Creating a 5-2-3

Good evening,

I've been trying to create a 5-2-3 for a while now, but I can't get it to work. The biggest problem is creating chances, defensively we are quite good. Last season we were 5th in the league if I sort on goals received despite finishing 14th. 
I started at balanced, but switched to positive to get a more attacking mindset and more forward thinking. I wanted to create a tactic based on controlling the match and possession, but that might be a plan for the longer term. If I look at the team comparison we're a team above average. Only on decisions we're quite low, but in my basic team decision making is decent. 

Here's my tactic:

774404245_AlmereCityFC_Overzicht-2.thumb.png.2e19506eb88f1d2a3c643e69c88c71e7.png

The idea is that the AP comes inside and drop back a little. The WB(a) and CM(a) should overlap. The IF(a) and the CM(a) should be the main goal threats. 
I'm still struggling with the striker role. 
The out of possession instructions might be a little extreme for this level. I'm already experimenting with a less higher LOE and Defensive line, but so far no real results. 

Any obvious mistakes? As I said the problem is that we fail in creating chances.

1 hour ago, Jommelb said:

The out of possession instructions might be a little extreme for this level

Yes, they are extreme. This kind of defensive setup would be risky even for most EPL teams, let alone a lower league. 

Another defensive issue is the exposure of your right flank, where you have a WB on attack duty and his CM also on attack. The left flank looks much better and more balanced.

1 hour ago, Jommelb said:

I'm still struggling with the striker role

F9 is a great role, provided your striker has the right attributes (and this pertains to any other role within a tactic). For what you want to achieve, a DLF on support can also be a good choice (again depending on the type of player) or even a PF on support (if your striker is a more physical than technical type of player).

Thanks for your response. I know my right flank is quite exposed, but I need some width there (WB) and I also want penetration from the midfield. If I switch the midfield roles the CM(a) and IF(a) will end up in the same area's. 

Any ideas on how to create more chances? My problem isn't the defensive, but the attacking part.

8 hours ago, Jommelb said:

I know my right flank is quite exposed, but I need some width there (WB) 

WB on support also provides width (and even WB on defend will occasionally get forward and offer a wide passing option when he feels it would be safe enough). 

and I also want penetration from the midfield

You can get penetration from a BBM for example. But the problem here is not the CM on attack but the RWB also on attack. 

If I switch the midfield roles the CM(a) and IF(a) will end up in the same area's

I did not say that you should switch the CM roles. 

Any ideas on how to create more chances?

An optimal way of creating (more) chances depends on the type of your players, i.e. what are their strengths and weaknesses. I can give you some examples of good/decent 523 setups, but I can hardly know which one would best suit your team. I/we don't even know what your striker looks like in terms of attributes and traits, let alone the rest of players.

Your TIs look as though you want to play a rather patient possession-based style of football, but then your roles and especially duties are not ideally set up for such a style.

Another question is whether a 523 is the right formation for your team at all. 

Archived