Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26/07/2019 at 13:08, scass said:

I wish I could say that is true. It isn't in my experience. In fairness, in some cases, it is actually fair enough - you buy a young player, do a good job on his contract, and he improves quickly enough to start to be a first team regular. I've noticed happening a lot, though, and it's not poor squad management - players are renewed eighteen months to two years ahead of the end of their contract, and given that I'm managing Man Utd, they aren't being paid peanuts. I don't know how you could possibly know that OP is guilty of "poor squad management", and it undermines any good sense - and there is plenty - in your post.

It doesn't need a massive adjustment, but it's an irritant. The game's not perfect, and pointing things out from time to time can only help, if anyone takes notice of it (as I think they do.)

re: contracts above. This is a major issue for me, as I mentioned a few weeks back on here in this post

None of them were kids who had broken through into the first team. If they were, their requests would have been justified, as you say. These were just three who complained at the time. At least once a month I have somebody asking for a new contract, regardless of who they are and it's just too much.

On 26/07/2019 at 13:12, scass said:

I'd add the unholy mess they've made of the scouting system.  Inbox stuffed with individual reports that weren't asked for, the difficulty of finding the scout, the difficulty of accessing assignment results: "I have found seven players", but only four displayed. I've just had thirty-seven - 37! - reports in my inbox, none of which were requested.

I was pulling my hair out with this also, as I mentioned in detail here...

They have overcomplicated a system that worked pretty well and I have no idea why.

If these were the only issues, you could make do but we all know they aren't. I'm not going to even talk again about the ME because it's been done to death but, seeing as they are no longer taking pkms and the bugs forum is effectively closed, I'm going to mention some of them here in my next post, even some that I don't really see mentioned elsewhere.

I just need to open up my folder with all the screenshots first so this may take a while

40 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

It is utterly nonsensical when a player moans that his additional training focus is having 'no benefit' when their attributes relating to said focus are seeing substantial gains.

I always treat it as integral to the game that you have to decide what to ignore, and what to act on: the assistant manager, for example, regularly talks nonsense about what traits you should discourage when they are actually beneficial tot he player, or what tactics to adopt. I don't think t's a strength of the game, but if you just had to click yes to everything, it wouldn't be much of a game.

10 minutes ago, scass said:

I always treat it as integral to the game that you have to decide what to ignore, and what to act on: the assistant manager, for example, regularly talks nonsense about what traits you should discourage when they are actually beneficial tot he player, or what tactics to adopt. I don't think t's a strength of the game, but if you just had to click yes to everything, it wouldn't be much of a game.

I get the sentiment behind your point, but what you've not considered is that their training objection is linked to their overall happiness at the club, which is factored into dynamics. 

Ass man nonsense is just white noise, player objections are far more problematic.

First of all, let's play a game of Spot The Difference...

20190528011133_1.thumb.jpg.fcd35bd764790fe3179bd65588d3426a.jpg20190528011142_1.thumb.jpg.37d7862847d9b08daaff72498dc74654.jpg

Didn't spot it? OK, let's try another one...

20190614103452_1.thumb.jpg.13345391f7f0dbc792d6ccdac17703f2.jpg20190614103459_1.thumb.jpg.703090deadc45966775c061c863609a4.jpg

That's right, they are linking us with the same player twice in the same sentence. I hovered over each one to show that it wasn't somehow two different players with the same name but actually the same player. And yes, I did actually click on the players to make sure there weren't two called Benjamin Thomas Davies.

OK, explain this one to me please...

20190627233519_1.thumb.jpg.5a518aca7184bab212b30b1fa2b73959.jpg20190627233538_1.thumb.jpg.b1bc797d59770e03c96e449663404004.jpg

The same player with two instances of promising him more football at the same time. I did see a bug thread about this but it was an old one. At least it wasn't just me this had happened to though.

Next...

20190602043458_1.thumb.jpg.c81d60f594da62d56a89cd7094826188.jpg20190602043611_1.thumb.jpg.9d5cc8c4f56cc1327d0a4f12ae13e9e2.jpg

A single buyout clause for a kid who had started to get games for me. Made sense to pay them £15,880 to buy it out, just a month before we'd have to otherwise pay £265,000. So I clicked on it but nothing happened, the clause was still there. I guessed I didn't click properly so did it again but it still hadn't gone.
When I looked back in my inbox, we'd paid this one off get-out clause twice but it was still showing as active, even after that!

OK, what's wrong with this picture?

20190707184048_1.thumb.jpg.2741ab9efb202839f7a36e22ae264388.jpg

And this one...

20190707184407_1.thumb.jpg.6f37345a370d9da3e21006a31c62ad98.jpg

If you look at the form 'bars' they don't match up with the actual results. I only noticed this as we were going into the final game of the season and I knew that Arsenal had been right up there with us for ages and not a side who, according to those bars, had only picked up 3pts in their last 5 games.
I hovered over those form bars for it to show what their actual results were, as can be seen in more detail here...

20190707184135_1.thumb.jpg.50e5f5c3cdc3dd74861262c172ec1484.jpg20190707184353_1.thumb.jpg.66737edd9a71162bb86257ca8edb813e.jpg

I have checked this again at different times since and not noticed it being wrong but it's not exactly something you would notice unless you were looking for it.

There are others which I've highlighted before on here and in the bugs forum e.g. the fans not being happy with our current 4-1-4-1 tactic/formation even though I hadn't used that for more than 3 months and results now were very good.

I'll end this with a last one I've encountered but not seen posted. More just an error than a bug really.

I was into my 8th season as Cardiff manager and there was an article about long serving managers (I think it was to mark my 400th game in management) and there was a link there to look at the longest serving of all time so I took a look.
This list shows some guy topping the list with 33 years at the same club!

20190717210549_1.thumb.jpg.8a883d8bd698b77db05d97d3b39a763f.jpg

So I took a closer look and all is not as it seems.

He's 66yo and started managing Atl. Tucuman in 1992, As it was 2025 in my save, that does make 33 years.
But he's also been around and managed lots of other clubs too, 16 in total in fact.

20190717210603_1.thumb.jpg.9d8179c52242ccbcbd9701366353fab0.jpg20190717210750_1.thumb.jpg.7fefaf52320e60f6687f8524a1de950d.jpg

It appears that, even though he's still listed as manager at Tucuman, he's not actually had a job since 2016

20190717210734_1.thumb.jpg.cb4617444509ab49435d943fae767806.jpg

What seems to have happened is that in FM they have him as manager of Tucuman in 1992 and that he has never left, even though he also managed the 15 other sides.
According to Wiki and numerous football sites, he didn't manage Tucuman in 1992 at all but then did become their boss in 2017.
Perhaps that's where the mistake has been made in FM. He should have been down as manager since 2017, after the 15 others, but instead he was inputted as starting at Tucuman in 1992.

3 hours ago, rdbayly said:

their training objection is linked to their overall happiness at the club, which is factored into dynamics. 

Yes, good point. Do you have a suggestion for how to deal with it?

10 часов назад, Earnie is God! сказал:

He's 66yo and started managing Atl. Tucuman in 1992, As it was 2025 in my save, that does make 33 years.
But he's also been around and managed lots of other clubs too, 16 in total in fact.

I raised the same issue in January 2019. Unfortunatelly there are no reaction from SI

902751761_Image4.png.5416d7849a3933e1cf5

Honeslty I want to choose ALL options in voting and add some new too:

• ME issues (no need to say details again)
  • Interface Issues like reset of my settings, some issues like in message above, issues in scout interface from FM18 and other and other. Actually all I detected was raised in bug forum months ago
  • AI tactical issues - very defensive styles of play, small tactical options, no passion and agressive in big teams, etc
  • Boring interview issues
  • Long days processing issues (it was more quickly before winter patch as I can see? :eek:)
  • Graphics and animations in ME (in compare even in FM15, lets see
    1230619430_Image1.thumb.png.4bed8de5146fb7a6fe71d37e7774ebba.png

• Stadiums in ME, stadium corners issue
  • Newgen faces and regen skills (huge pass and vision for newgen with BWM main role, tackles for Trequartista, etc.). Unfortunatelly I could not convince that there are need to close any random and if for example player has BWM main role - he needs to BWM skills at first, no random

There are need or skills for default role or AI training best role for current skills from 16 years-old.

443611660_Image6.png.3abcbb55cf12622b5f8

1264718032_Image7.png.110e046f7ffd2b8842

286134936_Image8.png.48b4d5d5282b755d258

1992294697_Image9.png.b45aff48c7ceeb7d72

But I choose IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding

Because I play in journeyman save at usual, and move to new clubs in 202x-203x years. FM19 much better in compare of FM18 about team management, but still strange staff issues like 3/5 employees are GK coaches.
MUCH BETTER transfer fixes in FM19 but still good players in cheap sales but nobody buy them (but there are linked with ME issues, because a lot of good players have a poor rating in games.

After I moved to new club in journeyman I still need to sell a lot of players, fired a lot of staff because AI management has no 'structural understanding' of of principles how it could be.

P.S. If my scout filters show me for example 268 players in new game with default DB

938940824_Image5.png.234cd29e462241afa5b

It's just 105 in 2024

1165381040_Image6.png.383571454bb8f8cad6

The same thing for ALL filters. There are no much good players in new generations because newgens are random at all.

In current FM newgens logic Robben could have been some defensive role, Aguero is CM for example and etc, because no real link between ROLE and SKILLS

Edited by Novem9

В 26.07.2019 в 5:14 PM, talhak сказал:

Press conferences do not annoy but feel repetitive. Also, player interactions with both the squad and transfer targets are needed to be improved in order to improve the feeling of 'it is not a simple machine in front of me; acts like a real person, I have not seen this interaction before', and interactions should vary through (1) the status (age, reputation, club status, etc) of the player, (2) status of the manager, (3) his or the club's overachievement and underachievement, and (4) the history of the relationship between the manager and player. For example, we should be able to say a youngster "This season could be your break out time, I'll give you a plenty of chance, make use of this opportunity". I strongly believe that this feeling is key in order to have a long standing and still exciting career in the game. Being able to see the 'human' side of being a manager.

+1

Also I dont like arcade mode in dialogues. Like 'FALSE ANSWER' and player doesn't talk with you.

C'Mon! Dialogue is a difficult thing with many chances to start again and find solution. Especially player has a good relations with you and want to play in club.

22 minutes ago, JeffDogg said:

Conferences and players interaction is the main reason I went from FM to FM Touch. They are useless and always the same, I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

They're not useless as they can impact player morale for example (morale can impact training - happy players train better - and is also a match engine modifier, so affects player match performance), but I agree it can certainly get tedious.

They feel useless because quite random. They don't feel logical enough for me.

For example, I never ever won a game by saying my players to do it for the fans. Even in big rivalry game. I lost every single games. Also, when you motivate players for a huge game and they are just disinterested. Ok it should be different for each players, but 98% of my motivational speeches (even as a well reputed manager) ended up in my players no giving a F.

Just my experience. But it was annoying enough for me to just go to Touch.

Edited by JeffDogg

1 hour ago, JeffDogg said:

For example, I never ever won a game by saying my players to do it for the fans. Even in big rivalry game. I lost every single games. Also, when you motivate players for a huge game and they are just disinterested. Ok it should be different for each players, but 98% of my motivational speeches (even as a well reputed manager) ended up in my players no giving a F.

I think you're talking about team talks and not press conferences, do it for the fans is the option I use most of all and I won plenty. 

On 26/07/2019 at 12:04, JeffDogg said:

Do you want FM20 to be a transfer update of FM19? Seems like it.

Not quite, but I think a lot of people, myself included, would be a lot more content if they spent a few years making all of the current features function perfectly rather than constantly introducing new features that don't work properly at the expense of the existing stuff. I mean, if they could do both then great, but the amount of bugs and updates each year says that they can't.

As for the poll, the most annoying thing for me is the mess they've made of the training since the update. It would be the international call ups, but that really only affects me for one match per year. It's the CL final so quite an important game, but one game all the same.

I've not had a problem with players determination reducing. Quite the opposite in fact, I've managed to get 6 or 7 of my current squad to be 'model citizens' through the mentoring system, it's just not as easy to 'game' the system as the tutoring was.

Player contracts, again no issue. I just tell them no, or put them off to the end of the season. If they don't like it, they can do one.

And I very much like the AI trying to play gegenpressing against me at the moment, I play a direct attacking tactic that aims to get the ball forward and exploit space, so they play right into my hands like that.

I REALLY wish clubs took situational context into account when pursuing transfers. 

I have a 5-star newgen LB/RB. A 19 year old wonderkid who is playing for the Brazil NT and already has the talent level to step into most European sides. Its a talent development save so I'm willing to sell anyone, but just don't want clubs raiding my players for pennies. So when United comes in for him, the first bid is obviously value 15m plus 2m (the frequency of those offers is another issue). I try to negotiate it up, they walk, player is upset, starts a rebellion, etc. United make several more offers and top out around 35m. I might have sold for 40m, but they walk. Have to have a players meeting, most of the players support me, and the player settles down. 

Right after he settles down, a news story comes out... Tottenham are going to buy him for 18m. So basically what I turned down from United on the very first offer. The player wanting to leave and all that was "in the public" so its not like the other club doesn't know. Tottenham make a bid, then Napoli for basically the same. Then Newcastle comes in with a bid several million below his value. 

These clubs "knowing" what was turned down from United then still making these bids is is basically like Arsenal getting laughed off by Palace with a 40m bid for Zaha, then having a 60m bid turned down, then Everton following up a week later with 40m with the same structure as Arsenal's bid. Like what do you think has changed in that week? 

Edit - literally as I post this, Liverpool bid 20m for an 18.5m rated DM, Barcelona offer 21m for "the new Neymar) who is worth 18.25 (150 CA 196 PA for context) and United made another offer for the LB/RB that is less than the last one I turned down. These aren't players who will move on Hot Prospect contracts and get loaned out - they will move for First Team or Key Player contracts and be stars. Why are these clubs only willing to look at these players as bargains? The last several players moved for 40m, including one who went to Arsenal for 60m on 225K pw to replace Ozil (literally transfer listed now). 

Edited by Bigpapa42

On 26/07/2019 at 09:42, yolixeya said:

Now you get a message when he is offered contract and you can talk to him to try to persuede him to stay but I didn't find that useful. If you just let him make his own decision he will often reject contract and stay. But also the coaches you are trying to sign they will agree to your terms but then extend contract with his club.

For me most annoying thing is players complaining whether is the new contract or about the training.

Yep, as soon as you talk to him he gets all huffy and tells you to basically mind your business as it's up to him, I just do what you do and let them either stay or go, plenty other staff out there.

5 hours ago, Tom8983 said:

Not quite, but I think a lot of people, myself included, would be a lot more content if they spent a few years making all of the current features function perfectly rather than constantly introducing new features that don't work properly at the expense of the existing stuff. I mean, if they could do both then great, but the amount of bugs and updates each year says that they can't.

This has sadly been the case for many versions now.
For some reason, it's been all about what new feature(s) they can add each year even though they know and have acknowledged that some of the ones already in do not work properly.
I can't speak for everyone but I would be confident in saying that more people than not would much prefer they concentrated on the current issues being sorted at the expense of the 'next big feature'.

1 hour ago, jc1 said:

Yep, as soon as you talk to him he gets all huffy and tells you to basically mind your business as it's up to him, I just do what you do and let them either stay or go, plenty other staff out there.

Agreed. This seems to have changed in FM19. In previous versions, there was a decent chance that some, I'm not saying all, would appreciate you taking the time to speak to them to tell them how valued they are at your club and they would respond with "don't worry, I'm not going anywhere."
I can't recall even one occasion in FM19 that this has happened and I'm into my 9th season at the same club now and we have been very successful yet their replies have almost always been "you will not influence my decision". Out of all those who have been close to leaving, and we are probably talking about 15-20 in this 9yr save, only one turned down the offer of a move and one more accepted my offer of a new contract and stayed but then the same nonsense of him leaving happened again roughly 6 months later and I decided not to stand in his way.

End of season and all the players reacted well to me telling them we are going for the title again next year.
But what's with this graphic?

20190728033314_1.thumb.jpg.4a62127f41fef504db88bd3b39c7cb5a.jpg

All players 'green' including 5 of them who all of a sudden have dropped to abysmal morale at the same time?

On 29/07/2019 at 02:01, scass said:

Yes, good point. Do you have a suggestion for how to deal with it?

As with a lot of feedback in Football Manager, you ignore it. Must be a nightmare for a new player to learn this game with your staff giving wrong feedback about personal traits, players moaning about training not benefitting them when you can see their attributes increasing and tips on loading screens being many generations out of date.

Edited by Tiger666

7 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

End of season and all the players reacted well to me telling them we are going for the title again next year.
But what's with this graphic?

20190728033314_1.thumb.jpg.4a62127f41fef504db88bd3b39c7cb5a.jpg

All players 'green' including 5 of them who all of a sudden have dropped to abysmal morale at the same time?

This happens every season for me and i'm now in 2047. 
I just ignore it and move on. There are no issues with the players, in spite of what it looks like. Pretty sure it's a bug.

14 hours ago, Earnie is God! said:

This has sadly been the case for many versions now.
For some reason, it's been all about what new feature(s) they can add each year even though they know and have acknowledged that some of the ones already in do not work properly.
I can't speak for everyone but I would be confident in saying that more people than not would much prefer they concentrated on the current issues being sorted at the expense of the 'next big feature'.

I suspect it's to do with sales - in fact. I'm pretty sure that @Hunter said this last year.  It's more likely to be more attractive to players who - for instance - don't buy the game every year - by saying "we have shiny new features which make the game different and better", than "hey we fixed that thing you didn't like."

I'm not saying it's right, or persistent faults aren't annoying, but I suspect that this forum represents a fairly narrow proportion of their customers, and it might well be that the things that annoy dedicated players just get a shrug from most people. I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone can give me statistics of how many people buy the game as opposed to how many people are on this forum, but marketing departments have priorities and it's probable that attracting new business is their priority here.

I'm not saying they don't pay attention to what is being said here, btw. Just that there's a bigger picture.

2 minutes ago, scass said:

I suspect it's to do with sales - in fact. I'm pretty sure that @Hunter said this last year.  It's more likely to be more attractive to players who - for instance - don't buy the game every year - by saying "we have shiny new features which make the game different and better", than "hey we fixed that thing you didn't like."

I'm not saying it's right, or persistent faults aren't annoying, but I suspect that this forum represents a fairly narrow proportion of their customers, and it might well be that the things that annoy dedicated players just get a shrug from most people. I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone can give me statistics of how many people buy the game as opposed to how many people are on this forum, but marketing departments have priorities and it's probable that attracting new business is their priority here.

I'm not saying they don't pay attention to what is being said here, btw. Just that there's a bigger picture.

You have a very valid point there, however any marketing guru will tell you that it is more advantages to keep an existing customer than to have to find a new one, and a lot less costly, so I don't know how that fits into this picture.

21 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

You have a very valid point there, however any marketing guru will tell you that it is more advantages to keep an existing customer than to have to find a new one, and a lot less costly, so I don't know how that fits into this picture.

They will retain the vast majority of their existing customers just by virtue of having the whole market share for this type of game.

36 minutes ago, scass said:

You've made some good points there (though I think you meant to mention @HUNT3R ;)).

From what I've read, sales figures for FM are consistently over 1 million, though I'm not sure if that includes figures for FM Touch and FM Mobile as well. Put into context, there are just over 325,000 members of the SI Community... but how many of them are still active AND play FM19? I'd be surprised if more than 2% of FM19's player base is on the forums.

Anyway, there seems to be certain groups in the community with different views on what they want to see in FM20:

• Those who mainly want brand new features
  • Those who mainly want existing features improved/tweaked (I'd probably be in this camp)
  • Those who want a mixture of new and improved features
  • Those who either don't mind or don't care

But there are also quite a few people who just can't be won over, no matter what SI do. If SI mainly take the new features approach, they'll go, "But why didn't they just improve what was already there? Have they even TOUCHED the match engine?" And if SI go the other way, they'll say, "But why didn't we get anything shiny and new? This is just FM19.5, isn't it?"

1 hour ago, CityAndColour said:

They will retain the vast majority of their existing customers just by virtue of having the whole market share for this type of game.

I for one would love to see some viable competition for SI but I can't see it happening

Isn't there like a problem here?

795680442_Sanstitre-1.jpg.c1cb3493a551ac8249c3eeadb454bbd6.jpg

(no idea how to clearly check the pk stats, taken/converted, so I checked  in the tactic analysis over the last 25  league games, since we played 21 this season and got 13 pks. If someone knows how I can get better pk stats, because I feel like I'm missing A LOT but I'd like to checked the actual numbers)

Edited by JeffDogg

3 hours ago, CFuller said:

You've made some good points there (though I think you meant to mention @HUNT3R ;)).

From what I've read, sales figures for FM are consistently over 1 million, though I'm not sure if that includes figures for FM Touch and FM Mobile as well. Put into context, there are just over 325,000 members of the SI Community... but how many of them are still active AND play FM19? I'd be surprised if more than 2% of FM19's player base is on the forums.

Anyway, there seems to be certain groups in the community with different views on what they want to see in FM20:

• Those who mainly want existing features improved/tweaked (I'd probably be in this camp)

But there are also quite a few people who just can't be won over, no matter what SI do. If SI mainly take the new features approach, they'll go, "But why didn't they just improve what was already there? Have they even TOUCHED the match engine?" And if SI go the other way, they'll say, "But why didn't we get anything shiny and new? This is just FM19.5, isn't it?"

Hit the nail on the head.

Had a tweet with miles commenting and pretty much said that the forums in general give off a negative view and that steam/twitter/social media and its critics seem to be positive or more. He's also said the people in the forums are minority compared to the playerbase which I agreed to but didn't think it was a huge gap (could be massively wrong without real figures or percentages). 

I find it hard to believe that people aren't experiencing the problems we seem to see as a whole in the forums or they just can't see it. I get that not everyone will experience the same problems but surely the updates would give the same ones to everyone else? or am  thinking too narrow/wrong minded??  Like I watch rashidi's vids and streams along with fm scouts and they both have different issues at times but also the same ones that also coincide with my save yet under different situations it's barely noticable (obviously excluding the "ME breaking tactics").

I'm sure i've said this a while ago but it seemed they went through a phase of releasing 1 fm and then improving the features and adding a few new bits for the next one and it gradually got better. Started from fm14 I think with the 3d designs (correct me if im wrong). 15 was similar but better (subjectively) and then 16 added new things, 17 got better due to that with some things. Then 18 (never played it but seen some games) got an upgrade and that's when 19 "broke the chain" as you will as it revamped alot of stuff and added alot more features. I'd expect 20 to be improved much like following the order AS I SEE IT (shown above) or adding more new things and trying to implement more features for realistic stuff along with improving/tweaing the stuff from 19. 

One more thing which worries me

I remember my nice save in FM10 (if not confusing). I play tens seasons and there are was a challenge every season. We literally win/lose trophy in last matchday in few seasons. Even if not, it was really exciting experience.

But at the same time it was easy to create tactical style which I want. And AI teams play varied styles. Results were logic and consecutive.

For real time it more difficult to create style which I want, but it more simple to win league because AI lose a lot of points in long distance like 38 matchdays. It sad for me.

Also in this old FM I didnt notice newgens issue. All newgens had nice faces and balanced skills as I remember. Really miss all these things and want to see again in FM series

Edited by Novem9

Something I meant to mention the other day, nothing major, just seemed a little out of the norm 

Pre-season 2027/28 & Liverpool have a testimonial for Mane for 11 years service & invite two of my players to play being ex-Liverpool

Cool I thought, I couldn't watch the match as I had a game the same day but I checked the post match screen. Neither of my players made the bench, Mane didn't either & Liverpool just put out a bunch of kids & lost. Seems Liverpool played it as a low priority rather than a tribute to a solid servant of the club 

Feel like centre back roles need some looking at. I think the "Brings Ball Out of Defence" concept could use some work for one. It's a great PPM, and I absolutely love when a centre back(or a full back which is a really underrated tool) has it. However, it seems to be incredibly hard to teach to players, or at least, my coaches never seem to think it's a good idea to teach it.

If you use a ball-playing defender you can tell him to dribble more, which seems to have a similar effect, and I think this didn't do anything noticeable in FM18 so that's nice. But then you're stuck with the risky passes PI, which I find can make a CB really wasteful with his passes particularly on higher mentalities. I think telling a player to bring the ball out of the defense should be possible at any time - it's a fairly common part of the modern game. Who cares if my player doesn't have the ability to do it? I find it can really change a tactic for a better, and if I choose the wrong players to do it, I should just be rightfully punished by the match engine - that would be my mistake. But I generally have defenders who are good on the ball and at the moment only have one CB with the PPM, which makes him feel almost irreplaceable at times when he's nothing amazing attributes-wise.

I'm thinking maybe the solution is, again, having a look at the centre back roles. Perhaps the default CB role shouldn't have any pis forced besides hold position? Or you could just get rid of the risky passes PI and turn the ball playing centre back purely into a role who plays the ball shorter, and then you could give them the instruction to dribble more/play out of defence. I imagine SI are also thinking about this, but there's also a lack of options for the wide CBs in a back three. I think a role that pushes into the final third here is an essential addition to the match engine. Perhaps a support duty variant that plays a bit more like Azpilicueta did under Chelsea's Conte, pushing into midfield playing relatively deep crosses from the half space. An attacking duty variant could be more like Sheffield United's wide centre backs who really can get forward into the final third. Just food for thought.

8 hours ago, CFuller said:

This and @scass earlier comment sum it up best I think.

We've got t o remember that the forum community here is also a self selecting demographic.  Users who aren't pleased are more motivated to come online and be 'vocal' about their displeasure, so the forums do tend  to give a negative impression to the outsider. The rest of us on here tend to be 'serious' users, who are here to gain a deeper understanding and discuss the finer points of the game itself. Of course there are one or two that buck the trend but those two camps are a broad-brush of active forumites. 

There is a huge demographic somewhere in the middle who just get on with playing the game without making any noise about it. This is where the revenue is for SI I would think, the 'silent majority'.

6 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Something I meant to mention the other day, nothing major, just seemed a little out of the norm 

Pre-season 2027/28 & Liverpool have a testimonial for Mane for 11 years service & invite two of my players to play being ex-Liverpool

Cool I thought, I couldn't watch the match as I had a game the same day but I checked the post match screen. Neither of my players made the bench, Mane didn't either & Liverpool just put out a bunch of kids & lost. Seems Liverpool played it as a low priority rather than a tribute to a solid servant of the club.

Yup, the AI seemingly treats it as a normal pre-season friendly and therefore will only pick players who need the match fitness.
This is what happened to me a few weeks ago, as detailed in this post...

Edited by Earnie is God!

I'd like to see clubs take into account team performance when loaning players.

Constantly getting "would prefer player x play with higher quality players" when I'm top of the league is frustrating, especially when clubs in the same division then have an offer accepted. Surely playing in a winning side and being involved in a promotion push would do more for a prospect's development than playing with players who have a slightly higher CA?

Whats poor about the tactic system in FM19 is the lack of description of what the tactic instructions do

People that read the description of what "Passing Directness" or "Time Wasting" do 

Still have to go to the SI Forum to ask questions and ask further questions.

its just poor quality of a game.

Its stupid when having a vision of how you want your team to play, but still struggle to understand how to implement it 

Edited by kingking

16 minutes ago, kingking said:

Whats poor about the tactic system in FM19 is the lack of description of what the tactic instructions do

People that read the description of what "Passing Directness" or "Time Wasting" do

still have to go to the SI Forum to ask questions and ask further questions.

its just poor quality of a game.

Where did the descriptions fail in explaining what each does?

7 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Where did the descriptions fail in explaining what each does?

For example Tempo is not clearly described... I still don't 100% understand what it means or even do

What is the difference between "Low Tempo + Direct Passing" and "High Tempo + Direct Passing?"

6 minutes ago, kingking said:

For example Tempo is not clearly described... I still don't 100% understand what it means or even do

What is the difference between "Low Tempo + Direct Passing" and "High Tempo + Direct Passing?"

You mentioned 2 other instructions, not Tempo,  but okay. To answer your question -

Both cases will see players pass more direct/forward. Tempo determines how quickly the ball is moved, as the tooltip in-game says. Lower tempo will see players hold onto the ball a bit longer before passing/shooting/etc, for instance.

16 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

You mentioned 2 other instructions, not Tempo,  but okay. To answer your question -

Both cases will see players pass more direct/forward. Tempo determines how quickly the ball is moved, as the tooltip in-game says. Lower tempo will see players hold onto the ball a bit longer before passing/shooting/etc, for instance.

Thank You for the description I get it now.

I just feel like the tactic and role instructions and descriptions could go more in depth because the whole system is vague

Some people do not go on the forum or website for football manager

Maybe implement a little "Tactic School" feature that

• Describes the pros and cons and of each tactic instruction and role
  • Shows a 3D or 2D match preview of what each instruction does.

For example

• Low press has a disadvantage of allowing the opponent more time with the ball.
Edited by kingking

I think the vast majority of people playing the game don't bother with forums concerning the game, they just buy and play. Hence why SI thinks most people are fairly happy with the game and how it plays, if only a small % come here to moan, they'll think nothing of it as it's not the majority.

I agree to @kingking to some extent. 

There are TI's and PI's that need better undertanding of what it does and/or better descirption. I'd say most are self explanatory but some aren't like passing directness- shorter/short we get it, standard on positive is a mix of both however using attacking it's "direct" and that's where the issue is. You're told its from back to front quicker so it works being quicker tempo but you can pass  short with quick tempo and still do whatever you think you can which goes against the description for attacking would confuse people. In this sense the mentalities need working on too or at least be specific and not cross over like how you can be positive but play counter attacking styles.

Same goes for the passing directness. We use the word "direct" on different occassions like the player running/dribbling more so than passing around for example but in this case it means "long ball". I think long ball would suffice better as it's the opposite to short for example: mixed, slightly long, much much longer. I was told when I first got it in the forums (thought there was a bug) that if you you do max direct then your players just through ball it into wingers... which is obviously not the case. 

Pass into space needs clarification, it's generally used to hit wide for wingers to run onto or over the top of the defensive line. I usually thought it meant passing between the lines and spaces where the CAM usually takes in order to do MORE through balls past the defensive line for your strikers/wide players but I noticed it happens more so when pass into space is off. Not sure if it's a bug/not working great or tactically inept for my style im playing (although it shouldn't be).

Last one would be move into channels. This has only been cleared up greatly by rashidi so thanks for that but yeah before the description is a bit meh. Basically speaking it's just your player moving into vertical positions your IF's would normally take up to stretch the game and pull defenders/midfielders out making room or even to pass to them. 

My solution to this is either change the description to a basic understandable format or add like a short animation/vid showing what either one does like the preset styles of play but obviously make it so that it opens and closes like the help guide so you can chose to switch it on/off. 

In my opinion there are too much own goals by keepers by bouncing at the back of their head into the goal, have seen 9 in one season, while i never saw this on tv. But i have hope for a new Engine.

Edited by WilltheWolf92

They should implement a "tactic preview" in where you can more or less without needing to see a match how your instructions combined with roles/duties would more or less look like in defence, transition, attacking and etc.

Then you could adjust Mentality, Shape, the PIs and TIs (maybe add/removing PPMs as well) and see it again to have a much more clear idea of what's happening and specially what you are trying to do and how it's actually unfolding in the pitch. Notes on how the roles and duties relate to each other on each phase as well. All to help you with much more detail of what things actually do, like a simulation.

This is what actually training sessions should also tell you, and what managers all see from them, but we don't have that here, you have to actually play matches, and to really see something very specific, in full, and over more than one match looking for patterns, which is incredibly time consuming and sometimes doesn't even really tell you for sure that's the problem.

I wanted the AssMan to be a little more active regarding individuals in specific matches as well, for example: Player A doesn't enjoy big matches, and it's looking nervous and may compromise in the match to come. Specific invidiual reminders/notes would be good to remember the manager of such things. That's why managers have assistants.

Maybe people who play since CM/02 or over a decade or whatever know the ins and outs from heart, but I really shouldn't feel I need to research Youtube and various topics to better understand some of the roles, Mentality, Shape, and how things really tie in together in a specific match engine. 

Like, some pages ago we talked about Team Shouts and there were various doubts and people thinking what it really does. Then someone directed me to the tactics forum, when there was a pinned thread about (in the Frequently Asked Question, from the 2017 version). Couldn't the game already properly and clearly tell you what they do? Did I really need to delve into a sub sub-forum in the official forums for such information?

Edited by Lanko

On 31/07/2019 at 09:59, herne79 said:

No, it really hasn't :D.

2.png

Haha I get that all the time! I just assume that his hidden stats have risen more than his determination has fallen, or at least created a better spread.

I noticed that I always sign Rabiot from PSG by free agent if my budget allows. I talking about sub-top teams.

Salary is 6,5-7 mln euro p/y and 'key player' status.

IRL top clubs like Barca, MU, Bayern and Juve tried to sign him, but in FM19 looks like nobody really care about him.

For example, 14 of July, but this man still a free agent!

406257753_Image1.thumb.png.938036743d1f93b59fade7749e3d1314.png

After a long, long break (essentially since shortly after the winter update with only minor experiments in the middle) I decided to return to playing (Thanks @herne79!) and with a fresh view and some distance I'm having way too much fun!

I think the main problem for perfectionists and some more casual players is the sheer overload of tactics to be presented with. It is easy to see the general ways of play and adapt from there. For example, Gegenpress is fun and popular and even has its own presets! So why not start from there and do some minor tweaks?

But when I returned I got hooked on evolving vanilla formations and like 90% of my problems are a thing of the past. More variety in attack, less dumb mistakes, a new appreciation for some roles. If I want Gegenpressing, I have a long preseason to slowly tweak it that way! Speaking of: Quick fixes really are quick and easy to do now. 

My remaining biggish problems are bad penalty conversion, one particularly nasty free kick exploit (thank goodness I already have my 30 game streak!), and opponents going into hyperdefensive panic mode too easily. 

Oh, and some bad kit colours. I had to abandon my Pauli save because their brown clashed horrible wIth some opponent's colours, making them barely distinguishable.

But that is something to work with which really makes me hyped for the next versions! Once reduced to the bare roles the engine can be pretty spectacular already. It is just some overdone presets or ones ill-fitting to players/formations that create plenty of messes. 

Counterpressing is too effective in it’s current guise, even players with low concentration, teamwork and workrate attributes will regain the ball too often. Even against much better teams it works too well.

Does FM still calculate possession via time in control of the ball rather than by passes? It seems as though there’s less instances of sides playing on lower mentalities having unrealistically high possession numbers but it still happens.

Another issue when playing against lower mentality teams is that it dies the feel as though composure is weighted accurately. Quite often despite how aggressively you instruct your team to press the opposition defenders can play out with relative ease.

For the sake of some balance the introduction of the LOE instruction is great and I’m really pleased with that