fm20 news

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the outcome of Brexit will be clearer on in FM2020. EPL wants 14 foreign player limit, the FA wants a 10 foreign player limit, so it will be between 10-14 and I've not heard any mention about wage limits on top of that in the press. 

2 hours ago, decapitated said:

At least the outcome of Brexit will be clearer on in FM2020. EPL wants 14 foreign player limit, the FA wants a 10 foreign player limit, so it will be between 10-14 and I've not heard any mention about wage limits on top of that in the press. 

Oww I've not seen that. That's the way it's shaping up is it? So with a 25 man squad shaping up like minimum 10 players must be English? Or British?

1 hour ago, markyosullivan said:

I hope FM isn't having an issue with Juventus like the way FIFA had

What was the issue? If it's over the name of the club and the kit, thats similar to what's happening currently in FM in the Brazilian leagues. If it's the name of the players it might be a bit more difficult.

1 hour ago, metallimuse said:

Oww I've not seen that. That's the way it's shaping up is it? So with a 25 man squad shaping up like minimum 10 players must be English? Or British?

It's reported for some time in the Times but I no longer read it so I'm unsure of the latest. Theres an agreement about it being between 10 and 14 foreigners (with the implication for those foreign players there will be no restrictions based on international caps like currently, so a South American can move just as easily as an EU national) but the FA and EPL can't agree on the exact number. 

14 minutes ago, decapitated said:

What was the issue? If it's over the name of the club and the kit, thats similar to what's happening currently in FM in the Brazilian leagues. If it's the name of the players it might be a bit more difficult.

It's reported for some time in the Times but I no longer read it so I'm unsure of the latest. Theres an agreement about it being between 10 and 14 foreigners (with the implication for those foreign players there will be no restrictions based on international caps like currently, so a South American can move just as easily as an EU national) but the FA and EPL can't agree on the exact number. 

FIFA weren't allowed to use their official name and official kits. The license was only granted to PES.

18 minuti fa, armbi ha scritto:

After playing about 60 hours of FM 19, I decided to quit until there is no significantly progress in the match engine :( Hope FM 2020 will surprise me.

I wouldn't expect a revolution... The current ME isn't old enough for SEGA/SI to introduce a new one (although it'd be a good idea).

IMO it's not *that* bad once you've learnt to live with its many quirks. This year it's the forwards' lack of movement and initiative. They get beaten by both opponents and teammates for the ball inside the box... Especially when playing with the lone striker, he'll score little, while wingers and CMs will reach double-digits with ease.

20 minutes ago, armbi said:

After playing about 60 hours of FM 19, I decided to quit until there is no significantly progress in the match engine :( Hope FM 2020 will surprise me.

About 1000+ here. I will buy FM 2020 after April 2020. I am not doing the same mistake like FM 2019; which I bought it since day one.

29 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Every ME has its quirks, and FM19's is no different. In my view, it's not even remotely as bad as many users make out. I certainly wouldn't expect SI to just rip it up and start again just because there are a few too many long shots, or because a small percentage of users can't get strikers to score 20+ goals.

I'm interested to know what exactly would please some of the more cynical users on here in terms of new features for FM20. VR integration? FIFA-style graphics? The ability to unleash a lion onto the pitch when you're 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go?

My point is that FM is already so detailed that I honestly can't think of any more 'ground-breaking' features SI could realistically introduce. I'd actually be okay with SI just improving what they already have, even if it would of course lead to the usual cries of, "It's just a glorified data update." :rolleyes:

FIFA graphics and the ability to spend some of the wages you've accumulated

5 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

FIFA graphics and the ability to spend some of the wages you've accumulated

To fund any coaching badges, I could agree with that. Just bear in mind that most of a manager's wages would go on personal stuff rather than on football.

Edited by CFuller

21 minutes ago, CFuller said:

To fund any coaching badges, I could agree with that. Just bear in mind that most of a manager's wages would go on personal stuff rather than on football.

Oh, I don't want this. I'm saying what the peanut gallery want

Fifa has come out with a manager mode. Not sure how big this is for FM players like us, But I have to say I will be defiminately checking it out for that reason. I said this a few months ago the big guys were coming after this game and want the people who play this to switch over and this years Fifa is the first sign of them really taken a turn towards that. And if and once they get it they'll ruin it like everything else. I'm still gonna check it out as I'm sure others will but will give SI one more year to see if the improvements are there... The engine needs fixing.

Edited by YUK0N

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

My point is that FM is already so detailed that I honestly can't think of any more 'ground-breaking' features SI could realistically introduce. I'd actually be okay with SI just improving what they already have, even if it would of course lead to the usual cries of, "It's just a glorified data update." :rolleyes:

I think better AI squad building and dynamic youth rating for countries would be two ground-breaking features. But I don't see those happen anytime soon, if at all.

4 minutes ago, YUK0N said:

Fifa has come out with a manager mode. Not sure how big this is for FM players like us, But I have to say I will be definately checking it out for that reason. I said this a few months ago the big guys were coming after this game and want the people who play this to sswitch over and this years Fifa is the first sign of them really taken a turn towqards that. And if and once they get it they'll ruin it like everything else. I'm still gonna check it out as I'm suure others will but will give SI one more year to see if the improvements are there... The engine needs fixing.

FIFA Career Mode - now that's something which has hardly changed at all over the last five years. :D

All I'm hearing about this is that more FIFA CM players are considering switching to FM (if they haven't done so already), rather than the other way round. That's a real sign of just how stagnant FIFA CM has become compared to FM.

Anyway, to stay on topic, please specify what you mean when you say "the engine needs fixing".

The FM engine it needs fixing and upgrading. And yes I know that the career mode has hardly been changed but from whats being said there really hoping this year that there have made bigger progress towards this. I doubt it will ever be as indept as FM but who knows.

"The ME needs fixing."

"What specifically needs fixing?"

"The ME needs fixing and upgrading."

You can't be serious right? Because if you are then I doubt you play in 3d as do others. When your seeing one thing and something else is what really happened. When you see graphics and animations glitch or just happen because the right animation isn't in there anyways. Its no where like what real soccer is like. And its outdated and it looks like its from 1990. If Fifa or Pes ever really did a Manager mode close to the depth of this game this game would be finished. I watch every game on faster speed even my friendly's. And after a while you notice other things to that you would not notice if you watch 2D and switch to 3D for highlights. Ive got almost 4000 hours in it and over ten straight seasons of watching every match. When you do that you realize the game is very unrealistic, you realize the engine is way outdated and and when you see it not being being fixed year after year and you see other games heading in the Manager mode way you realize that this game doesn't have a lot of time left and that's truly something I don't want to see happen.

i was born in 1965 and playing PONG at 5 this isn't a pissing contest I was exaggerating on purpose. So instead of arguing  with you Im done with the post Ive seen twice as much gaming in my time to know when something is in trouble. Especially when people wait for the price comedown to even buy the game now and then wish they hadn't because of the let down. This game is in trouble. The players know it at least some, I know it and the SI knows it and if they don't then its really in trouble cause if you get a few more just patched versions it's  gonna be done. Its My Prediction that I truly would hate to see. Im done responding to this and I really hope SI take note, Better yet I'm praying they already have long ago and that's what the wait is for.

9 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

"A few too many long shots" is the understatement of the decade... It's like saying Man City got a "modest increase in funding" since the Sheik took over...

A typical example of somebody taking a minor problem with the game and then blowing it completely out of proportion.

From my experience, about 20% of the goals I've seen on FM19 (across 12 seasons in three different saves) have come from outside the penalty area (if that's how you'd define a long shot). I don't know how that compares to real-life but I don't think it's too far off.

2 minuti fa, CFuller ha scritto:

From my experience, about 20% of the goals I've seen on FM19 (across 12 seasons in three different saves) have come from outside the penalty area (if that's how you'd define a long shot). I don't know how that compares to real-life but I don't think it's too far off.

I was more referring to those that DON'T end up on target...

"Too many long shots" and "too many goals from long shots" are two different, albeit related, issues...

The graphics (3D) really need some work. Granted it's not completely 1990 style, but if you look up older games such as PES 5 and Fifa 2004 the graphics on those still blow FM 19 out of the water. 

I play 2D simply because I think the 3D looks rubbish.

14 hours ago, CFuller said:

"The ME needs fixing."

"What specifically needs fixing?"

"The ME needs fixing and upgrading."

:seagull:

Just an example. 2 v 1 in attack phase. 2 strikers vs 1 defender. I have never see the striker to pass the ball to the other striker which will score easily in front of GK.

5 ore fa, Footix ha scritto:

The graphics (3D) really need some work. Granted it's not completely 1990 style, but if you look up older games such as PES 5 and Fifa 2004 the graphics on those still blow FM 19 out of the water. 

I play 2D simply because I think the 3D looks rubbish.

But again, in FIFA/PES the 3D match was the CORE of the game, so graphics had to be as good as possible, and so was the gameplay, in order to sell the game.

FM is mostly about managing a football club also between matches. The 3D engine is a visual rendition of our tactical choices, so having 30 different animations for a volley or for a save isn't really as important as devising an engine able to lead to those moves making sense in context.
I don't really care about how fluid and pleasing the animation of my striker trapping the ball for a cross from the right-wing, if I'm playing a narrow wingless formation where game is expected to go through the middle... I really care about the players doing what I've instructed them to do and said instructions to be followed closely and to yield what their names suggest.

Bascially this whole "the 3D ME looks awful, why can't it look like FIFA" complaints are out of place. It's like complaining about a top-of-the-line keyboard not sounding like a grand piano or like a Hammond organ. If you really NEED that sound, use the real thing. A keyboard though is much more versatile and "sounding like _____" is one of its many functions.

For GUI: I would love to see graphics like ANNO 1800, but it's not the selling point of this game. I am not hold my breath to see improvements at FM20 for this case; but dear SI if this not your selling point stop or remove some angles (like close-up or so much zoom in 3D). 

16 minuti fa, Neil Brock ha scritto:

Just to clarify, every single year I've worked at SI (this year is my 13th) there's been tweaks and improvements to AI transfers/squad building. 

I know and I've never said otherwise... Transfers have become more realistic, but some areas are still way too exploitable by human players, without even needing to actively "cheat" the AI:

Also just to clarify, the game doesn't use CA+PA+Reputation. It actually uses Estimated CA+PPA+Rep+Form+Performance. Also tied into the squad needs of course. 

Of course I can't say I know more than you about how the game works under the hood, but I maintain Reputation and whichever "version" of CA/PA play too big of a factor compared to Form+Performance.

Otherwise we wouldn't still have the typical "why aren't Top Clubs offering more than 5M for my 40-goals-per-season striker while I can sell all sort of unproven wonderkids for 10M?" scenario many who manage in smaller nations have been lamenting for years.
Again, it's not AS prevalent as it used to be, but ECA+PPA+Rep still play a huge role especially as far as young players are concerned.

I'll give you that at a higher level, say EPL or any other Big Five league, it's probably much easier and more common to get great money for a "mediocre" player who has been performing above his ability, but that's, again tied to Reputation. Accurate, yes. But it doesn't apply to players of similar quality but smashing it in a second-tier nation.

Everyone has different priorities. In this thread alone we've had some saying transfers, some saying the match engine. We work on all of it because we want the whole game to be better with each iteration. 

And I respect that, otherwise I'd have stopped purchasing the game year after year.

Still, the key factors that dictate AI activities do feel a bit "outdated" to me. I understand it's a tall order to come up with a working alternative (and with one that won't turn the entire gameworld into a mess), I understand the current system is time-tested and we've reached a reasonable balance. But there will be a point when it won't cut it anymore and no amount of tweaks will salvage it.

Be intrigued to see what's new this year.

Eventually, you feel, FM will hit a wall when it comes to new features. The game of football itself has only developed so much in recent years; at least in such a way that FM can portray/allow users to interact with from a manager's perspective.

A big challenge ahead that's for sure - ME/graphical updates will be key to its longevity.

Re: graphics, while the graphical representation is always less important than the engine behind it, I've seen enough threads on here where people raise things they believe are bugs with the ME only to realise its likely the graphics not being able to render a particular situation properly. 

Never settle. When so many people people use the 3D engine I think it makes sense to focus on that too. For immersion. For a better game experience overall. 

AI squad building and some ludicrous transfer fee demands I've seen could be worked on.

I kept trying to sign a good young English CM from Man City whom wasn't playing at all and with 6 months of his contract left and a valuation of £15m they were demanding £70m+.  I then lost him as Sporting Lisbon signed him up on a bosman....

Other than that a couple more official leagues would be nice although I appreciate that's research dependent.  I am still surprised Cyprus (the 15th best league in Europe) isn't included in the base game considering nearly every other league in the top 30 or so is.  Africa could do with leagues other than South Africa too (particularly one of the North African leagues) and there is still nothing official at all in Western Asia.  Crazy we can manage in Singapore and Hong Kong but not Saudi Arabia or Iran.

I don't expect FIFA graphic, but when I hear every year about magic "1000+ animations" and then barley can see it in ME it is pretty disappointing. I asked Miles on twitter about dribbling animations before FM 17 releasing, he said there would be "some". We have FM19 on board never seen any. Ok ME is quite good, but I think not enough time is devoted to really improve it, we are given only casual info about 1000+ NEW animations.

Summarizing - I don't want to complain but I have a feeling that there are part of the game not that important yet announced as new features (just to say - look every year we give you some new staff) and the heart of the game is actually neglected.