FM09 : Official Stoke City Thread

TigerTime

I have a tactic up in the tactics section titled something along the lines of 4-4-2 and mentioning Keirrison with 125 goals in a season. It kept me up in the first season and took me on from there.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey,

just started up FM2009 and a Stoke career. Preseason is going ok so far, winning 3-1 at Charlton and 3-2 at Colchester. But I'm having a bit of trouble signing players. With the new patch Stoke get no money, so you have to sell. Got rid of Cresswell for 300k and Pericard for about 190k (Over some months). I realise that it wasn't alot for a 1.2 million rated player, but I just wanted to get him off my wage bill and generally off my team. Managed to sell Simonsen to Chelsea for 3 million. Don't know if that's a glitch, but it gave me some needed transfer funds. Went and bought Robert Lewandowski for 825k and got Razvan Rat (Spell?) on aloan with a view to a permanent move of about 2.5 mill. (I had to get a replacement for Dickinson, he just isn't prem standard. So I know it's a bit more than I would have wanted to pay but I'll just have to live with it). I see alot of people have been recommending (Jean-Claude?) Darcheville, but I don't think he's an easy signing in the 9.0.3 Patch. He is playing for Valenciennes and is a first team member, must have been a recent transfer. Anyway, does anyone have any good recommendations for cheap prem- standard players?

I have English, Italian, German and Spanish Leagues loaded, with a medium database. (Computer is pretty slow). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

(I have 525k left for transfers).

Welcome ProLagJoe, if you take a scan back you will see all different players that we have brought over the seasons, can't remember prices and everything of top of my head.

Just a small update from me.. With personal matters being attended to ive not had much time for FM :( but.. im recently started 2012-13 and after winning the Champions League i was looking for a big expectation.. but for some reason.. its minium of 1st Knockout Round.

From my last post.. i stated that i rejected the post of Sweden Manager and stated how I hate England post never becoming available... couple weeks later.. BANG Capello resigns, i put my CV forward and im now currently Stoke / England Manager.

Pre Friendlies went well as planned and the start of the season even better, after 8 games im currently sitting 4th after losing just 2 games.

Future updates to come when available.

i stated that i rejected the post of Sweden Manager and stated how I hate England post never becoming available... couple weeks later.. BANG Capello resigns, i put my CV forward and im now currently Stoke / England Manager.

Well done, just try not to get knocked out in a quarter final by Portugal. :o

Hey,

just started up FM2009 and a Stoke career. Preseason is going ok so far, winning 3-1 at Charlton and 3-2 at Colchester. But I'm having a bit of trouble signing players. With the new patch Stoke get no money, so you have to sell. Got rid of Cresswell for 300k and Pericard for about 190k (Over some months). I realise that it wasn't alot for a 1.2 million rated player, but I just wanted to get him off my wage bill and generally off my team. Managed to sell Simonsen to Chelsea for 3 million. Don't know if that's a glitch, but it gave me some needed transfer funds. Went and bought Robert Lewandowski for 825k and got Razvan Rat (Spell?) on aloan with a view to a permanent move of about 2.5 mill. (I had to get a replacement for Dickinson, he just isn't prem standard. So I know it's a bit more than I would have wanted to pay but I'll just have to live with it). I see alot of people have been recommending (Jean-Claude?) Darcheville, but I don't think he's an easy signing in the 9.0.3 Patch. He is playing for Valenciennes and is a first team member, must have been a recent transfer. Anyway, does anyone have any good recommendations for cheap prem- standard players?

I have English, Italian, German and Spanish Leagues loaded, with a medium database. (Computer is pretty slow). Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

(I have 525k left for transfers).

Good start. I'd recomend having a look at Binya, Darcheville, Edgar Davids and Ian Walker. All are good back-up players and should require fees over 250k.

Good start. I'd recomend having a look at Binya, Darcheville, Edgar Davids and Ian Walker. All are good back-up players and should require fees over 250k.

Thanks. Darcheville had first team commitments though, but I signed Davids and Binya. :thup:

I started again recently with Stoke, with the latest patch. I got a few million to spend in January, so signed Arouna Kone, who scored enough to keep me up. In the summer though, I signed Ivan Helguera, Alexey Smertin and Kiko to bolster the squad, plus a couple others. Darcheville started the game at Rangers, in 9.1 so that is where he was recommended from. Kiko isn't that worthwhile a signing, but Smertin I would definitely recommend, played amazing alongside Whelan in the middle first season, and became a good back up for Isaac Vorsah as of January the second season.

I started again recently with Stoke, with the latest patch. I got a few million to spend in January, so signed Arouna Kone, who scored enough to keep me up. In the summer though, I signed Ivan Helguera, Alexey Smertin and Kiko to bolster the squad, plus a couple others. Darcheville started the game at Rangers, in 9.1 so that is where he was recommended from. Kiko isn't that worthwhile a signing, but Smertin I would definitely recommend, played amazing alongside Whelan in the middle first season, and became a good back up for Isaac Vorsah as of January the second season.

How did Helguera do? He's getting on abit.

He did quite well, didn't get ahead of Faye or Shawcross in the centreback pairing, but was more sturdy than Sonko and Cort. Also allowed me to bring him in cheaply, on only 3k a week, and let Cort go in January for 2m which brought in some much needed revenue.

I've finished the second season, I've still got my other save going, it's just a tad tedious as a save overall because my strikers are hitting almost 100 goals a season where the rest of the league has weakened that much and my side are so strong in comparison. In the third season, my Stoke team were again predicted a finish of 20th by the media (we were also predicted last season, when Barnsley had got promoted which was actually quite offending really lol, given Barnsley were lucky to get promoted in some regards considering they are championship relegation contenders usually.

But yea, a front line of Nilmar, Arouna Kone, Alexander Kerzakhov and Fuller are doing really quite well, Gonzalez and D'Alessandro on the wings provide a lot of support as do Whelan and Vorsaah in the middle. One thing I've tried my best to do on this save is avoid the forums for good players to buy, everyone I've brought has been as a result of scouting and player searches which has made me feel really proud about it, given that I also use my own tactics. Currently 8th in the table, have already beaten Arsenal and drew with Man Utd. Last season to survive I beat Chelsea and Arsenal then in 2 of my last 4 games, when I was really expecting to go down but it was enough in the end.

Indeed I am, it's hard to truly understand even for me why it happens, but I have some world class players; in my other save come January both my CM's have over 25 assists, my wingers have over 15, my full backs over 10 and my centre backs over 5. My targetman has over 40 assists already, and then given in the players that swap with them through injuries etc that figure goes up higher overall.

The only thing I can really point to is that overall, the premiership is a much weaker league than it used to be, Cardiff, Watford, Leeds etc are a few of the biggest teams in the premiership now, because they actually have manages on over like 10k a week, who are quite good. Arsenal, Chelsea etc have managers on low wages, just high reputations which means they're not identifying good players to buy like these other teams are, and are unable to adequately replace their current players who are getting older and slower with each passing season.

Well now, I have it working with:

Sorensen

Branko Ilic - Ryan Shawcross - Gabriel Tamas - Fabian Monzon

Andres D'Alessandro - Isaac Vorsah - Riquelme - Mark Gonzalez

Alexander Kerzhakhov - Nilmar

Currently 7th in January, with a team predicted to finish 20th. Those players have the kind of stats you should be looking for, but to a fair bit of a lesser degree than my other Stoke team, just looking for pace and strength through the team. It's hard to say specifically what makes every position but, most of my players in my Stoke team that lay waste to everyone, are pretty much around 15 in all the key areas but all around as well, I mean I had full backs who could cross, pass, dribble, finish reasonably well, shoot from distance etc.

I am thinking about it, but he is attracting interest from higher up than he did in 9.1, and I can't get him for 11m which I paid for before, they rejected a bit of 18m which pretty much ended my interest in him and went for Nilmar for 15m.

What's perhaps shocking with Stoke, is the budget you get to avoid relegation, after 0 in the first season, next season I had 32m to attempt to avoid relegation, this season 45m to attempt to avoid relegation. Of course, the limiting factor is the fact the bank balance can't actually cover these budgets, and I still have to sell to buy sometimes.

Not that much really, this season to avoid relegation, Stoke spent 26/27m. So going up by 5m isn't all that much really, I was shocked by it going up to 45m but again that wasn't affordable, it was more just the chairman giving me the backing I may need. I can see Stoke spending up to 30m this season, so I feel it's quite accurate at the moment lol.

geez, im in season 2012-13 and I was only given 27m for top table finish. Saying that ive still struggled to find players that can fit into my system of play or to act as a backup for a posititon. Currently looking for LB, everywhere else is pretty much sorted. My Squad as it stands

GK: Diego Cavalieri / Sergio Asenjo

RB: Nenad Tomovic / Anthony Vanden Borre

LB: Daniel Congre / Rafael Forster

CB: Ryan Shawcross / Jamie Waggett

CB: Kyriakos Papadopoulos / Bradley Knight

DM: Jack Cork / Lee Cattermole

CM: Pablo Piatti / Glenn Whelan

RW: Georginio Wijnaldum / Tom Soares

LW: Juan Angel Albin / Luca Tremolada

ST: Keirrison / Daniele Vantaggiato

ST: Jozy Altidore / Robert Lewandowski

I currently playing my own tactics (as usual) as 4-1-3-2 and my strongest team is as follows:

------------------------------Keirrison--------Jozy Altidore------------------------------

--Juan Angel Albin--------------------Pablo Piatti--------------------Georginio Wijnaldum--

----------------------------------------Jack Cork----------------------------------------

--Daniel Congre-------Rafael Forster---------------Ryan Shawcross-------Nenad Tomovic--

--------------------------------------Diego Cavalieri-------------------------------------

I'm currently 10 games into 2012-13, won 6, lost 2 and drew 2. Sitting top of my Group Stage in the Champions League after 2 wins and 1 draw.

So overall I think that im doing good.

Any imput is apreciated.

By the time you get to 2012/13 there should be a lot of class regens. You need to increase your scouting team and get them scouting as many places as possible, on my other Stoke save I've got 19 scouts 18 in various regions, and 1 just roaming around the world. They find massive amounts of talent, and just searching every season or allowed me to begin to piece together my team.

Piatti definitely in my opinion isn't a midfielder, I had him for 2 seasons, and he scored over 25 each season upfront before Arsenal took him from me. Before I had Keirrison and Elmander, my strikeforce was Piatti and Altidore - which catapulted me up the table.

geez, im in season 2012-13 and I was only given 27m for top table finish. Saying that ive still struggled to find players that can fit into my system of play or to act as a backup for a posititon. Currently looking for LB, everywhere else is pretty much sorted. My Squad as it stands

GK: Diego Cavalieri / Sergio Asenjo

RB: Nenad Tomovic / Anthony Vanden Borre

LB: Daniel Congre / Rafael Forster

CB: Ryan Shawcross / Jamie Waggett

CB: Kyriakos Papadopoulos / Bradley Knight

DM: Jack Cork / Lee Cattermole

CM: Pablo Piatti / Glenn Whelan

RW: Georginio Wijnaldum / Tom Soares

LW: Juan Angel Albin / Luca Tremolada

ST: Keirrison / Daniele Vantaggiato

ST: Jozy Altidore / Robert Lewandowski

I currently playing my own tactics (as usual) as 4-1-3-2 and my strongest team is as follows:

------------------------------Keirrison--------Jozy Altidore------------------------------

--Juan Angel Albin--------------------Pablo Piatti--------------------Georginio Wijnaldum--

----------------------------------------Jack Cork----------------------------------------

--Daniel Congre-------Rafael Forster---------------Ryan Shawcross-------Nenad Tomovic--

--------------------------------------Diego Cavalieri-------------------------------------

I'm currently 10 games into 2012-13, won 6, lost 2 and drew 2. Sitting top of my Group Stage in the Champions League after 2 wins and 1 draw.

So overall I think that im doing good.

Any imput is apreciated.

Nice team and some good British players you've got there. Please may you post a screenie of Jack Cork? I'm intrested how well he has developed. as well I'd swap Keirrisson for Altorde and use Altorde as a super-sub.

Nice team and some good British players you've got there. Please may you post a screenie of Jack Cork? I'm intrested how well he has developed. as well I'd swap Keirrisson for Altorde and use Altorde as a super-sub.

Will post a pic of Jack Cork tonight, He likes to smash them from long range for me :D

I'm not a big fan of buying English players on my game unfortunately lol, I have Isaac Vorsah who is much the same bought him from Hoffenheim I think after my scout recommended a bunch of their players to me. I can't afford to buy English players though really lol, as I said, I'm really pleased with the route I've gone down, during this save I've avoided looking at any and all player threads, didn't go for any players I knew came good from my first stoke game (like Albin, Altidore or Regini - although nearly broke it with Keirrison lol) all my purchases have been the product of filter searches or scout reports which has made the game feel much more satisfying lol.

Piatti behind the main 2 could work though, never had too much success when I tried to play a supporting man just behind the front two.

I think the regens may have been tweaked in 9.3 or I've got incredibly fortunate, I've still got the standard facilities but a 3rd good regen in 2 seasons came through this year. I've got a striker who I'll put a screenie up of later, and 2 midfielders who I really want to bring on, 2 5* potential and 1 7* potential (the striker) as I've never managed to actually bring any academy talent through on any of my games. Well I've developed them well, but they've never made the first team.

The young striker is tearing up the league for Stafford though, last season he fired them to promotion from the BSN in just over half a season, and he's keeping them up this season. Another season or two with Stafford, hopefully with them progressing should help him develop along the right lines enough to be good for me, but he may have to go to league 1 or league 2 for fulltime training or something because as he gets closer to 18 I think he'll be better suited on full time senior regimes lol.

Santy001, its always better when you bring players through the academy and find your own rather than what others suggest.

Ive had a few youngsters come through, ill get screenshots..

TigerJoe, here is Jack Cork...

JackCork-1.jpg

eddyrick

Thanks for the screenie. Jack Cork looks exceptionally good on your game. Normally on my games he only turns into a L1/Championship player.

Both of them regens as well look like they could become decent players, did you snatch then from another club or did your ass man recruit them?

Finished the third season in 9th on my game, quite likely I'd have made europe had the chairman not sold Nilmar to Man Utd and sold my right winger on the last day of the transfer window (for less than I paid for him 12 months earlier too) and this summer as the season came to a close I saw I had 23m in the bank, and lined up about 15m worth of transfers, only for the board to go and spend 21m on facilities and stadium expansions.

Means I'll be forced to sell a couple players I'd like to have kept a hold on now but Tom Soares has been attracting 5-6m bids which has been nice, I will probably sell him this summer now as I'm bringing in 2 right midfielders and he may no longer be needed.

Finished the third season in 9th on my game, quite likely I'd have made europe had the chairman not sold Nilmar to Man Utd and sold my right winger on the last day of the transfer window (for less than I paid for him 12 months earlier too) and this summer as the season came to a close I saw I had 23m in the bank, and lined up about 15m worth of transfers, only for the board to go and spend 21m on facilities and stadium expansions.

Means I'll be forced to sell a couple players I'd like to have kept a hold on now but Tom Soares has been attracting 5-6m bids which has been nice, I will probably sell him this summer now as I'm bringing in 2 right midfielders and he may no longer be needed.

Unlucky, ive been quite lucky that my chairman hasn't stuck his nose into transfers except once.. which was 30m for Guiliherme who i payed 3m for ;) 27m profit.

Just a small update, ive hit xmas in 2012 and just won the Club Championships, who would have thought Stoke City World Champions.

League: sitting 2nd currently 2 points of Man Utd.

League Cup: Knocked out in 3rd Round (tried to be cocky with reserves / youngsters)

FA Cup: playing Notts County in 3rd Round after New Year.

Champions League: Qualified Group Stages in 1st place

Shaping up to be another good season :D

just another small update as im starting to play FM alittle more now :D

Coming towards end of the January 2013.

Beat Man Utd to go top of the Premier league for the first time :D and im currently 3 points clear.

Beat Notts County in the 3rd Round of the FA Cup

Made a few signings to bolster the squad as it was wearing thin in defence and midfield.

I will get the list of signings as i can't remember them all right now. The only one i can remember off top of my head is Jose Baxter who i brought from Rangers for 1M.

I will play till end of the season for my next update (promise) ;)

Does anyone here remember Sambegou Bangoura? For that matter, Johan Boskamp and his terrible signings? The only good to come out of that whole crappy fiasco was Mama Sidibe.

God, I have a serious urge to play FM06 or FM07, just to see how bad Stoke used to be before Pulis and Coates.

Sidibe was a Pulis signing, he signed a couple of weeks before Pulis got sacked. Imo during the boskamp season Hoefkens & Junior were quite good signings, Kopteff had some potential but got injured and rarely had the chance to show what he could do. To be fair it wasn't that bad a season under boskamp, things got silly towards the end but we still finished mid-table which was what really was expected at the start of the season.

Martin Kolar also played absolutely immense in the pre-season friendly against Man City, and in the first game against Sheffield Wednesday that season, but he sort of fell into anonymity once he was unable to get any space on the pitch.

Bangoura could have been great for us with the right attitude, until JB came this season he had the best start as being a stoke striker.

Stoke were quite good on FM07 with Bangoura in the team, he was really highly rated at the start, I used to always sign Danny Haynes to play up front alongside him and walk the championship lol.

Hello

I have just started a new game with the mighty Potters. I went onto the editor and changed all the leagues so Burnley are in the prem Newcastle are in the ccc etc.

The first thing I have done is sell Cresswell for 1 mill. to Wolves (Dont ask me how just offered him to clubs for a mill and they offered it straight out). Also sold Fuller to Fulham for £5.75 mil.

First purchase is Lewandowski for £1.3 mil.

Now looking for a left back, a winger and an attacking midfielder.

Just started a game with Stoke an I haven't played FM since the 07 version so I am a little out of touch. What kind of players are we looking to sign for a Stoke team?

I have played my first 4 games ( tough fixtures) but only managed 2 points.

0 - 0 V Arsenal ( H )

0 - 2 V Bolton ( A )

0 - 2 V Aston Villa ( H )

3 - 3 V Liverpool ( A )

The Liveropol one I was 2-0 down with 20 mins left, then 3-2 up with 90 mins played. They scored in the 95th minute, arrrgh!

Brought a couple of players in, a LB called Rat and an AMC called Borges. There were a couple other cheap players but I cant remember them now.

Apart from the Liverpool fixtures I have struggled to score, which is worrying. Also the Bolton game I had Amdy Faye in stead of the abo Faye, I let an easy goal in down the middle too so was a lttle angry at me about that haha!

In season 1 I'd play very direct and defensively but make sure you make use of Delaps long throws by setting up a good throw in system (bottom of player instructions). The Stoke defense is pretty solid as is the Strikers. The midfield may be needed improving a bit but it's ok if you don't. Try too grind out results and sign players with high determination, bravery, strength and aggresion. Hopefully you'll survive, next season you will get a very big budget and this can be used too change the team round completely. Ship-out most of the players and sign good quality players.

One thing that is imperative is to get in a pacey striker, whilst fuller is quite quick off the mark you really need someone with about 17 pace or more to truly help get results. It's a huge bonus to have one, or a player around that mark, in January of the first season I bought Arouna Kone from Sevilla, and between the end of January and the end of the season he scored 11 goals that kept me up (a lot like James Beattie really... who unfortunately is terrible at stoke on fm at the moment).

If you're struggling to score it may be tactical though, and the tactics forum is the best place to address that.

Thanks for the feedback guys...

A Pacey striker, that is a good idea. I was under the impression I would bulk up my defence and stay up from scraping out 1-0 wins and getting some vital draws away. Though I suppose attack is the best form of defence :o

I've gone back to my other stoke save where I have my team of worldbeaters and 100 goal a season strikers lol. Quite surprised to see a finnish tycoon looking to buy Tony Scholes out for £1.07bn so I'm hoping this will finally see the club get a new stadium built. Despite dominating the league my side hasn't been too great in the champions league with 2 wins in the final and 2 losses in the final after 8 campaigns. So I bought Keirrison back at age 30 for 97m and a great midfielder from Roma called James Ford for 80m. They can't play in this years champions league as I got them in January, but come next season hopefully bolstered by this tycoons promise of £650m I will be able to buy even more high end players to cement the squad.

I've gone back to my other stoke save where I have my team of worldbeaters and 100 goal a season strikers lol. Quite surprised to see a finnish tycoon looking to buy Tony Scholes out for £1.07bn so I'm hoping this will finally see the club get a new stadium built. Despite dominating the league my side hasn't been too great in the champions league with 2 wins in the final and 2 losses in the final after 8 campaigns. So I bought Keirrison back at age 30 for 97m and a great midfielder from Roma called James Ford for 80m. They can't play in this years champions league as I got them in January, but come next season hopefully bolstered by this tycoons promise of £650m I will be able to buy even more high end players to cement the squad.

Wow, I've never spent that much on any player. I always try to get as cheap as possible, I hate paying loads for players.

Well I have spent big in the past, but usually in most seasons before this tycoon takeover, because I knew the club couldn't really afford to despite its huge cash reserves I'd only spend a couple million on transfers each season but rake in over 20m a season from players going out.

This season I spent 135m on the best left back in my game, a regen and whilst its a lot admittedly, it has paid off dividends already with a much tighter defence, and I bought a new right winger for 63m. When your bank balance is 900m it tends to get boring seeing it there week in week out, and know if I let it get to 1bn then 300 million or so just automatically gets withdrawn, so might as well spend it.

Ha, sounds awesome to have that much money. Though to be fair Man City should have that sort of money at the start, even if they already have enough. Not like Stoke. Real life Pulis spent 20m. FM you get 5m, then on the update you get nothing. I know it's because he's done the transfers so spent the money, but you should still get some. Annoying, but i'll just have to live with it.

Archived