How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leto.:

What an epic! This almost deserves to be made sticky as an example of the perfect CM story icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much Leto.! icon_smile.gif I'm glad you think so highly of it! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jingle Balls:

OMG!!

A story longer than Raptors icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine's spread out over 2 threads icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Dixie's is older though, and at least as good. icon_cool.gif

Sadly, I have lost track a while ago, but I can see it's still great. Keep up the good work Dixie icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maollelujah:

Mr. Raptor isn't Dixie's spread over 4 threads?

It would really be the best story on the board, if it wasn't for a certain Stevie O'Mao carrying someone's Belfast epic. icon_razz.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't want to bore you with the statistics, but mine's bigger page-wise.

Quantity <> Quality though icon_frown.gif

Thank you to everybody who has read the Cartagonova odyssey recently. I've followed the debate between Raptor and everybody else about the true length of our respective stories, and I thought for a moment of actually trying to find out the length of the entire Cartagonova story from Segunda Liga B to Primera Liga, but I can't be bothered, and I don't think it matters too much! icon_smile.gif

As I've said before, I hope everybody continues to enjoy the story! icon_biggrin.gif And I thank everybody for their positive comments! icon_smile.gif If it warrants it, keep 'em coming! icon_cool.gif

Dixie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dixie Flatline:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jayjayjenas123:

First things first congrats on winning the league, unlucky in the cl. I hope this continues into the 2010's maybe 2020's.

Now fro my question where is the 2010 world cup being held<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much jayjayjenas123! icon_smile.gif I hope it also continues for a long time to come! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll have to get back to you about the 2010 World Cup. I can't remember exactly. I think it is in Europe, but I honestly can't recall.

Cheers,

Dixie<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've checked - it will be in Argentina.

The Cartagonova odyssey continues!

28th of June 2009

Watford offers £2.2 million for Byron Bubb. I want another £500,000.

There are newspaper reports this morning that suggest that Per Vener Rønning will move to Real Madrid for £4.9 million. Not if I have anything to do with it.

29th of June 2009

Atlético Madrid makes a bid of £3 million for Byron Bubb over six months. I accept the bid.

30th of June 2009

As Watford gives up on Bubb, Liverpool joins the chase, offering £2.7 million.

1st of July 2009

“… Occasional Spanish international midfielder Mista has finally left Deportivo la Coruña for Udinese on a Bosman free transfer today…â€

AC Milan signs South African international midfielder Bamuza Sono for £10.5 million from Torino. Udinese also signs José Mari from Nantes for £10.75 million. Venezia’s Simone D’Apice leaves for Inter Milan in return for £13.75 million.

“… Spanish international captain, the veteran Raúl, joins AC Milan in a move worth £9.5 million from Paris-Saint-Germain.â€

Borussia Dortmund signs Derek Boateg from Spartak Moskva for £14 million. Former Cartagonova striker, Niels Kokmeijer, joins 1860 München from FC Schalke for £14 million, with a further £5.25 million after twenty league matches.

Johnnier Montaño leaves Parma for Lazio for £16.5 million. Theo Janssen will showcase his talents on the big stage after AC Milan signs him from Ajax Amsterdam for £24.5 million.

I sign coach Josip Visnjic from Argentine club Instituto to replace Zetti.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

Enjoyed the GP then Dixie?

Bit selfish by Jacques, but nice way of showing who's #1 at BAR icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I certainly did, Raptor! icon_smile.gif Managed to score corporate box tickets through my girlfriend for Saturday qualifying. and we were sitting on turn 1, so we had a great view of the cars braking for the turn and also coming out of pitlane. So apart from the four rolls of film I managed to chew through, I also managed to get Mark Webber's autograph on his photograph in the official program (not bad work, I must admit!) and also a couple of photographs of Sir Jack Brabham looking angrily at his Repco Brabham after he had stalled it trying to drive through the crowd outside the historic garage where the cars from the 1960s F1 championship were located. Top stuff! icon_smile.gif

As for the GP itself, I enjoyed it by and large, although clearly Coulthard was lucky to inherit the win after Montoya spun off, Raikkonen was penalised for going through the pitlane too quickly and Schumacher damaged his own car. I can't think that even Villeneuve, despite his own self-absorption, would be so selfish to say to himself, 'right, I'm going to sew that Button right up by driving into the pits on the lap he is meant to come in and park myself there to delay him and deny him a chance of getting points'. And if I'm wrong, even better - I haven't been able to stand Button before he joined BAR and nothing has changed! icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

Unfortunately, we had the local boys commentate the F1 GP so I missed out on James Allen and Martin Brundle on the weekend - Channel 10 picked up the coverage of the season after Channel 9 relinquished its 20 year association with the sport. The local boys were nowhere near as good as Allen and Brundle but I fear that I'm going to have to put up with them for the whole season. That was the only real drag on the weekend.

Cheers,

Dixie

• 1 month later...

I'm back! Have you missed me?!

Very sorry for the long delay between posts. I've recently moved house then spent some time away on business. In the meantime, my ISP account has lapsed and I haven't been able to renew it just yet - it's on the list of things to do! icon_smile.gif In the meantime, I'm taking some moments out of my work day to bring you all up to speed with the exciting adventures of Cartagonova!

So away we go! icon_biggrin.gif

2nd of July 2009

Real Vallodolid starts my day with a £2.7 million offer for Axel Wingård. But it is payable over 18 months, and I couldn’t accept a deal like that at all.

Real Betis offers £4.3 million over six months for César Cabrera. I make it payable now, and £5 million.

Atlético Madrid bids £1.6 million for Jesús. I reject the offer.

English newspapers link Byron Bubb with a £2.4 million move to Tottenham Hotspurs, the club I signed him from this time last year. I make no comment about the story.

I then proceed to accept an offer of £3 million for the English midfielder from Liverpool.

3rd of July 2009

Byron Bubb accepts Liverpool’s terms and will leave for his new club this afternoon: Byron Bubb (27 y/o, ENG 3 caps, 1 goal, AM RC): 11(6) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.59.

4th of July 2009

Real Betis gives up on Cabrera.

It is announced that we will play Real Sociedad in the Spanish Super Cup, with the first leg to be played away from home on the 23rd of August 2009. This means that a couple of fixtures are re-arranged, with our first league match not taking place now until the 13th of September 2009 against Real Vallodolid at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena.

Sevilla makes an offer of £1.9 million for Jesús, over 18 months. I can’t accept that.

6th of July 2009

I’m shocked to read in the morning’s newspaper that Martin Smith wants to move to Numancia for £2.9 million. This is going to cause shockwaves all through the club, even to the board level, as they have been on my back about selling him because they think he doesn’t belong at this club. Now I’m beginning to agree with them, just as I dictate a press release to my secretary to the effect that he is not for sale at any price to any club. Then I have my secretary schedule an appointment with the Danish defender to explain the way of things here at this club.

AC Milan continues its big summer spending spree, paying Real Madrid £15.25 million for Uruguayan defender Grillito.

In the meantime, AS Roma appoints Celta Vigo manager Signor Víctor Fernández to replace the retired Fabio Capello.

8th of July 2009

Hércules offers me £2.7 million over 18 months for Jesús. I want £3 million over 12 months.

9th of July 2009

Deportivo La Coruña offers me £6.25 million for Jaime Garrido. Not in a million years.

César’s agent makes mischief for me in the media this morning, as he tells the Italian football press that his client will soon join Parma for £5.75 million. It is reported elsewhere that Juventus, Deportivo La Coruña, Antalyaspor and Hércules will also make bids for the full-back. I angrily deny all reports that César might be leaving the club in the near future.

10th of July 2009

Real Betis offers to throw me £5 million for César over six months. I want £7.25 million over six months. In the meantime, Hércules agrees to pay Cartagonova £3 million for Jesús. I accept the offer.

11th of July 2009

Jesús agrees personal terms with Hércules and leaves the club in the evening: Jesús (28 y/o, ESP, M RC): 2(1) apps, av. rating: 5.67

Ghana is the latest country to qualify for World Cup 2010 in Argentina.

It appears that my search for a youthful Spanish goalkeeper is over as Señor Luis Sosa, my trustworthy assistant manager, promotes Jesús Martínez to the first team. At 17 years of age, he already looks like he could hold his own in the first team. Looking at him at training this evening, I can see that he possesses plenty of pace, and has acceleration to burn, while he is aggressive and agile. On the spot, I invite him and his newly appointed agent into my office to negotiate a full-time contract.

12th of July 2009

As I wake up, I can hear the phone ringing. Racing out of the bedroom to pick up, I am bid a good morning by the manager of Parma, Signor Alberto Malesani. He follows up his greeting with a verbal offer of £5 million over six months for César. I ask him to wait until the offer is confirmed in writing, and it soon comes over the fax machine. I wait half an hour or so, to fool my counterpart into thinking that I’m seriously considering this offer, then respond with my terms - £7.5 million over six months plus £1.5 million over ten international appearances.

Simultaneously, I receive an email from my colleague at Real Betis, declining to follow up their interest in the full-back.

13th of July 2009

I unveil Cartagonova’s 127th player signed under my stewardship when I show off Ricardo Verón, for whom I paid £1.5 million to Atlético Madrid. He has had a difficult time in Spain since joining Valencia from San Lorenzo back in 2004/05, being in and out of Valencia and Atlético Madrid’s first teams. He does have 14 international caps for his country, with two goals, under his belt, so there is no doubt that he has talent. I see him much in the mould as Gavião, although he possesses a little more pace than the naturalised Spaniard. He has an excellent eye for the pass while he is capable of holding his own when defending is required. I think that he and Gary Mason will have a good joust for that central midfield position.

Parma does not want to buy César for the terms I outlined.

14th of July 2009

Jesús Martínez signs his first professional contract of his career as he puts pen to paper on a three year contract for Cartagonova.

15th of July 2009

I am offered £2.5 million by Getafe for Elias Krantz over 18 months. The offer is, of course, completely unacceptable.

More qualifiers for World Cup 2010 include Algeria, Ivory Coast and Guinea.

17th of July 2009

Just a season after selling him back to me, Real Vallodolid want to sign Axel Wingård for £3.3 million, albeit payable over 18 months. Such an offer is unacceptable.

18th of July 2009

Juventus makes an offer of £5 million payable immediately for César. As that meets his minimum release clause amount, I’m forced to accept it.

In the evening, I’m requested by FIFA to name Spain’s 22-man squad for the Confederations Cup kicking off in a fortnight. After some hard thinking (or is that drinking? icon_wink.gif ), I name the following lucky players:

Goalkeepers

César Laínez (32 y/o, ESP 20 caps, GK): Barcelona

Iker Casillas (28 y/o, ESP 7 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 4 caps, GK): Cartagonova

Defenders

César Cabrera (24 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D RL): Cartagonova

César (29 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Cartagonova

David Oliva (23 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D RL): Deportivo La Coruña

Borja (31 y/o, ESP 31 caps, D LC): Valencia

Iván Amaya (30 y/o, ESP 56 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (31 y/o, ESP 51 caps, 1 goal, D C): Barcelona

Carlos Marchena (29 y/o, ESP 23 caps, D C): Celta Vigo

Midfielders

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 4 goals, DM C): Real Betis

José de la Rosa (22 y/o, ESP 3 caps, D/DM C): Barcelona

Diego (30 y/o, ESP 21 caps, 4 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Jaime Garrido (25 y/o, ESP 16 caps, 9 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (24 y/o, ESP 15 caps, 4 goals, AM/F RC): Espanyol

José Antonio Reyes (25 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM L): Real Betis

Vicente (28 y/o, ESP 74 caps, 27 goals, AM/F LC): Roma

Forwards

Raúl (32 y/o, ESP 115 caps, 56 goals, AM/F LC): AC Milan

Ignacio Morán (22 y/o, ESP 1 cap, F LC): Deportivo La Coruña

Diego Ribera (32 y/o, ESP 17 caps, 7 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (29 y/o, ESP 16 caps, 6 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 7 caps, 3 goals, S C): Cartagonova

That means that there are five Cartagonova players going to the Confederations Cup to represent Spain. Three Barcelona and three Deportivo players are also making the trip. Two Real Betis players are also going, while the remainder are drawn from Espanyol, AC Milan, Racing Santander, Real Madrid, Real Sociedad, Roma and Valencia.

I noticed while deciding on my squad that Gerard is back to full fitness, but since he hasn’t played in months, at this stage he would be the 23rd player in Spain’s squad, and unfortunately, only 22 players are allowed on this plane. But he should be back for Spain’s next World Cup qualifier.

“… Just two seasons after paying Ajax Amsterdam £17.25 million to bring him back to Catalan country, Barcelona has released veteran Brazilian striker Ronaldo on a free transfer. The likes of Cartagonova are expected to lead the charge to sign the still-prolific striker, with Señor Dixie Flatline known to be an unabashed admirer of the Brazilian’s still prodigious talents…â€

22nd of July 2009

Sporting Gijón offers £4 million over 18 months for Axel Wingård. I demand that they pay it all immediately.

Barcelona continues to clear out the dead wood, releasing Amoroso this morning. Their first team’s average age is now down to 28.00.

23rd of July 2009

I’m interested to see Real Madrid offer me £4 million for Wingård this morning without blinking an eyelid. I immediately up his value to £5 million plus another £1 million over 10 league games. An offer from Real Betis worth a paltry £5 million for Notman is crumpled up and thrown in the rubbish bin.

César is delighted to agree to the move to Juventus.

24th of July 2009

César completes his move: César (29 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 1 goal, D RL): 76(2) apps, 1 goal, 13 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.92.

25th of July 2009

I reject an offer from Hércules for César as being completely unacceptable.

Real Madrid declines the opportunity to continue pursuing Wingård.

26th of July 2009

Celta Vigo offers me £2 million for Gary Mason. I reject that bid.

I’m shocked to read on the Internet that Ariel Carreño wants to move to Montpellier in a move worth £6.25 million. I can understand that Ariel wants to play regular first team football, but I didn’t think that he would resort to such a tactic to make his feelings known. icon_frown.gif Needless to say, I deny that any such move is afoot.

27th of July 2009

Real Madrid and Sporting Gijón make offers of £4 million for Axel Wingård, although Sporting makes it over 18 months. I provide my terms and conditions for this transfer.

28th of July 2009

“… For the first time in its history, the World Cup will be held on the African continent as FIFA selects South Africa to host World Cup 2014…â€

On a radio interview, Axel Wingård’s agent claims that his client will soon move to Sporting Gijón for £8.5 million, while the anchor suggests that Real Madrid could also be in the frame to sign him. Sighing to myself, I decide not to make any comment this time.

After some time deliberating, I decide to transfer list Jean-François Gillet. I believe that Vidal and Bagnacani are the established two front-line keepers, and the emergence of Jesús Martínez from the youth academy provides me with a long-range keeper. Therefore, I don’t think I need Gillet any more, especially after his poor form last season. There is interest in the Belgian keeper from Gençlerbirligi and St-Etienne.

29th of July 2009

I begin the morning by fielding an offer from Villarreal worth £8.25 million for Jaime Garrido, split into £6 million over 18 months and £2.3 million over 20 league games. I cannot in good conscience accept a bid like that for the winger.

On the other hand, an offer of £1 million for Gillet from Gençlerbirligi over six months and an offer of £950,000 payable immediately from St-Etienne for the same player represent good value for the Belgian keeper. I accept both offers.

Sporting Gijón gives up for the time being on Wingård. So does Real Madrid.

In the evening, Gillet agrees terms with the Turkish club and will leave tomorrow: Jean-François Gillet (31 y/o, BEL 29 caps, GK): 7 apps, 12 conceded, av. rating: 6.86

1st of August 2009

Ivory Coast and Australia get the Confederations Cup underway with a 1-1 draw at Rotterdam’s De Kuip stadium. Bonaventure Kalou put Ivory Coast in front on 7 minutes, but Matthew Trim equalised for Australia on 56 minutes.

Confederations Cup - Group 2, Game 1: Mexico v Spain

We begin this game well as Cartagonova’s recruit Sabino heads home Zubizarreta’s pinpoint near-post cross on 18 minutes. A couple of minutes later, Marchena’s physical presence puts off Mendoza’s attempt at equalising. On 30 minutes, Sabino shoots Vicente’s flick-on over the bar, while on 41 minutes Mendoza misses another opportunity for Mexico to level the game. Telletxea finds a way past Amaya on 44 minutes, but fails to trouble César Laínez with his attempt at goal.

Four minutes into the second half, Telletxea slews his shot wide of the post, while on 53 minutes, Jaime Garrido should have done better than shoot into the crowd behind the goal. A moment later, Laínez pulls off a great save to deny Sanchez. On 55 minutes, Raúl leads by example through a great diving header from Sabino’s cross, but Sampedro manages to scramble across in time to save the shot. From the clearance, Cesareo Victorino dribbles the length of the field but unluckily smashes his drive against Laínez’s bar. I bring on Cabrera for César and de la Rosa for Gavião on 59 minutes, hoping that I can tighten the defence to hold on to what we have. De la Rosa responds by trying his luck on goal, but fails to put his header on target.

On 65 minutes, Raúl sets up Zubizarreta, but the Espanyol midfielder can’t make the opportunity count as Sampedra manages to save it. A moment later, Sanchez manages to sidestep Amaya’s lunging tackle without losing possession but Laínez preserves our lead. Three minutes later, Raúl creates a wonderful opportunity for himself as he nutmegs Davino and shoots from 25 yards, but Sampedro is playing wonderfully and we can’t extend our lead. Garrido takes possession of the loose ball and finds Sabino in the area, but the striker can’t beat Sampedro with the volley. On 71 minutes, Victorino manages to hit the post while on 73 minutes, Sampedro again saves from Raúl.

Then on 82 minutes, Mexico gets the opportunity to get its equaliser that it has threatened all game. Sanchez is through on goal, and Laínez races off his line to prevent the Mexican from scoring. But Sanchez, anticipating this, prepares the take the ball past the keeper, who clips him and sends him sprawling on the turf. Immediately the Mexicans appeal for a penalty and a red card. The referee grants the penalty and shows Laínez… the yellow card. The duly chastened keeper then proceeds to pick the ball out of the back of the net, thanks to Sanchez’s conversion. icon_frown.gif Borja has the last opportunity to win the game for either country, but a player who has not scored in 31 previous appearances for his country does not score in his 32nd and we finish this game level.

Mexico (5-3-2): Sampedro; Salcedo, Davino, Mascorro, Marquez ©, Arellano; Victorino, Mora (Carmona 36), Torrado (Sánchez Caballero 20); Mendoza, Telletxea (Sanchez 53).

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, César (Cabrera 59); Gavião (de la Rosa 59); Garrido, Zubizarreta; Vicente; Raúl ©, Sabino.

Final score: Mexico 1:1 Spain

MoM - Raúl

Due to yellow cards picked up during this game, I lose both my first choice full-backs Borja and César for our next game against the Ivory Coast.

2nd of August 2009

Portugal notches up the first win of the competition by downing host the Netherlands 1-0 at the Amsterdam Arena. César Lopes scored the winning goal on 56 minutes.

In the evening fixture from Rotterdam, Colombia defeats Iran 2-1. Colombia’s goals came within a minute of it each other at the end of the first half. Iran’s consolation goal came after 11 minutes of the second half.

3rd of August 2009

I’m dragged back to club matters for the start of the day as Celta Vigo offers me £2.4 million for Gary Mason. It is over 18 months and therefore completely unacceptable, even if I was prepared to let the Scottish midfielder go.

Sporting Gijón makes an offer of £4 million over 18 months for Axel Wingård. I demand terms of £4.5 million over six months, a 10% sell-on clause, £1 million after ten league games and another £1 million after ten internationals.

4th of August 2009

Portugal defeats Colombia 1-0 at the Amsterdam Arena with a goal to Jorge Ribeiro on 10 minutes.

Iran and the Netherlands draw 1-1 in the evening fixture in Rotterdam.

5th of August 2009

Hércules bids £875,000 over 18 months for long-serving veteran Michel. I like Michel very much, so nothing less than £1 million will persuade me to part with the winger.

Sevilla offers Enzo Francescoli the position of assistant manager. If the Uruguayan legend accepts the post, then we’re due £475,000. I don’t want to lose Francescoli, as he has been part of my staff from the very beginning, so I immediately authorise the club to make him a new contractual offer.

Sporting Gijón stump up with an offer worth £7 million for Wingård on the terms I outlined. I decide to accept the offer, knowing that the Swede likes to move clubs every season and that he will not be happy here if I turn down the offer. Anyway, the money offered is good, particularly if he manages to play ten internationals for Sweden before he leaves Sporting.

Confederations Cup - Group 2, Game 2: Spain v Ivory Coast

Many pundits predict the game to go Spain’s way as it is the best football-playing country in the world against the eleventh-best country. And we begin well, with Zubizarreta missing a tough chance with a half-volleyed shot on 2 minutes. On 11 minutes, Raúl demonstrates his rarely used heading skills but unfortunately hits the post from Vicente’s cross. On 27 minutes, we finally force the Ivory Coast keeper into making a save when Zubizarreta heads Raúl’s cross towards the top right corner, but the keeper comfortably saves. Some thirteen minutes later, Reyes creates another chance for Raúl, but the captain misses his headed shot. As we enter injury time at the end of the first half, Sabino pops up with a clever floating header from Gavião’s pass, but Puissesseau manages to scramble back in time to knock it away from his goal. We regain possession, but Raúl misses yet another opportunity when he volleys wide of the mark.

So, despite our territorial and attacking advantages, we enter the break all square, and I tell the boys in no uncertain terms (like they didn’t know it, anyway) that we need a goal to reward ourselves. We begin the second half well with Gavião and Zubizarreta exchanging passes before the Espanyol midfielder hits a ferocious strike that forces the best save of the match out of the Ivory Coast keeper. From the corner, Ivory Coast concede a throw-in, and Oliva makes it count, finding Vicente lurking at the edge of the area, and the Roma man thunders a drive past Puissesseau to give us our due reward. We are lucky not to give away a penalty when everybody but the referee sees that Marchena trips Desmars in the penalty area, saying that the Celta Vigo defender won the ball as he awards Ivory Coast a corner. After comfortably dealing with it, Cartagonova’s Sabino makes Puissesseau work some more with a looping header. On 68 minutes, everybody thinks that Raúl has doubled our lead with a spectacular bicycle kick from Sabino’s centre, but the linesman had raised his flag, much to our captain’s disgust. Unfortunately for a player with that much experience, Raúl should have known better to vent his spleen at the referee who sensationally shows my captain a red card. icon_mad.gif I replace the tiring Vicente with Morán and hope that we aren’t too unbalanced by the loss of a forward and the captain. In the end, apart from an 82nd minute opportunity spurned by Kalou, we hold on quite comfortably for the 1-0 win.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; Oliva, Amaya, Marchena, Cabrera; Reyes, Gavião, Zubizarreta; Vicente (Morán 69); Raúl © (s/o 68), Sabino.

Ivory Coast (5-3-2): Puissesseau; Eklu, Bonnart, Zoro ©, Aït-Alla, Scalia; Lachuer, Kalou, Dyduch; Desmars (Clavet 74), Kroupi.

Final score: Spain 1:0 Ivory Coast

MoM - Vicente

“… Gerard returns back to Barcelona after spending just one season with Fiorentina in a deal worth £14 million. Originally sold at the beginning of the 2008/09 season by Barcelona for £16.75 million, Gerard unfortunately broke his leg at the San Siro in a 2-1 victory over Inter Milan and missed five months of football. He has recently returned to full training but missed selection in Spain’s Confederations Cup squad which defeated Ivory Coast 1-0 this evening in Rotterdam. Barcelona missed Gerard’s influential playmaking abilities last season and hope that his return to the capital of the Catalans will assist the club in overtaking Cartagonova for the championship. And, no doubt, Gerard sees the return to Barcelona as a stepping stone towards reclaiming his place in the Spanish international squad…â€

South American international friendlies are played in the evening (Spanish time). Argentina prevailed in an exciting contest over Chile 4-3 in Buenos Aires. Brazil suffered a 2-0 loss at home to Uruguay. Paraguay and Bolivia shared the honours in a 2-2 draw, while Peru won 2-0 over Ecuador. In the other Group 2 game in the Confederations Cup, Mexico thrashes Australia 4-0 in Amsterdam. We play the demoralised Australians in two days’ time, and a point will confirm our passage into the semi-finals.

Cartagonova announces to the media that Martin Smith has signed a new four year contract with the club worth £4 million to the player. No doubt quite a few players will be unhappy to see him remain at the club, because they believe, somewhat unfairly, that he is a disruptive influence. However, I believe that the Danish international is a good, competent defender and there are very few available that are better. Although you can be sure that I’m exploring other options. icon_wink.gif

At the same time, I instruct the club to place Ariel Carreño on the transfer list after the player’s agent makes it clear to me that he will not sign a contract extension. His contract is about to expire this season, but we have not proceeded past first base in terms of negotiating a new contract. I will be sorry to see him leave, but I would prefer to see some money flow into the club should he go. Apparently Numancia are interested at £2.2 million.

6th of August 2009

It doesn’t take long for the offers to arrive at the club for Carreño. Celta Vigo leads off with a £3.1 million bid for the Argentine striker. Unfortunately, it is payable over 18 months. I therefore want £3.5 million over six months. Gençlerbirligi announces an offer of £2.4 million for him over six months. I want £3.5 million over 12 months plus a 10% sell-on clause.

After dealing with those offers, I am informed that Dutch defender Rob Lauret has agreed to join the club for the cost of £550,000. The 24 year old appeared four times for the Dutch Olympic team back in 2004, but staying at a small club like Willem II has limited his ability to improve himself. I think, however, that he is only a little way off becoming an accomplished first-team defender and I believe Cartagonova will benefit from having him in the future.

“… After just spending one season back at Cartagonova, Axel WingÃ¥rd has announced that he has agreed terms with Sporting Gijón…â€: Axel WingÃ¥rd (28 y/o, SWE 5 caps, D C): 30(5) apps, 1 goal, 4 assists, av. rating: 6.91.

In the meantime, the second of my two new defenders agrees to his move, as English centre half Anthony Loughran is delighted to agree terms with my club. Osasuna will be enriched to the tune of £950,000.

7th of August 2009

Numancia offers Cartagonova £5 million for Carreño, payable over 18 months. I accept the offer.

Confederations Cup - Group 2, Game 3: Spain v Australia

Although I don’t want to underestimate Australia, given that they are ranked seventh by FIFA in the world rankings, I believe that we should prevail no matter which eleven I put on the field. Therefore, with half an eye towards the semi-finals, I rest some key players, while Jaime Garrido proudly wears the captain’s armband. César Laínez, César, Cabrera, Carlos Marchena, Gavião, Zubizarreta, Vicente and Sabino are all left out of the first eleven, while Raúl serves his suspension.

As expected, we dominate the game, although Australia’s players do manage to fashion a couple of chances for themselves that tests Iván Vidal in goal, while I’m left to curse my porous defence that looks weakened without Marchena, César and Cabrera. But on 34 minutes, we take the lead when Jaime Garrido needs two bites of the cherry to put away Morán’s clever pass into the penalty box. On 51 minutes, Diego Ribera slaloms his way through Australia’s defence, using his speed, technique and strength to find a path through, before smashing a drive past Chris Culina.

But looking at the tape of the game afterwards, I’m disappointed to see that Australia had several good chances that but for Vidal’s good keeping, would have embarrassed us. That needs to be addressed before we face Portugal in the semi-final in two days’ time in Amsterdam.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Borja, Amaya, César, Oliva (César 58); Reyes, de la Rosa (Diego 58), Garrido ©; Morán; Llorente, Ribera.

Australia (4-4-2): Culina; Bresciano, Colosimo, Moore ©, McClenahan (Santalab 58); Zelic, Boranga (Anastasiadis 53), Maisano, Cervinski (Korner 77); Wilson, Trim.

Final score: Spain 2:0 Australia

MoM - Diego Ribera

After the match, I’m bitterly disappointed to hear that the Uruguayan legend, Enzo Francescoli, has agreed terms with Sevilla to become their assistant manager as opposed to continuing to be a respected coach here at Cartagonova. Even the inducement of an improved contract wasn’t enough to convince Francescoli that his future would be better served remaining at Spain’s champion club. He was my second signing after Trobiani, who is now a scout with Getafe after three ill-fated adventures as manager of Langreo, Gandía and Éibar.

Better news is that Bojan Djordjic has agreed to extend his contract by four years in a deal worth £6 million to the Swedish international midfielder.

8th of August 2009

Celta Vigo discontinues its interest in Carreño.

On the other hand, I accept an offer from Gençlerbirligi that matches the terms I named yesterday for the striker.

In the evening, Carreño announces via his agent to the media that he has agreed terms with Numancia. That means Cartagonova will receive £5 million, albeit over an extended period of time, for a forward who was never more than a squad player. Not bad business, I don’t think! icon_smile.gifAriel Carreño (30 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC): 24(23) apps, 17 goals, 7 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 7.34.

Real Betis certainly haven’t learned from the lessons of Celta Vigo and Cartagonova as they pay Schalke £12.75 million for Edú, with another £4.8 million to be paid after the Brazilian plays 20 league games.

Keep smiling icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

• 4 weeks later...

And, so, we continue the journey of Senor Flatline and his merry band of brothers at Cartagonova!

9th of August 2009

Confederations Cup - Semi-Final: Portugal v Spain

We begin the game on the front foot when Vicente earns and orchestrates a free kick inside the first sixty seconds of the game. But on 17 minutes, Emanuel threatens Laínez’s goal with a brilliantly executed pirouette through my defence but fails to make his shot count. Lopes is then denied celebrating his goal on 20 minutes when the referee’s assistant rules it out for off-side against the striker. We immediately take the ball up the other end of the pitch, but Raúl wastes a glorious opportunity to make Portugal pay. On 26 minutes, Ricardo Jorge calls Laínez into action with a snap shot, but the keeper manages to push it away and Gavião completes the clearance. We calmly play the ball around until we find an opening for Raúl, but again our captain can’t make the possession count in our favour.

On 35 minutes, we are then cursed by the application of the linesman’s flag. This time, Raúl celebrates a goal, only to have it ruled out for off-side against him. Remembering that he was sent off for protesting too much just a couple of games ago, the Spanish captain buttons his lip and gets on with the game. It’s real end-to-end action when on 40 minutes, Lopes should have scored but screws his shot wide. Straight from the goal kick, Vicente finds Raúl, but he misses a glorious opportunity by miles. On 50 minutes, Spain’s captain forces Salgueiro to make a great stop with a floating header that stretched the Portuguese keeper to his limits. Five minutes later, it is Laínez’s turn to show off his skills when Lopes strikes a sizzling drive from 15 yards. Portugal keep up the pressure from the resulting corners, and it is all too much for Cabrera, who on 57 minutes, is sent off for a professional foul by holding back Lopes. icon_mad.gif I immediately substitute Sabino for César and hope that the off-colour Raúl can lead the attack all by himself. Portugal almost make their man advantage count when Rogério finds Lopes all alone in the box, but the striker snatches at his shot too quickly and it sails over the bar unhindered.

But on 66 minutes, Portugal finally take the lead when Simões scores his first goal for his country, out of the blue. icon_mad.gif Three minutes later, however, we are level when Vicente finds Raúl, and the captain silences all his critics (including me, as I was about to substitute him) by dribbling the entire Portuguese defence and hitting a hard shot with the outside of his foot into the top left corner of the net! icon_smile.gificon_cool.gif Portugal seem, however, to be the better side and as the minutes tick by and they come closer to breaking through for a second time, I think that we will be lucky to hold onto extra time. But against the run of play, we take the lead in the first thirty seconds of injury time. Amaya gets a foot into to break up the latest Portuguese attack and it falls fortuitously to Gavião. The Real Betis midfielder passes forward to Vicente, who looks up and without hesitation blasts home from 30 yards! icon_biggrin.gif

I note, however, that there should be at least another three minutes of injury time to add, and I think that is plenty for Portugal to hit back. It takes them only a minute, as Lopes dribbles past Zubizarreta and forces Laínez into punching his swerving shot away from Spain’s goal. But it falls nicely for Ricardo Jorge to spot the incoming Dani, and the substitute crashes home the equalising goal with just thirty seconds left to play. icon_mad.gif Then Portugal almost win it in injury time as they steal possession and drive it forward towards Dani, but Laínez keeps us in it.

By this time, everybody is exhausted and the first half of extra time passes by without much incident. One minute into the second half, Raúl is unlucky to see his excellent free kick diverted past his post by Salgueiro while on 120 minutes, Laínez does brilliantly to deny Lopes at the cost of a corner kick. From the corner, Ricardo Gomes almost breaks the deadlock, but again the Barcelona keeper is equal to the task. Vicente then sends the ball long towards Raúl but his first time volley is saved well by Salgueiro to send the game to penalties.

Raúl wins the cointoss and opts to begin. He is the first to score, but Ricardo Gomes puts Portugal on level terms. Vicente makes it 2-1 in Spain’s favour, and Laínez saves from Rogério. Zubizarreta extends it to 3-1, but Lopes brings it back to 3-2. Carlos Marchena makes it four penalties from four attempts to put the acid back on Portugal. Jorge Ribeiro scores for Portugal, but Garrido’s successful penalty makes it 5-3 in our favour! icon_biggrin.gif That means we go through to the final! icon_cool.gif

Portugal (5-2-1-2): Salgueiro; Ribeiro, David Aires, Ricardo Gomes, Simões (Conceição 121), Fernando (Luis Fernandes 81); Vítor Hugo ©, Rogério; Emanuel (Dani 59); Lopes, Ricardo Jorge.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez; Borja, Amaya, Marchena, Cabrera (s/o 57); Gavião; Garrido, Zubizarreta; Vicente; Raúl ©, Sabino (César 58).

Final score: Portugal 2:2 Spain (aet; Spain wins 5-3 on penalties)

MoM - Ricardo Jorge

In the other semi-final, Mexico books its place in the final after beating Colombia 3-2 in Rotterdam. César Cabrera will miss the final after he was sent off in the last game.

10th of August 2009

Hércules returns with an offer of £850,000 over 18 months for Michel. I want £1 million over 12 months, plus £250,000 after ten league games for the veteran winger.

I am informed by my trusty sidekick, Luis Sosa, that veteran Brazilian forward Amoroso has agreed terms with Cartagonova, saying that he was looking forward to working with me. He might be 35, but I think he has something left to offer.

In the meantime, Martín Palermo has returned to Argentina and Boca Juniors after being released on a free transfer by Valencia. Unfortunately, the former international striker has to wait until July 2010 to complete his move!

11th of August 2009

Hércules submits a bid of £4.8 million payable over 18 months for Cabrera. This is rejected.

In the third place playoff in Rotterdam, Colombia beats Portugal 3-2 after extra time. Dani scored first for Portugal on 17 minutes, but Zudaire pulled Colombia level eight minutes later. Dani put Portugal ahead five minutes before the break, but a Beto own-goal on 49 minutes levelled the game until the 119th minute, when Johnnier Montaño scored the winning goal.

I’m relieved to see Iván Vidal put pen to paper on a new five year deal that keeps him at Cartagonova until he is 35. The contract is worth £5 million to the Spanish international keeper.

12th of August 2009

I accept an offer from Getafe to loan Palomino for the season. I think the experience should stand him in good stead as I hope he will be a great centre half for the club for years to come.

Hércules withdraws its bid for Michel, unable or unwilling to come up with the money to meet my terms.

Confederations Cup - Final: Mexico v Spain

“… Welcome to the Amsterdam Arena, where just over 51,000 fans are crammed in to witness the clash between Mexico and Spain. We take you to our match commentators, Andy Gray and first, Martin Tyler…â€

“… Spain looks to attack with de la Rosa, in for the exhausted Gavião, gathering up the loose ball. He advances into Mexico’s half of the pitch. He sees Raúl racing into the box, and his pass is well tailored for the run of Spain’s captain. Oh, great save from Sampedro! He really needed to get down low to his right and his finger-tips were all that was between Mexico and a goal deficit so early in the game. Raúl looks disappointed with himself, but in truth it was a great save from the Mexican keeper. And it didn’t even cost Mexico a corner, as Arellano managed to hoof it clear of the danger area…â€

“… Sampedro takes the goal kick quickly, but perhaps he should have considered his options a little more carefully as it went straight to Vicente. The Roma man finds Raúl once more advancing into a dangerous position, but his long-range effort bends over the bar without troubling Sampedro. … We approach the half hour mark with the scores still deadlocked, but Spain has had the better of it. Now Vicente is dribbling his way into the box. He’s surrounded by Mexican defenders, but Raúl is again free - that must be alarming for Mexico! Another good save from Sampedro, however, and Spain still can’t find that all-important first goal. Their manager, Señor Flatline must be very frustrated on the touchline there, as he has seen his captain miss three good chances to put Spain in the lead. But Garrido is in charge of the corner. He lofts it into the Mexican box. There’s pandemonium! Arellano heads the ball out, but only as far as Sabino, who finds Zubizarreta! Goal! Goal for Spain! A brilliant goal! A wonderful header from the Espanyol winger, and Spain takes a deserved lead bang on the half hour mark! What do you think of that Andy? …â€

“… Mexico need to attack if they want to equalise this game before half-time. They have a good opportunity now, as Sánchez Caballero is able to move deep into Spain’s territory. Nobody is coming towards him, and he is able to cross into the box. Osorno muscles past Amaya, but his header is saved well by Laínez, although there is a corner to Mexico. Thirty-five minutes in, and this is basically their first attack of the game. Ramirez manages to get above Marchena, but he can’t direct his header and Oliva can clear the ball away. He does so now, and it falls well for de la Rosa. The Barcelona midfielder spies Vicente who flicks the ball onto Sabino. The Cartagonova striker puts the cross in! Another goal to Spain! Yes, that’s there! It’s Garrido, and it’s 2-0 to Spain! They really deserve this lead! They’ve outplayed Mexico since the start of the game, and it’s beginning to fall into place for Spain now. Goals to Zubizarreta and now Garrido make it 2-0 to Spain, and this is the best football country in the world at work. Sit back and enjoy…â€

“… Five minutes before half-time, and Spain have a 2-0 lead. It could be 3-0… No! Raúl has put his header wide. Carmona managed to get across in time to deny the Spanish captain enough time to place the header correctly and it has gone wide of the mark. … Well, at half time, we have Spain leading Mexico 2-0. It’s a lead that Spain really worked hard to achieve. The first goal came on 30 minutes when Sabino crossed for Zubizarreta to head home, and the second was scored by Garrido after some more good work from Sabino. After the break, we’ll take a look at the first half in some detail. Stay with us! …â€

“… We’ve hardly sighted Mexico in the first 65 minutes of the game, and Spain has been content since half-time to sit back and soak up whatever pressure they have had to absorb, which isn’t much, admittedly. But now this is promising for Mexico. Can they make something of this? Sánchez Caballero, who is so important to Mexico’s chances of getting something from this game. He has the ball on the right wing, and he sees Ramirez ahead of him, presenting an option. Ramirez has the ball now. He plays the one-two with Osorno and suddenly he is in behind the full-back César. This is dangerous for Spain, as Osorno has the ball back again. Mendoza is screaming for the ball on the left of the box, and he has it now. He shoots! He scores! A fantastic goal from Mexico, capped off by a brilliant shot from Mendoza and suddenly, from nowhere, Mexico is back in this game! … Vicente now, he has the ball and he is looking for options. No he’s not! He wants to have a shot at goal, and well, if he could have hit it a bit better, Spain could have restored their two goal cushion. But he has the ball again, and he is looking for Raúl this time. The captain? No. Sampedro manages to get across in time to deny Raúl from putting Spain back 3-1 ahead…â€

“… There’s only thirteen minutes left to play and while they have one goal, Mexico need another to force this game into extra-time. Can this be the chance they need? Sánchez Caballero has the ball, and he finds Mendoza to his left. Mendoza chips it up for Marquez, who gets there just ahead of Marchena! He looks to float the ball into the box, but Oliva is there. Oh no, he has misdirected his clearance and it’s fallen back for Mendoza who squeezes a shot out at goal, and it beats Laínez! This is unbelievable! Mexico are in raptures, and Laínez is leading an inquest into the defence! Mexico are level, with only 13 minutes left to play! There could be an upset brewing here! …â€

“… Seven minutes to play and Mexico have brought themselves level. This game could be headed for extra time. But Garrido has the ball on the left. The Cartagonova winger is trying to make one last run down the left, but he is exhausted. They all are, though, and he manages to find Vicente, the influential Roma midfielder. Vicente puts the cross into the box. Wow, that was close for Spain! Raúl has hit the post with his header, and that is just the bad luck Spain is suffering at the moment. … Four minutes of normal time left, and Spain have been forced to make a substitution as Garrido is too exhausted to continue. On comes José Antonio Reyes to replace the Cartagonova midfielder, and the game will continue … Sabino has the ball. He tries to find Zubizarreta but the pass is slightly awry. Davino strips Zubizarreta and now is advancing forwards. Mendoza has the ball. He flicks it out towards Sanchez! What a fantastic goal! Sanchez scores what must be the winning goal with a brilliantly executed drive from 40 yards that Laínez had no chance of reaching! This is a real shock to the Spanish system, and they have precious little time to respond! … There must be only a minute left to play, and Mexico lead 3-2 after trailing 2-0 at half-time. What a turn around, but now de la Rosa has the ball. He is going forward, looking for an option. Can he find one? Yes, he can and suddenly Spain are level! What an equaliser from Raúl! They never needed him more, and when all the chips are down, he delivers in style, heading home de la Rosa’s cross! This match is bound for extra-time! …â€

“ … Four minutes into extra time and de la Rosa needs to be taken off with an injury. It looks like cramp, but one can’t be sure. He is replaced by Diego. … Three minutes before half-time, and we haven’t had a chance to speak of. But now we might. Reyes sees Raúl making a run into the box, and the AC Milan player has lost his man. But Sampedro has that covered. Wait, he has made a mistake! Vicente! Yes! Spain have won the Confederations Cup due to a mistake from Sampedro! He should not have let Raúl’s shot run, and Vicente managed to sneak in past the Mexican defence to turn in the shot! What a remarkable finish to a remarkable game and I have to admit that Spain really does deserve to lift the Confederations Cup! …â€

Mexico (5-3-2): Sampedro; Carmona (Espadas 81), Davino, Mascorro, Marquez, Arellano; Ramirez (Sancho 81), Basterretxea Bitorica (Sanchez 76), Sánchez Caballero; Osorno, Mendoza.

Spain (4-1-2-1-2): Laínez; César, Amaya, Marchena, Oliva; de la Rosa (Diego 94); Garrido (Reyes 86), Zubizarreta; Vicente; Raúl ©, Sabino.

Final score: Mexico 3:4 Spain (aet)

MoM - Jesus Mendoza

After the game, I’m asked about what I think about de la Rosa. There are some that think he was an absolute star of the Confederations Cup this time, and I have to agree that he had a great final and a good tournament.

I sign a new coach for Cartagonova in the afternoon. Australian Doug Hodgson will join as soon as he can find a plane to Spain.

14th of August 2009

Hércules makes an offer of £5.75 million for Cabrera, payable over 18 months. Sorry, I’m not accepting that offer.

Friendly - Varese v Cartagonova

A brief tour of Italy takes us to Varese to play a club struggling to escape Serie C/2A. As expected, we blow our hosts off the pitch, scoring four times in the first half. Juan Hernández leads the way with a goal on 9 minutes, and he is soon joined on the scoreboard by Cherno Samba, scoring on 13 minutes. Amoroso scores on 27 minutes, while Bojan Djordjic makes it 4-0 on 43 minutes. We add a fifth goal at the end of the game, with substitute Claudio López completing the demolition job. We keep our hosts from even threatening Bagnacani’s goal, much to the disgust of the majority of the 6,000-odd spectators, but we do lose César Cabrera for a fortnight thanks to a broken toe 9 minutes into the second half. That is actually rather concerning because I don’t really have great cover at right back after the departure of César for pastures new. I’ll have to look into that.

Varese (4-4-2): Passoni; Palo (Fusco 71), Tommasi, Piergentili, Salerno; Ferrari, Viviani (Buzzi 54), Palmieri, Mancino ©; Lorenzo (Stefani 45 (Giannusa 60)), Masi (Simoni 54).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning, Lauret (Lasa 71), Loughran, Cabrera © (Gershon 54); Mason (Verón 71); Djordjic, Salas; Hernández; Samba (Owen 54), Amoroso (Claudio López 71).

Final score: Varese 0:5 Cartagonova

MoM - Bojan Djordjic

15th of August 2009

Villarreal offer me £7.75 million for Rønning, split into £5.5 million over 18 months and £2.1 million over 20 league appearances. I want £8 million over six months plus £3 million over 20 league appearances.

In the meantime, Palomino decides to join Getafe on loan for the season.

Sitting at a café at a piazza in Parma, I phone my backroom boys back in Cartagena looking for a good Spanish-speaking full-back who would be attracted to joining the club. After some conferral which necessitated a call-back at the hotel where we are staying for the night before our game with Parma, my scouts identify newly-promoted Hércules’ David Alonso as a good purchase. He is 21 years old, versatile (can play at defence or midfield and on both sides of the pitch), has bags of pace, knows how to pass the ball and can tackle pretty well for a youngster. I’m surprised to hear that Hércules are open to offers - a player like that doesn’t come around every day and I would do everything I can to keep him. Oh well. I authorise the club to make a bid of £1.5 million as an exploratory gesture, knowing that with less than a week to go before the transfer deadline hits, we need to move fairly fast on this one.

“… It has taken the Brazilian international striker some time to decide where his future lay, but Ronaldo has finally announced that he will join Brazilian club Corinthians on a free transfer this evening. The striker, earning his 100th cap for Brazil in a 2-0 loss to Uruguay ten days ago, was released by Barcelona at the end of last season and rejected offers from six other clubs, including Spanish champion Cartagonova, to return to his native Brazil with Corinthians. The deal is expected to be formally concluded tomorrow…â€

Well, I’m disappointed to miss out on Ronaldo, because I think that even though he is 32 years old now, he still has enough talent and vitality to cause plenty of problems to defenders when used wisely.

16th of August 2009

Friendly - Parma v Cartagonova

We carry our good form to the Ennio Tardini stadium as we beat Parma 3-0, and it could have been a few more, too. Juan Hernández kicks us off with a goal on 22 minutes, smashing home Sabino’s good pass through the legs of a static Buffon. On 45 minutes, Parma earn a corner through Walter Pandiani forcing Bagnacani into a good save. But they can’t control possession, and Mason and Hernández sweep it forward to the predatory Sabino, who stakes a claim to partner Notman at the start of the season when he slams home our second goal of the game. On 63 minutes, Lassissi gives away a free kick with a poor tackle on Otfors-Palmqvist, and Claudio López converts with his first kick of the game after coming on as a substitute. On 81 minutes, Andy Owen has the ball in the back of the net, but it is ruled out for off-side against Amoroso, playing against his former club.

Parma (4-4-2): Buffon ©; Lorenzini, Manfredini, Lassissi, Faini (Pistone 61); Beer (Bachini 53), Conticchio, Firmani, Osmanovski (Hack 61); Pandiani (Farinelli 87), Bjärsmyr (Castro 79).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Bagnacani; Rønning, Lasa ©, Lauret, Lacruz (Thuram 77); Mason; Otfors-Palmvqist, Salas (Muslimovic 60); Hernández (Claudio López 60); Samba (Owen 77), Sabino (Amoroso 77).

Final score: Parma 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Sabino

17th of August 2009

Cabrera’s agent stirs up trouble by talking up a move for his client to Sevilla worth only £1.8 million. Given that he is now a first-choice full-back, I don’t think that will ever happen, not at that price, at any rate. A firm and strenuous press release is circulated amongst Spain to deny such a move, and in the meantime, I mark down on the training schedule a tough regime for Cabrera when he returns from injury to make sure he knows on which side his bread is buttered.

In the meantime, my terms for Rønning prove too much for Villarreal.

18th of August 2009

Hércules simultaneously rejects my offer for Alonso and bids £825,000 over 18 months for Michel. I want £1 million over 18 months for the veteran winger.

Recreativo offers me £550,000 for José María Lacruz. Unfortunately for them, Lacruz remains a wanted player because he gives me an option on the right side of defence. Recreativo also offers to loan Elias Krantz for the season. That is gladly accepted.

19th of August 2009

Real Vallodolid offers me £2.8 million for José Manuel Lasa. Unfortunately, it is over 18 months. I want £3.5 million now plus another £1 million after ten league games.

Elias Krantz agrees to join Recreativo on loan for the season.

I lose Juan Hernández for three weeks as he strains a calf in training. That’s a pity, because he did pretty well in the two friendly games we played.

20th of August 2009

Hércules submits a bid of £1 million over 18 months for Michel. It matches the terms I outlined previously, so I accept the offer and allow the newly-promoted club talk to the winger. In the evening, Michel informs me that he has agreed terms with the club and will make arrangements to depart Cartagonova in the morning. I will be sorry to see him go, but I was not convinced after last season that he had a future here at the club. I hope that he makes something of his chance to revive his career at Hércules, because they need somebody who has his talent when confronting a difficult first season in the Primera Liga. I also manage to convince the Hércules manager that he should let me talk to David Alonso, but unfortunately the player has listened to too many bad rumours about the club and has now developed cold feet about moving to the club.

So I issue a press release to the media, informing that Cartagonova has signed experienced defender Andrés Bressán from Racing Club in Argentina. I have long admired the Argentine defender from afar, but until now I have not had the opportunity to work with him. But for £2 million, he is now a Cartagonova player and I feel that I have at least short-term cover for my defence.

In the meantime, the press are focussing upon Señor César García García and his Real Madrid, saying that after racking up purchases worth £41.5 million in the close season, nothing less than the title will be expected.

21st of August 2009

Michel completes his move to Hércules: Michel (33 y/o, ESP, AM L): 289(14) apps, 42 goals, 65 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.12.

In the meantime, Real Vallodolid decide to discontinue their interest in Lasa.

I’m astounded and furious to learn that the Cartagonova board, led by Señor Florentino Manzano himself, has voted to cancel the mooted Alonso transfer. I finally had convinced the youngster to join the club when I learn, on the eve of the close of the summer transfer period, that the board does not believe the move makes economic or business sense. This is ridiculous! icon_mad.gif It is also, I admit, the first time it has happened in nine years of management, but I really need a player of Alonso’s calibre here at the club.

22nd of August 2009

Alavés sneaks a bid of £2 million over 18 months before the transfer deadline passes for Palomino. But I’m not about to give up the chance of moulding some good young talent at this stage, so I reject the offer.

In the meantime, Real Vallodolid offers £2.8 million over 18 months for Gary Mason. Not a chance.

That is the last action before the transfer deadline is officially imposed by the Spanish FA. So, as always, we’ll begin the season’s preview by having a look at the Cartagonova squad, and then the twenty clubs that make up Spain’s top division:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 5 caps, GK): 344(1) apps, 391 conceded, 28 MoMs, av. rating: 7.32: There was some concern amongst the club’s hierarchy that the captain would seek to leave at the end of his contract. That concern was magnified by apparent interest from Real Madrid, and Vidal’s unhappiness when I rejected certain transfer feelers. However, Vidal put all that behind him to happily sign a new five year contract that will essentially bind him to Cartagonova until the (effective) end of his career. That will mean that, based on current calculations, he will have racked up about 700 appearances for the club! He has also given me a serious option to consider at international level after he performed well in his single appearance for Spain at the Confederations Cup. I will be looking for more of the same from last season in the upcoming season, as he conceded less goals than the games he played, for the first time in his career. He has been an excellent servant for the club to date, and I have no doubt that Vidal will continue to be in the future.

Davide Bagnacani (29 y/o, ITA, GK): 4(1) apps, 4 goals, av. rating: 7.20: Unfortunately for Davide, Vidal’s decision to sign a new contract means that I’m always going to prefer the Spaniard to the Italian in goal when both are fit, at least for the foreseeable future. And there is no doubt that Bagnacani would be able to do the job if necessary, given his form during the two pre-season friendlies (although to be honest, he wasn’t even tested in the first game). I think that there will come a time, like Gillet before him, when Bagnacani will want to move on. I probably will let him, too, at that.

Jesús Martínez (17 y/o, ESP, GK): 0 apps: Jesús has the distinction of being the first product of our brand spanking new youth academy, and if all players that come out of the academy are as good as him, then I’ll be very happy. They say that goalkeepers don’t peak until they hit their 30s, but Jesús almost looks like the finished product now! He has pace, strength, agility, acceleration, anticipation, and handling to a good extent, and with some more training with the first team, I think that he will be a great player for years to come. There is no question that he is a long-term prospect for the club, but I’m very glad that he is here, now, so that we can make sure that his career is long and successful.

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (31 y/o, ISR 53 caps, 5 goals, SW/D/S C): 186(4) apps, 7 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19: To his credit, Shimon has shown a cool head in what has been a fairly intense pre-season for the club. I have decided not to play him in the pre-season friendlies, as I normally treat those as an opportunity to determine which players are likely to make themselves known to me during the season as viable alternatives to the first eleven I have in my mind. Therefore, Shimon should treat himself as a true first team regular. He has been an excellent acquisition for the club since he joined back in 2005/06, and now in 2009/10, he has assumed a position of leadership amongst the younger players. Only 31, I think that Shimon should be a good player for the club for at least a few more seasons, and he should gather together some more honours through his already fruitful association with Cartagonova.

Palomino (21 y/o, ESP, SW/D/DM C): 1 app, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 9.00: On loan for the season to Getafe to obtain some experience, I hope that Palomino gathers together some maturity, both physical and mental, and come back to the club willing to make that next step towards taking a first team place in the near future. I have big wraps on this boy, and I hope that he really makes best use of his opportunity to put his career on the right track as early as possible.

Andrés Bressán (32 y/o, ARG 2 caps, D RLC): 0 apps: After playing all but 19 of his 331 games with Racing in Argentina, Andrés finally has the opportunity to play in Europe, and with the Spanish champion to boot. A versatile player, he will be important to my plans not so much as a first team regular, but a player I can call upon to plug the gaps, such as that left by the injured César Cabrera. A strong player and not afraid of putting the tackle in when necessary, I think he is a good addition to the squad, at least in the short term.

César Cabrera (24 y/o, ESP 7 caps, D RL): 66(7) apps, 1 goal, 16 assists, av. rating: 6.82: With the sale of César to Juventus, Cabrera now must step up and assume a real position of responsibility at the club. He becomes the first choice right back and he needs to show this season that this responsibility is not misplaced. As I remarked at the end of last season, Cabrera has the unfortunate tendency to produce inconsistent displays over a period of time. He really needs to iron that out both for his own career and to the benefit of the club. He has the potential to really cement for himself a place in the Spanish team in the run-up to the World Cup, but he needs to put in a good, consistent season for Cartagonova this time out.

José María Lacruz (31 y/o, ESP, D RL): 208(6) apps, 2 goals, 11 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63: At the end of the season, I was about to write off his career, but now I think that Lacruz has an enlarged role to play at Cartagonova. With Cabrera injured and Bressán still to settle, I think that Lacruz has a good opportunity to establish himself as at least the first choice cover for Cabrera in case I need to rest (or drop) the youngster. However, I have always felt that Lacruz’s best position was on the left of the back four, and the pre-season friendly against Parma did nothing to dispel that perception. If that is the case, then Cartagonova may well be penalised by it. That would be harsh on the player, but there may be an element of truth in it.

Lilian Thuram (37 y/o, FRA 118 caps, 6 goals, D RC): 4(2) apps, av. rating: 6.50: Everybody expected the player/coach to hang up the playing boots for good at the end of the season, but he decided to push on into the new season. I take that with some degree of disappointment, because I think that Lilian’s best days are now long behind him, and he should free up the squad position for a player looking to make his way in the world. Then again, his ability to play on the right of defence may come in handy this season, given our stretched resources in that department!

Per Vener Rønning (26 y/o, NOR 18 caps, 3 goals, D/DM/F LC): 39(21) apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.95: Since he joined Cartagonova from Salamanca, I’ve tried to see Rønning as a midfielder. But now I believe that his best position could possibly be at left back, and in that position he could really strengthen his claim for a regular first team place. The talented Norwegian, however, has been unsettled by the pre-season intensity that saw his compatriot and friend Kristian Tanem leave the club. There has been some interest in the versatile player, and when I have not seen fit to allow Rønning to make his own decision about his career, he has not been happy. But hopefully he will settle down and become an important contributor to the club’s success this season.

Martin Smith (31 y/o, DAN 42 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC): 71(3) apps, 7 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.88: Although Martin is not a popular player with the board, as they see him as the catalyst for much of the club’s off-field problems with its players, I believe that the Dane has a positive effect on the pitch. He has a particularly good working relationship with Shimon Gershon and the pair has formed the defensive backbone for my club for 1½ seasons now. I hope that will extend into the future a good long way, and to that end, I decided that I would sign Martin up to a new contract that will just about finish his professional playing career with Cartagonova, so long as I can defend his continued appearance in the club’s colours to the board. If he shows that he is a good defender like he has done so previously, I think I can continue to make that case.

José Manuel Lasa (24 y/o, ESP, D C): 33(3) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.11: José has quietly clocked up 33(3) appearances for Cartagonova in two seasons and has proven to be an able deputy for both Gershon and Smith whenever they have been absent from the first team. However, Lasa believes that he is worth a regular first team spot and is always anxious to move on whenever the opportunity presents himself. If he could find some patience and/or a different agent, he would see that I have some exciting plans for him in the future. After all, Gershon and Smith are now on the wrong side of 30, and they will need to be replaced in the near to medium future. Lasa has a good shot at being one of their replacements, but not if he continues to make noises that he would rather be somewhere else. It is really up to him.

Rob Lauret (24 y/o, NED, D C): 0 apps: Signed from Willem II during the summer pre-season, I feel that Rob is a good addition to the squad. He is not the slowest player in the squad (although he is not the quickest) and he is fairly cultured when in possession. He has an excellent sense of position, which is always good in a defender, while he is also a strong lad, able to out-bustle some of the strongest forwards I have at the club, and he can tackle with the best of them. Like Lasa, I think that Lauret has the potential to tie down a centre half position for some time to come after the current crop of defenders have moved on.

Anthony Loughran (27 y/o, ENG, D C): 0 apps: More in the mould of the Axel Wingård in that he is really a deputy for either Gershon or Smith rather than a long-term replacement, I have been impressed with Loughran during his time in Spain to date, with Córdoba and Osasuna. He really failed to get a good opportunity to showcase his talents with Osasuna and I think that the outlay of £950,000 will prove to be a sound investment for the club in the future. He doesn’t have pace to burn, and he isn’t the most agile of defenders (like many English defenders!) but he is as strong as an ox, and capable of putting in the tackles to stop any striker in his stride. At 27 years of age, he will be peaking in a couple of years, and I think that Cartagonova will do well to hold on to him for a while.

Midfielders

Gary Mason (29 y/o, SCO 5 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 1(1) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 7.50: With the departure of Gavião, Tanem and Jesús during the season, Mason’s importance in my estimation shot up enormously. It also attracted the attention of other clubs who have sought to steal him away from my club. My refusal to do a deal on the Scotsman has not impressed him, although he has failed to catch on to his increased importance so far this season. After having to spend a season in the shadows of great players like Gavião and Tanem, he now has the opportunity to assume their role fairly well unchallenged. Lets hope that he puts all his desire to move away from the club behind him and rises to the challenge.

Andy Owen (24 y/o, WAL 31 caps, 9 goals, DM/S C): 0(4) apps, av. rating: 6.75: It has been a difficult summer for Andy. His disaffection with Spanish life has not improved, despite all my best efforts to accommodate him. This may eventually lead to the parting of the ways for Cartagonova and Owen, and I have to say that I would rue the day when that arrives, if it does, because I think that Andy Owen is a player to watch in the near future. Like Kristian Tanem, Owen is a fantastic player in both midfield and attack, and is fairly close to being the perfect player for both positions. Unfortunately, his apparent desire to leave Spain (for wherever) seems to hold him back, and for that I can’t trust myself to select him regularly for Cartagonova’s games.

Ricardo Verón (28 y/o, ARG 14 caps, 2 goals, M C): 0 apps: Another new arrival at the club, Ricardo Verón gives me an alternative option in the centre of the park. While he is probably not as aggressive as Mason, Verón is probably the more cultured player. He has not been successful in forging a name for himself in Spain so far after coming over from his native Argentina a few seasons back, but I think that at 28 years old, he knows that time is beginning to slip away for him to make that mark. A brilliant passer of the ball, his vision and creativity allow him to find the pass that will do the most damage to the opponent. Further, he is capable of putting in a crunching tackle when required. I really hope that he will make a successful fist of his Cartagonova career.

George Clegg (28 y/o, ENG 1 cap, AM/F RC): 185(24) apps, 58 goals, 46 assists, 15 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38: How George can only have one English cap to his name is a complete mystery, and frankly it is a travesty that the English hierarchy see fit to leave him out of the playing squad. He is surely one of the best attacking midfielders playing the game at the moment, and I’m privileged to see him work every weekend during the season. Back in 2007/08, he did have an admittedly quiet season, but last season and 2006/07, he was an absolute revelation in that spot behind the front two strikers. If he could repeat his performance of 17 goals and 13 assists in 50(2) appearances, I will be very happy because I know that means we have won plenty of games, both in the league and in Europe. He is a great player and a worthy recipient of the ‘No. 10’ jersey made famous at Cartagonova by the legendary Fernando Morán.

Jaime Garrido (25 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 11 goals, AM/F RLC): 93(18) apps, 20 goals, 25 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.43: There is no doubt that Garrido is the best winger in Spain. Unquestionably. His performances for Spain since he burst onto the scene have been breathtakingly spectacular, and I have to say that I don’t think his performances for Cartagonova have been quite so stellar. Nevertheless, I can see why so many clubs have been attempting to claw him away from Cartagonova. I have devoted my time to making sure that doesn’t happen, not while I have a living breath in my body. We have had a stormy relationship because Garrido perceives that this is holding back his career. I’m sure there will come a time when the relationship will break down, because that is the nature of the beast, but so far I’ve been able to persuade Garrido that his future lies with Cartagonova. Therefore, I was very glad to see the winger sign another contract that will keep him at the club for another three seasons. At that time, we will consider our options and hopefully come to the same conclusion - Garrido should be nowhere else. He has a brilliant future ahead of him, and I’m sure that Cartagonova would benefit enormously for having him in the team. Hopefully he can put last season’s injury problems behind him and make big strides towards consolidating this impressive reputation he has already generated.

Elias Krantz (27 y/o, SWE, AM RC): 11(5) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.56: Spent last season on loan to a D2B club, and now will spend this season on loan to a D2 club. At least he is moving up divisions, but I really think that his time as a Cartagonova employee is limited.

Zlatan Muslimovic (28 y/o, BOS 54 caps, 25 goals, AM/F RC): 23(7) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.10: The reason why I’m so willing to let Krantz explore other options is that I know that in Muslimovic I have a ready-made back-up for Garrido. His performances last season weren’t spectacular, but they were good enough to ensure that we weren’t let down when the ball went right. Perhaps paying £5 million for him was a little excessive, but I think that the Bosnian is beginning to whittle that back with every good game he plays for the club. Ironically, I hope that he doesn’t see so much action this season, because that probably means that either Clegg or Garrido (the two players he covers) are seriously injured and unable to take their place in the Cartagonova side. But Muslimovic should not take that as an insult, because he is competing with two great players, and in almost any other team he would be an automatic first choice.

Ramón Salas (24 y/o, ESP, AM RL): 11(4) apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.47: Unfortunately, I think that Salas’ time at Cartagonova is almost up. I have heard from other players and the coaching staff that Salas is going through a rough patch at the moment in his personal life, and his ability to play football seems to be suffering as a result. Every chance I get, I give him an opportunity to showcase his skills, but for every good performance he puts in, he also puts in a real shocker. I don’t want somebody who be so consistent in playing inconsistently undermining the club’s chances, and I believe that the time has come for the club to really examine where Salas is going, and whether we’re going in the same direction. It would be difficult to let him go, because I was after him for so long and then when he was here, felt that he should be nurtured rather than thrust straight into the fire, but it appears that that strategy has backfired on us.

Claudio López (35 y/o, ARG 80 caps, 15 goals, AM/F LC): 0 apps: Made an impressive start to his Cartagonova career in the pre-season friendlies, with two goals from two substitute appearances. Of course, playing in the Primera Liga and the European Champions' League is a far cry from playing against a local club and a side struggling in the Serie A. It would be unfair to expect that Claudio is the same player that he was in his hey-day, but after 80 appearances for Argentina and a distinguished career in Italy, I believe that the veteran midfielder is a good player for the youngsters in the squad to learn from.

Bojan Djordjic (27 y/o, SWE 16 caps, 1 goal, AM LC): 35(7) apps, 4 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 7.08: The sale of Michel in the summer now means that the way is clear for Djordjic to really embrace the responsibility of being the club’s first choice left winger. He did a good job last season, but he really needs to turn the good job into an excellent job this time out. I think the Swedish international midfielder has the ability to go that extra step for himself and the club, and I think we have a particularly strong midfield combination with Garrido on one wing and Djordjic on the other.

Ola Otfors-Palmvqist (28 y/o, SWE, AM/F LC): 2(2) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.25: I am still undecided about the immediate future of Otfors-Palmvqist. He seems to be a good player on paper and his training reflects that. But when you put him out on the park, he is very inconsistent. If he wants to remain a Cartagonova player in the future, then he needs to work on that part of his game.

Rivaldo (37 y/o, BRA 119 caps, 26 goals, AM LC): 0(1) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 8.00: Like Thuram, I thought that Rivaldo would hang up the boots and retire from professional football at the end of the season. But something changed his mind and he has decided to go on for a little longer. Frankly, I don’t really see the reason, because he is not going to get much game time here at Cartagonova. Still, he is good for the kids to watch at training, with the all tricks he has mastered.

Juan Hernández (24 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C): 42(31) apps, 21 goals, 13 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.21: This season represents a watershed in the career of Juan Hernández. His first season at Cartagonova was unbelievably spectacular and you really thought that he had the world at his feet. But reality seems to be seeping back in at an alarming rate and last season was not a very good one for him. He needs to focus on his football and turn the slide around. To his credit, the two games he played in the pre-season tour of Italy were very good and showed promise that he might be regaining the touch that made him such a promising and exciting youngster a few seasons back. But the road is a long one back to oust a player of the calibre of George Clegg on a regular basis. I wish him all the luck in the world.

Forwards

Alex Notman (29 y/o, SCO 29 caps, 17 goals, AM/F C): 178(6) apps, 120 goals, 50 assists, 49 MoMs, av. rating: 8.12: Quite clearly, the best striker in Spain at the moment. He has accumulated a phenomenal record since joining the club from German club VfB Stuttgart, and if he was a Spaniard, he would be lauded as the best player in the world. Unfortunately, he is a Scotsman and that is counting against him when it comes time to select the players for the best player in the world award. He really should be up there amongst the elite, but he will have to make do with winning title after title with Cartagonova and the occasional European Champions' League, too! He has broken the 30 goal barrier in each season he has played for Cartagonova, and you can’t bet against him doing the same this season.

Amoroso (35 y/o, BRA 90 caps, 34 goals, F LC): 0 apps: The fans may wonder why I have signed so many veterans recently. Sometimes, so do I and sometimes I make a vow not to do it again. But then a player comes along for free who I believe, despite his age, would add something to the squad. I think the performances of Amoroso in the two pre-season friendlies in which he participated have shown that my judgment may well be correct. After collecting 90 international caps for Brazil and playing for successful clubs like Parma and Barcelona, I think that Amoroso should certainly play a good role in helping along the youngsters in the squad learn their trade, such as Samba, for instance.

José Manuel Redondo (33 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, S C): 316(11) apps, 181 goals, 81 assists, 47 MoMs, av. rating: 7.77: Now a seasoned veteran here at Cartagonova, he is the wily predator who many think would be winding down towards retirement from professional football and only occasionally bobbing up to play the odd game and score the odd goal. But Redondo takes many people by surprise, and none so more than me when he netted 31 times last season for his best return in a Cartagonova jersey. He might be 33 years old, but 181 goals in 316(11) appearances for the club speaks volume about his loyalty and skill. He will always have a good home here.

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 11 caps, 4 goals, S C): 10(9) apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, av. rating: 7.42: Some may call this the prodigal son returning home, and certainly some of the local newspapers did, having not forgotten what they perceived to be poor treatment of the club by Sabino when he left for Real Madrid a couple of seasons back. He may return older and somewhat wiser, but I’m willing to put all that behind me and look to Sabino to carry the attack with Notman. At 31 years old, he is probably not really a long-term option for the club, but his performances for both Real Madrid and Spain say that he has a lot to offer, and I’m sure I will have a few enjoyable headaches trying to choose between Redondo and Sabino this season to partner Notman.

Cherno Samba (23 y/o, ENG, S C): 5(8) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.92: Definitely the baby amongst the strikers, Samba should look forward to a great future leading the attack in the next five to ten years. He has the talent to really go places, and I want to make sure that everything is done to maximise the potential that he has. Therefore, it was a pity to see somebody of the legendary status as Enzo Francescoli leave the club over the summer, because I’m sure that Samaba would have learned plenty about the striker’s game from the Uruguayan. Nevertheless, Samba is surrounded by some good role models and he should make best use of that in order to put his name forward as a real contender for the ‘no. 9’ jersey when Redondo finally relinquishes it.

So, that constitutes the squad for the coming season for Cartagonova, noting that Palomino and Krantz are on loan for the season. It’s now time to take a look at the twenty clubs that make up this season’s Primera Liga, and as always we do it in alphabetical order, meaning that Alavés is first. There was precious little activity on the transfer market, at least coming into the club, over the summer. Veteran midfielder Bruno Ribeiro joined the club in June on a Bosman free transfer from Bolton Wanderers, while the Basque club also picked up David Santos, a central defender, from Getafe for £1.6 million. But the club really needed to pick up some good talent to support the perennially want-away Cristian Ãlvarez and Uruguayan winger Carlos Jacques. These two constitute the bulk of the attacking flair and creativity for the club, and their shoulders will need to carry most of the burden of keeping the club in the Primera Liga this season. It will be made harder by the decision of Dutch central defender Matthew Altena to leave the club for Real Betis in the off-season, as he had been a good defender for the club since joining from the Netherlands. Some light at the end of the tunnel may be provided by 18 year old striker Fernando Rubio, who many believe will go on to be a good talent for the club in the next few years. But Epitié and Iván Pérez, the two main strikers for the club, are not growing any younger and it looks like it will be a struggle for the club to keep itself in the Primera Liga beyond this season, without some urgent injection of fresh talent.

In

Bruno Riberio (33 y/o, POR, M LC) from Bolton Wanderers on a Bosman free transfer

David Santos (24 y/o, ESP, D C) from Getafe for £1.6 million

Out

Levan Kobiaschwili (32 y/o, GEO 76 caps, 6 goals, DM LC) to Novelda on a Bosman free transfer

Liang Wang (30 y/o, CHI 13 caps, D/M LC) to Espanyol for £600,000

Matthew Altena (26 y/o, NED 4 caps, D C) to Real Betis for £3.5 million

Delano Hill (34 y/o, NED 1 cap, D LC) released on free transfer

Ludovic Giuly (33 y/o, FRA, AM/F RL) released on free transfer

It marks the first time since 2002/03-03/04 that Atlético Madrid has remained in the top flight for two consecutive seasons. Finishing eleventh in the first season back from the Segunda Liga was a good result for the club in terms of consolidation, although Ãlvaro Pérez was not around long to see it, given the flick by the chairman in October. Former Athletic Bilbao manager, Señor Luis Fernández, was given control by Señor Jesús Gil, and guided the club to a respectable position by the end of the season. And he has not been hesitant in opening the chairman’s cheque book and signing reasonably sized cheques to bring strength into the squad. Most of the incoming players have been there and done that before, with the likes of Stefano Fiore, Giuliano Giannichedda, Willy Sagnol, and Carlos Quiñónez all possessing impressive CVs. And the exit door from the club has been busy, too, with the manager looking to cut as much deadweight from the club as possible to ensure that he has a manageable squad with which to attack the coming season. Much, however, will rely upon the sturdy shoulders of Guinea-Bissau striker Sene Djaló, who impressed many observers with his first season in the Primera Liga last time. Now, defenders are going to be more wary of him and it will be a test of his talents to see how he copes. His form will be crucial to the performance of the team as a whole, and when an impatient chairman sees his club struggling to get off to a good start, then heads may roll. Still, the club should be capable of steering clear of relegation and perhaps even improving on eleventh place.

In

David di Tommaso (29 y/o, FRA 9 caps, D LC) from Monaco on Bosman free transfer

Giuliano Giannichedda (34 y/o, ITA 13 caps, 1 goal, DM C) from Parma on Bosman free transfer

Willy Sagnol (32 y/o, FRA 5 caps, D R) from Nantes on Bosman free transfer

Zbigniew Malkowski (31 y/o, POL 23 caps, GK) from Feyenoord on Bosman free transfer

Rafael Reina (24 y/o, ESP, M R) from Málaga on Bosman free transfer

Josep María Pagés (33 y/o, ESP, M L) from Las Palmas on Bosman free transfer

Stefano Fiore (34 y/o, ITA 52 caps, 10 goals, AM C) from Valencia on Bosman free transfer

Diego Díaz (23 y/o, URU 1 cap, DM RC) from Nacional (Uru) for £4.7 million

Gabriel Pereyra (31 y/o, ARG, M R) from Real Betis for £1.2 million

Francisco Javier Olmo (24 y/o, ESP, D/M RL) from Villarreal for £1.2 million

Carlos Quiñónez (29 y/o, ARG, AM LC) from Espanyol for £3.3 million

Out

Moisés (31 y/o, VEN 41 caps, 7 goals, AM/F RC) to Alverca on Bosman free transfer

Óscar De Paula (34 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F R) released on free transfer

Bravo (35 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Villarreal for £65,000

Kim Pedersen (26 y/o, SWE, D/DM R) to Toledo on Bosman free transfer

Vágner (36 y/o, BRA 32 caps, 3 goals, DM RC) released on free transfer

Daniel Martí (23 y/o, ESP, S C) to Sabadell for £550,000

Ricardo Verón (28 y/o, ARG 14 caps, 2 goals, M C) to Cartagonova for £1.5 million

Santi (35 y/o, ESP 2 caps, SW/D C) released on free transfer

Barcelona has been forced to look on while fierce rival Cartagonova captured three consecutive league titles. The last time the Catalans-based club triumphed was in 2005/06, when they finished twenty points clear of Cartagonova. But since then, Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer has only managed two Copa del Rey runners-up finishes and a loss to Cartagonova in the Spanish Super Cup of 2006. That simply isn’t good enough for the demanding Barcelona fans and some feel that perhaps a change of direction was required over the close season. However, the board has decided to renew Señor Serra Ferrer’s contract for another season, and he has made immediate use of the security of his position to sign some ‘big-name’ players. The first through the door was Amoroso, but he was released a month later and ironically joined Cartagonova on a free transfer. But the defence has been strengthened with the signature of Chilean international utility defender Claudio Andrés Maldonado. Right-sided forward Aprilla joined Barcelona from Mallorca, but the big signing was the return of Gerard to the club from his Italian jaunt with Fiorentina. Barcelona spent £14 million to take back the club’s favourite son and they all hope that, after his broken leg, he can recapture the form that made him one of the most influential midfielders in Europe. Spanish manager Señor Flatline will also observe his season with interest with World Cup 2010 just a season away. The club also shaved plenty of players off its playing list with Amoroso, Ronaldo, Iván de la Peña, and youngsters Carlos López and Marco Antonio Martín. Barcelona will rely on its strong spine of Spanish international keeper Laínez, Spanish international utility defender José de la Rosa, international midfielders Juan Sebastián Verón and Matteo Brighi, and forwards Alex and Cristian Bardaro. Barcelona should have the squad to challenge for the title, but whether they can claim it is only something time will tell.

In

Amoroso (35 y/o, BRA 90 caps, 34 goals, F LC) from Parma on Bosman free transfer

Claudio Andrés Maldonado (29 y/o, CHI 87 caps, 3 goals, D/DM RC) from Real Betis for £7.25 million

Asprilla (27 y/o, POR, F R) from Mallorca for £1.7 million

Gerard (30 y/o, ESP 48 caps, 9 goals, AM C) from Fiorentina for £14 million

Out

Juan Manuel Villa (23 y/o, ESP, DM C) to Coria on Bosman free transfer

Jukka Hakala (31 y/o, FIN 49 caps, 3 goals, D C) to Real Madrid on Bosman free transfer

Iván de la Peña (33 y/o, ESP 36 caps, 6 goals, AM C) released on free transfer

Carlos López (20 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) released on free transfer

Ronaldo (32 y/o, BRA 100 caps, 46 goals, S C) released on free transfer

Amoroso (35 y/o, BRA 90 caps, 34 goals, F LC) released on free transfer

Marco Antonio Martín (20 y/o, ESP, D/DM R) released on free transfer

While the focus of Spanish football has been on Cartagonova, Barcelona and Real Madrid in recent times, Señor Francisco Herrera, in conjunction with the directors of football at Real Betis, has been quietly assembling a strong squad. The club will feel that this season they should take big strides on improving their recent finishes, and fifth place last season was (hopefully for the fans) a sign of things to come. Real Betis now believes that some of the required pieces of the puzzle arrived over the summer. Two names in particular caused the Spanish football observers to sit up and take notice, as Spanish international midfielder Gavião and former Brazilian international forward Edú joined the club. The two have already worked together at Cartagonova, and their addition to the squad, along with defender Matthew Altena, will make Real Betis a tough side to defeat home or away. Along the flanks, Enrique de Lucas and Mikel Aranburu, who have both played for Spain in recent times, will hope that they can impress with a good season and make it onto the plane for Argentina, if Spain qualifies. But current Spanish international winger José Antonio Reyes, a long-time target for Cartagonova, seems to be on the outer with the management hierarchy at Real Betis, and if they are to improve, they really need somebody of his calibre playing for them. Perhaps the weak point is the attack, where much will be put upon the broad shoulders of Argentine striker Pablo Islas, while Edú will be expected to support. It is difficult still to see Real Betis overtaking either Cartagonova or Barcelona, but a top four finish is not out of the question.

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 22 caps, 4 goals, DM C) from Cartagonova for £2.9 million

Jerome Foggarty (33 y/o, LIB 8 caps, 1 goal, S C) from Getafe on Bosman free transfer

Matthew Altena (26 y/o, NED 4 caps, D C) from Alavés for £3.5 million

Enrique Medina (34 y/o, ESP, D C) from Villarreal on Bosman free transfer

Iván de la Peña (33 y/o, ESP 36 caps, 6 goals, AM C) on free transfer

Edú (30 y/o, BRA 19 caps, 7 goals, AM/F C) from Schalke 04 for £12.75 million

Out

David Cañas (30 y/o, ESP, DM C) to Deportivo la Coruña for £1.7 million

Gastón Casas (31 y/o, ARG 8 caps, 3 goals, F LC) to Rayo Valladolid on Bosman free transfer

Claudio Andrés Maldanado (29 y/o, CHI 87 caps, 3 goals, D/DM RC) to Barcelona for £7.25 million

David Rivas (30 y/o, ESP 4 caps, D LC) released on free transfer

Agustín Moreno (22 y/o, ESP, D R) to Toledo on Bosman free transfer

José Luis Santamaría (17 y/o, ESP, F RC) to Real Vallodolid for £2.6 million

Gabriel Pereyra (31 y/o, ARG, M R) to Atlético Madrid for £1.2 million

Jorge Quinteros (35 y/o, ARG 2 caps, F LC) released on free transfer

Antonio Prats (37 y/o, ESP 5 caps, GK) released on free transfer

For three seasons in a row, Cartagonova has ended the season on top of the pile. Señor Flatline has successfully wrestled the focal points for success in Spain away from Madrid and Barcelona, and refocussed it on the southern port town of Cartagena. But in the close season, several player departures has left observers questioning whether Cartagonova has the squad to make it four in a row. Losing players like Gavião and Kristian Tanem would affect any club deeply, but losing both of them at the same time means that much is required of the players left behind in that position to step up and take the responsibility. Those that have been left behind seem to have been unsettled by the departures of these players, and intense speculation on the future of players such as Jaime Garrido, Martin Smith, Iván Vidal and César Cabrera, amongst others. Señor Flatline has added experience to his squad with Amoroso and Claudio López joining the club, while Spanish international striker Sabino returned to the club after spending some time with Real Madrid. The club also strengthened its defence, with defenders Rob Lauret, Anthony Loughran and Andrés Bressán all completing transfers to the club during the summer. Cartagonova still generally has a strong squad, but the big worry for the supporters will be how they will cope without Gavião and Tanem, and the instability that the constant transfer speculation has generated. Nevertheless, Cartagonova should be there or thereabouts at the end of the season, and they will be helped by the decision of Iván Vidal to effectively finish his career with the club after signing a new contract during the off-season.

In

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 11 caps, 4 goals, S C) from Real Madrid on Bosman free transfer

Claudio López (35 y/o, ARG 80 caps, 15 goals, AM/F LC) from Juventus on Bosman free transfer

Ricardo Verón (28 y/o, ARG 14 caps, 2 goals, M C) from Atlético Madrid for £1.5 million

Rob Lauret (24 y/o, NED, D C) from Willem II for £550,000

Anthony Loughran (27 y/o, ENG, D C) from Osasuna for £950,000

Amoroso (35 y/o, BRA 90 caps, 34 goals, F LC) on free transfer

Andrés Bressán (32 y/o, ARG 2 caps, D RLC) from Racing for £1.2 million

Out

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 22 caps, 4 goals, DM C) to Real Betis for £2.9 million

Moustapha Keità (29 y/o, FRA, D/DM C) to Extremadura on Bosman free transfer

Kristian Tanem (26 y/o, NOR 35 caps, 18 goals, DM/F C) to PSV Eindhoven for £9.5 million

Djibril Diawara (34 y/o, SEN 20 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC) to Badajoz on Bosman free transfer

Byron Bubb (27 y/o, ENG 3 caps, 1 goal, AM RC) to Liverpool for £3 million

Jesús (28 y/o, ESP, M RC) to Hércules for £3 million

César (29 y/o, ESP 24 caps, 1 goal, D RL) to Juventus for £5 million

Jean-François Gillet (31 y/o, BEL 29 caps, GK) to Gençlerbirligi for £1 million

Axel Wingård (28 y/o, SWE 5 caps, D C) to Sporting Gijón for £4.5 million

Ariel Carreño (30 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC) to Numancia for £5 million

Michel (33 y/o, ESP, AM L) to Hércules for £1 million

Many people have considered Celta Vigo to be a serious contender over the past ten seasons, but they finished a disappointing eighth last season, and the fans hope that new manager, Señor Eusebio, can build his reputation, based on managing to guide Hércules to promotion, by pushing Celta Vigo further up the ladder. He has wasted no time in signing players, with experienced pair of Martín Posse and Gaizka Mendieta joining the club on free transfers during the off-season. However, Posse soon left the club for Tenerife and the Segunda Liga, and it seems that the essential influx of talented and influential players has not happened yet for Celta Vigo, with the club signing two keepers and a player for the future in the summer. Only Nano, signed on a Bosman from Elche, gives the club hope that there is sufficient talent to mount a challenge on the top four. Much will again rest upon Spanish international striker Diego Ribera and South African striker Bennedict McCarthy, but their avenues of supply, notably Marcelo Gallardo, Francesco Javier Casquero and Jorge Pérez are on the wrong side of 30. The overall age of the first team itself is worryingly over 30, and many observers of Celta Vigo believe that the time has come for the club to rebuild its stocks and puts its faith in youth, sacrificing today for tomorrow’s success. At this rate, it might appear that the club’s critics have a point.

In

Nano (32 y/o, ESP, S C) from Elche on Bosman free transfer

Martín Posse (34 y/o, ARG 17 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RC) from Espanyol on Bosman free transfer

David Bravo (26 y/o, ESP, GK) from Racing Santander for £975,000

Emilio (30 y/o, ESP, GK) from Real Oviedo for £3.1 million

Juan José Belmar (19 y/o, ESP, D C) from Hércules for £210,000

Gaizka Mendieta (35 y/o, ESP 28 caps, 5 goals, D/DM RC) on free transfer

Gabriel Roth (30 y/o, ARG, M LC) from Córdoba for £450,000

Out

Óscar Suárez (21 y/o, ESP, M RC) to Gandía on Bosman free transfer

Jesús Gutiérrez (21 y/o, ESP, D C) to Langreo on Bosman free transfer

Mattias Asper (35 y/o, SWE 7 caps, GK) to Rayo Vallecano on Bosman free transfer

Quique Ãlvarez (34 y/o, ESP 11 caps, 1 goal, D LC) to Rayo Vallecano on Bosman free transfer

Raúl Vizcaíno (20 y/o, ESP, M RC) to Sanse on Bosman free transfer

Compostela is back in the Primera Liga for the first time in a long time, and it is a credit to the management technique of Señor Víctor Manuel García Ruiz that they have managed to make it, given that they are officially in bankruptcy with training facilities that are essentially the worst in the league. In an effort to trim the wage bill, the management released eight players - all veterans - on free transfers during the summer, while as little money as possible was spent in strengthening the squad. A big capture for the club was Paraguayan international defender Oriol Guarrotxena who will have to play a big part for the club in the coming season if they are to retain their status as a Primera Liga club next season. Evanílson is a much-travelled highly-talented experienced Brazilian midfielder who joined the club on a free transfer after spending his career in Germany, and he will add some bite and strength down the right flank. Michael Babangida and Iván Campo will support Guarrotxena in defence. The club will rely on players such as Ismael, Alberto and Pablo Piñones-Arce to score the goals for Compostela this season, but you can’t help but think that this club will struggle to remain in the top flight next season.

In

Michael Babangida (30 y/o, NIG 11 caps, D RLC) from Xerez for £150,000

Evanílson (33 y/o, BRA 60 caps, 1 goal, D/DM R) on free transfer

Ismael (34 y/o, ESP, S C) from Extremadura on Bosman free transfer

Oriol Guarrotxena (28 y/o, PAR 10 caps, SW/D C) from Cerro Porteño for £325,000

Rodri (33 y/o, ESP, DM RC) from Numancia for £240,000

Out

Ãngel Sánchez (32 y/o, ESP, M C) to Cacereño for £140,000

Sergio Corino (34 y/o, ESP, SW/D RC) to Athletic Bilbao on Bosman free transfer

Emilio José Viqueira (34 y/o, ESP, SW/D/DM C) released on free transfer

Jesús Seba (35 y/o, ESP, S C) released on free transfer

Óskar Vales (34 y/o, ESP, D/DM RC) released on free transfer

Alfredo (36 y/o, ESP, DM C) released on free transfer

Óscar (36 y/o, ESP, AM/F C) released on free transfer

André Luiz (34 y/o, BRA 1 cap, D/DM L) released on free transfer

Rachid Rokki (34 y/o, MOR 28 caps, 9 goals, S C) released on free transfer

Javi Navarro (35 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) released on free transfer

It’s now a long time since the heady days of the championship season back in 1999/2000 for Deportivo La Coruña and after the club fell on hard times and the star players fled for the bright lights of the big clubs around Europe, it’s been a hard slog back towards the top of the pile. And, in truth, Deportivo has failed to recapture past glories. Former Real Madrid boss, Vicente del Bosque, failed to satisfy the exacting demands of his boss, Señor Pablo Ferrer, in late March 2009, he was replaced by Señor Juan Manuel Lillo, who had previously managed Real Zaragoza and Sporting Lisbon. The club certainly has a good core of talent, particularly Spanish international defenders David Oliva and Iván Amaya, who regularly feature in Spain’s first eleven, while Ignacio Morán is tipped as the ‘next big thing’, and Kim Källström is an influential and exciting playmaker. However, somehow, various managers have all failed to make these combinations of players work successfully together, and after narrowly avoiding relegation back in 2007/08, Deportivo could only claw its way to ninth position. The players that have joined the club in the off-season are not exactly world-beaters, with Deportivo paying Real Madrid an extraordinarily figure of £8.5 million for under-utilised Russian striker Dmitry Bulykin, while Guilherme, a stalwart of Feyenoord, joined on a Bosman free transfer after the Dutch club released the veteran Brazilian striker. As always, there is a hint of player unrest, mainly focussed on the attitude of Ignacio Morán towards his fellow players, and unless Señor Lillo can manage to harness the talent at his disposal and put it to good use, he will be out of a job come next summer and Deportivo will have struggled to improve on their last showing.

In

David Cañas (30 y/o, ESP, DM C) from Real Betis for £1.7 million

Omar Johansson (28 y/o, ICE 58 caps, GK) from Antwerp for £475,000

Walter Benítez (23 y/o, ARG, D C) from River Plate for £650,000

Gilberto Del Campo Santos (29 y/o, PAR 26 caps, 6 goals, AM/F C) from Cerro Porteño

Emmanuel Olalere (29 y/o, NIG, F RC) from Jaén for £230,000

Dmitry Bulykin (29 y/o, RUS 48 caps, 15 goals, S C) from Real Madrid for £8.5 million

Cristian Matei (33 y/o, ROM 18 caps, D R) from Extremadure on Bosman free transfer

Guilherme (35 y/o, BRA 2 caps, S C) on free transfer

Luis Castro (26 y/o, ARG, GK) from Lazio for £625,000

Out

Víctor (33 y/o, ESP 2 caps, AM R) to Rayo Vallecano on Bosman free transfer

Sebastián Morquio (33 y/o, URU 33 caps, 1 goal, SW/D C) to Real Oviedo on Bosman free transfer

Mista (30 y/o, ESP 9 caps, 3 goals, AM/F LC) to Udinese on Bosman free transfer

Dennis Serban (32 y/o, ROM 48 caps, 5 goals, AM RC) released on free transfer

Omar Johansson (28 y/o, ICE 58 caps, GK) to Borussia Moechengladbach for £1.1 million

Antonio Sancho (33 y/o, MEX 25 caps, DM L) released on free transfer

Sergio Segura (31 y/o, ESP, GK) to Numancia for £6.25 million

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry it's been a while!

But I'm back to add more from Cartagonova... now! icon_biggrin.gif

Elche seems to be the archetypal mid-table club in the Primera Liga. Since winning promotion to the Primera Liga after finishing second in the Segunda Liga in 2001/02, Elche has never ventured higher up the table than seventh, and apart from a brief flirtation with relegation back in 2003/04 where they finished 16th, they haven’t really been considered a contender for relegation. To a large extent, that was due to a stable squad, and particularly a stable forward line with Nano and Pedro Adrián Guede scoring enough goals to guarantee safety. But both strikers have moved on to new pastures at the start of this season and many fear that this season of rebuilding may prove too much for manager Señor José Manuel Gutiérrez to handle and Elche could be sucked into a relegation dog-fight. Not helping their cause is the fact that the club has failed to invest any funds in the training facilities, and when in the market attempting to attract game-winning players, that is always a detraction. Therefore, it is little wonder that Elche have only managed to sign two players this season, while the list of players leaving extends to eight players. Elche will need to rely upon unheralded youngster Juan Carlos Garrido, untested Raúl Méndez and veteran Juanmi to score the goals this season, while Oscar Mascorro, easily Elche’s best player, will be needed to plug gaps that appear up front and down back during the season. It may be a long one for Elche’s supporters.

In

Javier Cappelletti (32 y/o, ARG 4 caps, D/DM R) from Central for £525,000

Juanmi (34 y/o, ESP, S C) from Ourense on Bosman free transfer

Out

Luis Helguera (33 y/o, ESP, M RC) released on free transfer

Jairo Castillo (31 y/o, COL 26 caps, 9 goals, S C) released on free transfer

Mario (34 y/o, ESP, DM RC) to Levante on Bosman free transfer

Nano (32 y/o, ESP, S C) to Celta Vigo on Bosman free transfer

Juan José Esteve (25 y/o, ESP, DM L) to Las Palmas on Bosman free transfer

Ramón de la Cruz (22 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Lleida on Bosman free transfer

Pedro Adrián Guede (34 y/o, ARG, S C) to Real Madrid on Bosman free transfer

Mauro Esteban Navas (retired)

While Espanyol could not hope to compete historically in terms of records with its cross-town rival Barcelona, it has done quite well in the past few seasons, with last season’s sixth finish equalling its best of the past ten years (set back in 2004/05). However, the trophy cupboard still looks a little bare, with only three Copa del Rey trophies to fill it, along with runners-up rewards in the UEFA Cup and the Copa del Rey, the last coming back in 2008. But the club has talent in many key positions. None more famous in Spain than Francisco Javier Zubizarreta, who along with Cartagonova’s Jaime Garrido, represents the next generation of Spanish talent. He will be looking forward to a good and healthy season before Spain takes off to Argentina in World Cup 2010, assuming the best country in the world (according to FIFA’s rankings) makes it out of its qualifying group. He is ably supported by Brazilian international attacking midfielder Thiago Motta, who ironically made the grade with Barcelona before shifting cross-town. However, while Espanyol look strong in midfield, they suffer in attack, being heavily reliant on former international striker Raúl Tamudo. Espanyol possess the stylish central defender Óscar Rodrigo, around whom the club can build a dynasty to last quite a few years. But the club cannot afford to compete with the likes of Cartagonova, Barcelona and Real Madrid, which they have threatened to do in recent years, without a decent striker, and the club could not entice one to come into the club over the summer. Without one, they will struggle to put the results on the board.

In

Liang Wang (30 y/o, CHN 13 caps, D/M LC) from Alavés for £600,000

Out

Sebastián Abreu (32 y/o, URU 31 caps, 8 goals, S C) released on free transfer

Martín Posse (34 y/o, ARG 17 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RC) to Celta Vigo on Bosman free transfer

Óscar Suárez (21 y/o, ESP, M R) released on free transfer

César Porras (32 y/o, ESP, M L) released on free transfer

Miguel Ãngel Soria (35 y/o, ESP 2 caps, SW/D RC) released on free transfer

Carlos Quiñónez (29 y/o, ARG, AM LC) to Atlético Madrid for £3.3 million

It’s taken Hércules the best part of seven seasons to finally achieve promotion to the top flight of Spanish football. After managing to make it out of the quagmire of D2B football, the club languished in the Segunda Liga, and finally it finished third last season to earn promotion. The club has actively looked for players with experience of the Primera Liga to make sure that its stay in the top flight is not too swift. Therefore, the additions of players like Michel and Jesús from Cartagonova are crucial to the performance of Hércules this season. The big squad (forty players in all) ensures that manager, Señor Carlos Tornadijo who was hired to replace the headhunted Eusebio, who now manages Celta Vigo, has a lot of choice when it comes to selection time. But the average Hércules fan must worry that there is a lack of talent running through the squad to ensure that the club competes with the high standard of the Primera Liga this season. Michel and Cáceres Cañete, the Paraguayan midfielder, will need to step up and take control of the play to ensure that the strikers have sufficient opportunities to convert into goals, otherwise it will be a quick visit to the Primera Liga for Hércules.

In

Pal Dardai (33 y/o, HUN 63 caps, 4 goals, M LC) from Extremadura on Bosman free transfer

Jesús (28 y/o, ESP, M RC) from Cartagonova for £3 million

Gorka García Sierra (17 y/o, ESP, GK) from Salamanca for £275,000

Khalid Rossi (26 y/o, MOR 5 caps, SW/D C) from Salamanca for £950,000

Michel (33 y/o, ESP, AM L) from Cartagonova for £1 million

Out

Llona (retired)

Yi Shang (30 y/o, CHN 37 caps, 12 goals, AM/F C) to Numancia on Bosman free transfer

José María Calvo (28 y/o, ARG, M L) to Real Sociedad for £1.4 million

Josemi (29 y/o, ESP, D C) to Córdoba on Bosman free transfer

Juan José Gutiérrez (27 y/o, ESP, GK) to Burriana on Bosman free transfer

Juan José Serrizuela (32 y/o, ARG, D/M R) to Segoviana for £450,000

Juan José Belmar (19 y/o, ESP, D C) to Celta Vigo for £210,000

It’s been fairly quiet on the incoming transfer front for Mallorca, with Señor Andoni Goikoetxea struggling to attract the type of player that will assist Mallorca improve on its poor fifteenth-placed finish in the Primera Liga last season. The most important capture in the off-season is Italian defender Matteo Ferrari, brought in from Cagliari on a Bosman free transfer to strengthen the back-line. Brazilian international midfielder Alexandre joined the club to bring some steel to the midfield, while Pedro Emanuel arrives to add some experience, albeit at a lower level than the Primera Liga. But the club continues to rely on the aging duo of Michel and Roberto Losada to score their goals, but neither player has been particularly prolific in their lengthy spells with the club. Sergio Castillo, at 34, is another option available. The supporting acts seem also relatively incapable of finding the back of the net, with veteran Norwegian striker Thor Hogne Aarøy spending most of his time in the Mallorca ‘B’ team, while José Ramón Madroño still trying to find his way at the tender age of 17. This worrying lack of ability in front of goal could prove to be Mallorca’s great failing this season and a return to the Segunda Liga is not out of the question.

In

Gorka García (34 y/o, ESP, D L) from Gimnástica for £220,000

Matteo Ferrari (29 y/o, ITA, D LC) from Cagliari on Bosman free transfer

Alexandre (30 y/o, BRA 14 caps, 1 goal, DM RC) from São Paolo for £650,000

Out

Tabaré Silva (34 y/o, URU 37 caps, 1 goal, D LC) to Ourense on Bosman free transfer

Youssef Chippo (36 y/o, MOR 45 caps, 1 goal, DM C) to Toledo on Bosman free transfer

Tony Grant (34 y/o, ENG 12 caps, M C) released on free transfer

Luis Alfonso (35 y/o, ESP, D C) released on free transfer

Nicolas Ramirez (33 y/o, MEX 63 caps, 7 goals, DM LC) released on free transfer

Asprilla (27 y/o, POR, F R) to Barcelona for £1.7 million

Txomin Nagore (34 y/o, ESP, DM C) released on free transfer

Numancia was one of last season’s surprise packets, and manager Señor Antonio Gómez is determined to make sure that it was not just a once-off. He managed to sign Cartagonova striker Ariel Carreño to bolster his attack, while Sergio Segura hopes that his move from Deportivo la Coruña to Numancia will push him into contention for a place as one of Spain’s goalkeepers for the World Cup. Alejandro Camacho is generally regarded as a bright prospect for the future, plying his trade out wide on the left wing, and at 19, many at Numancia feel he could mature into an international class midfielder. But the big decision the club took over the summer was to put aging but fairly prolific striker Óscar on the transfer list. Averaging around 20 goals a season for the past few seasons, he has been instrumental in Numancia finishing fourth last season, a big improvement on the mid-table 12th the club achieved the previous season. With a mix of experience, international class talent and promising youth, many associated with the club are predicting that they could maintain a run towards another Champions’ League position on the last day of the season, and after beating Greek club Olympiakos 2-0 in the first (home) leg of the third qualifying phase for the European Champions' League, there is no reason why they can’t fly the flag for Spain in Europe’s ultimate club competition this season.

In

José Javier Tejero (19 y/o, ESP, M R) from Getafe on Bosman free transfer

Yi Shang (30 y/o, CHN 37 caps, 12 goals, AM/F C) from Hércules on Bosman free transfer

Dan Anton Johansen (30 y/o, DEN 29 caps, D/DM C) from Brøndby on Bosman free transfer

Gabriel Loeschbor (32 y/o, ARG, SW/D C) from Sporting Gijón for £875,000

Samuel Sunday (28 y/o, NIG 8 caps, GK) from Real Sociedad for £400,000

Mikel Linares (20 y/o, ESP, D/M L) from Levante on Bosman free transfer

Milivoje Vitakic (32 y/o, YUG 12 caps, SW/D LC) from Red Star Belgrade on Bosman free transfer

Alejandro Camacho (19 y/o, ESP, AM/F L) from Tottenham Hotspur on Bosman free transfer

Raúl Santa (22 y/o, ESP, S C) from Sabadell for £750,000

Sergio Segura (31 y/o, ESP, GK) from Deportivo la Coruña for £6.25 million

Ariel Carreño (30 y/o, ARG 1 cap, F RLC) from Cartagonova for £5 million

Out

Ãlvaro Núñez (36 y/o, URU 37 caps, GK) to Badajoz on Bosman free transfer

José Manuel Rubio (24 y/o, ESP, D/DM R) to Málaga on Bosman free transfer

Agustín (32 y/o, ESP, DM C) to Sevilla for £1.2 million

Clarence Acuña (34 y/o, CHI 95 caps, 11 goals, AM RC) released on free transfer

Antonio Jesús Gil (22 y/o, ESP, F RC) released on free transfer

Rodri (33 y/o, ESP, DM RC) to Compostela for £240,000

Señor Enrique Martín is in a difficult position. On the one hand, there is the time-honoured mantra that no one player is bigger than the club, but on the other hand, when the club is Osasuna and there is a paucity of talented strikers, then it is difficult to relinquish the club’s best striker, Jurandir. However, the Brazilian’s contractual complaints has sown the seeds of discord in the squad, and other players are reportedly unhappy playing with him. Even in the most professional of atmospheres, these feelings inevitably affect the performance of the club on the pitch and its reputation off it, thereby discouraging other players from making the move to Pamplona. However, the club has managed to deal well in the transfer market, signing Real Sociedad defender Zuhaitz Gurrutxaga to team up with promising youngster Julio Navarro to bring strength and steel to the back four, while Albert Celades brings experience from his stint with Real Madrid to help the midfielders out. Senegalese defender Djibril Diawara spent some time with Cartagonova, and the club hopes that he has retained some of that championship-winning formula to assist Osasuna remain above that relegation trapdoor. All too often, the club has had to battle relegation and has finishes seventeenth on no less than five occasions in the previous nine seasons stretching back to 2000/01.

In

Silvester Sabolcki (29 y/o, HSV 2 caps, D/DM R) from Varteks for £150,000

Zuhaitz Gurrutxaga (28 y/o, ESP, D C) from Real Sociedad on Bosman free transfer

Rubén (31 y/o, ESP, GK) from Zamora on Bosman free transfer

Juan Francisco Suárez García (20 y/o, ESP, AM LC) from Vitoria Setúbal for £160,000

Joaquín Enguix (33 y/o, ESP, MC) from Sevilla for £160,000

Adão Abreu (29 y/o, CVI 2 caps, D/AM L) from Linense for £130,000

Djibril Diawara (34 y/o, SEN 20 caps, 2 goals, D/DM RC) from Badajoz on Bosman free transfer

Albert Celades (33 y/o, ESP 11 caps, DM C) from Lleida on Bosman free transfer

Luciano de Bruno (31 y/o, ARG, AM/F C) on free transfer

Out

Freddy Grisales (33 y/o, COL 36 caps, 2 goals, AM C) released on free transfer

Héctor (34 y/o, ESP, D R) to Toledo on Bosman free transfer

Flávio Conceição (35 y/o, BRA 33 caps, 2 goals, DM C) to Las Palmas on Bosman free transfer

Dani (34 y/o, ESP 8 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C) released on free transfer

Slobodan Slovic (34 y/o, YUG 4 caps, AM/F C) released on free transfer

Gonzalo Colsa (32 y/o, ESP, DM C) to Badajoz on Bosman free transfer

Anthony Loughran (27 y/o, ENG, D C) to Cartagonova for £950,000

It’s been a long time between drinks for Real Madrid. Only one championship in the last nine seasons, and a terrible finish of tenth in the last campaign. But the chairman has been extraordinarily patient with the current management team, and has even allowed manager Señor César García García splash the cash. The club signalled its intention to ‘buy’ the title after bringing in names like Walter Samuel, Joe Cole, Francesco Totti, Jukka Hakala, Pedro Adrián Guede, Sérgio Conceição and Hugo Colace for a combined £65.25 million. The club has also seen something of a broom go through, with many veterans like Edgar Davids, Matías Almeyda, Joaquín Bornes and Roberto Carlos all allowed to leave during the off-season. Anything less than the title will be regarded as a failure for Real Madrid and its legions of fans around the world, and with the club not even in Europe, the importance of the championship is magnified a hundred-fold. But the depth of striking talent appears to be Real Madrid’s one weakness, with the club happily content to rely on Rubén Navarro and Pedro Guede, with support from Mario Turdó and Kevin Franck. But an awesome midfield combining the talents of Ronaldinho, Francesco Totti, Joe Cole, José Chatruc, Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua and Conceição will be difficult for any team to handle.

In

Walter Samuel (31 y/o, ARG 90 caps, 6 goals, D C) from Roma for £11 million

Joe Cole (27 y/o, ENG 50 caps, 12 goals, AM C) from AC Milan for £38.5 million

Francesco Totti (32 y/o, ITA 100 caps, 21 goals, AM/F RLC) from AC Milan for £7.5 million

Jukka Hakala (31 y/o, FIN 49 caps, 3 goals, D C) from Barcelona on Bosman free transfer

Pedro Adrián Guede (34 y/o, ARG, S C) from Elche on Bosman free transfer

Sérgio Conceição (34 y/o POR 83 caps, 8 goals, AM R) on free transfer

Hugo Colace (25 y/o, ARG 2 caps, M RL) from Bordeaux for £8.25 million

Out

Isma (32 y/o, ESP, D C) released on free transfer

Iván Linares (20 y/o, ESP, D C) to Leganés on Bosman free transfer

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 11 caps, 4 goals, S C) to Cartagonova on Bosman free transfer

Iván Helguera (34 y/o, ESP 24 caps, D/DM C) to Recreativo on Bosman free transfer

Grillito (30 y/o, URU 44 caps, 5 goals, D/DM RC) to AC Milan for £15.25 million

Roberto Carlos (36 y/o, BRA 119 caps, 4 goals, D L) released on free transfer

Ortega (21 y/o, ESP, D C) released on free transfer

Dmitry Bulykin (29 y/o, RUS 48 caps, 15 goals, S C) to Deportivo la Coruña for £8.5 million

Matías Jesus Almeyda (35 y/o, ARG 70 caps, 8 goals, DM C) released on free transfer

Edgar Davids (36 y/o, NED 106 caps, 30 goals, DM C) released on free transfer

Joaquín Bornes (34 y/o, ESP 14 caps, D C) released on free transfer

Pablo Soto (21 y/o, ESP, S C) released on free transfer

For Basque club Real Sociedad, season 2008/09 was a watershed year. The club finished third in the league, a position that guaranteed a shot at European football this season - Real Sociedad leads Hapoel Haifa 2-1 after the first leg with the second to be played at home - and last season the club won the Copa del Rey 6-5 on penalties after Real Sociedad and Barcelona drew 3-3 in Madrid. Last season, the club had a squad that showed that these achievements were not flukes. Spanish international striker Joseba Llorenta was well-supported by veteran Alessandro del Piero, experienced Paraguayan international Alejandro da Silva, and Brazilian Rodrigo. Lithuanian striker Edgaras Jankauskas also played an important role in Real Sociedad’s success, contributing 17 goals in 30(3) appearances in his best season for the club yet. Apart from del Piero, who was released on a free transfer at the end of the season, Real Sociedad has kept this core group of players intact. But the manager, Señor Miguel Ãngel Casquero, has spent cautiously, with only £4 million spent on new players. Perhaps the most important is Argentine defender Marcelo Moya, who joined from Rayo Vallecano for £1.8 million. The cultured defender, who can play in any position along the back four, will be expected by the club to help marshal the defence, which includes Jamaican international Thomas Bridgwater, Canadian international Kevin Mofid, veteran Portuguese Agostinho, and Chinese international Mingyi Ji. The distraction of European football may see Real Sociedad take their eye off the ball in the league this season, but a solid squad should see the Basque club finish easily inside the top ten, and another top-five (or higher) finish is not out of the question.

In

Danilo Aceval (33 y/o, PAR 33 caps, GK) from Valencia for £400,000

José María Calvo (28 y/o, ARG, M L) from Hércules for £1.4 million

Marcelo Moya (30 y/o, ARG, D RLC) from Rayo Vallecano for £1.8 million

Out

Samuel Sunday (28 y/o, NIG 8 caps, GK) to Numancia for £400,000

Zuhaitz Gurrutxaga (28 y/o, ESP, D C) to Osasuna on Bosman free transfer

Alessandro del Piero (34 y/o, ITA 38 caps, 11 goals, AM/F LC) released on free transfer

Aitor López Rekarte (34 y/o, ESP, D RL) to Novelda on Bosman free transfer

Back in 2001/02, Sporting Gijón finished fourth in the Primera Liga and earned itself a shot at European Champions' League in the following season. But in the last few seasons, the squad has slowly unravelled, and the club could only scrape together enough points to finish a disappointing twelfth. The supporters are not happy, but hamstrung by insufficient finances, manager Señor Fernando Vázquez has not been able to bring in an influx of new faces to spice up the squad. Axel Wingård, fresh from falling out with former manager, Señor Dixie Flatline, for a second time, brings some much-needed steel to the back-line, while veteran striker Cristian Castillo, gives another option up forward. But, by and large, the club will rely on the same set of players that disappointed last season to do the business in the new season. Clearly, much will rest upon the shoulders of striker Francisco Javier Hernández, who was once a target for Cartagonova a couple of seasons ago. The 26 year old striker has struggled to prove himself as a player capable of scoring goals, with only 12 goals in 33(10) appearances for Sporting Gijón in the last two seasons. The club expects much more from a player with such talent. He will enjoy the partnership of Nicolás Pavlovich, while Cedric van der Gun and Marcelo Silva will support from midfield. With experienced Japanese international Yuji Nakazawa and the aforementioned Wingård in charge at the back, at least on paper, Sporting Gijón has a squad capable of challenging for Europe this season. But whether such lofty ambitions are realised, only time will tell.

In

Cristian Castillo (34 y/o, ARG, S C) on free transfer

Axel Wingård (28 y/o, SWE 5 caps, D C) from Cartagonova for £4.5 million

Out

Gabriel Loeschbor (32 y/o, ARG, SW/D C) to Numancia for £875,000

Javier Aguilera (21 y/o, ESP, M RC) to Don Benito on Bosman free transfer

José Antonio Ramírez (20 y/o, ESP, M L) released on free transfer

Urbano (34 y/o, ESP, D C) released on free transfer

Agustín Sola (20 y/o, ESP, AM/F R) released on free transfer

Pedro Munitis (34 y/o, ESP 39 caps, 4 goals, AM/F LC) released on free transfer

Barselleta (34 y/o, ESP 21 caps, SW/D/M C) released on free transfer

Valencia is another club that has flattered to deceive over the past few seasons. Ten years ago, Valencia was being talked about as a potential Spanish champion, and even the champion of Europe after former manager, Señor Hector Cuper, led the club to successive final defeats. But the club has begun to slide down the league ladder, and the fans are not happy that they finished in thirteenth place. Something must improve, otherwise Señor Frank Rijkaard, who took over the position in January 2009, will soon find himself looking for gainful employment elsewhere. The summer saw something of a clear-out, with veterans Gaizka Mendieta, Martín Palermo and Stefano Fiore all allowed to leave. But the club continues to pursue experience, with Miguel Ãngel Zepeda, Nicolás Ramirez and Björn Langeveld all signing for the club, and all either near or over 30 years of age. The future appears to rest on the shoulders of striker Óscar del Pino, while English defender Izzy Iriekpen and Argentine Matías Donnet look after the defence. There is certainly quality in the squad, but the over-reliance on aging players should concern those connected with the club. Unless a youth policy is pursued, the squad will continue to grow stale and success will be that much further away.

In

Miguel Ãngel Zepeda (33 y/o, MEX 77 caps, 8 goals, D/DM C) from Málaga on Bosman free transfer

Nicolás Ramirez (33 y/o, MEX 63 caps, 7 goals, DM LC) on free transfer

Björn Langeveld (29 y/o, NED 8 caps, D/DM RC) from Bolton for £2.7 million

Out

Danilo Aceval (33 y/o, PAR 33 caps, GK) to Real Sociedad for £400,000

Stefano Fiore (34 y/o, ITA 52 caps, 10 goals, AM C) to Atlético Madrid on Bosman free transfer

Manuel Santana (21 y/o, ESP, D RC) to Leganés on Bosman free transfer

Miguel Pascual (22 y/o, ESP, SW/D C) to Las Palmas on Bosman free transfer

Gaizka Mendieta (35 y/o, ESP 28 caps, 5 goals, D/DM RC) released on free transfer

Salvador Sanchís (21 y/o, ESP, DM R) released on free transfer

Martín Palermo (35 y/o, ARG 16 caps, 7 goals, S C) released on free transfer

Finishing second in the Segunda Liga was good enough to earn Real Vallodolid promotion into the big-time for another shot at cementing itself in one of the top leagues in Europe. It’s been somewhat of a roller-coaster ride for the club and its supporters since it was relegated back in 2003/04. Two seasons in the Segunda Liga was followed by just one season back in the top flight, and it took the club another two seasons in the wilderness before returning to the pinnacle. Señor Miguel Rubio knows that the pressure is on to make a good start to the season and immediately begin to shore up the battlements against the relegation dogfight. In Ariel di Lorenzo, the 28 year old attacking midfielder, who has only one Argentine cap to his name and deserves more, Real Vallodolid has a real gem. His role in the club as playmaker will be crucial as Real Vallodolid do not possess the star strikers capable of banging in 30+ goals per season. The summer saw a clear-out, with many 30+ players being released, but one player that did remain is Federico Lussenhoff, who has seen enough of Spanish football in his time with Tenerife, Rayo Vallecano and now Real Vallodolid to know what the score is. He, Diego Quintana and Francisco Guerrero will play supporting roles to di Lorenzo as Real Vallodolid look to consolidate their place amongst the elite of Spanish football this season.

In

José Luis Santamaría (17 y/o, ESP, F RC) from Real Betis for £2.7 million

César Esteban Pérez Vargas (24 y/o, COL 6 caps, SW/D C) from Junior for £600,000

Out

Cristian Castillo (34 y/o, ARG, S C) released on free transfer

David Aganzo (28 y/o, ESP, S C) to Real Oviedo on Bosman free transfer

César (37 y/o, ESP 1 cap, GK) to Toledo on Bosman free transfer

Delfim (32 y/o, POR, DM C) to Alverca on Bosman free transfer

Milan Milijas (32 y/o, YUG 4 caps, D R) to Real Oviedo on Bosman free transfer

Fernando Niño (35 y/o, ESP, D C) released on free transfer

Olivier Dacourt (34 y/o, FRA 4 caps, DM C) released on free transfer

José Esteban Yepes (37 y/o, ESP, GK) released on free transfer

The twentieth club in the league is still Villarreal. The club finished 16th last season, its worse in nine completed seasons, and it saw the removal of Víctor Manuel García Ruiz and his replacement by former Bayern München manager, Señor Ottmar Hitzfeld in November 2008. The German signed eight players in the off-season, but none would be regarded as world-beaters, and Villarreal is desperately crying out for somebody with that pedigree. So much is heaped upon the shoulders of Argentine playmaker Walter Gaitán, while Mexican international Cesareo Victorino provides much-needed support. There are big wraps on 21 year old Brazilian striker José Marío Moedim Júnior but he needs to convert that potential into results if Villarreal are going to stay afloat in the Primera Liga at the end of this season. Former Spanish international keeper Javier López Vallejo had a poor season last time out and he would like a crack at recapturing his place in the Spanish squad if Spain is going to go to the World Cup at the end of the season. His club needs him to stand up and use the experience gained in playing 43 internationals for Spain well. Otherwise, it may be a long season.

In

Gabriel Iván Heinze (31 y/o, ARG, D LC) from Boca Juniors for £575,000

Francisco Javier Castaño (36 y/o, ESP, DM RC) from Toledo on Bosman free transfer

Torsten Frings (32 y/o, GER 3 caps, D/DM R) from Nürnberg on Bosman free transfer

Jonas Wallerstedt (31 y/o, SWE 3 caps, AM/F C) from Norrköping for £500,000

Emilio Blanco (19 y/o, ESP, S C) from Hospitalet for £75,000

César Cruchaga (35 y/o, ESP, D RC) from Gramanet on Bosman free transfer

Bravo (35 y/o, ESP, D RC) from Atlético Madrid for £65,000

Víctor (35 y/o, ESP 1 cap, F RC) on free transfer

Out

Omar Rodriguez (34 y/o, MEX 54 caps, 1 goal, D R) released on free transfer

Enrique Medina (34 y/o, ESP, D C) to Real Betis on Bosman free transfer

Víctor (35 y/o, ESP 1 cap, F RC) released on free transfer

Anastasios Venetis (29 y/o, GRE 34 caps, 4 goals, AM RC) to Sevilla for £925,000

Francisco Javier Olmo (24 y/o, ESP, D/M RL) to Atlético Madrid for £1.2 million

That is all twenty clubs in the Primera Liga!

The league season begins with a 0-0 draw between Celta Vigo and Mallorca, while Deportivo La Coruña beats Real Madrid 1-0 at home, with Nigerian forward Emmanuel Olalere scoring the winning goal on 45 minutes. Two former Cartagonova players feature in the Real Madrid line-up, with Jukka Hakala forming the central defensive partnership with Walter Samuel, and Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua flying down the left wing.

International call-ups are announced in the evening with European World Cup qualifiers a fortnight away. Zlatan Muslimovic is part of the Bosnian squad to take on Sweden and Lithuania. Bojan Djordjic is in the Swedish squad to play Bosnia and Bulgaria. England picks George Clegg for its squad against Finland and Portugal. Scotland will no doubt require the services of Alex Notman as they play Northern Ireland and the Faeroe Islands. Wales calls upon Andy Owen to play Georgia and Spain. Denmark picks Martin Smith for games against Andorra and Albania. Ireland and the Netherlands will have to face Shimon Gershon as part of the Israeli squad. Norway requires Per Vener Rønning for games against San Marino and Azerbaijan.

Surprisingly, I’m not called upon by either UEFA or the Spanish association to make changes to the Spanish side, and with suspensions to José de la Rosa and Carlos Marchena, plus an injury to Ignacio Morán, I could have done with the opportunity to make those changes:

Goalkeepers

Iker Casillas (28 y/o, ESP 7 caps, GK): Real Madrid

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 5 caps, GK): Cartagonova

César Laínez (32 y/o, ESP 24 caps, GK): Barcelona

Defenders

César Cabrera (24 y/o, ESP 7 caps, D RL): Cartagonova

César (29 y/o, ESP 24 caps, 1 goal, D RL): Juventus

David Oliva (23 y/o, ESP 6 caps, D RL): Deportivo La Coruña

Borja (31 y/o, ESP 34 caps, D LC): Valencia

Iván Amaya (30 y/o, ESP 61 caps, 1 goal, D C): Deportivo La Coruña

César (31 y/o, ESP 52 caps, 1 goal, D C): Barcelona

Carlos Marchena (30 y/o, ESP 27 caps, D C): Celta Vigo (suspended)

Midfielders

José de la Rosa (22 y/o, ESP 6 caps, D/DM C): Barcelona (suspended)

Gavião (29 y/o, ESP 22 caps, 4 goals, DM C): Real Betis

Diego (30 y/o, ESP 23 caps, 4 goals, M/S C): Racing Santander

Jaime Garrido (25 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 11 goals, AM/F RLC): Cartagonova

Francisco Javier Zubizarreta (24 y/o, ESP 19 caps, 5 goals, AM/F RC): Espanyol

José Antonio Reyes (25 y/o, ESP 4 caps, AM L): Real Betis

Vicente (28 y/o, ESP 78 caps, 30 goals, AM/F LC): Roma

Forwards

Raúl (32 y/o, ESP 119 caps, 58 goals, AM/F LC): AC Milan

Ignacio Morán (22 y/o, ESP 3 caps, F LC): Deportivo La Coruña

Diego Ribera (32 y/o, ESP 18 caps, 8 goals, S C): Celta Vigo

Joseba Llorente (29 y/o, ESP 17 caps, 6 goals, S C): Real Sociedad

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 11 caps, 4 goals, S C): Cartagonova

So the sales of César and Gavião has trimmed the number of Cartagonova players in the Spanish squad to just four, but there are seven players in the squad who have represented Cartagonova at any one time - Iván Vidal, César, César Cabrera, David Oliva, Gavião, Jaime Garrido, and Sabino.

Spain plays Armenia at home and then travels to sunny Cardiff to play Wales. If we beat bottom-placed Armenia, then we qualify for the World Cup, and even if we drop two points but Wales stumbles on the road against Georgia, then we qualify anyway.

23rd of August 2009

Spanish Super Cup - 1st leg: Real Sociedad v Cartagonova

I’m disappointed after this game. Disappointed and not a little infuriated, especially by my captain, Iván Vidal. Things began so brightly when after just two minutes, we hit the front thanks to a great goal set up by Gary Mason and finished off superbly by Sabino. For the next thirty minutes or so, we dominate the game, but through a combination of poor finishing and good goalkeeping, we can’t add to our tally. We’re made to pay for such profligacy when on the stroke of half-time, up pops Joseba Llorente to deliver a pin-point cross to the advantage of Edgaras Jankauskas, who shakes his man just long enough to divert it past the static Vidal to make it 1-1 apiece heading into half-time.

On 56 minutes, Vidal makes a finger-tip save to deny Llorente and this is threatening to come apart for us. Rodrigo swings in the corner and who is there but Portocarrero, towering above my defenders to head home Real Sociedad’s second goal of the game. icon_frown.gif We’re back on level terms seven minutes later when Gary Mason thunders home a free kick from 25 yards after he had been pushed over by Guerrero. I bring off the tiring George Clegg and the workaholic Sabino, giving Claudio López his debut and Cherno Samba a run. But Real Sociedad take back the lead on 77 minutes when Joseba Llorente executes a brilliant overhead volley from Rodrigo’s cross, and Vidal is left flapping at air. icon_mad.gif Notman almost brings us level on 81 minutes, but his shot is well-saved by the Real Sociedad keeper and we lose the opportunity. On 85 minutes, Llorente takes the first leg out of our hands when he makes it 4-2 with a brilliant curving goal from out wide. We at least have the final say when Notman scores the goal he deserved on 89 minutes, and we have some away goals on the board, but a poor defensive performance generally, mixed in with some bad goalkeeping errors leaves a bad taste in my mouth at the start of the season.

Real Sociedad (4-1-3-2): Iker Ãlvarez; Ji, Moya, Portocarrero, César Prates (Slovak 61); Xabi Alonso ©; Rodrigo, Nadj (Guerrero 55), Da Silva (Nicklasson 71); Llorente, Jankauskas.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Lacruz; Mason; Djordjic, Garrido; Clegg (López 73); Sabino (Samba 73), Notman.

Final score: Real Sociedad 4:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Joseba Llorente

26th of August 2009

We are awarded £1.8 million for qualifying for the first phase group stage in the European Champions' League by UEFA. We are drawn in Group E with Galatasaray, Hajduk Split and Liverpool. The games start on 16th of September 2009 when we travel to Anfield to play Liverpool.

27th of August 2009

Panathinaikos defeats Porto 1-0 in the European Super Cup in Monaco this evening.

30th of August 2009

Spanish Super Cup - 2nd leg: Cartagonova v Real Sociedad

Needing to score the first goal to put the pressure back on the visiting club, we enjoy a good spell of early pressure but through poor finishing and good goalkeeping (a new mantra for us these days), we fail to make the most of our early opportunities. On 27 minutes, though, we achieve a much-needed breakthrough when Sabino leads César Prates on a merry dance before crossing for Notman to thunder home with his head despite the attentions of Marcelo Moya! icon_smile.gif On 35 minutes, Sabino should have done better with George Clegg’s measured pass, but the Spanish international’s header ends up in the rows behind the goal rather than in the net. Two minutes later, Real Sociedad gives Iván Vidal something to think about when Alejandro da Silva tests his reflexes, but Vidal responds superbly, turning the shot away for a corner. On 43 minutes, Gary Mason again impresses me when he is the architect for our second goal, scored by George Clegg excellently. icon_cool.gif That puts us ahead on goals and with half-time approaching, now would be a good time to defend stoutly. Unfortunately, my players have other ideas and proceed to fall apart completely. Joseba Llorente turns Gershon inside out before forcing a corner out of Vidal. Rodrigo picks out Xabi Alonso and the Real Sociedad captain gleefully accepts the chance. icon_frown.gif To make matters worse, Clegg’s pass goes astray and Llorente again waltzes blithely through my defence to make it 6-5 on aggregate. Again we dominate the second half, but to no avail as again we continue to squander good opportunities and are then thwarted by Iker Ãlvarez in Real Sociedad’s goal. Notman is particularly unlucky, with Ãlvarez saving brilliantly four of his five on-target shots for the game.

I have real concerns about my defence heading into the league season, but fortunately, only one team has taken full points from the first two games, with Numancia leading a host of clubs on four points. So the damage has been minimal.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Rønning, Gershon, Smith, Cabrera; Djordjic (Muslimovic 65), Mason, Garrido; Clegg; Sabino (Samba 65), Notman.

Real Sociedad (4-5-1): Iker Ãlvarez; Moya, Benito, Bridgwater, César Prates; Nicklasson, Rodrigo, da Silva (Nadj 75), Xabi Alonso ©, Fekete; Llorente.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:2 Real Sociedad

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 5:6 Real Sociedad

MoM - Alex Notman

Numancia’s lead at the table is in part thanks to a 6-5 thriller against Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu. Carlos Martins put Numancia in the lead on 6 minutes and former Cartagonova player Ariel Carreño extended the lead three minutes later. But Francesco Totti pulled one back on 17 minutes, only for Carreño to score his second goal on 29 minutes. Carlos Martins then scored his second on 39 minutes to make the score 4-1 in Numancia’s favour, but Dejan Stankovic ensured Real Madrid had a chance in the second half when he scored twice in four minutes to make it 4-3 at the break. Carreño completed his hat-trick shortly after the re-start, however, but Real Madrid fought back to make it 5-5 thanks to goals to Stankovic and Totti on 59 and 66 minutes respectively. Carreño then managed to have himself sent off on 70 minutes, but it was Numancia who dug deep to find the winner through Camacho in injury time at the end of the game.

4th of September 2009

I’m asked by UEFA to name the 25 players that will represent Cartagonova in the first phase of the European Champions' League. I respond with the following players:

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (30 y/o, ESP 5 caps, GK): 346(1) apps, 397 conceded, 28 MoMs, av. rating: 7.31

Davide Bagnacani (29 y/o, ITA, GK): 4(1) apps, 4 conceded, av. rating: 7.20

Jesús Martínez (18 y/o, ESP, GK): 0 apps:

Defenders

Shimon Gershon (31 y/o, ISR 53 caps, 5 goals, SW/D/S C): 188(4) apps, 7 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.19

Andrés Bressán (32 y/o, ARG 2 caps, D RLC): 0 apps

César Cabrera (24 y/o, ESP 7 caps, D RL): 67(7) apps, 1 goal, 16 assists, av. rating: 6.82

José María Lacruz (31 y/o, ESP, D RL): 209(6) apps, 2 goals, 11 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.63

Lilian Thuram (37 y/o, FRA 118 caps, 6 goals, D RC): 4(2) apps, av. rating: 6.50

Per Vener Rønning (26 y/o, NOR 18 caps, 3 goals, D/DM/F LC): 41(21) apps, 2 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.94

Martin Smith (31 y/o, DEN 42 caps, 1 goal, D/DM LC): 73(3) apps, 7 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.91

José Manuel Lasa (24 y/o, ESP, D C): 33(3) apps, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.11

Midfielders

Gary Mason (29 y/o, SCO 5 caps, 1 goal, DM C): 3(1) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, av. rating: 7.50

Andy Owen (24 y/o, WAL 31 caps, 9 goals, DM/S C): 0(4) apps, av. rating: 6.75

Ricardo Verón (28 y/o, ARG 14 caps, 2 goals, M C): 0 apps

George Clegg (28 y/o, ENG 1 cap, AM/F RC): 187(24) apps, 59 goals, 46 assists, 15 MoMs, av. rating: 7.38

Jaime Garrido (25 y/o, ESP 20 caps, 11 goals, AM/F RLC): 95(18) apps, 20 goals, 26 assists, 5 MoMs, av. rating: 7.45

Zlatan Muslimovic (28 y/o, BOS 54 caps, 24 goals, AM/F RC): 23(8) apps, 5 goals, 4 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.06

Claudio López (35 y/o, ARG 80 caps, 15 goals, AM/F LC): 0(1) app, av. rating: 7.00

Bojan Djordjic (27 y/o, SWE 16 caps, 1 goal, AM LC): 37(7) apps, 4 goals, 5 assists, av. rating: 7.10

Ola Otfors-Palmvqist (28 y/o, SWE, AM/F LC): 2(2) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.25

Juan Hernández (24 y/o, ESP 1 cap, AM/F C): 42(31) apps, 21 goals, 13 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.21

Forwards

Alex Notman (29 y/o, SCO 29 caps, 17 goals, AM/F C): 180(6) apps, 122 goals, 50 assists, 50 MoMs, av. rating: 8.12

José Manuel Redondo (33 y/o, ESP 5 caps, 2 goals, S C): 316(11) apps, 181 goals, 81 assists, 47 MoMs, av. rating: 7.77

Sabino (31 y/o, ESP 11 caps, 4 goals, S C): 12(9) apps, 7 goals, 4 assists, av. rating: 7.43

Cherno Samba (23 y/o, ENG, S C): 5(10) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.86

5th of September 2009

World Cup Qualifier - Group 6, Game 8: Spain v Armenia

We weren’t seriously under threat in this game. From the referee’s first blast on the whistle to his last, we completely dominated this game and the scoresheet reflects our domination. Garrido almost puts us on our way on 3 minutes, but the Armenian keeper does well to save his shot. But Zubizarreta makes sure we have the lead when he powers home Vicente’s excellent cross just a moment later. Then on 14 minutes, Iván Amaya manages to miss a simple opportunity, but Vicente is on hand to tuck in the rebound to make it 2-0 to Spain. On 27 minutes, Gavião finds Raúl unmarked in the area, and the veteran predator makes Armenia pay when he volleys the Real Betis’ midfielder’s pass home. The second half is more of the same, although we don’t quite have the radar set right, but we earn a gift of a penalty on 61 minutes when an Armenian defender handles the ball inside the area. Up steps Gavião to make it 4-0 and that is essentially that.

Spain (4-3-1-2): Laínez; César, Amaya, César, Oliva; Garrido (Reyes 75), Zubizarreta; Vicente (Llorente 75); Raúl ©, Sabino.

Armenia (5-3-2): Arzoumanian; Demanet, Zvingilas, El Khebir, Petrosyants (Quia 53), Algarate (Chan 64); Rakov, Kaplas, Manner; Djikia (Nkantchoum 53), Geworian ©.

Final score: Spain 4:0 Armenia

MoM - Vicente

In games involving Cartagonova players, Bojan Djordjic has bragging rights over Zlatan Muslimovic as Sweden take Bosnia apart 4-1 in Sarajevo. Braces to Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Hector Cures did the damage for the Swedes, while Edin Dzafic’s early goal did nothing to stem the tide. For once, Alex Notman wasn’t on the scoresheet for his Scotland, but they enjoyed a win nevertheless as a double from Willie Howie and another goal from Stephen Glass helped Scotland to a 3-1 win over Northern Ireland in Glasgow. Andy Morrow’s 51st minute equaliser gave the Northern Irish some hope of leaving Scotland with a point, but Howie’s two goals on 74 and 90 minutes sealed the win for Scotland. All Welshmen were thankful for Andy Owen’s 89th minute equaliser against Georgia as the match finished 2-2 in Tbilisi. Martin Smith played a competent game as Denmark thrashed Andorra 5-0 in Copenhagen. But Shimon Gershon had a disappointing game as Israel lost 2-1 in Dublin to Ireland. Per Vener Rønning played for Norway in their 4-0 win over San Marino.

Running quickly through the World Cup European qualifying groups, beginning with Group 1, Sweden and Turkey remain locked together on 13 points each after both countries notched up wins. Sweden thrashed Bosnia 4-1 on the road, while Turkey was made to do it tough against Lithuania but managed to win 1-0 in Istanbul. Estonia climbed back to the top of Group 2 after winning 2-0 against former leader Slovakia. The Czech Republic remains a point behind the league leader after winning 3-1 over FYROM.

In Group 3, and England’s chances of qualifying are looking increasingly shaky as they failed to take any points in a 2-1 loss to Finland in Helsinki. Daniel Sjölund and Teemu Tainio put Finland 2-0 ahead, and Chris O’Connor’s 88th minute goal was too little, too late for England. Greece edges clear of Portugal and England after beating Luxembourg 2-0 in Athens, but Portugal has a game in hand. In Group 5, Italy consolidated its lead after handing a 5-0 lesson to Moldova in Rome, while Yugoslavia remains in touch after beating Faeroe Islands 2-1 in Belgrade. Scotland kept a faint hope alive by beating Northern Ireland 3-1 in Glasgow. There’s little to play for in Group 6 with Belgium already qualifying. But Croatia remains in second place after easily accounting for Belarus 2-1 in Minsk, while Switzerland won narrowly 1-0 against Latvia.

In Group 6, a 4-0 win to Spain over Armenia meant the Spaniards qualify for World Cup 2010. The race for second place remains quite hot, with Wales currently occupying it by drawing 2-2 with Georgia on the road. Poland kept up the pressure with a 2-0 win over Malta in Chorzow. Cyprus lost the opportunity to overtake Russia in Group 7 when it was beaten 2-1 by Hungary in Budapest. Romania defeated Slovenia 1-0 on the road to move into third place, four points off the pace set by Russia. In Group 8, Denmark gave their fans something to cheer about in an otherwise disappointing campaign when they defeated Andorra 5-0 in Copenhagen. Ireland moved four points clear by beating Israel 2-1 in Dublin, while the Netherlands was upset 2-1 by Albania in Amsterdam. Finally, to Group 9, and France has qualified for World Cup 2010, by being seven points clear of second-placed Norway after eight games. France took three points on the road by beating Azerbaijan 3-1 in Baku. Norway defeated San Marino 4-0, also on the road, while in a result that matters little, Iceland and Austria drew 1-1.

“… In a surprising move, the German Football Association has sacked manager Ewald Lienan just hours after Germany thrashed Liechtenstein 5-0 in a friendly. Lienan guided Germany to World Cup glory at home in 2006, and to the semi-finals in Euro 2008. Since Euro 2008, Germany had convincingly won all but one friendly game, and their preparation for the defence of the World Cup seemed on course, until today’s shock decision. More on this as it comes to hand…â€

8th of September 2009

I’m forced this morning to issue a strongly worded press release denying that José Manuel Redondo will move to Real Betis in the winter for £1.4 million. Sometimes, I think the journalists make up these stories just to hear themselves speak!

Archived