Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, damjanovski said:

IIs just me, or is someone else finding this game too easy? I often have games with Liverpool where opponents have 0 shots on goal. I have great team (Mpape, Bailey, Milinkovic Savic etc) but still Is it normal to beat everyone without any effort?

You're one of the best teams in the game to start with. You've then added more great players. You're basically playing the game on easy mode. 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Amarante said:

A think most people expect way too much. None of the bugs reported are what you will call high priority or game breaking. More like just annoying. 

There has never been correct me if am wrong, a regen face fix in any update. Thats only done in the next version of the game. 

SI it seems correct me again if am wrong, made a focus on getting the ME and trying to fix some of the problems it had or fine tune the ME as to reduce the problems.

FM has never had game breaking bugs just annoyances that is undoubtedly a low priority. I've stated it before and i will state it again, SI spoil us. All major game titles have bugs in it for years that have still not been fixed,you all want  a bug free game it aint gonna happen no such thing exists.  

Most of what you've written is very true about some sections of this community. Some people don't realise just how complex FM is, or that it is impossible to create such a game without any bugs.

I for one can tolerate most of the minor annoyances in FM19, because it is the most stable version yet and has (in my view) the most realistic match engine yet. I'm just disappointed that the inaccurate East Asian newgen faces have either (at best) not been addressed by SI or (at worst) been completely ignored. I would appreciate an official response from SI on the current state of newgens at the very least, and I'm sure quite a few other users would too.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Preveza said:

Huh? You mean Neil's post? Pretty sure CFuller's post is about regen faces. Correct me if im wrong :) 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Neil's post. He was replying to the AI question, not regen faces. 

38 minutes ago, Preveza said:

My bad man. Apologies for the confusion. I take Neil's quote back. 

In fairness I have said something similar to this about Newgen faces in the past, so you are correct - there is consideration to game speed/screen loading times which means there are restrictions on how much we can do with the faces. But it is always something we're looking to improve and refactor so it's less demanding. 

The scoring seems way too low for me.  Issue seems to be excessive amounts of shots on goal with low conversion to shots on target, with an even lower conversion of goals. 

I holidayed a quick mode to test something, top goal scorer in Premier League was Sadio Mane with 26 goals across a 38 game season....I'm also concerned that strikers don't assist enough.  For example in the mode I noticed above.  Sergio Aguero scored a miserable 19 goals and assisted 6 times. Those are more or less his stats at this point in the season.

I'm now running a new holiday to check on the major leagues running in full detail.  I'll report back to SI to show my results compared to real life scenarios.  Although I'm fairly certain they won't fix it *I understand it's a complex issue, and fixing one thing will break another*

But I'm fairly certain I'm not going to bother buying FM19 because of this breach in realism....This will be the second time in 3 years I've not been able to enjoy a game because of an issue that affects realism, and perhaps it's time for me to take a break after playing every year since CM 98.  Here's hoping that if my efforts don't help get us a fix for this yeats, then SI can at least fix it for next years.

2 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Neil's post. He was replying to the AI question, not regen faces. 

Unfortunately, you are incorrect. Neil did mention system restrictions as a major player in improving faces. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Appreciate you taking the time to raise this. I can't give you specific status updates from our end, but will try and and talk you through these. First of all, a number of these issues wouldn't be considered 'high priority' enough to potentially be listed in any changelist. So a fair number of these could well have already been fixed. Our approach is not to release comprehensive changelists as we want users to be able to read them and digest them - not make them overly complicated, tech or just heavy. If we're listing every pixel change or data edit the document would be extremely long (I think at last count 19.3.0 data changes were over 400,000). 

In regards to these listed issues, overall we would very much hope that every single one of these issues has been raised on the forums (or internally via our own test team) with examples. Hopefully any forum examples have a direct response from a member of our QA team at the very least - in some instances we may have asked for a save, in others it may have already been logged so we haven't. Either way, with the right info they will have been logged into our internal system. From that stage they will be priortised and depending on time availability and the complexity of the issue, will look to be addressed by the coding team.

Some are considerably more complicated than others which has a large bearing. Some are balancing issues where any 'fix' wouldn't be black and white - certainly the manager wages one falls under this, as does anything related to the match engine. Some unfortunately given restrictions to developer time or planned overhauls of certain areas won't be fixed for FM19.

We very much appreciate anyone who takes the time to raise an issue on our forums and hope that comes across. Every SI representative who posts on these forums has a very large day-to-day role within SI outside of posting on these forums. We don't have a single employee who has a sole job of just posting on these forums - even I spend the majority of my time working directly on the game. Everyone is either testing internally or hands-on with the code. So please bear in mind that during busy moments the reason why we can't immediately respond to an issue is because most likely we're trying to make the game better by working on what could be a bigger improvement to the game. 

For those of who are consistently providing useful feedback and bugs, hopefully we can reach out to you and get you involved in our internal Private Beta/Alpha testing program. That way for future versions you can get involved before the game is due for release, helping us create the best version of Football Manager possible. If anyone who feels they have contributed helpfully over the years but isn't part of our Beta team, you can feel free to drop me a PM explaining why you think you should be considered and we can certainly do so. 

If there are issues above that you spot in 19.3 where you don't think an SI representative has responded to a thread to say it's logged or under review, please do bump the issue or PM me directly so I can chase it up. We hope nothing ever gets overlooked, but we're not perfect and have never claimed to be. We know making FM the best management sim around is absolutely a collaborative effort and so much of that is driven by our passionate fans. We do really appreciate it (even when some people are a bit harsh or direct), but all we really ask is that people are respectful and constructive with their comments.

Thanks. 

Just out of curiosity, what was the core focus of the "fixes" part of this update? What was SI's main target on what to improve, so to speak? If I'm making an sense. Everyone usually has something that is their main focus, so in the case of this, what was it?

2 hours ago, MatthewS17 said:

Seeing a lot of talk about things not being fixed. Personally, all this is keeping me away from reinstalling, and I'm remaining at a distance.

So, to instill some confidence, and for balance. What have you guys noticed HAS been fixed?

From a person that's been critical of the game I can honestly say this is the best official patch they've given by some way. Attacking movement seems to be decent, passing seems to be more fluid and more realistic, fair amount of crossing can actually get past the defender now, long shots are toned down. So most of the major stuff has been considered and changed and slightly improved. Played half a season yesterday under 19.3 and can finally see myself getting back to it without having to throw my laptop across the room or going on sick anger tantrum. 

Their are still some issues but priority isn't at the highest order, set pieces and throw ins are the only major downside I can see atm as some doesn't follow your instructions. Central play has slightly improved but I often see my mid switching wide when there's enough quality to play through them but maybe because that's my tactic of a 4-1-2-3. 

Just give it a try and make the decision on your own imho. 

Is it possible that game is "setting the match =printing a score" ? I mean in I played with Villarreal and they are Valencia's rivals and I got 2 goals set as offside but in 1st one there is no way he is offside, in second maybe because they are in the same line but in this 1st goal there is so many players before him...

In this situation Paradizo scored a goal with a head and referee said it was offside there was no replay of game showing offside lines etc after that...

Offside 1.jpg

I feel as if individual quality of Players plays a way bigger role in this ME - destroying weaker sides in Cups but stand no chance against stronger sides which sadly is each Team in my league.

Started from League 6 in Germany and went up to League 4 (Regional Division) making comfortable 49 Points and a 9th Place last Season the same Team for lack of any meaningful Transfers due to a lack of Status and Players not want to hire with my Team therefore plus being unable to pay more but minimal wages for some most desperate Freelancers in the new season i have lost all but one game and have 1 Point after 8 matches.

Things look dire...

9 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

I feel as if individual quality of Players plays a way bigger role in this ME - destroying weaker sides in Cups but stand no chance against stronger sides which sadly is each Team in my league.

Started from League 6 in Germany and went up to League 4 (Regional Division) making comfortable 49 Points and a 9th Place last Season the same Team for lack of any meaningful Transfers due to a lack of Status and Players not want to hire with my Team therefore plus being unable to pay more but minimal wages for some most desperate Freelancers in the new season i have lost all but one game and have 1 Point after 8 matches.

Things look dire...

If true, that sounds unfortunate for your team, but good news for the game as a whole. It's been a long time complaint that since roles were introduced they often negated the difference in player attribute levels - tactics trumped everything. If SI have rebalanced a bit in favour of player quality that would be very good news - as long as it is player quality as measured by attributes and not reputation. 

(FMT player, so still waiting for the latest update)

Edited by rp1966
Typo

10 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

Things look dire...

I tend to agree with this, I was smoking all the tiers prior to the update, and i was off to a good start before the patch hit, then for the first time in like 10 years of playing FM i went on a a 10 game run without a win. We are still the worst side in the league, but now its become a game of trying to suss out where another team is weaker in and hoping we can take advantage of one failed attack by them so i can hit them on the break.  With my Liverpool side its an entirely different story, if i want to beat a side camping in their half i need to resort to some kind of brute force attack and take chances, hoping that my better quality can create quality chances. And there are even matches where i need to resort to a middle press just to draw defensive sides out so that i can hit them on the transition.

I actually have a friend who is planning a massive challenge that i want to track, he is going to manage some youth players and try and get them promoted from some really low league. I told him that's too much pain for me, but i am very interested in how he gets on. When FM19 first launched he was smoking the league and only having to deal with his players getting poached. Now though, i am itching to find out how he is going to do. If I am right, it's going to be very painful.

19 hours ago, XaW said:

My crappy striker have 5 in 8 in the new game I made on the new update. 

These are my results with a team predicted for relegation.

47RruWy.png

I'm using the same tactic I used with great success before the update. And don't notice a problem in goals scored.

However, I do agree the number of goals seems a bit on the low side in AI vs AI matches.

A couple Points:

- It's an ongoing "Issue" and no secret whatsover that human Players are capable of outperforming AI by amounts unheard of in competitive, real football. SI Code the AI that way. I'd argue in parts this isn't wholly ME based -- AI on Occasion can do Things that doesn't even suscribe to Team Sports Basics like going "yo everybody go Forward and flush the midfield empty" or "let's make life difficult for this lone Forward by isolating him from the rest of the Team completely" or "let's not Advance a single wide defender in a narrow Formation ever" etc. (which arguably should not be possible given what the game simulates)…

- in Isolation, the number of Goals tells naught! A Forward can underform at 25 Goals per sseason (Ronaldo last term), score as "expected" at 18 and score MORE than expected at 14 (Benzema given his role as primarily link up man when Ronaldo was at Real...). FM lacks superior data, but the shot Counts in each forward's profile should suffice some for the time being. You'd expect a top forward to average roughly a goal in every 4th to 6th attempt. For any Forward to consistently score he has to typically average at least About 4 attempts per match. The AI traditionally has been incapable of recreating such -- it's also "incapable" of making one Forward the focal Point of attacks, so that he BY FAR has the most finishes in a Team. If you would put columns into an AI team's Squad screen, Things would look like this, with finishes roughly evenly spread across the front line (and I doubt it has much changed all of a sudden).

czISU3x.jpg

Edited by Svenc

On 03/03/2019 at 04:21, Neil Brock said:

Appreciate you taking the time to raise this. I can't give you specific status updates from our end, but will try and and talk you through these. First of all, a number of these issues wouldn't be considered 'high priority' enough to potentially be listed in any changelist. So a fair number of these could well have already been fixed. Our approach is not to release comprehensive changelists as we want users to be able to read them and digest them - not make them overly complicated, tech or just heavy. If we're listing every pixel change or data edit the document would be extremely long (I think at last count 19.3.0 data changes were over 400,000). 

In regards to these listed issues, overall we would very much hope that every single one of these issues has been raised on the forums (or internally via our own test team) with examples. Hopefully any forum examples have a direct response from a member of our QA team at the very least - in some instances we may have asked for a save, in others it may have already been logged so we haven't. Either way, with the right info they will have been logged into our internal system. From that stage they will be priortised and depending on time availability and the complexity of the issue, will look to be addressed by the coding team.

Some are considerably more complicated than others which has a large bearing. Some are balancing issues where any 'fix' wouldn't be black and white - certainly the manager wages one falls under this, as does anything related to the match engine. Some unfortunately given restrictions to developer time or planned overhauls of certain areas won't be fixed for FM19.

We very much appreciate anyone who takes the time to raise an issue on our forums and hope that comes across. Every SI representative who posts on these forums has a very large day-to-day role within SI outside of posting on these forums. We don't have a single employee who has a sole job of just posting on these forums - even I spend the majority of my time working directly on the game. Everyone is either testing internally or hands-on with the code. So please bear in mind that during busy moments the reason why we can't immediately respond to an issue is because most likely we're trying to make the game better by working on what could be a bigger improvement to the game. 

For those of who are consistently providing useful feedback and bugs, hopefully we can reach out to you and get you involved in our internal Private Beta/Alpha testing program. That way for future versions you can get involved before the game is due for release, helping us create the best version of Football Manager possible. If anyone who feels they have contributed helpfully over the years but isn't part of our Beta team, you can feel free to drop me a PM explaining why you think you should be considered and we can certainly do so (which is a separate issue I've raised here). 

If there are issues above that you spot in 19.3 where you don't think an SI representative has responded to a thread to say it's logged or under review, please do bump the issue or PM me directly so I can chase it up. We hope nothing ever gets overlooked, but we're not perfect and have never claimed to be. We know making FM the best management sim around is absolutely a collaborative effort and so much of that is driven by our passionate fans. We do really appreciate it (even when some people are a bit harsh or direct), but all we really ask is that people are respectful and constructive with their comments.

Thanks. 

I appreciate your response! I was not expecting to hear anything until Monday so thank you for taking the time to reply. Let me preface this by again saying you guys do a great job and have made a lot of impressive improvements, and I understand you have a lot of work to do outside of these forums. All of this comes purely from a place of constructive criticism as I've put a lot of effort into logging these and other problems I find and want to continue to help make the game better for everyone.

If you can't give specific status updates on issues that are currently being tested are you at least able to tell me if any of the bugs I've listed as not reported fixed have in fact been fixed but just aren't mentioned in the changelist? I understand why the changelist that is tweeted out with the announcement is shortened, but perhaps many on here would appreciate a more in-depth changelist posted on the forums somewhere.

I'm confused by how some of these are considered too low of a priority when it seems other related or adjacent issues of much less consequence have been fixed. I will give three examples. First, the changelist mentions "Adjusted marking of players coming short for throw-ins," yet my ENTIRE throw-in set piece routine is still ignored and the players default to some generic positioning instead. This is something that I believe has been happening since release, and I logged it two months ago. I would argue this should be a priority bug as an entire tactical feature is being rendered useless.

Secondly, the changelist mentions "Fixed rare issue where some promises would incorrectly complete or cancel immediately after being made," yet there is no mention of fixing the very common issue where promises incorrectly are failed despite the manager successfully completing them, or being in the process of doing so. This is an issue that has been happening since FM17/18, but here is where I logged one example two months ago. I would argue this should be a priority bug as it can cause you to lose playoff games with a protesting squad that thinks you've failed to achieve promotion even though you're still in it, or force you to have to sell unhappy players who don't realize you played them in their preferred position/role literally 100% of the time but now they won't budge in their outrage. Worse still, this is something that catches you with no warning after a season of thinking things are going okay, and also it seems like something that would be fixable with the in-game editor, but it turns out it is not.

For one last example, the changelist mentions "Italian title and relegation decider games being played simultaneously" (thank you for this, I have raised this issue for years and am very excited to see it finally fixed!) and "Italian Serie B expanded to 20 teams from 19/20 season," showing that Italian rules are being looked at. However it is not reported that you've addressed the issue that causes you to be get stuck with back-to-back fixtures, which people have been reporting much worse cases of for ages but I reported my one instance here two months ago. Also, it was not reported that you've addressed the issue where the game does not follow the rule banning manager movement between clubs in the same league in the same season, which has caused me to miss out on multiple hirings because of the game only offering me the job immediately, but rejecting me when I ask to move at the end of the season to follow the rule. I reported this two months ago. It is also not reported that the Serie A transfer window end date has been fixed, which was reported at least two months ago (my save shows this is not fixed, but it may require a new save to appear, so it's possible it was addressed just not listed and I wouldn't be able to tell). I would argue all three of these are more crucial to gameplay than the final fixtures being played simultaneously.

I have done my best to bump issues that are not receiving responses, and have just recently followed up in some individual topics to ask if the new update addresses them. I will considering sending you a PM in the future should a bug posting again not receive any response for an extended period, which happens from time to time. As for becoming involved with Private Beta/Alpha testing, it's tough to predict where I will be in terms of work/family commitments, etc. come FM20, but this is something I would definitely be interested in participating in, as you can see I do spend a decent amount of time contributing to this sort of thing anyway when I can.

---

Edit as of 3 AM UK time, March 5: @Neil Brock I just want to make sure you saw my reply as it could easily get lost in this quick-moving thread. Do you have any insight on the issues above? Thanks!

Edited by Weston

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Etebaer:

Things look dire...

I decided i will not chase this challenge further - they kill me regardless what i do and i dont waste time on impossible Tasks.

May start a new one later from the start to see how it goes but this one save is over and done.

Edited by Etebaer

Most matches are low scoring affairs but I'm seeing an increased tendency for matches to get out of hand in this ME, when teams are heavy favorites.  I see the big clubs (Liverpool, United, City, Spurs) routinely scoring 5-6 goals at home against mid-table clubs.  And I've had an 8-0 victory against Luzern in the EL and a 6-1 loss to United in the PL.

United is on pace for over 130 goals in my current season which would blast the current PL record by at least 20.  Something is out of wack here.

Edited by jujigatame

I'm playing the 19.3 for a few Hours now. The ME is improved ,i like it. But what really gets me in the mood to hammer my head on the desk over and over again are the WIDE SHOTS and Free Kick goals . Seriously ? U can watch lower league matches and they hammer 30 meter shots in the net like they got skills like c ronaldo or messi . Then u check their atributes and u realize .. oh no .. finishing 6 , wide shots max 10 . 

This is FOR ME the only thing , besides the thousands of blocked crosses that needs to be fixed. If this wont be fixed .. i dont see myself playing this game for any longer.  We all know the "u got fmed" thing ... But it seriously makes no sense (not even talking about realism)  that low league players scoring like world class players. I would really like to get an answer from someone .. maybe @Neil Brock ? Someone please .  

Another thing is that i played 10 league matches with HSV now .. and ive got in every match at least 1 woodwork . often both team one or more. But i can live with it if the big issues (wide shots , free kick accuracy) will be fixed . 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

I'm playing the 19.3 for a few Hours now. The ME is improved ,i like it. But what really gets me in the mood to hammer my head on the desk over and over again are the WIDE SHOTS and Free Kick goals . Seriously ? U can watch lower league matches and they hammer 30 meter shots in the net like they got skills like c ronaldo or messi . Then u check their atributes and u realize .. oh no .. finishing 6 , wide shots max 10 . 

This is FOR ME the only thing , besides the thousands of blocked crosses that needs to be fixed. If this wont be fixed .. i dont see myself playing this game for any longer.  We all know the "u got fmed" thing ... But it seriously makes no sense (not even talking about realism)  that low league players scoring like world class players. I would really like to get an answer from someone .. maybe @Neil Brock ? Someone please .  

Another thing is that i played 10 league matches with HSV now .. and ive got in every match at least 1 woodwork . often both team one or more. But i can live with it if the big issues (wide shots , free kick accuracy) will be fixed . 

Thanks

The quality of some of the goals in the lower leagues, especially English is insane. There's plenty of goals that belong in far higher reaches of the game. I think it'd take a lot of people by surprise, maybe understandably. 

The big difference is the consistency and ability to repeat said goals at the same rate as professionals or elite stars.

If it's the same players, repeating these heroics then I'd say maybe your criticisms are fair... If it's one off wonder strikes, that's not beyond the realms of reality at all. 

9 hours ago, CFuller said:

I for one can tolerate most of the minor annoyances in FM19, because it is the most stable version yet and has (in my view) the most realistic match engine yet. I'm just disappointed that the inaccurate East Asian newgen faces have either (at best) not been addressed by SI or (at worst) been completely ignored. I would appreciate an official response from SI on the current state of newgens at the very least, and I'm sure quite a few other users would too.

Yes i do wish they are better, i use a FM creator 3d pack which is awesome! I think if FM was to use some really nice 3D faces we will need to up the system reqs

3 hours ago, Amarante said:

Yes i do wish they are better, i use a FM creator 3d pack which is awesome! I think if FM was to use some really nice 3D faces we will need to up the system reqs

Not necessarily up the system reqs, just scale the detail level to the processing power available. I can understand restricting the 'AI' processing for lower specs so that everyone is getting the same level of competition from the computer managers, but for graphics there is literally no excuse. It should scale all the way from the minimum level the game can run at all the way to proper gaming rigs. 

Official 19.3 ME "complaints"/inbalances:

- strikers still miss too many sitters, but to compensate keepers parry too many shots into the path of strikers (or whoever else is around the area). The result is sometimes a comical game of pinball where striker misses a sitter, keeper parries it back to striker, striker misses again, it falls to him again and then he finally scores.

- I've yet to see a player win the byline and decide to put in a low cross for a midfielder that arrives late to the area. Players who put in crosses only see the keepers box and fail to spot other unmarked players. However, midfielders score a lot from rebounds of parried and blocked shots...

- Finishing seems more accurate from slightly angled positions than from the penalty spot, it's comical. Wingers on a sit narrower instruction attacking the far post, are better than strikers on a central position.

- Morale and home/away factor feels too powerful, players will have magical surges of pace and anticipation when they're motivated. This leads to morale stacking up and causing a bit of a butterfly effect within a match, score a goal you score 5, the next day you concede 1 you concede 5.

- This has been a constant ever since the first release of '19 but the assistant manager team talk advice is beyond awful. The assistant manager wants me to be far too harsh on the players.

The good stuff:

- Overly attacking play seems to be punished a bit now, which didn't feel like it in recent MEs.

- As is well known, F9 and DLF/S movement is fixed.

Edited by noikeee

- Also still seeing too many passes wide that run out of play.

- The VAR interaction of "is the penalty in the box or out of the box" is always every single time outside of the box, it's pointless.

- The goal line technology interaction is also pointless, when it's shown it's never a goal.

- First time shots seem more accurate than players who have the time to control the ball before shooting.

Edited by noikeee

If the winter update is to be the last version of FM19 then I can't help feeling disappointed. I gave up on it after the last patch and now I'm giving up on it again.

I don't expect it to be perfect and I can forgive many things that others call game-breaking, but the 3D match still glitches occasionally, as if some of the frames between the animation have been lost, and, also occasionally, a rather gentle shot will still ricochet off my keeper like a guided missile. Niggles like these destroy any sense of immersion. and remind me that what I'm experiencing is, after all, just a game. 

As an aside, the winter update also causes my hi-spec gaming laptop to run extremely hot, resulting in the fan going nuts as well. 

I've given 19 more attempts than 18 but now I'm afraid it's back to FM17 for me. And I don't think I'll bother with 20.

I've never ever played a game as much as FM, but this year its difficult do enjoy the ME. I am brazilian and I play in the brazilian league

Just played a game in which, two times, my central mid received a clean, short, excelent pass, without pressure, and he had the option to pass to a completely free winger very close to goal. And the winger clearly was not offside

And both times the central mid just shot from distance. And both times it hit the woodwork. A really good central mid, with good vision and everything (and no shoots from distance trait)

Its just so weird. Its like through balls are forbidden. 

Unless, of course, its a play coming from a  throw in

And of course I won the game above 2x0 with two gols scored from long range

I only played 10 games after the new ME. I still have hope that after a while through balls will happen

Edited by AEJ

10 hours ago, Etebaer said:

I agree with this too, player quality is more noticeable now.

This is good, in previous ME there wasn't enough of a distinction between really good players and average ones.

The ref went to the screen next to the pitch to judge whether a player was offside or not, this is not in the VAR protocol. This is a decision a VAR will make without a on pitch screen review (except when there's discussion whether a player is 'active' offside, like Kane against Arsenal).

10 hours ago, Etebaer said:

Things look dire...

11 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I agree with this too, player quality is more noticeable now.

This is good, in previous ME there wasn't enough of a distinction between really good players and average ones.

10 hours ago, rp1966 said:

If true, that sounds unfortunate for your team, but good news for the game as a whole. It's been a long time complaint that since roles were introduced they often negated the difference in player attribute levels - tactics trumped everything. If SI have rebalanced a bit in favour of player quality that would be very good news - as long as it is player quality as measured by attributes and not reputation. 

(FMT player, so still waiting for the latest update)

10 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I tend to agree with this, I was smoking all the tiers prior to the update, and i was off to a good start before the patch hit, then for the first time in like 10 years of playing FM i went on a a 10 game run without a win. We are still the worst side in the league, but now its become a game of trying to suss out where another team is weaker in and hoping we can take advantage of one failed attack by them so i can hit them on the break.  With my Liverpool side its an entirely different story, if i want to beat a side camping in their half i need to resort to some kind of brute force attack and take chances, hoping that my better quality can create quality chances. And there are even matches where i need to resort to a middle press just to draw defensive sides out so that i can hit them on the transition.

I actually have a friend who is planning a massive challenge that i want to track, he is going to manage some youth players and try and get them promoted from some really low league. I told him that's too much pain for me, but i am very interested in how he gets on. When FM19 first launched he was smoking the league and only having to deal with his players getting poached. Now though, i am itching to find out how he is going to do. If I am right, it's going to be very painful.

This is all sounding very positive to me, especially if clubs start to hang on to their high quality newgens etc better - I would wager that a large proportion of the player base enjoy the squad building/xfer management aspect of the game a lot more than they do the tactical side. Tactics are important of course, but for too long it's been easy to 'game the system' with tactics and a few shrewd loan deals (as back to back promotions to the Prem with FC United proved)!

Have actually been toying for a few weeks with the idea of taking on the academy challenge and this has given me slight pause for thought.

Edited by optimusprimal82

Just thought - well, at least Man City and other big teams play good. Booooom, Barcelona lost Dortmund and Man City lost Napoli, both in 1/8 of ChL

FM spent A LOT of hours of my life, looks like I am free now :D (just try to find a good in situation). Not sure that I can back for fm17, fm12 or any other, because some modern features and improves too used, but... But :)

5 hours ago, noikeee said:

- strikers still miss too many sitters, but to compensate keepers parry too many shots into the path of strikers (or whoever else is around the area). The result is sometimes a comical game of pinball where striker misses a sitter, keeper parries it back to striker, striker misses again, it falls to him again and then he finally scores.

- I've yet to see a player win the byline and decide to put in a low cross for a midfielder that arrives late to the area. Players who put in crosses only see the keepers box and fail to spot other unmarked players. However, midfielders score a lot from rebounds of parried and blocked shots...

- Finishing seems more accurate from slightly angled positions than from the penalty spot, it's comical. Wingers on a sit narrower instruction attacking the far post, are better than strikers on a central position.

- Morale and home/away factor feels too powerful, players will have magical surges of pace and anticipation when they're motivated. This leads to morale stacking up and causing a bit of a butterfly effect within a match, score a goal you score 5, the next day you concede 1 you concede 5.

- This has been a constant ever since the first release of '19 but the assistant manager team talk advice is beyond awful. The assistant manager wants me to be far too harsh on the players.

The good stuff:

- Overly attacking play seems to be punished a bit now, which didn't feel like it in recent MEs.

I agree with all of this, especially the uselessness of strikers and the influence of morale and home advantage.  I think this is having something to do with the strange goal totals I'm seeing.  When a club is in good form and playing a heavy underdog, scores get out of hand far too frequently.  City is now on pace for 111 goals in my current season and United was on pace for 130 but now down to about 101 after having a couple of bad results.  I managed to score 21 goals in the Europa League group stage with Everton, and Dortmund scored 25 in their group.  Three other teams scored 20.  In the real-life Europa League this season nobody scored more than 18 in the group stage.

Something is really out of wack.  The average goals per game may be correct but the distribution is wrong.  It's like there are too many low scoring games with 1 or 2 goals, and too many blowouts with 6-8 goals.

3 часа назад, optimusprimal82 сказал:

I would wager that a large proportion of the player base enjoy the squad building/xfer management aspect of the game a lot more than they do the tactical side

Summer transfers window is my favourite part of game! Sometimes I played with a lot of money just to simulate a suggardaddy style in any club and rebuild a team  :)

29 минут назад, jujigatame сказал:

Something is really out of wack.  The average goals per game may be correct but the distribution is wrong.  It's like there are too many low scoring games with 1 or 2 goals, and too many blowouts with 6-8 goals.

Valencia won Monaco in my save 6:0 in ChL 1/8. In this FM the most powerful thing is fast attacks in empty space, especially in attack mentality. And sometimes one AI team find a exploit for tactic of another AI team. Or something like this. Well IRL it could happen too (Dortmund 4-0 Atletico Madrid), but in FM19 it's look unnatural for me.

51 minutes ago, jujigatame said:

I agree with all of this, especially the uselessness of strikers and the influence of morale and home advantage.  I think this is having something to do with the strange goal totals I'm seeing.  When a club is in good form and playing a heavy underdog, scores get out of hand far too frequently.  City is now on pace for 111 goals in my current season and United was on pace for 130 but now down to about 101 after having a couple of bad results.  I managed to score 21 goals in the Europa League group stage with Everton, and Dortmund scored 25 in their group.  Three other teams scored 20.  In the real-life Europa League this season nobody scored more than 18 in the group stage.

Strangely that's the one part of your post I tend to see the complete inverse of - United/City/Liverpool tend to dispatch the mid-level teams 4/5 goals at a time, and games between them often descend into high goal shootouts, but against the teams at the bottom of the division (Southampton/Brighton/Huddersfield/Newcastle) and a few teams that seem to play very defensively (West Ham/Palace) they tend to scrape through 1/2-0 or end up with a score draw. The results change in the cups when said teams obviously realise that they won't get through with just a draw etc. Running a test right league right now and;

City

image.thumb.png.3c74b54b187d250984cc172852cf44da.png

United

image.thumb.png.7fb677169ab7359343ce31301abba84c.png

Liverpool

image.thumb.png.c52574e44f7fefdc7dc7d47306d5243f.png

Chelsea

image.thumb.png.db0ed5190a8a9d8b6ef38c5650dc4221.png

Arsenal

image.thumb.png.580ded2d20cc086ae3252a6530db3373.png

Also notice how formidable Bournemouth are at the start? They've beaten all of the big teams as above except Liverpool who have yet to play them.

Data above is only from one season so a poor sample, but this trend is one I observed during the beta and seems (there's that word again) to have continued into 19.3 across the numerous tests i've already run. Haven't been capturing any of the data (mainly because it's a hassle with no quick export that I can see etc) but can always take a skim each season I get through and record it I guess. Tbh, I think looking at results like this is a little granular and we have to be careful in deciding what it is exactly we're expecting? The PL is incredibly unpredictable by nature so if the big teams were winning every time they played a lesser side we'd be complaining that they've amassed 105+ pts every season - the only reason I'm even looking at this stuff is because i'm intrigued by how the top sides results (may) have tapered off against the bottom sides since the beta etc, I'd say total goals across the league is up as a rule, but it's hard to get a read on the spread of that because whilst the average may be 2-3 a game, actual results can skew it a fair bit (and would require a much bigger sample and analysis above just raw statistics which tell only part of the tale)

Edited by optimusprimal82

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

- Also still seeing too many passes wide that run out of play.

- The VAR interaction of "is the penalty in the box or out of the box" is always every single time outside of the box, it's pointless.

- The goal line technology interaction is also pointless, when it's shown it's never a goal.

- First time shots seem more accurate than players who have the time to control the ball before shooting.

Haven't seen enough of VAR to agree or disagree, but I have had a goal that was given by goal line technology - although it's a rare enough occurrence that I was shocked to see the goal stood rather than be disallowed.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 02:19, Yasp0 said:

Since the new patch it seems way harder to score. Creating the same amount of chances but scoring way less. And my strikers cant score anymore... More people noticed this?

Yup I had 39 shots on goal for 1 goal and my opponent had 3 shots for 1 goal

16 hours ago, Rashidi said:

For me, that's excellent. As a lower league manager, I constantly find the challenge too easy, with promotions every year, or 3 years in 4. I keep trying to make the challenge tougher and am down to focusing on Academy Challenges, but even with using only 16-year-olds from my local village I still rarely struggle. I WANT pain! Bring it on!! :D

8 hours ago, noikeee said:

The good stuff:

Funny. After the update I was not able to get any consistency with my previous tactic which worked fine on 19.2. I switched and changed, trying everything possible an still couldn't get anything to work. There was games I'd win, and then lose the next one with my team not playing very well neither while winning nor losing. 

And then I said, **** it, and created gegenpressing on attacking mentality and from there we went on an unbeaten run to finish the season and secure Europa League spot. Not just unbeaten run, but bossing the games. So now, I decided to stick with it for next season and see how it goes. And just to be clear, I'm not playing with some powerhouse club, I'm HSV entering my 6th season. Previous positions in 1.Bundesliga were 15th, 7th, 3rd, 6th.

On 02/03/2019 at 20:20, DazRTaylor said:

I have found a new bug in the game, that wasn't there in 19.2.3.

I like to play from the bottom tier of any given league and work my way up.  As a result, I holidayed in England until 24 June 2019 and saved.  I then holidayed for one day, seeing if any promoted teams interested me.  If not, I reload and holiday for a day again.  Usually, they change for each save and you keep going until you get a club you want.  Each and every occasion, the promoted teams are Warrington, Kettering, Lancaster, Hendon, Salisbury & Dorking Wanderers.  They never change.

So I tried with the Dutch league.  I holidayed for two seasons (as no relegation in the first season) and each and every time I reload, I get Rijnburgse Boys.

So, is this a bug?  Or do you now simulate the results for the non visible tiers so no matter how often you reload, the promoted teams are fixed?

So I have more information on this as I have been testing the game.

In England, if you holiday until 1 May 2019 and then save, then holiday to 25 June, the teams will be random each time and not fixed.  I firstly tried 1 April and they were random.  Then I tried 1 June and they were fixed.  So at sometime in May, they change from random to fixed.

@Neil Brockis there any information on this please?  This affects some of the challenges in a big way.

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

So I have more information on this as I have been testing the game.

In England, if you holiday until 1 May 2019 and then save, then holiday to 25 June, the teams will be random each time and not fixed.  I firstly tried 1 April and they were random.  Then I tried 1 June and they were fixed.  So at sometime in May, they change from random to fixed.

@Neil Brockis there any information on this please?  This affects some of the challenges in a big way.

Raise it ideally with a save game in the bugs forum and our QA team can investigate. As far as I'm aware it hasn't been made fixed.