appearances at the young age of 23. Blessed with pace, poise and power, Owen looks like Wales’ best prospect in years, and no doubt Mark Hughes will pray that Owen, along with Bellamy, causes the opponents plenty of problems in the next two years as Wales strives to reach the World Cup.

World Cup 2010 Qualifier - Group 6, Game 1: Poland v Spain

It’s a very warm Saturday afternoon in Chorzow, and my players, many of whom have not kicked a competitive ball since Euro 2008 (or earlier, if they were not in that squad), begin to feel the pressure of the heat, humidity and the hostile atmosphere all too soon for my liking. I restore Iván Amaya and César Laínez to the eleven that played the Euro 2008 final against Russia, while Gerard returns to the hole behind the front pair of Raúl and Joseba Llorente, which means that Vicente goes back to left midfield, and Garrido slots in on the right. Llorente misses an early chance on three minutes when his long range effort drifts wide of the mark. We wait another 36 minutes for anything to happen, and when it does, Garrido’s volley from Raúl’s intelligent flick-pass clears the bar effortlessly. A break down between Borja and Vicente lets in Brozek, who finds Szymkowiak, and the Juventus midfielder fires in a fierce drive that Laínez is grateful to see go wide. We force a corner going into injury time at the end of the first half, when Vicente tests Dudek’s reflexes with a good attempt. Gerard manages to beat his marker for the corner, but his shot is captured by the strong wind and goes wide.

I demand the players put in some extra effort into the second half, so we don’t have a repeat of the lacklustre first 45 minutes of the game. Gerard is enjoying his return to the international fold, as he picks off Dudek’s errant goal kick and endeavours to put it back past the big goalkeeper. Unfortunately for us, Dudek has the reach to knock the ball away and Machowski dives in with the saving tackle to deny Gerard’s third attempt. On 57 minutes, Llorente wastes a golden opportunity after more good work by Gerard, while Laínez is tested on the hour by a stinging shot from Radomski that bobbles along the rough surface. To make Poland wait to take the resulting corner, I seize the opportunity to replace Llorente with Diego Ribera. Raúl collects a pass by César that was meant for Ribera and tries to smash it past Dudek, but succeeds in only hitting the advertising hoardings behind the goal - not the best result. With 15 minutes left, Poland almost snatch the lead when Laínez does brilliantly to foil Zurawski. As the minutes tick by, Poland seem to be in the ascendant as on 80 minutes, the Barcelona keeper saves Syzmkowiak’s wickedly curving free kick. I throw one last roll of the dice by bringing off Raúl for Joseba Etxeberría. Szymkowiak again runs riot through my defence on 85 minutes but Laínez is once again equal to the task. On 88 minutes, Brozek hits a shot just over the bar, but completely against the run of play, we strike. Diego Ribera takes the ball past two or three Polish defenders before Fabisiak eventually dispossesses him. But the ball falls nicely at the feet of Gerard, who slams home an unstoppable shot past the distraught Dudek! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif Poland have one last flurry, with Laínez doing particularly well to hold onto Mazurkiewicz’s volley, but we’ve stolen the opening three points of the campaign and brought them back to Spain! icon_smile.gif

Poland (5-3-2): Dudek; Mangold (Ciesielski 63), Machowski, Bazler, Stasiak, Fabisiak; Radomski (Mazurkiewicz 81), Zurawski, Szymkowiak ©; Frankowski (Kozlowski 52), Brozek.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, César; Gavião (Diego 89); Vicente, Garrido; Gerard; Raúl © (Etxeberría 81), Llorente (Ribera 60).

Final score: Poland 0:1 Spain

MoM - César Laínez

In matches involving Cartagonova players, Notman returned to Scotland triumphantly, scoring Scotland’s first goal after just 4 minutes against Moldova in Group 4. Scotland lost Sergei Baltacha to a red card after 13 minutes, but hung on to win 2-1. Jean-François Gillet preserved a clean sheet for Belgium as they beat Switzerland 2-0 in Brussels. Shimon Gershon was in a dominant Israeli side who could only find the back of Andorra’s net once in a 1-0 victory. Kristian Tanem and Per Vener Rønning tasted defeat for Norway at the hands of France, as the French trounced Norway 3-0 in Paris.

Quickly running through the groups, and in group 1, Sweden got off to a satisfying start, as they thrashed Lithuania 4-0 in Stockholm. Their task was made simpler by the dismissal of Lithuanian keeper Valdemar Quiroga after just 17 minutes. In the other Group 1 game, Bulgaria and Turkey drew 2-2 in Sofia. Estonia made a winning start to its Group 2 campaign with a 2-0 victory over the unhappy Czech Republic in Tallinn. Slovakia also defeated the Ukraine 2-1 on Bratislava. England raced to a 3-0 lead inside 17 minutes against Luxembourg, only to lose concentration and be pulled back to 3-2 before Joe Cole struck the hammer blow on 72 minutes. England triumphed at St James Park 4-2 over the minnows in Group 3. Portugal successfully put a disastrous Euro 2008 qualifying campaign behind them as they defeated Greece 2-0 in Lisbon.

There were three games in Group 4. Italy defeated Yugoslavia 2-1 in Belgrade, thanks to Iaquinta and Zago, although Yugoslavia made it difficult to relax with a last minute goal to Ivan Jelic. Northern Ireland had no trouble in dispatching the Faeroe Islands 2-0 in Thorshavn, with goals to Mulryne and Moore in each half. As mentioned above, Scotland won 2-1 against Moldova, but lost Baltacha to a red card after just 13 minutes. He and Notman scored Scotland’s goals. Group 5 saw Croatia and Belgium notch up 2-0 victories over Latvia and Switzerland respectively. In Group 6, Spain needed a last gasp winner from Gerard to defeat Poland, while Wales scored a decisive 3-1 victory over Malta, and Georgia defeated east European cousins Armenia 2-1 in Yerevan.

In Group 7, Russia thrashed Hungary 4-0 in Moskva, while Cyprus upset Romania with a 2-1 victory in Bucharest. In Group 8, Denmark triumphed 2-1 over the Netherlands, while Israel struggled against inaccuracy to win 1-0 over Andorra. Ireland went to town against Albania, hitting the eastern Europeans for six, winning 6-1 in Tirane.

31st of August 2008

Atlético Madrid wastes its time offering me £2.9 million for César.

1st of September 2008

Real Betis follows up with a bid of £3.5 million for César. Still nowhere near enough.

2nd of September 2008

I’m ecstatic to see Jaime Garrido put behind him recent reticence about his future at Cartagonova and sign a new four year deal that is worth £5 million to the player. But the worth of Spain’s best winger at the club is incalculable. It is great news for the club! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif In days gone by, he would have likely refused to sign a new contract and either forced us into selling him early, or leaving by a Bosman at the end of his contract.

3rd of September 2008

World Cup Qualifier - Group 6, Game 2: Spain v Malta

For tonight’s game, the Spanish FA points us in the direction of the Olímpico de Montjuïc in Barcelona. I make no changes to the eleven that defeated Poland on the weekend, and Malta understandably start the game very cautiously with plenty of men behind the ball. We almost give away a laughable goal when after spending the first couple of minutes passing the ball between defenders, Amaya handballs to give away a free kick that Giglio almost beats Laínez with. Thankfully, the Barcelona keeper has his wits about him and stops the embarrassment before it gets any worse. On 16 minutes, Raúl threatens Malta’s goal for the first time with a volley from Gerard’s pass that clears the bar by scant inches. Three minutes later, however, we have much better fortune when Marchena feeds Gavião, and the midfielder does not hesitate to drive through Malta’s defence and plant a shot past the despairing Justin Haber. On 36 minutes, Raúl curves a delicate shot towards the top corner but Haber is there to pluck the ball out of the air and deny the captain a goal. On 38 minutes, we earn a corner when Lannacone clears Gavião’s header off the line. Lannacone clears away Garrido’s corner, but the Cartagonova winger picks the ball up and sends it back into the danger area. And there is Vicente to slam home a beautiful goal with a bicycle kick on 39 minutes! icon_cool.gif Perhaps it was too good a goal, as Malta catch us unawares straight from kick-off. Chucks Nwoko scores his thirtieth goal in his international career to give Malta an undeserved chance.

Bang on half-time, however, Vicente scores again after good work by Gavião and Garrido to make it 3-1 going into the interval. I caution the players that Malta has a couple of good strikers who are more than capable of taking advantage of any complacency, so we should continue to strive for another goal and ensure that we keep focus in the second half. We do take things a little cautiously in the second half, but Malta’s cause is not helped when they are forced to take off an injured player with no substitutes at hand on 72 minutes. Garrido gives fair warning of what he is about to do on 76 minutes when he fires in a free kick only to see Haber scramble across his line just in time to clear it away. But on 85 minutes, he is on hand to turn in Raúl’s good cross to seal victory for Spain. The night, however, is soured by an injury to Raúl suffered in the last minute of normal time. He is going to be out for a month, so it will be touch and go whether he comes up for our next qualifier against Armenia in Yerevan.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; Borja (Cabrera 86), Amaya, Marchena, César; Vicente (Etxeberría 86), Gavião, Garrido; Gerard; Raúl © (Ribera 89), Llorente.

Malta (5-3-2): Haber ©; Lannacone (Arnold 55), Tavcar, Villegas, Heamed, Maloney (Kamagate 60); Muscat, Hermínio (Kask 55), Giglio; Nwoko, Mifsud.

Final score: Spain 4:1 Malta

MoM - Vicente

In other games involving Cartagonova players, Zlatan Muslimovic celebrated a 2-1 victory of Bosnia over Bulgaria in Sarajevo. But Alex Notman comes back to Spain downcast as Scotland lost a close-fought game against Yugoslavia 2-1. Jean-François Gillet kept another clean sheet as Belgium snared all three points on the road against Belarus with a 1-0 victory. Shimon Gershon played as a striker for Israel but did not score as Israel defeated Albania 2-0 in Tel Aviv. Per Vener Rønning and Kristian Tanem were grateful to compatriot Marius Lindgrasmo as he rescued a point for Norway in a 2-2 draw against Austria in Oslo.

So, rounding up the mid-week action from European World Cup 2010 qualifying, we take a look first at Group 1. As remarked above, Bosnia defeated Bulgaria 2-1 in Sarajevo, as they came back from behind with two goals in three minutes to Salihamidzic and Jusic. Sweden’s Sharbel Touma scored the winning goal for Sweden in a 1-0 victory against Turkey in Istanbul. In Group 2, the Czech Republic gave away the victory in the last minute of the game when they conceded a last minute equaliser to Slovakia in a 2-2 draw. The Ukraine and FYROM played a 0-0 draw in Kyiv. In Group 3, Finland and Portugal drew 1-1, while England suffered a loss to Greece 2-1 in Athens. Karagounis put the Greeks in the lead on 13 minutes, but Joe Cole equalised three minutes later. However, Liberopoulos scored the decisive goal on 40 minutes.

In Group 4, Italy recorded a 4-1 victory over the Faeroe Islands, while Northern Ireland stayed top after two games with a 3-0 victory over Moldova. As mentioned above, Scotland lost at home 2-1 to Yugoslavia. In Group 5, Belgium defeated Belarus 1-0 in Minsk, while Switzerland and Croatia shared the spoils in a 0-0 draw in Bern. In Group 6, Wales maintained top position with a 3-1 victory over Armenia, but Spain also scored a big win, defeating Malta 4-1 in Barcelona. Poland bounced back from an opening day loss with a 2-1 victory on the road against Georgia. In Group 7, Hungary and Budapest drew 2-2 in Budapest, while Russia recorded its second consecutive win with a 2-1 victory over Slovenia. In Group 8, the Netherlands destroyed Andorra 5-0 in Amsterdam, but still remains fourth in the group. Ireland remains top with a 1-0 win over Denmark, while Israel jumps to second in the group after defeating Albania 2-0 in Tel Aviv. Finally, in Group 9, 1998 World Cup champion France continued her winning ways with a 3-0 win over San Marino. Iceland matched that achievement by winning on the road against Azerbaijan 3-0, but Norway and Austria went nowhere with a 2-2 draw.

Dixie Flatline

Archived