Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Seeing that a lot, wide men getting the ball in plenty of space to pick a cross & taking their sweet time before getting closed down. There's gotta be something we're not seeing in the ME to understand it but it's sure annoying to see 

As above, Zaha could've driven forward & Wan-Bissaka could've at least tried for a cross to the CF 

I think players waiting / taking too long on the ball is happening all over the pitch. 

i made the point earlier after release about injuries but was only 1 game in with 2 injuries. so now 3 games in and 2 injuries 1st game. 1 second game, 1 third game so i would suggest so far nothing fixed in injuries in game.

i cant remember what someone said about lag but he stuttering is terrible while playing the game.

dark skin is terrible in parts as you cant see the sliders to slide up and down!!  who actually ok'd this ?

1 hour ago, bradjsmith said:

i made the point earlier after release about injuries but was only 1 game in with 2 injuries. so now 3 games in and 2 injuries 1st game. 1 second game, 1 third game so i would suggest so far nothing fixed in injuries in game.

Pay attention to your ass man training injuries feedback, that’s helpful to prevent them.

no, injuries have been toned down to decent levels. In the beta I had 16 injured players average, now around 3-5 which is somehow correct.

jadedness bug have been fixed too

3 hours ago, bradjsmith said:

SI fixing the injury bug doesn't take injuries away from the game. There is nothing unusual with the above scenario. 

Strange issue with the graphics. Before the last hotfix on FM 2018 I had no problems running the game... at all... Then after the last update something changed drastically and I couldn't get past the first loading page. One solution was to have it in minimum windowed mode which was recommended in the Bugs forum. I have only downloaded the Demo so far, but this problem insists on sticking around. So, naturally being a person who wants to get to the bottom of things I started going through all the options (again) - but this time I tried to disable the Nvidia Geforce 970m card and just go with the normal graphics... This fixed the problem. Now, what's strange is that every other game I have on the game runs perfectly with the Geforce 970m - from Counter Strike to Rocket League - everything runs smoothly as the computer I have should be one of the best for gaming on the market...

So, why does FM not run with Geforce 970m...? 

47 minutes ago, sponish1 said:

Still seems to be a issue with players always being tired? when ever i play a mid week game it seems i have 3 or 4 player who are too tired to play in the next league game

What kind of a preseason did you have? I find that if i give my players an aggressive preseason, i have no issues with players needing rest.

1 hour ago, sponish1 said:

Still seems to be a issue with players always being tired? when ever i play a mid week game it seems i have 3 or 4 player who are too tired to play in the next league game

43 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

What kind of a preseason did you have? I find that if i give my players an aggressive preseason, i have no issues with players needing rest.

Also, what do you mean by 'too tired'? Are you talking about condition being below 90%? Does the game say the players need a 'rest'? Remember your tactical set up can also have an influence on this. If you play an aggressive pressing game for the full 90mins in games, your players will tire quicker. There's a number of factors that go into this.  

Thought I would pass on some thoughts now we at full game and before I start my first non EFC save. Must say I'm still loving everything(almost) it's all the small things that are the outstanding things for me, like the dividers, don't ever take them away, I don't get the purple hate, I love it (though am colourblind). I'm loving the pressing forwards (see strikers don't score thread) and now have started to get to grips with training, I really like how it has a knock on effect in matches, I spent a lot of time tweaking training for specific oppo and it really does work, scouting overhaul outstanding, always remember to check the medical tab! Staff feedback extremely useful, I could go on but won't, but still a big :thup: from me.

Only have minor gripes, the 2 biggest being- in game some players are static as opponent runs past them (ME will never be perfect) and I seem to get a regular irregular teams warming up at end of match and have to quit game.

just got 2nd in my second season at arsenal, lost the premier to liverpool with 87 pts and us with 76, at the final season meeting i told the squad i was expecting to win the league next season, since we just got 2nd and 3rd had 71 points, the whole squad complained that my intentions were too unrealistic.... what a bunch of losers we just got 2st and they want to pussy out? ... ffs.

• SI Staff
8 hours ago, bradjsmith said:

Three games is nowhere near large enough a sample size.

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, sponish1 said:

It's probably not because you played that player 3 days earlier, but because you have been doing that all season. Fatigue doesn't come out of nowhere, it builds up over time. You need to plan ahead, run a good pre-season and prepare for periods of fixture congestion.

There is a UI bug for Pressing Intensity where "Less Urgent" actually means "Very Urgent".

I now question how accurate the PI and TI is?

Are there anymore UI bugs for PI and TI that the users should be aware of?  (for example lower passing actually meaning direct passing due to UI Bugs)

image.thumb.png.eb8986176f9d447912298faeb5c8d73d.png

3 minutes ago, kingking said:

There is a UI bug for Pressing Intensity where "Less Urgent" actually means "Very Urgent".

I now question how accurate the PI and TI is?

Are there anymore UI bugs for PI and TI that the users should be aware of?  (for example lower passing actually meaning direct passing due to UI Bugs)

image.thumb.png.eb8986176f9d447912298faeb5c8d73d.png

I don't see it as purely a UI bug. It's relative to other players in your 11. 

Pass completion rate is bad. I ran a test in Premier league and Man City has the best pass completion of just 80%. IRL they have someting close to 90%.

Also possesion numbers are bad. the best teams average something like 55 to 60% MAX while IRL they are close to 65%. 

This can be tested with a simple go on holiday and let the game run for 1 year. Some ME tweaks are needed to bring the passing numbers closer to reality.

Been playing the series for longer than I can remember and have to say on first impressions, Im really impressed. The layout of the game is fantastic and really easy to navigate through the screens. The match engine is the best yet and the new tactics system is really good and enjoyable. More to think about from game to game. The only negative maybe is the training. Seems a little to complex at the moment and will take some getting used to. 

Had to show a little screenshot of my last game away to Man Utd. Sanchez controversially sent off early on and a great comeback with a last minute winner. Very enjoyable. 

Screenshot (1).png

image.thumb.png.a24cd662c9d6c058e843f41daad6f5a6.png 

I wish one day we would be able to give the ST/AML/AMR/CD the freedom we give CAM/ML/MR/CM/LB/RB for PI

we need the "wide midfielder" role for AMR/AML where we are given complete freedom for PI

and another role called "Striker" for ST where we are given complete freedom of PI

Edited by kingking

Having played quite a few different saves, many matches and adjustments in tactics since release date, I now do think SI has to focus on passing directness in this ME. 

The ME is perfectly capable of portraying a possession based short pass tactic on a positive team mentality. It is even tweakable to  realise more directness but not overdone by switching off work ball into box.

An attacking team mentality however shows the most dynamic and spectacular side of this ME but it can not be tamed. Setting passing to short,  lower tempo and more disciplined still results in too many direct poorly executed passes. Even when most players are set to take less risks.

Pass into space in this ME makes things a lot worse. Players with preferred move "triest killer ball often" indeed try to try killer balls from every position on the pitch often without real logica.

The risk and reward needs to be tuned a bit in this ME and that can be achieved by adjusting the passing distance, and when players choose to neglect the first passing options when a better option is available.

Edited by Mensell76

21 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Personally, i'm finding the game intensely boring - whether this is owing to my tactics or issues with the current ME, i'm unsure. Think that with issues of this ilk, the answer is usually somewhere in the middle.

Problems i'm experiencing are broadly as below:

• Creative roles (advanced playmaker/roaming playmaker) have an infuriating fondness for long range shots and have almost no interest in attempting to play penetrative passes when in advanced midfield positions, which in turn results in strikers being redundant/receiving no service
  • Conversely, creative players are far too keen to play ambitious passes when in deeper positions; there's a real lack of composure and players with the 'tries killer balls often' PPM are effectively useless owing to their pathological insistence in whacking artless long passes forward; there's little patient, little craft and little intelligence.
  • Perhaps linked to this, central defenders are also far too keen to go direct, despite playing in set-ups that do no encourage this. This issue and the one above combine to ensure that passing stats are very low across the board (seemingly at around 5-10% lower than in FM18). Unsure if this is a consequence of players lacking composure when pressed or just a general, counter-instructive preference for direct football.
  • There seems to be very little subtlety; my players (fullbacks excepted, as ever in FM, they perform consistently well) rarely attempt to dribble in the final 3rd, attempt very few key passes, create very few chances and generally, play brainlessly and without quality.
  • All of the above ensures that goals are very, very heavily weighted to set-pieces, crosses and wild penalty box pinball; if it wasn't for rebounds from corners or the very generous number of penalties I'm awarded, I don't think i'd ever score. This makes the game awfully repetitive and for me, impossible to enjoy. On the very rare occasions open play chances are actually created, I find that the conversion rate is pretty poor (though the rebounds do go in more frequently but this just serves to annoy me more as it nullifies the assist).

Doubtless they'll be plenty, i'd wager either the more pragmatic amongst us and the self-styled tactical experts, who will refute much of the above but seriously, i've tried several set-ups and this consistently sums up the result. I accept that i'm a more quixotic FMer and I do have a very specific, very set way that I want to play but i'm far from a beginner in FM terms yet am really struggling to find any enjoyment whatsoever from this iteration.

For the record, I'm actually unbeaten heading into the winter break but have no interest in grinding out tedious wins every week without showing any adventure, quality or joy. It just feels so prosaic, so frustrating and ultimately, so boring.

You forgot to mention the boot the ball over the top again and again 😊

43 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Personally, i'm finding the game intensely boring - whether this is owing to my tactics or issues with the current ME, i'm unsure. Think that with issues of this ilk, the answer is usually somewhere in the middle.

• Creative roles (advanced playmaker/roaming playmaker) have an infuriating fondness for long range shots and have almost no interest in attempting to play penetrative passes when in advanced midfield positions, which in turn results in strikers being redundant/receiving no service
  • Conversely, creative players are far too keen to play ambitious passes when in deeper positions; there's a real lack of composure and players with the 'tries killer balls often' PPM are effectively useless owing to their pathological insistence in whacking artless long passes forward; there's little patient, little craft and little intelligence.
  • Perhaps linked to this, central defenders are also far too keen to go direct, despite playing in set-ups that do no encourage this. This issue and the one above combine to ensure that passing stats are very low across the board (seemingly at around 5-10% lower than in FM18). Unsure if this is a consequence of players lacking composure when pressed or just a general, counter-instructive preference for direct football.
  • There seems to be very little subtlety; my players (fullbacks excepted, as ever in FM, they perform consistently well) rarely attempt to dribble in the final 3rd, attempt very few key passes, create very few chances and generally, play brainlessly and without quality.
  • All of the above ensures that goals are very, very heavily weighted to set-pieces, crosses and wild penalty box pinball; if it wasn't for rebounds from corners or the very generous number of penalties I'm awarded, I don't think i'd ever score. This makes the game awfully repetitive and for me, impossible to enjoy. On the very rare occasions open play chances are actually created, I find that the conversion rate is pretty poor (though the rebounds do go in more frequently but this just serves to annoy me more as it nullifies the assist).

Doubtless they'll be plenty, i'd wager either the more pragmatic amongst us and the self-styled tactical experts, who will refute much of the above but seriously, i've tried several set-ups and this consistently sums up the result. I accept that i'm a more quixotic FMer and I do have a very specific, very set way that I want to play but i'm far from a beginner in FM terms yet am really struggling to find any enjoyment whatsoever from this iteration.

For the record, I'm actually unbeaten heading into the winter break but have no interest in grinding out tedious wins every week without showing any adventure, quality or joy. It just feels so prosaic, so frustrating and ultimately, so boring.

could not have put it better myself

49 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Just out of curiousity,  are you playing with the following settings:  

- pass into space, 

- high or very high tempo and

- counter 

- more expressieve

And do you have a playmaker with preferred move "tries killer ball often"? 

1 minute ago, Mensell76 said:

Just out of curiousity,  are you playing with the following settings:  

- pass into space, 

- high or very high tempo and

- counter 

- more expressieve

And do you have a playmaker with preferred move "tries killer ball often"? 

I'm playing with the bottom 2 options (more expressive and a pm with that ppm) but not the other 3 options.

26 minutes ago, Hasan_25 said:

Hey how do I customise the below? I have seen in streams etc that Reactions have been added but I can't seem to find a way to add this in where it shows condition, goals, ratings etc?

image.thumb.png.ef0437156c650ea92924dd6703a53298.png

It all depends on your resolution, the higher resolutions will have that as standard, there's nothing to add I'm afraid. If that's the highest resolution you have, you'd probably need to find a skin which has different panels in between the highlights. 

1 minute ago, fidelitywars said:

I'm playing with the bottom 2 options (more expressive and a pm with that ppm) but not the other 3 options.

Okay and what kind of mentality or passing directness? And I can totally relate to most observations you made but it seems to happen only with a certain combination of settings I suspect.

I have easily been able to create a 4-3-3 (ifl, dlf/s, ifr) short passing tactic with 65% posession and around 250 passes divided between my 3 mc's, very much controlling the game.  But  I was only able to realise that by switching off "counter" and choose "hold shape". Result: No long hoofs and a reasonable variety in goals (A lack of centerplay is my main point of attention in this ME).

Counter attack, direct passing,  pass into space and higher tempo's perhaps combined with players with pm "tries killer balls often" together result in an overleg direct brand of football in this ME, with too many simple mistakes or unlogical decisions.

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

Pass completion rate is bad. I ran a test in Premier league and Man City has the best pass completion of just 80%. IRL they have someting close to 90%.

Also possesion numbers are bad. the best teams average something like 55 to 60% MAX while IRL they are close to 65%. 

This can be tested with a simple go on holiday and let the game run for 1 year. Some ME tweaks are needed to bring the passing numbers closer to reality.

Agreed...following may be of interest... https://community.sigames.com/topic/454160-passing-statistics-very-low/

20 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

Okay and what kind of mentality or passing directness? And I can totally relate to most observations you made but it seems to happen only with a certain combination of settings I suspect.

I have easily been able to create a 4-3-3 (ifl, dlf/s, ifr) short passing tactic with 65% posession and around 250 passes divided between my 3 mc's, very much controlling the game.  But  I was only able to realise that by switching off "counter" and choose "hold shape". Result: No long hoofs and a reasonable variety in goals (A lack of centerplay is my main point of attention in this ME).

Counter attack, direct passing,  pass into space and higher tempo's perhaps combined with players with pm "tries killer balls often" together result in an overleg direct brand of football in this ME, with too many simple mistakes or unlogical decisions.

I don't select any of those options and I can't solve the long ball direct play. I don't have counter, be more expressive, play with shorter passing and a low tempo and I still can't achieve what I want. I can control the match, and even dominate with many shots on goal, but I can't create any ccc or hc. I also can't get success playing through the middle. The dominance of my goals comes from crosses, set pices, and corners. 

50 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It all depends on your resolution, the higher resolutions will have that as standard, there's nothing to add I'm afraid. If that's the highest resolution you have, you'd probably need to find a skin which has different panels in between the highlights. 

Thanks, I tried all resolutions and it did not work

2 hours ago, fidelitywars said:

i fully respect your opinion but am afraid its your tactics, am not even joking, if your playing boring football and your players arent doing what youve instructed, the fault lies at the managers feet.

22 minutes ago, Hasan_25 said:

Thanks, I tried all resolutions and it did not work

Must be related to your devices resolution then. My laptop is on 1920x1080 and it shows then, however due to issues with some Nvidia graphics cards, I've been forced to reduce my monitor's resolution down a notch to keep a smooth game engine, and because of that, it's now missing. Bit of a pain, but not much you can do other than try other skins. 

21 minutes ago, Bradley21 said:

Training is just a mess this year, i have no idea how to change it to what i want to do. Where is my option to focus on fitness or team cohesion? Instead i have a million blue squares and no options for these that i can see.

Training is tough this year, took a lot of working out. Here is a sample of where I am now, and now I have the hang of it ish, I am enjoying it, and it does work. You can see I have already started planning 2 weeks ahead, but I will chop and change on the fly. I also tend to work from matchday backwards.

image.thumb.png.6ef59f86cc4901a6c82d7b2e08b1d733.png

With the international break they will get mote time off, but I'm not showing you my whole repertoire, but the international break week I haven't touched yet so that's the kind of thing your seeing, easy way to start is to replace the general blue box training with something from that specific category e.g physical with quickness/endurance/rest.

Best advice I can give is DON'T go overboard on rest + recovery. But persevere and it's worth it. Some players will hate it, but if they are reasonable then try to accomodate why they don't like training, or get rid:D

2 hours ago, fidelitywars said:

Could you do me a favour. Set your team mentality to Balanced. I am playing on balanced since a few matches and I am seeing the most beautiful football I have seen from this ME thus far. It is a combination of tiki taka, direct play and solid defending so far. Extremely enjoyable. And yes, lovely goals by my IF's. 

Below is a screenshot of my tactic.

Balanced PSV.png

1 hour ago, iAlwaysWin said:

i fully respect your opinion but am afraid its your tactics, am not even joking, if your playing boring football and your players arent doing what youve instructed, the fault lies at the managers feet.

The "it's your tactics" guy. Knew it wouldn't be long before you arrived.

6 minutes ago, Sticx said:

The "it's your tactics" guy. Knew it wouldn't be long before you arrived.

Gotta love ‘em - arriving to demonstrate an inability to use apostrophes, spell or offer anything constructive but cheerfully there to let you know it’s all your fault. Bless.

16 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

Could you do me a favour. Set your team mentality to Balanced. I am playing on balanced since a few matches and I am seeing the most beautiful football I have seen from this ME thus far. It is a combination of tiki taka, direct play and solid defending so far. Extremely enjoyable. And yes, lovely goals by my IF's. 

Below is a screenshot of my tactic.

Balanced PSV.png

Of course - won’t get chance until tomorrow but will give it a go. Thanks for the advice.

Be a bitter pill to swallow if the ME is capable of lyrical, flowing football after i’ve just petulently hit out at ‘its (sic) your tactics’ guy, mind...