How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

After some time away from the boards, I'm back with a lot more from Cartagonova!

Sorry about my recent absence there - I hadn't kept up payments with my internet service provider, so the account was suspended for a bit. But now, I'm back and ready to go!

So let's kick it off with some more, shall we! icon_smile.gif

8th of April 2009

Primera Liga - Game 29: Valencia v Cartagonova

“… The 51,000 strong crowd packed into La Mestalla in Valencia were privileged to witness a thrilling game of counter-attacking football played at the highest level by two sides practised in the art. While Cartagonova enjoys a substantial gap at the top of the ladder, Valencia are struggling to make anything of a poor season, currently lying ninth in the league and needing points desperately to make a late run for a European place at the end of the season. But things began badly for the hosts, as Borja gave away a free kick for a poor foul on Clegg, and Notman punished them with a fine free kick from 25 yards on six minutes. Three minutes later, Notman slalomed his way through a porous Valencia defence but his drive smashed the post of Jonathan’s goal. Valencia then began moving in a hurry as Vidal first punched clear Donnet’s attempted cross and then pushed away Karanka’s goal-bound header. Lilian Thuram, in for his first start in months for the injured Gershon, then dispossessed Zenden before the Dutch winger could pull the trigger.â€

“The Frenchman’s clearance was instrumental in setting up Redondo, who rolled back the years by racing away through the heart of the Valencia defence and then planted an unstoppable shot past the outstretched fingertips of Jonathan to make it 2-0 to the league leader on 13 minutes. Djordjic then tested Jonathan’s reflexes with a powerful shot on 21 minutes, but Valencia dealt so well with the resulting corner that they fashioned a chance for themselves at the other end, which Boudewijn Zenden took superbly to halve Cartagonova’s lead. Three minutes later, and the teams were all square as Martín Palermo showed great technique to volley home Hugo Leal’s clever pass. Karanka should have put Valencia in the lead on 32 minutes, but his attempted shot cleared the bar by several metres, while Cartagonova also could not capitalise on some good approach play with half-time nearing. At the break, the two clubs were locked at 2-2 and the fans had already had their money’s worth.â€

“But there was more to come in the second half. Immediately upon restart, Cartagonova were back in front as George Clegg advanced mystifyingly unhindered deep into the heart of enemy territory before letting fly with a howitzer of a shot that no keeper could have saved. But four minutes later, Valencia had a golden opportunity to equalise and go on with the game as Iván Vidal was adjudged to have professionally fouled Martín Palermo as the Argentine prepared to shoot. The Cartagonova keeper was sent off, and his replacement, the Italian Davide Bagnacani, on for Zlatan Muslimovic, could do nothing about Donnet’s well-taken penalty. But if being reduced to ten men deflated Cartagonova’s players, they didn’t show it, as Notman, pulled back to support Redondo as a lone striker with Clegg now on the right, again managed to find himself in a shooting position without being attended to by the lax Valencia defence. The Scot wasted no time in scoring his second goal and putting Cartagonova back in front with 37 minutes left in the game.â€

“Cartagonova almost made it 5-3 on 59 minutes when Djordjic again was foiled by a good save from Valencia, but instead the hosts equalised on 83 minutes when Palermo scored with another rocket from the edge of the penalty area, with Bagnacani having no chance. But if Valencia thought they had at least salvaged a point from this game, they would be wrong as two minutes later, Redondo had his second and his club’s fifth of the game. Valencia had a late opportunity to equalise once more, but Karanka could not hit the target and Cartagonova left with all three points after an entertaining game…â€

Well, it may have been entertaining for the fans, but I was down to my bare bones in defence and it showed. Thuram, at 37 years of age, was preferred to Palomino to partner Lasa, as I needed some experience at the back against a club we have traditionally struggled to overcome, despite their current lowly position. But while Thuram has the experience, he is not the player he once was, and Lasa needed to do a brilliant job to hold the defence together. However, the real weakness lies, for this game at least, between the ears of the captain, Vidal, who was sent off for the second time in his Cartagonova career. He was already playing poorly to begin with, but his complete stupidity in taking out Palermo like he did reveals a temperamental problem that I thought I had already ironed out. Believe you me, once the Spanish FA have assessed the length of his ban, he will have to answer to me no matter the status he holds in the squad.

But at least the forwards worked well this evening. Notman and Redondo are back to their scintillating best, and Redondo’s brace puts him on 28 goals in all competitions for the season, which equals his best ever tally for Cartagonova which he achieved back in 2003/04. The Spaniard now has 14 goals in both Europe and in Spain, so he is doing very well. Notman as been a little below his best in terms of productivity, but a brace when needed was just the right tonic for the mercurial Scotsman, and I’m glad he is back to his best. George Clegg, also, is in fine form and to me, it is mystifying in the extreme to not see him wear the three lions of England, because I know he would wear them with skill and pride. On the other hand, the wingers are proving to be a little troublesome at the moment. I’m not getting much out of Muslimovic recently, and while Djordjic is a willing trier, his figures in terms of goals and assists do not make for good reading. Garrido is still a fortnight away from returning at full fitness, so I have to persist with the group I have for a little while longer.

Valencia (4-4-2): Jonathan; Borja, Iriekpen, Donnet, Mendieta © (Fiore 59); Zenden, Knopper (Onichtenchenko 53), Hugo Leal, Angulo (Quique 53); Palermo, Karanka.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Lasa, Thuram, César; Tanem; Djordjic, Muslimovic (Bagnacani 51); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Valencia 4:5 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We now have a tough match to play on the weekend, as we travel to Soria to play second-placed Numancia, missing Vidal, Smith, Gershon and Garrido, all four first team regulars.

The Valencia-Cartagonova game sets a new league record for the highest scoring game for Cartagonova, breaking the records of 6-2 wins against Barcelona in 2007/08 and Real Madrid in 2005/06.

Lilian Thuram’s appearance also breaks a club record for the oldest player to represent the club, beating Dennis Bergkamp, Iván Zamorano and Dunga, who all played for the club at 36.

9th of April 2009

The Spanish FA adds two further games to Vidal’s ban, therefore meaning he will miss games against Numancia away, Alavés home and Racing Santander away. I call the keeper into my office and explain to him at length that neither I, the board, nor, most importantly, his fellow players appreciate the club’s captain letting them all down in the manner he did. I don’t often let fly with my temper any more, especially after we managed to find our way out of the Segunda Liga B, but Vidal is on the receiving end of some very angry words. In the end, I adjudge his misdemeanour to be worth a week’s fine, which as you all know, I don’t do very often. That’s worth £20,000, so I hope that he learns his lesson, because I want to be a very long time before Vidal is sent off again, if ever.

But you can’t escape the fact that against Numancia, I’m going to miss three players definitely who have 120 games of experience this season amongst them in Vidal, Gershon and Smith, while Garrido is very doubtful, too.

12th of April 2009

Primera Liga - Game 30: Numancia v Cartagonova

Numancia are looking to establish their title credentials with a good result against the league leaders. Those clubs that are chasing us need to get a hurry on, as we hold a handy lead going into the last eight games of the season. As a result, this is an entertaining game, with both clubs trading blows through the game. Numancia open the scoring right on the break after an extended period of pressure on Bagnacani’s goal when Gorka picks up on the loose ball after Lasa dispossesses Christian and curls a superb shot into the top corner out of the reach of the Italian. But just when I begin to believe that this time, we won’t come back, George Clegg pops up with the equaliser on 59 minutes when he drives home César’s pass. If only Notman had been more predatory in front of goal, we might have actually won this one, too, but the Scot put only one shot out of five attempts on target. But winning this game would have taken away from the superb effort from each Numancia player, and I suppose a draw was the fair result.

Numancia (4-1-3-2): Gustafsson; Gustavo, Quiroga, Babangida, Rubio ©; Molnar (Rodri 77); Agustín (Benítez 66), Gorka, Morán; Óscar, Christian.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning, Lasa, WingÃ¥rd, César; Tanem ©; Djordjic, Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo, Notman (Samba 77).

Final score: Numancia 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - George Clegg

The game marks our thirtieth in the league this season, so the ladder looks like this as we enter the home stretch:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Cartagonova 30 10 5 0 21 7 10 2 3 39 19 67

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Barcelona 29 8 3 3 33 12 9 4 2 27 11 58

3rd Numancia 30 10 3 3 35 18 7 3 4 19 17 57

4th Real Sociedad 29 9 4 1 34 19 6 6 3 26 24 55

5th Espanyol 30 9 2 4 33 22 5 6 4 19 17 50

6th Celta 30 7 4 4 18 15 7 3 5 25 22 49

7th Elche 29 10 1 3 23 12 4 4 7 16 24 47

8th Betis 30 8 2 4 23 15 5 5 6 18 21 46

9th Sporting Gijón 30 9 2 5 24 20 3 3 8 16 28 41

10th Valencia 30 4 5 6 26 24 7 2 6 20 15 40

11th Real Madrid 30 6 6 3 32 23 4 4 7 17 21 40

12th Atlético Madrid 30 5 3 7 23 24 6 4 5 22 20 40

13th Deportivo 30 6 3 5 24 17 3 6 7 21 28 36

14th Mallorca 30 4 5 6 18 15 3 6 6 10 19 32

15th Alavés 30 6 3 7 17 15 3 2 9 14 27 32

16th Zaragoza 30 4 3 8 21 26 4 4 7 16 22 31

17th Villarreal 30 5 6 4 21 27 3 1 11 15 34 31

18th Osasuna 29 5 4 5 14 13 2 3 10 12 25 28

19th Athletic Bilbao 30 5 2 8 12 22 1 3 11 12 38 23

20th Racing Santander 30 2 6 8 7 25 2 1 11 7 27 19

</pre>

13th of April 2009

Barcelona makes a low, low bid of £4 million for Gavião. Something more like £2 million plus Spanish international defensive midfielder José de la Rosa (worth £6.75 million) would be more like it.

15th of April 2009

My learned colleague at Barcelona believes that a bid of £3.9 million - £100,000 less than his first offer - will be enough to convince me to sell Gavião. Does he take me for some kind of an idiot? I quickly fire back a rejection note. I then turn around and offer £6.75 million for de la Rosa.

European Champions' League - Quarter-final, 2nd leg: Bayern München v Cartagonova

“… After going through the group phases dropping only one game, Cartagonova was installed by the bookies as clear favourite. But a shaky game at home against German champion Bayern München saw Cartagonova’s favouritism blow out. But in the Olympiastadion, Cartagonova triumphed. Notman went close twice in the space of a minute on 25 minutes, while Iván Vidal did well to save from Diego Tristán on the half-hour mark. But the match turned decisively in favour of Cartagonova as the referee sent off Bayern goalkeeper Chiotis for a trip on Ariel Carreño on 40 minutes. Gavião had no trouble in beating substitute keeper Albano Bizzarri.â€

“The second half belonged to Cartagonova. On 53 minutes, Djordjic sent through the slide-rule pass into the path of Notman and the big Scot easily smashed it past Bizzarri to make it 2-0 on the night and 5-2 on aggregate. Roni wasted an unlikely opportunity to bring Bayern back into the game on 57 minutes and then earned a yellow card for diving inside the penalty area two minutes later. On 80 minutes, Cartagonova played the counter-attack perfectly as Gavião broke up an attack and found Carreño. The Argentine striker reminded everybody that he is a more than adequate replacement for the unfit Redondo as he drove home a stunning goal from 35 yards. Nine minutes later, he had his second and Cartagonova’s fourth of the evening when he was again left unmarked after taking Clegg’s pass in his stride.â€

Well, that was a tremendous game from my boys. I left out quite a few regulars, particularly José Manuel Redondo, who was unfit, but the players I selected did the job brilliantly. Bayern put us under some early pressure, but the back four and Vidal responded well, and then when we got the break of having the keeper sent off, we took the opportunities that came our way. Of course, if we had failed at this stage, it would have been very disappointing given the start we had in the group phase, but now we’re into the semi-finals, so we’re one step closer to the ambition.

Bayern München (5-3-2): Chiotis; Solari, Helbig, Backer ©, Wolf, Eckstein; Henry (Zickler 53), Jeremies, Waattovaara; Diego Tristán (Bizzarri 40), Roni (Göktan 78).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Smith, WingÃ¥rd, César; Gavião; Djordjic, Muslimovic; Clegg; Carreño, Notman.

Final score: Bayern München 0:4 Cartagonova

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 7:2 Bayern München

MoM - Ariel Carreño

17th of April 2009

We manage to avoid Porto and Celtic by drawing Ajax Amsterdam in our semi-final clash in the European Champions' League. The first leg will be held on the 29th of April 2009 at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena. Our record is quite good against Ajax, with two wins in the European Champions' League group stage all the way back in 2005 and a 2-2 draw in the Super Cup which we won on penalties. We also have two friendly wins against Ajax.

I lose Francisco Javier Zubizarreta from the Spanish squad after he damages his groin in training with Espanyol this evening. Jaime Garrido is almost back to full fitness, so I call him up as Zubizarreta’s replacement.

19th of April 2009

Primera Liga - Game 31: Cartagonova v Alavés

There are quite a few tired players coming out of our victory over Bayern in the European Champions' League last Wednesday evening, and a home match against Alavés should not be too problematic. Hence, I take the opportunity to give some of the fringe players, like Samba and Bagnacani (in for the suspended Vidal) a taste of first-team action, while on the bench sit the likes of Andy Owen, Jesús, Juan Hernández and Ariel Carreño.

Unfortunately, the reshaping of the team leads to a lack of understanding at crucial times. Things begin well when on 14 minutes, George Clegg puts us in the lead with a terrific volley from Redondo’s knock-down that Dudek has no chance of saving. But we can’t build on our lead as Dudek saves quite brilliantly twice from Clegg and Tanem in the space of two minutes around the half-hour mark. Rønning is also denied a chance to score on 38 minutes by the big Pole’s athleticism and reflexes. In the second half, Alavés put more pressure on us as they search for an equaliser and the defence begins to look a little shaky. But Redondo should have made the points safe on 62 minutes when he misses an empty net with a simple header. icon_frown.gif Three minutes later, substitute striker Manel has Alavés level with a fine solo run and shot. icon_mad.gif We make more opportunities for ourselves that we can’t take, thanks mainly to Dudek’s excellent form and to make matters worse, I lose Rønning for three weeks late in the game when he breaks his toe.

The only good thing to come out of the weekend is that Barcelona only drew and Real Sociedad lost, so we maintain our nine point lead at the top, although Barcelona do have a game in hand.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning (Cabrera 85), Smith, WingÃ¥rd, César ©; Djordjic, Tanem, Muslimovic (Hernández 58); Clegg; Redondo, Samba (Owen 85).

Alavés (1-2-5-2): Dudek ©; Mantilla; José, Altena; Nyquist, Ismael Ruiz (Giuly 91), Ãlvarez, Jacques, Contra; Rubio (Manel 56), Epitié.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Alavés

MoM - Christoffer Nyquist

22nd of April 2009

Friendly - Spain v Czech Republic

I give a couple of different players the opportunity to begin this game. I already know that César Laínez is a competent keeper at international level, so Iker Casillas is given the chance to demonstrate what he can do. David Oliva edges out César for a place in the first eleven, while José Antonio Reyes - on debut - and Gabri play on the wings in place of Vicente (who actually plays behind the front two) and Etxeberría, the usual deputy to Garrido and/or Zubizarreta on the right.

Things begin badly for us when on five minutes Daniel Novotny manages to evade the best efforts of my defence to close him down and puts an unstoppable shot past Casillas. icon_frown.gif But we level the game on 17 minutes when Novotny’s pass is picked off well by Gavião, and the midfielder crosses into the box where Sabino nods down for Gabri to half-volley past the Czech keeper! icon_smile.gif We almost go ahead on 29 minutes when Raúl tests the reflexes of Cerny but the keeper saves well. Two minutes later, Leos Jarolim is grimacing while watching his powerful shot smash against Casillas’ bar and rebound to our safety. Down the other end, Sabino almost puts us in the lead but for the fingertips of Cerny. On 38 minutes, we concede a corner as Casillas tips away Jarolim’s shot and we manage to withstand the Czech pressure to set up a chance on 45 minutes for Raúl, but Cerny is again there to deny the captain. But we have the last laugh of the first half when Oliva, Borja and Gavião combine to set up Vicente, and the Roma man doesn’t let us down. icon_biggrin.gif

Five minutes into the second half, Gavião flights in a perfect cross for Sabino to drive past Cerny, and suddenly, we’re cruising towards victory. With 66 minutes past, I decide to make a couple of changes, removing Oliva, Marchena and Gabri, replacing them with César, de la Rosa and Jaime Garrido, playing his first game since tearing his groin three months ago. The Czechs don’t give up this game, and Penicka has a goal ruled out for off-side on 76 minutes. On 86 minutes, Heinz is denied by a brilliant save from Casillas. However, the Real Madrid keeper can’t do much about the Czechs’ second goal when in injury time Tomas Jun finds Paciorek lurking in the area, and he scores his first goal for his country to make it 3-2 on the night.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Casillas; Borja, Amaya, Marchena (de la Rosa 66), Oliva (César 66); Reyes, Gavião, Gabri (Garrido 66); Vicente; Raúl ©, Sabino.

Czech Republic (5-3-1-1): Cerny; Novotny (Penicka 66), Martin Dosek (Velkoborsky 66), Penicka, Repka, Fukal ©; Leos Jarolim (Paciorek 66), David Jarolim, Rosicky; Tomas Dosek (Heinz 53); Jun.

Final score: Spain 3:2 Czech Republic

MoM - Raúl

In other friendly games involving Cartagonova players, Zlatan Muslimovic had a good game personally, but Bosnia slumped to a 3-1 defeat against Finland at home. Andy Owen played 52 minutes of Wales’ 1-0 win over Lithuania in Vilnius. Kristian Tanem captained Norway to a 4-3 win over Belgium, with Jean-François Gillet on the losing side. Belgium had raced to a 2-0 lead at half-time, thanks to Emile Mpenza, but their defence collapsed shortly after half-time to bring it back to 2-2, and then again in the last five minutes after they had made it 3-2 thanks to Karaca. Veterans Eirik Bakke and Trond Andersen scored the winning goals for Norway. Martin Smith also tasted defeat as Denmark crashed 3-1 to Portugal in Lisbon despite taking the lead through Peter Madsen on 11 minutes. Hugo Leal in a matchwinning performance scored twice and César Lopes added the extra touch. For once, Alex Notman didn’t put his name on the scoresheet, but Scotland nevertheless enjoyed success as they trounced Hungary 4-2 at Hampden Park in Glasgow. Bojan Djordjic came on for Sweden after 63 minutes as they defeated Yugoslavia 2-1 in Belgrade. Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored both goals for Sweden.

25th of April 2009

Mired deeply in relegation trouble, seven points from safety, means that the Athletic Bilbao chairman has finally lost patience with manager Sven-Gorän Eriksson, and the Swede is relieved of his job after the club failed to turn its dominance over Mallorca into three points, scoring only a draw when a win was imperative. Whoever takes over the Basque club will almost certainly find himself in the Segunda Liga next season.

26th of April 2009

Primera Liga - Game 32: Racing Santander v Cartagonova

To put it mildly, I’m furious.

We blow an opportunity against the bottom-placed club in the league to at least maintain our lead over the chasing pack and reduce the number of games left to catch us in by one. Instead, we manage to shoot ourselves well and truly in the foot and give Barcelona in particular, who still have a game in hand, renewed hope that they can overhaul us.

And it began so swimmingly for us.

On four minutes, Juan Hernández, in for the suspended Clegg, cushions his header just so to allow Redondo to brilliantly half-volley past the Racing keeper. Our lead, however, evaporates eight minutes later when de la Cruz picks up on Tanem’s poor clearance, evades the best attentions of my defenders and slams a shot past Gillet. We take back the lead on 21 minutes when Juan Hernández is tripped by Jorge in front of the referee and Djordjic guides home a cruise missile into the top corner. But my defence collapses for a second time on 37 minutes when Luis Tevenet can’t believe his luck in advancing so deeply into enemy territory before letting fly with a drive that Gillet is in no position to save.

I fire a rocket or two in the dressing room at half-time, reminding that while we should accord our opponents due respect, they are bottom on the ladder and should be ours for the taking. I tell them this is a perfect opportunity to tighten our grip on the championship just a little more, but only if we rack up all three points for the victory. Do they listen? No, of course not. Substitute Jaime Garrido, on for the do-nothing Muslimovic, hits the bar on 52 minutes but on 64 minutes, Gillet is beaten for a third time at a corner by Torres. On 75 minutes, Juan Hernández, enjoying his first start in quite a while, sees his shot tipped away by a desperate Nuno, while two minutes later, Djordjic unluckily hits the bar. But on 80 minutes, Racing seal the upset when Torres scores his second goal of the game, heading home Leko’s simple cross. icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif We pull a goal back through Tanem two minutes later but by then, it’s all too late, and I’m furious. Really, really… unhappy. icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif

Gillet is really going to cop it from me this evening, but he is not the only one, and I tell each player to take a good hard look at themselves tonight, because they’ve blown a chance to start sewing up the championship. Now, with Barcelona thrashing Real Madrid 4-1 at the Nou Camp, they are breathing down our necks at precisely the wrong time in the season. And we still have to travel to Barcelona.

Racing Santander (4-4-2): Nuno; Banos, de la Cruz, Jorge ©, Pedersen; Leko, Roberto (Pulido 81), Diego, Castaño (Toñito 59); Torres, Tevenet.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Gillet; Cabrera, Smith, WingÃ¥rd, César ©; Tanem; Djordjic, Muslimovic (Garrido 46); Hernández; Redondo, Samba (Carreño 65).

Final score: Racing Santander 4:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Adolfo Torres

29th of April 2009

European Champions' League - Semi-final, 1st leg: Cartagonova v Ajax Amsterdam

Despite this being a home game, you would have thought that we had ventured into the lion’s den as Ajax continually attack us through the 90 minutes, fortunately for no result. On 11 minutes, Gattuso’s poor control lets in Gavião who sets up Notman and the big Scot powers a header past the Ajax keeper to make it 1-0 to the good guys. But then we can’t seem to keep possession as Ajax go berserk trying to beat Vidal and get a precious away goal. But Vidal is in superb form and keeps denying Ajax’s forwards the opportunity to score. Early on, I recognised that Ajax was playing a formation that normally causes us trouble, so while Smith kept a watchful eye on Bryngelsson and Wingård minded arguably the world’s best player in Theo Janssen, that left Franck Fischer free to do what he liked, until I assigned Gavião to look after him. That didn’t stop Ajax from attacking us, and Bryngelsson hits the post with a beautifully curved shot on 30 minutes, and then puts another shot over the bar five minutes later. We give away a free kick in a dangerous position on 42 minutes, but Fischer can’t put his shot on target. A moment before the break, Clegg misses a crucial chance to extend our lead, but we make up for it on the stroke of half-time when Muslimovic cleverly picks out Notman in the box, and the Scot doubles his game’s tally and our lead simultaneously.

It’s a good way to go into the break, because it relieves the pressure slightly on the defence. Six minutes into the second half, though, and it’s back on when Bryngelsson breaks free of the defence and tests Vidal’s reflexes with a stinging drive. But the keeper pushes it away for a corner which we defend well. Five minutes later, Vidal again saves a volley from Fischer. But we make the tie safe when on 64 minutes, Muslimovic capitalises on a great curling cross from Clegg to score past the Ajax keeper! icon_smile.gif All we need to do now is to avoid giving away an away goal to Ajax and a moment later, Vidal is again called into action when he saves Fischer’s free kick comfortably. Theo Janssen forces a fine save from Vidal on 81 minutes while five minutes later, Bryngelsson rattles the bar with a thumping effort that left Vidal stranded. A moment later, Vidal saves brilliantly from the Swede and from the corner, Janssen misses a header. In injury time, Daems bears down on goal but can’t beat an inspiring captain who does well to push his shot away for a corner that Ajax can’t capitalise upon.

It’s a satisfactory victory when referee Mr Anders Frisk finally calls a halt to the game. We take a good lead back to the Amsterdam Arena in a week.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Smith, WingÃ¥rd, César; Djordjic, Gavião, Muslimovic; Clegg (Hernández 82); Redondo (Carreño 82), Notman.

Ajax Amsterdam (4-3-2-1): Hulshoff; de Windt (Chivu 71), Hofland (Carlos 82), Heitinga ©, Mellberg; van Bronckhurst (Daems 77), Nesta, Gattuso; Janssen, Fischer; Bryngelsson.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:0 Ajax Amsterdam

MoM - Zlatan Muslimovic

30th of April 2009

“… Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, shocked the Spanish football world this morning by announcing that his club will sign Spanish international striker Sabino on a Bosman free transfer from Real Madrid. The striker spent a season at Cartagonova back in 2005/06 at the club before joining Real Madrid in a £3 million move, but has not seen eye to eye with the managerial hierarchy in the past two seasons. The 31 year old was given his international debut by Señor Flatline in a friendly against England, and has scored three international goals in seven appearances for his country. With Redondo and Notman having a very productive season, it will be interesting to see how Señor Flatline will juggle three prolific strikers next season…â€

2nd of May 2009

Primera Liga - Game 33: Cartagonova v Real Sociedad

With the season drawing to a close, this is a crucial game and one we can’t afford to drop. So I’m unhappy to see left-back José María Lacruz required to leave the play after just five minutes thanks to an injury. Cabrera takes his spot, and three minutes later, Llorente has the first opportunity to score when he tests Vidal’s reflexes. Fortunately for us, our captain passes the test with flying colours. On 11 minutes, we take the lead when Smith takes the direct route towards goal, finding Redondo unmarked and capable of timing his leap perfectly to avoid the diving keeper! icon_smile.gif Ten minutes later, the striker should have had his second goal but hits his shot well wide of the mark under pressure. However, on 27 minutes, we do double our lead when Scottish striker Alex Notman heads home Lasa’s long ball! icon_biggrin.gif We only have a couple more opportunities later in the first half, but Clegg and Tanem cannot make them count.

Six minutes into the second half, Real Sociedad strike back through Joseba Llorente, reminding me that he is a good striker and should be considered for the national squad again. Seven minutes later, he hits the ball into the side-netting while on 60 minutes, Muslimovic is cautioned by the referee for diving in the penalty box. Redondo then rifles a shot over the bar a moment later but apart from a brief flurry late in the game, Real Sociedad are kept well under control. Muslimovic almost makes it 3-1 in injury time, but Iker Ãlvarez saves well. Still, a satisfying win going into the return fixture against Ajax on Wednesday evening, and the big one next Sunday against Barcelona.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz (Cabrera 5), Smith, Lasa, César; Djordjic, Tanem, Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Real Sociedad (4-5-1): Ãlvarez; Agostinho, Portocarrero, Mofid (Bridgwater 66), Benito; Nicklasson (del Piero 82), Rodrigo, da Silva (Cable 73), Xabi Alonso ©, González; Llorente.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Real Sociedad

MoM - Alex Notman

Redondo’s first goal of the game is his thirtieth goal this season, which is the first time in his Cartagonova career he has managed to achieve that landmark.

3rd of May 2009

Barcelona stay hard on our heels, overcoming a defiant and determined Real Zaragoza 3-2 at La Romareda with Ricardo Jorge scoring the winner with seven minutes to go. They remain six points behind us with a game in hand, and we travel to the Catalan region to play them next. If they take maximum points from that game, and their catch-up game against Elche next Wednesday, then going into the weekend of 16th and 17th of May, then we could be level on points with our arch-rival. It doesn’t bear thinking about.

6th of May 2009

European Champions' League - Semi-final, 2nd leg: Ajax Amsterdam v Cartagonova

“… Cartagonova booked their place in the final on 20th of May at Parken in Copenhagen with an emphatic victory over Ajax. Holding a comfortable 3-0 lead going into the game, Alex Notman’s strike after just two minutes made it practically impossible for the Dutch side to get into the game. After their South American contingent had been away on international duty during the first leg, Ajax restored to their starting eleven Roque Santa Cruz and Ãlvaro Recoba, and both missed golden opportunities to bring Ajax level on the night in the fifth and sixth minutes of the game. Ajax kept up the pressure with Santa Cruz shooting wide on 10 minutes, while Bryngelsson headed Recoba’s cross over the bar on 16 minutes. On 24 minutes, the Swedish forward had the ball in the back of Vidal’s net, but it was ruled out for off-side against Ortega. Then Vidal saved superbly from Theo Janssen’s vicious shot on 28 minutes, and that was that for Ajax. On 35 minutes, Cartagonova doubled their lead when Redondo evaded the attentions of the Ajax defence long enough to blast Djordjic’s clever pass into the back of the net. Seven minutes later, with their third attack of the game, George Clegg scored Cartagonova’s third goal, a brilliantly executed missile from 25 yards out that the Ajax keeper had no chance of stopping. Recoba gave Ajax an inkling of a hope of saving face when he pulled a goal back on the stroke of half-time, but already Cartagonova fans were making plans for their appointment with destiny in a fortnight.â€

“The second half, in contrast, was a quieter affair, but Cartagonova still found enough impetus and motivation to rub the humiliation in for Ajax as Clegg had his second goal of the game on the hour mark. Vidal still had some work to do, particularly from Bryngelsson, but there was really no chance of Ajax coming out of this one with pride intact, and after 90 minutes, when the referee blew his whistle, the aggregate scoresheet read Ajax 2:7 Cartagonova. However, Cartagonova’s victory came at a price, with Gavião and Bojan Djordjic both picking up yellow cards that suspend them for the final in a fortnight.â€

I guess you can say that we have two of the best strikers on the continent at the moment, as they only needed one chance each to put us 2-0 up before the Ajax players could react. From that point on, considering that the aggregate score-line read 5-0 in our favour, I guess you could say that the tie was over. Ajax, of course, didn’t stop fighting to their credit, but we made the most of our opportunities and our appointment with Porto in a fortnight in Denmark is proof positive of that. Of course, it is sad that Gavião and Djordjic, two important players, will be unable to make the trip as players, but that gives other players the chance to step up and make a name for themselves.

Ajax Amsterdam (4-3-1-2): Hulshoff; de Windt (Chivu 69 (Daems 86)), Hofland, Heitinga ©, Nesta; Janssen (van Bronckhurst 74), Gattuso, Ortega; Recoba; Santa Cruz, Bryngelsson.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Smith, Lasa, César; Gavião; Djordjic, Muslimovic (Bubb 65); Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Ajax Amsterdam 1:4 Cartagonova

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 7:1 Ajax Amsterdam

MoM - Alex Notman

Porto, as you may have gathered, is our opponent in the final after they upset Celtic 1-0 at Celtic Park to make it 2-1 on aggregate.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Junichi Inamoto:

Dixie - as great as ever icon_smile.gif

go and get another CL now icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Junichi! icon_smile.gif I'll see if we can go get the ECL - well, I actually, of course, already know the result... icon_wink.gif

Cheers,

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gino:

Amazing victory over Ajax Dixie. Good luck in the Final. Simply superb icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Gino! icon_smile.gif But like I said above, I already know how the game goes down! icon_biggrin.gif

I won't keep everybody in suspense that much longer, I promise.

Cheers,

Dixie

Nominations for the FIFA World Player of the Year award are announced after the conclusion of the semi-finals in the European Champions' League. As manager of Spain, I am allowed to vote for this prestigious award. So, let’s take a look at those players with a shot at glory:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Emanuale Calaiò (27 y/o, ITA 38 caps, 14 goals, S C: AC Milan): 31 apps, 24 goals, 13 assists, 13 MoMs, av. rating: 8.39

<LI>Vincenzo Iaquinta (29 y/o, ITA 23 caps, 15 goals, S C: AC Milan): 32(1) apps, 26 goals, 22 assists, 10 MoMs, av. rating: 8.39

<LI>Theo Janssen (27 y/o, NED 48 caps, 11 goals, AM LC: Ajax Amsterdam): 32(3) apps, 7 goals, 17 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.49

<LI>Patrick Kluivert (32 y/o, NED 94 caps, 77 goals, S C: Ajax Amsterdam/Barcelona): 24(2) apps, 25 goals, 3 assists, 6 MoMs, av. rating: 8.35

<LI>Ronaldo (32 y/o, BRA 96 caps, 45 goals, S C: Barcelona): 27(3) apps, 18 goals, 7 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.97

<LI>Rubén Navarro (30 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 9 goals, S C: Real Madrid): 31(3) apps, 12 goals, 9 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.50

<LI>Javier Saviola (27 y/o, ARG 23 caps, 12 goals, S C: Fiorentina): 41 apps, 22 goals, 7 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.93

<LI>Andriy Shevchenko (32 y/o, UKR 85 caps, 44 goals, S C: AC Milan): 23 apps, 11 goals, 2 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 8.17

<LI>Francesco Totti (32 y/o, ITA 99 caps, 21 goals, AM/F RLC: AC Milan): 37 apps, 15 goals, 4 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.68

<LI>Vicente (27 y/o, ESP 73 caps, 27 goals, AM/F LC: AS Roma): 42(1) apps, 7 goals, 11 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.56

As you can see, four AC Milan players made the list, while two other players based in Italy are also on the shortlist. I’m staggered that players like Rubén Navarro and Javier Saviola, who have had average seasons, are on the list while somebody like Alex Notman and even José Manuel Redondo, who have had brilliant seasons, cannot get a look in. Obviously, the political power-plays of the Italian football federation have paid off in the corridors of power.

In the end, there really is only one player for whom I can vote for. Obviously, after playing such an important part of Spain’s plans for qualifying for the World Cup, Vicente gets my nod as the FIFA World Player of the Year. I doubt, however, that he will actually scoop the prize.

7th of May 2009

The weekly round-table football show syndicated on national television around Spain solicits opinions from former strikers and defenders who have played for Spain in recent times about the form of Alex Notman. They all agree that his lightning pace and eye for goal continues to frighten opposition defenders throughout the Primera Liga and in Europe. Of course, I can do nothing but say that his performances of late have been of the highest standard, hoping that will inspire him to an even greater level against Barcelona on the weekend.

Both the fans and the club’s chairman, Señor Manzano are pleased with my handling of the media, saying that the praise for Notman will boost his confidence even further.

8th of May 2009

My morning kicks off with me rejecting a bid of £1.8 million for Iván Vidal from Real Madrid.

9th of May 2009

I don’t even bother responding to a bid of £5 million over six months from 1860 München for Alex Notman.

10th of May 2009

Primera Liga - Game 34: Barcelona v Cartagonova

“… Cartagonova has all but wrapped up the title for the 2008/09 season after a comfortable 2-0 victory over Barcelona at the Nou Camp this afternoon. A brilliant virtuoso performance by Alex Notman which really merited a hat-trick divided the two teams. On 20 minutes, the big Scottish international striker rifled home a half-volley after being cleverly set up by George Clegg. A couple of moments later, Vidal preserved Cartagonova’s lead after saving well from Ronaldo. Notman missed a few more chances before Redondo tested Laínez’s reflexes on 31 minutes with a header that was saved brilliantly. But Cartagonova extended their lead four minutes later when Alex Notman headed home a cross from his strike partner. Two minutes later, he should have had his hat-trick but for a brilliant save again from Laínez, who then saved from Redondo on 41 minutes. As the half drew towards a close, however, Barcelona threatened to hit back through Ronaldo, but Vidal was keen to preserve his clean sheet going into the break and saved wonderfully from the Brazilian striker. Down the other end, Djordjic almost scored with a well-taken free kick after George Clegg was fouled by André Luiz.â€

“After such an exciting first half, the second was a quite tame affair. On 68 minutes, Notman missed another chance to grab his hat-trick when he hit a volley over the bar from 30 yards, while Ricardo Jorge fired over from out wide inside Cartagonova’s area while Matteo Brighi almost missed a chance on 75 minutes. Vidal then saved from Alex on 79 minutes, but Cartagonova fought back with Notman again missing another chance while Jaime Garrido forced Laínez into making a good save with time running out. Ronaldo gathered the ball from a long pass on 89 minutes and drove towards Vidal’s goal, but the Brazilian’s radar was woefully off target, and Cartagonova went straight down the other end to once again test Laínez. In injury time, Ronaldo managed to hit the bar, but Cartagonova deserved their 2-0 victory that all but seals their third consecutive title in the Primera Liga…â€

Well, that was a great win for us. Not as exciting perhaps as the 6-2 win a season or so back, but we did look the much better side on the afternoon. The difference was Alex Notman, who had twelve shots at goal, with five on target and two goals. He was well-supported by José Manuel Redondo, and the excellent midfield work of George Clegg in setting up these opportunities can’t be overlooked. However, the defence shouldn’t be neglected, either. Vidal did a superb job in goal, while the second-choice centre-half pairing of Wingård and Lasa, in for the injured Gershon and Smith, performed magnificently. However, Gavião was also immensely important, showing once again why he is one of the best - if not the best - anchor midfielder in Spain.

I’m very proud of the boys after today’s game.

Barcelona (1-2-5-2): Laínez; Cannavaro; André Luiz, Hakala; Lorenzo Ruiz (de la Rosa 46), Alex, Brighi, Falcón (Ricardo Jorge 21), Varela; Ronaldo ©, Bardaro.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, WingÃ¥rd, Lasa, César; Gavião; Djordjic, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Barcelona 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

11th of May 2009

Numancia were certainly impressed by the performance of Lasa, offering me £4.4 million over 18 months to take the player back to his last club. I don’t like the deal, so I reject it.

12th of May 2009

Now it is José Manuel Redondo’s turn to be praised in the media, with a few newspaper journalists and analysts saying that the striker has been performing brilliantly recently, while other players and managers also praise him. I add my words of public praise for the stiker, which again earns me commendations from the fans and chairman in the way I’ve handled the media.

13th of May 2009

The UEFA Cup goes this season to Greece as Panathinaikos beats Club Brugge 1-0 after extra time at Stade de France. The Belgian club had two players sent off during the game.

16th of May 2009

Barcelona keeps the title race alive after defeating Valencia 3-1 in Valencia. A hat-trick to Ronaldo was sufficient to dismiss the feeble challenge of the 11th placed Valencia.

17th of May 2009

Primera Liga - Game 35: Cartagonova v Atlético Madrid

We need the victory to ensure that time continues to run out for Barcelona in the chase for the title. But Atlético Madrid surprise us with a resolute performance. David Charcos almost opens the scoring for the visitors on 4 minutes but Vidal saves his shot well. We are shut out from attacking until the 23rd minute when Garrido’s cross is hit towards goal with a bicycle kick from Redondo, but the striker unluckily hits the post. Ten minutes later, however, we are behind when César fails to properly intercept a pass between Djaló and Verón and Ronald Gomez hits a scoring shot from 40 yards. icon_frown.gificon_mad.gif We put the ball in the back of the net on 44 minutes but Clegg’s goal is ruled out for off-side against Notman, to make me really happy going into the half-time break.

On the hour mark, Atlético Madrid almost buries us, but Vidal is able to tip aside David Charcos’ header. A moment later, the captain falls gratefully on the cross of Boskovic before he can find his strikers, while on 65 minutes, Redondo forces the hitherto bored Muñoz to make a save. But nothing happens until the last minute of normal time when, finally, we gain an equaliser. Cabrera and César combine to set up Garrido, and the winger scores his fifth goal of an injury-interrupted season to equalise us. In injury time, we almost steal the win when Redondo forces Muñoz into making another save, but winning the game probably would have been undeserved.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Djordjic (Rønning 65), Gavião, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Atlético Madrid (4-3-2-1): Muñoz; Cellay, David Charcos, Flávio, de la Rosa; Camoranesi (Verón 22), Herrero (Samuel 43), Romerito; Boskovic, Gomez; Djaló ©.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Atlético Madrid

MoM - Flávio

Obviously, people thought we would take a huge step towards wrapping up the title in today’s game, as a record crowd of 24,526 show up to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena to watch us be held to a 1-1 draw.

Athletic Bilbao is the first club to be relegated this season from the Primera Liga. Compostela wins promotion from the Segunda Liga back to the Primera Liga for the first time in at least ten seasons.

18th of May 2009

Barcelona makes an offer of £2.5 million for Gavião. I immediately make a counter-offer of £2.5 million + José de la Rosa, valuing my midfielder at £10.5 million.

20th of May 2009

Barcelona gives up on Gavião. I’m in Denmark preparing for tonight’s clash with Porto in the European Champions' League final, so I don’t really care at the moment.

European Champions' League - Final: Porto v Cartagonova

It’s the rematch of the final two seasons ago where we defeated our Portuguese opponent 3-2 in a thrilling game. Unfortunately, history fails to repeat itself as Porto’s Hélder Postiga scores the only goal of the game on 16 minutes and Porto then proceed to hang onto their 1-0 lead for the rest of the game. Not through lack of trying, though, because we throw everything and then some at Porto’s keeper Marco Moreira. But he claims the man of the match award with a brilliant display of reflex goalkeeping that denies us a chance of pushing the game into extra-time.

Porto get the opportunity to score when Shimon Gershon trips Fabrício in full view of the referee, who immediately awards the free kick. Postiga slams it home past Vidal from 25 yards on 16 minutes. icon_frown.gif Four minutes later, Vidal needs all his reflexes to deny a rampaging França from adding to Porto’s lead, who then puts another shot on 24 minutes over the bar. On 28 minutes, Muslimovic almost pulls us level but for the intervention of Moreira, who then jumps on the rebound before Clegg can tuck it away. On 34 minutes, the Englishman smashes a low drive towards goal, but Moreira is again there to deny us an equaliser. Notman then puts a diving header wide of the mark on 43 minutes to leave me with some thinking to do at the break.

On 50 minutes, Redondo puts a volley over Moreira’s bar, and then on 67 minutes, he again misses with a volley. Two minutes later, Notman launches a long-range rocket that Moreira needs to save while on 71 minutes, substitute Ariel Carreño bends a shot towards goal, only to see the Porto captain again save a goal-bound shot. Down the other end, Vidal does well to keep us in the game when he saves from Fabrício on 72 minutes. Four minutes later, our captain again denies the Brazilian striker while on 79 minutes, Redondo misses a fairly simple opportunity. On 85 minutes, Carreño’s header hits the post and goes out of play, while Vidal parries Óscar’s header away for a corner. On 87 minutes, I’m left cursing again when Carreño’s low drive is well-saved by Moreira.

After four minutes of injury time, the referee finally blows three blasts on his whistle to bring the game to an end, and in front of 40,682 people packed into Parken in Copenhagen, and millions more around the world, Marco Moreira, the captain of Porto, is presented with the European Champions' League trophy to mark his club’s triumph. icon_mad.gif It really should have been us, but we were just unlucky on the night. icon_frown.gif

Porto (4-2-4): Moreira ©; Athirson, Silvestre, Jorge Andrade (Mancine 21), Óscar; Postiga (Paredes 91), Rogerio; Vasco Matos, França, Fabrício, Fábio.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera (Carreño 69), Gershon, Smith, César; Tanem; Rønning (Michel 69), Muslimovic; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Final score: Porto 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Marco Moreira

I suppose that missing the midfield triumvirate of Bojan Djordjic on the left wing, Gavião in the central midfield/anchor role, and Jaime Garrido on the right wing didn’t help us at all, but you can’t blame our defeat on that. We just didn’t take the chances that were presented to us.

Now, I have to raise the troops’ spirits for a visit to Mallorca on the weekend as we attempt to stave off Barcelona’s chase for the title.

After the game is played, European managers announce their selections for the next round of World Cup qualifying action from the UEFA zone. Sweden includes Axel Wingård and Bojan Djordjic in its squad to play Turkey in a fortnight. Bosnia calls up Zlatan Muslimovic as they square off against Bulgaria. Hopefully, this time, George Clegg will get some game time for England against Greece. Alex Notman has no such worries as he will take to the field for Scotland against Yugoslavia. Belgium will probably use Jean-François Gillet in goal against Belarus. Wales calls up Andy Owen to its squad for a match against Armenia. Martin Smith is a required member of Denmark’s squad to play Ireland, while Shimon Gershon will again feature for Israel in its game against Iceland. Norway requires Kristian Tanem and Per Vener Rønning to play Austria in a fortnight.

That leaves me to finalise the Spanish squad. Although I’d much rather be celebrating a win in the European Champions' League final, I grit my teeth and put aside my disappointment at losing the match to select a squad. Here it is:

Goalkeepers

Iker Casillas (28 y/o, ESP 6 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (32 y/o, ESP 20 caps, GK): Barcelona

Defenders

Ãngel (19 y/o, ESP, D RL): AS Roma

César Cabrera (24 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D RL): Cartagonova

César (29 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Cartagonova

David Oliva (22 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D RL): Deportivo la Coruña

Borja (31 y/o, ESP 30 caps, D LC): Valencia

Iván Amaya (30 y/o, ESP 55 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo la Coruña

César (31 y/o, ESP 51 caps, 1 goal, D C): Barcelona

Carlos Marchena (29 y/o, ESP 22 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

José de la Rosa (21 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D/DM C): Barcelona

Artur (28 y/o, ESP 5 caps, DM RC): Villarreal

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 18 caps, 3 goals, DM C): Cartagonova

Gabri (30 y/o, ESP 3 caps, 1 goal, M RL): Numancia

Diego (30 y/o, ESP 21 caps, 4 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Miguel Ãngel Angulo (31 y/o, ESP 45 caps, 6 goals, AM/F RC): Valencia

Jaime Garrido (25 y/o, ESP 15 caps, 7 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (24 y/o, ESP 14 caps, 4 goals, AM/F RC): Espanyol

José Antonio Reyes (25 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM L): Real Betis

Vicente (27 y/o, ESP 73 caps, 27 goals, AM/F LC): AS Roma

Forwards

Raúl (31 y/o, ESP 114 caps, 56 goals, AM/F LC): Paris-Saint-Germain

Ignacio Morán (22 y/o, ESP 1 cap, F LC): Deportivo la Coruña

Diego Ribera (32 y/o, ESP 16 caps, 6 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (29 y/o, ESP 16 caps, 6 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 3 goals, S C): Real Madrid

As you can see, there are five Cartagonova players in the squad of 26, while Deportivo and Barcelona boast three players in the squad each. The new boy in the squad is 19 year old full-back Ãngel, who has been impressive with Roma this season. He probably won’t play but he is in the full squad for the experience. I expect him to challenge for a first team place in the international side in the near future.

21st of May 2009

Barcelona again offers me £2.5 million for Gavião. I want £4 million now plus another £1 million after ten internationals.

In the meantime, Lyon makes an offer of £5 million for Kristian Tanem. I think a bid of £9.5 million is more in the correct region.

23rd of May 2009

Barcelona and Lyon give up on Gavião and Tanem respectively.

Real Sociedad defeats Barcelona in the final of the Copa del Rey at the Santiago Bernabéu on penalties after the two clubs drew 3-3 in front of 74,865 people. Joseba Llorente gave Real Sociedad the lead on 6 minutes, and Kevin Mofid extended it to 2-0 five minutes later. But Barcelona equalised as Juan Sebastián Verón and Alex scored on 33 and 39 minutes respectively. However, da Silva put Real Sociedad in the lead by half-time when he scored on 43 minutes, yet Ricardo Jorge equalised on 63 minutes. The Portuguese midfielder, however, was sent off ten minutes later, and the game went through extra-time without further scoring. Eighteen penalties were taken by both sides, with Real Sociedad winning 6-5.

24th of May 2009

Primera Liga - Game 36: Mallorca v Cartagonova

“… Defending champion and league leader Cartagonova eventually prevailed over a determined Mallorca, but not before the host gave the visitors a big fright. After the disappointment of Wednesday evening where Cartagonova lost 1-0 to Porto in the European Champions' League final, it was important for them to score first. They did so, with Alex Notman supplying the finishing touch to a beautiful cross from Cabrera on eight minutes. On 14 minutes, Redondo should have doubled the lead, but his shot cleared the bar by many inches. Then Mallorca equalised immediately from the goal kick, with Michel and Tamandi finding the veteran English midfielder Tony Grant who played it past Rønning and then found his way into a shooting position where he hit the back of the net.â€

“That was practically all the first half action, as Cartagonova’s players looked tired after a long season. Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, made a change at half-time, bringing off the exhausted Redondo and replacing him with Ariel Carreño. However, that seemed not to have any effect on the game, as it was only thirty minutes later that something happened. On 76 minutes, George Clegg fed Notman in the penalty area, and the big Scottish international buried his second goal past the Mallorca keeper. Roberto Losada wasted two opportunities on 85 minutes and 90 minutes to equalise for the hosts, but Cartagonova players were jubilant when the final whistle was blown, knowing they are three points closer to winning their third consecutive league title.â€

To give Mallorca their credit, they made it tough for us today. They never gave us an inch, no doubt hoping that they could steal some points from the game to ensure they don’t fall into the clutches of a relegation fight at the end of the season. And but for the brilliance of Alex Notman on two occasions, they would have succeeded. It certainly was not a classic game of attacking football, but these are the types of games you need to win to ensure that the chances of winning the title are maximised. With a game in hand, Barcelona now trail us by seven points, so they need to win every game from here on while we have to lose our last two games of the season. That’s the type of mathematics I like when the season is close to finishing and a league title is up for grabs.

Mallorca (3-5-2): Felip; Keita, Luis Alfonso, Rivas; Ramirez ©, Castillo (Lauren 78), Grant (Andrezinho 72), Pertot (Petkov 78), Tamandi; Losada, Michel.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Gavião; Rønning, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo (Carreño 46), Notman.

Final score: Mallorca 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Alex Notman

25th of May 2009

I reject two offers from Hertha Berlin and Sevilla for Notman and César respectively this morning.

27th of May 2009

Barcelona keeps the title race alive for at least one more weekend after they defeated Sporting Gijón 3-2 at the Nou Camp. César put the host ahead on 6 minutes, and Verón doubled the lead on 13 minutes. But Fransisco Javier Hernández pulled a goal back in the last minute of the first half, and four minutes into the second, the visitors were level after Ãngel Samper scored. But Argentine striker Cristian Bardaro scored the winner in injury time of the game to breathe more life into the title race.

So, with two games left to play, we lead Barcelona by four points, with Real Sociedad in third, seven points further behind. Down the other end of the table, Athletic Bilbao and Racing Santander are both confirmed as being relegated. Osasuna needs to overtake Real Zaragoza in the next two weeks, being three points behind the latter club. In the Segunda Liga, so far only Compostela is confirmed as coming up to the Primera Liga. With two games left to play, neither Real Vallodolid nor Extremadura are confirmed yet as being promoted, with Hércules, Polideportivo Almería and Real Oviedo still harbouring hopes of being promoted.

29th of May 2009

Glasgow Rangers offers me £5 million for Kristian Tanem. I want £10 million for the Norwegian.

31st of May 2009

Rangers give up on Tanem.

Primera Liga - Game 37: Cartagonova v Villarreal

The second-last game of the season is our last game at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena for 2008/09. It is important, of course, to register a victory to put the pressure right back on Barcelona, who visit fourth-placed Numancia in a tough match. Notman gets on the job early in the piece, fizzing a shot over the bar on 4 minutes, and then a moment later, he out-jumps Marco Schmidt to meet Garrido’s exquisitely placed cross to head past Javier López Vallejo. Then Villarreal manage to go a man down after Frank Lampard is sent off on 21 minutes for two yellow card offences. But despite the man advantage, we can’t build upon the good start Notman gave us, as on 25 minutes, he hits a shot wide, then four minutes later, López Vallejo pulls off a good save to deny the Scotsman.

Villarreal then close down for the rest of the first half, and we can’t find a productive way through their desperate defence. In the second half, Villarreal come out looking for the equaliser, and their efforts are rewarded on 68 minutes, much to my chagrin, when Víctor launches a long ball forward for Gómez to smash past the diving Vidal. icon_frown.gif But it only takes us six minutes to re-establish our lead, as Garrido reaches the by-line, pulls it back to George Clegg, and the Englishman finds Notman. The Scottish striker doesn’t let us down, slamming home the winning goal on 74 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif On 82 minutes, Redondo hits a volley over the bar, while on 90 minutes I’m left hoping against hope that Adolfo will miss his opportunity to bring Villarreal level. Fortunately, with Vidal stranded, the former Linense forward smacks his drive against the post and it rebounds to safety.

Finally, with the fans whistling in unison for the final whistle, the referee Señor Díaz Batista obliges with three long blasts on his whistle to bring down the curtain. I’m immediately told by my assistant, Señor Luis Sosa that Barcelona could only fight out a 0-0 draw with Numancia, leaving us six points clear at the top of the ladder with just one game to play! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif That means that for the third consecutive season, we are the champions of Spain! icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_cool.gificon_smile.gif

The Spanish FA hastily construct the podium for the trophy and the individual winners’ medals to be handed out, and I stand back to allow Iván Vidal and his colleagues to lift the championship trophy high above their heads to the general adulation of the 21,390 fans crammed into the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena! After a few moments of basking in the glory by themselves, they invite me onto the podium to share in the congratulations, and I immediately clamber onto the platform, and share a drink of champagne that materialised from nowhere that fills the bottom of the trophy.

There is still a week of the season left to play, plus a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday evening, but you couldn’t be human and not allow the people you’ve worked with for an entire season towards this goal to celebrate it in some fashion. I think there will be a few sore heads come tomorrow morning, but hopefully there will be enough restraint to ensure that those required to report to their countries for international duties will still be able to function. Then, next weekend, you’ll find against Celta Vigo that a different-looking Cartagonova side will take the field.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Cabrera, Gershon, Smith, César; Rønning, Gavião, Garrido; Clegg; Redondo, Notman.

Villarreal (4-2-4): López Vallejo ©; Sonkaya, Puertas, Medina, Schmidt (Miguel Abad 58); Lampard, Artur; Gaitán (Moha 71), Moedim Júnior (Adolfo 89), Víctor, Gómez.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Villarreal

MoM - Alex Notman

We won the championship today because Barcelona could not break down a determined Numancia defence in Soria, while Barcelona also had their goalkeeper and my international goalkeeper, César Laínez injured and will miss three weeks, including Wednesday evening’s game for Spain against Malta. I call up Espanyol’s 33 year old keeper, Esteban, to replace him: Esteban (33 y/o, ESP, GK): Espanyol

3rd of June 2009

World Cup qualifier - Group 6, Game 7: Malta v Spain

The Spanish squad is in Valletta, to play Malta in a World Cup qualifier. Without Laínez available to me, Iker Casillas gets the nod ahead of Vidal and Esteban to stand between the posts. Garrido and Zubizarreta are on both wings for the first time in a long time, while Vicente supports Raúl and Diego Ribera, with Sabino unable to take his place due to a training mishap yesterday. We begin aggressively with Vicente forcing Justin Haber into making a finger-tip save on 5 minutes, while Diego Ribera shoots over the bar on 8 minutes. On 19 minutes, Diego Ribera reaches the by-line and cuts the ball back for the onrushing Gavião, but the midfielder heads over the bar unfortunately. Some nine minutes later, Garrido hits a bending shot towards goal, but Haber is a more than competent keeper, and he keeps the scoresheet clean for the moment. Three minutes later, Zubizerreta creates a good opportunity for Diego Ribera, but Haber again prevents us taking the lead.

However, continued pressure pays off when on 32 minutes, after Malta can’t clear their lines, Gavião hits a perfect ball into the area for his club teammate Jaime Garrido to smash past the helpless Haber, who yells angrily at his defence for failing to pick up the left winger. But our lead lasts only seven minutes as Marchena’s tackle on Nwoko falls kindly for Michael Mifsud to bury past Casillas to leave me shaking my head in frustration. We’re straight back on the attack, but Haber is determined not to be beaten again before half-time and we enter the break still deadlocked at 1-1 apiece.

Not for very long, though, as four minutes into the second half, Malta take the shock lead through a speculative drive from Hermínio that Casillas fails completely to pick up. That spurs us into action, as on 54 minutes, Raúl draws the Maltese defence towards him before picking out the unmarked Gavião, and the Cartagonova midfielder slams home the equaliser. On 66 minutes, Garrido almost gives us the lead but for the intervention of Haber, but a moment later, he has no such difficulty in scoring, firing into the bottom right corner of the net from Diego Ribera’s cleverly weighted cross. On 71 minutes, we make it 4-2 when Gavião passes into the area for the advantage of the Celta Vigo striker, and Diego Ribera accepts the chance with aplomb. Raúl deserves a goal, but Haber denies him one on 75 minutes, and again on 86 minutes. We should have had a penalty on 89 minutes when Gavião is legged inside the area by Villegas, but no such luck from the referee. That doesn’t prevent us from creating one more chance, as Raúl puts a shot wide in injury time to end the game.

Malta (5-3-2): Haber ©; Lannacone (Forace 53), Tavcar, Villegas, Heamed, Maloney; Muscat (Makhan 58), Hermínio, Giglio; Nwoko, Mifsud.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Casillas; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, Oliva; Gavião; Garrido, Zubizarreta; Vicente; Raúl ©, Diego Ribera.

Final score: Malta 2:4 Spain

MoM - Gavião

In other World Cup qualifiers involving Cartagonova players, Zlatan Muslimovic takes man of the match honours as he scores the only goal in Bosnia’s 1-0 win over Bulgaria in Sofia. Axel Wingård starts the game for Sweden in their 3-1 victory over Turkey in Stockholm. Sweden actually went into the break 1-0 down, but three goals in the space of five minutes did the job for Sweden. Scotland, with Alex Notman in from the start, wasted a golden opportunity to take all three points on the road against Yugoslavia, as they drew 1-1 in Belgrade. Andy Owen was ineffective in Wales’ 2-0 victory over Armenia. Shimon Gershon will be kicking himself for failing to add to his tally of five international goals for Israel as they walloped Albania 4-0 in Tirane. Ireland was too good for Martin Smith’s Denmark as they won 3-1 in Copenhagen. Kristian Tanem was named as Norway’s captain as his country defeated Austria 3-2. Both Tanem and Rønning were on the scoresheete for the Norwegians.

Dixie Flatline

After a great weekend celebrating my birthday, and before I turn in, I thought I'd add a little more to the story!

Briefly running through the groups, and in Group 1, Sweden’s 3-1 victory over Turkey puts them top ahead of Turkey, while Bosnia’s 1-0 victory over Bulgaria lifts them into third, a point behind the top two. In Group 2, the Czech Republic lost 2-1 to Slovakia, and Slovakia went top although with one extra game played. The Ukraine will struggle to even make it to second place in the group after they lost 2-0 to fifth-placed FYROM. In Group 3, there were two draws, as first-placed Portugal were held to a 1-1 draw by Finland, while England and Greece failed to capitalise on Portugal’s slip, as they drew 2-2 in England. In Group 4, Italy consolidated top position after easily defeating the Faeroe Islands 3-1, while Northern Ireland moved back into second place after beating Moldova 1-0 on the road. Yugoslavia and Scotland’s 1-1 draw suits neither country.

Group 5 sees Belgium running away with it, and they are confirmed as already qualified for World Cup 2010 after they defeated Belarus 1-0 in Brussels. Croatia, too, already looks like they have second placed wrapped up after defeating Switzerland 3-1 in Split. Spain maintains a seven point lead over Wales in Group 6, with Malta a further two points behind. Spain defeated Malta 4-2 in Valletta, while Wales beat Armenia 2-0 on the road. Poland and Georgia shared the points in a 2-2 draw in Chorzow.

Russia’s place at the top of Group 7 is under threat after they suffered a surprise 2-1 loss in Moskva at the hands of Slovenia, who are third, while Hungary and Romania shared the points in a 0-0 draw that will not affect the outcome of the group. Ireland leads Group 8 by a point from the Netherlands and Israel after they defeated a lacklustre Denmark 3-1 in Copenhagen. The Netherlands defeated Andorra 3-0 on the road, while Israel crushed Albania 4-0 in Tirane. France enjoys a comfortable six point lead in Group 9 after defeating San Marino 4-2 in France. Norway helped France’s cause by defeating second-placed Austria 3-2, while Iceland remained third after beating Azerbaijan 2-0 in Reykjavik.

6th of June 2009

Ronaldo is named the FIFA World Player of the Year, ahead of Emanuele Calaiò and Vincenzo Iaquinta. Calaiò is in turn named the World Footballer of the Year, ahead of Iaquinta and Vincenzo Montella.

A football web-site praises Gavião’s form this season, saying that he has never played better. Despite being resigned to losing him, I want to be careful that I keep him onside as regards his on-field contribution, so I agree with that sentiment. That pleases the fans, but the board remains conspicuously quiet.

7th of June 2009

Primera Liga - Game 38: Celta Vigo v Cartagonova

In a meaningless game, I completely change the first eleven around, with only César and to a lesser extent, Bojan Djordjic having much game time in the league this season. It shows, with many of the players not used to playing with each other off the training track, and the customary fluidity and speed of our attacks is not there today. Fortunately, Celta Vigo are preoccupied with their own troubles concerning the future of their manager, and they are in no position to take advantage of the charity I offer. The only goal of the game comes in injury time at the end of the game, as substitute Gary Mason - a breath of fresh air when he comes on - smashes home man of the match Palomino’s pass into the top corner of Asper’s net.

The only thing the game really told me was who is worth keeping and who should be moving on between now and the new season.

Celta Vigo (4-3-2-1): Asper; Sorín, Marchena ©, Toni, Sousa; Xavi, Astudillo, Morales (Jorge Pérez 60); Gustavo López, Casquero; Diego Ribera (McCarthy 53).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Lacruz, Lasa, Palomino, César; Jesús (Mason 68); Djordjic (Otfors-Palmqvist 68), Bubb; Hernández ©; Carreño, Samba.

Final score: Celta Vigo 0:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Palomino

9th of June 2009

The final two fixtures of the 2008/09 season are played this afternoon, with Atlético Madrid demolishing Numancia 5-0, while Real Sociedad and Racing Santander played a 1-1 draw. The results leave the final standings looking like this:

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

1st C Cartagonova 38 12 7 0 27 11 13 2 4 47 24 84

2nd Barcelona 38 12 3 4 44 17 11 6 2 36 17 78

3rd Real Sociedad 38 13 5 1 45 23 6 6 7 31 34 68

4th Numancia 38 12 4 3 42 21 7 3 9 24 35 64

5th Betis 38 11 3 5 29 19 6 6 7 24 26 60

6th Espanyol 38 10 4 5 40 29 6 8 5 21 20 60

7th Elche 38 12 3 4 29 15 5 5 9 20 30 59

8th Celta 38 8 5 6 21 19 8 4 7 28 25 57

9th Deportivo 38 11 3 5 40 21 3 8 8 24 32 53

10th Real Madrid 38 9 7 3 42 29 5 4 10 20 29 53

11th Atlético Madrid 38 7 4 8 31 26 7 6 6 26 25 52

12th Sporting Gijón 38 11 3 5 28 20 3 3 13 19 39 48

13th Valencia 38 6 5 8 33 31 7 3 9 26 25 47

14th Alavés 38 9 3 7 25 20 3 5 11 19 35 44

15th Mallorca 38 6 6 7 22 18 4 7 8 15 25 43

16th Villarreal 38 8 6 5 29 31 4 1 14 20 43 43

17th Osasuna 38 7 6 6 20 18 3 3 13 15 32 39

18th R Zaragoza 38 5 5 9 26 31 5 4 10 17 27 39

19th R Racing Santander 38 4 7 8 15 31 3 2 14 15 39 30

20th R Athletic Bilbao 38 5 3 11 15 30 1 6 12 13 41 27

</pre>

So, now that the season is over, it’s time to take a look at the squad and how each player performed during the year. As always, we’ll start with the goalkeepers:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK - 344(1) apps, 391 conceded, 28 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32): 52 apps, 44 conceded, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.35: In terms of conceding goals, this was Iván’s best season, as he conceded less than one goal per game for the first time in his career. Now with almost 350 appearances for the club in all competitions under his belt, Iván is by far the established number one keeper, and I normally rate him in the top three keepers in Spain. There is still two seasons to run on his current contract, and I will hope to keep him here in Cartagena for a few more seasons after that. However, the first signs of trouble with Iván have emerged this season, as he was (and remains) unhappy that I turned down offers from Real Madrid for him. There is no question that he has the talent to succeed at a club like Real Madrid, but for the third consecutive season he has lifted the Primera Liga trophy and came within a goal or two of claiming a second European Champions' League final victory. Surely, he must see that his best chance of capturing more glory, at least at a club level, is to stay here and continue to captain the club. I hope that he comes to see things my way again soon, as I’m anxious to commence contract negotiations with him.

Davide Bagnacani (29 y/o, ITA, GK - 4(1) apps, 4 conceded, av. rating: 7.20): 4(1) apps, 4 conceded, av. rating: 7.20: Hardly called upon this season, but when he did come on, he did a competent enough job. Still, I didn’t like the fact that when he started a game for the club, we inevitably conceded a goal. There probably isn’t enough justification in the short time he did appear in goal for Cartagonova to make a proper case, but I would like to know that my reserve keepers are capable of holding down the job for at least a little while until the ‘main man’ in Iván Vidal comes back.

Jean-François Gillet (31 y/o, BEL 29 caps, GK - 7 apps, 12 conceded, av. rating: 6.86): 2 apps, 6 conceded, av. rating: 5.00: One terrible and, frankly, deplorable appearance in the league has effectively doomed Gillet’s career here at Cartagonova. He is home sick at the moment, and costs me a high £19,750 per week in wages for not much result. I wouldn’t be surprised if, at the start of next season, I place him on the transfer list and cut my losses with him. I would rather invest the money in a young, long-term, preferably Spanish, replacement for Vidal when he finally either leaves or retires. I don’t think that Gillet now fits the bill of a reserve keeper like I thought he would when I signed him a couple of seasons ago.

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (31 y/o, ISR 53 caps, 5 goals, SW/D/S C - 186(4) apps, 7 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19): 45 apps, 2 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.09: Another competent season’s work from Shimon Gershon, as he continues to gain experience, maturity and respect from his colleagues here at the club. Now passed the 50 international appearance mark for his country, and with three consecutive championship winners’ medals to put on his mantelpiece, Shimon has certainly done well out of his move from Osasuna a few seasons ago. Firmly ensconced in the centre of my defence, I really wish that he would take better care of himself because his injuries in the past couple of seasons have caused some concerning interruptions and have meant that his seasons have perhaps been a little below par. Now into his thirties, he is over 350 career appearances and should have the experience to talk up his leadership aspirations, thereby supporting Iván Vidal in the process. Perhaps not in the same class as, for example, Cannavaro or Alessandro Nesta, but then again, who is, and he has served the club very well since I brought him here a few seasons ago. I look forward to Shimon continuing the good work next season.

Palomino (21 y/o, ESP, SW/D/DM C - 1 app, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 9.00): 1 app, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 9.00: Although I purchased him in the winter of 2008, Palomino had to wait until the last day of the season to make his debut, in a fairly meaningless league match against Celta Vigo. But Palomino seized the chance with both hands, handling the responsibilities of being a centre half with aplomb and maturity that belies his tender years, and further, setting up the only goal of the game to give us an unexpected victory. If he shows that type of talent on a consistent basis in the next few seasons, I think that the fact that we managed to off-load an ageing, if still talented, veteran in Ballesteros for money plus this player will mean that we had the better side of the bargain. He still is, of course, very much the raw material, but I think that we have a good prospect on our hands here. I am keen to see him develop as a cultured but tough central defender for the club in the next few seasons to take over the reigns from somebody like Shimon Gershon.

César Cabrera (24 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D RL - 66(7) apps, 1 goal, 16 assists, av. rating: 6.82): 34(4) apps, 7 assists, av. rating: 6.79: Unfortunately, I felt quite frustrated by Cabrera at times this season. As I’ve discovered with previous full-backs at this club, the position appears to breed inconsistency, as Cabrera could perform very well one week, and then the next let down his teammates with some diabolical defending. He was probably fortunate that I did not have a direct replacement, as José María Lacruz and Per Vener Rønning both shared the duties of filling in for the out-of-sorts Cabrera during the season, but I really didn’t trust either of them to take the position on a permanent basis. One saving grace from Cabrera is his attacking work, as he has already created 16 goals usually from crosses and corners. If he keeps that up in the next few seasons, he will have plenty of opportunity during games to perfect his defending technique. And the fact that I allowed him to make his Spanish international debut this season should indicate that I believe he does have some talent about him.

César (29 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 1 goal, D RL - 76(2) apps, 1 goal, 13 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.92): 42(2) apps, 1 goal, 7 assists, av. rating: 6.86: Like Cabrera before him, I was quite frustrated by César this season. He was again inconsistent in the standard of the performance he turned in this season, but unlike César Cabrera, I didn’t really have a direct replacement I could throw into the mix to give César the motivation I felt he needed to sharpen his game. Perhaps that is something I might like to address next season, particularly now that Ballesteros is gone and Thuram will retire. Don’t get me wrong, I think that César is a talented player and has a good future here at Cartagonova, but I think also that he needs some times motivation from the fact that there are hungry players willing to take his place in the first eleven at the first sign of a dropping standard. This is something I need to address soon.

Djibril Diawara (34 y/o, SEN 20 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC - 9(4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.08): 0 apps: Never looked like playing a game and is finally on his way out of the club on a Bosman free transfer in 18 days.

José María Lacruz (31 y/o, ESP, D RL - 208(6) apps, 2 goals, 11 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63): 18 apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.61: Unfortunately for José, I think his time as the first choice left back at this club is drawing to a close. Only 18 appearances for José means that I finally turned to somebody else to fill the breach. But perhaps there is still some hope for José in continuing to play for Cartagonova in that his direct replacement, Cabrera, was not quite the consistent player that I thought he would be. That is not to say that José was a great player. His statistics over the past few seasons would not suggest that he was, and I don’t think we could ever bank on José being more than just a competent player, which is what he is. He is a useful player to have in the squad, because I know that he can do a job when required, but beyond that, I think that his aspirations from remaining in the frame for the first team will have to be dampened somewhat.

Lilian Thuram (37 y/o, FRA 118 caps, 6 goals, D RC - 4(2) apps, av. rating: 6.50): 4(2) apps, av. rating: 6.50: I think that time has finally caught up with this veteran warrior. However, he did manage to bring up his 650th career club appearance while at Cartagonova, which is a fitting milestone to retire from the playing staff, which is exactly what he plans to do at the end of this season. I look forward to working with Lilian on the training staff from next season.

Martin Smith (30 y/o, DAN 42 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC - 71(3) apps, 7 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.88): 46 apps, 4 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.85: Like so many other of the defenders this season, Martin had an inconsistent season but did nothing so drastically wrong to change my mind that he is a first choice centre half for the club in the near future. He forged a good working partnership with Shimon but unfortunately his posturing early in the season managed to alienate a goodly number of the squad, and some players still remain aloof from the Danish defender. In fact, he does not have the support of the board, and they constantly remind me every month that they believe he should not be in the squad. The last few players to have felt their wrath have eventually left the club when they lost my confidence in them, but at this point at time, I’m prepared to defy my board and continue choosing him in the first eleven along side Shimon in defence.

Moustapha Keità (29 y/o, FRA, D/DM C - 5(1) apps, av. rating: 6.33): 0 apps: Like Djibril Diawara, he really is surplus to requirements, and frankly, I don’t care where he goes, so long as next season he is no longer here. He will be going to promoted Extremadura next season, and I wish him all the luck in the world.

José Manuel Lasa (24 y/o, ESP, D C - 33(3) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.11): 15(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.11: José did much this season to consolidate the thoughts in my mind that he is the leading candidate of the next generation of Cartagonova players to emerge to take a first team spot in the defence. He was an excellent tackler this season, averating 4.5 tackles per game, while his pass completion rate topped 80%. Unfortunately, his good form managed to attract some transfer interest, and José feels aggrieved that we did not allow him to explore his options. But frankly I could not see him achieving much elsewhere and I hope to retain him in order so that he exploits the potential that lies in him to the fullest.

Axel Wingård (28 y/o, SWE 5 caps, D C - 30(5) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, av. rating: 6.91): 13(3) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.94: A moderately successful season for Axel this time around, and he was rewarded by an elevation back into the Swedish squad and a start for his country in their last World Cup qualifier. As a back-up central defender, I could not ask more from Axel, and I hope that he remains happy in that role for the next couple of seasons.

Midfielders

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 4 goals, DM C - 183(7) apps, 30 goals, 37 assists, 14 MoMs, av. rating: 7.41): 36(2) apps, 5 goals, 6 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.39: There is no question that when he is switched on and in form, Gavião is the most formidable defensive midfielder in Spain today. Unfortunately, the long-running wrangle between himself and me has caused Gavião to produce on steadily reducing occasions the type of form that had endeared himself to me and the fans of the club at the beginning of our relationship when he was a Brazilian player between clubs. His desire to leave Cartagonova continues to manifest itself quite strongly and I do not think that there will be a resolution beyond his sale at a markedly reduced price to one of our rivals, or even worse, a Bosman free transfer. It would be my choice to renegotiate his contract and persuade him to stay for several more years, earning plenty of Spanish international caps and more club accolades than he can ever poke a stick at, but Gavião has different ideas and he is determined to go through with them.

Gary Mason (29 y/o, SCO 5 caps, 1 goal, DM C - 1(1) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 7.50): 1(1) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 7.50: The first of my purchases this season to cover the expected loss of both Gavião and Tanem, unfortunately, Gary’s chance to shine at his new club was taken away by my persistence with both the two other players. However, I would have no doubt that Gary, who spent several seasons with Real Vallodolid, that would easily adjust to the requirements of the Primera Liga. Perhaps he doesn’t quite have the tackling ability that might be necessary to cope with the best attacking midfielders of the league, but in every other respect, I think that Gary is a top class player and would contribute whenever he is called upon.

Andy Owen (24 y/o, WAL 31 caps, 9 goals, DM/S C - 0(4) apps, av. rating: 6.75): 0(4) apps, av. rating: 6.75: Another player whom I purchased for the future and has struggled to show what he is capable of in the meantime, Andy does not seem to have the ability to fit into life in Spain. I hope that he does manage to make that transition, because the young and exceptionally talented Welshman would be a very valuable first team player over the next few seasons. Not particularly blessed with pace, Andy is a solid, physically well-built player capable of breaking up opposition forays or springing his own attacks, depending on where he is used. However, his lack of opportunities here at Cartagonova have coincided with a downturn of his form for Wales. Hopefully, over the summer months, Andy will adjust to life in a new country and come back next season fresh and ready to challenge for a first team spot.

Kristian Tanem (26 y/o, NOR 35 caps, 18 goals, DM/F C - 47(15) apps, 7 goals, 14 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.36): 23(4) apps, 3 goals, 5 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.56: Unfortunately for Kristian, his long-running feud with myself has necessarily reduced the opportunities he had this season. He must still be rated as one of the best players and midfielders in the world, and it must be frustrating to him that he cannot command a first team place in the club, but his attitude is such that I cannot afford to indulge him in such luxuries. In the end, I feel resigned that I’m going to have to sell him at a cheap price in order to make some money on him, because I don’t think that I can renegotiate a contract extension this coming season. I really would like to, but I don’t think it’s possible.

Per Vener Rønning 26 y/o, NOR 18 caps, 3 goals, D/DM/F LC - 39(21) apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.95): 29(5) apps, 1 goal, 2 assists, av. rating: 6.88: Like his international comrade, Per Vener has perhaps not quite grasped the opportunities available here. He began the season by alienating some of the squad by announcing that he wanted to leave the club, but after I firmly quashed any rumours of his impending departure, Per Vener settled down and attempted to find first team football on a regular basis. However, it seemed almost inevitable that I used him in a stop-gap capacity, filling in on the left wing and at left back whenever he was necessary. However, analysing his progress during the season indicates that the defensive role suits Per Vener best, and I think in the future that he will play there more regularly than elsewhere. That is, if he still wants to be a Cartagonova player next season.

Jesús (28 y/o, ESP, M RC - 2(1) apps, av. rating: 5.67): 2(1) apps, av. rating: 5.67: The few appearances that this player made for Cartagonova suggests quite strongly that he does not belong here, and it would be mutually beneficial if he moved on.

Byron Bubb (27 y/o, ENG 3 caps, 1 goal, AM RC - 11(6) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.59): 11(6) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.59: Like the previous player, the more I saw of Byron this season, the more I felt that he did not belong at this club. He began well enough, but unfortunately, his last half-dozen or so appearances for Cartagonova have been mediocre, to say the least. He has had the chance to prove himself this season, and I’m sorry to say that I feel that the money I spent on him during last summer was a waste, and I’ll be looking to recoup some of it before too long.

George Clegg (28 y/o, ENG 1 cap, AM/F RC - 185(24) apps, 58 goals, 46 assists, 15 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38): 50(2) apps, 17 goals, 13 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.65: It was great to see George step up to the plate after the retirement of Fernando Morán at the end of last season. In terms of raw numbers, George had at least the equal of the 2006/07, where he scored 15 goals and created 13 more. The extra two goals he scored this season, and a better average rating means that George should be very pleased with his work this season, and I cannot for the life of me understand why the English hierarchy continue to omit him from England’s games in the World Cup qualifiers. There is no question that he is one of the best recent attacking midfielders produced by that country and he should be a regular in their first team. At least he can be personally satisfied that he now has two Primera Liga winners’ medals to put on his mantelpiece once he has retired, but I hope that there is plenty of more from where this season came from in our George.

Elias Krantz (27 y/o, SWE, AM RC - 11(5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.56): 0 apps: Spent the last six months of the season on loan to a Segunda Liga B club where he has done quite well. I can’t really see Elias figuring in my long-term plans for the club, but the fact that he came to us quite cheaply means that practically any sale of him will realise a profit.

Dixie Flatline

Wrapping up the season!

Zlatan Muslimovic (28 y/o, BOS 54 caps, 25 goals, AM/F RC - 23(7) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.10): 23(7) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.10: I have to admit that I played Zlatan rather more this season than I expected to. He was signed as a squad player to cover players like George Clegg and Jaime Garrido, and when the latter player went down with a serious long-term injury at an important time of the season, I needed the Bosnian to step up to fill the breach. He did that job quite competently and earned my respect for it. He also won a Primera Liga winners’ medal for his troubles, which I’m sure is something more than he expected. He should not expect a regular first team place next season, because he is not good enough when compared to those he is trying to oust, but I know that when cover is required, he is a good player to call upon.

Ramón Salas (24 y/o, ESP, AM RL - 11(4) apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.47): 1(1) apps, av. rating: 6.00: Like Elias, he spent the last six months of the season on loan to a Segunda Liga B club, where he played a prominent role. Hopefully the experience will do him some good, because next season I think that he can begin to play an enlarged role for the club. Whether he is up to it or not is a matter than only time will judge, but I think there is sufficient talent in him for him to make some type of impact. The rest is up to him.

Bojan Djordjic (27 y/o, SWE 16 caps, 1 goal, AM LC - 35(7) apps, 4 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 7.08): 24(2) apps, 2 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.12: It was gratifying to see Bojan make some strides this season. He is edging himself slightly ahead of the pack in the race to take over Michel’s position on the left of midfield, and if he keeps up his performances in the opening stages of next season, then I know he is for real.

Michel (33 y/o, ESP, AM L - 289(14) apps, 42 goals, 65 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.12): 17(2) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.79: Unfortunately, I think Michel’s excellent Cartagonova career must be drawing to a close. He did not perform anywhere near to his previously very high standard last season, and I was eventually forced to look to others, particularly Bojan Djordjic, to take over the left wing. But there is no denying that Michel has been a magnificent servant for Cartagonova over the 7½ seasons he has been at the club, and I’m sure that next season I will still be able to find a place in my squad for him. I don’t think, however, that we will see much more of Michel in a competitive capacity for this club.

Ola Otfors-Palmqvist (28 y/o, SWE AM/F LC - 2(2) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.25): 2(2) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.25: Another disappointing player this season, I had expected him to really play a part in our success, but it looks like the £1.9 million I paid to Getafe has been a waste of money. To be sure, he only had a few chances to impress me this season, but the worrying thing was that the form was just as bad whether he started the game or came on as a substitute. There were some signs of improvement late in the season, but I don’t think that Otfors-Palmvqist is a player with a future here at Cartagonova.

Rivaldo (37 y/o, BRA 119 caps, 26 goals, AM LC - 0(1) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 8.00): 0(1) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 8.00: Played a very minimal part in our success this season, but it has been a privilege to see the veteran go through his paces during training, showing off some of the tricks that made him such a star at Barcelona. He is expected to retire at the end of the season, and it will be the passing of an era when he does. He will bow out with 620 league appearances, with 239 goals to his name, plus the 119 caps he has earned for Brazil. He captured the FIFA World Player of the Year award back in 2000/01, and again in 2001/02, while he also has on the mantelpiece four Primera Liga championships (2000/01, 2001/02, 2004/05, 2005/06) and a European Champions' League championship (2003/04). On the international stage, Rivaldo was part of Brazil’s Confederations Cup winning squad, and was twice runners-up in the Copa America.

Juan Hernández (24 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C - 42(31) apps, 21 goals, 13 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.21): 6(11) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.53: Unfortunately, it appears that Juan Hernández’s career here at Cartagonova is decidedly going backwards. After a brilliant debut season following his transfer from Hércules, last season was slightly disappointing, although he still managed some good performances. But this season was alarming. He did not appear to have the same focus on his skills and determination to win games that he used to have, and unless we can remedy these problems, his poor performances will continue to grow. It would be a shame, too, because I genuinely think that Juan Hernández has the potential to become a great player for Cartagonova and participate for Spain on the international stage. But if he can’t get the attitude between the ears right, then there will not be much point continuing to work with him. Don’t get me wrong - I want to remedy the situation, but if he doesn’t want to, then there is nothing I can do about it.

Forwards

Alex Notman (29 y/o, SCO 29 caps, 17 goals, AM/F C - 178(6) apps, 120 goals, 50 assists, 49 MoMs, av. rating: 8.12): 52 apps, 36 goals, 13 assists, 18 MoMs, av. rating: 8.31: This was, by far, Alex Notman’s best season since he joined the club, and that is saying a lot, because he has had remarkable seasons in each of the 3½ seasons he has spent here at Cartagonova. He and José Manuel Redondo forged a brilliant partnership that had all opposition defences around Spain and Europe trembling whenever they took to the field. Thirteen of Alex’s 36 goals this season came in the European Champions' League, while another 22 were scored in the league. With the departure of Patrick Kluivert for the Netherlands, Alex has inherited the mantle as the most dangerous and predatory strikers to play in Spain at the current moment. It is almost too bad that he plays for Scotland rather than for Spain, because I’m convinced that he would be one of the best strikers in the history of the game to take part in a major international competition. He missed out on Euro 2008 because of Scotland’s failure to understand the rules of suspension, but that just played right into my hands, because I had a rested and motivated player ready to score goals plentifully. His rewards are multitude, with already three championship medals and an European Champions' League winners medal proudly on display in his lavish home. The fans love him, as he has been voted the Supporters’ Player of the Year twice in succession, and I wouldn’t bet against him to make it three seasons in a row. He is quite simply, the best player at the current moment in this club, and one of the best players going in the world, despite what FIFA might think (how could they not nominate him for FIFA World Player of the Year award with statistics like that? It defies logic!). I could go on and on about Alex, but I will restrain myself.

Ariel Carreño (30 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC - 24(23) apps, 17 goals, 7 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34): 4(7) apps, 3 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.09: When you’re third in the pecking order behind the two most dangerous strikers in the land, there is little you can do but watch and marvel at their talents. Unfortunately for Ariel, that is basically what he had to do all season, despite having a good season back in 2007/08. At 30 years of age, and with a Spanish international striker due to join the club in a few weeks, one cannot help but feel that Ariel’s time here to seize a regular first team place has passed him by, if he ever had an opportunity. Nevertheless, he is an excellent squad player who I will keep here at Cartagonova for as long as he wants to stay.

José Manuel Redondo (33 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, S C - 316(11) apps, 181 goals, 81 assists, 47 MoMs, av. rating: 7.77): 48 apps, 31 goals, 12 assists, 7 MoMs, av. rating: 7.67: It was a tremendous season from José Manuel Redondo, made all the more special by the fact that he is now well on the wrong side of 30 and only growing older. Such was his form this season that he earned a brief recall to the Spanish side, earning his fifth cap for his country. If he had played with a more recognised club during the hey-day of his career, he might have added quite a few more, such is his natural talent, but I’m glad that he is here at Cartagonova. I would have thought that I would need to be looking for replacements to partner Notman up front, but he was in such devastating form so consistently through the season that he had his most prolific year since joining the club - this is the first time he has cracked the thirty-goal barrier, and all the more power to him for such an achievement. Previously, José Manuel Redondo has tended to take a back seat while Notman has put away the goals, but this season, he really stepped up into the limelight and scored some beauties of his own. It has always been a joy watching Redondo play the game, and he has an outstanding record for the club. Behind Iván Vidal, he is the player with the most appearances for the club, and his experience and maturity will be undoubtedly valuable next season as I look to bring players like Cherno Samba along. He is a bit special, this boy.

Cherno Samba (23 y/o, ENG, S C - 5(8) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.92): 5(8) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.92: Paying Roma £4 million for what is essentially an untested player might appear to some to be a gamble, and I guess that in a way it is a gamble. He has been a professional footballer since 2000/01, but has failed really to make an impact at any of the three previous clubs - Millwall, Aston Villa, and Roma - that he has played for, and I’m sure that the Roma board feel that they have done a good deal in selling him to me for such a price. But I’ve worked with the lad for half a season now, and watched him play in full competitive fixtures, and I detect more than a hint of talent about him. He is powerful in the air and knows instinctively the best time to attack the ball both on the ground and in the air. He packs a powerful shot, and has a touch of flair about him that reminds me of Fernando Morán, who also did not have the skills of some but was able to use what he had to great effect both personally and for the club. Cherno should have a bright future here at Cartagonova.

Now that we’ve looked at each player in the squad, here is the raw statistics for you to ponder at:

No Name Apps Gls Con Pens Asts Yel Red MoM Av R

23 Bagnacani, Davide 4 (1) 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 7.20

17 Bubb, Byron 11 (6) 1 0 0 1 3 0 0 6.59

12 Cabrera, César 34 (4) 0 0 0 7 3 0 0 6.79

19 Carreño, Ariel 4 (7) 3 0 0 1 0 0 1 7.09

2 César 42 (2) 1 0 0 7 3 0 0 6.86

10 Clegg, George 50 (2) 17 0 0 13 7 0 4 7.65

- Diawara, Djibril 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

30 Djordjic, Bojan 24 (2) 2 0 0 3 4 0 0 7.12

7 Garrido, Jaime 25 (3) 5 0 0 7 0 0 1 7.50

6 Gavião 36 (2) 5 0 2 (2) 6 10 0 1 7.39

4 Gershon, Shimon 45 0 0 0 2 5 0 1 7.09

32 Gillet, Jean-François 2 0 6 0 0 0 0 0 5.00

34 Hernández, Juan 6 (11) 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.53

1 Iván Vidal 52 0 44 0 0 0 1 3 7.35

27 Jesús 2 (1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5.67

22 Keità, Moustapha 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

25 Krantz, Elias 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ----

3 Lacruz, José María 18 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.61

13 Lasa, José Manuel 15 (3) 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 7.11

33 Mason, Gary 1 (1) 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 7.50

11 Michel 17 (2) 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 6.79

16 Muslimovic, Zlatan 23 (7) 5 0 0 4 3 0 1 7.10

18 Notman, Alex 52 36 0 0 13 2 0 18 8.31

29 Otfors-Palmqvist, Ola 2 (2) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 6.25

35 Owen, Andy 0 (4) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.75

14 Palomino 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 9.00

9 Redondo, José Manuel 48 31 0 8 (8) 12 1 0 7 7.67

31 Rivaldo 0 (1) 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 8.00

21 Rønning, Per Vener 29 (5) 1 0 0 2 1 0 0 6.88

24 Salas, Ramón 1(1) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.00

28 Samba, Cherno 5 (8) 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 6.92

5 Smith, Martin 46 0 0 0 4 9 2 2 6.85

8 Tanem, Kristian 23 (4) 3 0 0 5 4 1 3 7.56

15 Thuram, Lilian 4 (2) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6.50

20 Wingård, Axel 13 (3) 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 6.94

</pre>

Here are the fixtures:

Date Opposition Ven Competition Res Attend Scorers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.8.08 Ternana ITA A Friendly 1:1 6178 Otfors-Palmqvist

5.8.08 Monza ITA A Friendly 4:1 3959 Ameobi, Edú 2, Carreño

8.8.08 Lazio ITA A Friendly 2:1 35162 Muslimovic, Ameobi

10.8.08 Linense H Friendly 3:0 1892 Rønning, J.Garrido, Tanem

12.8.08 Luis Angel Firpo SLV H F1 Cup IV Semi Final 3:1 4141 Jesús, Bubb 2

13.8.08 Bari ITA H F1 Cup IV Final 3:1 5899 Rivaldo, Gavião, Hernández

17.8.08 Celta A Super Cup Leg 1 0:2 28826

24.8.08 Celta H Super Cup Leg 2 1:1 20034 Notman

9.9.08 Celtic SCO H Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp D 3:0 19810 Redondo 2 (1 pen), Notman

14.9.08 Elche H First Division 1:1 23439 Martín Rivas og

17.9.08 PAO GRE A Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp D 3:0 25497 Redondo 2 (1 pen), Notman

21.9.08 Osasuna A First Division 1:1 16157 Bubb

24.9.08 Anderlecht BEL H Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp D 3:1 23487 Redondo 2 pens, Notman

28.9.08 Athletic Bilbao H First Division 1:0 21821 Notman

1.10.08 Betis A First Division 3:0 46048 Redondo 2 (1 pen), Michel

14.10.08 Anderlecht BEL A Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp D 3:2 28035 Notman 2, Redondo

18.10.08 Real Madrid H First Division 1:0 21830 Gavião

22.10.08 Celtic SCO A Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp D 2:1 57649 Notman, Redondo

26.10.08 Zaragoza A First Division 5:2 23848 Redondo 3, Notman, Clegg

1.11.08 Deportivo H First Division 1:1 24470 Notman

4.11.08 PAO GRE H Champions Cup Ph.1 Grp D 3:0 23165 Clegg, Notman 2

9.11.08 Valencia H First Division 1:1 21794 Clegg

15.11.08 Sporting Gijón A First Division 1:2 23538 J.Garrido

18.11.08 Porto POR H Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp B 2:0 19802 Garrido, Redondo

23.11.08 Numancia H First Division 2:0 21028 Tanem, Notman

29.11.08 Alavés A First Division 3:0 16152 Redondo, Clegg, Notman

3.12.08 Galatasaray TUR A Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp B 2:1 37453 Redondo, Clegg

7.12.08 Racing Santander H First Division 2:0 21807 Notman, Rønning

14.12.08 Real Sociedad A First Division 2:3 28637 Redondo, Carreño

21.12.08 Barcelona H First Division 1:1 21814 César

28.12.08 Atlético Madrid A First Division 2:0 49139 Clegg, Notman

31.12.08 Real Madrid A Spanish Cup 2nd Rnd 0:2 35495

4.1.09 Mallorca H First Division 1:0 22148 Samba

10.1.09 Villarreal A First Division 4:1 20217 Redondo 2, Clegg, Garrido

18.1.09 Celta H First Division 3:2 22943 Gavião, J.Redondo, Garrido

25.1.09 Betis H First Division 1:1 21809 Gavião

28.1.09 Espanyol A First Division 2:0 32503 Djordjic, Muslimovic

1.2.09 Elche A First Division 3:2 26939 Notman 2, Samba

8.2.09 Osasuna H First Division 2:0 22079 Muslimovic, Notman

11.2.09 Dinamo HRV H Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp B 2:1 23505 Muslimovic, Tanem

14.2.09 Athletic Bilbao A First Division 3:0 35449 Clegg, Gavião pen, Muslimovic

17.2.09 Dinamo HRV A Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp B 1:0 37983 Clegg

22.2.09 Espanyol H First Division 1:0 23010 Clegg

28.2.09 Real Madrid A First Division 3:1 65107 Notman 2, Clegg

4.3.09 Porto POR A Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp B 0:2 44237

7.3.09 Zaragoza H First Division 1:0 22710 Redondo pen

10.3.09 Galatasaray TUR H Champions Cup Ph.2 Grp B 3:2 19813 Redondo 2, Notman

15.3.09 Deportivo A First Division 1:2 35451 Notman

1.4.09 Bayern München GER H Champions Cup Qtr Final Leg 1 3:2 19802 Redondo 2 pens, Hernández

5.4.09 Sporting Gijón H First Division 2:0 22263 Redondo, Clegg

8.4.09 Valencia A First Division 5:4 51103 Notman 2, Redondo 2, Clegg

12.4.09 Numancia A First Division 1:1 11329 Clegg

15.4.09 Bayern München GER A Champions Cup Qtr Final Leg 2 4:0 62494 Gavião pen, Notman, Carreño 2

19.4.09 Alavés H First Division 1:1 21557 Clegg

26.4.09 Racing Santander A First Division 3:4 10092 Redondo, Djordjic, Tanem

29.4.09 Ajax HOL H Champions Cup Semi Final Leg 1 3:0 19816 Notman 2, Muslimovic

2.5.09 Real Sociedad H First Division 2:1 22424 Redondo, Notman

6.5.09 Ajax HOL A Champions Cup Semi Final Leg 2 4:1 46870 Notman, Redondo, Clegg 2

10.5.09 Barcelona A First Division 2:0 96625 Notman 2

17.5.09 Atlético Madrid H First Division 1:1 24526 Garrido

20.5.09 Porto POR N Champions Cup Final 0:1 40682

24.5.09 Mallorca A First Division 2:1 21712 Notman 2

31.5.09 Villarreal H First Division 2:1 21390 Notman 2

7.6.09 Celta A First Division 1:0 28490 Mason

</pre>

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by abu645:

great story mate, congrats on winning three in a row.

will you be only the second team after real to win 5 in a row?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, abu645! icon_smile.gif

That would be a good benchmark to set, wouldn't it? icon_biggrin.gif But it is a far way off at the moment. After all, you really only take things one day at a time! icon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

We'll just have to see how we go!

Cheers,

Dixie

Some more from down the south of Spain!

We are awarded £5 million by the Spanish FA for winning the championship.

Looking around the other major European leagues, we stop first in England where Sheffield United led the league for 22 games straight to win the championship comfortably by five points from Liverpool, with Watford finishing a further five points behind. Arsenal finished fourth, eleven points behind Sheffield United, and a point ahead of Manchester United, Charlton and Chelsea. At the other end, Norwich, Queens Park Rangers and Middlesbrough are relegated, to be replaced by Swansea, Notts County and Stoke. In Italy, Roma claims its seventh Scudetto by three points from AC Milan, and eight points clear of Fiorentina. Of the big clubs, Inter Milan finished a disappointing ninth, but Juventus really suffered this season, ending it in twelfth position, just nine points off the relegation zone. Relegated are Palermo, Cosenza, Atalanta and Empoli. Coming the other way are Hellas Verona, Lecce, Foggia and Crotone, who defeated Fidelis Andria in a play-off. In Portugal, the Portuguese FA awarded the championship controversially to Porto as they finished level on points with Benfica, but with an inferior goal difference and win-loss record, although they claimed a win and a draw from the two league games from their major rivals. Salgueiros finished third, just a point behind both clubs, while Sporting Lisbon came a disappointing fourth, five points behind the champion. Estoril, Marítimo, and Boavista are all relegated, to be replaced by Espinho, Braga and Leiria.

10th of June 2009

Glasgow Rangers and Lyon make bids of £5.25 million for Kristian Tanem. I want something like £9.5 million + £1.5 million after ten internationals and 10% sell-on clause.

11th of June 2009

Real Betis makes an offer of £2.9 million over 18 months + £1.1 million after twenty league matches. If they could pay the money over 12 months, I think I’m inclined to allow them to speak to the player, because I don’t think I can retrieve the situation, and I don’t want him to go to a rival like Barcelona or Real Madrid.

12th of June 2009

Rangers and Lyon both give up on Tanem for the time being.

Edgar Davids rejects a move to Cartagonova.

13th of June 2009

Lyon offers £2.5 million for Gavião and £5 million for Kristian Tanem. I reject the first offer and demand £7.5 million now plus £1.5 million after twenty internationals for the Norwegian.

With great reluctance, I accept Real Betis’ offer for Gavião. I fear that it is the passing of an era, although I do make a fight of it, by offering the Spanish international midfielder a new contract.

14th of June 2009

Numancia makes a surprising offer of £6.25 million over 18 months plus £2.4 million after twenty league games for Per Vener Rønning. Unfortunately for my counterpart at Numancia, I don’t find the offer compelling, as I reject the offer, much to the chagrin of the player himself (why he would want to play for Numancia is beyond me, despite their good season last time out).

15th of June 2009

The newspapers have caught wind of something regarding Gavião’s future, and they report this morning that the Spanish international midfielder is moving to Real Betis for £5.5 million. I make no comment, and the silence from my office is no doubt deafening.

In the meantime, Lyon again give up on Tanem.

16th of June 2009

Lyon returns with an offer of £7.5 million for Tanem. I demand £8.5 million for him.

Real Betis offer me £3.6 million for César over 18 months. I decline the offer.

16th of June 2009

“… There is big news out of Cartagena this evening as a short statement released by Spanish champion Cartagonova confirmed one of the worst-kept secrets in the league. Spanish international midfielder Gavião will move to Real Betis in two days’ time for an undisclosed fee, but estimated in the £4 million range. Gavião was signed on a free transfer by Cartagonova manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, after he was released by Grêmio back in 2004/05, and was immediately effective as an anchor midfielder. After he was naturalised as a Spaniard, Señor Flatline immediately picked him for the Spanish side, and he has played 19 games for his country, scoring four goals in the process. Real Betis signed the player ahead of interest from clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid, with Señor Flatline determined not to let the influential midfielder go to a rival club…â€

It is a sad moment for the club, because Gavião has been a great influence upon our success of the last three seasons, but no one man is bigger than the club he plays for. So, to avoid Gavião going to a ‘bigger’ club in a season for free and to ensure to some extent harmony amongst the squad, I decided that it was better that he go now than in a year’s time for free.

The first round of awards is handed out tonight. Emanuele Calaiò takes out the European Footballer of the Year award ahead of Cartagonova’s Alex Notman and José Manuel Redondo. Iván Vidal is named European Goalkeeper of the Year, holding off tough competition from César Laínez and Nuno Salgueiro. Roma’s central defender Maurizio Lanzaro is named European Defender of the Year, with Per Vener Rønning and Shimon Gershon second and third respectively. Alex Notman is named European Midfielder of the Year (despite playing every game as a striker), with George Clegg and Roma’s Vicente coming second and third respectively. Emanuele Calaiò adds the European Striker of the Year award to his collection, with José Manuel Redondo and Patrick Kluivert second and third.

For the third season in succession, I am named Spain’s Manager of the Year, with my great rival Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer second and Real Madrid’s Señor César García García third (which is a big surprise, since Real Madrid was very disappointing this season). Alex Notman is Spain’s most prolific striker of the season, ahead of Atlético Madrid’s Sene Djaló and Deportivo La Coruña’s Ignacio Morán.

For the second time in three seasons, Iván Vidal is Spain’s goalkeeper of the year, ahead of César Laínez and Mattias Asper of Celta Vigo. With Patrick Kluivert no longer playing in Spain, the judges had to look elsewhere for Spanish Player of the Year, and really there was only one candidate - Alex Notman is the winner, with Ignacio Morán and Numancia’s Óscar.

17th of June 2009

Offers from Real Madrid and Real Betis for Iván Vidal and César are both rejected this morning.

18th of June 2009

PSV Eindhoven weighs into the chase for Kristian Tanem, offering me £8.5 million for the Norwegian. I bump the price up to £9.5 million.

Real Betis offers me £3 million for Cabrera and £2.5 million for Iván Vidal, both over 18 months. Needless to say, I reject both bids.

The transfer window is opened again for another summer, so we bid farewell to Gavião, who leaves for Real Betis and a new career today: Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 4 goals, DM C): 183(7) apps, 30 goals, 37 assists, 14 MoMs, av. rating: 7.41.

Real Madrid signs Pedro Adrián Guede from Elche on a free transfer, and Walter Samuel from Roma for £11 million. They then splash a lot of cash on bringing English international attacking midfielder Joe Cole from AC Milan to the Spanish capital for £38.5 million. Francesco Totti returns to Real Madrid from Fiorentina for £7.5 million, while Jukka Hakala joins from Barcelona on a free transfer.

Chilean defender Claudio Andrés Maldonado transfers from Real Betis to Barcelona for £7.25 million plus another £1.5 million after fifty league games. Veteran forward Amoroso joins from Parma on a free transfer.

Claudio López joins Cartagonova on a free transfer from Juventus. I complete the signing of striker Sabino from Real Madrid today, too.

Elche loses its second striker Nano to Celta Vigo on a free transfer. But Celta Vigo’s experienced, talented goalkeeper Mattias Asper goes to Rayo Vallecano on a free transfer.

Polish keeper Zbigniew Malkowski leaves Feyenoord for Atlético Madrid on a Bosman free transfer.

Extremadura signs Moustapha Keità from Cartagonova on a Bosman free transfer: Moustapha Keità (29 y/o, FRA, D/DM C): 5(1) apps, av. rating: 6.33.

Valencia strengthens its squad by signing veteran Mexican international Miguel Angel Zapada from Málaga on a free transfer.

Ramón Salas returns from his loan spell with Logroñés, playing 24 times, scoring three goals and making eight more, for an average rating of 7.04.

19th of June 2009

Elias Krantz returns to the club from his loan spell with Nástic. He played 24 times, scored eleven goals, made seven more, and was adjudged best on the ground three times, for an average rating of 7.96.

20th of June 2009

Valencia offers me £9.5 million for Kristian Tanem, while PSV Eindhoven return with the same figure as their final offer. This has put me in somewhat of a quandary. I would love to push the boundaries even further for Tanem, but I get the feeling that this is the limit that clubs will pay for the Norwegian. So, I decide that I will accept PSV’s offer (which means that I don’t have to face him in the Spanish league), and ask Valencia to pay more.

Valencia also offers me £3.5 million for Cabrera, but he is not for sale, as I communicate to my counterpart Señor Frank Rijkaard.

In the evening’s annual gala event, Alex Notman is voted the Supporters’ Player of the Year for the third successive season. Then the exalted chairman, Señor Florentino Manzano, takes the podium to announce that he has authorised the installation of undersoil heating in the pitch. That’s wonderful. That’s great. We’ve never, ever been affected by a frozen pitch in the nine seasons I’ve managed Cartagonova! icon_mad.gif We have sub-standard training facilities, and the chairman believes that our problems can be solved by installing a heating system! icon_mad.gif I bite back the hot words for a more private meeting with my chairman and graciously thank him for such faith in the club’s future. icon_wink.gif

After the event, I’m approached by Zetti, one of my Brazilian battery of coaches, who informs me that he has been approached by Lleida to take up a position as assistant manager. Apparently, we’ll be due £40,000 if Zetti breaks his contract, but I would rather have him here than have to look for a new coach to replace him, so I make him a new offer.

21st of June 2009

I wake up as usual and go down to the deserted stadium to check out what’s happening and to begin preparing for the new season. To my astonishment, I find that the chairman has been busy - not only has the under-soil heating been installed, but there are workmen swarming around the training facilities busy transforming it from an abysmal set of facilities to one of the best in the league. I’m very happy about that!

In the evening, I am driven out by the chairman’s limousine to have dinner with my boss at his lavish villa in the hills overlooking the club’s brand spanking new facilities.

After a very pleasant meal shared with my chairman, my partner and a few other very exclusively invited guests, Señor Manzano and I retire to his study to discuss the plans for the upcoming season. Señor Manzano gets right to it, telling me that the club’s investors and supporters expect the title, and nothing less this season. Of course, winning it three times in a row breeds a certain expectation, and I suppose that now it is quite reasonable to expect that the squad and I will deliver more success this season. Now that we have much improved facilities, I feel more comfortable being able to promise that we will deliver.

Incidentally, this marks the beginning of my tenth season in charge of Cartagonova, and it certainly is a world away from where we began all those years ago. Cartagonova now boasts a space-age set of facilities training and a great stadium, with excellent players to put out on the pitch when the time comes. Ten years ago, we had no money and very few capable of players. Yet, somehow, we managed to drag ourselves out of the basement of league football to become champions of Spain and even Europe in the last three seasons. It is a remarkable transformation, and Señor Manzano and I take a few moments to reflect upon how far the club has come.

22nd of June 2009

Valencia gives up on Kristian Tanem.

In the afternoon, Zetti informs me that he has rejected Cartagonova’s new contract in favour of signing on with Lleida as assistant manager.

The fixture list is released in the evening. We begin our title defence by hosting Osasuna on 23rd of August 2009, then visiting Sporting Gijón a week later, before returning a fortnight later to host Real Vallodolid.

Spain will be represented in the European Champions' League by Barcelona, Cartagonova, Numancia and Real Sociedad. Real Betis, Elche and Espanyol will participate in the UEFA Cup, while Celta Vigo and Deportivo la Coruña have the chance to reach the major European competition via the Inter-Toto Cup.

24th of June 2009

“… Cartagonova is set to enrich its bank balance by the tune of approximately £9.5 million after PSV Eindhoven announced this evening that it had agreed terms with Norwegian captain Kristian Tanem. The Norwegian was signed by Señor Dixie Flatline on a Bosman free transfer in time to start the 2007/08 season, but he never really commanded a first team place in Señor Flatline’s squads, having had to fight Spanish international Gavião for the important anchor midfielder role. Nevertheless, the addition of Tanem to PSV’s squad shall strengthen it in time for the European Champions' League to resume in a couple of months…â€

We make a big profit on the sale of Tanem, but I’m sorry to see a man of such talent, whom I had spent so long in chasing, leave after only two seasons. He really could have been a big star here at the club, but I suppose there was an element of misfortune in the fact that he happened to be here at the same time as Gavião, who was of course the best defensive midfielder I’ve ever worked with. No both players have left the club, and there is a big void to fill before the season begins. I’m not entirely sure whether the players here - Gary Mason, Andy Owen and Jesús - are the players to do it.

25th of June 2009

St-Etienne wastes its time offering me £5 million for César. Then I realise, to my horror, that the bid matches his minimum release clause and I have no choice but to accept it. I immediately set about offering him a new contract, but I get the feeling that César wants to move on.

In the meantime, Kristian Tanem formally ends his employment with Cartagonova: Kristian Tanem (26 y/o, NOR 35 caps, 18 goals, DM/F C): 47(15) apps, 7 goals, 14 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.36.

César remains a Cartagonova player for a little while longer at least after St-Etienne informs me that they could not agree personal terms with the Spanish international full-back.

27th of June 2009

Finally, Djibril Diawara leaves the club on a Bosman free transfer: Djibril Diawara (34 y/o, SEN 20 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC): 9(4) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 7.08).

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jayjayjenas123:

First things first congrats on winning the league, unlucky in the cl. I hope this continues into the 2010's maybe 2020's.

Now fro my question where is the 2010 world cup being held<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much jayjayjenas123! icon_smile.gif I hope it also continues for a long time to come! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll have to get back to you about the 2010 World Cup. I can't remember exactly. I think it is in Europe, but I honestly can't recall.

Cheers,

Dixie

Archived