Sun Postal Sports - A Spartan Challenge - FM15

JoeyBaldwin

Taking a team from the lowest playable league to the highest is one of the toughest challenges on Football Manager, as we all know, and it's one I've never managed to accomplish. I've taken Wycombe Wanderers to the Europa League on FM16, I've managed to start unemployed with no reputation and win two Champions League titles, and I've had a go at the 'Bottom To Top' challenge before, but never stuck at it long enough to make it happen. I managed to take Halifax Town from the Conference into the Champions League on the old Championship Manager 2006, but I had the Club Benefactor option ticked which gave me a significant advantage, and the game was relatively straightforward if you had your strikers on Gung Ho and Take Long Shots, so I don't really count that as an achievement.

Now, however, I'm going to attempt the Bottom To Top challenge, I'm going to stick at it for a long time, and I'm going to make the challenge much harder for myself, and much more interesting in my opinion, by downloading the 7th, 8th and 9th tiers of English football onto the game and trying to take a team from the 9th tier all the way to the Premier League.

In my U18 days I played for Marlow Town Youth, however the Marlow Town first team are in the Southern D1 Central, in the 8th tier, so I can't take them over to complete this challenge. However, there are teams I played against in those days who are in the tier below, and in the end I've settled for Sun Postal Sports as the team to base my career with.

The aim is simple. I want to take Sun Postal Sports from the Spartan South Midlands Football League all the way to the Premier League.

I'll be posting regular updates in this thread, so keep an eye out, and in the coming weeks and months hopefully we'll be making progress up the English football pyramid.

To provide some background to this challenge, here's some information about Sun Postal Sports, to understand the starting point of this challenge:

Sun Postal Sports, based in Watford, were formed way back in 1901, and are currently playing their football in the Spartan South Midlands Football League. Their home games are played at the Sun Postal Sports & Social Club, which has a capacity of 525. The club own their stadium, but its condition is Poor, and the club has Poor training facilities and Basic youth and corporate facilities. Furthermore, the club has Minimal junior coaching and Limited youth recruitment, so the infrastructure as a whole can only improve, and is definitely representative of a ninth tier club.

The media are predicting a relegation dogfight this season, with the club expected to come 19th out of the 22 teams in the league. In the Spartan South Midlands, two teams are relegated but only the champions are promoted, so getting out of the league will be a considerable challenge from the very start, no matter how strong a squad I can build at this level.

Financially, the semi-professional outfit are valued at £20K, with 65 season ticket holders paying £63 each for their season tickets. A match-day ticket costs £4. However, there is plenty of room to shape the playing squad in my first pre-season as the wage budget stands at £1.5K p/w, of which £1.3K p/w is remaining as I take over the club. This is good news as the playing squad I've inherited is extremely poor, so I'll be doing my best to overhaul this significantly throughout the course of pre-season.

The expectations of the board are as follows:

Spartan South Midlands Football League - stay clear of relegation.

FA Cup - be competitive.

FA Vase - reach the Second Qualifying Round.

Spartan South Midlands League Challenge Trophy - not expected to get beyond the Second Round.

Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division Cup - be competitive.

With regards to the opposition we'll be facing in the Spartan South Midlands this season, here's the media prediction of where each of the teams will end up:

1.  Wembley
  2.  Tring Athletic
  3.  Berkhamsted 
  4.  Hertford Town
  5.  Leverstock Green
  6.  Stotfold
  7.  Hillingdon Borough
  8.  St. Margaretsbury
  9.  AFC Dunstable
  10.  Ampthill Town
  11.  Harefield United
  12.  Biggleswade United