Insane Tackles

May be one for the tactics & training forum, but looking for some general advice on one of my biggest frustrations in FM2019 - slide tackles. I'm currently playing in Scottish League 2, and see a surprisingly large number of successful slide challenges - both from myself and from the opposition (though I often play "Stay on Feet", so it doesn't occur as often for my own team). At the end of a game I regularly see the opposition tackling %age as 100%. In addition to this, I rarely see yellow/ red cards for these kinds of challenges, and feel booking rates in general to be very low. In over 3 seasons I don't think I've ever had a penalty awarded - either for or against - due to one of these "robust" slide tackles. Considering the penalty rules in real life, this does not seem to be particularly realistic.

I'd like to know if there's any way I can play against this, tactically? Generally during the game I see my players (usually wingers, creative midfielders) attempting to dribble, invariably to be stopped by a picture perfect slide tackle from the opposition. It also doesn't seem to matter if the opposition has poor tackling/ work rate/ aggression stats (I often check during the game, and would understand if they were N'Golo Kante-esque, but often they are 3's, 4's etc.).

The issue seems to be exacerbated by whenever I deselect "Dribble More", my players just STOP dribbling entirely, and then my team struggles to get up the pitch. So my options either seem to be dribble until tackled or stand still and hoof the ball forward aimlessly, no middle-ground. Some of my players have the Trait "Knocks Ball Past Opponent" but I don't think I've ever seen this enacted.

Is anyone experiencing similar? Is there a good way to counter this? Higher Tempo? More Direct? Pass into Space? Take More Risks? Take Less Risks? I'm pretty much constantly tinkering but nothing seems to make much difference.

Or is this just a ME "Bug" that I have to tolerate?

Grateful for any thoughts/ advice.

Can you post a screenshot of your tactic for starters? Let's first see if there are any obvious issues with your tactical setup, because usually it is where the source of most problems is. I mean, you cannot change the way other teams play. You can only improve yours own.

Well indeed, which is why I didn't originally post in the tactics forum, as I'm not sure it's something I can even effect. I watch all games full highlights so it's likely much more apparent to me. 

I cant currently post my tactics but generally play a Balanced 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with very basic positions: GKd, FBs, CDd, CDc, FBs, Ws, CMd, CMs, Wa, PFs, Pa etc.

I don't use a lot of team instructions, generally just vary the passing length and tempo.

Truthfully I dont see how any tactical adjustment would stop these perfect slide tackles and am a little surprised it's not something experienced by others. I see a lot of these types of challenges going unpunished but the majority of 50/50 stand up tackles resulting in free kicks. Feels like the balance is slightly off, but happy to be proved wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived